[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: FH8uy4xX0AIvJpk.jpg (200 KB, 1080x1080)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
Are you supposed to be tense when it lands? what is the proper technique ? do you move your feet during the punch?
>>
Too broad question. Visit a gym and learn properly. There are very many versions of punches with different aims and different situations, like a Swiss Knife with a lot of tools - you wouldn't ask "which tool is the best" without specifying your situation and how it should develop, would you?
>>
>>87832
Build Power
>>
>>87843
An axe is the best tool.
>>
>>87832
Read this. And yes, you should clench your fists when you throw a punch.
>>
Go to a boxing gym and ask someone in there. They'll teach you how to throw a punch.
>>
>>87832
Make a fist and squeeze that bitch as hard as possible. Do that several times throughout the day. Your hands are weapons that never leave you, you should be training with the daily. Not a day should go by where you don't throw a punch, into a heavy bag or just shadow boxing.

As for types of punches, there are push punches (jabs) and swing punches (short hooks, wide hooks). I find that my swings, especially wide hooks (haymakers) are fucking brutal. I've had to punch multiple people in the face at my job for attacking me, and 4/4 of the fights I've been in so far ended in one punch. I've never knocked somebody out cold but have TKO'd 3/4, where they went out for a second but then came to. All of those were wide hooks, and 2/5 of the times I've used that (been in one fight outside of work), I've bruised the shit out of my knuckles. One time might've even been a partial break because it took 6 months to heal and my knuckle is still all fat. That guy fell like a twin tower, vertically onto his tailbone. Practice those fucking haymakers, you can generate a lot more force in a swing than a push.

Cont
>>
>>87923
Further on training, don't go to a gym that doesn't have a heavy bag. This is a bare necessity piece of equipment like a bench press or squat rack. Train your whole body for strength specifically to get a good base of strength. Don't get lured into that bodybuilding faggotry. Get small MMA type gloves, not big super padded boxing gloves. Start out hitting the heavy bag lightly, move up in power. Throw some combinations, focus on your footing to make sure you're not going to lose balance in a fight. Eventually build enough hand strength that you can hit the bag gloveless. This could (and probably will) result in injuries. Don't worry about them, anything that isn't an actual bone break just helps build strength. I've had my wrists pop and some shit must've oozed out of my joint, it left a ball of soreness in my wrist that was visible on the surface. I've had knuckles get bruised often, this just goes away, don't worry about it but let it heal. Don't make an injury too much worse that it turns into a break or can't adequately heal. Maybe move onto harder things, but I've found heavybags are typically good enough, anything harder and irl you're going to punch TOO hard and just break your hands. Had this happen about 3 times as a kid before I started specifically training hands by hitting heavybags and doing pushups on my knuckles. You should consider your hand a weapon and making a fist should come naturally and feel confident that your grip isn't going to break or your wrists won't buckle in a fight.

Train palm heels as well. If Bas Ruten uses palm heels, you should be using palm heels. Hit the heavy bag with those too and you'll see what I mean, that's probably how humans are actually intended to fight. Train hammerfists as well, both downward and sideways. And elbows.

Areas to hit are the jaw, nose, lips, neck (only in serious fights), ribs, and liver (look up how to do a liver shot, this drops people due to the amount of pain it causes).
>>
>>87925
Try to throw them off balance as well and learn how to "ground and pound."

MMA is the best fighting style there is, and you can look up MMA vs Shaolin Kung Fu or Karate or whatever videos to prove it. It's mostly just kickboxing with various forms of wrestling mixed in. Learn kickboxing as a base and know some basic wrestling holds as well. If you don't already at least know how to triangle choke or guillotine choke someone I'm sorry but you're trans. I know a good dick chopping doctor if you need a recommendation.

Remember to hold those fists tightly and confidently. If you train them right you'll have blunt force weapons attached to you always. To do this you have to specifically train hands, do things that specifically build hand strength. Even small things like working with your hands, doing the dishes, hand washing clothes. You should never pass up an opportunity to work with your hands, our generation doesn't do it enough, we all have pussy girl hands that will break in a fight if we don't train them.
>>
>>87832
Go to a boxing gym

>Are you supposed to be tense when it lands?
Fist should be tense so you dont hurt yourself.
Shoulders and arms should be tense for a split second when the punch is landing, legs should have a solid foundation. You only really learn that through expierence and throwing a lot of punches - you will get a feel for what works and what not.

>what is the proper technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKDHdsVN0b8

Visit a gym

>do you move your feet during the punch?
There is no easy yes or no answer to this- in general you want to keep moving so you dont get hit but you still want to be stable.

