[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 75 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: hikers.jpg (346 KB, 1926x1053)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
Discourteous hikers edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO-R7nLgFEU

Post pics of your rides
Ask questions
Discuss problematic hikers you have encountered.

FAQ:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Used hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
Used full suspension
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent value bike.
This is a handy guide. Not comprehensive but a good guide for american riders. Europeans and Asians have access to other brands.
https://youtu.be/p_xdAi1xVDE
https://youtu.be/ihlQDGClCbs

Previous thread:
>>86962
>>
How thoroughly do you service your bike at the start of the season? It's my third year riding and last year I used a free service package included with the purchase. I live in a really crammed student apartment and I don't really have all the tools I would like, so I'm considering paying for getting it serviced this year as well. Would that be money well spent or completely retarded?
>>
>>95377
Top kek, the trail ended a few meters away
>>95383
Same situation as you.
Get the tools and do it yourself. I do the bearings and brakes myself. I'll get a shimano cassette tool and the bb remover thing to do the fork, hubs and bb. There are some tool kits on amazon.
>>
File: 1651812821566.png (1.09 MB, 879x879)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>95394
Congratulations, fren.
>>
File: IMG_20220507_181055289.jpg (1.69 MB, 2201x2679)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
continuation from previous thread. Is it normal for your fingers to be in pain from arm pump after long rough descents.
>pic related bonus points if you recognize it
>>
>>95404
Just your fingers? It's never happened to me except in my outer fingers when deathgripping and braking on a chunky descent like the one pictured. I don't get arm pump though.
>>
>>95404
If it hurts, just keep riding. You’ll lose all feeling in your fingers soon enough and they’ll just feel like lumps of steel attached to your wrist. Makes for a good way to learn brake modulation too when you have zero tactile response
>>
>>95402
I appreciate the answer, mate. And I agree, the Stoic 3 seems the correct choice. Good as it is, but with room for improvement (that drivetrain is asking for a future upgrade).
>>
Upgraded the 100mm xcountry hardtail for a 140mm full sus trail bike. Feels good man.

>>95461
Just read your posts in the last thread and the stoic is the one you want, definitely. Also listen to this guy about the dropper! Best bit about my upgrade by far. Getting into this sport is the best thing I've ever done by the way.
>>
>>95461
>>95492
Even if you don't get the one with the dropper post, use the money you save to get a better aftermarket dropper like a PNW or a One-Up. People aren't kidding or hyping up how much better riding with a dropper is. It really did revolutionize the sport.
>>
>>95461
I'm surprised that you are aware that SX is not that good. Remember that you need pedals too. Get some flat ones with nice pins and use them with shoes that have a grippy rubber sole, this will keep your feet where they should be without having to buy MTB-specific shoes. And there's other stuff you need to buy as well, your budget is not just the bike. You need a helmet, knee/elbow pads, chain lube, something to clean the chain like a degreasing solvent, isopropyl alcohol, a decent multitool, a couple of inner tubes (you should convert to tubeless as soon as you can anyway, this will improve the quality of your riding and make punctures significantly less of a pain in the ass and less frequent too), tyre levers, a minipump with a pressure gauge (or if you want to get a more accurate dedicated gauge even better), a shock pump (you'll probably get this one with the bike), a bottle cage and a bottle (you can probably get a way with a regular one from the grocery store at first as long as it's properly held by the cage) unless you have one of those camelback bladders. A bike stand is super useful but perhaps you might want one later on. Once you get the bike you need to set up the fork, inflate the tyres to the right pressure for you and adjust the seatpost to your height. Which reminds me, make sure you buy the right size for you, there are indications in the website that tell you which size is best for you. You don't want a bike that is too big or too small for you. Plan your routes beforehand and take your phone with you. You can find lots of maps online where you can see where the trails are around you. And always take enough water and food with you unless you are going to be riding for less than an hour, your body will need energy and you'll quickly discover that the fun stops really fast once you are lacking some calories, fruits and energy bars are good for this.
>>
>>95461
>>95497
You might want to carry your stuff in a small backpack or a fanny pack if your pockets are not big enough. And finally, wash at least the moving parts of the bike after every ride, you don't really need a dedicated degreaser for the chain, regular dish soap and a dish brush will keep your drivetrain quite clean. Water alone should be enough for the telescopic surfaces of the fork and the dropper. It's a good idea to use isopropyl alcohol on the rotors every now and then to keep your brakes working properly, you don't want to have oil or stuff like that on them.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
>>
>>95492
>>95496
>>95497
>>95498
Okay, now that's a lot of useful information. I appreciate your TED talk.

Regarding protection, I don't know if pads are a must right now, since I'm not going crazy until I have some good control. This helmet caught my attention though (I'm pretty sure I can get something just as good, but cheaper, but well...):
https://www.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-helmets/products/kortal-race-mips?variant=41479422869656
>>
>>95503
That's a great helmet. I recommend the Giro Fixture. It's very common because it comes at a great price, it's comfortable, you can slot your glasses in the back, it's safe, comfortable, and comes in a lot of colors. I still regularly ride with mine
>>
>>95503
>I don't know if pads are a must right now, since I'm not going crazy until I have some good control.
I recommend some light knee pads and gloves. Most standard crash in my opinion is a front wheel washout, you will git gud at putting a foot down eventually, not had a single one since getting back on the bike touch wood (few near misses) but I remember a lot of crashes onto my knees as a kid.
>>
Aparently my yari has racingbros seals. Are SKF seals a meme or not? 32€ for them instead of 16€ for normal rockshox ones seems high.
>>
>>95560
I got them, but when I was bantering with the tech he said that they last a bit longer and are of denser and of better polyurethane quality. Not worth the x2 pricetag though, fork will be better off with you changing the seals and servicing it twice as often with rockshox parts..
>>
>>95503
If you have a slimmer and longer head than normal, I recommend the fox speedframe. Great protection, ventilation and comfort.
>>
>>95560
>SKF seals a meme
No
>>
>>95503
>since I'm not going crazy until I have some good control.
Crashes are going to happen even if you aren't going crazy, that's why pads are always important. You don't need to go full DH body armor that covers everything, but kneepads and elbowpads are very useful. Add gloves to the list as well, getting cuts in your palms and fingers is a massive pain in the ass, and you don't even need MTB-specific at first, anything that is grippy and not too thick will work. That helmet is very good, and you are right that you can get by with something cheaper. MIPS is always good as well.
>>
File: 20220510_214120.jpg (2.58 MB, 4032x2268)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
>>95503
Knee pads are a must for me. When you slide or get ejected knees are going first with the force of your whole body. And you can't ride down with a broken kneecap. I still use the dakine Anthem pads I bought in 2017. Still good.
I don't ride with elbow pads. Forearms take most hits compared to elbows. This particular spot has been through alot. Everysingle time I get in a bad crash tiny chunks of flesh gets out, leaving a hole.
>>95573
>>95569
So whats the consensus. Do you also agree they are not worth 2x the price?
But look at this. Gives me a boner on how it slides kek. https://youtu.be/y4H_kiWl2jM
I could get away with the rockshox ones as I'll start doing the service of the fork on my own
>>
>>95593
It's likely that SKF is the OEM manufacturer for SRAM. Link related is for Fox, but I'd bet it's the same for your fork.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/skf-versus-fox-oe-wiper-seals-long-term-results.1095764/
>>
can someone tell me if I can swap the crankset from 3 to 1 so I only have a third of the gears? would this be too complicated for somebody with no experience and would it even give the desired effect? (I just want less gears like a proper mountain bike)
>>
>>95596
They are racingbros, its written on the seals
>>
>>95604
I can't tell you what fits or what doesn't fit on your bike, the hardest part about doing what you want to do is getting the crank off since it gets tightened down hard and then it gets stuck over the years. You're going to have to get a new cassette with a wider range if you still want to have an easier time climbing and taking off a cassette is a similar type of job as changing the crank where the process is very simple but requires a lot of force, You'll also need a new chain if get more gears in the back, which is also a simple process but doesn't require much force
>>
>>95612
youre assuming also that there is enough room on the hub for an 11-speed casette

>>95604
most bikes these days have a '1x' or 'one-by' drivechain (drivechain is the term used for chainring, chain, derallieur and rear casette)

if you only ever pedal when going uphill then you could get away with losing the two larger rings on your crank chainring (if they even come off, you may have to get a new single ring if not)
>>
>>95612
>>95618
so I bought it from a guy that replaced the cassette and when I took it to a bike shop, they told me the casette is for a 1-by or whatever though it will work with the crankset currently on the bike
>>
>>95605
>racingbros
I don't think racingbros is oem. From what I remember they're aftermarket less friction than the skf's but don't keep the dirt out as well.
>>
>>95404
Yes and no. Depends on how rough/technical the decent is and how long it is.

>>95560
Don't know, but I run them in my lyric. DESU, anything that can improve suspension performance is worth it for a Yari.
>>
>>95604
>like a proper mountain bike
Forget about what you want to do, get a modern MTB instead because yours is just too old. There's no point in riding something with 26" wheels and outdated frame geometry if you want a proper MTB.
>>
>>95691
yeah I bought a brand new trek hardtail a few months ago but it got stolen so I was hoping I could make this old piece of shit into something decent but after my ride today I realized I can't
>>
>>95721
Try buying second hand. Best case scenario you might even find your own bike.
>>
I love my new Kona Unit SS 2022
>>
>>95655
i only count 8 gears on your rear casette, which would need a real small front ring to work as 1x.
if previous owner did indeed choose to downgrade to a 3x then a newer 11speed casette may well fit on the rear wheel, get a tape out and measure how wide it is
>>
>>95721
>>95842
yeah have to agree, if for some reason your brand new trek hardtail wasnt insured then suck it up and get something for the same budget but second hand, youll get more bike for your money.
>>
File: old bike.jpg (403 KB, 1184x666)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>95721
>I bought a brand new trek hardtail a few months ago but it got stolen
Fug, sorry fren. Hopefully the thief dies a slow, painful death in minecraft. Why not just run what you have until you can get another bike? I've had plenty of fun on picrel.
>>
>>95845
Any 0w30 is ok for lyrik lowers right as its just for lubrication.
>>
I'm going to visit San Antonio Texas soon so I was checking out their trails and I don't know if I should thankful, or disappointed that the trails there are really easy and have no elevation. On one hand, I can use my gravel bike for everything there which reduces a lot of weight so the baggage fee is lower, but I was also hoping I would have a reason to bring the full squish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do329ic8h4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxqOf0qvQFE
I wonder if this is how Canadians feel watching videos of Californians riding and not seeing any 10ft high rollercoasters, skinnies, or ladders
>>
>>95924
I personally would not even bother, if the trails are all flat and smooth. I don't ride the flat smooth trails near me, also sometimes called roads, why travel to ride them?
>>
>>95958
I'm going to visit my sister and if I don't ride, I start to go crazy. It's not the techy mountain biking with big climbs and big descents that I'm used to but it should still be fun and sketchy on a gravel bike. There is a very long paved trail(fuck the 15mph speed limit) that runs through the city that chains together a lot of trails
Trailforks is very wrong when it comes to the classification of the trails. The paved trail is rated a green and these offshoots are rated blue, they need to be downgraded.
>>
File: 1651943585589.png (827 KB, 793x761)
827 KB
827 KB PNG
>>95924
>>95961
Juat go to a shooting range. Those trails are flat and hot.
>>
>>95924
I live in San Antonio. Highly recommend Prue Road Trailhead, it leads into a huge trail system and there are plenty of decent trails and BMX areas around there. You're not gonna get any crazy downhill shit but there's enough to keep you satisfied for a few hours if you're a casual-intermediate rider
>>
File: PXL_20220514_165802818.jpg (1.14 MB, 2040x1536)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>96045
>>95978
Thanks for the recs. I was planning to go with my bike in the winter when it's not blazing hot. I wanted to ride the greenway that goes from west, to north, to east and take detours into the dirt.

