[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Was this a good take or a shit take? I vote the first guy kicks the second guy's ass.
>>
>>96806
Put a nak muay who does nothing but roundhouses and teeps during training against a tkdork trying to pull of jumping triple kicks and you'll get your answer.
>>
>>96806
No, the second guy wins
>>
>>96806
It was a good take
>>
>>96806
Fun fact: Most professional fighters have only 1-5 techniques they regularly use.
>>
>>96806
Bruce was an example of how not every legit martial artist has to come from a professional fighter background, though he did fight for a little bit before his acting career took off. Lots of fags like to try to tear him down for that, but show me a martial artist who turns down the film game for real fighting, and I'll show you a fucking retard that is literally operating against the core spirit of martial arts who is also significantly less wealthy. This is a spot on take, Bruce was a truly boundless font of martial maxims.
>>96877
This guy gets it. If you wanna do an experiment, make a spreadsheet of all the basic strikes/throws/submissions from boxing/muay thai/judo/jujitsu. It really won't take that long, then watch any pro MMA venue and tally up what they use. They literally only use the most basic skillsets from each of these styles. Some dudes might practice one or two flair techniques, like spin kicks, or reverse backhands/elbows and shit but thats pretty much the extent of it.
>>
>>96877
>>97515
>This guy gets it
Neither of you get it because you don’t understand there’s a shitload of other skills you need to develope before settling in on your favorite techniques. Olympic judoka may all have their two or three Tokui waza but it’s only after testing out all the judo throws and developing their extensive grip fighting knowledge as well as developing a strong sense of balance and positioning that they are able to pull these off. It is a fundamental misunderstanding to just boldface say “you only need 3 techniques”. There’s a whole lot of other shit you need to know before developing that kind of game.
>>
>>97522
No, there isn't. I can tell you don't train, or else you'd know that specialization doesn't work in reverse. You build your basics first, the simple techniques, then focus on the more challenging ones. No one in this thread "boldface," said you ONLY need 3 techniques. We said that the main core of any fighters arsenal are the basics, with a few advanced moves they're proficient at thrown in. The shit you're talking about is not even taught until you have those basics down first. That's how progression works. You're talking out your ass and just trying to be argumentative.
>>
>>97636
>>97522
To add to my point, the "whole lot of other shit you need to know," always boils down to a bunch of advanced techniques with only slight variations that are highly situational. That is not me saying that they do not serve a purpose. That is me say that purely because of fight mechanics, some techniques are not as common as others, either because the scenario in which you would use them does not happen as often, or because there are other techniques that are simpler to perform and just as effective. Stop pretending that you have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every fucking facet of an art to be proficient. If that were true, then professional fighting would look a lot different than it does.
>>
>>97636
>I can tell you don't train
Lmao
>specialization doesn't work in reverse. You build your basics first, the simple techniques, then focus on the more challenging ones
That’s literally exactly what I said you have to do are you retarded?
>No one in this thread "boldface," said you ONLY need 3 techniques
“Most fighters only have 1-3 techniques they regularly use” makes it sound like that given the context of the thread. when you consider fighters have to work defense against all other techniques under the sun it makes a statement like that not only wrong but also grossly misleading in its intended meaning.
>We said that the main core of any fighters arsenal are the basics, with a few advanced moves they're proficient at thrown in.
You actually didn’t say any of that in the posts I’m responding too, fucking retard.
>You're talking out your ass and just trying to be argumentative.
Don’t say stupid shit like “fighters only use 1-3 techniques” in a thread about a Bruce lee quote where he says only doing one thing 10 thousand times is le super dangerous and I won’t tell you that’s retarded.
>>97637
>blah blah blah the advanced techniques are highly situational
Right and having that knowledge of when and how to use them is useful when you’re a regularly competing fighter who finds them in a multitude of situations.
>Stop pretending that you have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every fucking facet of an art to be proficient
>let me tell you about your opinions
Ok buddy. It’s funny how you go from admitting I’m right (ie: you need to know more than 3 techniques) to completely going off the rails and yelling at me for shit I didn’t say lol. I’m sorry you’ve only been training for six months and think having a lot of technical knowledge is unobtainable.
>>
>>97639
You're a faggot and one of the main reasons this board sucks ass. You inferred shit that no one even remotely implied, you didn't supply any points that actually refuted what anyone else said, just started an argument like a butthurt sperglord cause we didn't go into enough detail for your apparently. No one ever said you did not need to know or do not benefit from knowing those techniques. What was implied, both by Bruces quote, and folks in the thread, was that you don't practice all of it regularly. I would be more cautious fighting someone who has their foundations down solid vs. someone who has tried a little bit of everything. Jesus christ dude, go touch some fucking grass.
>>
>>97646
>imply that you only need three techniques
>”that’s retarded”
>REEEEEEEEEEE UR RETARDED REEEEEE TOUCH GRASS REEEEEEEEEEEEE YOURE MAD REEEEEEEEEEEE
>THIS BOARD SUCKS!
Lmao
>>
You can be bad at something and do it a lot. But you're more likely to be good at it than a guy is to be good at 10,000 things he did once.
>>
It's a bell curve. The shrigma male is the one who practiced 100 kicks 100 times
>>
It's a good quote, basically just saying that dabbling in a bunch of things and never really learning them isn't as valuable as mastering things. Doesn't mean "only doing one thing 10 thousand times is le super dangerous." Just that the guy who puts time into seriously practicing a small number of techniques is a bigger threat than the guy who collects techniques but hasn't spent serious time practicing any of them.
>>
>>96806
Bad take because there aren't that many kicks what a retard lol
>>
>>96806
Have you ever seen an amateur throw a kick? They suck. And someone who sucks at 10000 things will lose to the guy that is actually good at one.
>>
>>96806
I highly doubt Bruce Lee was the one who came up with this notion.
>>
>>100250
Most of his "quotes" are just chinese idioms that weren't famous in English until he said them.
>>
not a bad quote, but bruce lee was a chump. He made money and notoriety off of his movie franchises, but he barely knew kung fu. In order to make himself seem more reputable he would challenge california based kung fu masters while they were on holiday or renewing their american visas, forcing them to forfeit. He was honestly a little bitch ass and he didn't die from asprins, he died because members of the kung fu community murdered him.
>>
Position>Technique
also you fags even train?
>>
>>100850
>In order to make himself seem more reputable he would challenge california based kung fu masters while they were on holiday or renewing their american visas, forcing them to forfeit.
>he died because members of the kung fu community murdered him
Funny post, but some people are dumb enough to believe it when you post stuff like that. Unless you're actually one of those kung fu dudes that hates Bruce for talking smack about traditional kung fu. I've seen guys like that, they always believe in weird things.
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 300x168)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>96806

