[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 115 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: John-Danaher-5-649x1024.jpg (69 KB, 649x1024)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu General

Smoothcomp
https://smoothcomp.com

BeltChecker
https://www.beltchecker.com

Previous thread
>>66355
>>
>>86588
Doing nothing but sparring is good at getting you accustomed to a real match and acting cool under pressure. It's far from the most efficient way to learn things.
>>
>>87372
Background.
Gym is full of collegiate wrestlers and +200 pounders.

This one guy has hurt me 3x now, once with a wild throw that popped my finger, a face crank that cracked my jaw and made me feel like I was gonna lose a few teeth and then again yesterday with a bad neck crank that cracked my neck. This guy is clearly a skilled wrestler and I cant tell if hes just real strong or always rolling at 90%+

I never get hurt rolling with the other classmates. Including the big bastards and college wrestlers
Is it just me thats not skilled enough? or is this an issue with this particular person?
>>
>>87379
It's normal for BJJ classes to go all "learning by doing". It doesn't work for most people though.
>>
>>87383
Competitive people are like that. Either don't roll with him or fight back harder.
>>
>>87388
No don’t roll with him at all. Retards like that are the ones who injure you two days before a competition because they’re trying to “win” at sparring. I have more fucking injuries from sparring than I do from competition and that shit is not worth it.
>>
Started at a new gym after 9 months off the mats. 4th class tonight, have been rolling great, gas tank not so bad, muscle memory going well, handled myself well against the resident white belts and some blue belts.

Got absolutely handled by a 1 stripe blue belt tonight. Felt great. Can't wait to get back monday
>>
>>87388
A lot of competitive people are real picky about their sparring partners for this very reason. Injuries in training cost you performance both long and short term. Going hard as fuck in sparring is helpful to a point, but the drawbacks are often worse than the benefits. And eventually pretty much everyone regrets it. Even champions and real hard bastards like Wanderlei Silva.

Gonna echo the advice that you don't roll with this guy. You have to prioritize your own health and avoid reckless people.
>>
>>87388
To paraphrase what Danaher says somewhere, I think in an instructional:
>In no competitive sports other than certain martial arts do people practice at competitive intensity. You don't see football or hockey teams prepare for a game by simulating an entire match at full intensity.

Also your hormonal response isn't even activated the way it is in competition so why bother
>>
>>87621
This. Going that hard in sparring is ALWAYS stupid. Sparring is for training technique, not intensity.
>>
you guys all sound like wimps and I'm going to blast double and seoi nage you all into the dirt
>>
>>87650
Sure you will, white belt.
>>
>>87653
I got 4 stripes on my white belt for a reason buddy
>>
>>87665
I know this is probably a joke but I honestly can’t tell because I know people who are like this.
>>
Is there a courteous way to ask my instructor to see the curriculum (if there even is one) or in some way be told in advance what we'll go over in the next class?

My current gym only offers two classes BJJ per week, along with wrestling and intermediate no-gi, and from prior experience I know that I learn better if I'm able to look up videos before heading to class so that I don't have to do all the information processing at once. I want to make the most of my time spent training as there's not many classes offered.
>>
>>87383
Pick better training partners.
>>
>>87372
Gents, I'm starting BJJ on Friday, any tips/general advice?
>>
>>87823
Take a shower, wear decent deodorant, clip and file your nails, and brush your teeth and gargle mouthwash.
>>
>>87852
Thank you anon, yeah I don't wanna leave a bad first impression by stinking like shit lmao
>>
>>87854
Also don't show up drunk. People don't like that which always baffles me because they are okay with dudes that come in reeking like a weed dispensary that are barely cogent.
>>
>>87852
Be friendly and for the first week just focus on being totally relaxed, as if you're trying to make ass rape easier on yourself, really make it your top priority. Of course also be polite and helpful as appropriate. It will make the regulars warm up to you quickly and render them more willing to help you in your training later on.

