[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is fencing /xs/? Anyone fence here?
>>
>>981
left the sport, everyone in it was psycho and it's not even as satisfying as really hitting someone.
>>
lefty foil/epee reporting in. haven't fenced in like a year because of COVID; feels bad

anyways I need a new set of gear since mine is old. Is Absolute's higher tier stuff still acceptable?
>>
sabre chad here
>>
>>1517
>muh simultaneous
>>
>>981
Fenced for 10 years up until COVID. I never got that good but always sucked at sports anyway. My crowning achievement was getting two touches on Jason Pryor in a pool bout at a NAC.

>>1050
If you fence you're likely either an elitist dickhead or an autist.
>>
My club is open in very limited capacity only, and ofc no tournaments. This is ass

>>1442
Absolute is decent yeah
>>
>>981
How is that, in any regard, extreme..? You're literally wearing protection
>>
>>1560
thats why FIE niggas should implement this shit

https://sydneysabre.com/2015/11/07/this-aint-tennis-testing-a-radical-proposal-to-fix-the-4-meters/
>>
>>1632
1632 posts in to /xs/ and there is already board gatekeeping. fuck off, man
>>
>>1632
are BMX or skateboarding retards not wearing protection?
>>
>>1632
>how is skydiving even extreme? You literally wear a parachute.
>>
>>1649
not the cool ones
>>
File: hemaspandex.jpg (259 KB, 1280x960)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Is oly fencing better suited for small women and kids than extreeeeme HEMA?
>>
>>1719
yes, I started fencing when I was like 9. no problems then, had more fun than doing little league baseball or tennis
or pottery classes
or piano lessons

it seems to stick with kids pretty well, at least it did for me
>>
>>1633
Idk if one fencer starting with priority is the right answer, but something def needs to be done for sabre.
Who /foil/ here?
>>
>>2066
did foil in high school, but now in grad school just epee since it's easier to teach noobies and less gear. also fuck right of way, I just want epee with foil target zone

the lolhitthewrist meta in epee is big dumb. I miss the smaller lighter foil blades
>>
you're not a real fencer if your bell is still shiny
>>
>>981
bamp for my fencing bros
>>
File: fencing-targets.gif (19 KB, 551x304)
19 KB
19 KB GIF
I used to sabre fence years ago. Want to get back into it at some point.
>>
>>981
Inb4 mods nuke the thread for being alternative instead of extreme.
>>
>>3515
fuck foilists who wear a lame that is like 2 sizes too small for em
>>
>>981
>>
>>3837
>>>/soc/
>>
>>1719
Oly has a far deeper talent pool. A mediocre U17 epee guy would light up good HEMA rapier guy because the level of competition is that much greater.