Also I went riding at Soquel Demonstration National Forest today which is famous for having the longest flow trail in North America, or it formerly had it, not sure anymore, definitely the longest in California. Anyway, I checked out a different trail before hitting the flow which is supposed to be intermediate and it had these random incredibly steep and large drops which caught me by surprise. I wish my picture captured just how gnarly this shit is. Trailforks listed this as a blue but this is rougher than what I've seen on double black diamond trails, Aside from 2 or 3 drops like this, it really is intermediate.
>>
hey anons its me, the guy who said he did not like riding with slow people on group rides.

Thanks for making me realize how much of a retard autist I was being. I now am less of an autist retard because of that.
>>
>>96245
good for you retard
>>
File: yui-had-enough.png (164 KB, 640x480)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
Might be a really retarded question but how big of a factor is bodyweight for manuals/wheelies? It's proving way more difficult for me to learn than it should be and I'm starting to think the problem is less about skill and more about me weighing just 55kg
>>
>>96365
Not a factor at all imo, small children can wheelie. Wheelie is a prerequisite to manual anyway.
You really need to shift your weight backwards and put some torque into the crank to get the wheel up. Deliberately looping out is the best way to learn the balance point to start off. You can then feather the back brake to adjust.
>>
esl here. i have a flyer goroc 2 mountain e-bike and i drive 20 kilometers to work and 20 kilometers back everyday. i do it since a couple of weeks and i drive through a forrest. its the third time my tire has deflated and i had to carry my bike for 15 kilometers. how do i avoid this? better tires? the bike is leased and i could swap it for another one. any advice welcome.
>>
>>96410
learn how to fix a flat tire
>>
>>96410
Tubeless
>>
>>96413
thanks. i look into that.
>>
>>96365
Unless your bike weighs close to as much as you do it's not a factor. I couldn't wheelie until is was about 8 because the bikes I rode weighed about 50lbs and I weighed 80lbs
>>
>>96410
>>96419
Try higher tyre pressure since it's a leased bike and you probably can't do modifications to it such as a tubeless set up. Keep in mind that very high pressures reduce grip, so don't go crazy. Still, we need more information about the bike and the kind of trail your ride through every day.
>>
>>96410
What's happening with the tires? Are you getting punctures or pinch flats? if it's punctures, either go tubeless, or get tire liners or new tires. If it's pinch flats, increase your tire pressure or go tubeless.
>>
>>96441
my bike is ~30kg afaik it's an aluminum enduro bike
>>
>>96451
I highly doubt that an enduro bike is 30kg, only e bikes, and tandems weight that much. Enduro bikes have been below 18 kg since enduro bikes became a thing.
>>
File: 2022fuseexpert29.jpg (270 KB, 1596x889)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
Looking at buying a Specialized Fuse Expert 29 as my first *serious* MTB in a few days once the local shop builds it. The price is around where full-suspensions start ($2700 USD) but I think a hardtail with great components will be better for a beginner, and it is still stretching my budget.
It's an XL which I'm hoping will be fine for me at 5'11" even though Specialized recommends a L for my height.
What do you guys think?
>>
>>96506
Yeah I meant pounds that was a mistype
>>
>>96510
Maybe keep shopping dude, its not an especially high spec bike. Definitely not for the money.

The rhythm fork is the base model fox chassis, grip dampener is ok but still pretty average. Drivetrain is all mid range sram. The wheelset is no name stuff, specialized tyres are fuckin junk.

Its definitely an ok bike, its not about to go out and break in half or anything but IMHO its more of a $1400 bike than a $2900 bike.
>>
>>96510
Agree with what the other poster said about looking for something used. Hardtail is a good shout though and the geometry looks good.
That said why do you want a bigger bike? If you're wanting to send trails then smaller is better. If anything I am a size up from my bike, not the other way around.
>>
>>96510
Get a good full suspension frame, with crappy components, because any full sus will be better than a hardtail. I am reasonably sure pinkbike just did their value field test so find the best bike in your budget
>>
>>96532
Do this. Buy some low end bike with good frame and shitty components. At first they'll be good enough for you at start. Manufacturers usually cheap out on brakes so maybe look for some second hand. Last mont I bough a set of guide RSC for 200€. Also maybe imho I would recommend avoiding fox suspension because it's expensive to service. I bought a new Cannondale habit for 2k and only thing I upgraded were those brakes and bartered with my friend for a different seatpost.
>>
>>96510
Not good value, and an XL is probably too big for you.
>>
>>96045
is the leon creek area the only place with decent trails? I havent explored much of the salado or river areas in the southside of town.
>>
>learning to ride on full sus
ngmi
>>
>>96523
>>96531
>>96532
>>96543
OK, I took your guys' advice and found there were some SJ Alloys available nearby in my size so I went and bought one (pic related) after trying their demo version. They're building it today and I pick it up tomorrow.

>>96572
I'm still new here too so I'm not sure but that's where I've been going.

>>96576
oh no...
>>
>>96510
>$2700 USD
Bloody hell no, that's quite some money.
Hard Tails can be awesome, but imo on a budget/second bike like the gt Zaskar LT.

If you're going to spend that money try to get a gt sensor or force

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/sensor-sport

And I'm pretty sure there might be other brands with good enough parts out there.
>>
>>96531
>If you're wanting to send trails then smaller is better.
having to move arround a small reach to reach stability is not better imo. Smaller can be playfull but bigger can be more stable if i'm not mistaken
>>
>>96588
Riding a frame that's too large for you will get you hurt, period. Riding a smaller frame is uncomfortable, but you can still maintain control. Look at bmx and trials riders. Use the correct sized frame for optimal comfort.
>>
>>96072
That section surprised me the first time because otherwise the rest of the trail was kinda boring compared to Braille or Flow.
>>
>>96582
Unironically>>96576
Ngmi
>>
File: Happypettingrat.webm (2.97 MB, 404x720)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>Whistler opening tomorrow
>Les Gets opened
>7laux opens this weekend
It begins
Where will (You) be riding?
>>
https://youtu.be/EpTMBarR1fw

craziness
>>
File: PXL_20220514_183147120.jpg (3.47 MB, 4080x3072)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
>>96608
I'm just glad I rode Sawpit first before climbing back up to ride down Flow. I was so exhausted riding down Flow that I had to take numerous breaks, people there thought I was a madman for climbing up Tractor Trail without an ebike. If I had done Sawpit second, I probably would have crashed.
I haven't ridden Braille yet. I hear it's really tough but the videos don't show it so I assume it's really steep and fast
>>
>>96640
I think it's tough if you're hitting every single drop and skinny. Is Tractor the one that weaves through Flow? Bruh, ride up Sulphur. Where else do you ride at? I'm over in the East Bay and ride a lot of the loose shit out here.
>>
>>96641
Yes, Tractor weaves through Flow, it's just so steep. I'll ride up Sulphur next time since I had to hike my way up Tractor and then once I got out of it, I had to hike up part of Ridge trail and move out of the way when riders would come through. I just wanted to prove to myself that I can handle two loops at Demo and I thought Tractor would be the fastest way back up.
I'm also in East Bay. I mostly ride at Joaquin Miller Park but I haven't been there in over a month. Recently, I've been mixing it up by riding at Skeggs, Waterdog/Hidden Canyon, Camp Tamarancho, Santa Teresa County Park, and Demo. I am very close to Pleasanton-Sunol Regional Park but I rarely ride there because the singletrack is illegal and the park rangers will ticket mountain bikers
>>
>>96582
Awesome, enjoy your new ride. Pro tip, learn to bunnyhop in both English and American. Teaches you how to weight/unweight the bike to get it into the position you want it to be.
>>
>>96645
Nice I used to ride most of those places often except for Waterdog/Hidden Canyon. I have had to run from rangers once at PRidge but that's in like 3 years of riding there. Some of the trails are pretty damn sketch.
>>
Why do snakes always try to come say hi to me I never want to talk
>>
>>96706
Do you mean literal snakes?
>>
>>96630
You have to define make it here. Maybe he just doesn't want to ride advanced stuff.

>>96691
>learn to bunnyhop in both English and American
The fuck is this supposed to mean? Did you want to say in both flats and clipless?
>>
File: PXL_20220514_172516309.jpg (699 KB, 2040x1536)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
>>96706
I saw snakes twice last week. It was nice. This little guy was in the middle of a heavily trafficked uphill climb so I convinced it to move
>>
File: PXL_20220513_001322070.jpg (1.48 MB, 2040x1536)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>96741
I should have put something down for scale(pun intended), this was a big boy
>>
File: gnomemanlet.jpg (33 KB, 585x764)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>96739
>>The fuck is this supposed to mean?
>he doesn't know
Ngmi
Did you also learn on a FS bike?
>>
>>96764
That question wasn't for you.
>>
File: large.jpg (73 KB, 1184x580)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Do you have any KOMs
(On descents)?
>>
I bought a 29er hard tail

My lower back hurts after I ride it for around an hour

Is this normal as a new rider?
>>
>>96768
I have one KOM and I don't count it because I got it from doing every feature at the park I ride on my dirt jumper in a specific order.
There is one short downhill where I'm 6 seconds off the KOM but I haven't seriously tried it in almost two years because the whole park is too easy for a mountain bike so I ride my gravel bike there. It's always a gamble to try to speed through that trail because it's popular with walkies.
>>
>>96768
I switched from my 2019 YT Capra to my 2008 Enduro SL for one run to let my buddy try a modern bike, and I suddenly got 10th place time in a top-to-bottom chunky flow trail at a chairlift bike park. The leaderboard has several notable regional racers and several locally-based race teams.
I did not feel comfortable taking that bike a second time (headset issues, leaky fork, very broken rear shock) and I have not been able to match that time on my YT Capra or my 29” aggressive hardtail

Clearly 2.0 x 26” tires and short geometry is the way to go fast
>>
>>96742
Normally they’re small, or fully stretched out (apparently this is much safer than S-shaped), or I can see them from a reasonable distance. But this time there was a really big pretty snek moving straight into the trail from the tall grass, S shaped, that I didn’t notice until my tires were already passing it. That snek had a direct shot at my left leg if it felt like it.