As for the classes just listen to the instructors, follow hygiene protocol and don't talk when the instructor is doing their thing nor grab any water except during water breaks unless your instructor explicitly says that's ok.
>>
Hey guys, do you expect your training partners to file away the callouses on their feet or are you heterosexual?
>>
How do we fix the slam rule? I'm thinking TD points to the lifter and a reset to standing
>>
>>87857
Lol that's me, I've never been to a training session sober lol, and I still catch double legs and get my control time
>>
>>88231
You might have a problem anon
>>
>>88238
no anon I AM the Probrem
>>
>>87383
Update: a week later and my neck is 90%
that guy just won bronze at a comp.

I still can't roll.
Shit blows.

Whats the appropriate way to deny a roll?
Just a hand wave/handshake.
>>
How old are you guys? I'm 21 and I wanna start bjj. I'm just wondering if I'll encounter people my age, younger or mostly older
>>
>>88255
Can you not just talk to him? Jeez
>>
>>88270
Go to your local club and find out dumbass
>>
>>88276
My fault for trying to ask a question
>>
>>88280
Literally yes we don’t know the demographics of your local club, what the fuck were you expecting?
>>
>>88286
Just shut up and let me data mine you niggas
>>
>>87765
Try and check if he's a legit bjj blackbelt first. If he's a champion wrestler he might just be faking bjj by doing all rolling sessions. That way he has the skills to pretend but not to teach drills.
>>
Bros I got a nogi comp coming up next week but I absolutely hate nogi, I just signed up for the sake of competing. I already did like 4 competitions before this but I wanted to know how you guys warm up before a fight?
>>
>>88270
I started literally today and I'm 21, most people were my age. We don't know who will be at your gym though so we can't really say, sorry
>>
>>88270
I get a mixed bag. Young guys coming in and quitting almost immediately. Young guys coming in and rising through the pecking order. Old dudes who are silent, but humble killers. Middle age dudes who have an ego about getting their shit pushed in by a 16 year old or female.
Only one way to find out. Leave your ego at the door. You are at the perfect age to start, Wish I would have at your age.
>>
Started training MMA recently. Need to pick up a mouthguard. Problem is I also use invisalign aligners. Can I use a mouthguard with my aligners in? I noticed ShockDoctor has "braces mouthguards" for people with braces, I wonder if these would be suitable? Or would a cheap boil & bite work fine? Or do I have to take the aligners out and put a mouthguard in every time I need to train (would like to try and avoid this as I already take my aligners out enough during the day)? I know at least one of you has to have some idea about this.
>>
>>88823
Talk to your dentist
>>
>>88270
I started at 23. It totally depends on the gym. A competitive gym will be younger typically, a chill gym will have some older people. Doubt you'll find many that are younger than you in classes.
>>88314
>how you guys warm up before a fight?
I try to just barely break a sweat, it helps me a lot with nerves. Whatever feels good. Drill with someone on the warm up mats, jogging around, shadow-wrestling, etc... Don't get gassed, but definitely get a bit beyond warm. Good luck, no-gi is the best
>>
>>87372
Does anyone have a copy of the instructional that danaher recently released on training safely? It was free but bjjfanatics took it down after 3 days. A share would be much appreciated
>>
File: IMG_20220326_180057.jpg (2.61 MB, 3000x4000)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
>>88831
I won gold and I used to hate no gi xd, now I kind of like it desu. First fight I wrestled the guy for like 3 mins trying to bait him into a singe leg but I managed to get to his back standing up and get him to the ground, took his back, body triangle and choked him. Second fight guy pulled guard instantly and as I was about to pass his guard and go to side he gave his back up lol and I rnc him too
>>
>>88213
I agree. If you lift him up and stay standing for a second, you should award the TD points.
This slam rule is the BJJ equivalent of Judo turtling. It rewards guard pullers.
>>
File: 102.jpg (23 KB, 600x411)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
what's the best place to steal instructionals from
>>
File: EiAw6fTUMAEJVzY.jpg (50 KB, 510x680)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Bros I managed to pull of knee drop ippon seoi nage in practice 2 times a few nights ago and I barely ever tried to do it before because I thought it was too risky for bjj. Any good instructionals on this throw because I want to get good at it cos I noticed that a lot of people leave room for the entry with the common bjj stance where they bent forward. My judo sucks and my wrestling is okayish in defense but when I attack I always try to go for a single leg or taking the back and thats a bit hard to do in gi in my case
>>
>>90303
Check out this chinese website called bilibili, there are lots of instructionals there by top guys
>>
>>90860
> Any good instructionals on this throw because I want to get good at it cos I noticed that a lot of people leave room for the entry with the common bjj stance where they bent forward
As a judoka who dabbles in BJJ I 100% agree. I’d also suggest you work on your sacrifice throws like sumi gaeshi and obi-tori gaeshi to counter the bent over defensive stance.

