[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: WWE AEW.jpg (36 KB, 800x421)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
As someone who hasn't really paid attention to pro wrestling the last year or two, can someone explain to me the backstory of AEW? Is it worth checking out? All I've seen is a bit where Chris Jericho was in the ring with some other guys. I know Cody Rhodes is there too.

Does it suffer from the same thing TNA/Impact suffered from? Older WWE talent jumping ship over? I mean I guess with Jericho there that's one..
>>
>>12931894
it’s wwe lite. if you like wwe you’ll like it
>>
>>12931924
Last thing of WWE I watched was Undertaker vs AJ Styles and Bray Wyatt vs John Cena at last years WrestleMania. Been a very long time since I sat down and watched an entire episode of Raw or Smackdown.
>>
It's a boring indy tier show for smarks where dimeless WWE rejects get to fulfill their childhood fantasies of being big deal and getting a clue.
>>
>>12931894
tranny
>>
>>12931894
AEW was formed because Tony Khan wanted to join the wrestling circle but he couldn't buy WWE at that time so he made his own promotions with the Elite, the "best" workers from the west in Japan and took Jericho and a few old wrestler to guide the new generation.
While I think AEW is better than WWE just for the sheer factor of not making me sleep like WWE does, some still complain about it.
>>
AEW is a mixed bag. When a Dynamite is good it's very good and when it's bad it's really bad. No one is really super old in AEW though besides Jericho and Christopher Daniels but Daniels barely wrestles and Jericho is clearly trying to use his time to push Sammy and MJF.
>>
>>12931965
Whose Tony Khan?
>couldn't buy WWE
As long as Vince McMahon is alive I do not think he will ever sale the WWE. Now when he's dead and Steph/Triple H are in charge.. maybe. But by that point it might be too dead to sale.
>>
>>12931894
AEW ppvs are pretty good. Watch Full Gear
>>
>>12931967
Christopher Daniels is there? Nice.
>>
How far back do you want me to go? There's a version that starts in 2019, a version that starts in 2018 and a version that starts in 2017.
>>
>>12932359
To get the heart of the story, you have to go back to the beginning.
So the beginning, please and thank you.
>>
>>12932419
Alright.

On January 4 2017, in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 11, New Japan Pro Wrestling's biggest show of the year, Kenny Omega faced Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. In addition to the event being a financial success, continuing the upward momentum New Japan had been gaining for the last couple years, the main event of Omega vs. Okada got instant and near universal acclaim. The buzz around the match gave New Japan a lot of exposure to new fans, particularly in the West and this led to New Japan beginning a western expansion effort that was predicated highly on the popularity of Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks (and to a lesser extent, other wrestlers like Cody and Marty Scurll). This included creating a new title, the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship, which they placed on Omega.

Near the end of 2017, Omega was challenged by Chris Jericho, whose contract with WWE had ended earlier that year. At Wrestle Kingdom 12, the two had a match that, again, was a big financial success, with over 10,000 more tickets sold and 50,000 additional subscriptions to New Japan World, their streaming service and, again, had a lot of critical acclaim (although most nowadays would say Omega/Jericho doesn't hold up as well as Omega/Okada). This match and the international attention it garnered, got the attention of Tony Khan (son of Shaid Khan, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham F.C.) and Kevin Reilly (then executive at WarnerMedia, in charge of content for TNT, TBS and TruTV). The two got the idea that there was room for an alternative wrestling company to WWE, that it could be a ratings success.

Will continue, stand by.
>>
>>12932687
Standing by and monitoring.
>>
>>12931894
Impact is great in it's own right. They finally became their own thing even if their own thing is a weird wrestling purgatory that is part comedy and part Twin Peaks level storylines.

