[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 107 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 4U4A8053.jpg (365 KB, 2500x1667)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
Do you think krav maga would work against a somewhat experienced martial artists? Everytime i hear someone talk about krav maga they praise it to be the "ultimate martial art" or "this isn't a sport it's for self defense." not trying to bad mouth it but i think it wouldn't be as practical as boxing for self defense since you can't really pressure test eye pokes or groin shots let alone expect someone to go down from that alone
>>
>>93212
Krav Maga? That nazi is clearly heiling hitler!
>>
i May get called "retarded "(ie;low-inhib chad) but:
Is traditional Iron Shirt chi-kung useful in a sports fight,like that bald chinese pseudo-monk who gets hit on porpouse and almost nevers gets KO?
for example would dropping from a distance of a few CM, a dumbell on the abs while tensing them,create body-punch-proof abs?
can rubbing the skin vigoroulsy,over years,make slightly more hard skin that wont get bruised so easily?
>>
>>93259
That guy was a sanda fighter who never did traditional kung fu conditioning. He may have done some wushu as a youth but even the Shaolin temple put out a statement that he wasn't any kind of representative of their art.

Anyway, most old school conditioning is kinda bullshit. You can build up pain tolerance by kicking banana trees and shit but there's no reliable way to get more chin. That seems to be genetic. Maybe lifting weights so your neck doesn't get moved so violently but that's about it. Conditioning that affects soft tissue is actively bad for you. It will make parts of your body stronger with the tradeoff of crippling and painful arthritis. Not worth it by any measure.
>>
File: 1648135640471.png (409 KB, 1075x931)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>93212
No, krav maga is one of the worst. The only reason it's praised is because Israeli special forces get trained in it, and that's only because someone on the government bidding process.
>>
>>93292
>lethwei in A tier
There’s like 20 guys in a tiny Asian country who actually do that I can’t imagine the talent pool is particularly high level for fighters or trainers. Also what puts wrestling above catch? If it was for the same reason I mentioned above then why put lethwei in A? Why is BJJ and Gracie jiujitsu on different tiers when they’re basically the same thing? Same question for kenpo and karate? What the fuck is this chart?
>>
Anywhere I can watch the Andrade vs Lemos fight? I missed it due to being asleep.
>>
>>93292
Where is systema?
>>
>>93212
"its not sports its..." is typically a terrible argument for a martial art because the live sport aspect is typically the closest thing a practitioner would do in a real fight. and if you dont live spar at all then what you do in a real fight is get your ass beat by some guy larger than you. i think krav maga does situational drills and light sparring, which is good but you eventually need to experience a fully resistinf opponent, either in the form of tourneys or live sparring to get better at fighting.
>>
>>93292
>No rex-quando
Shit list.
>>
>>93212
It was created for militiary use and has an advantage over 99% of martial arts, because it doesn't have any fancy show off shit. But it's still a martial art. Anything other than combat experience will not prepare you for a real fight. You shouldn't learn any techniques, instead find out how to fight
>>
>>93212
krav maga is balls. apply logic: if you don't need to spar to practice krav technique then anyone can do it. so why learn krav when you can learn muay thai and still be able to poke people in the eyes?
anyone can kick someone in the balls, except if you know something like muay thai now you can kick them in the balls even better.
nothing in krav requires years of practice or sparring, because they don't spar. so practice something useful instead, and then poke people in the eyes with more precision, speed, strength, and timing than if you did krav maga because you actually spar and learn all these things in an applicable martial art
>>
>>93292
>>93299
whoever made the image is making assumptions based on wikipedia articles lol. you're right, lethwei is a bunch of midget cambodian tuk tuk drivers who couldn't cut it in thailand's muay thai. a lot of muay thai washouts go to cambodia to fight in lethwei. the "king" of lethwei is a bald french canadian who sucked ass at muay thai and started beating up midget cambodians instead.
noobs think "omg only knockouts and they have headbutts, it's so hardcore" except in reality since the fight ends in a draw unless someone gets knocked out, the favorite will just run away the whole fight to avoid losing if they aren't looking like they're going to get a KO. so most lethwei fights end up being boring as fuck, and there's no money in it so nobody bothers getting good. their technique is bad, it's just sloppy muay thai. lethwei fuckin sucks
>>
Are there any companies that make gi with shorter sleeves?
>>
>>93393
What kind of gis? Karate gis, judo gis, BJJ gis?
>>
>>93314
D-
It's written in cyrillic.
>>
>>93407
Karate
>>
>>93364
Didn't the Canadian get banned from the sport for talking shit about about Buakaw recently?
>>
>>93393
sleeves are usually intended for gripping so you probably won't find many gi without them
>>
>>93441
he has a history of being a faggot and idk if he got banned but i think the sport authority of thailand had a correspondence with a governing body in cambodia to basically tell him to stfu about muay thai or else kek
>>
>>93443
Banned from the sport of lethwei and the country too, kek
>>
>>93432
https://www.machidakarate.com/gear/
>>
>sign up at new mma gym
>they only have two striking classes per week for the new guys
>only 3 for the comp team
Yare yare daze...
>>
Does anybody know of any good gyms in Washington State? I'd like one that offers Muay Thai, Judo, and BJJ, or wrestling. I'm in Renton at the moment
>>
File: 1651320121331.jpg (87 KB, 976x850)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
I kept telling myself I would join a martial art gym/dojo and I kept making excuses. Now I caught corona which is another excuse that delays me 1-2 weeks.
>>
>>94319
Are you nervous? Going to my first class was really anxiety-inducing but everyone was welcoming and friendly. I believe in you anon!
t. went to first bjj class last week
>>
>>94324
Thanks. Yeah it's pretty intimidating, but I'll get over it. Good on you anon.
>>
>>94319
I did this for over a year, just setting an arbitrary date and then pussying out once it came up.
Then I finally found a good gym but it got shut down by Corona about a month and a half after I started and I ended up moving and going back to pussying out in getting back into it.
Started going to class regularly about three weeks ago and a good motivation is seeing how much better than you all the guys who have been there for a just a few months are.
Go to the gym, make friends, and git gud.
>>
Just had my first boxing class. Is it normal that the warm up takes 60% of the time and the actual training part only takes up about 20 min?
>>
>>94543
Yes. If you're a beginner strength and conditioning is more important than skill training. Cant build castles on sand or what not.
>>
Krav maga, the art of the sucker punch and catching the badguy off guard by going "sicko" mode. Anyone can be caught off guard I suppose but a little tip about ALL modern military martial arts. They are not suited to unarmed fighting.

