[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Do you know what the definition of insanity is, thinking Jiu-Jitsu works in a street fight.
>>
>>97352
I told my girlfriend I was thinking of joining a bjj gym and she looked at me like I just stepped in dog shit. Clocked the shit out of her for the disrespect but realized bjj is homo stuff.
>>
>>97362
Fair just do boxing honestly its the most fun to watch and compete and most boxing gyms are good no mcdojo shit
>>
>>97362
Your girlfriend is a judgmental asshole
>>
>>97366
>has CTE so bad he thinks there's no mcdojo boxing gym
jesus christ mate
>>
>>97366
Are you allergic to kicking or something?
>>
>>97387
Mcdojo gyms are easy to spot. When you go in and the place doesn't smell like blood and ballsack sweat and has attractive women you know it's a mcdojo.
>>97390
Don't let normies know you can kick.
>>
>>97387
LOL
>>
>>97352
Im pretty sure i could choke you out
>>
>>97352
>Jiu-Jitsu
isn't Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
>>
>>97352
I'd bet on a BJJ guy over any untrained guy around his size in a 1v1.
>>
>>97352
Real talk. Couldnt someone just kick a guy in the nuts if they trued to pull this in a street fight. In pride we already saw that doing this is dangerous because they were allowed to stomp on you and kick your head like a soccer ball
>>
>>97395
Every gym you have to “pay” to use is a mcdojo
>>
>>97395
Imagine going to a gym when punching bags and grappling dummies exist
>>
>>97753
>around his size
I'm glad bjj has given up that smaller man lie.
>>
>>97799
It's not a lie, it's just true for every martial art and it's more true for striking than grappling. Superb marketing though.
>>
>>97764
And you think someone is going to spend years and a lot of resources mastering martial arts, then opening a school (more money and time on that) and teach people for free?
Who will pay the gym bills, what is the instructor going to eat?
Opening and keeping a gym open is expensive
>>
>>97763
>In pride we already saw that doing this is dangerous because they were allowed to stomp on you and kick your head like a soccer ball
yet you still had guard pullers who finished fights with subs :o
>>
>>97802
Imagine being so cucked you think its ok for a martial arts instruction to be like a “service.” Yes, I am the one here who is irrational because I dont like the idea of martial arts being in the same sort of scenario as being waited on in a restaurant. This place truly is full of naive people who have never left the western world.
>>
>>97766
Imagine not learning any defense or learning it improperly because you never come close to doing it live with someone attacking you
>>
>>97830
Seriously what is your fucking alternative? Do people work for free in the third world?
>>
>>97395
>Don't let normies know you can kick
Wait is this why I always see people only recommending boxing for self defense?
>>
>>97352
All fights start on the feet, then I take your back while standing, choke you out and drop you on your head.
>>
File: Cus and Mike.jpg (64 KB, 500x500)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>97764
true, every true master will not only teach you for free, but also feed you, put a roof above your head and even adopt you as part of the family.
>>97802
>Who will pay the gym bills,
you, when you win your fights.
>>
>>97830
And food is just going to fall out of the sky in the instructors table?
You are a retard watching too much movies
>>
>>97835
Imagine thinking that just because your coach told you you are doing it properly that you are doing it properly. Take any guys from your gym to a gym where pros train and they will likely get picked a part to death.

And you can learn defense on your own by visualization. Its done all the time.
>>
>>97838
If they think you deserve it. In the western world you get to give people “money” in substitution of showing your worth.
>>
>>97879
Generally it is custom for student to provide for their master. But it is not a capitalist negotiation. It is out of your own desire how much if any you will give. But it is custom so most do.
>>
>>97889
its not cuz my coach told me, its cuz ive tried it in sparring against people who are more skilled than me and have varied styles and ive found it works. We have several pros at my gym too. Keep doing your 2deadly4meshit tho im sure youll be able to do it perfectly the first time anyone puts the sightest pressure on you
>>
>>97889
And yes you can learn the positions that defense entails this way but you cant learn exactly what speed, timing, and power you need to use to make it work irl. You are theorycrafting and doing a self made martial arts themed crossfit routine
>>
>>97830
>This place truly is full of naive people who have never left the western world.
Imagine doing nonwestern martial arts lmao. Too much time on your hands?
>>
>>97913
Is muay tai not good for you?
>>
>>97904
Ya but thise people who are skilled than you could still be doing a bunch of stuff thats totally wrong. How much of what you use would work if you used it against an olympic gold medalist in wrestling, or a bjj world champion, or the heavyweight ufc champion. I doubt any of it would work. So maybe train a little differently until you find a way to make things work against guys like that.
>>
>>97905
Im fine with that. Obviously you wouldnt be able to test things perfectly unless you did 100% full sparring. But Im not interested in that. I enjoy learning the techniques and trying to enact them like they are shown, and thats good enough for me.
>>
>>97929
Whats your point? im gonna start fighting next summer in amateur mma. Obviously it would be better to train with world champions and gold medalist olympians as you put it, but unfortunately im not fucking made of money or know where to find those guys.