I did notice it didn’t even tense up as my tire passed inches away from its head, only when I shouted “DDOOOOOHH SNAKE” did it seem to react
>>
Who here can wheelie?
>>
>>96864
I can 360 over a 15ft gap jump
>>
>>96739
>The fuck is this supposed to mean? Did you want to say in both flats and clipless?
You can look it up on youtube but brief explanation here. English bunnyhop is kinda where both the wheels come off the ground at the same time. American is when the front wheel comes up first and then you lift up the rear wheel, you get more height with this method. Funny thing is I'm American and in the suburban town I grew up in we called an English bunnyhop a bunnyhop and we called an American bunnyhop a bronco.
>>
Has anyone considered building a bike like this, but 27.5? https://www.leelikesbikes.com/a-year-on-captain-america.html. It's an older article and seems like most the aggressive hardtails fit the bill, like the marin san quentin. Reading through the thread, seems like maybe a budget full suspension is the way to go. I've got a budget of $1500, and the used market has been shit lately. There is no real downhill or anything crazy locally either. I picked up a crappy bike last year for cheap, its been a blast. Got a Giant Talon to flip its way nicer but too small or I'd keep it and also want some more travel. What about a dirt jumper with gears? Either way I seem to be going for some between the two.

Does anyone ride a smaller than recommended frame? I bought an xl because the sizing chart stated it fits and its a boat, the small is barely too small. Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>97046
i built up a 27.5 enduro/anything hardtail with downhill wheels and a 170mm fork. I rode skatepark, mtb trials, dirtjumps, and downhill on it. At some point there is only so much fork you can add to a hardtail, I was past that. Also riding downhill on a super stiff hardtail is terrible for your back. It was great at jumping. and climbing. In creek bed type terrain it was not that good, as if you didn't see a big rock the rear wheel could buck you otb.
>>
File: apu_bicycle.png (246 KB, 448x454)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
Where's the colorado springs anon from the last thread who was trying to learn to ride a bike for the first time?

I want to learn of his fate
>>
>>97075
Sounds like a fun bike. I was considering anywhere from 110 to 130mm. It's mostly xc around here in the midwest, we don't have much for mountains. I'm still a noob, the build sounded like a good compromise, but that was 2011 and things have seemed to have changed a bit. The canyon stoic or marin san quentin both look promising but there isn't a marin dealer local and canyon is direct only. Maybe it's time to hit the local shops again to see if they finally have stock.
>>
>>97161
Just from memory, a San Quentin is quite slack (maybe 65 degree head angle) which makes it much more like a trail/Enduro HT than an XC bike which would be more like 67 degrees
>>
File: PXL_20220521_164551027.jpg (246 KB, 768x1020)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
There was an all-female group ride at the park today and 2 of them crashed trying to get out of my way on some switchbacks. I felt a little bad about it but I wasn't even bombing through and I didn't sneak up on them either, I was about 100ft behind each of them and they heard my loud hub. The trails at Camp Tamarancho are all intermediate and I could tell they were very new to mountain biking and didn't know what they were getting into. They definitely had the fitness for the climbs so I think they were roadies.
>>
Lads, I already have a 2015 gt force but a bike shop is helping someone sell a 2015 (says 2016 but couldn't find the exact model) carbon scott spark with the new xt 12 speed and everything seems in good condition. I'll see the bike monday. it's listed for 717,00 USD I'm itching to buy to have a second bike. Stupid of me?
>>
If the rear hub is good with high engagement, Maybe? But getting good cheap 2nd hand non boostvwheels to replace oem is hard atm
>>
File: 20220521_183855.jpg (3.41 MB, 4000x3000)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
I'm going to murder everyone at the Specialized HQ
>>
I want to loose weight on my bike - 29" GT Avalanche Sport currently stock
Most obvious candidate seems those suntour xct forks
current forks are 100mm travel
what do you recommend? Bike will be more xc use than downhill
>>
Ive been riding harder than ever on my new rigid mtb with basic rims, and I’ve had some harsh landings and heavy cornerings where I can drastically feel the rim flexing side to side and back into place. It doesn’t feel good and I worry about my rim, it’s already just a little wobbly now but I can feel it, taco tuesday is coming
Should I get super stiff carbon rims or use DH alloy rims
>>
1500$ for a Trek Slash 7 27.5? Serviced two years ago and barely used since then (is what he says). Dropper post and 1x mounted.

Good deal? Used to mountainbike a bit as a teenager and have since started riding dirt with my motobikeu but wanted to get further into the forest and do downhill too. Whaddya think?
>>
>>97214
What the fuck happened?
>>
>>97276
Depends on the year
>serviced two years ago
Kek
>>
File: Capture.png (1.16 MB, 1061x675)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>97279
pic rel, I think.. it's a 2017? Isn't mentioned in the article but from what i've been trying to figure out it's somewhere around there.

Seems to look pretty nice, though i don't know shit about this
>>
>>97280
Cmon lads pls answer
>>
File: almost rode it out.jpg (48 KB, 500x502)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>96772
Yes, this is probably because you need to develop proper core strength still. Doing kettlebell swings and short intervals on your bike can fix this pretty quickly. Simply riding more will also eventually solve this
>>97208
I'd go with a hardtail as the secondary bike, personally. It'll offer a different riding experience and requires less maintenance
>>97252
Depends on your budget, a better fork will likely cost about as much as your bike. If you're serious about upgrading, it would be more cost efficient to sell your current bike and get a better one
>>97265
Unless they're old single-wall steel rimes, just making sure the spokes have proper tension should fix this
>>97287
You can usually tell the model year by the colour scheme since the big brands change this each year
>>
>>97278
I over tightened it and when I tried loosening it, the metal slots that lever it supposed to fit in got bent and then just fell off because it's cheaply-made trash. I ended up having to call my friend to bring some pliers because there was no other way to get the front wheel off.
>>
>>97280
I wouldn't, I would look for newer bike. I got my 2020 range for 1800€.
>>
Lads, is it really that important to have a really modern (like post 2018 bike) geo?

Like, for an XC-racer, is the scott spark 2014 geo outdated? It all feels a bit too exaggerated
>>
>>97276
>27.5
Are you a manlet and/or enjoy jumps and tricks and stuff like that? If not, get a 29er.
>>
>>97365
173 manlet yes. 16'5" frame (17.5" virtual) felt too small though. Or the wheels. Idk. Coming from dirtbike riding i feel intuitively drawn to a mullet 27.5/29 setup
>>
>>97340
>no dropper
>external cable routing
>not 1x
>no 51-11t cassette
Its ocer for that bike
>>
>>97302
>If you're serious about upgrading, it would be more cost efficient to sell your current bike and get a better one
thanks anon - I kind of know this but I am keen to do my own upgrades so that I learn some mechanical skills and get an appreciation for the improvements the upgraded parts bring to the bike
It is more of a learning experience than a cost saving
>>
File: PXL_20220522_171507077.jpg (2.14 MB, 4080x3072)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
I sure do love not supporting local bike shops.
I'm going to take those $150 I saved by servicing my own front and rear suspension and put it into buying more titanium bolts
>>
>>97302
>I'd go with a hardtail as the secondary bike
Thanks, I'll put into consideration!

>>97379
i can easily go one by if needed and have a dropper post. it's better than new entry level bikes if it was well maintained.
>>
>>97340
Yeah. Bikes are a fashion accessory first and foremost. No real rider would be caught dead with last year's model, let alone something older than that. For me, I prefer the Hollywood style: Ride once and discard.
>>
>>97379
It’s… half internally routed? Just the shock lockout? No there’s another cable going in, no dropper so the brake? But why internally route the brake and not the derailleur?
I came to say external routing is based and internal routing sux, but this is a clusterfuck, and it goes under the BB, I can’t endorse this either
>>
>>97365
I don't think this is totally right, some people just prefer the nimbleness of 27.5, doesn't nessecarily mean they are only for jumps and tricks.
>>
>>97321
There is… it’s either a 5mm or 6mm hex Allen key in the other end of the axle. At least that’s the case with my Maxle lite - I never do it up using the lever thing
>>
>>97368
Then sure, go ahead.
>>
File: initial yoshi.jpg (676 KB, 923x1200)
676 KB
676 KB JPG
I know there are a few SF Bay Area anons here. There's gonna be an enduro race at JMP sometime in the next few weeks anyone going? I assume most of you are /pol/ posters so you may not like the crowds that will show up to race and spectate though.
>>
File: IMG_20210822_074919.jpg (496 KB, 1134x2016)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>97550
I learned about it last night. I'm going to sign up for the intermediate mens class when the registration opens up. I've become much faster on Cinderella but I'm still not at the level where I can send it through the rock garden without slowing down for the entry. I have a lot of training to do for Chaparral and I still haven't ridden down Castle Park.
I wish they had stages for Big Trees or Palos Colorados. You have to weave through trees in both of them and Big Trees has some climbing and requires the rider to really be able to carry their speed through the corners if they want to use that momentum through the climbs. Cinderella and Chaparral are hard, but they're all about line choice and being able to keep the bike under control at high speeds through chunky terrain. I like Big Trees and Palos Colorados because they give the opportunity to pull off stunts and they test the rider's ability to make really tight turns.
>>
>>97518
Nope. I threw it out so I can't take a picture but there's just a circular hole on the other side.
Complete garbage
>>
>>97555
https://jmpenduro.com/
Here is the link if any other SF Bay /xs/tremists are interested.
https://www.strava.com/segments/31769620
My PR on Cinderella is 3:32. My friend has a 3:09 and I think I can catch up to his this summer. I have a lot of room for improvement and I lose a lot of that time at the very start of the trail since it's so loose, I lose more through the rock garden since I slow down for the entry and then I hang left and try really hard to not to hit the big rock since that will fuck a rider up if they clip it with their pedal, and then I lose more through the tight switchbacks at the end of the trail because of the big roots.
>>
>>97555
I think they probably don't want to use the entire park so they won't piss off the anti-bike folks. I bet if they added Big Trees a lot of newer riders won't be interested since it's a little bit more pedaly and XC. Castle park is more like a green trail until the very end there are some log drops spaced really close together that can be tricky. You can carry a lot of speed since it's mostly smooth, steep, and loose before the drops.