Soldiers train unarmed combat for a few months and then move on, you cant make a fighter in a few months. Military martial arts are about increasing aggression and "warrior spirit" (a real military term) the theory is that in a scenario such as, you bust into a room and your gun misfires at close range the only thing that might save you is to charge the enemy and create a scramble over their weapon until your buddy catches up and pops him for you.

there is also the cliche scenario where a small number of armed guards are guarding a large number of unarmed pows where if all the pows charged their captors most would survive with only a few casualties but nobody wants to be the first to charge. Convince your soldiers that they are unarmed experts and someone might convince thenself to start that snowball.

There are good fighters in the military but they all have one thing in common. They train outside the military in civilian gyms.

It just doesnt make sense to turn soldiers into unarmed killing machines when they spend virtually 100%of the time armed. that time and money is better spent training them with their weapons systems.
>>
>>94543
Boxing has like 8 punches and a smattering of techniques. The path to becoming a good boxer is mastering timing, footwork, and pacing. And most beginner boxers have dogshit technique. most of the warmups are just to get reps in punching, moving with footwork, and getting your cardio up. If you want to get good fast learn to shadowbox effectively and practice the technique outside of class. And don't be afraid to videotape yourself and be critical.
>>
File: 1649279212503.jpg (166 KB, 1024x699)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>94324
>>94353
I went to my first bjj class today
>>
>>96268
Did you do gi or nogi? how'd you like it?
My gym is an MMA gym with a BJJ focus, but I'm more into the striking because I always seem to get hurt whenever I roll.
>>
>>96268
You took the first step anon, good shit. How did it go?
>>
>>96268
YAY happy for you anon! Just keep on going and the nerves before each class will dissipate.
>>
>>94543
Im assuming your class is between 1-2 hours. The real work comes after that
>>
Fuck all martial arts. The only way to learn how to fight is no rules and no warning. Go rough up some homeless guys to start with. They have shit reaction time and are easy to get the jump on. Especially if you hold out some change. Next you are going to move up to fatties. 300+ plus. Better reaction time than a drugged up malnourished homeless man, but slow enough to help you get used to dodging and countering. Now you are ready to hit the bar. Drunks have bad reaction time, but are very strong and aggressive. These fights are how you get used to risking your life and be calm under pressure. Go to a construction yard or some other place where people do hard physical labor. Catch one of them just after work. They should be pretty gassed, but will be very fit and strong. After a few of those it is time to go to the big leagues. Catch people walking alone at night. They will be high alert and there is no telling who you'll run into. You will have to learn the art of surprise. Once you get good at taking out people in the streets it is time to find a martial arts school. Stalk their fighters and take them out. This will be the longest step. Travel across the world stalking and jumping random fighters from random gyms. Once they are no longer a challenge the next step up is police. This gets a lot harder as they have guns and specialized awareness training. Keep that up until it is easy. Now it is time for the military. Soldier just off duty. Preferably ones with PTSD for the extra challenge. Then you will move up to agents in intelligence agencies. Once you get good at pounding those guys, It is time to move up to active battlefields.
>>
File: lil aoki.jpg (13 KB, 270x480)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>96315
It was in a gi in a BJJ dojo. Training MMA sounds awesome. I guess you guys train no gi jiujitsu? The gi was pretty expensive and that's the only thing that annoys me
>>96316
>>96319
Thank you. I went to a beginners class and even then it was pretty intense. First time training any martial art. I felt very awkward with the grappling and I couldn't even takedown the white belt girls. I just want to get good
>>
>>96374
That sounds reasonable. I will now go beat up homeless people.
>>
I'm looking to bring up my conditioning after strength training for a couple years. Never did a martial art or any combat sport, what's a good one to begin with?
>>
>>96379
>I felt very awkward with the grappling
Don't worry anon, that's completely normal. I remember, in my first few classes, I felt retarded, uncoordinated, and like I was burdening everyone I was partnered with. I'm starting to feel more comfortable after ~1 month but I still feel like a fish out of water most of the time.
>I couldn't even takedown the white belt girls
You thought you'd be able to take them down with no technique because they're girls? Silly anon
>>
>>96379
It's less of a complete MMA gym and more of a BJJ studio that offers some striking classes, so they do gi and nogi, I just haven't put the money towards buying a gi yet.
Gi sounds fun though! Keep at it, you'll be surprised how fast you get good, especially if you go to open mats and roll with higher belts.
Generally more experienced people are happy to show you neat stuff, and they don't mind if you're a bit awkward.
>>
>>96381
>Homeless martial arts
>>
>>94938
You sound like a fucking retard that doesn't know fuck all about the military or real fights. If you think combat positions only spend a few months training that shit, you're an idiot. Most dudes in those roles are the kind of people who will train more on their own. And your opinion on their use of civilian gyms is 100% guaranteed bullshit unless you're referring to dudes who are already out of the service. Almost every base has a martial arts gym and I promise you it is much busy and full of way more experienced practitioners than a civilian gym. Give your balls a tug you fucking tard.
>>
>>93292
>tai chi not in F tier
Not a serious list.
>>
>>96486
Insults and empty assertions aren't a valid rebuttable.
Grow up dude.
>>
/k/ is saying martial arts don’t work in fights again
>>
>>97045
>people with 3000k in combat gear but a bmi of 35 don’t understand how fighting works
Color me shocked
>>
>>96486
You never trained martial arts and also never been in the military, but if you've been in the military and only traines hand to hand combat there, you should go to a civilian gym for a reality check
The balding fat boomer with a brown belt could kill you with his hands
>>
>>97047
you ought to be versed both, retard.
same if you do martial arts but are a 60kg twink that can't even deadlift twice his bodyweight
>>
File: fail-martial.gif (3.35 MB, 493x498)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB GIF
>>93212
>Do you think krav maga would work against a somewhat experienced martial artists?
>no
Once you're in a live combat situation forms and kata's go out the window and everything dilutes to grapling, striking, aft target, and skeletal structure manipulation....
>with the basics of stamina, strength, muscle memory and will to survive
>>
>>97054
This
>6’2” fatty who carries every day
>starting karate next week
Everyone should do martial arts, there’s literally no downside to learning to fight.
>>
>>97054
I never said you shouldn’t double retard. Not that you’ll ever wear your plates or use your AR outside the range though. 90% of your weapon skills training should be dedicated to your carry pistol
>>
File: 1548118184061.jpg (175 KB, 814x1276)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>93292
Which martial art do I choose if I just want to be beaten up and dominated by cute girls the entire time?
>>
>>97101
MMA. Worked for me.
>One girl is a white belt
>Bad technique and everything
>Smothers me with her breasts trying a choke hole, squeezed my head between her thighs incorrectly trying to arm bar me
>Another girl just sat on my face trying to do some stupid knee lock that she doesn't know how to do properly
>Both of them couldn't figure out why i wasn't tapping
>Just lay there knowing this is how I want to die
>>
>>97060
Good on u anon!
>>
>>96374
lmao, had a good laugh
>>
>>93355
>Developed for military
>Good

Pick one. Martial arts for military are basically "good enough" to teach most people something they might use once ever. The reason military dudes could kick the average persons ass is because of their conditioning and mental toughness
>>
>>97269
based take, military martial arts are interesting but quite lacking on their own
>>
Anyone that trained a striking martial art, then ended up doing something with weapons (kendo, fencing, FMA)?

