[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I already practice boxing and I don't intend to stop. I also want to learn something with kicks in the future like kickboxing.
But I what I want to know is that if I would have any benefits by learning Karate. I kinda always wanted to learn but I'm not so sure anymore if I would learn anything functional that would make me a better fighter, like better fighting techniques or physical conditioning. What should I do?
>>
>>87882
Also, if the answer is yes. Then what style should I learn?
>>
>>87889
Kyokushin is the default answer since they actually hit each other. But Karate really runs the gamut so it isn't impossible to find a good school from another style.
In general, I would not go out of your way to learn karate unless you have a fantastic school near you. You are probably better off going to an average kickboxing or muay thai gym if your primary interest is learning to fight.
>>
>>87882
Depends on a lot of factors- i train Karate for the power development and the kicks at this point (Shotokan). As a boxer you will have better form (no hikite), you will have realistic sparring expierence and you wont have to deal with Kata. Karate kicks are often considered inferior by sites like Sherdog etc, which is not true at all imo, all kicks have their pros and cons. Karate/TKD kicks are more pinpoint, faster and offer a bit more varity then MT kicks. MT kicks are harder, are in my opinion easier to read and can break through the guard of your opponent if you kick hard enough. If you want frequent sparring with no bullshit and less emphasize on form, i would recommend MT. Point Karate styles (vast majority of Karate) like Wado_Ryu, Shotokan, Goju-Ryu and what not will concentrate more on form and Kata but that def. has its merits too. From personal expierence, Karate gave power to my punches and good form to my kicks. The downside is that as Shotokan guy i lacked sparring and only fixed some problems i had gained from it (shitty guard, too wide stance) from KB/MT.
This also all depends on what kinda dojo/gym you get

Its up to you what you want to do and what your long term goals are
>>
>>87930
Forget to mention, Full contact styles like Kyokushin and Seidokan and what are rare as fuck outside of japan but offer a good trade of between training the basic form and realistic sparring. They also most often dont have a Kata fetish like the other non fc styles
>>
>>87930
Goju ryu isn’t point based at all, goju ryu has grappling, take downs, head strikes, depending on the type of competition, but goju ryu is much harder to find outside of Eastern Europe or japan. Goju ryu was the parent of kyokushin after all. Look up irikumi competitions to see more.
>>
>>87931
Kyokushin is very popular in Europe and Asia, less so in America and South America.
>>
>>87932
it's about all you get here in Australia oddly
>>
>>87882
Do you intend to compete in under a kickboxing format like K-1 or MT rules? If so, practice to those rules - which 99% of Karate dojos don't.

If you just want to do something different, break, boards, and learn some cool kicks - the style doesn't matter. Focus on fun.

>oh, but kyokushin - it's so badass, did you know that Mas Oyama killed a bull
Knockdown karate really doesn't exist anymore. It's a super-niche kickboxing style with an incredibly scattered talent base. What happened historically, was that the kyokushin and knockdown karate guys of the 80s formed K-1 in the early 90s, and all the serious fighters in karate moved to K-1 rules.
>>
>>87932
Are you the Goju tard?

No one in your style practices head butts (if you mean that with "head strikes"), many Goju ryu schools dont spar in fc and for fucks sake, dont act like Goju ryu trains a lot of grappling. That is just not true

>irkumi
*sigh*
fuck off goju tard
>>
>>87933
>popular in europe

Not here in the west, no

My countrys Kyokushin schools can be counted by hand
>>
>>87944
You talk like someone who has zero idea about the current Karate or Kyokushin scene
>>
>>87950
>redditspaces
so are these ukrainians doing something else? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNDr4zqDLbs it's called Goju-Ryu, it looks like Goju-ryu, they fight like Goju-Ryu, and it's not just Ukrainian Goju-Ryu, there's world champsionships with fighters from everywhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X9pAPl7VwI but I guess everyone in these fights are just imaging the throws and head strikes
>>
>>87951
There are more I.K.O. members in Russia than Japan? The biggest IKO tournaments are now held outside of Japan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5l18_664xc
>>
>>87882
There is nothing in karate that isn't also found in boxing/kickboxing, including esoteric stuff like kicking with the toes.
>>
>>87969
>everything is reddit space