I don’t have any instructionals off hand for drop seoi but I can offer some tips. When you drop try to shoot your body weight underneath and in between their legs rather than in front like you would for a standing shoulder throw. Also, if you get good at the “koga step” footwork it becomes an even more useful throw because you start throwing in the opposite direction they’re expecting. Also, never give up on a drop seoi. Even if it feels like they’re not going don’t stop driving until they switch positions. A lot of time you can still finish the throw even if it feels like they’ve stopped your momentum. Just keep driving forward and never stop.
>>
>>90869
Thanks for the advice, also what is koga step footwork? I can't really find any good results on google for that term. Also I'll check out sacrifice throws but I tried them a few times and I was very bad at them plus I'm a smaller guy so I'm kind of scared of them desu
>>
>>90860
>>90869
>>90885
hi i'm really dumb (4 year 4 stripe white belt) I like tomoe nage and sukui nage for BJJ they eliminate the guard if your land them right.
>>
>>90885
In traditional seoi nage footwork, assuming you’re throwing right handed, you step with your right foot first diagonally towards your opponents right side then follow with your left foot turning your body counter clockwise until your back is facing your opponent. Koga does his turning step by first putting left foot towards the opponent as if you were throwing left handed, but instead of turning the shortest distance clockwise, you instead turn all the way around your foot counter clockwise to throw right. This spin both generates a lot of power for throwing, but also tricks your opponent into thinking you’re throwing left when you’re throwing right, or vice Versa if you do the reverse.
>>
I'm a blue belt & train at a very high level gym (coaches with ADCC medals, training partners that have won trials) and it's kicking my ass. I know that being a blue belt doesn't mean shit, but jfc I rarely get the opportunity to do anything besides retain guard or escape bad positions.
Is this detrimental to my development? I study in my free time and never get to work anything unless I'm drilling. Sometimes I feel like beating up and working things on a white belt would be beneficial. I guess I could start going to open mats, I just don't feel like paying
>>
>>90902
>but instead of turning the shortest distance clockwise, you instead turn all the way around your foot counter clockwise to throw right
Do I place my left food more to the left side or to the right side from my perspective? I mean if I place it to the right so I can pivot around it place my right foot where it would naturally go once I drop to my knees? Also thanks for the answer, I'll try this out tomorrow
>>90903
Aren't there any people similar to you in skill there or white belts in begginers classes? I'm blue too and once in a while I'll go to begginers classes to try random stuff to see if it works, but yeah ik what it feels like to get your ass kicked by teammates and it sucks
>>
>>90908
Your first step should be with your left foot diagonally towards your right (their left foot). Again this is assuming you intend to throw right handed.
>>
>>90861
Thanks for replying man, I usually use bilibili or just google "instructional + torrent" but was thinking maybe cool anons have some private tracker that we don't know about.
Aside from that I only have the mega that was posted in last thread with Danaher vids.
>>
>>90903
I've been in a similar position, going from being the prodigy of a small town hobbyist gym to sucking ass at an accomplished competitive gym in a major city.
I still did well against guys my own size and belt, even against hobbyist guys with several years of training on me, but got crushed by the guys who were competing.
What I did was to focus solely on my defense when rolling with them until I got to a level where I could confidently repel and begin to counter their attacks, really just reflecting on what I'd done wrong and how they were usually attacking, then disassembling the rolls in my head so that I could research positions and techniques until I had built an arsenal of responses to the problems they presented.
>>
Does anyone have a weight lifting program that I could try out? I'm 180cm and 65kg, I would say I'm stronger than average for my weight but I want to build a little bit of muscles and add strenght plus I feel like it would help with bulletproofing my body from injuries. I have acces to a bench, pullup bar, stretch bands, pull up bar and russian bells. Should I just follow some judoka weight program, any advice would be helpful
>>
>>91090
General program for strength:
>>>/t/1109692

