[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 31 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Is the spinning back kick/backhand actually a viable technique? I went most of my life thinking that turning your back on your opponent for any reason was a very bad idea, but this guy seemed to get a lot of use out of it.
>>
>>93771
In general it’s a bad idea if you haven’t practiced when and how to do it. If you have, People don’t input read your attack when you spin.
>>
A fair bit of landing spinning strikes involves baiting the opening. Training the strike itself, pun half intended, isn't as straightforward as other kinds of strikes done while moving. Once you've spent time making it accurate, you'll have to also learn to make people cover somewhere you're not going to be. The methodology behind that is so varied and personalized, that you'll have to spend potentially a ton of time learning to do it. It's why you tend to see more of it done by people who've been doing it since they were kids, ala Shevchenko's spinning hook kicks.
>>
>>93771
I would save spinning shit for when an opponent gets an angle on you.
>>
>>93771
Spinning back fist / back kick need to be set up since they're mid / long range respectively, but practice them enough and they have solid potential. Even Urquidez used to start fights with a jumping spinning back kick just to set the tone, you do that to some asshole who just pushed you I doubt he'd continue fucking with you. The real best spinning attack is the back elbow since you can use it so close to an opponent, especially if they manage to get to your back.
>>
>>93771
He got killed by realtor's pen and thrown in a furnace wrapped in a home coming banner. Who cares what he made use of
>>
>>93947
He's not dead? I had to check, but yeah he even did some youtube stuff a few years back.
>>
>>93947
I literally trained under him 4 months ago he's definitely got brain trauma (kickboxing will do that to you) but he's pretty high functioning and still teaches great.
>>
>>93771
spinning hammerfist instead of backfist is better.
It's a pretty safe move actually if you can manage distance
>>
>>94012
this, back of the fist has way more breakable bones than the pad you hit ideally with a hammer fist. SBF is really a gloved technique
>>
>>93771

I have decent success with spinning back kick but you have to practice it till autism

Some tips

>stay in a bladed stance or the telegraph is too huge
>harder to land if you are a southpaw or vs southpaw
>works better as a counter vs punches
>practice till autism, even so you can probably only throw it from one side (hard to master spinning both ways)
>practice hitting with you heel only or you foot gets fucked
>spinning back kick and spinning side kick are two different things

Those also apply (minus the southpaw) to spinning HAMMER fist back fist sucks you will fuck up your hand
>>
>>94210
Good advice. I'd add:
>look before you kick
I've seen a lot of people still make this mistake, even when they are somewhat proficient at the kick itself. It makes your kick hit the guard, hit too low (can get you DQ'd), or completely miss.
Basically, you have to turn your body, then your ankles (both ankles looking at the opponent), and BEFORE YOU RAISE/LAUNCH YOUR KICK, you should have already turned your head so you can look at your opponent over your shoulder. Dont throw it blind.

>spinning back kick and spinning side kick are two different things
Yeah, and add the spinning hook/wheel kick to that lol.
>spinning back kick
You come from down to the top in an upright angle with your ankle up, toes looking downwards. Think about it like a uppercut. EZ to master the jumping variation once you get the standing one right. Jumping makes it better: faster and more power.
>spinning sidekick
A classic sidekick buffered with the spinning motion. You still want to launch your kick forwards. The trick is to channel your spinning (side to side) momentum to the forwards motion of the kick. You achieve that by actively pushing with your standing foot at the right time.
>spinning hook/wheel kick
Here you want to use the whole side to side momentum of the spin to kick with your foot/heel. Basically a reverse roundhouse kick, if that helps. Probably the hardest variation of the three. Great catching cornered opponents moving away from your backhand. You really gotta practice this kick autistically because if you miss and your technique sucks you're going to slip or the leg's momentum will launch to straight to the floor.
>>
Try this combo on a bag, when you get it right 100 times in a row, try it in sparring.

Standard stance,
Left leg kicks their front knee,
Right leg kicks their back leg front quad immediately after as a rangefinder, light front kick and push off with your foot as soon as it lands
Spin from the push-off into a spinning back hammerfist.

if done correctly, you'll hear the bag singing from outside the gym on the hammerfist
>>
>>93947
What the fuck are you talking about? are you referencing a movie he did?
>>
I've seen it wreck as a counter

this guy takes someone out with it:
https://youtu.be/1TwGCH2cliQ
>>
>>93771
People who say "hurr durr spinning is a hollywood myth" are reddit faggots. A spinning back kick can be fast, powerful, and most of all, unpredictable. Perhaps it would make a bit less sense to spin during a sword battle, because unlike in a fist fight, getting hit once with a sword can mean instant death, but even so, if you control the fight correctly, I bet you could spinning slash someone's guts open if you know what you're doing.

It's just higher risk for higher reward, same as any other move in martial arts.
>>
>>93771
>>95849
When I was a rookie boxer a guy with much more skill and experience clowned on me with this move. It didn't work again after that.
>>
>>93771
The spinning back kick has been used with consistent success at every level of kickboxing, muay thai, and mma. And its not like the ax kick where its just Andy Hug or something of that nature. To think it doesn't work would imply you don't watch any combat sports at all lol.
>>
>>93771
Back round kicks are deadly (sometimes literally) if you time and land it properly. I have even seen it used in the streets, and it's also extremely risky. But if you master it and land it - it's over for the other guy.
>>
>Is the spinning back kick/backhand actually a viable technique?
Yes.
You already know that it is because you have seen for yourself that it is viable.