You are obvisously a beginner and interested in boxing fundamentals -
VISIT A GYM. Learn the proper form, you may even enjoy the sport.
>>
>>87832
your body should be relaxed when you throw and tense up as it hits or you WILL break your wrist.
>>
>>87929
It's not a matter of timing, your wrist and fist should always be tight. If you leave it up to timing, especially in a real fast paced fight, you're going to break your shit. You have to make sure your hands are tight, and your forearms are kept locked so the wrist doesn't buckle. The rest of the body can be kept pretty relaxed and move fluidly but those contact points should not be loose. It doesn't take much energy to keep your hands and wrists tight.
>>
>>87832
>Are you supposed to be tense when it lands?
No. In fact you should be able to hit with a completely loose hand.

>do you move your feet during the punch?
Yes, if possible.
>>
>>87923
>>87925
>>87926
lol you might not realize it but you're creating your own martial arts style.
>>
>>87987
It all falls under the same concept as MMA. I don't like the martial arts, I like martial sciences. The Western styles (kickboxing, wrestling) are more scientific, practical, and easy to learn whereas the Asian styles are difficult to master and overly choreographed. The only Asian training methods I include are iron fists training from Shaolin Kung Fu, and chi training from various Eastern styles. Jui Jitsu and BJJ are excellent as well, but there's so much last the basic concepts that it takes regular training over a long period of time to learn. Most of it is based on Western wrestling styles anyway, and you really only need to know the main holds, how to avoid letting your opponent get you into a hold, and how the get the fuck up if the fight goes to the ground. You never want to be there for long irl.

Chi, or direction of force with simultaneous use of the valsalva maneuver, is very real and helpful. But if you're going to be directing force and hitting that hard, you need unbreakable fists to go with it or you absolutely will break your shit. Couple those training methods with highly practical Western styles and you'll be a mean fighting machine.
>>
your technique is wrong if your elbows hurt after throwing a punch right?
>>
>>88082
Depends on how hard the impact was. I've had sore elbows after a fight where I wasn't even hit. Just means you used the muscles in that area which aren't typically used.
>>
The triceps muscle inserts into the olecranon (the "elbow tip"). The triceps is used to extend the arm. If your elbow hurts from punching (even moreso without having hit anything) it is a sign that your structure (here: the triceps sinew) hasn't adapted enough and is about to get injured if you keep this kind of exercise up. Either reduce speed, impact or repetition count. Muscles may get sore, but ligaments, sinews and cartilago shouldn't hurt from training.

t. physio + MA trainer
>>
>>87832
Make sure your chakras are aligned and you have chanted your daily 5,000 mantras; don't forget to remove your squat plug as well this is key when throwing a punch.
>>
>>87832
Ok
>>
>>87832
Ok
>>
>>87947
Wouldn't a tight fist make your forearms too rigid?
>>
>>87923
Also, don't forget not to punch with your pinkies. You'll break them
>>
>>87832
Sounds like you start out with bitch slapping
>>
Can stronger wrists and hands aid in your technique?
>>
bump for >>93294
>>
How would one train in mma without any access to a training gym?
>>
>>99098
Train whatever martial arts are available. If you train more than one you’re a mixed martial artist
>>
>>99098
Normally I would say you can Google it, but seeing as you are too retarded to figure that out I would suggest going outside and picking fights with strangers. No better teacher than experience
>>
Punching will just lead to you breaking your hand. Palm strikes are the better option. People like to say you can punch a soft target like the body or the jaw but its still dangerous. People are just so hell bent on punching that they cant let it go.
>>
>>99105
I’m tired of seeing this high INT low WIS autism. Go watch some street fight videos and ask yourself how many times it looks like someone broke a hand and then consider whether your concern is common enough to justify the loss in range, loss in power, and risk of wrist injury that comes with palm strikes. I can guarantee you’ll at the very least come away with a conclusion that says you won’t “just break your hand.”
>>
>>99108
How many of those guys can even throw a hard punch to begin with? Its only not dangerous for people who have punches that are incredibly weak to begin with. Someone who can punch really hard like a pro boxer would absolutely destroy his hands by punching with a closed fist. Boxers break their hands all the time even in gloves and wrapped. If you can punch hard its a bad idea.
>>
learn by abusing those around you with your fist
>>
>>99112
>How many of those guys can even throw a hard punch to begin with?
A haymaker hits with an incredible amount of force. The only reason you don’t see them practiced is because they throw you off balance and leave you open to a counter. You still see them every so often as a knockout blow in professional combat sports though.
>hurr durr hitting hard is what breaks your hand
Hitting with poor form is what breaks your hand. You’re more likely to break your shit from bad alignment then you are with too much power.
>Boxers break their hands all the time even in gloves and wrapped
Boxers fight for 30 minutes straight and throw hundreds of punches in a single fight you tard. The average street fight won’t even last a full round. The amount of force you’re putting on my our hand is way different.
Go watch the Irish traveler boxing series. These dudes can fucking punch and do it with no protection. Their hands are not constantly shattering like glass.
>>
>>99116
Not everone can throw a haymaker hard. Most guys in street fight vids have probably never thrown a punch before and thus arent very good at punching nor are hard hitters.