So yeah i guess ill have to settle for training against the several actual pros and the many amateur active fighters in our gym rather than the literal elite of the elite.
Better than nothing, and i bet its 1000x better than whatever cringe larp you call training. what does your training consist of anyway?
>>
>>97937
Imagine criticizing other when you even admit that everything you have learned would be inconsequential when put up to someone who actually understand technique, ie world champions.
>>
>>97939
imagine thinking youre above all criticism just cuz im not a world champ
>>
>>97940
If you knew what you were talking about you would be. Go work on your techniques and cone back to me when you understand martial arts.
>>
>>97946
So are you a world champ? If not then go work on your techniques and cone back to me when you understand martial arts
>>
>>97949
Im not criticizing your training. Its only a world champion that can say what is or is not true essence. So go and train and then once you have become world champ maybe i will accept what you define as essence. But maybe I wont. It al depends on your faith.
>>
>>97352
imagine being this retarded. Someone trained in jujitsu would break your arm in 10 different places and holds and you couldn't do jack shit about it.
>>
>>97954
Oh okay you know what? I wasnt planning on it, but if it means your approval then ill do it. Ill become the champ. Youve inspired me bud. Im going to meditate on the true essence of the spirit of the focus of true budou marital arts now
>>
>>97956
Theyd probably knock themselves out first when they pull guard on cement and hit their head.
>>
>>97959
Truly? A commandment to oneself concerning a martial spirit cannot be undone
>>
>>97962
I hope you're 15 or younger you head in the clouds faggot.
>>
>>97890
This is delusional. Where are you talking about?
>>
File: roshi.jpg (50 KB, 708x531)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>97875
>, every true master will ... teach you for free ...
though you might have to bring him a pichipichi gal to show him you are worthy
>>
File: i kneel.jpg (207 KB, 692x1100)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>97962
> martial autism.... is STRONG
>>
>>97956
>grabs your cock
>teleports behind you

Heh nothing personel kid

https://youtu.be/aRVGKTyzo8Y
>>
>>97352
Why? if Judo works. Jiu Jitsu works. They teach you sweeps, takedowns etc. It's not just stuff on the ground retard.
>>
>>97352
in a real fight i would heem this fucker. while he's lying down on the ground trying to seduce my i'd send my newbalance straight through his teeth
>>
>>97395
wait, so u think a legit school/gym/dojo has to have ppl hard sparring every class/training? this is how i know u're a boxer kek
>>
>>97479
that's what most americans refer to as simply 'jiu-jitsu', redditfag
>>
>>99071
most people being stupid doesn't change facts tho
>>
File: 1271686430_mishin610x.jpg (44 KB, 610x366)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>97352
Why do you think that in street fight situation sportsman will do sport techniques? No one thinks freestyle wrestler would roll overs or whatever this shit is called (english is not my native, sorry) when you lie on your opponent and turn him over.
>>
>>97930
u don't even need to be hard sparring to test techniques. low-mid intensity will suffice almost always.
>>
>>99095
Wrong. Unless its full force you cant tell if it will work in an actual fight. Its funny how people now shit on traditional martial arts for not sparring, but then go on and think patty cake sparring is good enough. Its not. The guys who are top level mma fighters did not go their whole career by doing light sparring. You cant learn to fight unless you fight.
>>
>>99107
Yes. This is true. Its why bjj or westling is so effective. They can go hard every day. A guy who only does light sparring in kick boxing would not make a guy who practices wing chun look like shit if theyve been doing it for the same amount of time. The reason why these mma guys or muay tai fighter beat up these traditional martial artists is only because the mma guys and other combat sports practitioners are doing sparring at a high level and thus have a lot if experience of performing martial arts in a fight.
>>
>>97479
stfu
>>
File: 5800_crop_north.jpg (93 KB, 800x533)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>97804
>
*KAZUSHI Enters the chat*
>>
>>97830
stop being a retard, western styles dominate, and you should be paid for the work that you do.
>>
>>99114
Lol. There is only one western style that is any effective. Every other is eastern. Muay tai, and judo are basically the only martial arts used in mma besides wrestling. And many will say bjj but its literally just newaza from judo without any pins or ippons