If you want to go deeper into training for speed there is a plyometrics folder in the main torrent. There is also a good book in there called scientific principles of strength training. I'm sure you can find it elsewhere too. understanding principles behind exercise then

This video may also give you some ideas
https://youtu.be/3JNwlqx3Z6w
>>
>>91171
Thank you
>>
I could beat the shit out of everyone here

Fucking losers
>>
File: 1587139004665.gif (1.46 MB, 217x217)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB GIF
>saw a picture of former student unironically wearing a Craig Jones only fans rashguard who has an Only Fans
>>
>>91090
1. Start a program with the equipment you have/calisthenics, but I recommend just getting a gym membership so you can do the big three lifts (squat, dl, bench)
2. Buy a scale and install MyFitnessPal to track your calories for a few weeks
3. Make note of the caloric intake that keeps you at your current weight while working out, this will be your maintenance caloric intake
4. Increase the caloric intake by 100 - 500 kcal/day, start on the low end, increase depending on how you're recovering
5. Adjust your macronutrient intake to suit your daily activities and the goals you have, I would suggest starting with roughly 2g of protein per 1kg of your bodyweight (or 1g per 1lb) and keeping the fat and carbohydrate intake fairly in line with eating what you're used to to make it an easier thing to habitualize
6. Do this until you plateau in your lifts

Watch pic related and his brother's videos for BJJ specific lifting tips, he's won gold at Pan Ams couple of times iirc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zHegAfdi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1izkd0ArKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKTdclEsyls
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyPHSeQCqHkPKY4_0RWPUbw/videos
https://smoothcomp.com/en/profile/56760
https://www.sjjif.com/ranking/rankMemberDetails/163481
https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twSessionId=ftuxwcufrh&twId=1555491096

Watch this channel for very in-depth info on lifting and dieting
>Dr. Mike Israetel is a Ph.D. in Sport Physiology, and training and nutrition expert, BJJ purple belt, competitive bodybuilder
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyqKj7LwU2Ru4UZgHYsjvHbRsV-qsewla
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyqKj7LwU2Rs2D0jBMBTKU2oitQo5sk-r
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyqKj7LwU2RukxJbBHi9BtEuYYKm9UqQQ

I especially recommend the really old video lecture series on nutrition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szzo5Uy5aQU
>>
>>91325
This is good stuff
>>
>>88255
>Autism
>>
>>91262
Not me bro, not me
>>
>>91325
Thank you, this is very helpfull
>>
>>91501
based
>>
I've had arthritis or some shit in both of my hands for years. After a match or hard rolling I lose all of my gripping ability and my hands go numb and I can't move them. Any advice for stretches or something I can do in between matches?
>>
>>92308
I use one of those massage guns on my forearms and it's incredible. Also, you probably have a lot of tension in your back/traps. Use a lacrosse ball or something. Bicep stretches helped me too.
In general, just try to stretch and do more mobility work
>>
[spoiler]where can I torrent instructionals[/spoiler]
>>
>>92308
try doing finger extensions
>>
Going to my first tournament soon,any tips amigos?
>>
>>92817
don't warm up too much, get a good sleep the night before, You're there to compete roll like that.
>>
>>92308
Stop training in the gi
>>
>>92817

Belt?