It depends on how competitive of an environment you want to deal with. If you want a less competitive environment, go HEMA. If you want more, go fencing.
>>
>>4257
Plus oly fencing has consistent rules across the board. Oly fencing is more of a "sport" than hema in my mind
>>
mfw attack in prep
>>
>>5166
>Oly fencing is more of a "sport" than hema in my mind
absolutely, it literally IS a sport.
HEMA doesn't really know what it is
>>
>>4257
>A mediocre U17 epee guy would light up good HEMA rapier guy because the level of competition is that much greater.
You guys keep saying this but every time a sport fencer shows up at our club he gets trounced, then gets mad about it. And it's not even like we hate on sport fencing, we typically recommend it to noobs to get a better grasp of targeting and tempo.
>>
>>6983
>HEMA doesn't really know what it is
Nah, HEMA is a martial art with a strong sparring element, it's pretty straightforward. What you're seeing is just a bunch of Americans who want to make longsword into a competitive sport like yours with consistent rules and so on, but everybody else just follows the regular Contempt For Mutts protocol.
>>
tfw unrated
>>
>>3837
Why are trannies so attracted to sword arts, i seear I never see them anywhere except when I go onto hema facebook groups
>>
>>7191
The connecting link is autism t bh
>>
File: 1329176158226.jpg (26 KB, 318x250)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>6946
>mfw I'm an epeeist and one of my foilist/saberist club mates gets hit with attack in prep near me
>>
tfw priority in overtime
>>
>>981
Nah fencing is a classic, globally recognized sport (including the olympics obviously) while /xs/ is for faggot sports invented in the 90s like snowboarding, bmx, etc.
>>
>>8802
So is skateboarding, dumbass. /xs/ is just rebranded /asp/. Fencing goes here since there's no room for it in /sp/.
>>
Anyone know if there's much foil in South Carolina?
>>
>>981
I used to fence but Covid killed it... I was pretty bad but I enjoyed it!
>>2118
This is precisely why I prefer foil over epee. It's literally the equivalent of a videogame with a horribly stale meta. I beat people with 3+ years epee experience in my first ever epee match just because I was taller and went for the wrist. And knee.
>>
Hema chad checking in, want to practice some fencing for my footwork, what's the cheapest way to do so?
>>
>>9178
>/xs/ is just rebranded /asp/
Im glad to have a home again but I really wish they had just let us keep /asp/, rebranding as EXTREEEEME is going to ostracize people who do shit lile chess and ping pong which would have been legitimate thread on /asp/
>>
>>9398
yeah I was thinking that too, this is already going to be a fairly slow board and more traffic from anyone would be postive, maybe you could call it Individual Sports? That kinda pushes aside some shit that belongs here like ultimate frisbee or whatever and also sounds kinda gay though idk
>>
>>9284
http://scfencing.org/clubs/
>>
>>981
Holy shit finally I can talk about fencing on 4chan and not feel like a faggot
Sabre chad here, former DIV 1 NCAA travel team and went to regionals. I would be top 20 in America if every single ref didn't cheat for Nellya, Manhatten, Moorhouse, PWF, etc...
>>
>>6989
why don't they just use guns?
>>
>>9456
Fucking big clubs man
>>
Fencing is one of the best sports to ever exist btw. Unfortunately, like all things, jews have ruined it in the USA and everywhere else the FIE has influence. The USA is almost as bad as the Soviet Union was (my first coach was Nazlymov, he made me get good)

But the cheating is absurd. If you know bobby Fischer, his complaints about chess apply to fencing too. Only instead of opening theory, it's cheating. Paying refs, conspiracy, it's fucking insane to the degree they do this stuff. I was extremely close with a girl who was staged to be senior national team when she grew up. She got silver at cadet worlds one year, and she's complete dogshit. But because she was nazlymov's favorite, they got her a fucking world silver medal. I have tons of stories if anyone is interested
>>
>>1050
>>1050
I always wanted to get into fencing but worried about the types of people who'd be into that sort of thing not matching my level of psychotic. Do they airbrush warhammer figurines psychotic or like bipolar?
>>
>>9460
Honestly for as shit as it is, it's a real fun part for me. There's nothing better than winning a bout you clearly weren't supposed to be allowed to. Every ((simultaneous)) is called against you. Hit him on the mask? Oops, that looks like a parry riposte to me ;)

My favorite was beating the kids from Peter Westbrook and nellya, because they're complete dogshit. In america everyone is too aggressive, and nobody has any actual tactics. Seriously, you can be top 40 in Div1 if you have decent muscle memory, go to a good club with a ((coach)), and just keep fighting in the middle. American fencing is SERIOUSLY shit below top 20
>>
>>9472
Most are legitimately autistic. You're either a rich kid who wasn't properly socialized, or you're some kind of social outcast and you fence because you can't do football for some reason
>>
>>9481
I started too late to have any real aspirations. I'm trash and know it. That being said fencing always seemed extremely centralized to me. It felt like unless you were extremely gifted that if you're an epeeist and don't have the time and money to spend time at NYAC you're already second tier.

>>9492
>you're some kind of social outcast and you fence because you can't do football for some reason

I've been seen
>>
>>9495
Sabre is even worse. The sport is very close to being pay to win, sadly. That being said, I'm some nameless nobody from the midwest who was fencing 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, at his peak last year. It's all about how much you want it. I worked a minimum wage job to pay club fees, I didn't start consistently getting private lessons until college.

I swear to god you know what I would do? When coach gave lessons, I would stand beside him and follow them, mimicking the moves and actions, as if he were giving me a lesson. It worked well enough.