Hitting the top of the skull no matter how good of form will break your hand. You cant hit a target with perfect accuracy in a fight and so you could easily accidentally hit him on his forehead.

Boxers are the best punchers and even with every form of protection they use they still wind up hurting their hands. Its not as if its an accumulation of damage from the fight but it is where the target is too hard for the small bones of the hand. Like if the boxer hits the forehead.

If you listen to people talk about bareknuckle boxing you will hear them talk about how they need to control their power more due to injury potential. So any power advantage a punch gives you is reduced by having to hit less hard.
>>
>>99118
>Its not as if its an accumulation of damage from the fight but it is where the target is too hard for the small bones of the hand
I’m not even going to bother responding to the rest of your post. If you unironically think that 100s of punches in a single fight is a not significant accumulation of damage to your hands you are too retarded to talk to.
>>
>>99119
Dude just shut the fuck up
>>
>>99119
Notice how they break their hands when its against a human target and not against the punching bag. Boxers will hit the bag much more than their opponent because its the dangerous area of the skull that matters when it comes to danger.

A boxer will spend 3 to 4 hours a day hitting the bag and the mitts. Its obviously not accumulation. Its the hard spot of the skull that will fracture your hand immediately.
>>
What's the best knuckle / area to land the punch with? Obviously the most important factor is bone alignment (read this retards >>87884) but I'm torn between aiming between the ring and middle finger and the area between pointer and middle finger. Kyokushin does the latter and, although it takes some practice to 'point' your fist enough, it's become natural to me and it feels good on my wrists during sparring. Jack Dempsey and CMA suggest the former though and even if it's more natural to land I worry about hurting my pinky by accident during a fight.
>>
>>99120
>>99121
Bags aren’t people, that much is true. How do you think karate guys end up with huge hard as fuck knuckles? Repeated impact damages your hand full stop.
>>
>>99123
>damages
More like strengthens
>>
>>99124
You have to damage your muscles to build them up. Their knuckles aren’t being repaired the same way muscles are but calluses develope over areas the skin has repeatedly been hurt. Additionally they eventually deaden the nerves so they feel less pain in that area. Whether or not you consider that strengthened is a matter of perspective I guess.
>>
>>99126
You can dance around semantics, but at the end of the day the only fact that remains is that the kind of damage that Karatekas pursue isn't the kind of damage that this discussion is about (fracturing your hand during a fight).
Even if it was the exact same type of damage (it's not), the magnitude of it is way different, and therefore changes its scope completely.
A boxer getting a hand injury from cumulative damage during a bout (or during their career) isn't the same as deliberately creating microfractures in a controlled way.
The first makes your hands unusable. The second makes your hands more effective at fighting.
Not a valid equivalency.
>>
>>87884
Is correct. Land with your ring finger. I find the only muscles that need to stay tense are abs and lats because those are the kinematic chain links between your legs and arms. Arms are lose, hands are knived, squeeze hard when the punch lands.
>>
>>100254
>Land with your ring finger
>squeeze hard when the punch lands
This advice is extremely retarded, if in a fight someone knew IF a punch would land it would be impressive. Beyond that if you knew exactly which knuckle and exactly when the punch would land you would be so hyper coordinated and have such godlike timing that you would be the champion of every combat sport that allowed punching. You have to prepare your entire hand and forearm to make contact with your foe.
>>87986
Crazy and wrong
>>99105
If you are worried about preserving your hands in a street fight that could end in you getting stabbed or your head stomped on. People often continue to punch after they break their hands and only realise after the fight is over especially in a street fight (when do you ever see a street fighter clutching their hand after a fight of stop fighting to attend to a broken hand?). If you are UFC champion calibre martial artist and work as a bouncer (Bas Rutten) you can afford to be 20% less effective by using open hand strikes when roughing up drunk people at a bar. If your aren't grossly outmatching your opponent you can not afford to not use your most powerful weapons in a street fight. And if you are grossly outmatching them then who cares what you use... trip them then clown them with spinning hook kicks and StreetFighter V moves.
>>
>>101304
If a pro boxer fought guys in a street fight he could potentially obliterate his hand. The guys who usually get in street fights are guys who can hardly punch. A guy who can punch hard could lose a fight by smashing his fist against a guys forehead. Most guys should punch but only because they cant punch hard enough to put themselves in much of a chance anyway to break their hand.
>>
>>101433
He could also get literally killed. No pro boxer is worrying about breaking his hands in a street fight.
>>
>>101457
Can you explain why a fist has any advantage over a palm strike
>>
>>101457
If you break your hand you will lose the fight most likely by now having one less weapon and a a lot of pain. And i do not want to hear the bullshit argument of adrenaline stopping pain in a fight. That is very obviously a myth. If it were true then body shots and especially liver shots would never end a fight due from shear pain but they do.