Yup a few simple moves perfected and a shit load of strength & conditioning, like with every combat sport and Western martial art, beats the stupid flashy complex technique focused Eastern bullshit done by some wise old Master.

Bruce knew that from experience of having trained boxing. Unfortunately everyone who promises him seems to have got the opposite lesson.

Alot of it is CCCP propaganda combined with Western weeb pussies who don't want to do hard conditioning work or proper sparring, and admit those dumbass Eastern TMA don't fucking work any more.
>>
>>100850
That's funny, you sound like one of the butt hurt fags that started spewing all kinds of propaganda in an effort to discredit him. Do you have any idea how heavily documented that dudes life is? He privately trained with Yip Man for years, it doesn't get more kung fu than that. Was brawling in street fights as a kid, got so bad he nearly got thrown in jail, that's why his parents pushed him to go to America. Won multiple competitions starting young with his school's boxing tournament at 18. No one ever fucking thought he died from aspirin and that conspiracy bullshit was debunked ages ago. He died from a cerebral edema most likely brought on by heat stroke, dehydration, and exertion cause he was busting his ass so hard on his last film. You're the little bitch dude.
>>100872
Good take. It is funny the shit Bruce gets from the larger martial arts community when he was one of the original bullshido debunkers.
>>
>>96806
its a good take. if youve ever done any good MA with sparring you would know that most people require like 50 repetitions to be consistently mediocre (rather than shit) at a
move. if you practice a move once it might as well be as if you've never done it at all. and if youve never sparred with said move then theres a 99% chance you wont know the details on how to use it or when to use it in an actual fight.
Of course knowing variation is important but its more important to consistently refine your bread and butter.
>>97522
obviously its better to have both. but if i had to chose between the extremes of breadth or depth in a fight depth and familiarity will consistently win. i am by no means an expert judoka but i know around 20 throws, of those 20, maybe 4 of them (tai otoshi, seoi nage, osoto, harai goshi) i can get successfully 40-80% of the time. The rest im too shit at to even mention, even if i do practice them, like uchimata which ive been drilling consistently but have not performed once in randori; i always end up with a harai goshi.
>>
>>97639
>“Most fighters only have 1-3 techniques they regularly use”
You actually sound retarded, this statement specifically has the operative word "regularly" in it.
>>
>>97646
Don't waste your time arguing with retards. Dude is clearly a low IQ contrarian.
>>
There aren't 10000 different kicks and no one that practiced all of them only once : more drivel from the "be like water, man" retard. Fuck this faggot.
>>
You retards know that he was being general with the phrase, as in it's better to be really good at one focused thing rather than but lackluster in a bunch of stuff.
>>
>>101691
Merriam-Webster's definition of "hyperbole": http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hyperbole
>extravagant exaggeration (such as "mile-high ice-cream cones")

Merriam-Webster's definition of "metaphor": http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/metaphor
> a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them (as in drowning in money)

>tldr
>You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>101732
Can't believe how stupid and pathetic you are ; I take solace in knowing the slave life you will live.
>>
>>101815
So you think Bruce was speaking literally?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.