If I had been born into a richer family I probably would have gone to the Olympics next year, oh well. Honestly it's better this way, because I managed to fall in love with the sport for the sake of the sport, and not for the sake of winning (although I won't kid myself, I did that a fair bit too)

I always wanted to be a coach until I realized how cruel it is to do so in America
>>
>>9507
>If I had been born into a richer family I probably would have gone to the Olympics next year,
Nah lad, the Olympics are FUCD by the virus. You can console yourself with that, kek
>>
>>9519
That's why I said next year and not last year :)

I'm pissed they stole my NCAA championship ring though.
>>
>>981
I was going to post this myself. I haven't fenced for years and I'm thinking of getting back into it, maybe starting a casual club in Milwaukee
>>
fenced in a US public school, we basically only ever competed against private schools lol. Still got top 8 in the state one year. Went 4-5 against the #1 which felt good

>I attribute my success 95% to being a lefty and fencing like a fucking retard
>>
pro tip Leon Paul shoes suck, mine only lasted like a year before my toes started sticking out of the holes in em
>>
>>9469
do tell dude
that kind of stuff is always very interesting
>>
Is fencing one of those things you have to start in high school or can adults pick it up without being pedophile weirdos
>>
>>9507
That's awesome work ethic man. You're right though. If your family doesn't have the means or you live in an area without a top club you're already way behind.

I didn't start until I was in college because I grew up in the bumfuck south. Then didn't have a real coach until I was almost 23 and working full time, so I could only put in 3 hours a day a few days a week at a second rate club. I kinda played pretend that I could actually get good, but I never did much better than some 2nd places in my division and making a few NAC cuts then losing my DE.

>>9534
>I attribute my success 95% to being a lefty and fencing like a fucking retard

This is absolutely a recipe for success, which might say something about our sport, fellas.
>>
File: 1613961951762.jpg (289 KB, 960x960)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>981
Its classy and should be encouraged but I think for me to define it as.extreme sport you need those kendo bamboo sticks and need to run at each other making Xena warrior princess battle cries trying to inflict most pain
>>
>>9550
Most fencers are weird. So if you're an adult just getting into fencing you probably are a pedophile

>>9549
So each region chooses a one or two people, from each weapon and each sex, to be propped up as the "best" for the region. They'll always be from or go to the same clubs, for sabre it's nellya, midwest fencing club for midwest (or FAO with nazlymov), Manhattan, etc...

It was pretty fucked up what they did to this girl. Despite all the fame and such she got, eventually coach retired. So she was propped up to go to nellya instead. She didn't want to go to nellya, and coach threatened their family. The ultimatum was either go train at nellya and move to georgia, or you will never accomplish anything and will be blacklisted from the sport. At first she denied, so he coached against her at a NAC, walked right past them and coached the other athlete. Super fucked up mind games. Last I heard she was flying to nellya every couple months. Not sure what happened to her sense, because she's a girl and now a demoralized commie lesbian.... So I avoid those kinds of people

Also her mom fucked pretty much every coach, ref, half the top sabre athletes, hell she even fucked Miles Chamley Watson once. Her dad is a beta cuck so of course she's gonna be fucked up from all that.

Jews are brutal man, they take the fun out of everything
>>
>>9559
I now remember Becca Ward giving Ed Korfanty and the establishment double middle fingers by taking a full ride at Duke and steamrolling everyone in NCAAs then retiring from the sport instead of doing what he wanted.

Fuck she was amazing. Cadet, junior, and senior world champion in the same season.
>>
Honest to god my advice is don't try to get good at fencing. It isn't worth it. All you're doing is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment. If you can't afford to spend 100k a year going to Grand Prix, World Cups,
Nac's, etc... Then you're just wasting your time. Unless you do this for fun of course, but in that case there are plenty of things much cheaper, fulfilling, exciting, and worthwhile to do than fencing.

Depsite all this, if you do try and make it then you better be willing to work your ass off and be at MAX 14 years old. Anything past that you'll need access to a coach that you won't be able to have. Ive had about 4 of these, and they make the coaches from nellya look like retards. (Vladimir Nazlymov, Christian Rasscioni, Siarhei Kavalioy, Dmitry Lapkes) if you find a coach like this, you make sure no matter what you follow them to the ends of the earth. You'll know when they're one of these coaches, I don't have to explain it.

Other than that, godspeed and good luck. But seriously, find something better to do, fencing as it stands SUCKS
>>
>>9562
I don't keep up with womens sports. They're boring to fence against because they're so one Dimensional. It's not very hard to be a good womens fencer, if you're a C rated guy you can probably go neck and neck with Zagunis. I know a guy who did exactly that actually, and it really pissed her off lol.