AEW is typically good to great and for the first time since the territory days, they've got working relationships with Impact, NWA, AAA, and it looks like the Forbidden Door with NJPW is being knocked down too. The only people who hate it are anti-smark E-drones who have hate watched their own product for two decades, can't defend their own product, and suffer from a mixture of sunken cost fallacy and battered wife syndrome to the point where if they see fans of other companies actually enjoying their preferred product they resort to REEEEEEEEING about how THE WRESTLING I WATCH SUCKS SO ALL WRESTLING SUCKS NOW!!! ALL WRESTLING IS DEAD!!
>>
>>12932755
I loved watching Impact when the Decay were feuding with the Hardys. Even after it was over I still watched for Rosemary/Allie.
>>
>>12932718
Meanwhile, in May 2017, Dave Meltzer was asked by a fan if RoH could sell out a 10k seat arena. Meltzer said not anytime soon. Cody said he would take that bet. He and the Young Bucks spent the next year setting up and promoting an event called All In, an event that had wrestlers from New Japan, Ring of Honor, AAA, Impact, the indies, which took place on September 1, 2018. It was an instant sellout of 11,000 fans, garnered 50,000 buys on PPV and was again seen as a demonstration of the idea that there was room in the marketplace for an alternative to WWE in major league American wrestling.

Throughout the rest of 2018, rumors began kicking around, that Jericho and Jim Ross were involved in the creation of a new wrestling company, that numerous members of the Elite would not be at the RoH/NJPW cross-branded event G1 Supercard event planned for Wrestlemania weekend in 2019. On January 1st, 2019, All Elite Wrestling, was announced, owned and run by Tony Khan, a lifelong wrestling fan and an executive for his family's teams, Fulham and the Jaguars, with Cody Rhodes, the Young Bucks and, eventually, Kenny Omega as Executive Vice Presidents and Chris Jericho as one of the company's first talent signings.

Their first show was Double or Nothing in May of 2019, another instant sellout of 11,000 attendance and a buyrate of 100,000. Jon Moxley, the former Dean Ambrose, would debut at the show, Chris Jericho would go on to become the first AEW World Champion and in October, the company would premiere on TNT with AEW Dynamite. In January of 2020, amidst the show's initial ratings success, they were given an early renewal from Warner for 3 years at 45 million dollars per year. Nothing close to the literal billion dollar deals that WWE makes for their content, but a great success for an upstart company and enough to keep them stable during the covid pandemic, where they've been forced to run shows out of Daly's Place, an open-air building owned by the Khan family.
>>
File: matt_mist.gif (2.54 MB, 200x112)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB GIF
>>12932789
Sadly, only Rosemary and Crazzy Steve remain. And Matt Hardy has been on Impact the past few weeks doing crossover stuff.
>>
>>12932812
Steve came back?
Heh those Decay/Hardyz segments were great. My favorite is when Matt got shocked in the testicles by Abyss.

>>12932801
Nice nice.
So that's where Dean went.
>>
>>12932718
>>12932801
To answer your question about WWE talent and how they use them, AEW has a lot of ex-WWE talent and they push a lot of them in main event positions, there have been PPV main events and championship matches that were purely ex-WWE talent (Jon Moxley vs. Chris Jericho, Cody vs. Chris Jericho, Cody vs. Brodie Lee, etc.). But there's a couple things that are different about it.

First off, EVERYBODY has worked for WWE, now. WWE signs everybody, because they can afford to sign everybody in order to keep them from working elsewhere and making anybody else more money. There's actually a bit of an arms race going on where anybody with a modicum of talent or potential is getting snapped up by WWE, AEW or NJPW. It's becoming a problem and the indies are as stripped clean as they've ever been as a result.

Second, AEW utilizes their ex-WWE talent differently. A lot of the guys they've gotten are younger, hungry guys, who were frustrated with their position in WWE, like Moxley or older guys who are trying to put a bow on their career and give something to the next generation, like Sting. Not all of them have been hits, FTR (formerly the Revival) and Miro (formerly Rusev) have had mixed reviews. The show as a whole isn't perfect, sometimes they put out some real clunkers, but it's carved out a niche as an alternative product and regularly does well on its night.