I was talking with a friend about gi vs no-gi training and I used the example about some boxer already having good hand-eye coordination, timing and distance sense would help him to be better than some untrained guy in their first months of fencing practice and I wanted to know if this would be true or not.
>>
>>93292
how is silat a C? i thought it could be lower than that.
>>
>>93292
This list triggers me because it seems that it was done by someone that does not even train.

>BJJ being more effective than oldschool Gracie Jiu Jitsu
>disregarding Kali/Eskrima/Arnis to a lower level when it is basically the best martial art for your day-to-day self defense unless you have a gun
>>
>>97315
This too. Philippine boxing and Wing Chun should be on the same tier. FMA is great for weapons, and for weapons alone.
>>
>want to take up an MA
>all the judo in my area is olympic and sport based
>check out the nearest muay thai place (an hour away)
>almost no sparring at all mentioned, all pad work
this is fucking dire lads, at least there’s a glut of boxing gyms
>>
>>97403
What general area?
>>
>>97409
east anglia in england :(
>>
>>97403
>>all the judo in my area is olympic and sport based
Stop falling for fucking memes and do what martial arts are actually available. The “non-sport but super better than everything else” you hear about on here are so fucking niche that no one does them and the people that do aren’t getting the same quality of training that an Olympic dojo is getting. This boards obsession with niche martial arts that are supposedly superior is due to the fact that most people here don’t actually train.
>>
>>97403
Olympic ruleset or not, slamming someone on concrete is still slamming someone on concrete. Judo will do just fine.
>>
>>93292
Sambo not being on this list is a tragedy. I'd rate it over MMA for self defence
>>
>>97410
Start boxing. Sport based MAs are awful and not practical. I mean knowing how to throw people is great but its probably in a controlled environment. Sparring is an absolute necessity.

I 100% believe that if you don't spar its useless in a real situation.
>>
>>93292
Why the fuck is boxing above kickboxing, Muay Thai, Kyokushin, and lethwei? Why is “MMA” included but not kudo and sambo? Why is Wing Chun above literally anything?
>>
>>97456
>Sport based MAs are awful and not practical.
>Start boxing.
anon...
>>
how much of a waste of time is gi jj 4x a week? All the holds and a lot of the chocks are a waste of time.
>>
>>97463
Gi Jiu-Jitsu is fine. I've seen uses for most of the techniques that I've been taught in sparring. Totally worthwhile
>>
>>97432
>>97450
thanks brehs, there’s one a half hour taught by olympic judoka but the dojo also does BJJ and “grappling” so hopefully they teach the forbidden ne zawas
>>
>>97510
>forbidden ne zawas
Mistakes like these are a diamond dozen
>>
>>97463
You can always train with no-gi grips/submissions
>>
>>97520
>tries to make fun of poster's ignorance
>say the insulting phrase wrong
boy, idiots like you are a dime a dozen
>>
>>97526
>autism
It’s a doggy dog world out there
>>
>>97529
you look like the idiot here, if you want to pull the autism card then Paul's in your court
>>
>>97530
I guess I should have taken Paul showing up for granite
>>
File: giphy.gif (742 KB, 300x200)
742 KB
742 KB GIF
>>97532
>>
>>93212
>pressure test
Reddit terminology
>>
>>97948
>t. Newfaggot who wasn’t around for /asp/
>>
>>93212
The earliest form of Krav was pressure tested street fighting from a guy who started with boxing and wrestling and got in a lot of street fights. Now I can't vouch for anything after his original instruction because obviously things might have gotten changed over time. But if you got authentic stuff unchanged from the founder I would presume it's as effective as most MAs.
>>
any recs for some effay but also comfy, durable, and practical muay thai/kickboxing shorts? will be using them for my sanda training, if that makes any difference.
>>93266
props for mentioning my martial art. sanda stronk! B)
>>93212
by constantly pressure-testing techniques against resisting opponents, besides the techniques that are too dangerous and unreliable to practice them in sparring, u can make any martial art work. but krav is p much an amalgamation of shitty boxing, wrestling, etc, so it would work best against ppl w/ 0 training in any art, ie the "average person", esp if they're intoxicated. however, it's v unlikely u'll get this experience at ur local krav school. the self-defense industry is ripe w/ charlatans.
>>97461
boxing especially. all u have is punches and punch defense, and ig great distance management. but as soon as an attacker closes the distance and clinches up, and god forbid slams u onto the concrete, u're helpless.
>>96500
well, u have to keep in mind tai chi forms include a lot of standard wrestling moves - some of which i practice in sanda. see it as shadow wrestling but compact and scalable in speed. plus u can do it anywhere. oh, and it looks cool if u do it slowly. not to mention the improved balance, the whole direction of energy thing, etc. ramsey dewey and fcbd have made great vids on the uses of tai chi. come to think of it, tai chi is awesome.
>>93299
>>93364
>>97451
it was made by a n00b. give him some time, he'll learn.
>>
>>97967
>any recs for some effay but also comfy, durable, and practical muay thai/kickboxing shorts?
Dynasty
>>
What martial arts should I train if I want to be a martial arts actor in action movies?
>>
>>98096
Taekwondo & gymnastics
>>
>>97315
Weapons?
>>
>>98096
Maybe kapoera.
It's super flashy. Dogshit, but that doesn't really matter if you aren't really fighting.
Mix it MMA or somethong for versatility though or you'll be shit out of luck if the cript needs you to wrestle.
>>
>>93212
>Do you think krav maga would work against a somewhat experienced martial artists?
Kekekekek
>>
recently started training at this kung fu school bc they're the only school in my area that offers sanda classes. but they require everyone to train in at least of the kung fu styles. i was hesitant at first, but the head instructor explained that sanda is a combat sport for kung fu schools to prove their superiority or w/e, which made sense to me at the time. been learning the chung i chuan form at a rather fast pace bc of my years of experience in martial arts prior, which is p cool and includes a lot of techniques used in sanda. but he still insists that it's more important that i show up at the kung fu class than at the sanda training, bc "sanda is a combat sport and the kung fu applications are a lot more useful for self-defense".

i've heard it all before, and i don't wanna waste years of my life practicing "lethal" yet unreliable techniques against compliant opponents; i've had enough of that at the hapkido dojang i used to train at for a couple years, but at least they sparred semi-regularly and kept improving their curriculum by adding techniques from bjj and other arts.

the thing is he isn't selling this stuff to as many naive students (tho they sure are naive) as possible to cash out on their fears - in fact, he discouraged me from joining at first cuz the school's a bit far away and i already have a school i'm familiar w/ that i can go to. iow, he doesn't operate a mcdojo; he actually believes this stuff.

every now and then when the opportunity comes up i drop a subtle criticism of most tma schools (a lot of which also apply to this school), and i might have to have this talk w/ him sooner or later, but i don't wanna break his heart.

have any anons had a similar experience? in which u're aware of the many flaws in a school/gym's approach and training methods, but continue to train there in spite of it bc they offer sth valuable to u that u can't find anywhere else? what did u do to solve it?

