[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 11 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

As a 5’9” guy, would kickboxing/Muay Thai or BJJ be better for me to learn if I only had the time to train one? I want to use it for general self-defense and fitness.
>>
>>95562
bjj gay, muay thai straight, if you like gay do bjj
>>
>>95562
Try both and see what you enjoy more. Knowing a bit of both is the ultimate self-defense knowledge base (comfortable standing, comfortable on the ground)
Realistically it will just be a hobby, and you will only keep going back if you enjoy it
>>
>>95562
self defense is a meme if you live in a civilized first world country and as far as fitness goes you can be a fat fuck and still do bjj but if you show up to muay thai class you're going to shed pounds and be in the best shape ever.
>>
>>95562
do bjj for self defense if you want to get kicked in the head by some rando otherwise do kickboxing/muay thai
>>
Get a gun for self defense
>>
>>95699
I have a handgun, but you don’t always want to carry a gun everywhere.
>>
>>95621
>civilized first world country
You mean those countries that people from uncivilized countries flock to?
>>
>>96014
no, that's not what i mean
>>
>>96023
Not on purpose, at least.
>>
>>95562
If you're just getting into one for self-defence and fitness, the clear option is muay Thai. It's way more physically demanding and if you ever get into a situation where you need to defend yourself, you're probably not gonna have many options to go to the ground and get the positions that you want.
>>
>>95562
You really don't want to be rolling around on the ground outside of the ring. MT
>>
I've heard that if a MT fighter and a BJJ fighter go against each other, the BJJ fighter would win. But don't quote me on that.
BJJ might be better for someone who's short but imo 5'9 isn't that short.
>>
>>96127
>if a MT fighter and a BJJ fighter go against each other, the BJJ fighter would win
In sports and competitions this is oftentimes the case, but a real world fight has a different set of variables that tilt the choice more towards MT/striking.
In a competition you're 1v1, on a relatively clean and smooth surface, you can tap out, there are no weapons, etc.
If you use BJJ on the street you can get headkicked by the guy's friends, you can roll on glass/needles/etc (even just the concrete will fuck up your clothes, which isn't as vital as the other points, but it still sucks to fend off a mugger and having to throw away your jacket or something), the guy can pull out a knife while you're choking him, etc.
It's just too dangerous to roll in a street fight.
With a striking martial art you can do so much more in these situations. Every video where one guy beats multiple opponents is a striking match (obviously difficult but doable if you manage your distance so that you only fight them one at a time). I don't see how you can realistically roll against two opponents. Throws and some takedowns where you can easily go back to your feet can be useful I guess, but definitely not rolling.
If the dude pulls out a knife you can choose either fighting or fleeing, while with grappling you can only stay there and fight, and in case you do, disarming an opponent armed with a non-firearm weapon, while very hard and dangerous, is much more doable with striking than grappling (especially when you know how to kick from a good distance).

Obviously the ideal is to be good at both, but for self defense, striking is the more sensible choice.
Also, being big and strong helps a ton no matter the technique.
I'd also add that by carrying yourself like someone who doesn't look like a pushover who can be fucked with, most thugs will leave you alone in favor of an easier prey, so this, alongside trying to avoid physical altercations when possible, will result in the best overall outcome.
>>
>>96127
I trained at years at a gym that started as a MT gym and then opened up to BJJ and MMA back when shootboxing memes where probably at their peak. Like 95% of the time guys that tried to shoot on me just ended up getting kicked in the head or knee to face and got instantly ko'd. Only guys that were very, very experienced could get a take down on me at which point I was pretty much fucked because I had no ground game at the time. Thats just my personal experience though.

But if we're talking about every day practical defense "on the street" as it were, I would go MT. Not because BJJ is bad but because there are too many things that could go wrong when you try to go to the ground outside the ring with no rules. Better to stay on your feet

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.