[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 31 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

people who do taekwondo why do you do it and have you ever used it in a fight cause personally i think its the worst martial arts cause all the high kicks you would never work in a fight and its not close contact so from that i think its useless
>>
if im being honest i dont see why you wouldnt do like muay thai or kick boxing instead the only reason i could see why you wouldnt is because your a wuss
>>
The problem with it is that it is not full contact
>>
Its like Karate its point fighting which is goofy
>>
>>97347
Itf is big dick Korean energy. When. Koreans beat inferior beta males and/or their wives they throw cool ass spinning shit and hard punches. God bless best korea.
>>
wrote a lengthy ass post but decided to delete it since this is one of those eternal retard teenager threads where facts don't matter

taekwondo is good for managing long distance range, mobility, balance, coordination
I have a long competitive background in muay thai, wrestling and MMA, I train taekwondo as well

maybe go outside and do martial arts you useless monkey instead of trying to analyze shit you don't understand
watching UFC doesn't mean you know how to fight
you would get raped by any 100lb teen girl who does taekwondo, you fat fuck
>>
Yes sensei
>>
yea sure we know your built like walter jr your absolute crippled im a 52kg abiba world amature champion youth caddets calm yourself
>>
>>97355
You need to calm yourself Mr spinjitsu
>>
>>97367
why would I want to be low test like you bitch
>>
Im a stinky nigger
>>
>>97347
I was a scrawny nerd who only fought another one back in school. At that point I had only done tkd for 2 months or something, hadn't been taught the spinning back kick but i tried that one and ended the fight. It was tkd, I was doing tkd so is it technically tkd or not?
>>
you definitely think your the main character you still are a scrawny nerd just cause you bet up a 5 year old doesnt make you a tkd master so calm yourself
>>
>>97355
Based take, TKD might be suboptimal in the MMA space but slapping the insane mobility and devastating back kick on someone who can grapple and box and you've got a monster
>>
>>97609
Yeah no shit sherlock. I saw it on tv, thought it’s cool and fluked it in a fight.

It’s still a great base to move onto kboxing. I can spend more time working hands
>>
>>97355
>you would get raped by any 100lb teen girl who does taekwondo, you fat fuck
Where can I sign up to get raped by a small teenage tomboy?
>>
>>97754
Fax
>>
ok grow up
>>
>>97347
>why do you do it
Because I've already been doing it as a casual hobby for 24 years.
>have you ever used it in a fight
No, because I've never been dumb enough to go around getting in fights. I have used it when sparring different styles though.
>i think its the worst martial arts cause all the high kicks you would never work in a fight
They work just fine when you set them up. Also, while it is almost all you see in competitions, TKD does have more techniques than just high kicks.
>its not close contact so from that i think its useless
That's like saying that out-boxing doesn't work.
>>
Seems like a reasonably safe way to slowly and steadily become strong and athletic. Jujimufu and Houston Jones have been doing TKD for most their lives and they're limber IRL gigachads
>>
tkd techniques are fine, it's just the way it's taught means most people don't know how to use them.
>>
I went to boy scout camporee once with a bunch of south koreans. They love their taekwondo over there. Every one of them had practiced to some extent and could throw roundhose kicks over their heads and 6 foot side snap kicks. They put on a taekwondo demonstration during the camporee. Anyone of those random chinks is better in a fight than the kid that stayed at home playing league. There is some useful substance to taekwondo, and for those people, well that's just what they practice.
>>
>>97347
>would never work in a fight
Edson Barboza says "Hi"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKOfa0456Y

>>97350
Yes, but you're kicking people who don't want to be kicked. Which is more than you can say about "traditional" schools that just do kata/form bullshit.
>>
File: wing-chun-stance.jpg (79 KB, 1024x576)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>97347

Wing Chun. Absolutely useless martial art. Has never worked in any context. Practioners are absolutely fucking deluded Chinaboos.

Literally every other TMA has at least produced some useful value when pressure tested in modern competitions.

E.g. taekwondo which is shitty foot fencing at least produced some decebt kickboxers (once they cross trained boxing). Aikido at least is meant to have wrist locks better than most BJJ practioners (once they cross trained BJJ). Etc.

Wing Chun has literally produced no fighters with any kind of merit when actually put to the test. Tbh CMA in general hasn't much unless heavily cross trained.
>>
>>97347
I did it because it looked cool.
And yep, I used it in street fights and won. I practice the ITF style, with is used by the north korean military. Also, with enough skill you can easely land high and jumping kicks.
Taekwondo has a lot of punches, hand strikes, elbow, knee and stuff.
>>
>>97347
Old olympic taekwondo competitions taught people to kick with real power. It was pretty worthless on its own, but trained from a young age and then combined with boxing as an adult it produced some really awesome kickboxers with a much more diverse arsenal of kicks than they would have had if they had only ever done kickboxing. Modern olympic taekwondo is just straight up bad. They don't even seem to be good at kicking anymore they are basically just slapping eachother with their foot. Really sad and lame to watch. As to ITF taekwondo its another flavor of sports karate with all the good and bad things that entails.

https://youtu.be/fiRHQRk0mdk [Open]
>>
>>97349
Wtf tkd is full contact. Full contact =/= good.
>>
I've worked with/for the Kukkiwon and the answer is complicated. The politics behind the creation of the WTF had more to do with international politics than creating a functional martial art. The founders all had backgrounds in mostly different styles of karate, hence why TKD forms are just stylized karate forms.