>>98040
nice, although a bit on the pricey side :///
>>
>>97451
Why? Sambo has no chokes, which is a pretty big hole in its submission game.

>>97463
Do you just dislike gi? Or are you "doing BJJ for MMA?"

Why do you feel obligated to do it?
>>
>>98407
>Why?
Because it’s more niche and I don’t train. therefore it’s better.
>>
Any fighters in here?
Should I hang up the gloves for good?
>26 years old, 0-3 record
>First two fights in a tournament last year
>One split decision loss, one TKO by liver shots in 2nd round
>Take a long break, fight again earlier this year
>Came in underweight for a weight class I was too small for, lost the decision
>Fucked up mood for months due to other life things, don't train consistently
>Haven't talked to my coach about my future in the sport
I know fighting isn't for everyone, but there's barely anything else that I was as disciplined and eager to do when I was training last year. Guess I have issues moving on. Thanks for reading my blog post
>>
>>98724
>26
>0-3
Say goodbye. Take up grappling now.
>>
>>98728
Fag
>>98724
Ask your coach. People here don’t fight.
>>
>>98724
You need to change something in your training
For you to lose 3 times in a row something is off, is it your technique? Your conditioning? Your mind?
Dont keep pushing the same button and getting brain damage for free
You can bounce back but some changes are needed
>>
>>98728
>>98733
>>98779
Thanks, to all of you. I've always struggled with a real bad inferiority complex, low self-efficacy, etc. Going into my fight in January this year, it was almost as if I was preparing to lose. I'm starting to believe I got into the sport to become better without first addressing my mental well-being, so my enjoyment of the sport largely hinges on my day to day mood and others' receptiveness to me.
Physically, while I've been told my conditioning is good, I've never been a fast twitch athlete, so head movement and feinting need work. My coach told me to keep working on my fundamentals. Also, I need to work on meal prepping and proper weight cutting. Past two events (my first two fights were a couple hours apart, third fight was a single), I weighed in a few pounds under the max and wasn't able to put enough weight back on. A lot of things that I've personally noticed, but I got to make it work if I want to continue in the sport.
I'll try to talk to my coach about it. Don't want to come across as a whiny fag though.
>>
>>98787
I'm >>98779
Looks like you already know everything you were doing wrong, your technique, your weight cutting and your mental prep
Don't rush back to the rings before you have fixed them nearly 100%, but also remember that not a single fight in your career will be on perfect conditions
Also remember you dont owe winning or anything to nobody, coaches or family
Just go there and do your best, don't bring stuff with you inside the ring like a dead relative or your family
Try to not play and joke with family and friends before the fight, that brings a fake feeling of accomplishment, stay focused and talk only with your coach
>>
>>93212
I've been to a local Krav Maga school and it is literally just MMA with groin kicks and weapons. And yes, they do pressure test the groin kicks. It is an active part of their sparring.
>>
>>97269
90% of martial artists would lose to someone with conditioning and mental toughness, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>97315
Depends on the exact style. Some are sambo-like and are great while others are wushu-like and terrible. So I guess it just averages out to a C.
>>
>>97463
In what world is weaponizing your opponent's clothing against them a waste of time?
>>
>>98787
>>98724
unironically see a sports psychiatrist

>>98407
Sports sambo doesn't have chokes, but combat sambo does. The majority of sambo people also cross-train in judo, so odds are your average sambo guy will know how to choke/choke defense.

Even then, the other anon said self defense. You don't really see much choking in street fights and the takedown/positioning ability you get from sambo should be enough to stop whatever shitty attempts at choking the other person will try on you.
>>
>>98842
If you’re not developing mental fortitude and physical fitness through training then you’re not a martial artist you’re a martial autist.
>>
>>98841
do they actually spar tho? as in test their skills against a resisting opponent? the definition of 'sparring' varies from school to school, i've learned over the years.
>>
>>98407
I want it for self defense there is no place that offers no gi.
>>
>>98844
no one wears the clothing for it to be applied on even then only in winter
>>
>>98900
watch a bit of mongolian judo, they tend to grab around the armpits and wrists rather than on the gi, it’s quite a simple adjustment.
>>
>>98903
>nobody wears shirts, sweatshirts, or jackets
>I can’t undertook, overbook, whizzer etc with a gi on
Quit being a fag and do what’s actually available for you to practice
>>
>>98894
>do they actually spar tho? as in test their skills against a resisting opponent?
Yes, absolutely.
>>
>got punched in the face for the very first time in my life at sparring
>dont know how to process this
>life feels completely different, like im living in another world now
how do i get over this, and accept it? do you ever get used to this?
>>
>>99285
>gets punched once
>has mental breakdown
Zoomers are doomed
>>
>>99285
>do you ever get used to this?
Yes. Just focus on what you're doing and don't let your emotion get the best of you. Quit being a fucking pussy.
>>
>>98900
Nobody sticks to combat sports for self-defense. If you do BJJ, there should be nogi divisions for you to compete in anyway
>>
what do I do if we are not rolling?
>>
>>99285
HAHAHAHAHA HOW DID U NEVER GET PUNCHED BEFORE? NEVER BEEN IN SCHOOLYARD FIGHTS? NEVER FOUGHT W/ SIBLINGS? mannnnn, late zoomers are BITCH-MADE oml
>>
>>99330
Hit the heavy bag.
>>
Thoughts on learning two martial arts at once? One striking one grappling - eg muay thai and judo, both 2-3x a week
>>
>>99569
great idea, as long as u remember to mix them together by sparring in a sort of free fight format w/ friends at least semi-regularly
>>
>>99569
As long as you eat some more and have accepted being tired and never doing anything else, it's fine. Maybe avoid doubling up on any heavy work/conditioning days either may have. At least until you're used to the schedule.
>>
What do you think about obese people in martial arts classes?
>>
>>99586
Better they be exercising than not. They need it more than anyone else
>>
Are there any particular tips or things you ought to look out for when looking for a place to train? I trained for about five years in my teens at a dojo, now I want to get back into it but I can't go to the old dojo since its too far away now.
>>
>>99586
Glad their getting exercise in but they are not fun to grapple with at all, they just lay on you and try to get you to tap by smothering you in their sweaty fat.
>>
>>99645
lol just git gud, no excuses
>>
>>99645
Utilize foot sweeps and get on top so they can’t. You’re not some kind of jiujitsu fag who can’t into takedowns, right?
>>
>>99645
Yeah, i dread having a fat person in full mount on me
>>
>>99784
Don’t get pinned. Can you not put grapple a fat man?
>>
>>99788
You realize in classes, you have to practice different techniques with your partner? I'm not even talking about rolling.
>>
Is 30 too old for martial arts/boxing?
>>
>>99897
No, absolutely not. What are you thinking about doing?
>>
>>99897
Becoming an all time great, probably not. Becoming proficient enough to be a respected fighter, absolutely. And obviously any goals below that.
>>
>>99898
>>99900
Im just thinking about amateur stuff. Too bad Im seriously out of shape (6'3 270 lbs).
>>
>>99917
You're actually better off at that size for some things. Anyone who's still young and dumb still usually won't go all out with big dudes, and anyone who's been at it long enough to be technical without giving you too much power is gonna wanna train with you all the time to work with a huge dude they couldn't normally.
>>
>>93212
Is shooting for a takedown a bad idea for a streetfight? It seems dangerous to come in with your head like that
>>
I'm very interested in starting boxing. There's a few clubs in the area, what are some good things and bad things to look out for when deciding where to train?
>>
>>99932
Look for a gym full of poor black kids and a coach that's overweight and clearly has not been to college. Warning: they will beat the shit out of you.
>>
krav maga is a more recently created martial art by making an amalgamation of pieces and parts from other martial arts systems. Like Aikido, every time I've fought with a practitioner or seen them perform they've always had glaring weaknesses that their teachers and their fighting system neglected to treat. In a list of things that didn't happen, I revered a foot trap and flipped an aikido instructor in his own school. A more complete fighting system is a better fighting system.
>>
Personally I have found this BJJ instructional video to be extremely helpful
>>
>>93292
>A
>Lethwei