>>97560
I think I'm gonna start training there during the week. My PR on Cindy is 2:58 and on Chappy its 1:59. When I've followed faster friends I see them taking lines which sketch me out and I know they're sending it in spots where I end up dragging my brakes. I know where I make mistakes but I can't get over my mental block after a bad fall I had last year on Chappy. You're losing time on all the same spots I am. I try following faster riders and watching other peoples youtube runs but I just can't seem to get it.
>>
File: PXL_20220115_192332472.jpg (651 KB, 2040x1536)
651 KB
651 KB JPG
>>97570
We might run into each other if you go Tuesdays or Thursdays after 5. I finally went back last thursday after taking a break from riding there for like a month and I felt like I was flying. I prefer to go during the week after work since there are much less hikers than there are during the weekend. I almost always run Big Trees twice, then Cinderella or Chaparral, then I'll either ride Sinawik to Bishop's Walk back to my car, or I'll climb back up for another run on Cindy/Chappy or Palos Colorados. Say hi if you see me, I can guarantee nobody is running a similar bike to mine so you don't have to worry about saying hi to some normie.
>>
>>97573
Nice another Evil. Bad pic but only one I have on my phone right now. Maybe you'll see this debadged Evil around this week. I'm gonna mess around with the HSC on my fork by doing some bracketing runs down chap and Cindy.
>>
>>97610
Very nice, I feel like I've seen that bike around. How do you like that Lyrik? I'm thinking about building up a long travel bike on 27.5" wheels to complement my Following. I'm considering basing it around the Lyrik or an equivalent since a Zeb or Fox 38 seem like overkill for a bike that doesn't live at jump parks
>>
>>97615
Your bike is def unique. Now I'm gonna be on the lookout for it. I really like the Lyrik. I upgraded from a Fox 36 FIT4 damper. I think it's a tiny bit lighter but most importantly the small bump compliance is better than my 36. It's a lot easier to dial in rebound and compression compared to my 36. On the 36 I'd fiddle with the clickers and reach a point where is one click from being okay to being unstable. I don't really understand why but the Lyrik was easier for me to get right. Like there was a larger range between each of the clickers. I think the Lyrik must be stiffer because with a 200mm rotor I could hear it rubbing when I cornered hard on my 36 probably from fork flex. I don't get that with the Lyrik. I'm a fatty though so that might not be a problem for you.
>>
>>97622
Interesting that you found the Lyrik to be stiffer than the 36 since the 36 has 1mm wider stanchions. It's possible it's due to the axle, I don't remember the exact thing but I read last night that the way the 15mm diameter axle bolts into the fork mimics the stiffness of a 20mm axle.
>>
>>97557
the hex nut thing is recessed on mine so it looks like a round hole but a 6mm will find purchase about 2-3cm in (just putting the knowledge out there as its not in the manual/sram website!). But yeah i totally agree with you. I replaced mine with a $10 ali express stealth axle pretty quickly
>>
>>97610
Don't do this when your brakes are hot, that's how you start a huge bushfire.
>>
File: 20220524_214347.jpg (2.71 MB, 3024x3024)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
Well, I got everything I need for the 200h service and charger 2.1 upgrade. And these babies >picrel

I also changed the broken hub axle. And while cleaning and degreasing, I checked the manual and I only had 12 out of 13 ball bearings.... how bad is this? Still rideable? I think that the hubaxle broke as I once did a descent and the through axle was completely loose or it was due to the missing bearing. I think its the first as the last time the hub was serviced was in feb 2021 and the hub axle broke in april this year. The missing bearing might have also weakened it as I couldn't find it at all and I think it was lost during last year's service. If I just lost it, how bad is it?
>>
How often do I need to service my shock and forks if I trail-ride 50/50 upphill/downhill while riding approximately 1 days/week during a 4-5 month period per year?

northern europe fag here so not that many usable months
>>
>>97746
Check out the website for the manufacturer of your fork and shock.
>>
>>97746
Every 50 hours to maintain small bump sensitivity. I just did it on sunday and it was easy >>97393
. I can both do the front and rear in under 30 minutes. It only took me 90 because I had breakfast and had to gather my tools and parts. The hardest part about it was putting my rear shock back in because EVILs have these two washers at the trunnion mount that like to fall out when you try to put it back together.
If you use Strava, sum up the riding time in a document and update it after every ride.
>>
>>97712
Discs have to be be red fucking hot for like 30 seconds straight AND the grass needs to be bone dry for this to even be possible, let alone happen from gentle contact.
The grass withers yeah, but it doesn’t reach flash point at 500° and instantly explode into flames, and there are zero reports of this ever happening
>>
>>97712
Dude, you posted tard!
>>
>>97746
I am riding 1-2 times a week 1-3 hours at a time. I get my suspension twice a year. I am looking to learn how to di properly this year so I can do it more frequently.

Also boys, do yourself a favour and change your linkage bearings. It does wonders for the feel of your suspension.
>>
>>97776
>>97759
I don't quite understand this amount of frequent maintenance. On motorcycles, you do this maybe twice a year with the equal amount, given that you have good components.

Do shocks and forks with oil and coil require less maintenance? I have to imagine that it is primarily the small amount of oil in the air shocks/forks that runs out which needs replacement?
>>
>>97712
Some nerd is trying to make friends on here and you go giving advice no one asked for.
>>
>>97782
The maintenance isn't as frequent as you would think. I do it once or twice a year and I ride year round. I track my rides and they come out to 1-2 hours of real riding despite it feeling like I'm out there for a much longer time. At an average of 90 minutes per ride, and riding 1 time per week, that would be 6 hours of riding every month, meaning it would take 8 months of riding like this to reach the 50 hour service interval. I built my bike in August and I got 9 months on it and that's because I didn't ride in October due to waiting on the delivery of my new car and selling my old one too early. Some weeks I won't ride, some weeks I ride multiple times.
Coil shocks do require less service but it mostly depends on the manufacturer, and the service it does require is a much bigger one. The dustier the conditions you ride in are, the more you have to service it.
You can also extend the service interval by more frequent, but lesser maintenance. I use WPL ForkBoost Fork Seal Lubricant to clean and lube my seals and dropper post after really dusty rides or every other ride when it's wet
>>
>>97783
>you go giving advice no one asked for.
That's how nerds make friends actually.
>>
I worked at a bike shop one summer and bought a 4500$ mountain bike. They said "you get it at cost from the mfg cause we're blah blah retailer"

It was 2000$. You plebs are getting cucked by bike companies.

Brand new, I assembled myself.
>>
>>97798
Yes you are correct, but I get more pay than a bike mechanic. I think the best way to do it is to work in a bike shop once a week on the weekends.
>>
>>97824
Same, bike mechanics make shit money. I'd be fine with spending a weekend slipping in 26 inch tubes and twisting barrel adjusters for casual riders to get a big discount on a bike. I'd have to find a shop that carries the sick frames, I'm not putting in all that work to get a Trek, Specialized, or Santa Cruz
>>
>>97826
I just order online. I got my Evil Calling frame direct from manufacturer and built it up myself with leftover parts from old bikes.
>>
Why are bikes so fucking big now guys. Trying to get back into mountain biking after about 7 years and 26" isn't cool anymore. wtf.
>>
>>97868
kiddie size
>>
File: mtbfd.jpg (79 KB, 716x960)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>97868
it's still cool for dirt jumpers.
>>
>>97854
Same, I only go to bike shops when I need something ASAP. All my bikes have been bought online. I got a great deal on my Following MB frame since it was a leftover so I put the money into custom carbon wheels with BERD spokes.
I'm looking into building up a long travel bike to complement it, I found a Warphen m160c frame on pinkbike and according to my research, it's a great bike and it's comparable to an EVIL Insurgent or Wreckoning on the climbs and descents.
>>
File: 20220525_143751.jpg (1.9 MB, 3024x3024)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
Kek look how nasty the seal and foam rings are. The black thing is the foam ring.
>>
>>97943
Putting new seals its hard. I couldn't do it dry, had to apply a tiny amount of grease.
>>
>>97943
I serviced my fox 34 factory fork on sunday and it was surprisingly clean. When I serviced my rockshox pike in the past, it was filthy. As far as I know, they use the same seals and I don't think kashima coating is supposed to keep it cleaner
>>
>>97955
Kashima coating is a scam, they just did the same hard anodized coating as everyone else but added a color, like with regular aluminum anodizing.
>>
>>97957
Definitely but it looks very cool. I got a great price on it since it was a take off. The PO bought a Yeti SB115 and wanted the GRIP2 damper so he just got a new fork instead of changing out the damper.
>>
>>97955
>I serviced my fox 34 factory fork on sunday and it was surprisingly clean. When I serviced my rockshox pike in the past, it was filthy
After how much time riding and last service? Last time mine was serviced was in feb 2021 and in 2021 alone I did 50km of vertical descent. I expect the skf seals to keep the fork cleaner
>>
>>97963
They were both 50 hour services. In fact, I went over it with the Fox fork. It's possible it was because I rode the Fox from August to May so the trails weren't as dusty and I rode the Rockshox through summer but we didn't get rain until December
Oddly enough, both bikes have rockshox rear shocks and they were both always clean inside. On my Evil, the rear shock picked up much more filth and was harder to clean but it was still pristine inside.
>>
File: 20220526_011900.jpg (2.19 MB, 3024x3024)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Its done, full fork service. Charger 2.1 and skf seals. Putting the lowers back was waayyyyyy harder than I thought it would be, spent like 30 mins trying nonstop.