If a cadet can make it past the 64 in seniors then there is something extremely wrong, outside VERY odd cases (like Szilagyi)
>>
>>9559
why do people care so much about a very niche and rich kids exclusive sport?
>>
This is the realest video about fencing there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnL5KD9RYE
>>
why are fat Eastern European guys so good at flicks
>>
>>9567
It doesn't have to be a rich kids sport, that's only the abortion they've turned it into now with their cheating and greed. I can't explain it in a way someone like you could understand. Simply put, there is no life for me outside fencing. Nothing excites me. Nothing brings me joy. I've made over 600k dollars this year so far, and that does nothing for me. If you are not a truly dedicated and passionate person, then it is impossible for me to explain this to you. If you are that kind of person, then I don't need to, because you understand already.

When asked "Who is Bobby Fischer outside of chess?"
Fischer responded
>I'm not too sure
>>
>>9567
High availability of college scholarships relative to number of athletes, old Russian coaches continuing their competitive grudges by proxy though their students, and autism.
>>
>>9576
Actually to expand on that, there's a better quote

>I was always pretty serious about it, ya know? Chess and me it's pretty hard to take them apart, chess is like my alter ego
I am the same way with fencing. I'm not sure if I will push for the olympics again or not. I could find some jewish club and get back in touch with all the refs and play all the politics. But truthfully I'm tired of it all. I don't want to lie, I don't want to cheat, I want to fence! Any time of day, any person, any place!
>>
>>9567
I just think it looks cool. Jiujitsu is a sport that is dominated by young people who can afford to train all day but that doesn't mean us please can't try it out.
Fencing is on a different level apparently though.
>>
I shoot 50m free pistol and fence, find a better combo
>Pardini 4 lyfe
>>
>>9585
>us plebs
>>
>BEEEP
>immediately snap head to the side to look at the lights on the machine

I hate my lizard brain
>>
>>9624
>tfw immediately flèche against people who do this
Ya gotta get in the zone mate
>>
>>9677
sometimes we'd break out the end-of-strip lights for big boi competitions, still couldn't break the habit

>tfw swapping spots with the opponent so the ref could see my right-side
being a lefty can suck too, you know
>>
Fenced in college club and realized I enjoy sparring, I train judo now and find randori to be fun in largely the same way fencing is.

Epee best weapon.
>>
>>9690
I can't enjoy non electronically scored sports now. but enjoy anon
too much bs otherwise
>>
File: 1365733266694.jpg (47 KB, 345x383)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>That guy who wears an off-hand glove
>>
>>9929
Maybe he wants to pull an "I AM NOT LEFT HANDED!" attack
>>
>>9929
>that guy with a back-zip jacket
>>
>>9951
>that guy who doesnt jave a squire to zip his back zipper
Ngmi
>>
>that guy who's tip tape is completely fucked
>>
>>9929
>that guy who wears anything other than white socks
>>
>>10000
>>
File: goatse thread.png (13 KB, 744x257)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>10058
umm it was an inappropriate image
>>
>>10060
Shockierend!
>>
>>981
Left epee lad reporting in, went to training after half a year, and got my ass kicked
>>
>6'6" left handed epeeist
>Uses absence of blade
>Wins by default

Many such cases
>>
>>10053
Black is also acceptable
>>10050
This is me
>>
Is it possible to build a decent game around flicks?
>>
>>981
Foil for three years, had to abandon because of exams. I still have my gear, sadly my foil is already oxidizing.
>>
My college team allows randos to show up to meetings, and claims to have practice gear available. I'm pretty /fit/, and have a great build for the sport, but I have zero training. Are they likely to be receptive to me showing up, or will it just annoy them?
>>
>>10345
Probably are yea. They'll likely even let you spar.

My club got too big to allow walk ins. Back when we did I did the best training of my life sparring with random martial artists or sportsmen who just wanted to try their hand. It's fascinating how untrained people do different things.

