[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 1590743955884.jpg (19 KB, 478x471)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
maybe it's too niche and people tend to filter into karate or hema depending on their preferences
i think big stick fencing is cool
why don't you like it
>>
>>95245

Young white men should never wear hakama. Its out of balance with the universe. I'll weeb with the best of them, but my father's father was on Guadalcanal. Start a kendo school where you wear ten gallon stetsons and I'll think about.
>>
>>95245
I think the rigid top down structure turns of many younger people. The sport is extremely hard to follow, to the point where kendoka argue over the finer points, you pretty much have to live and train in Japan to reach the top, with only Korea coming anywhere close in terms of competitors,
and it no longer makes any claim of being "real" swordsmanship, which is a turn off for some.
>>
>>95245
Honestly, too fucking expensive. All fencing is prohibitively expensive for such an obscure art with extremely limited modern day practicality. This is why eskrima is so much more popular because at least their techniques are still applicable to modern day and its WAY cheaper to practice.
>>
>>95316
i paid $200 for starter gear and own a gun for self defense
>>
>>95245
It's a niche martial art.
It's rigorously traditional in the way it teaches.
The gear is expensive ($500 for a good set of armor), but it's a one time payment. That turns people off. (But people are willing to pay $100+ a month for Karate, BJJ, etc).
Starting you, you won't be in armor for at least 3-6 months as you learn fundamentals that aren't flashy.
It's still very much Japanese, for better and worse.
Competition is difficult to watch if you don't practice Kendo, since there can be a lot of exchanges and none of them meet yukodatotsu (valid strike).
It's not "real" swordfighting, but it comes very close to the dynamic of a swordfight. This nuance turns people off to HEMA where they will fulfill their sword fighter fantasies and quit 3 months in.
Kendo has the most shouting (kiai) out of all of the martial arts. For westerners this is uncomfortable to break into.

t. practicing 5+ years but still enjoy it
>>
>>95245
>i think big stick fencing is cool
SCA has a lower barrier of entry, is more interesting, and you can choose to not weeb out if you don't want to.
>>
>>95546
>It's still very much Japanese, for better and worse.
More than that, it was designed for nationalistic reasons. The whole point is to make the student "more Japanese", with a very particular definition of what it means to be "Japanese". That's hard for foreigners and weebs alike.
>>
It requires a huge upfront investment and very specialized equipment and no public following outside of japan and people already involved in the sport.