And imagine thinking that anything is worth getting paid if the head of your state isnt already having them be paid for their service to the people
>>
>>99107
u sustain injuries much more often that way, meaning u can't spar for weeks, possibly months, and as a result u don't accumulate and retain any meaningful experience and skill, respectively, in applying techniques against a resisting opponent, reading their body language, gauging the distance, finding holes in their defense, practicing fainting, baiting, misdirection, control, combos, employing different tactics/strats, avoiding gassing urself, etc... all those things U CAN LEARN AND PRACTICE W/O GOING FULL FORCE (some of those are even BETTER SUITED for low-mid intensity sparring).

IN CASE U DIDN'T KNOW, SPARRING IS NOT FIGHTING; THE GOAL IS NOT TO DEFEAT UR OPPONENT, BUT TO LEARN FROM AND HELP IMPROVE EACH OTHER.

holy fuck, do u even train? cuz if u did i wouldn't have to explain this to u. read a different martial arts related thread the other day and multiple posters were clearly larpers (one even admitted it), so it seems to be a common theme on this board.

came here hoping to find a martial arts community on the chans instead of leddit, but at least most ppl on r/martialarts actually train from what i remember.
>>
>>99129
Fighting in slow motion will just lead to creating bad habits by picking things up in a non realistic environment. Its like how its a bad idea to strap weights on your legs when practicing kicking. Itll mess up tour technique. Same with practicing slow motion sparring. It will all be different when its at full speed.
>>
>>99129
Adding on to this. >>99133
Its be better to only practice full force moves on a heavy bag and do no sparring at all than to incorporate a lot of light sparring with no full force sparring.
>>
>>99133
u can spar full speed at a lower intensity. also it doesn't take a lot of force behind a strike to knock someone out, rather proper position, speed, and accuracy. u seem to have a very reductionist view on martial arts, which gives me the impression u don't actually train.
>>
>>99136
Thats still totally different. Watch any light sparring or low intensity sparring video on youtube and then watch an actual competition fight. Its night and day. Its basically a waste of time to do light sparring unless it helps with confidence.
>>
>>97997
He is talking about his battle manga where the old master takes you on as a disciple free of charge
>>
File: 1635209012163.jpg (30 KB, 344x282)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>97889
>And you can learn defense on your own by visualization. Its done all the time.
master baiter sama... lay off the shounen manga, I implore you
>>
>>99138
>it's a waste of time practicing in the parking lot before hitting rush hour traffic on the high way
>it's a waste of time flying a light aircraft with an instructor before hopping into an airliner
>it's a waste of time practicing arithmetic before trying to write your PhD thesis in algebraic topology
do you even realize how retarded you sound?
>>
>>99138
You really don't train my guy. Keep your retarded takes to yourself. Decades of fighters and coaches disagree with you.
>>
>>99206
Decades of boxers have trained by doing shadow boxing with dumbells but that doesnt mean that its beneficial to do so
>>
>>99077
Imagine a Greco-Roman wrestler in a streetfight though, he would just ragdoll people around. Jiu jitsu is great for get you hit the ground but that is 2 steps ahead from a fight. The one who "wins" is usually the one that grabs a stool or o bottle first
>>
File: Jacob_Lurie.jpg (18 KB, 400x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>99189
you can do algebraic topology without arithmetic
>>
>>97852
Not if you get knocked the fuck out before you can even take their back. You are delusional
>>
>>97890
....anon, thats called teaching beginner and advanced classes. anyone can go in a beginner class, but unless you are actually good and deserving of it, your not going to keep up in the advanced classes.
>>
>>97830
commie anon buttmad he can't pirate a bjj sparring partner
>>
File: 1655982315390.png (43 KB, 250x199)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>97890
are you from fucking USSR or something? coaches have to make a living lol
>>
File: Capture.png (28 KB, 781x303)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
ADCC rules fix this aspect of BJJ for no-gi at least and mean its an effective art again.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a unified gi ruleset, called JuJitsu, or something that fixes BJJ guard pulling in the same way and allows Judokas, BJJ, and JJJ to all compete against each other.
>>
>>102474
>no positive points in the first half
Why?
>>
>>102714
nta. I believe it's to force action during that time, so you can't just stack points and stall.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.