And ironically enough, since you mentioned TNA, they're currently doing a cross-promotional feud with Impact, where Kenny Omega is likely going to be challenging for the Impact World Championship.
>>
There's this guy called Darby who doesn't give a fuck about anything
He bumps for our sins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-EAaCWrMHM
>>
>>12932870
Yep, Steve's back. Also, Motor City Machine Guns came back in a total surprise. Would have been nice to have a crowd for that one.

https://youtu.be/8YhYNQsMgUc
>>
>>12932910
I may very well have to check it all out then. Glad to see the other wrestling companies clawing for their spot.
>>
>>12932930
>Motor City Machine Guns
That takes me back.
>looks at video
Oh I can feel the feels.
>>
>>12932954
Rn it's a good time to get in. Revolution is at the start of next month and there's some heavy shit going on
Just watch last week's episode
>>
>>12932954
Watch last week and this week episode. It should be fine and a good way to see what AEW is about, for better or worse.
>>
>>12931894
Some marks couldn't get over in WWE and decided to make their own company where they flip around and turned their gay inside jokes into storylines and nobody watches it
>>
>>12933139
Is that really the best you can do? Seriously. The others drew it out for OP. If that's the best you got no wonder the WWE is going down the drain.
>>
>>12933159
Lol notice you can't refute anything I said
>>
>>12932687
>>12932801

Compared too >>12933139

And this toddler >>12933179 wonders why nobody takes him seriously.
>>
>>12932996
Where can I watch it?
>>
>>12933159
Cut him a break. A senile out of touch old man whose idea of the height of humor is "poo poo pee pee now mommy has to change me" is solely in charge of writing the wrestling he watches.
>>
>>12933231
http://watchprowrestling.com/ to get caught up and for live events, taima is your friend.
>>
>>12933218
Drones are such joyless cucks lol

>>12933231
TNT
>>
>>12933218
Brevity is the soul of wit
AEW is shit
>>
>>12933218
I accept your concession
>>
File: 0034.jpg (39 KB, 601x508)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>I accept your concession
>>
>>12933303
no argument? concession accepted as I said
>>
>>12933319
What is the point in arguing with someone who only used buzzwords in their original post as opposed to a well thought out lengthy reply as to why you think AEW is bad as opposed to the WWE or some other wrestling company? The replies you got were the replies you deserved. They were in your IQ range after all of room temperature.
>>
>>12932910
Did this motherfucker call sting a wwe guy??
>>
>>12933371
I think he was referring to Sting being an 'older guy' which.. the Stinger is.
>>
>>12933386
Sting doesnt look a day over 53
>>
>>12932910
I think Miro's recovering well since he dropped the gamer shtick. FTR seem like they're aimless ever since the Bucks took the belts off of them.
>>
>>12933351
I said why it was bad. Everyone except 700k obese nerds agree and don't watch it.
>>
>>12933397
Well older guy can mean age wise or a guy whose been in the business for a long time. Both of these apply to Sting and I agree with you. After the disaster of his WWE appearances it was nice to see him again.

>Wonders if Vince did it all on purpose because Sting didn't come there after WCW folded
>>
>>12933434
>It's bad
Yes toddler. You said that with your buzzwords. Now try to put those two braincells you have together to explain why it is bad aside from simply "its bad" or better yet explain why you do not like it.

Otherwise I'm going to believe you don't actually dislike it you're just trying to get yous.
>>
>>12933420
They're feuding with Jurassic Express and have been for like a month
>>
>>12933420
Dax did put on a banger of match last week, putting Jungle Boy over but not looking weak in the process.
>>
>>12933493
how do you lose to a small person and not look weak? must have been a real shitter in the smark’s eyes
>>
>>12933545
Jungle boy is taller than Dax. What match did you watch?
>>
>>12933545
I see your two brain cells couldn't come up with a reply to >>12933469

I accept your concession.
>>
>>12933545
Jungle Boy's bigger than Dax.