Fuck off Goju tard
>>
>>87971
>Russia
>West

Are people in this thread retarded by choice?
>>
>>87994
>>87995
>double reddit spacing
elmayo, anyway I.K.O. dojos are all over western russia, the baltics, Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, etc. Perhaps they're poorly advertised or not easy to find but they're definitely there. Also anything before the Urals is western. There's some in Spain and the Netherlands, but again, poorly advertised and hard to find without asking the right people. There are other branches of Kyoukushin as well, the IFK have member dojos in almost every country, and are organizing the World Championships in Valencia, Spain, another European country with lots of Kyoukushin affiliates, Maybe you should try getting off reddit and going to general meetings and not just training. Also as you can see clearly in the Goju-Ryu videos I linked, as well as countless others online, that grappling and takedowns are a regular part of true goju-ryu, do you expect every goju-ryu dojo in schools and church halls to magically get enough tatami to feature full smackdowns,

or can you only read

posts that are spaced out like this?
>>
>>87998
As retarded as always. Never change Goju retard
>>
>>87882
No.
>>
>>87882
A couple of things to consider

>a lot of karate places in the western world are glorified daycare
>even if they have adult classes it will mostly be the parents of the kids in the normal stream (fine if you are like 35+ if you're a young guy I don't think it will suit you well)
>most karate schools that will actually teach you how to fight will be doing some variation of kickboxing in sparring anyway
>but then ontop of that you will do other traditional things like kata etc

Really there's nothing wrong with karate at a good school. Its not total meme tier like aikido its just that if your main intention is to learn how to fight kickboxing is going to teach you most of the same things karate would anyway and a little bit faster too. The main reasons I would say to do karate over kickboxing would be an interest in Japanese traditions and it is often cheaper. So if you see a good kyokushin place for example which is cheaper then your local muay thai gym then for sure go for it otherwise I wouldn't bother personally.
>>
>>87933
I live in Vancouver there are like 3 kyokushin dojos in the metro Van area here and a shinkyokushin one too.
>>
>>87882
>Should I learn Karate?
No you should learn a real martial art, like Boxing, Muay Thai or Jiu-Jitsu
>>
>>87882
Ok sure
>>
Great
>>
>>87882
Kyokushin, or it's not really Karate, unless you go to Okinawa.
>>
>>87882
If you wanna be a great MMA fighter, no.
Do Muay Thai, Jujitsu, Wrestling, and a bit of boxing.
>>
>>87882
I am biases, but I reccomend yes, and Gōjū Ryu.
Karate is good because it's one of the more comprehensive single martial arts out there, so long as you find a good school. Hence I recommend Gōjū Ryu. It places a lot of value on being able to take hits, is practiced full contact, and pays mind to conditioning the body a lot more then some places I've seen. If you already practice boxing, you've got the mental, tactical, movement, and hand striking stuff down, and a deeper-stance style would probably round you out best.
>>
>>87950
Different Goju tard, but what he means more likely is allowing striking to the head.
If memory serves, some karate schools don't allow it in competition due to hazards, which leads to again, a different form of fighting because of the new rules.
I don't remember if it allows headbutts for competitions, but I do know my own teachers did have us training for headbutts one day. But then again, those guys literally turned trainings on their head to teach cool shit they found in other martial arts and thought were useful.
>>
I started training Kyokushin this week and I'm loving it. We train sparring full contact (with limited force but it still hurts a lot if you don't block properly) and there isn't a lot of focus on kata.
>>
>>87882
Train muay Thai, not karate. It will blend right in with your boxing.
>>
>>92152
No the Goju tard is insane individual that rampages since /asp/
Belittling other Karate and MA and talking a lot of bs
>>
>>88000
Not him, but you're the retard, a really faggotty one at that.
>>
>>94526
>Not him
Kek you are fucking pathetic
>>
>>87969
>it looks like Goju-ryu, they fight like Goju-Ryu
LMAO do karate virgins actually believe this? It looks like very bad kickboxing
>>
>>87998
>anyway I.K.O. dojos are all over western russia, the baltics, Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, etc.
I'm from Minsk and for adults there is like 10 kyokushin schools and not a single sambo gym
>>
>>92430
Have to agree with this post
>>
>>98799
That dude in particular is just a very delusional Goju fag
>>
>>87882
If you do, you will basicly just devolve (or evolve) the techniques to basicly just be mma that you decided to call karate as a aesthetic choice more then anything.

people who say “real karate is basicly MMA” is a cope to save face and call upon vague historical references about the “old style”. and just want the veneer and name of Karate to be worthwhile.

Cause if you take a little of everything, why even call it karate at that point? Historically, any striking was considered boxing, a la “boxer rebellion”, in the anglosphere. You COULD say that incorporating kicks that are muey thai like is boxing in that respects, but thats just using the term as a general word for “fighting techniques” as a broad interdisciplinary and intercultural catagory, which is counterproductive to do if your intent is also to distinguish catagories from one another.
>>
>>90199
>>87897
kyokushin is historical revisionism. and Okinawa/“hard to find in the west” stans are “no true scottsman” types who believe all “real” karate is some perfectly logical and practical martial art rather than a gestlat of chinese traditions that had their own pecularities and rituals that got consolidated in the culture of Okinawa. NOT some highly effective combat systemization.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.