[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: TERRY-ADAIR-SUNSET.jpg (204 KB, 1855x955)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Never flown solo or an ultralight, but just want to get in the sky as cheaply as possible and the used Ultralight market seems like shit right now. I have all the tools I need from my shitty amateur wood working, and can buy piece by piece from a local metal supplier.

Any ultralight pilots out there that can give me some advice? Is this the best model to build?
>>
>>94789
>Just want to get in the sky as cheaply as possible

join a soaring/sailplane club or take up FPV drones.
>>
>>95055
My cousin tried to get me into FPV drones and they're fun, but that is clearly not what I mean. I also have been in a tandem glider and again I'm clearly talking about powered flight.
>>
>>94789
Go for it. If I were you though I'd still get a private pilot certificate at the very least. An ultralight can kill you just as easily as any other plane.
>>
>>95058
My local municipal airport offers a $2500 sport pilot certificate program. I would most likely do that before getting in the air. I will of course get some training before getting into the air by myself.
>>
>>95057
>I'm clearly talking about powered flight.

I mean.... sort've. What you are talking about is doing touch 'n gos flying little low-altitude circles around a grass strip in perfect conditions. If that is your cup of tea, go for it I guess? but it seems a little disingenuous to get huffy about powered flight vs unpowered when you are looking at very similar missions.
>>
>>95064
I wouldn't have to be towed, I can't build a glider in my garage, it's much more expensive. I don't know why I asked on here if people are just going to compare apples to oranges.
>>
>>95058
>ultralight with a top speed of 50MPH can kill you just as easily as a mooney or a baron
hurrr
>>
>>95064
>touch 'n gos flying little low-altitude circles around a grass strip in perfect conditions
I saw some dude ultralighting while I was driving through alberta one time, it is very flat there and the weather was great due to being summer but my man was sailing at a few thousand feet for sure
looked insanely comfy
if that's the kinda area you have around you I can imagine it would be amazing
>>
>>96090
I live in the midwest and well I'm surrounded by hilly areas, I'm in the flatest part of the state. I may have to move out to Nevada in a couple of years, but it's the flat desert part too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.