https://youtu.be/zOWTRnjGUwc
>>
>>12933469
You were just saying my post was too short and now you say you can't understand it. Makes sense that you like AEW
>>
>>12933420
They've been better lately, I like FTR vs. JE, but it took a while for them to get here.
>>
>>12933617
Different anon here. You're losing, slopper
>>
>>12933642
Like AEW lost half it's audience?
>>
File: orange_cassidy_seethe.webm (954 KB, 1280x720)
954 KB
954 KB WEBM
>>12933397
Funny because the only thing WWE can get under 50 is their stock prices.
>>
>>12933675
trannyxirs...
>>
>>12933617
>Buzzword buzzword buzzword
>May I have an actual reply as to why you do not like AEW?
>Its bad!
>Okay but why?
>Uh uh you said my posts were too short and now you say you can't understand!
>I see.

>>
>>12933675
>half of 1.4 is 8

based math drone
>>
>>12933545
>IQ of room temperature
room temperature is ~294 K
>>
>>12933675
Edrones shouldn’t talk about anybody losing their audience
>>
>>12933545
I guess this man never saw David vs Goliath. It drew a ton of people.
>>
>>12933794
69F
>>
>>12933806
>still consistently breaks 2m
>aewho can't consistently break 800k
>>
>>12933861
>A company that has been around longer and has had years upon years to gain a fanbase gets more than the company that has been around for a handful of years.

You don't say
>>
>>12933731
Bruh you ever heard of google? If you don't understand a word you can search it up it's awesome
>>
>>12933874
With this logic Kodak should've never went to bankrupt.
>>
>>12933861
I don’t even remember the last time raw drew 2 mil. It just keeps getting lower with every year. Smackdown too.
>>
>>12933875
"It's bad because I said so."
Well thanks queef.
>>
>>12933883
Apples and oranges.
>>
>>12933861
>still consistently breaks 2m
And falling.
Also, no one ever seems to discuss it on its own merits, they just choose to attack fanbases of other wrestling companies who don't hatewatch out of habit in the non-existent hope that it will somehow get better if "let's just see where they go with this, guys."
>>
>>12933888
Its bad because of the reasons I originally stated. If you don't know what mark or flip means look it up
>>
>>12933139

-- ^ Again, you toddler, is the equivalent of saying "it's bad because I personally don't like it." Maybe if you actually tried to put out an actual well thought opinion I'd have some respect for you but at this point you are just a toddler smearing shit on the wall.

Read this post >>12933731 again. Slowly.

>>
>>12933945

--- >>>12933918
>>
This thread started off pretty informative and comfy.
>>
>>12931924
pretty much this. you can't spell "wwe lite" without the "elite."
>>
>>12933970
It did and then some drone had to shit on the floor. I hope OP still gives AEW a shot.
>>
>>12933945
You're just retarded sorry
>>
>>12933952
Who are the marks? Who flips?
>>
>>12933994
Thank your conceding and admitting that you don't have any real points at all. Just repeating the same old tired line like a.. well I'd call you a parrot but that is insulting to parrots. Now be off with you. The adults are having a nice thread and the shit you've gathered in your diaper is annoying.
>>
>>12931894
>Is it worth checking out?
Sure. The build up to their PPV Revolution last year and the PPV itself was really great. Just like everyone else they've been mixed ever since the pandemic started
>>
>>12934070
Yeah. I think not having a live crowd can really hurt. Damn memedemic.
>>
>>12933908
AEWtists deserve to be attacked. They defend any shit that's thrown their way. At least edrones know their show is shit.
>>
>>12934128
>At least edrones know their show is shit.
The ultimate cuckold
>>
>At least edrones know their show is shit.
Half the early part of the thread were AEW fans acknowledging when the show is good, it is great. When it is low, it is low.
Why would you continue to watch a program you know is shit, has been shit, will always be shit, at its best is shit, and at its lowest is shit?

spoiler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battered_woman_syndrome

spoiler 2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Fallacy_effect
>>
>>12934013
You definitely either got bullied too much or not enough
>>
>>12931894

Do you want a non-meme serious answer?