What are good HSC/LSP/REBOUND mixtures I can try, last time I used them was on my pike 3 years ago and forgot the setup. Gonna ride tomorrow if my hand heals a bit, super degreaser destroyed my hand
>>
>>98012
High speed compression is your jump landings as well as fast hits, I like mine soft. Rebound is always going to be as fast as possible before it unsettles the bike.
>>
>>98012
>What are good HSC/LSP/REBOUND mixtures I can try, last time I used them was on my pike 3 years ago and forgot the setup. Gonna ride tomorrow if my hand heals a bit, super degreaser destroyed my hand
For rebound the fork/shock manufacturer will have guidelines depending on your weight/sag/air pressure. For LSC/HSC that's something you have to figure out on your own. We don't know your weight/bike/riding style/terrain/skill level.
>Start here:
https://youtu.be/xhnKTZu2AKs
>Then here:
https://youtu.be/ylkTWArNX04
>Then go ride using the testing method explained here:
https://youtu.be/CM0lDN80miQ
>This is nice to watch for some theory but not at all mandatory and throws in random stuff you won't need to know but the guys autism helped me understand a few things about suspension:
https://youtu.be/HTOnkLVl5gU
>>
>>97957
It's a scam but not in the way you think. The white paper on kashima does show less friction but the test methodology used dry surfaces with no oil which would never happen in a fork. Oiled hard anodized coating is likely just as good as oiled kashima.
>>
>>98104
Thanks, will look into it for further testing
>>
1900m of total descent. Love the alps, simple as. From what I got on my the charger 2.1. I ended up with.
>55-60 psi
>2 clicks HSC
>5 clicks rebound
>2 clicks LSC
Rebound was fully open and ate shit at the beginning. So played with it several times till it wasn't jumpy.
As the trails were rooty and chattery as hell, I had to increase HSC. I went directly to 2, when I went to 1 it felt chagtery again. LSC was hard to figure out. On 6 the fork felt hard and didn't seem to use the travel and on zero I kept diving.
What I didn't expect at all was my coil shock feel useless on road. Before the upgrade, when I pumped the bike, I could feel the shock moving and the fork not so much. Now I don't feel the shock, but the fork diving. So I increased LSC till I got balance when pumping the bike, where I got in a range of 4-2 clicks. The fork sit higher on deep turns, I don't need to lean back like I used to.
Over all, its really good. I didn't feel my finger go numb and start hurting on the long descents. I'm not done with rebound and LSC so I'll watch the videos before working on them again.
>>
What is everyone's opinion on people trying sell second hand bikes at inflated prices?

I am not a fan of it. So I take any chance I get to shit on people and their bike when they try to for more than it is worth.
>>
I'm new to mtb and have been out 4 times now. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how the hell you're supposed to take sharp turns? I don't know what to do so either take them very slowly while braking or just falling off. Youtube says I'm supposed to lean forward into them, but what else? I went down a few fun hills today but I can't navigate the turns to save my life so it ends up not being fun.

Also what are the advantages to using bike cleaner over regular soap and water? I bought some muc-off but what's the benefit? Also should I re-lube my chain every time I clean off my bike since I'm getting the chain wet with water?
>>
>>98165
>1
If people are paying the prices then that dictates what the market prices will be.
>2
Are you interested in buying the bike? If so then make an offer. If not then leave them be. (I understand I'm on 4chan where people will speak their mind when nobody asks or cares so this point might not matter)
>3
If someone is desperate enough to pay a stupid price for a bike then that's between them and the seller. During the bike shortage of 2020 I unloaded a bunch of bikes and made some profit.
>>
>>98165
I'm a fan of it when I'm selling my bikes. I'm not a fan of it when I'm trying to find another high end frame to build up.
Still waiting to find a medium Pole Stamina 160, EVIL Wreckoning, or EVIL Insurgent. I found a Warphen M160C frame at a great price and it's an incredible bike, but it doesn't have bottle mounts or ISCG05 mounts. I live without a bashguard and chain guide since I'll only bash the crank with poor techinique but I want that bottle mount for short afternoon rides.
>>
I track every single ride I do on strava, and have consistently since 2019. Today I forgot to bring my garmin bike computer on a bike ride; fine, I’ll use strava in my watch like I used to. My strava app won’t open until I update my watch, and my watch won’t update until I update my phone, and my phone won’t update without WiFi. I end up riding without tracking.
“This update adds the ability to use faceID with a mask on”. This. This is why I have untracked miles for the first time in actual years. I hate the world so god damn much.
>>
>>98203
you sound like a fucking faggot with your gay ass devices. no one cares.
>>
>>98208
The worst part is I can’t use the AirTag embedded in my DH buttplug so I’ll never know who’s gonna hand me my own ass on the descents next
>>
> do training ride for upcoming race
> push it really hard
> review footage
> looks really slow
well at least my time on the DH section of Cinderella at JMP improved. Strava kind of sucks for this trail because there are several different versions of it with slightly different start and end points and it's hard to tell which is the most accurate.
I clocked several PRs on this trail yesterday but also got a really slow time if we're going by the official Strava for the race stage which starts up at the road and I always take a short breather a little further ahead where it intersects with Castle Park Trail and I start from there
>>
>>98250
If you're training for JMP Enduro then use the trail segment they list on their site. If you're using a GoPro there's probably certain settings you need to change to make it look faster. When my friend does follow cams of me he will end up using the footage from our slower runs for his youtube channel if it looks faster.

>>98203
I sort of know this feel. I used to track with Strava app on a mobile device. When the phone was starting to crap out on me I had a few rides where my Strava ride wouldn't record around the time I'd get a text or call. The map would just show a straight line to my next point. One day my location services completely stopped working and I didn't record a ride. I felt so empty inside. I had to replace the phone anyways for other reasons. This is why I use a separate device solely for recording my bike rides (Garmin).
>>
the opening day at my local dh park at sugar mountain was today, it was overall wet and sloppy. I had an amazing time and talked to some peopleon the lift. It was not busy at all, but the blue trails have been left unmaintained since last year so they quickly turned more difficult, and we're harder than the black trail at the end of the day.

I also talked to women like a normal human being so that's a win.
>>
>>98264
The segment starts from the road where the bathroom is, I always start from the sign at the trailhead because I always ride 15 Second Trail before Cinderella.
I also did a ride down Chaparral and it felt like there were more big loose rocks on it than the last time I rode it.
Have you ridden the DH part of Castle Park trail? I've ridden the park dozens of times never that trail because I've heard it's not worth riding compared to Chappy and Cindy
>>
>>98300
>I also talked to women
What, are you gay or something?
>>
>>98328
no, just autistic. Not talking to people very often + autism, makes for bad social skills.
I normally get nervous when talking to women.
I talked like a normal person, and had enjoyable conversations while on the lift.
>>
>>98333
That's the magic of lifts and biking. I don't ever approach random people to make chit chat but I'm extremely social when I'm on a bike or on a ski lift. It's like I'm a pick up artist, but for making friends instead of getting pussy, I've even gotten a few phone numbers.
>>
>>98300
Why doesn't your tire have knobs in the middle?
>>
>>98359
Idk, it works very well though. It's an older continental de baron.
>>
File: PXL_20220528_210733493.jpg (923 KB, 2040x1536)
923 KB
923 KB JPG
I don't know what the hell Canadians smoked when they thought the best thing to do with mountain bikes is to ride them on rickety wooden rollercoasters but I'm glad they smoked it.
It's too bad the majority of the people at this park would rather jump than ride tech. Tech is really fun
>>
>>98432
There’s networks of skinnies high up in the air that actually look like Ewok tree villages out there, with splits and different skinny paths all well over 20ft high it’s insane
>>
File: 20220529_160144.jpg (2.92 MB, 4032x3024)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
I rode again and the front end was uncontrollable. By the end of the ride, I had increased HSC to 3 clicks. LSC to 7 and rebound to 7. Its horrible, I can't figure this shit. One reason might have been me washing out the front wheel and hitting my arm and hand pretty bad at the very start causing pain. Then washing out on gravel and falling. Then the fork is also leaking, I just put upside down but I cant see oil coming out.
I might try to increase rebound to 10 clicks from open and lower both HSC and LSC to zero and start from there. I also unscrewed the shock spring 2-3 turns to make it softer and increased 1 click of rebound. I think 5-6 should be the good rebounds points
>>
>>98502
If you're washing out then you're losing grip. If you're compression is too high then you'll lose grip. I gave some quick guidelines above with some youtube links that worked great for me. You're doing a lot of guesswork without even understanding what turning the knobs does or why you do it.
>>
>>98502
I don't think you understand what your knobs are doing and are just turning them because that's that you do when problems arise, basically what
>>98511
Said
Try whatever compression you like in high and low speed, and then back the rebound out, find a rough trail and add 1 click of rebound at a time until the front end is stable. This is going to make it so that your rebound is as fast as possible but still settles the bike for whatever springrate you are running. Idk about the charger 2.1 but some dampers have independent high, low and rebound circuits, and some don't, for the ones that don't have independent circuits. each adjustment affects everyother adjustment and are harder to setup. You want rebound as fast as possible, This means the tire spends more time on the ground and more traction because of that.

Overall, learn weather your damper has independent circuits. Also learn what each thing does and how to set it up.
>>
What do you guys do when you fall down on a $500 helmet
>>
File: Snapchat-52409777.jpg (927 KB, 1440x2560)
927 KB
927 KB JPG
>>98502
That looks like a lot of oil coming out, anon. Perhaps you overfilled the lower, or damaged the seal when putting it back together?
>>98557
>Crashed picrel on 5th ride with it
Cry
>>
>>98557
get a new $500 helmet and tell poorfags on /n/ and normie fb groups that my helmet is worth more than their bikes because I'm worth more than them
>>
>>98601
>proceeds to be p0wned by the parking lot spur trail
>>
File: 1650843960080.gif (540 KB, 350x262)
540 KB
540 KB GIF
My hubs have some Lateral play. When I tighten the two opposite bolts, the play ceases, but they don't spin freely? Lost on this one.
>>
>>98771
You might need to be more precise with the preload to find the right spot. Or perhaps your bearings are fucked.
>>
>>98771
Are your bearings smooth when rolling or do they feel gritty? It sounds like you need to get in the middle of loose and tight. Try turning the bolts less.
>>
>>98820
If they are not tight, will they not loosen over time?
>>
File: aaaahhhhh.jpg (15 KB, 400x256)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>98830
>>
I just ordered a 2022 170mm RS Zeb Ultimate because I'm going to build a new long travel bike....eventually, and they were on sale so this saved a few hundred dollars off the build.
How long can I keep this under my bed? I assume I should flip it every once in a while so the oil and grease doesn't settle on one side. My goal is to build it up over the course of a year but I'm taking it slow.
>>
File: 1653252478162.gif (812 KB, 250x250)
812 KB
812 KB GIF
>>98892
>>
JMP bro's. I'm probably riding there tomorrow from 4pm until whenever. Anyone else around? Would be cool to meet 4channers irl again as long as you're not /pol/ or /r9k/ posters. Not white so just throwing that out there in case that's a problem.
>>
File: mexicanwojak02.png (629 KB, 1182x730)
629 KB
629 KB PNG
>>98948
Orange EVIL homie here. I'll probably be there shortly after 5 if my friend decides to come, if he doesn't, then I'll be there before 5 at the ranger station. Before the uptick in robberies, I would park at the fire station so I could finish with the flow trail, but now I'm back at the ranger station.
Also not white.
>>
File: jmpenduro.png (20 KB, 1204x366)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Fuck, registrations just opened up today and I was too slow. Well, I'll still train for it in case someone is looking to transfer their ownership later and I still really enjoy riding here. I like other parks based on how similar they are to JMP
>>
>>98972
Oh damn I slept on this. I didn't think it would fill up so fast.
>>
File: jmpdrip.jpg (302 KB, 969x1286)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
I'll be wearing my loudest drip at JMP today so I'll be easier to spot. I should be wearing pants and long sleeves since Chaparral is overgrown but that outfit is all black
>>
>>98502
Have tried adjusting the stem height? A lot of bikes come with stem super high pushing your weight back unweighting the front wheel.
>>
JMP was fun today but I didn't see black EVIL bro. I finally crash tested my POC VPD 2.0 knee and elbow pads and I didn't feel a thing. I highly recommend them
>>
>>99173
Yo I had to stay closer to home today. Didn't finish work as early as expected mainly because I woke up later than I was supposed to. Rode some Briones instead. Where'd you crash at?
>>
>>99176
I went down on Chaparral on the easier part before you have to pass through the downed tree.

