[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: skater weed.jpg (130 KB, 700x467)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Why is marijuana use and skateboarding so intertwined? Not just skateboarding even in surfing and snowboarding but its really big in skateboarding? Personally ive been skating high for so long I wonder if skating sober would help me progress faster
>>
Look into counter-culture prior to y2k. Back then, being all anti-establishment didn't mean sucking your dad's- well, I mean... Anyway, back then, it meant being loose, psychologically, and doing dangerous things, physically. Weed and skateboads are just one combinatorial way of achieving this particular state of nirvana. Asking why we want to be this way (cool) is a completely different (hype)beast.
>>
>>96708
Skateparks give drug dealers a place to loiter. That's really all there is to jt.
>>
>>96708
Because of Andrew Reynolds the sick freak and his stupid little Baker brand.
>>
>>96740
the surfer bums that skated in 70s were all huge stoners. the vert guys in the 80s were out of their minds on cocaine. the emb locals in the early 90s were regularly using crack. this predates baker entirely.
>>
>>96743
Harder drugs will make me skateboarding good?
>>
>>96749
Of course. You're not going pro without doing speedballs.
>>
>>96743
the "skaters were all straight laced before baker" history revisionism that one or two posters seem to be pushing is hilarious
>>
>>96708
skateboarding has a low entry barrier so it tends to attract losers more likely to engage in high-risk behavior
>>
>>96743
So what drugs are we doin' in the 00's, 10's and 20's?
>>
>>96773
00s ecstasy
10s research chemicals and xanax
20s ketamine
>>
>>96775
Gnarly, except I don't have any money. I'm going to go train my lungs to contain all of my chakras by playing the Final Fantasy songs on the flute while skateboarding until I can sneeze myself into a k-hole.
>>
>>96708
i imagine it forces flow that would require warm-up skating to achieve. my impression of skating culture is to sit around until someone relevant with a camera shows up then make a big and risky investment because even if they bail it'll look good on tape. the vibe i get from skaters is they act hard but they don't want to put on ppe and put in work because they're scared they'll land into a bigger injury. i imagine statistics would show otherwise however. take this with a grain of salt though. my only experience with skateboarding is bombing giant hills on a penny board not knowing how to powerslide.
>>
File: FS6NZbhXwAI503f.jpg (307 KB, 1024x683)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>96708
Skateboarding and Surfing are about freedom and sticking it to the man - NoBallsNoNets. The machine loves booze, keeps the masses in check and work overtime for their masters. The American cowboy spirit is still alive and that's why it's legal in the US and illegal in many parts of the EU. God's Nature is to Bless.
>>
>>96775
00s and some of the 10s is everyone stealing oxycontin fron their grandmas cupboard and then overdosing on fentanyl
>>
>>96708
>skateboarding is a teenagers hobby
>teenagers smoke weed because they don’t have any responsibilities
I’ve cracked the case
>>
>>96909
No, you've weeded the case. The case is still very much intact and we are still very much trying to open it, but now it looks nicer because there aren't several different species of relatively small, hardy plants growing out of it. You may be getting a visit from the Caseowner's Association soon.
>>
>>96897
oh yeah i forgot about oxycontin god i miss that shit
>>
>>96897
damn reminds me of CJ Tamborino, that guy was so good.
>>
>>96798
>Skateboarding and Surfing are about freedom

This also includes some degree of freedom from temporal reality in the form of time dilation ie the perception of passing time slowing down- especially with surfing time can seem to almost stop as you experience your surroundings and that experience is a huge part of its appeal, with implications about perception that affect other aspects of life on a spiritual level if you are inclined to consider them.
Mind altering drugs and especially cannabis can do something similar, and the combination of being baked and experiencing natural time dilation when flying through the air weightless or standing inside a huge barrel can amplify the good feelings.
One of the craziest things to experience is getting tubed and seeing the tube close up in front of you and in the moment before it collapses realizing that you are completely underwater inside a bubble but have plenty of time to calmly think about and take a final breath before it all collapses.
In reality it's a split second but it seems like minutes, and it's both highly unnatural (intellectually) and perfectly natural at the same time.
>>
File: AKnK2xY.gif (3.62 MB, 543x305)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB GIF
>>96721
>eed and skateboads are just one combinatorial way of achieving this particular state of nirvana.
>bingo
When you get to the point that the board becomes and extension of your feet, smoking a little bit, let's you slow down and focus on the trick at hand. You can almost feel the rotation, lock, slide of your board.
>>
File: xBjYv82X8Jg6k.gif (1.05 MB, 480x270)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB GIF
>>96743
>the emb locals in the early 90s were regularly using crack
>more acid from what I saw
Jovante ran with Hiero
>who you think introduced Caroll to em
>>
>>96749
>Harder drugs will make me skateboarding good?
>no
Practice and God given gifts make you good at skateboarding
>>
File: steve-rocco.jpg (18 KB, 172x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>96754
>"skaters were all straight laced before baker" history revisionism
>Rocco brought in the hard stuff to the pros in the 90's. Rave scene in the bay played a role.
Andrew didn't start this fire
>>
>>97065
ur god damn right I didn't. Humans been doin' drugs for- Oh you meant Reynolds. Yeah, Reynolds might not have started the fire, but I didn't, either!!
>>
File: images (31).jpg (9 KB, 201x251)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>96775
>00s ecstasy
>10s research chemicals and xanax
>20s ketamine
Sounds, about right
>bonus points for Nyjah's horse steroids
Sorry, sorry, I meant "performance enhancers" Nike recommends in their athletes' diets.
>>
File: images (32).jpg (7 KB, 309x163)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>96798
>Skateboarding and Surfing are about freedom and sticking it to the man - NoBallsNoNets. The machine loves booze, keeps the masses in check and work overtime for their masters. The American cowboy spirit is still alive and that's why it's legal in the US and illegal in many parts of the EU. God's Nature is to Bless.
>respect
This anon gets it
>>
File: download (10).jpg (4 KB, 300x168)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>96926
>This also includes some degree of freedom from temporal reality in the form of time dilation ie the perception of passing time slowing down- especially with surfing time can seem to almost stop as you experience your surroundings and that experience is a huge part of its appeal,
>talking about the green-room brother
https://youtu.be/wZs6s2w7SV8
>>
File: 1652237535209.jpg (22 KB, 480x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>97067
>but I didn't, either!!
>respect
>>
File: EEH44AIVUAEFswb.jpg (248 KB, 893x1200)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>96775
>20s ketamine
great news for /our guy/
>>
>>97070
Or the brown room if you surf in TX
>>
dude
>>
>>97170
WEED
LMFAO
>>
>>96775
2030's veganism
>>
>>96708
Because only druggie losers skate and surf
>>
>>97070
>>97070
great music taste bruh
>>
>>96708