Fighting with a closed fist will leave you at a severe disadvantage if you are capable of putting a lot of force behind a strike. Peoples fists are just not meant to punch. A hand is incredibly delicate.
>>
>>101483
How many street fights end with a punch KO?
How many end with someone breaking their hand? I have seen countless street fights and countless more videos and the only time I see broken hands is when the other guy is KOed badly and leaking from his head so fucked up he will never be the same again. If you break your hand on someone else face or head, you win the fight.

If someone breaks their FIST on someone else's HEAD or much worse FACE there is a 80-90% chance the other guy is knocked out cold and a 100% chance they at least get knocked down.

There are different types of pain, the liver shot puts your body in shock. Bone breaks are infamously slow when it comes to pain coming on .
>Plenty of people have tales to tell of tripping up, then spending the rest of the day skiing, walking or even dancing, without realising they had a fracture. More often than not, broken bones do hurt, a lot, but if a break is small you might not notice it.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181005-five-myths-about-broken-bones

>>101482
Right now palm yourself in the head and then use your knuckles which one hurts more? If you think palm strikes are more powerful than the most common strike in across martial arts and combat sports you are delusional.

I challenge you to find a video of someone breaking their hand in a street fight then losing because of it. Genuinely curious if you can find one, if you can I guarantee I can find 10 where it goes like this:

FIST -> HEAD -> KO
>>
>>101485
Most people arent mma fighters and neither are you though landing a good head punch is hard, chest, gut shots, and leg kicks. The only people that can take these are trained fighters. Punch a guy in the chest then kick him in the knee and he'll be alternating between wheezing for air and screaming in pain. Helps to do the oldboy technique for a couple years too, i have a lovely steel beam running through my apartment.
>>
>>87832
When using a fist, yes, you should clench just at the moment of impact to ensure everything is properly aligned & you are using the densest formation of the hand you can.

Your feet should be firmly planted at the moment of the strike unless using a specific technique that requires otherwise, i.e. a superman punch. Typically though, having your feet planted ensures your kinetic chain is closed at the moment if the strike, enabling you to put your weight behind it. This varies from fighter to fighter, some are sloppier than others. I would encourage you to watch matches and focus on just the feet to get a feel for how footwork corresponds to punching. Especially boxing matches. Pro boxers footwork for maximum punching force is par excellence bar none.

However, a fist, especially an unprotected one is the most injury prone hand formation their is. When striking a hard target, use your palms, and reserve punches for soft targets.
>>
>>101483
>liver shots would never end a fight due from shear pain but they do
Liver shots don't shut you down because of sheer pain you mong, it's because they overwhelm the nervous system.

>the bullshit argument of adrenaline stopping pain in a fight. That is very obviously a myth
You don't knwo anything about anything, please refrain from posting.
>>
>>101734
Yes. The pain overwhelms the nervous system. Just like many other body shots you see like these. Literally just pain kos.
https://youtu.be/HT1wBOdIYos
>>
>>101485
Street fights are all mostly done by people who are not very good at punching. So that really doesnt matter if some random thug clenches his fist and knocks someone out b
>>
>>101485
this dude is retarded. people break their hands all the time in street fights, you can't tell a broken hand just from a video lol. even professional fighters break their hands all the time and that's with wraps and gloves. sean omalley breaks his hands every single fight he has and doesn't even put his opponent out every time. floyd mayweather used to break his hands often even with big 10oz gloves on. bareknuckle dudes break their hands fucking constantly.
i don't agree that breaking your hand is going to end the fight, that's also bullshit, but if you broke your hand on someone's head it's because you threw a shitty punch in the first place. it's not going to knock them out. tyson fury was using his forehead to stuff deontay wilder's punches in the last fight of their trilogy and he broke deontay's hand with the technique. it's actually not uncommon to try to stuff punches with the forehead when you watch really high level strikers fighting in close. the forehead is thick and dense and the wrist is not
>>
>>87873
Unironically this, can serve as axe, hammer, flat screwdriver, crowbar, windowbreaker, my imagination stops here

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.