Plus it's been superseded by HEMA in the west.
>>
>>95547
SCA isn't martial arts, it's larp.
It isn't for fighters, it's for actors and reinactors.
>>
>>98095
>huge upfront investment
It ain't upfront at all.
If you're outside Japan, you're not getting into bogu in the first six months or so.
If you are in Japan, there's gonna be spare bogu floating around.
I train in a complete backwater and we have bogu to lend out.
>>
>>98111
So you just train in street cloths?
You aren't expected to buy at the very least the uniform (Keikogi and Hakama) which is already the most expensive standard martial arts uniform, with the expectation of getting your own Shinai and Kote relatively early as well?
>>
>>98159
i mean yeah my dojo lets people go in street clothes till they're ready to commit, then you can get a starter uniform, shinai, bokken, and carrying bag for $175
>>
Everyone in this thread has already made great points but I think the most important ones are
>time
It's months before you even get to hold the stick
>money
Dojo dues and buying your own bogu
>Relentlessly traditional
I wager a lot of prospective kendoists are probably simply turned off by the fact that only turbonerds do it and they dont care to hang out with them twice a week
>>
>>98195
>It's months before you even get to hold the stick
I know you're probably exaggerating, but that isn't true. For the first few months you are drilled in fundamentals which involves stance, footwork, striking, body coordination, etc.
>>98159
Beginners train in street clothes until they're given the go-ahead to get their uniform at my dojo. Typically it's when the footwork is consistent and accurate is when they are allowed to get the uniform.
>>98195
I'd argue the turbonerds went over to HEMA because it's more "booky" and less rigorous training. The majority of weebs tend to flake out after a month or so after they realize it's not as glamorous as the sword fights in movies/anime.
>>
>>98200
>The majority of weebs tend to flake out after a month or so after they realize it's not as glamorous as the sword fights in movies/anime.
Hema fag here, that’s true here too. Despite all the shit talking here if you’re going to stand in a proper en gaurde position and repeatedly swing a full weighted sword over your head it’s going to take some level of fitness. I’d say we only ever retain like 5% of people after an intro class. This was true when I was a sport fencer too, and is also the case, albeit to a lesser extent, in my judo club as well.
>>
>>98200
>>98202
good
only turbonerds who commit to training are permissable
>>98195
>It's months before you even get to hold the stick
it's months before you get to get HIT with a stick (because you'll be in armor then)
you hold stick and hit people with stick on day 1
>>
>>98159
Gi and hakama make it more difficult to observe beginners' footwork, especially if they're not wearing it right. We only allow people into uniform once they reach a certain standard; the cost is not "upfront". Kote come after that, even further down the line.
First thing a beginner buys is their shinai, it's the cheapest thing in kendo, amd even then they'll have been borrowing a club one for weeks beforehand.
>>
>>95245
it's too weeb. would permanently give every girl the ick
>>
>>95283
basado de partmento
>>
Imagine preferring kendo to kenjutsu, jujutsu, or iaido. Sorry but ill stick to practicing what the samurai actually did.
>>
>>98459
When I've introduced kendo to normies they tend to think it's either cool or boring. Potentially, young girls are more turned of by it then they let on though. There are worse hobbies for a man to be into for sure. Even Warhammer guys get laid
>>
>>101186
Doing those arts is not gonna make you any closer to a samurai. Now if you learn to ride a horse, practice your calligraphy, were the catamite in a pederastic relationship, and are prepared to ritually kill yourself or duel to the death, then I'll give you some samurai points. Otherwise it's historical re-enactment at most. Kenjutsu and iaido are typically low contact to no contact cultural practices. Compared to kendo, which is very competitive and physical, they're pretty soft. Jujutsu runs a huge gamut between outright scams and stodgy old judoka just staying in shape. Pick your preference, just don't go thinking you're a samurai.
>>
>>101186
The majority of kenjutsu ryuha surviving today are invented tradition. The styles that worked in a competitive setting found their way into Kendo, and the last samurai that were worth their salt trained in Kendo and taught it to the police.
>b-b-but its a sport
Yes. And it's more close to a real sword fight than anything kenjutsu people practice because of the sparring factor alone. You can't beat learning the soft-skills of swordplay such as reading an opponent, judging distance, training and executing techniques under pressure. That type of training is nonexistent in Kenjutsu, and it's a poor medium for learning those skills which are more important than any individual technique. In fact, most of the legitimate surviving schools in Japan require their students to be proficient kendoka before they are allowed to train.
>>
File: 1640759125508.jpg (178 KB, 2048x2027)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>101593
god damn, this is a good post
>>
>>101593
And to add: Kendo was once called Kenjutsu. The only thing that they changed was the name and the training focus towards self-cultivation (hence the -do prefix). Kendo (then called Kenjutsu) of yesteryear had many of the competition rules and techniques that are still used today.
>>
>>101593
The styles that worked in Shinai shiai were absorbed and contributed to Kendo, and those styles certainly were the dominate form of training during the late Edo, but with the exception of Itto ryu I don't think many of them had a strong influence on the technical curriculum of modern Kendo. Even then there have been significant changes.
I agree that sparring systems are great for learning those soft skills you talk about. That can be a potential weakness in how many koryu approach things but I think you are underselling just how flexible and koryu kata can be. I'm not huge on the concept of which training methods are closest to real sword fight, not many people have anything approaching that anymore, but I have read accounts of people who saw combat in modern settings who think, at least under skilled teachers and at high levels, come very close to what it feels like to be in combat, and instill the proper mindset. Of course there are schools that still have both, and many individuals have experience in both, and that's probably a good thing. Comments like the one you replied to are not helpful.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.