If White hold half guard with underhook as much as you can then just finish the sweep.
>>
Anons, I'm early 40s and mainly do powerlifting, will I get my ass raped if I show up to a class? Worried about gassing and then having some twink break all my arms.
>>
How much $$ are your guys' gyms?
>>
>>93020
Brazilian here, like $20
>>92946
Yes you will, you are stronger than anyone there for like 20 seconds, thats what it takes for you to finish a set, then you wont be able to keep your strenght and will slowly sucumb to the chokes of a skinny purple belt
>>91090
Eat more as you train, do basic calisthenics shit
If you want to build REAL muscle and look aesthetic i sugest you to become serious about lifting instead of training bjj
>>90903
Getting smashed again and again will turn you into an unit, i'm the smallest guy on my gym at 65kgs, the 2nd smallest is 80, when we visit other gyms or other gyms visit us i ALWAYS smash guys my size and belt
>>
>>93020
$500 for 6 months, small gym
>>
>>93026
>>93032
Nice. I've looked at a few gyms in here in Cali and they were $100+ per month...
>>
>>92946
yeah, but if you remain consistent you will improve
>>
>>92339
>>92689
>>92865
Should have specified it's nerve injuries caused by prolonged work with vibrating tools in extreme cold temperatures, nothing caused by BJJ or related to tendons, skeletal or muscle damage.
I'm doing these exercises and they might be helping a bit idk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUOfgSCXxzE
Still feel like I lose all connection with the nerve firings in my hands after about five minutes of hard rolling even though my gripping strength itself doesn't diminish, I just can't make the connection to actually make a grip closed shut tighter than a C grip.
>>
>>92424
mma-torrents has a bunch of stuff, but of course I would only download free and open source content and recommend you do the same
>>
>>92946
getting your ass kicked is part of the fun. and yes, tiny twinks WILL beat you over and over again. tap or snap. if you stick with it you can become a beast tho
>>
I'm looking to buy a new gi, I own some tatami gi in black and white but its the same version just different colors.
I found some Adidas Gi for like 50 euros where I live brand new and I heard Adidas has good judo gis so should I get this one?
https://prideshop.eu/en/shop/sports/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-bjj/bjj-uniform-and-clohting/bjj-gi-rookie-adidas/
I just want a gi that won't shrink like my last one did over time. Ive been using this tatami one for like a year and a half or so and it looks like a childs gi now but the black one is still fine and they are the same model. Any low budget gi recommendations?
>>93020
East Europe, 30 euros 5 days a week classes and also gym whenever we want to included
>>
>>93114
why the fuck are my local gyms so unafforadble
>>
I got cut from my gym today. What should i do, I worked there and got to train for free.
>>
>>93192
Why did you get cut?
>>
>>93153
he lives in eastern europe, in these countries 30 euro is like 150 euro for a westerer if you consider income levels
>>
>>93217
okay it's a long story and i totally did wrong
>me get to class late (this okay, i clean up after and a wagie of the gym)
>drill and get first rolls with no problems
>roll with girl
>play from kesa gitame (let her move but maintain the position, i like that spot sue me)
>finish roll she gets of the mat with sad dumb lady face
>roll with her boyfriend
>he catches an armbar and goes 100 crank at the jump
>i escape but my elbow popped
>i get mad and start aggressively going for wristlocks and finger breaks ;) after i can opener him real good
>he catches me in a straight ankle and i feel him go for a 100 crank again
>start hitting him in the body like angry ape with thuds loud enough to hear over the generic nigger pop music
>purple belt pulls me off
>big drama show with lots of yelling, his girl crying
>me: "fuck you get your gloves on"
>him:"....HITTING...ON MY GIRL FOOL" or something like that
>me:"i didn't touch your girl dawg" This is a lie i had just held her down in a lazy kesa gitame
>whole exchange from the monkey mauling to the seperation lasts only a few seconds
>coach basically says i instigated it by not "knowing who i was rolling with"
>me angry and trying not to cry since i didn't get to really explain what happen, give coach back his key, say I'm out
>coach gets angry and has a screaming match with me about dumbshit
>end with me riding my back away while a crazy gi in sweaty pajamas is yelling at me about smoking weed
lmao tldr, me a spergy 4 stripe whitbelt that works at the gym for the past 4 years and going to class for 5, had an aggressive roll with a bluebelt who thought i did something to his frumpy girlfriend and tried to hurt and went autistic monkey rage on his as till we got separated. I only hit him in the body. I should have kicked his head or and punch him in his mouth i think
>>
>>93254
Have you tried talking with the coach now that tensions have cooled? That guy sounds like a cunt btw assuming what you’re saying is true he’s the one at fault even though you shouldn’t have escalated
>>
>>93260
Yeah it sounds like your coach is mad at your bad judgement. Once you knew this guy was being aggro with you over personal shit you should have stopped the roll and sorted things out. Defuse the situation by just apologizing to them if that's what it takes. Bullshit drama is bad for business and BJJ is already something normies get nervous about. They don't want to see rolling escalate into a real fight.