The introduction of electronic sparring gear was 50% due to judges favoring their home country competitors and 50% due to creating a minimal baseline power standard so it would seem less like a combat sport and more like a "sport", in order to appeal to everyone from fat little downies to old neckbeards. They got what they wanted and rake in a shit ton of $$$ through test fees and Kukkiwon membership fees from schools all over the world. The end result though is a broken martial arts system that in theory should make fast as shit fighters but in reality just makes kids who can repeat "HONOR DIGNITY VIRTUE" or some other magical words really loud.

I still see athletes who def could branch out to different, better paying combat sports if they wanted to but most would rather just shill to a school owner who can pay them a lackluster salary and cut birthday cakes for fat american autists.
>>
>>100599
i love these old school vids but lord, the clown shoes make me want to puke
>>
>>99485
i've been working in the states for the past decade in varisty athletics and at least in the tristate area/virginia/texas/california schools I've worked with/observed, it seems like most schools don't really have a USAT competition division for most students and the goal of classes is to pass the next belt/stripe/patch/sticker test. I see larger schools owned by both koreans and americans transitioning to offer "clinic course" or specialty training classes at a premium that offer in depth poomsae/sparring classes while general classes pretty much just teach what the school's arbitrary "test" will cover. South Korean schools aren't too different, just that test fees are a fraction of US costs (5 bucks for color belts towards getting fried chicken and pepsi for students after the test, 70ish bucks for the Kukkiwon dan/poom filing fee) and there's a more clear high school/collegiate competition pipeline for forms, sparring, and flippy demo stuff.

How do you feel about your 24 years of training? Are there any things you would like to be different? What sort of goals do you have?

Thanks!
>>
>>100580
based commie ITF practitioner
the Young Brothers TKD schools in Pittsburgh was baller back in the early/mid 2000's. Haven't been there in ages but hope they're still kicking ass.

The challenge w/ the non kicking techniques taught in WT/ITF is that the rules of sparring greatly favors just kicks. Something that has been suggested to but denied by the Kukkiwon and ITF is creating a separate division that's basically stylized kickboxing/MT. The ones who are against this are obviously people who profit more from creating a bubble of influence and make believe in which practitioners don't need to be athletes to feel accomplished, and don't want to actually teach people how to fucking fight since that defeats the purpose of a purposefullt tiered curriculum that sacrifices steady athletic development in favor of standardization towards the lowest common denominator (retarded children)
>>
>>100885
I should specify that, while I've been doing it for 24 years, it's been as a casual hobby rather than as a serious competitor. That said, I've been at my school long enough to see it go from actual martial art training to a McDojo and back (usually they bring in fresh instructors from Korea that whip us back into shape). At the end of the day, the school is a business for them and thus they are more likely nowadays to bow to the whims of little Timmy's parents who complain that the sparring to "too rough". But I try and stay serious in my training anyway, even if the non-Korean instructors don't follow up on it. Even when most students are getting participation trophies or pushed through belt promotions that they clearly weren't ready for, there are still enough competitive young guys that keep me on my toes in sparring. And everyone agrees that the Olympics are a shitshow.
>Are there any things you would like to be different?
A total revamp of the sparring rules would be nice. I'd also like it if they didn't just abandon certain parts of the curriculum once you get to a specific level. There are some really cool things one would need to learn for a certain belt rank, but after they pass the belt test they never do it again. Even if it's considered "low level", I would hope a black belt would still be able to do it, just better.
>>
>>100961
I think everything you're saying is really fair and I hope you get the most out of your training, anon.
The Kukkiwon Expo that I'm attending this june/july will be introducing kukkiwon standardized self defense techniques, which I think is a backwards step. Like what you mentioned, simply changing sparring rules or better yet introducing a modified kickboxing/MT ruleset stand up fighting would be the best remedy for boring sparring and creating the environment for practitioners to train to fight/spar in a more grounded setting. Every form, from the 8 Taeguk forms to the 8 black belt forms and hell even the 8 Palgwe forms have, to some degree, everything from knees, elbows, hooks, straight punches, shovel hooks, trips, sweeps, and leg kicks. Yet the Kukkiwon/USAT/Olympics sparring rules have made it so those techniques can only exist within the confines of breaking techniques and forms, neither of which have any direct translation into fighting against an opponent. Outside of the context of using those techniques against an opponent, training it a million times for forms and breaking removes the positioning and angling/set up that one would have to learn and get good at. I agree with you.