I've heard Briones has the best riding in east bay but it's all on secret, unsanctioned trails. Is this true?
>>
>>95377
Whenever I am on a hiking/mtb trail and I hear or see some guys in the distance I always make sure I get into a safe area off the trail so they can pass and not have to slow down too much so they can enjoy their ride
>>
File: Niggercapdog.jpg (61 KB, 500x500)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>98511
>>98541
Finally took the time to properly set up suspension yesterday. It feels way better. Took it for some rocky terrain and felt smooth and bubbly. I'll take it to the long steep rocky gnar to see how it feels. I feel like a wigger not doing it and just monkeying around with trial and error. Will do HSC if I feel bottoming out.
>>
File: 20220603_180723.jpg (2.24 MB, 4032x3024)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>98558
Might be. If it leaks again I'll ask to return them, didn't leak yesterday
>>99137
Its quite high as I tend to ride steep stuff, if the charger 2.1 rides higher than I expect I might lower it. Might be but never had problems with that turn
>>
>>99208
>I went down on Chaparral on the easier part before you have to pass through the downed tree.
It's usually the easy stuff that gets a rider. Good you actually wear safety gear. I seen some weird shit from pandemic riders. Full face helmet but no pads and full armor but no helmet (because helmets are for goobers or something).
>I've heard Briones has the best riding in east bay but it's all on secret, unsanctioned trails. Is this true?
Yeah. If you've ever ridden the good stuff at P-Ridge then it's similar to that except with steep climbs and lots of cowshit. Steep, loose, chunky, natural, fun.

>>99219
Good. Hopefully the resources I posted above helped. It took me forever to understand wtf the clicky knobs all do. It's pretty fun messing with volume spacers too.

>>99220
Your on the right track. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with your stack height for the reasons you mentioned and you seem to know your shit if you're bothering with upgrading dampers.
>>
>>95377
omg hay guyths. can a gravel bike like totally handle blue trails omg?
>>
>>99305
You can ride any safety bicycle on any trails if you are good enough a rider.

I'd be quite interested to watch someone ride something that's not a safety bicycle on a grade 4 or 5 trail.

Any mountain unicyclists out there? Or downhill pennyfathers?
>>
>>99305
I've done it. It depends on why the trail is a blue, and it depends on how your bike is set up. Steep, loose, and rocky is not advised, steep and a little rocky with switchbacks and jumps is fine if you have the skills. When I ride down a trail like that on my mountain bike, I think "that was fun", when I go down on the gravel bike, I think "I'm really thankful to still be alive"
Greens can sometimes feel like blacks, blues can feel like double blacks
>>
Anons, the forest service did work on a trail and didn't ruin the trail. My jimmies are left unrustled.
Pic related.
>>
>>99305
Yeah just keep your traction in check and have the prerequisite skillset (good enough to actually need a non-ideal bike to be entertained) and it’s no problem
>>
File: IMG_20220604_171839.jpg (838 KB, 1824x1368)
838 KB
838 KB JPG
I bought the norco fluid HT1 in november and have been slowly upgrading it since. Last week I found a guy selling a 2020 pike select plus in mint condition for 300 euros and bought it and he helped me put it on my bike. I had dillemas about the ATC because the original fork was 120mm and this pike is 150mm, the bike can take a 140 without the problem but the 150mm pike had a 560mm ATC while norco recommends maximum 550.
He assured me it was okay and 10mm over is always okay as he has a shiton experience with bikes and also a guy that I know said the same. The bike feels amazing and the geo is definitely improved, I bombed through the trails I usually ride slowly. How probable is it that it will fuck up my frame over time? Should I buy a 140mm airspring?
Pic related
>>
What's a good height for pedals? I just adjusted them from 3.5-4mm to 5mm. Front and rear pins. I haven't ridden them yet but might take them to 6mm. Can you feel 1mm difference in the grip?
>>
>>99676
Are you feet slipping? The longer the pins are the stronger the pressure points you'll have on your feet. If you're not sliding off your pedals at a lower height, I wouldn't change them. I had a pair of shimano flats that had low pins, but I had no problem keeping them planted even in mud.
>>
>>99698
>Are you feet slipping?
Yes, I tried to lower rebound but the bike felt shit and still lost grip when going fast over chunk. I was thinking of upgrading from the freeriders to the impacts as I wanted more grip and the sole on my freeriders have become quite soft, it still has rubber but I can feel my feet arching.
>>
>>99708
Just replace your freeriders, sounds like they are worn out and fucked. Or just buy the different ones you want, idk. Sounds more like a worn out shoe issue than it does a pin issue.
>>
>>99708
I agree with >>99735 This anon
pedal slipping is not really a bike setup problem and more of a shoe/pedal/technique problem.
I am assuming that you are already running a non chinkshit pedal since you went and bought a $100 pair of shoes already. It's either the shoe or your technique. The only kind of bike you can't ride without your feet falling off with decent pedal+shoes are hardtails.

Also if you are having this much trouble with flats why not try clips?
I would stay away from ht, I have a pair of their Enduro clipless pedals and the bearings are absolute shit. You can wear them out within a month. The only thing they have over Shimano is selling an 8° release cleat and having a way higher release force.
>>
>>99708
What pedals are you using?
>>
File: 20220607_034926.jpg (3.69 MB, 4032x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>99748
>>99747
>>99735
I'm running stamp 2s. This is just my thumb applying force. It just folds without alot of force kek. This is just the arching problem.
The tread is still good. Might be technique but the slipping is recent like 3-4 months. I hit some uncontrolable shit and my feet slip ending in an awkward position I don't like and need to set it up again.
I've thought about clipless but the ability to bail or put a foot out have saved me from seriously injuring myself. I don't think its worth it.
>>
>>99774
You could try MagPeds. My friend runs them on his Revel Ranger and he highly recommends them. If it weren't for all my pedals and shoes still being good, I would get two pair of them to run on my mtb and gravel bike
>>
File: clipless jump.jpg (1.5 MB, 1920x1279)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>99527
You'll very likely be fine only going 10mm over the manufacturer's suggestion. I would only be concerned if you plan on thrashing it on big features at the bike park on a regular basis
>>99774
Why not take this as an opportunity to at least try clipless? I used to be all about the flats, but have really been enjoying my clipless setup. I've ridden the clipless setup for a few years now, and have yet to have any injuries due to the clipless pedals. I'd even go as far as to say I've been less likely to crash while riding clipless because of the extra control the setup allows for
>>
File: 1592788578451.jpg (712 KB, 2730x2048)
712 KB
712 KB JPG
Just for shits and giggles I mulleted my Enduro bike, borrowing the front end off my ebike that's apart waiting for a new headset from the UK. I think this should make the head angle around 64.5 degrees?

I have an event this weekend (2W), I think I'm gonna ride it like this and see how it goes.
>>
>>99774
Those soles are worn out, dude. I run stamp7 pedals and have no grip problems. Get new shoes.
>>
>>99905
Anon does not need new shoes, my Freeriders look the same and still haven't lost their grip. I run the knockoff Chester's.
>>
>>100030
>dry rotting cracked rubber soles
>just like new
News flash, they were borderline shit to begin with. If using these makes you feel better, then by all means use them. The best shoes I've found for mtb are usually trail running or low top hiking shoes (not boots). You may as well switch to clipless if you want to spend money on dedicated bike only shoes.
>>
>>100030
But do they flex alot like mine do?
>>
>>100073
They do, the sole is very flexible while the outside edges are much more stiff. I have only had problems when I forgot I was riding flats instead of clips.
>>
>>100099
Your shoes are fucked too
>>
>>100054
Thanks Anon who has obviously never rode in a pair of MTB flat shoes with decent flat pedals
>>
I used to think all I needed were my trail running shoes for MTB, then I took a chance on FiveTen TrailCross LT shoes and now I can't go back to non-specialty shoes ever again.
>>
>>100140
I got the goretex trailcrosses and they’re pretty alright. For the last 3 years I’ve been using fiveten freerider contacts (the ones with a big bald spot where the pedal goes) and I fucking love them but they’re discontinued and I’m ripping away the last shreds of rubber. The goretex trailcrosses feel thick underfoot (makes sense as they have tread instead of flat rubber) and the XT trailcross’es uppers feel like hard plastic and I can’t try any other versions of trailcrosses