>Surfing and counterculture (read: weed) reach huge popularity with California Boomer teens in the late 1960s
> Surfing is awesome while high
> Surfers start Skateboarding in the 70's, weed habit stays
> Successive generations see them as complimentary
>>
>>97446
best answer here im OP
>>
What about snowboarding and skiing?
>>
>>96775
fuck me I love ketamine
>>
>>98832
i do too but its pretty impossible to skate on. i did just the tiniest line and couldn't even stand on my board. compare that with shrooms where it feels like your glued to the board
>>
>>96897
Literally me, now I'm just stuck on kratom. Could be worse and a nice tall glass of kratom is nice after a whole day skating in the summer heat
>>
>>96728
Doesn’t really explain why it’s popular among snowboarders and surfers too.
>>
>>96749
speed (meth or ritalin) will make you ride very good. just dont do a lot. and then of course after 8 hours, go to bed instead of doing more.

cocaine just makes you jittery.
>>
>>98873
>>98873
its popular everywhere you retard, very weird thread
>>
>>98963
Tom Simms snowboarding team did an insane amount of coke, made it synonymous with west coast snowboarding. It’s likely why he passed away of a heart attack early.
>>
>>98967
Weed brain has made them stupid
>>
>>96721
this is as accurate as it gets. both that and just that fact that both activities were socially shunned and they just happen to fit together perfectly.
>>
>>96708
people with less professional obligations and less regard for others' opinions of them do more drugs.
a lot of skatebaorders only really care about skateboarding. why else would anyone pursue a hobby which is so unimpressive, despite its difficulty, to anyone who doesnt skate, and which is so ostensibly dangerous
>>
>>98840
You're supposed to take it before you skate, man. That way you don't feel it as much when you fall. Also, remember to stay hydrated when you do this. Doing otherwise is not healthy.
>>
>>98873
niggas just like to get fucked up and shred bro
>>
>>96721
Yes. Watch this video.
>>
>>102918
https://youtu.be/XBiUEgNkNXw
>>
>>98873
Because this shit hurts my body and I’d rather smoke a little bit of weed at the end of the day than get fucked up off of percs or ruin my liver with too much ibuprofen

Goddamn are you people dense or just willfully stupid?
>>
>>102920
this. how else could I work as a fabricator for 8 hrs then skate for 3 more hrs. weed makes it possible to get out of bed the next morning.
>>
>>102926
u smoke in the morning or what?? when do you plan your smoke sessions for tha tto work out
>>
>>96708
>weed is a drug best done if have little to no responsibilities
>skating is a sport best done if you have little to no responsibilities
>shocked Pikachu face
Look, the only people who have ever excelled at skating, are the ones who have nothing to do besides skating. The only responsible adults I see skating are the ones that cruise & bowl surf. Ain't no one working in a 9-5 at will salary/wagie cagie risking their livelihood for fucking skating.
>>
>>96708
The OG skateboarders were all deadbeat hippie burnout surfers in southern california looking for something to do when the waves sucked. They spent their entire youth living in shitty vans, fucking beachbunnies, smoking weed, surfing, and skating.
Even as skateboarding moved away from its surfing roots, it was always deeply rooted in a strong counterculture/punk rock/anarchist identity. Weed is about the mildest thing they did. In the 80s and 90s, it was common for pros to do hardcore shit like speed and smack.
>>
>>96749
More like make you a social pariah who then has the time to dedicate towards skateboarding because all your friends and family disowned you and you can no longer hold a steady job
>>
>>98523
>snowboarding
Yes
>skiing
Hell no. Skiing is old school european aristocratic sport. About as likely to see skiiers smoking a joint as you are tennis players.
>>
>>103868
Urban Skiing is pretty popular and there are many different genres.
>>
>>96708
I don't know how anyone can skate high.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.