The Kukkiwon standardized self defense at the end of the day is just rehearsing and executing a series of somewhat arbitrary techniques against a willing opponent, and in some ways is a continuation of creating a bubble in which people can create a set of standards by which practitioners are measured, tested, and certified, without actually having the experience and challenge of fighting against opponents who want to hurt them.

Idk if I have the balls to speak openly and incur the wrath of every Kim, Yim, Park and Lee out there during the open forum but we'll see. There's a good number of athletes and practitioners alike who agree. Hopefully we can all evolve.
>>
>>97347
>people who do taekwondo why do you do it and have you ever used it in a fight
yes
>i think its the worst martial arts cause all the high kicks you would never work in a fight and its not close contact so from that i think its useless
maybe true but you can beat most people with just decent footwork
>>
Multiple people in this thread have suggested a new set of rules for taekwondo sparring. What would be your idea of a good ruleset? Try to keep it distinct enough that it doesn't just become Muay Thai.
>>
File: escargotaekwando.jpg (90 KB, 570x608)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>97347
Taiquondoo? isnt that like a jedi or is it kimchi savate?
>>
>>101112
become old school american kickboxing. Shit looks fun af
>>
>>101112
>try to keep it distinct
No. Doing that is what lead to toe fencing.
>>
>>100574
umm, sweaty.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prlwv1yURk
>>
>>101155
>having a distinct ruleset leads to toe fencing
Clearly not since every combat sport has their own unique ruleset. I'm just asking for your ideas for a non-toe fencing variant. Fixing Taekwondo shouldn't be about making it not Taekwondo.
>>
>>101216
>>101112
unironically good point. I think people often forget about keeping something its own unique thing. there is a certain point where a martial art just becomes mma, and weither you call it karate or catch wresting or whatever is pretty much just what aesthetic you want to have.
>>
>>101168

Yeah there's some usefulness in Wing Chun carrying techniques and back fist. It's still absolute shite and needs to be cross trained heavily to the point it no longer resembles Wing Chun to be of use tho. You might as well just learn Muay or K1 kickboxing.

Taekwondo at least has produced some decent kickboxers. No one who's primary style is Wing Chun has done shit outside of Chinese propaganda movies.
>>
>>101296
I'll accept that. I just disagree with anyone that wants to put it down to aikido tier of uselessness
>>
>>101462
>aikido tier of uselessness
Aikido isn't as useless as Wingchun
>>
>>97355

Lel it unironically happened to me the frist day at sparring (came from boxing tho so I told them I was cool with sparring, still amazes me how much force she had in those kicks)
>>
Any fags here at the Kukkiwon Expo in DC?
>>
>>101484
Is that true though? There's at least people like Alan Orr that teach Wing Chun and train successful fighters. Granted, Alan Orr's approach is so different from your average WC school that people might not even consider it WC anymore, but it pretty much needs to be that way to make WC successful in competition. There are some guys like Qi La La that have some alright success with their own take on it. The WC that works well won't resemble the typical WC training like >>101296 said, but I'm not sure you can dismiss any improvements as "not WC." Any successful system has changed over the years, and being able to evolve is a necessary component of success.

Are there any Aikido gyms producing fighters? Or Aikido guys having any success with "modified Aikido?" It wouldn't surprise me if Aikido had equivalents, so I'm honestly curious. I also wonder about the value of trying to save something like WC or Aikido in the first place though, beyond cultural preservation or just proving you can do it. I guess improving the standards would benefit all the people still inclined to learn those styles because of the cultural side, and maybe there's some worthwhile ideas/techniques that should be preserved. But it seems strange on some level when there's already many good martial arts gyms that will teach you how to fight now. That said, I like seeing people trying to make them more functional, it's interesting and better than not doing it.
>>
File: 1656237566695.png (242 KB, 308x445)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
ai'ight guys lemme tell a few things about Taekwondo
>Gukgiwon tries to tell people Taekwondo originated from korean traditional martial art Subakdo and Taekggyeon. Not true, TKD is a deriative of Karate
>TKD dojangs are everywhere here, functions like kindergarten where parents can store their kids while at work
>elementary school festivals usually have a TKD showoff where 20 kids wear dobok and perform kata(or as they call it, pumsae) and TKD dance to music like "beethoven virus"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pLkBu4HuUw
>TKD experience doesn't help AT ALL in MMA.
>TKD kicks are widely used in Tricking performances
>>
File: did not read.gif (3.46 MB, 498x278)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB GIF
>>103096
>>
>>100600
Double cope
>>
>>101168
>boxing but he slapped the guys hand away one time because that definitely never happens in boxing or MT
Wtf is this video kek
>>
>>97355
>you would get raped by any 100lb teen girl who does taekwondo, you fat fuck
Hot.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.