[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Judo_white_belt.svg.png (54 KB, 1200x463)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
Will I look like an asshole if I refuse to wear colored belts (unless maybe brown) in Judo and keep my white one?
I'm very satisfied with my club and the level of challenge but they use a 11 Kyu system. Some days ago I received a yellow-white belt and it was painfully humiliating.
I feel so ridiculous and I want to keep wearing my white belt. I'm 21 btw
>>
When in Rome...
I can relate to you. I do BJJ and totally oppose the concept of the belt stripes system at my gym because to me it come off as handing out small dopamine encouragements to help retards stay the course. I would rather just get a new belt when I'm deserving of it. That said, you just have to accept the established gym culture or you'll come off as a disrespectful autist, even if you have a well thought out reason for your decision. Listen to your instructor and accept their way of teaching and leading.
>>
>>92309
FPBP
>>
>>92307
You sound like an autist. Wear the rank they gave you. You make yourself look like MORE of a self important weirdo by insisting on this weird form of humility signaling.
>>
>>92309
>to me it come off as handing out small dopamine encouragements to help retards stay the course.
Fun little factoid the whole reason the belt system came into being was that jigoro kano knew kids needed exactly that in order to feel like they’re progressing. The belt system didn’t become attached to adult martial arts until later.
>>
>>92318
It's because on pure athletism I am outstanding. But I made up my mind about accepting this humiliation.
>>
>>92320
How exactly is wearing a specific belt humiliating?
>>
>>92323
It seems something for children and weaklings. I feel like a retard because I know I am weak.
>>
>>92324
Be less insecure. That’s your real issue.
>>
>>92325
You know that faggy Bullshit was literally just an invention of McDojos to inflate their prices right? Like, that wasn't a fucking thing in those traditional arts. You knew who was weak and who was strong based on their actions. And if you didn't knew, you fucking acted accordingly
>>
>>92325
That's not about insecurity. It's about pride. Anyway I will have respect for my master and my companions and I will wear the fucking belt without complaining.
>>
>>92333
Autism, it doesn’t matter why it was created (even though you are wrong, it was made for kids but extended to adults later. Charging for belt tests on the other hand wasn’t and still usually isn’t a part of judo culture) the point is that this is the way the school is and being butthurt about wearing a colored belt because you think shouldn’t be organized that way is retarded. Nevermind the fact that rank and experience level is how you separate tournament brackets. Let’s do away with that and have the newbies fight guys who have been training for 5 years I’m sure that’ll be great.

Imagine a fucking yellow belt telling the judo community telling us how we should run our dojos.
>>92335
Your pride and shame are interconnected. You wouldn’t feel humiliated wearing a yellow belt if you accepted that this is a part of judo culture. In ten years you can run your own dojo however you want.
>>
>>92333
>>92358
I realized after posting I should make this more clear. Rank has always been a part of judo amongst the kyu grades and the dans. Kano created the system himself. The addition of colored belts to denote rank is what was added later.
>>
>>92319
The French.

For the most part in Japan, you're a kyu until you're a dan in judo.
>>
>>92358
Just because you're a yellow belt doesn't mean that you can't try a cool one-handed sode you saw on Youtube. You'll probably suck, but that's okay. I don't get this guy's deal about being mad getting a yellow belt.
>>
Please more clearly define why you are frustrated.

Are you upset because:

1. Your trainer is utilizing uniform to signal proficiency in a shared learning environment.

2. Your trainer has defined proficiency too broadly or too narrowly to be meaningful to you or others in your shared learning environment.

3. The opportunity to test your proficiency is not accessible to you or others in your shared learning environment.

4. Your trainer is a dictator per a shared learning environment.
>>
>>92307
its just a belt. no one gives a damn.
>>
Yeah you'll look like a douche who's insecure in his masculinity
>>
>>92307
I just wore a white belt in Judo even though, I was a couple ranks above white belt. Nobody cared. But we were a very small, laid-back group.

In general, I would say to wear it the correct color. People will resent you for it, because it gives you an advantage and and seems like you are not committed. It gives you an advantage because people go easier on the white belts.
>>
>>95939
>People will resent you for it,
People will resent you for wearing a white belt is what I meant to say
>>
>>92307

Stop being a faggot and just wear the belt that's given to you. If rank really isn't that important to you, then it shouldn't bother you what color/stripes you're using.
>>
>Will I look like an asshole if I refuse to wear colored belts
Yes.

Any other questions or are we done here?
>>
>>92307
belts are pretty gay in general. You should be able to wear whatever color belt you want. Your performance on the mat should speak for itself.
>>
File: mr miyagi paraphrased.jpg (85 KB, 400x400)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>92307
just wear jc penny belt

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.