Now we have beginner classes and by the time anyone spars they're all cookie cutter Counter enablers.
>>
>>10345
Is it an NCAA team or a college club?
If it's an NCAA team is it one of the dozen or so decent ones?
>>
>>9570
kek
>>
>>981
Is fencing an easy sport to get to? I'm a total ADHD socially inept autist so I feel like I have the right personality for the sport if I am to take the conservations in these threads as legitimate
>>
>>9576
>I've made over 600k dollars this year so far
whatd you do to do that and fence at the same time?
>>
>>10621
Fencing is uneven and kinda like competitive fight games. It's the kind of sport where a privileged few have been doing it since they were five and it's their entire personality, the type to be shooting for national and international tourneys and have no other life. But it's also not exactly a pay-to-win sport either. You need legitimate skills, experience, and physical ability to do well. You can go to a club and practice for fun and do well among other casual club goers, but you'll never close that skill gap between yourself and the 12 year old autist who has drilled so much he can parry riposte your ass while checking his texts.

Your autism won't help you. You'll fight the normalfag casuals and quickly get better than all of them, but you'll never have the reaction speed or muscle memory or strategic ability of the literal children at the top of the mountain, much less the adults. It's honestly why I got out of the game after High School. No club at college meant I didn't continue practice, and out of practice as an adult meant I fell behind permanently. I picked up a different hobby, but I continue to love the sport. Maybe check HEMA out if you're not okay with never being able to reach the skill ceiling of your hobby.
>>
>>10754
What do you mean by pay to win? Earlier in the thread you or another anon mentioned cheating. Are they rigging the results and even if you had a slightly higher reaction time, they would display the winner as however paid off the judges or what?

Or do you just mean only people with rich parents tend to get into fencing early?
>>
>>10621
In addition to what >>10754 said, it also depends on your geographic area. Some states if you’re American are just dead zones for an already niche sport
>>
>>10787
I'm not that anon, but the your latter statement is pretty close to true. If you want to win at the highest levels at fencing and you haven't already started it's too late.

It's not too late to get good enough to be competitive at the divisional level and meet some cool people though.

I can't speak to the claims of rigging, but there's enough subjectivity in refereeing of foil and saber that it's definitely possible.
>>
>>10787
I mean like, more expensive gear giving you an edge. Yeah, paying for coaches can get you a leg up, but living near a good club helps too. I'm also talking sport politics notwithstanding. I wouldn't know about corruption in the sport since I've never made it that far. I'm more talking about the raw skill gap.
>>
>>10804
thanks b
>>
>>10805
Like developing your hand eye coordination and reaction time from a young age, right?
>>
>>10809
Well yeah, but you can get that from getting put into general youth classes if you live near a club. It's really not any more expensive than a youth soccer league or whatever, elite clubs notwithstanding. Out of the reach of the poorest poors, but nothing insane. Would be like calling Call of Duty 4 pay to win because you had to buy the game.
>>
>>10665
I'm not fencing now. I refuse to wear a mask and play along with this covid bullshit, so until they decide it's over I'm not fencing.

As to how I made the money... Come on, stocks are a ponzi, crypto is a ponzi, everything is hyperinflated to shit, you can make money on accident. If you're intentional, you can make even more
>>
>>10842
Not really. Once you get past a certain skill level you need to pay insane amounts of money, we were paying at least 3k a month just for fencing training and competition and such. It's all fucking crazy expensive. The better coaches charge you insane amounts, like I said before if you aren't able to spend 100k a year on the sport you can forget trying to be an olympic level fencer
>>
>>10079
Sad!
>>
foil > epee >>>>>>>>>>>> saber
>>
>>10889
I thought the actual payment and equipment was cheap? Like just going to some community center and getting some used fencing suit?
>>
>>11130
I'm not >>10889, but at the divisional level that's true. You can join a small club, pay modest dues, get your own gear, and compete in your division for a couple thousand a year.

However, if you want to compete nationally you have to be able to pay to travel to 5 different cities a year. You'll also want a club that has its own facility instead of going to a community center. As an example my club would run about $500 a month to max out lessons and classes, and my club doesn't even churn out much more than C rated U16 foilists.
>>
>>10805
gear can give you an edge, but you can still win with your shitty ukranian epee and shit
also its really easy to repair and look after your gear, i could do the basic stuff at like 12