Thinking of just getting whatever rideconcepts shoes is most popular, I don’t need hip style, quick-drying or walkability
>>
>>100142
Yeah, my next flat pedal shoe is going to prioritize quick drying as waiting for my 5 10s to sun dry for 3 days gets old. Also are you the shoehorn anon with the purple contacts tied with cute bows?
>>
>>100140
No trademark or copyright symbols? I ask again, why not go full clipless if you need your special boy shoes to ride flat pedals?
>>
>>100142
>I don’t need hip style, quick-drying or walkability
clipless is for you
>>
>>100187
I ride with shimano xt clipless pedals on my gravel bike and it works there but I won't do it with MTB because my feet come off the pedals a lot more and I can't pivot my feet as much as I can with platforms. In fact, the amount I pivot my feet around on clipless pedals is just past the point where they would clip out. Clipless would be nice for long fire road climbs but I don't want it for switchback descents. My feet never bounce off my platform pedals either.
Also, I'm not the original guy who posted about his crusty shoes slipping off his pedals. When I wear through my fivetens and platforms, I might try out MagPeds and stick them on my gravel bike too.
>>
>>100193
>my gravel bike
This explains a lot
>>
>>100198
I have been hitting more technical descents with the gravel bike and the clipless pedals do add a level of sketchiness that makes it more exciting. It's not so much descending that keeps me off clipless, it's the climbing up technical terrain since that is where I tend to fall off and have to quickly put a foot down.
>>
>>100140
I got an used specialzied shoes and it seems quite grip but it's all battered down and a chinese flat one that it not as grip as the old specialized and comparing to running shoes they are quite better.

it's quite sad that in my country good shoes are so expensive.

that being said, I'd itching to spend and buy the Rime Flat Mountain Bike Shoe as I actually have access to it.
>>
>>100374
Esl detected, also I feel the pain, MTB must be horribly expensive where the currency is not very strong, and the earning potential is low.
>>
File: 1653147075036.jpg (1.21 MB, 4096x2731)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
Decided to test tokens instead of messing with pressure, HSC, LSC. Initially I had 70psi, HSC and LSC open and 4 clicks of rebound. The fork felt good with it but it wasn't as supple as I would like but rode high and took hit well. It was good. Put 1 token and dropped to 45-50 psi. Was incredible but dove a bit, so I added 2 LSC. It dived but not so much but I lost the suppleness I gained. So I increased pressure to 58-60psi and left LSC open. This is it, this is God's intended fork set up. It rode high and was very soft, the bike felt poppy and bouncy. I took by accident really shit lines and it just ate it up without issue at all. I'll take it to the 1600m descent to see how it holds up. If I lowered the pressure from 70 psi before I would bottom the fork wuite alot and would not br able to do the questionable drops on the trail.
>>99905
>>100030
Increasing the pins height to 5mm from 3.5-4mm made a difference, the shoes still has grip. The bouncing and the occasional slide stopped. But I still got the flex of the sole. I think the increase in pins will destroy the sole so after that I'll go to the impacts. I'll try 6mm for ultimate grip, shin and sole destroying
>>
>>100435
Jesus how light are you to be running a fork at 70psi are you a midget or something?
>>
File: 1642133727326.webm (2.4 MB, 720x1280)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB WEBM
>>95377
>Post pics of your rides
i love my nukeproof scout. Everything is possible with this bike.
Best purchase i made in years
>>
File: 1624868781068.png (460 KB, 630x630)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
>>100587
120-130lbs
>>
File: 20220612_151914.jpg (360 KB, 1018x1624)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>100587
>70 psi
>how light are you?
How much of a hambeast are you?
>>
>>100587
Wtf, I am running 55 psi in my fork. 70 psi is like 12%-15% sag and I weigh 165
>>
>>100587
It depends on the fork, nutjob. Some older forks run in the 40 - 60 psi range. The more recent forks run in the hundreds of psi, which is why you need a dedicated shock pump to adjust them.
>>
>>95377
Why don't you guys skateboard?
>>
Is there a reason behind mountain bike bars not having as much back sweep and lower rises compared to dirt bike and motorcycle bars? Or is it just what's trendy right now?
>>
First big boy crash today (ER)
Feeling pretty sore and shaken up ngl
Be safe bros
>>
>>100629
Sick anon, that you in webm?
t. Reactor
>>
>>100693
I figure it's because it'll be harder to control on the downhill. I'm not standing up and flicking my weight around on a motorcycle like I am on a mountain bike. Everything including XC is going downhill.
>>
>>100680
Why don't you telemark?
>>
>>100728
Now you have scars to tell about. Did you get a concussion, scrapes/lacerations or both? How was it? Today I did a 2 drops into 2 sketchy landing with boulders. I decided to use a halfshell as it was hot and I got reminded why I always use a full face on that trail. I lamented it while I was bouncing all over the place with my foot out and handlebar going all over the place. I need to do pushups
>>
>>100728
Anything broken or seriously messed up? When will you be able to ride again?
>>
>>97212
I can't imagine being this retarded, I pity you.
>>
>>100693
Handlebar rise is just another way to adjust stem height (and dual crown forks have direct-mount stems that can’t be easily adjusted)
Sweep is idk, lots of tradition-based stupidity mixed with hipster-based stupidity, but sweep needs change with geometry and riding position, id guess it has something to do with seated laid back riding vs standing leaned forwards riding. Also the riding dynamics are a lot different to begin with as a motorcycle is several times the weight of the rider and a bicycle is 30lbs
>>
I got Monday off for Juneteenth so I'm taking Friday off too. If I wake up feeling like I want to make the drive, I think I'll go to Demo to ride Braille
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLA5tvKK_U
Before my fellow chunk appreciator chimes in to say this trail looks boring because it's too smooth and flowy, the good chunk at this park is on Ridge Trail which I will be riding before riding this
>>
>>100815
I overlooked the weight thing, takes less force to move something lighter. You wouldn't want beach cruiser bars, but I'm not sure additional sweep would be detrimental, bicycles still counter steer. Maybe too twitchy? All the mtb bars seemed rather straight compared to what I'm used to.
>>
>>100925
theyre straight so your weight stays forward which is extremely important for keeping both wheels weighted evenly, more weight on the back means less grip on the front which means more washouts and less steering capability.
>>
>>100931
>he doesn't use ape hangers on his mtb
It's like you don't even care.
>>
>>100925
I mean drop bars are pretty popular on bicycles too and they’re 90° sweep. That could be fashion, but there are high-sweep comfort bars or alt-bars also meant for mtb
>>
>>100653
You are tard. I have a Luric Ultimate that recommends ~80psi for my 90kg girth. Granted it isn't one of the new ones announced the other week, but still one of the newest and most advanced forks onthe market.
>>
>>101109
>imagine writing this
Smoke less weed, you fucking burnout.
>>
>>101109
What travel? Weird I weight the same as you but I run 105psi in mine.

>>100629
Sweet jump trail and sweet whips.
>>
>>101179
I'm literally the opposite of a burn out. I'm a strategy analyst for the biggest bank in my country 4 steps below the ceo.

>>101182
150mm. The pressure was recommended by Norco's Ride Align app.
>>
>>101219
>strategy analyst
So you have no actual decision making power or personal influence in the company
>the biggest bank
Like how delivering Amazon packages means you regularly hang out with Jeff bezos
>in my country
Lmfao
>4 steps below the CEO
Holy shit lmfao
The worst part is you’re proud of where you are right now
>>
>>101219
Oh mine is also 150mm. I used the Rockshox app for mine. I think it suggested 100 psi but I found 105 worked best for me. I like seeing people's setups and what makes them different especially if we are on the same or similar equipment.

>>101222
A lot of weird cope and projection in this post.
>>
>>101227
I also run a DSD runt in my lyric, so that 80 becomes 70 in the low chamber and 165 in the high chamber.

>>101222
Get proven wrong and still tards. What do you do to support your addiction to MTBing? And no, working in a bike shop to get pro-deals doesn't count.
>>
File: cringe.jpg (5 KB, 90x103)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>101241
>Get proven wrong and still tards.
>4 steps below
>>
>>101241
>I also run a DSD runt in my lyric, so that 80 becomes 70 in the low chamber and 165 in the high chamber.
Interesting. How do you like it? I'm assuming this is so you can have comfy small bump with a supportive end stroke?

>Get proven wrong and still tards. What do you do to support your addiction to MTBing? And no, working in a bike shop to get pro-deals doesn't count.
Nigga probably has a BSO and coping. Don't bother replying to trolls anymore.
>>
>>101255
I like it a lot. The small bump sensitivity (I run like 30% sag) and mid stroke support support is amazing. Well worth the investment. The only issue is that it might remove the "poppy" you might want out of a fork. I have just moved from a bike with a coil shock, where it felt balanced, to a bike with an air shock and it feels like the rear shock is super "poppy". I might not have dialed in the suspension yet since I have only rode the bike three times.

I enjoy engaging with trolls DESU.
>>
>>101255
>>101241
Fuck off I flipped McDonald’s burgers for my multiple $4000 bikes fair and square
>>
>>101285
What a pleb. I just asked the importer to give me a pro-deal on the bike. Fuck paying the 40% mark up.
>>
File: 1654999431403.jpg (246 KB, 1280x960)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>101219
>I'm literally the opposite of a burn out. I'm a strategy analyst for the biggest bank in my country 4 steps below the ceo.
How far do you think it will go down? I got liquidated in april's dump. Prices for the costumer will continue to rise as producers still need to pass on the inflation of its costs. Do you think the fed has control?
>>
Exchange above checks out, didn't realise quite what an expensive and elitist sport it can be before starting out. Regularly meet C-level and other high tier white collar fags at the local trails. Feels good being amongst my fellow elites.
>>
>>101299
Not American, but people have a healthy degree of concern. Yeah people will lose houses and have to tighten their belts, but it isn't GFC levels of fucked. But it is part of the transition into a post COVID economy. The central banks were too slow on moving the interest rate and are now playing catch up.

Shit will only get out of hand if the Ukraine-Russia war kicks up a gear and/or food and energy shortages are worst than expected.

>>101307
I suspect that is because all the c-levels and elites discovered MTBing and realised it was so much better than fighting with cars on the road.
>>
>>101290
>buying complete bikes
This is why you’re poor
>>
>>101219
Burnouts exist in the corporate world too you know. Nobody gives a fuck about what you do, there is zero honor in employment and you’re a retard if your job (the prestige of the job even, not the money) is the main source of pride in your life. All that matters is time, and money and I’m assuming you have one of those jobs where it needs all of your free time and doesn’t pay you enough to buy more free time
>>
File: partslist.jpg (222 KB, 1190x684)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>101307
Mountain biking has actually been a great professional networking tool for me. So me being a bike geek, I saw a guy with a Revel Ranger and I asked him about it because I've never seen one in the wild and they're so cool. We got to talking about bikes and other parks in the region, I ran into him again at the same park since we're frequent riders there, we became riding buddies and ride frequently or try to ride frequently. Last year he invites me over to his 4th of July BBQ and I meet his friends and he and them are all high level employees at the tech companies and research labs here in SF Bay.
I usually encounter other riders at the parks who are also in healthcare but I don't bug them to talk shop since I don't give a shit about my job when I'm off the clock, in fact, I forget I even have one when I'm not on the clock.