There's like 1 person who isn't from there who practices it and he wins because all his opponents are manlets
>>
>>93292
Retarded chart

Old /mag/ way of doing it was
>Pick one from
Wrasslin
Blow Job Job
Judo

>Then pick one from
Boxing
Muay Thai
Kyokushin

and you're set
>>
File: charliez.jpg (7 KB, 259x194)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>96374
Lol, Charlie Z is that you?
>>
>>96374
>beat up homeless man
>get arrested
>now can practice boxing with friendly convicts in the showers

It's a bold teaching method but tbf it would make you better at boxing for sure
>>
>>97319
>eskrima
>good for self-defence

Do you always carry a club with you in flipland or something?
>>
>>93292
>little to no weapon martial arts
>>
>>97463
>>98900
If it's for self defense, then training with a gi is even more important. Even if they aren't wearing a shirt, YOU are. Learning how to properly respond to someone trying to throw or choke you with your own clothes is a great skill to have.
>>
>>99989
>kyokushin
how do you handle strikes to head
>>
doing gracie combatives bros
>>
>>93212
Krav Maga isn't even a real martial art, you'd be surprised at the nonsense they teach soldiers, it's meant to instill a false sense of confidence so the troops are more aggressive in combat not to actually be effective in any combat situation.
Schools are equally hit and miss, krav maga schools taught by former MMA fighters could work, ones from Israeli armed forces are bullshido.
>>93292
Why is Lethwei A tier and Muay Thai A-? I doubt that headbutts make that much of a difference.
Admittedly based to have catch wrestling over gracie jiu-jitsu though.
>>97461
I can see boxing being good in self defense because kicking, clinching or grappling are all super risky in a street fight. Also good emphasis on footwork which lets you escape an altercation. I would actually put boxing on the top and mma in a lower tier personally.
>>
>>93292
Why are wrestling and BJJ above Judo?
>>
>>100237
You do bawksin as well I guess, I dunno
>>
you guys are plebs for not doing the real armbar but my style is called snapjutsu for a reason
>>
Complete noob here. I've been thinking about joining martial arts gym. What are some differences between good one and a bad one? I remember reading that its good to be sparring with random people on a day one.
>>
>>100273
What to look for in a martial arts gym:
>Physically conditioned, fit participants
>Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
>Sparring, "aliveness" in training
>At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
>Clean facility with mats that are frequently washed

What to be wary of:
>Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
>Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
>No proven athletes training there
>No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
>Cult-like atmosphere
>long mandatory contracts with hefty fees for breaking
>>
Muay Thai or boxing?
>>
>>100295
MT because it uses arms and legs
>>
>>99929
It's a bad idea if you aren't already very proficient with shooting in against someone using strikes and counter grappling.
If you are proficient then go for it. Just don't drop the knee or drag the tops of your feet on concrete. That shit hurts and can linger after the fight is done more than getting punched in the face.

Back when I was a kid getting into scraps every other day I didn't have training and my striking didn't really do shit if I am being honest, but being a pro wrestling fan and backyard wrestler with my buds, I ended a lot of fights by tanking hits to grab the other guy then slam them, or get them to the ground and knee the shit out of them.

My point us, if a full force punch from a 17 year old isn't enough to stop a untrained 12 year old from shooting in and slamming them then I think if you as a adult with training can handle it if you did shit that makes you used to it. But if you haven't been grappling in your spare time or used to tanking hits then use another tactic.
>>
From the perspective of a instructor I say this
In theory it's great as they could greatly benefit from it in many ways.
In practice however the issues that caused them to become and stay fat makes them not take training seriously nor stick with it long enough to see benefits. Another major problem is that all that extra weight and usually lack of any other physical activity means they are super prone to injury as well as injuring others. They actually have to be constantly watched and almost given their own specialized training to not blow a joint or something since they simply can't keep up with group classes of normal sized people without hurting themselves.
They can't work with similarly low ranks and beginners in drills and sparing because even simple clumsy mistakes can fucking cripple people who are inexperienced and much smaller. I have seen it happen.

Simply put it takes special attention from a mindful instructor who doesn't just ignore their issues just to be pc. Similar to any other disability, only for cultural reason people pretend obesity isn't a disability.
Like seriously watch someone with obesity move about or do physical activity then a normal sized person and tell me they aren't disabled by the dictionary definition.

Really the best thing for someone really fat is super low impact activity, weight training, and most importantly major modification of diet.
I am not saying they can't do martial arts, especially stuff focused on health and wellness like cardio kickboxing, tai chi, etc. It's just that the vast majority of martial arts are straight up dangerous for them in their current state if the training isn't specially modified to avoid injury.