Try giving your coach a dial and explaining what happened and that you understand that you fucked up. Might not take you back as an employee but it'll at least set the record straight and unburn a bridge.
>>
>>93254
I love this. I want to see this adapted in film
>>
>>93254
You fucked up by being a pussy about the whole situation. You had two choices after he cranked that armbar. Either you take the L be the bigger man and defuse the situation or you start beating the shit out of him without hesitation. You pussyfooted and made yourself look like a bitch which is why your coach yelled at you. It makes him look bad if he trains pussies like you.
>>
>>93270
i knew i should have staright up just blacksplosive slammed him and beat on his teeth
>>
>>93281
straight
>>
>>93268
I wish i had recorded it too b
>>
>>93270
Autistic take
>>
>>93284
what do you think then bro?
>>
>>93290
> Either you take the L be the bigger man and defuse the situation or you start beating the shit out of him without hesitation.
I agree those are your only real options even if the latter is retarded
> You pussyfooted and made yourself look like a bitch which is why your coach yelled at you. It makes him look bad if he trains pussies like you.
This is autism. Your trainer doesn’t want you brawling on the mats over personal sleights you retard.
>>
>>93281
LOL anon do you have anger issues?
>>
>>93306
no anon i'm fine, I just got a littl scared i was gonna have broken limbs lol
>>
american are very retarded they impossible even play in pajamas without make civil war and get fired from job
game over for you
>>
>>93330
Go back to Duolingo you retard
>>
>>93340
go back to your club
oh wait you banned
>>
>>93344
That's not me anon, I'm the one that's banned
>>
I want to try BJJ but I’m a short, out of shape dweeb and nervous as fuck. The folks at the local club seem nice but I’m not athletic or have a sports background.
>>
>>93374
And? So what?
>>
>>93374
I'm the same. I'm 5'4 slightly overweight dweeb with social anxiety. I'm gonna go to my first class tomorrow. I can tell you how it goes anon. :)
>>
>>93394
Be my canary in the coal mine, anon. Praying for you. You got this.
>>
>>93254
If what you are saying is true it isn't your fault but in the end you handled the situation wrong because it is bad for business. When I was like 1 year into bjj and a white belt I rolled with a whitebelt beginner who had like 30 kilos on me and was 25cm taller than me and as soon as I saw that this guy was gonna potentially injure me I told him I don't wanna roll anymore and stopped it right there. I'm really competitive but it means nothing if I get injured while rolling so it's best to leave the ego behind sometimes.
>>
>>93398
I agree anon, thank you for understanding though
wagmi
>>
>>93395
Will do! I'll post here tomorrow.
>>
>>93395
Ok I just got back from the class. It was a no-gi all-levels class so the instructor taught me the basics separately from the group. No one was mean but the instructor was a lil intimidating (spoke in monotone voice and didn't make facial expressions). Also I was the only female in the entire gym and I felt awkward the whole time. I think I'll find a gym with specifically beginner classes or take private lessons lol. Maybe it will be better for you since you said your gym was super welcoming and you're a guy. But from my experience I wouldn't recommend taking an all-levels class if you're socially anxious like me because I felt weird since everyone else knew what to do and I didn't.
>>
>>93486
There’s a lot of benefit to going to all levels classes as a beginner. When I first got started in judo there was no beginners class and I am now thankful for it. Training with the experienced folks forces you to learn techniques the right way instead of bad habits that only work on noobs who don’t know any better. Everyone’s been there as the noob, nobodies going to want to exclude you for it.
>>
>>93486
You are probably overthinking it. Unless this is some super competitive gym with a ton of high level prospects who are prepping for a tournament, nobody is annoyed with newbies. Working with newbies is actually a decent experience for lower belts because you finally aren't getting your ass kicked and can work on some offense. Unless you just aren't having fun at all, I would keep going.
>>
The only reason why I do BJJ is so I can hospitalize people who hurt my feelings, rape women and resist arrest. I am proud to be a coward.
>>
>>93546
bro you are literally me, I also only box and do muay thai so i can fuck up jiujitsu men who fuck with me. I will become the most elite rapist on the planet
>>
>>93486
>No one was mean but the instructor was a lil intimidating (spoke in monotone voice and didn't make facial expressions).
If the instructor was all smiles and sounded enthusiastic you would tell your girl friends the bjj instructor is a perv and that he was hitting on you
I'm a bjj instructor and i deny women in my classes just because of the chance i can touch your crotch with my knee while teaching a guard pass and get a sexual assault charge
>>
>>93667
>you would tell your girl friends the bjj instructor is a perv and that he was hitting on you
Oh fuck off, no I wouldn't. Smiling and being friendly to a newcomer is perfectly normal.
>I'm a bjj instructor
Mm-hmm, sureee you are.
>>
>>93702
>Oh fuck off, no I wouldn't. Smiling and being friendly to a newcomer is perfectly normal.
You know im right
>Mm-hmm, sureee you are.
You still wouldnt be allowed in my class and will quit in 2 weeks
>>
>>93716
>You know im right
No, I have a normal, well-adjusted view of the 2 sexes. Being welcoming to a newcomers is normal human behavior.
>You still wouldnt be allowed in my class
You aren't a bjj instructor lol
>>
Is "you pulled my skin!" a reasonable complaint to make drama about when you are wearing a kimono?