unless you have some real shit gear, it matters but practice is more important imo
>>
>>981
i would love to get back into fencing once i get a stable income for season passes
i tried /foil/ for a semester in college and that was one of the best times i've had in any gym class. /sabre/ rattles my brain too much and i haven't had the chance to try /epee/
i sucked but everyone respected me for giving my best
feels good man
>>9492
>you're some kind of social outcast and you fence because you can't do football for some reason
i'd do basketball but i'm too short :(
>>
What is the best pistol grip and why is it Belgian?
>>
>>11620
For me, it’s the medium Vis
>>
>when you flick you opponent's mask cord off
lel
>>
>>9570
what a trip down memory lane
>>
File: 1393555879590.gif (27 KB, 200x200)
27 KB
27 KB GIF
>Acting like everything is fine after I broke my best blade because my opponent did something retarded
>>
>>13157
>at a interschool comp
>my lefty foil goes down
>no one else on my team is a lefty foil
>have to borrow a blade from the other team
>beat my opponent
jej
>>
>>13004
I miss when foil didn't require a mask cord. There's no reason for it unless people were buying masks with absurdly large bibs
>>
>>1050
Same. Used to fence saber, but quit 3 years in because of the weird rules that I didn't understand half the time. Why was that not a simul, but the other was?
>>
>>981

I'm into HEMA but I can see the faggotry.

Please recommend me some good actual fencing drills for the legs, I want to conquer me legs and me movement.
>>
File: mensur.jpg (138 KB, 775x1024)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
German academic fencing Here.
Ask me anything.
>>
>>13459
running lunges stretching squats
>>
>>13459
Barbell squats
Deadlifts
Lunges
Slow advance, medium advance, fast advance, repeat the length of a strip, then do retreats
>>13477
What is "academic fencing"?
>>
>>13488
Sharp weapons, aiming only at the head and arm, movement is mostly Prohibited.

Still taught and done today
>>
>>13491
sounds dangerous, you should wear a plastron
>>
>>13492
We do. Also eye goggles and often ear gear. Also neck sleeves
>>
>>981
I fence a bunch. Technically club president now. Ex-club president handed it over to me so he can start work on a longswording/hema club.
Shame to hear about everyone here having crap experiences in fencing. Sounds like people taking pissing round with bits of wire like it's an actual swordfight.
>>1632
Fencing accidents can put foils through hands dude. Far more dangerous then just falling over onto concrete.
>>3515
I've always hated having small Lame's. I'm a big guy, and it's always annoying not being able to move and breathe easily.
>>
>>13477
You are allowed to parry, right?
>>
>>13477
How many actual bouts have you been in? Do you have a fuckload of scars and shit?
>>
>>13560
Yes, but you are not allowed to move out of the way.
>>
>>14115
3 actual Partien (ger. Mensur Term for bout) but i only have a Schmiss (scar) on my head and tiny ones on the top of my eyebrows.

Ive been hit flat quite often, so i was bruised a lot. But that goes away quite fast.
>>
>>13477
do you ever get the impression that what you're doing is fucking dumb
>>
>>14229
Its extremesports. Of course its dumb.
But why is it bad because of that?
>>
>>981
Gold medal foilist
Some-time sabreur

Fencing is definitely not an extreme sport.
>>
>>9304
Buy a fucking book
>>
>>13477
Where can I purchase a mensur mask? I want to get into it.
>>
>>13277
Sabre rules focus a lot more on intention than other weapons.
>>
>>14231
The intentionally injurious part of it is what makes academic fencing seem kind of daft. Maybe there's a deeper satisfaction to it but the lack of movement and aiming for the unprotected face, just to accumulate some scars, what the fuck is going on there. I get that manhood rituals used to be dead common and a lot of them are injurious or painful but most of the world has left behind scarring young people for the sake of tradition.

I guess that's my question. What's the appeal? Why not normal fencing?
>>
took saber classes at a local fencing club in philly to help my MMA game. ended up really fucking enjoying the sport.
>>
>>14331
That's the way. Just because you probably won't be your country's number one Olympic fencer doesn't mean it's not worth doing. That's like saying "I'll never be a powerlifter so I won't even try lifting weights at all."
>>
>>9559
>>9562
>>9576
Americans can't fence worth a shit.
>>
>>14356
[Laughs in podium sweep]
>>
>>14367
>Women
lmao
>>
>>14371
Rent free
>>
>>981
did fencing for many years growing up. multiple times champion of my city and region. didn't go further because no funding, we couldn't even afford plane tickets. we are talking nineties in rural russia, we were very poor.