Also had to straight up yell at a few for eating DURING class, as well as tell them off about drinking soda and super sugary sports drinks.
But I can't force them to fix their diet. Just inform them that they will stay fat or even gain weight if they keep up with the over eating.
>>
>>100385
God damnit
This was a reply to
>>99586
Asking about opinions on obesity in martial arts.
>>
>>94170
You're at a mma gym, go to the mma classes...
>>
>>93292
Boxing over Mauy Thai? Nah. Kicks and knees really change the game on head movement and really just movement in general. Show that you want to slip his jab once and now you can't slip at all without risking him throwing a lead head kick. And forget about ducking punches.
>>
>>100385
We were learning some throwing techniques in BJJ class today, and I feel like the instructor purposely told the class to not do the actual throws (just practice the movement) because there were 2 fat people in the class. We usually practice actual sweeps and throws when there weren't fat people in the class so it made me think it was because of them. What do you think?
>>
>>100402
Not him, judo fag here. There are throws like manikins goshi (which is one of my favourites) that can be a really hard fall if you’re new and not doing it correctly. It could be a matter of the technique being more dangerous than the people themselves doing it. What throw were you practicing?
>>
>>100409
Jesus,
>makikomi goshi
Please forgive my phone posting
https://youtu.be/jGLtSzYAvJE
>>
>>100385
What was the most obese guy you seen?
>>
>>100409
>>100410
Idk what it was called, but it goes like this
>partner grabs you from behind, over your arms
>you turn and put one of your legs in the middle of their legs
>you grab their gi pants at the knee and pick them up
>toss them on the ground
>>
>>100418
Hard to judge but there was one guy who came to 5 or 6 classes that must have been 400+ pounds. They were mainly there to support a family member and said family member convinced them to give it a try. They gave it a honest go and thankfully avoided any serious injury but once the excitement of doing a new thing wore off they stopped showing up altogether. Which is pretty common and not just a fat people thing.
The one that kinda pissed me off the most was a 16 year old who is obese and had no respect for themselves, the people around them, or the class. Would never make it through any exercise without stopping short or giving up. Only seemed to enjoy pushing around the people both younger and smaller then him but would go full bitch mode whenever he had to drill or spar with someone he couldn't manhandle. Including straight up running from one of the middle aged mom's of the family class when she got a good shot in.
He is also the one I had to yell at for eating during class.
Really tested my nerves. But he also kept injuring himself because he didn't listen to instructions or warnings.
So eventually decided training wasn't for him and got a job at a donut shop instead.
He seems to get bigger each time I see him. And I don't mean hight.
>>
>>100385
308lbs, 6,1. trying to lose about 50 pounds before i consider doing judo or muay thai just to prove that i can muster the dedication and for all of your reasons.
>>
>>100432
Not that anon but i recommend very light cardio (speed walking), counting calories and cutting down to about 1800, and eating 5 or 6 very small meals a day. Apples and cucumbers are great snacks since they have very low calories and have great nutritional value.
>>
>>100598
>>100432
If not walking then get an exercise bike. Not trying to be a dick but you may literally be too fat to run because doing so will blow up ur knees out. Low impact exercises will keep you going a lot longer than injuring yourself trying to do a 5k will.
>>
>>100603
Swimming is also great for fatsos.
>>
>>100598
>>100603
>>100626
thank you anon, I'll hit the treadmill and ex bike, count my calories and lose that weight.
>>
>>100432
Drastically cut down on sweet drinks and alcohol, eat only at meals, and do something low-impact like walking, cycling (an exercise bike is probably safer for a big guy), or swimming.
>>
>>100424
I have an access to punching bag (at the local gym). Is there a way to improve my boxing skill on my own? Maybe a video recommendation.
>>
>>93292
lol this faggot really things "hurr durr lethwei adds headbutts so it must be better than muay thai"
get back to sucking that skinny canadian's cock
>>
>>100869
Benny Urquidez on how to throw punches, Russian School of Boxing for combinations and strategy.

However, I think a double-end bag is a better tool to improve boxing skill than a heavy bag, which is more sport-specific cardio.
>>
>>100899
>>100869
I'm seconding the double end. Really, from any standpoint that doesn't have an instructor overseeing you, you'll learn way more from the secondary bag types than anything heavy. Double end, speed, mamba, slip, etc. There's thousands of good videos on how to work any of them, and the drills are good for a hell of a lot more than boxing.
>>
>>94316
Peak MMA, I live by renton city hall and don't mind the drive. Mike and Cass, the owners are good people and legit coaches. Schedule is Monday- kickboxing, tuesday- kickboxing and gi bjj, wednesday- no gi bjj, thirsday- gi bjj and no gi bjj, Friday- no gi and MMA. Monday and Friday are the sparring days rolls in bjj are everyday ofc
>>
File: bestpurestriker.gif (3.15 MB, 274x168)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB GIF
Anons, I'm trying to speed up my head movement/reflexes for ammy boxing.

The gym is closed now for the summer season so I can't go there, so do you have any homemade ideas I could use to get better at it?

I did think of giving my brother gloves to try jabbing me with but that's something I can only do over the weekend when he's back from college.
>>
>>101175
Shadow boxing is your best bet. Or tie different sized strings with balls on them to your ceiling fan.
>>
Any other instructors here?

Any general advice on mid to large group classes?

Is it even possible to train groups of people to be decent at fighting in a relatively safe manner?

It's just that I don't feel like the standard Kata, Kumite, and Koan style training of "traditional" karate is all that effective at teaching people how to actually fight. Most students just go through the motions and don't apply any of it during free sparing.
>>
>>101609
Even with skilled groups, large group numbers with one instructor is an ass situation even with pro fighters. At least 1 "main" and an assitant for a group of 10 is the way to go imo. It doesn't need to be as exclusive as a private, but being able to jump around between 5 groups of 2 allows for plenty of free learning time, and plenty of coaching. As for the last part, are you running drills? Because almost no one without a strong background in striking can even begin to understand what anything other than a straight line punch might be for, let alone be comfortable using it. Drills are the real "work" for any style. All your time doing kata or sparring is gonna require some anime level abstraction to continue learning.
>>
>>101613
>As for the last part, are you running drills?
I am, but it's only due to me insisting on it. But the time for drills pretty limited whenever the head instructor is supervising my classes because he insist on "tradition" of spending tons of time on kata.
If I could get away with it I would drop kata and replace it with drilling, drop formal kumite and replace it with free sparing. I like Kihon as a warm up and technical practice though.
>>
>>101624
Sounds like you either need to start your own group separately, or ask the owner if you can start a drill specific class in an unused time slot.
>>
i'm a large scottish lad with a large frame (like 10lbs overweight, not obese), do you think kickboxing/muay thai is too flexible of a sport for me or does it matter? I can get my leg up pretty high and keep balance but i'm inherently not a lanky dude (I mean the sport was invented by skinny ass thai people). also does this gym seem legit? https://zuma.tv/
>>
>>101666
It's fine, there shouldn't be much of a problem due to your particular body type. Many body types have found success in kickboxing. Especially at the hobbyist/amateur level.
>>
>>101666
You gain flexibility through training just like everything else. People aren’t born able to lift their legs straight above their heads, you have to practice it.
>>
>>93292
Are silat and eskrima that bad ? I don't really know much about them honestly, but they seemed interested, and I know eskrima is more weapon focused but isn't it supposed to translate into anything from random stick looking objects to empty hands ?
>>
>>100008
the stick is a machete stand-in, I'm told
>>
>>101780
It’s a stand in for any straight weapon, whether that’s a stick, cane, sword whatever. It’s supposed to be a system with multiple applications
>>
File: FMA-CreativeCommons44.jpg (104 KB, 500x332)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>101777

Eskrima is legit. I would say it's got more practical application than HEMA, kendo, or fencing. It's pressure tested in competition and for hundreds of years before that by y'know actually killing each other with knives, swords, etc.