Its a solid show that takes some risks with indy talent. The lower cad usually have a risk of matches being spotty when guys like Private Party or women like Big Swole are out there. Generally the match quality is good though. Storylines are run through the wrestlers themselves alongside the bookers with alot of attention paid to keeping characters consistent. Nobody just turns heel one day and starts burning down orphanages . They dont adhere to the Hell/Face dynamic as much and very few characters are all out good guys or monsters. Most of the characters are focused on winning or losing and they keep track of wins and losses. There is a pretty consistent hierarchy of how good everyone is so you odnt have the 50/50 booking and endless surprise roll-ups and non-finishes that plagues modern wrestling. Theres a lot of younger guys like Jungle boy MJF Sammy Guevara and Darby Allin that are portrayed as very strong and tsars of the future getting various levels of a push. It has a lot of factions to facilitate tag matches and build storylines between groups similar to how New Japan works

The weaknesses the company has show arent crippling but they do crop up. They do comedy angles really well trying to get as much variety on the show as possible but if you hate that sort of thing you wont enjoy it. They are willing to have weird characters like Luchasaurus or Kris Statlander an alien that escaped from Area 51 while a guy like Orange Cassidy moves tons of merch but makes Corny seethe. The matches can get pretty ambitious since they only wrestle once a week everyone is fairly fresh but that sometimes makes them do complicated spots that sometimes misfire. Just about every story has worked but Brandy has been involved in most of the stinkers particular the aborted Nightmare Collective story and the awkward story going on right no with Shaq. Fortunately shes off for the next year having a baby
>>
Its WWE but with more soul and simultaneously sloppy. If you like WWEs style but just want it be entertaining itll be enjoyable
>>
>>12934253
>If you like WWEs style
Got to stop you there. AEW's style might lean Indy and err on the side of too many flips, but they have wrestlers with a multitude of backgrounds like Dragon Gate both USA and Japan, MLW, CZW, Impact, ROH, AAA, Lucha Underground, and NJPW and AEW lets them all do their own thing like WCW in those opening segments. It works more times than it doesn't.

If you want to discuss the boring, homogenized, bland, stomp kick punch ad infinitum, mind the hardcam, spout your catchphrase, 3 moves of doom, hit your resthold, shuck and jive, and hit your finisher with theatrics. Well, anon, that IS the WWE style of wrestling. That is a major reason WWE is unwatchable these days. They take a great wrestler, strip him of everything that makes that wrestler great, trains them up in the exact same style as everyone else, and expects spontaneity and excitement.
>>
>>12933883
>should've never went to bankrupt.

t. ESL-drone who also can't into logic
>>
>>12934246
>An alien escaped from Area 51
Fuck it why not?

I feel like any gimmick can work if done well by the right person.
>>
>>12934324
>Lucha Underground
I vaguely remember that. Was it the wrestling company that acted more like a.. hmm.. what's the right word.. tv show? Like they had characters die yea?
>>
>>12934410
Yeah
>>
>>12934410
Yes, and they also featured some of the most exciting pro-wrestling action ever filmed. RIP LU.
;_______;7
>>
>>12934434
Why did it die?
>>
>>12934424
It was an interesting concept.
I remember Cornette shitting on it.
>>
>>12934439
Bad low paying contracts and when they went on hiatus that said the wrestlers couldn't work anywhere else while LU got their shit together.
Biggest problem was, the wrestlers in LU became instant stars almost over night.
>>
File: cucknette.png (427 KB, 640x408)
427 KB
427 KB PNG
>>12934449
Cornette shits on almost anything that doesn't fall within his narrow mindset of 1980s pro-wrestling pre-the breaking of kayfabe.
>>
>>12934495
WEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL
>>
File: cucknette2.jpg (130 KB, 731x815)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>12934499
IT'S THE BIG BULL
CORNETTE'S GONNA HAVE A BIG EROTIC SHOW TONIGHT
>>
>>12934439
>>12934479
This but specifically because Dorian Roldan is a fucking cunt