>>101331
Not that guy but complete bikes are a better deal since SRAM and Shimano bundle their groupsets together at a hefty discount. Having said that, I already built one bike from the frame up and I'm building up another because I prefer to get the build right the first time. I don't want to go through the effort of selling off alloy wheels because I replaced them with carbon wheels, and I don't want to sell off the old brakes and cockpit because I replaced them with better brakes and a cockpit that pits me better.
Actually, building one up really is cheaper if you go through all that with a new pre-built. Buying carbon wheels, new brakes, and getting a new cockpit would be another $2.5k-$3k and selling off the old ones would get you like $500 at best.
>>
>>95506
Love my Fixture (I'm on number two rn). First one saved my life.
>>
File: dragon 2.jpg (443 KB, 2000x1500)
443 KB
443 KB JPG
>>100435
>picrel
?
>>
>>101179
i'm a burnout
no idea what i need to do, too young for this as well. gib advice
>>
File: 1653147139520.jpg (951 KB, 4096x2731)
951 KB
951 KB JPG
>>101426
>>
>>101442
www.na.org
>>
File: virgin vs chad.png (448 KB, 1600x1101)
448 KB
448 KB PNG
>>101511
>>
File: 1647344994735.jpg (245 KB, 1070x713)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>101307
>>101310
>>101336
>>101341

Sorry for ruining your /biz/ chat guys but I'm going to drop some MTB content in here because some of us actually go riding to get away from work.

There's my (fag from above) mulleted mondraker dune in an absolute mudfest Enduro last weekend. Bike took it so well, I'm looking for a 29er fork and wheel to go on the bike full time, as the one on it in the pic is borrowed off my ebike
>>
File: 1655516411787.jpg (86 KB, 433x427)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>101590
>no googles
You'll really regret it when it happens
>>
>>101590
I don't ride to get away from work, I ride because I'm not at work.
I ride to get away from my dogs

Mondrakers are so cool because they're so rare here but the value is terrible, and I'm saying this as someone with an EVIL which is also terrible value
>>
File: 1602638151077.jpg (1.14 MB, 2730x2048)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>101635
Yeah they are a bit like that here too, I got this one second hand about 6 months ago because I wanted a bugger travel bike but it's actually super light and climbs well too so it's basically become my everything bike. It'll be going back to 27.5 on the front as soon as my angle headset shows up for my ebike, hopefully this week. The rhythm fork and H1900 wheel are noticably heavier than what was on it before.

Today's ride was in the rain again, fucking miserable weather but was great to get out - I think this was the only time it stopped raining all day.
>>
https://youtu.be/m3aNQadlAyg
Holy fuck, keeping that pace for 13 min
>>
>>101708
Hawaii? Seen a few anons from Bay area. Where do the rest of you lads live?
>England
>>
First part is bike park. Steep, rocky, loose, broken rock trails, wooden features. Fell on the first 2 descents. First went over a berm and second OTB as front wheel got stuck in a tree. Final part is the loamy rooty steep trails I love so fucking much.
4800m of descent, my fingers are kill
>>
>>101719
French alps
>>
>>101719
Asheville area, North Carolina. Lots of good riding in every direction.
>>
>>101719
New Zealand, that pic is looking down on wellington harbor.
>>
>>101598
I've been riding over ten years with no goggles, so I'm thinking whatever you are talking about is pretty unlikely in the parks I frequent.
>>
>>102031
Not that anon, but mud means the goggles are staying on. when the mud turns soupy I can't see through my googles because of the mud on them at the end of every run. With goggles I think I would have large amounts.of dirt on my eye. Also since you are a Californian I would think you get sprayed with horse shit on the regular.
>>
>>102074
It's never been a problem, normally I just blink the mud out of my eyes.

I have had problems with dust in summer, but I just leave more time between the rider ahead of me and myself and it's a non-issue.
>>
My front tire, SLIPPED, OUT of the top of the MIDDLE of a berm today. How do I approach a problem like this? I’m at the limits of my traction and the berm just isn’t big enough, is this a situation of just buying talent (tires?) if I want to keep or increase my speed?
>>
>>102405
What tyres are you running at the moment, and what bike?
>>
>>102413
Maxxis DHR 2.4” regular EXO, idk the rubber mix, they came stock on my YT Capra in mid 2019 (yeah DHR front and back) and I use this bike 90% at DH parks. The rear tire had minor wobble (significant wobble after today), I actually decided an hour ago im gonna buy a new front tire and put the fresher front DHR on the back. I was thinking of trying the new revised EXO+ casing (instead of literally EXO+puncture layer, it’s a thicker TPI with small butyl sidewall stiffeners) since I love the sidewall support of my doubledowns but know they’re kinda overbuilt and slow/heavy, maybe an EXO+ assegai, or I could try a Michelin tire, DH34 or something, a magic mary? I never tried schwalbe
>>
>>102405
Put more weight on your front end; this sounds like a technique problem not an equipment problem.
>>
>>102464
What this anon said you need more weight on the front wheel,

you can either get better technique. Or you can a longer stem/lower your stem.
>>
Fellas, I caught covid. I'll have to give up mountain biking for a few weeks since climbing over obstacles makes my heart rate spike. It's going to be painful cruising around like a boomer during the recovery but better safe than sorry. I don't want to fuck my heart up and end up having to ride an ebike like a fat boomer or a chinaman
>>
>>102415
Don't bother with the magic Mary they are shit my ebike came with them and I ditched them after 2 rides for an assegai and a dissector.

Apparently they are good in mud? Idk they didn't hook up well for me
>>
>>102405
lean bike over more underneath you, more weight forward.

that being said if its a tiny berm you might just have to take it slower, also probbaly a minor note but the tread pattern on a rear tyre is designed for grip while braking, not necessarily while cornering on a front wheel.
I recently swapped from a DHF 2.5 to an Assegai 2.5 and its noticeably better, not much but it is noticeable.
>>
>>101708
ha I recognise that bike, kudos for getting up makara in the rain,
I started riding when I moved to welly 2.5 years ago, while Im perfectly happy riding on sloppy ground Im yet to take myself up there while its actively dropping wet from the sky and I could just go the next day.

except pre-arranged shuttle trips to nelson and rotorua where it pissed buckets for days at a time and we had no choice lol, rotorua dirt is still amazing in the wet though.
>>
File: 20220624_013227.jpg (3.14 MB, 4032x3024)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
>>102415
>>102405

You need big sideknobs
>maxxis
The assguy is the only tire I would run from them(only in gravel hardpack dry places).
Use michelin Dh22. You can't go back, way better than the assguy. It has more grip and clears mud-loam-clay where the assguy would have a clump of shit. You can lean without loosing grip due to the big side knobs.
You can literaly hear the rubber sticked on my floor when I move the tire.
Its has dh casing so really good protection, and this slash I've had it for 6 months now and theres no leaking
This is the UBER tire
>1 yr riding and more -D than you can dream of on the DH22 on the front
>>
>>102610
If Maxxis is so bad then why do so many pros who ride for other tire companies use blacked out Maxxis tires for racing?
>>
>>102660
Cause they are sponsored and they are not bad tires. They are the defacto tire, you can't go wrong and they have a bigger variety.
DH22>>>>>>ASSGUY. I haven't tried the wild enduro yet but from what I've been told, wild enduro > dhf+dhr2, just look at the side knobs, you get transition knobs. The knobs on the wild enduro are soft if you push them inwards but somewhat stiff if pushed outwards, so they dig.
Also, most in this general ride in SoCal, which is dry, sandy, rocky. You wont notice a big difference. They run aggressors there, which will roll fast and give grip without giving drag. Take the agressor to a humid loamy place and it'll be useless. The assguy will fare good, but to clear the mud you'll need to ride faster compared to the dh22. Dh22 still has better grip.
>>
>>102610
Eh so far not so good for mitchy. I've ran the DH mud in the wet for a while. All the knobs have been undercut and are coming away and it's the first dh tyre that I've warped the casing on the front.

>>102660
My theory on this is: most of the people who claim that most of the maxxis lot are shit don't lean enough or ride hard enough to get the side knobs engaged. So they complain cause they get to the floaty bit and take that as loosing grip when they still have more to give.

>>102660
innit

>>102671
They're talking about sponsored riders who forgo their own sponsored team tyres and run blacked out (no logo) maxxis tyres.

>transition knobs
grim, never get on with those, seem to be less predictable and have less grip compared to something with a nice cornering knob channel for them to engage.
>>
>>102671
I ride sandy hardpack desert too but the aggressor on my other bike doesn’t really grip like I’d want my DH-ish bike to. DH22 is the more loose version of the DH34 right? I was thinking the DH34 bikepark but that doesn’t seem exceptional, maybe an actual full DH34? Or hell if it’s front tire only maybe I’ll try the most aggressive thing out there
>>102690
I really want to experiment a lot more with tires but maxxis has a lot of options and a fairly clear hierarchy of how they work. If you’re trying to compares schwalbe supersoft to maxxis maxxgrip, or different casings across brands, it’s hard to find “just a little stiffer/softer than what I have” without just sticking within the same brand
>>
I like my Maxxis tires, I only ordered Vittoria Mazza and Martello just to try something new. I really wanted to try out Vittoria Syerra but some of the trails I ride are really loose and those tires won't hook
>>
File: 20220624_190243.jpg (2.5 MB, 2419x3225)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>102699
Yes, Dh22 is for loose shit and loam. Dh34 is for dry and hard terrain. I was thinking of running a dh 34 bike park as my rear tire wears quickly and its a harder compound. Dh34 race line has the softer compound and more expensive
>>102690
You should've used the dh22
>3 hours ago
Riding a couple of hours after rain, it's always clear of mud, the big betty on my back was clogged. I could confidently switch lines easily on diagonal roots without issue, the problem was the rear sliding on them and slowing me down. In defense of the big betty, the middle knobs are quite worn, the frontal part of them are rising mounds
>transition knobs fud
It may be. The dh22 transition knobs are in every 3 side knobs and the side knobs have quite alot of room between them. They help, they don't create the floaty sensation that you would get with an assguy that are put every 2 side knobs and those sideknobs have a small amount of room between them. Having run the assguy, I can tell you there's a difference when doing an upgrade to the dh22
>>
>>102562
Outside of sloppy mud the assegai and dissector have endless grip.

>>102699
Do the same

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.