what does it have to do with xtreme sports though?
>>
>>13277
lol, I did epee because of that
>>
>>14392
Epee is for brainlets. The rules are very consistent, you just need to develop an eye for it, and deal with it if it's not always your way. If you get too many bad calls from your ref (in your opinion), you need to improve your fencing so that your actions are clearer.
>>
File: unknown.png (2.08 MB, 1049x891)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
OH NO NO NO NO
>>
>>14425
I need to build a home dummy to get some work in. I haven't picked up a weapon since last March.
>>
>>14211
Are you allowed to reposition your feet in a duel though? Not to evade strikes, but to better position yourself to attack/parry?
>>
>>14331
>tfw transitioned to MMA from fencing and always stand too bladed from habit
leg kicks fucking hurt brahs
>>
>>14266
You can parry and you can avoid hits. Its not just a ritual way of cutting your face.
No idea where you Take that idea from.
>>
>>14856
Some rule sets allow movement between the sets. But usually your feet stay fixed.

Some allow movement of one foot.
>>
>>14887
we are centuries into the invention of the fencing mask. but a group of weird germans insist on not using it and using sharp swords aimed at the face with a ruleset that results in taking a lot of hits and take great pride in their accumulated scars. gee, i wonder where people would get the idea that this is a macho ritual.
>>
>>13477
>>14257
>>14887
>>14889
So are you gonna get all esoteric or can you actually buy a mensur fechtmaske online? Where do you get the swords, are they stored somewhere and you only use them or do you have your own?
>>
>>14891
Its over 200 year old tradition, so im not trying to convince you here (:
>>
>>14925
https://www.bandagenpause.de/

Everything is stored at the fraternity house, in the Paukboden. (Fencing training Hall)

Some buy their own Equipment.

We buy our Schläger from the Schwertfeger or from Mensur shops.
>>
>>15143
Thank you very much Germanbro. I suppose your fraternities must hire an armourer to keep the equipment in good shape?

There's a lot more equipment than I read about there, like that full-face mask for 700+ €.

I suppose the iconic mensur mask is the one called "Eyeglass straps" at 45.00 €? Shame there's no image, I was hoping for a wide variety one could choose from.
>>
>>14266
Not that guy, but it's not like this is something that all German boys are forced to go through or anything. It's a way of testing and proving your courage, and since it's performed by small university fraternities it's also a bonding activity.

Frankly, it's especially wholesome in today's fucked up repressive atmosphere, because if you've been in a bunch of fights with a sharp swords to the point where it's no biggie, how can you be scared of saying what you think to some feckless bluehair twat? And actually this was a big part of why it was originally practiced, the social atmosphere at the time when the corps were started was anything but friendly to open debate and freedom of expression.

TL;DR mensur isn't nearly as stupid as infant circumcision.
>>
>>15332
Big brained post. This is partly why I like regular (Olympic) fencing so much. Of course it's nowhere near as dangerous but it's the bonding of strengthening one's body with a fraternity of peers, facing difficulties together and juxtaposing philosophies with physicality. Men these days desperately need an outlet for physical aggression and learning to fight in practically any discipline will do it for you. More power to the face-scarrers.
>>
>>15332
Well said fren.
>>
>>15263
NAYRT, but judging by the price that's *only* the armored straps for the goggles, as the name suggests. The googles are called "mensurbrille" or "paukbrille".
>>
>>15360
I can make photos if you are interested. Just let me know what you want to see
>>
>>15360
>>15397
http://www.maeser-couleur.de/index.php/shop/mensurausruestung/mensur-allgemein/mensurbrille-detail
I found these beauties, can you Germanbros tell me if they'll ship to other parts of Europe or is this a closely guarded German hobby?
>>
>>15410
I'm kinda breaking the site-wide interdict against spoonfeeding here, but if you just try putting the goggles in your basket and checking out they certainly list a number of countries as possible choices of shipping destination.
>>
>>15421
Thanks senpai, I'm retarded, I admit it.
>>
>>15410
Not sure. I guess its possible if you contact the shop owner
>>
>>14356
You're 100% right. Americans have no understanding of distance, timing, tempo, strategy, ya know all the things that are important for sports? But hey, when the jews cheat everything you don't have to have any actual talent.
>>
>>6984

Most HEMAists who take interest in MOF just end up doing smallsword because the rules make more sense.

>>5166
>Plus oly fencing has consistent rules across the board.