>>12934495
Kayfabe was annihilated in the 50s
>>
>>12934528
Whose Dorian Roldan?
>>
>>12934528
>Kayfabe was annihilated in the 50s
I thought it was earlier than that but the point stands. Kayfabe made a resurgence, especially in small rural towns until the WWF steroid scandal when Vince was forced to push the ENTERTAINMENT narrative to the fullest back in the 1980s.
>>
>>12934528
You know what else was annihilated in the 50s?
... I've got nothing.

Plus up into the 80s fans would gladly try to kill the heels.
>>
>>12934534
He effectively runs AAA which was LU's parent promotion and was a total shithead to it.

>>12934544
>small rural towns

These are not people who are hard to con anon

>>12934591
Is there any actual proof of that besides tall tales?
>>
>>12934599
>small rural towns

>These are not people who are hard to con anon

In wrestling they were easy as hell to con wrestling-wise in the early days. The old joke was, those were the kind of people who believed the moon landing was fake but pro wrestling was real.

My friend's late father worked as a heel manager in the 80's in the NWA/WCW feeder territories and got arrested for "inciting a riot" in Mississippi for cutting a heel promo and getting some heat.
>>
>>12934670
...you're literally agreeing with me anon
>>
>>12934599
>>12934670
>>12934700
>Samefagging cityfag
yikes
>>
>>12932687
>>12932801
>>12932910
I see we have a man of intellect here.

>>12932954
My recommendation is to start from the beginning. The Double or Nothing PPV and then the first episodes of Dynamite. Reason is, the pandemic has really put a damper on all wrestling presentations. If you left back when there were still fans and you became a fan of wrestling from those halcyon days of enthusiastic crowds and organic reactions, you'll want to start with pre-Covid AEW. If only to recapture that nostalgia of the crowd giving a shit.

About the only one whose product has not been negatively affected by the lack of fans has been the WWE, who can now get the "correct" response from the crowd and don't have to worry about them hijacking the show anymore. Well, aside from whatever gets pass the Thunderdome censors.

Another reason to start with early AEW is that it'll introduce you to a lot of their talent. AEW's been investing in their young, unknown talent from the very beginning. If you jump in blind to the newest episodes, you might be a bit lost.

So, you start from the start, but where do you stop? I would say you should watch until the episode after the pandemic hit. That would be the episode where Mr. Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy make their debut (Mar 18 2020). Then jump to the debut of Ricky Starks (June 17 2020) and the debut of Eddie Kingston (July 22 2020).

Spoiler alert, Jericho's the first AEW Champ. And his run was great. But so's the run of the guy who beat him. So if nothing else, you should catch all the promos and matches relating to this 2nd champion, because by gawd, he could cut a promo. Beyond that, you can start hopping around until you catch up.
>>
>>12934856
I'll definitely go watch Double or Nothing. Where do I find it?

RIP Brodie Lee.
>>
>>12934870
Through... illicit means.

Torrent, you use torrent.

Even if you skip everything else, Double or Nothing 2019 is a solid PPV.
>>
>>12934917
I like Hangman Adam Page.
>>
>>12934810
Yokel you have more teeth than you do braincells and you haven't even got a full set of teeth

>>12934870
idk about DON but ALL-OUT is on the AEW YouTube channel (for free):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZbozxirGcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBy_fZLevTg
>>
File: hangmanpage_beer.webm (2.96 MB, 640x360)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB WEBM
>>12935052
He's pretty rad.
>>
Bump
>>
>>12935149
And you have aids from all the bbc your mum sucked in the 80s zoomie.
>>
>>12938392
wtf nash got blacked in the 80's too? kwab
>>
holy fuck this autist is still going lmao

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.