Why even make this thread?
>>
>>96403
>Back round kicks
The fuck is that?
>>
>>96416
Because I don't understand why his opponents didn't just wait for him to turn his back and pummel him when he did. That's what I would have done.
>>
>>96520
It's all about proper set up and timing.
People gain experence with how to use such kicks to significantly lessen the odds of a counter with sparing.
It's hard for me to explain it through text but once you sort of "get it" you can feel when you have a opening for such a technique and when you don't. Like distancing, the posture of the other guy, where his weight is, how he reacts to stuff, what combinations create openings, how to faint into it, how to do mix ups to keep them guessing, how to reduce telegraphing, etc.
It sounds complicated and I guess it kinda is, but with enough sparing and having mastery of the technique where you don't even have to think about it to throw it properly, you can just feel it.

I guess I should think about it more, but it's way easier to show someone and set up drills to explain it through body movement then to explain it by writing it out.
>>
>>93771
>spinning back kick
just do a turning side kick (at 1:37)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3N5Rnx37O0
>>
>>96418
I think he means the spinning hook kick
>>
>>96520
Being able to read people and knowing when to throw an unexpected move is a skill that can't exactly be taught. I've done exactly what you've described to people that weren't as good and tried this on me though.
>>
>>93771
spinning backfist is very viable. people use it all the time in striking sports. it's just not something you throw out randomly, like any strike there's an optimal time to use it for to maximize efficiency
>>
>>96703
sergio pettis just knocked out kyoji horiguchi with one a few months ago after getting his ass beat for most of the fight. they can be sneaky
>>
They're used at the highest levels, so yes they're effective, but only if you're decent/threatening with your fundamentals, then drill them to death.

Last Tuesday I landed a 50% spinning hook kick in hard sparring and put the guy out for the rest of the round, and I didn't even land with my heel but with the bottom of my foot.
>>
>>93771
Benny is a punk fraud who ran away from Rickson Gracie.
>>
>>98112
Calling him a fraud is retarded, his record speaks for itself
>>
>>98122
Rigged fights in the Chick Norris karate league don't count, bub.
>>
>>98112
A karate fighter/kickboxer staying in their own sport and not being baited into a style they aren't proficient in due to ego doesn't make someone a fraud.

It would be like claiming Rickson was a fraud because he would refuse a to fight someone using stand up rules since that wasn't his specialty.

In otherwords, stop being retarded and go train.
>>
>>98112
Benny was already old and retired by the time the Gracies were challenging him.
>>
>>98112
>>98149
I'm not sure who is worse faggots like this or people who are super anti bjj and think the ufc and everything was 100% rigged lol. Probably gona lean more towards people like this guy though since it feels way more reddit.
>>
spinning attacks are best used in response to something the opponent does and is usually performed after a block, grab, or dodge. A spinning attack is good for when your opponents weights been thrown off and they themselves are moving away from you. You can set that situation up, like I said, by an initial block, or dodge, etc
>>
>>98112
Hickson is also a retard who counts every single spar or roll as a fight on his "undefeated" 450-0 record
>>
>>93771
I trained with a dude who was a former state kickboxing champion, and he was trained by Benny the Jet. The guy looked like average burger, about 5'10'', about 190 lbs. He was wicked fast. I never seen anybody drill me with a spinning back elbow so fast and it was punishing and I was ready and holding a pad. also he was super fast with the spinning back kick and I was ready with the pad and pissed blood for two days. I am 6'1'' and 220 and would never want to fight that guy or anybody like him in the street. Elbow for the face, kick for the kidney, either is a show stopper. After training with the guy I realized the average looking chubby dude could be super dangerous, don't street fight unless you have no choice, you have no idea who you could be dealing with. Just say you are sorry and just walk away if at all possible.
>>
>>95372
Micah fucking rocks. Great example of someone using their tma roots (Kukkiwon TKD) and translating it into kickboxing/MT. His tutorials are really easy to follow along.
>>
>>96533
literal english translation of Dwi dollyeo chagi (back round kick), or spin hook kick.
>>
>>98112
reminder that the gracies are faggot cultists who used the ufc to kickstart their empire but got fucking demolished by a pudgy japanese pro wrestler
>>
File: Kazushi_Sakuraba.0.0.jpg (162 KB, 1400x1050)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>100879
>jumps over the faggoty buttscoot guard onto the Gracie Facie
nothin personnel kid
>>
>>100883
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBGV70ZxbY&t=1s&ab_channel=kuroro
Here's Ryan getting spanked by Sakuraba while Helio weeps.
The Gracie family solution to a random nip demolishing their entire clan was to say he's an honorary Gracie, to which Sakuraba was like, uh no?
>>
>>93771
It is, but its not a "core" technique, it works as a "supplemental" for off-putting the opponent.
>>95849
Well, I think the point is iver correcting. if you throw out spins even a third as often as you throw out regular punches and kicks you are doing something fucky and will probably get a fist to the back of the head. It effectiveness is as something that is used conservatively rather than regularly.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.