You mean the ones they constantly change because the sport stagnated 50 years ago?

>>6983
>HEMA doesn't really know what it is

HEMA is a sport, even the manuals state it, its just that a lot of HEMAists lie to themselves thinking it isnt a sport.

>>6989

Martial Arts = Sport, but the mindset is less focus on athleticism and more about learning techniques. Its why HEMA is in this weird spot where its slowly being overran by people who take the athleticism seriously (like the fucking manuals say).

We'll finally be free of the SCA and LARP rejects who just want to swing swords without being fit.
>>
>>16060
>HEMA is a sport, even the manuals state it, its just that a lot of HEMAists lie to themselves thinking it isnt a sport.
Engaging protocol Contempt For Mutts...

Engaged.
>>
>>4257

I've seen good fencers get rekt at HEMA. Athleticism and good sense of timing is an advantage but just lunging won't do.
>>
>>1719

>>4257
This basically.

>>16111
Fencers probably wouldn't be used to weapons that aren't shortsword or longsword derivatives. What makes fencers so good is that the BASELINE of competitive has you hooked up to an electronic machine which can't be tricked or mistaken when it comes to contact. This is the reason why they're so fucking fast by comparison to traditional sword fighters. When your run-of-the-mill fencer is used to electric speed as standard, HEMA fencers are going to have trouble keeping up because they've only ever fenced steam. They have no sense of context for speedplay because HEMA prioritizes form and "being tanky" over getting one hit, one kill (per round).
>>
>>16060
>Martial Arts = Sport
Is this bait?
>>
>>16129
>Boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, full contact karate, sanda, savate, judo, bjj, wrestling, sambo, and mma aren't combat sports
>>
>>16269
Squares and rectangles dude. Judo has a sporting side but the fact that the katas that are required to learn for a blackbelt include techniques illegal in competition implies that the sporting and martial components arent entirely the same. Nevermind the fact that things like kobudo (classical japanese martial arts) and krav maga are entirely martially focused and have no sport component at all.
>>
>>16279
Competitions are the most martial you can get without risking an assault or manslaughter charge, and martial arts that can't be applied to such a context aren't worth much because you simply can't pressure test the techniques very effectively without it.
>>
>>16298
>martial arts that can't be applied to such a context aren't worth much because you simply can't pressure test the techniques very effectively without it.
Sure, that doesnt mean kobudo isnt a martial art or that judo kata is a sport you dense retard.
>>
>>16326
There's competitions for judo kata though?
>>
>>16326
>Kobudo
The -do suffix means it's considered a martial way, not a martial art or science which would be kobujutsu. Since it's just made up of kata and has zero contact or sparring, let alone being applied in a sporting context where it can be tested and improved, it's not really martial anymore, is it? Is a broken, rusted knife in a museum to be considered as much of a weapon as an AK-47 being used by a soldier right now?
Judo kata are vestigial, I don't know what argument you hope to make by mentioning them. They don't detract from Judo as a martial art and an olympic sport.

All martial arts worth shit are trained as or applied in combat sports, otherwise they aren't important. Your east asian ethnic dancing and camo pants knife defence LARP will always be fraudulent.
>>
>>16405
>Your east asian ethnic dancing and camo pants knife defence LARP will always be fraudulent.
>t. antenna tag larp man
>>
>>16330
>There's competitions for judo kata though?
Do you consider performance art a sport too?
>>16405
>The -do suffix means it's considered a martial way, not a martial art or science which would be kobujutsu
This is pedantics and I have no interest in reading the rest of your post.
>>
>>16426
nobody really considers olympic fencing a martial art though, do they?
>>
>>16330
Afaik, they want you to do Nage no Kata for your black belt; but afaik they're not contested
>>
I knew this would end in THAT sort of discussion. 4chan Users truely are one of a kind...
>>
>>16547
Same thing happened when /asp/ opened years ago. About a day and a half of fencing discussion followed by people derailing the thread to compare fencing to HEMA.
>>
>>16461
Of course they do, it's a type of martial art. If you change the electric foil out for a real sword, someone's gonna fucking die at that speed. What's that Hindi martial art where they two-hand whips? "Martial arts" is a broad term, Anon.
>>
Only penis fencing with a tranny.
>>
Get the thread back on track. Is aldo nadi's book on fencing worth reading?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.