It's lineage is different to other Eastern Martial arts which were historically sport based, like Muay, or practiced by a warrior caste, like JuJutsu.

Eskrima comes from the common folk and was informal for most of its existence. Tho in the West you will mostly get Dan Inosanto's lineage via it having been taught by him to JKD practioners or the Dog Brothers/homosexual park hook-ups.
>>
>>101804
>>101777
It's also still somewhat sought out for corrections work. Though batons are no longer the industry standard they once were.
>>
>>101804
It is way more practical. On top of that, because of the mechanics, there are a lot of eskrima techniques that work armed & unarmed... And while I understand your sentiment about dog brothers, that's how eskrima propagated through much of its early days. As you said, it's a style that was cultivated by very common folk, those teachings were passed along during communal gatherings that would look an awful lot like a dog brothers meeting.
>>
I cant find the right marial art for the life of me
>>
>>101961
Doubt it. What have you tried so far and for how long did you train? Granted, it could be the specific gym you train at, but there's something for everyone
>>
>>101961
Are you the type that easily gives up? Because if so, martial arts might not be for you.
>>
File: blood of my enemies.png (757 KB, 733x717)
757 KB
757 KB PNG
>>101961
answer is always muay thai
>>
google Aunkai Bujutsu
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 225x225)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>101961
How long are you going to the dojo's? Lots of people feel like it's not right or they aren't making any progress because they don't stay long enough. Is there any specific style you like or prefer, such as striking, grappling, rolling around on the floor?
>>
>>102035

Muay Thai is stupidly effective. Crazy how a culture derided as feminine stereotypically by the West has created the absolute most based martial art.

Ditto for Brazilian faggots and BJJ. Meanwhile stereotypically manly cultures like American and Germany say, ain't produced shit. Just American kickboxing which gets destroyed by Muay or BJJ.
>>
>>102049
What specifically makes muay thai more effective than other striking martial arts?
>>
>>102054
they start when they're 5 years old and have hundreds of fights by the time they're 20, and there's no rules that arbitrate what weapons you can or can't use and for how long. many fight for money to feed their families so the drive to win is great. it's pure striking with no frills. full clinching that only gets broken up when it stalls, full use of your limbs, fire tested via intense high level competition and trained from an early age. there's no outside influence, eg a western audience to entertain with bloodsport, it develops purely based on what wins. it's the national sport of thailand and it's world renowned so there's no lack of competition compared to something like lethwei which is just bum washouts from muay thai. and the ruleset encourages people to be technical instead of just purely rewarding forward aggression.
>>
>>102062
the training is also rigorous. these thai dudes live in their gyms, literally. farm families will send their kids to live in a gym in the city so they can fight and send money back to the farm. they train twice a day 5-6 days a week. they run 5+ miles before they even eat breakfast. 6+ hours of training a day in Thai heat.
obviously not every gym is like this but this is the level of competition you will face in a thai stadium circuit regardless of your personal level of dedication. there are cardio/fitness muay gyms in thailand, but they're for farang and normies and you'll typically find them in tourist areas like bkk and phuket.
basically the level of skill in muay thai is so high because the fighters eat, sleep and breathe muay thai. they're basically bred to fight. muay thai has a pedigree, ruleset and identity that other striking sports don't tend to have and that's probably the biggest difference between it and others.
>>
>>102035
>>102049
>>102062
>>102063
Let me guess, you only have ever trained MT and therefor think it's the best because it's all you know.
>>
>>102065
no and you sound insecure
>>
>>102065
i did karate as a kid then started boxing and wrestling in high school. did a year of bjj when i was 20 and now i do muay thai. you sound like one of the many insecure tkd or karate faggots who gets bullied all the time and now you have a vendetta against sports that people actually have respect for out of envy lol
>>
>>102067
projection
>>102068
actually sounds insecure
>>
People who get overly invested in claiming a style is the best tends to be both ignorant and insecure in their own personal development.
So they try to make up for their shortcomings by claiming the achievements of others through pedigree.

It's a sign that you should shut up and go train.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (98 KB, 1280x720)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>102136

People who don't think a handful of specific arts have proven effective after now 30+ years of mixed style competitions pressure testing them are clueless dorks scared of an actual fight.

Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, and wrestling have proved superior to every other art by some distance.

Other styles have plenty of value say in preserving culture, history, philosophy say. But those 4 have proven the best actual forms of fighting by some distance.
>>
>>102164
The point has totally gone over your head.
The point is that you are too conserned with claiming other's glory as your own and you need to shut up and go train more.
You are staking your ego on someone else being good rather then putting the effort to get good yourself.
Stop being a keyboard warror like a loser, stop being insecure, get off your ass and go train until you are secure in your own abilities that you don't have to act like 10 year old who just finished their first karate class in the 90s, and think you are a bad ass by proxy because of what people on tv do.
It's the same shit different era from the same place of ignorance and personal insecurity.
>>
>>102136
>>102167
nobody's claiming any glory you fucking faggot people are saying one is more effective than another and it's true and there's statistical evidence to support it holy shit you sound like a fucking virgin lmao
>>
>>102170
Go train and quit acting like a loser bitch.
>>
>>102173
yeah go train at 9pm on a monday. go watch another ramsey dewey vid you larping virgin
you are a 4-eyed faggot who's never been in a gym before
>>
>>102175
>continues to behave like a loser bitch
Disappointing.
>>
>>102177
You sound like a faggot
>>
>>102180
Pathetic
>>
>>102181
I’m not even the same anon you were arguing with you retard. Do you have anything to say other than
>ur a loser >:(
>>
>>102164
>Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, and wrestling have proved superior to every other art by some distance.
A based autist crunched the numbers of the effectiveness of every style in the UFC.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vR_Ke0zuo9Ec_Muc79QP2wdC1YyHk3sA_MEsUb2I3v-v8uBuiCnwJr2dw26iGbu0YLCY_EF4_L8a-Hq/pubhtml

It's not perfect, but it's a good representation to show that the MT/BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling quartet isn't the end-all-be-all like is commonly peddled.
>>
>>102188
>Do you have anything to say other than
Stop acting like a keyboard warrior to mask your personal insecurities and go train.
>>
>>102193
I literally did four hours ago lmfao, are you a chat bot? What is with these responses.
>>
>>102194
Doubt
>>
Martial arts are literally cope from beak weak autists lmao, all the ones I encountered were bullied and didn't even managed to beat me
>>
>>102254
Ok
>>
>>102254
>beak weak
Talons typed this post
>>
>>102192

Interdasting. So boxing and karate are actually the two most effective styles? Not Muay Thai and BJJ?
>>
File: 4485.jpg (161 KB, 1200x1200)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>102254

Mike Tyson is a weak autist you say? Or Stipe Miocic or Francis Ngannou? And these are things you would say to their faces before beating them up without any training?
>>
Fat people shouldn't get belt promotions until they lose weight. Oh and bjj gyms need BMI limits for newcomers.
>>
File: IMG_20220623_104301.jpg (125 KB, 1080x555)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Should more competitions work that way ?
>>
>>102436
seethe
>>
>>102436

Agreed that fat out of shape people is a sign of a McDojo. But built-fat dudes like powerlifters historically have been literally the strongest grapplers. Even shredded bodybuilders have high BMI.

Grading should include competition victory, which factor in weight classes would be the most obvious way to fix this.

To win competition people need to get to somewhat of an optimum weight, though not necessarily shredded. and to get a belt they need to win in a competition.

That's how it works in other combat sports like boxing and MMA, minus any getting any grading/belt.
>>
File: imrs.jpg (104 KB, 1440x983)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>102439

Supposedly in mixed art styles, i.e. MMA, the stylistic differences should negate reach advantages. It's why early UFC didn't even have weight classes. For single-style competitions it possibly makes sense.
>>
>>102470
>But built-fat dudes like powerlifters
Oh no, I mean obese people with bulging stomachs whose gis are too tight.
>>102467
Fatty
>>
>>102485

That's subjective. Most powerlifters look just like regular fat dudes when normal people look at them in a Gi/clothes. The only way to enforce a level of conditioning is to objectively test for it.

BMI doesn't work as a measure, bodyfat could but its a combat sport not bodybuilding so people would argue against test bodyfat as pointless. So that leaves you with making weight-class based competitions a grading requirement..
>>
i swear every day there's someone new complaining about fatigue. they're just so tired after workouts and they can't figure it out. dude tells me he's dead tired for TWO DAYS after going to the gym. they tell me "oh i get plenty of sleep, water and my diet is healthy" and I'm like "well what does healthy mean to you" and of course they're on this fucking retard keto diet every single time. i don't know who started the rumor that "CARBS ARE LE EVIL" but they should be sterilized. carbs are energy you retards don't tell me you're fucking tired then tell me you don't eat carbs in the same breath. keto is fine if you're an overweight fatty who works at a desk all day, not a skinny athlete who needs the energy to move
>>
>>102436
sounds like a good way to not make any money and close your gym in a month. people go to a gym to get in shape. that's the whole point of a gym for most people that sign up; it's a fraction of that who actually compete. unless you're already established as a competition gym like atos or whatever you're just going to end up closed lol
>>
>>102585
Obese people can go to normal gyms before trying out grappling and crushing people's ribs with their giant gut.
>>102501
The obese 5'4 girl w a giant gut in my class is not a powerlifter lol.
>>
>>102648
you don't understand. let me put it this way: without the people that aren't in shape, there would be no BJJ gyms. it's not sustainable turning away the majority of your customer base. crushing ribs with guts or crushing ribs with muscle doesn't make a difference, learn how to not be in that position in the first place.
>>
>>102652
>crushing ribs with guts or crushing ribs with muscle doesn't make a difference
Fat is heavier than muscle.
>majority of your customer base
The majority of the people in my gym aren't obese. I'm talking obesity, not just chubbiness or being slightly overweight. I guess we can agree to disagree.
>>
>>102655
fat isn't "heavier" than muscle. if someone weighs 200 pounds they weigh 200 pounds lol. and you got it backwards, muscle is DENSER than fat, so it takes less volume to equal more weight. you just don't like fat people which is pretty sad considering a fat guy who signs up for a gym should be encouraged for doing something to lose weight rather than derided by snotnosed blue belts who get stuck under them
>>
>>102657
>a fat guy who signs up for a gym should be encouraged for doing something to lose weight
He can go to the regular gym before trying out grappling. That's what a considerate and self aware person would do.
>>
>>102582
True, processed sugar is evil, not carbs.
>>
Is Muay Thai a good martial art to start with for an insecure weakling?
>>
>>102677

Most people learn something like karate first as kids as it generally has little sparring or hard conditioning.

Muay Thai is the most effective art as it uses all limbs for striking, has stand up grappling, some throws, etc. so it's a good place to start as an adult.
>>
File: 1652411019147.jpg (1.09 MB, 1125x1184)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
what's the best martial art for a 5' woman?
>>
File: kate lotus.jpg (143 KB, 1080x1350)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>103018
Martial arts are applied physics. Any martial art that works for a man will work for a woman. Having tits and a vagina doesn't change that.
>>
>>103028
While I generally agree, I think it is fair to say there are some that women may be more proficient at. Think about the female muscle distribution. It is an indisputable fact that they have a harder time developing and maintaining upper body strength. With that in mind I would suggest woman focus on MA that specialize in lower body techniques. TKD and Savate can be be pretty brutal.
>>
>>103029
I strongly disagree with the notion that women should eschew upper body techniques because lol noodle arms. Women do lack upper body strength and won't be able to effortlessly knock out grown men like happens in all the movies and video games. However, there are tangible benefits to women focusing on upper body techniques.

>teaches defense against upper body strikes--important because the most common attacks are head punches
>teaches effective striking principles and force generation which translate to use of weapons better
>kick heavy martial arts have more risk of falling/getting knocked over onto the ground, where size/strength differential comes into play even more

Kicking would be important for a woman to know if she's going to be a fighter, but for women's self defense, it should be lower priority.
>>
My Sifu passed away suddenly last January. I studied Kung Fu and TaiJi under him for years. I moved out of town a year before he passed. I just made it back and talked to Simoy, his wife and also an instructor by her own right. I managed to get the numbers of some other teachers Sifu has trained over the years that I can reach out to and continue my training under if they'll have me. She's even agreed to teach me the TaiJi that she was taught by Sifu and she has practiced and perfected over the years. In my area it's very hard to find a good teacher and I'm really lost with Sifu gone, but I'm more motivated than ever to be the murderer he wanted me to be. Simoy is a wealth of knowledge and I regret having not asked her for instruction until now. This is just a blog post, but there's no where else on this site to post this.
>>
>>103018
Any one you want, dumbass

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.