A blue belt that has already thrown and slammed me, which always hard spar and tries harder than normal, got really whiny because I accidentally pulled his skin below the kimono when trying to sweep
He shouted two times so I though I did something to him with my leg, I moved away but kept normally holding his kimono, what made him even more dramatic

How someone that can endure a championship get so mad at a thing so minuscule? He already got mad at one day I had a half mm untrimmed nail, which he though was hurting his skin and made him forever bitter about it

I have some grip strength but obviously not like Hanayama from Baki, apparently I pulled his arm skin which is also not a overly sensitive region, and the kimono is pretty thick
>>
>>93753
Getting pinched under the kimono is normal when you roll with lower belts, I'm assuming you're a white belt. Maybe this guy is a super-feeler or something but in my experience it doesn't hurt bad enough to get angry about. Sounds like a whiner and a pussy desu. I would just avoid working with this guy from now on.
>>
>>93773
Yes, I'm a white belt
It's weird for me to think someone can take harder things but not a mere accidental pinch, no one other than him complained about this

The only problem of avoiding this is that we can't choose our spar partner, and I only tried to sweep that strongly because:
>he got on mount and positioned to do an armbar
>I turned by body sideways and held my hands together
>waited for him to move to try a sweep
>instead of him doing something, he gets that confused/annoyed expression because I was doing nothing
>before he whines about that I tried to pull his arm down to get him off balance, but rapidly so he can't catch it
>then I do a hip movement and this happened

It's annoying that if you go too hard he complain and if you go too soft he also complain. Feels bad that I already admired this guy abilities, the other people at least only complained when I go too soft, so probably the problem is him. I will simply ignore that and try to avoid dramatic people then
>>
>>93778
some guys are just like that, the reality is bro a lot of people leave and find new gyms or stop training all together. If you stay with it long enough you'll either find a new place to be or he will, or you guys will become friends, maybe? Finding a new gym is a real pain so if you guys keep having problems you should really just plainly voice your complaints and try to squash problems before they happen. I wish i was that smart to just say no to a guy and not roll with him or with a lady cause jesus, if you roll a little to hard with some bitch and she has a boyfriend there you might just end up with real problems. I hate jiu jitsu people
>>
File: 20220427_194907.jpg (1.5 MB, 3264x2448)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>93719
Bjj is a martial art with too much rubbing, now combine it with the modern women every second of their day looking for an excuse to do a tiktok telling about the sexual harassment they suffered today
Not a good combination
And yeah, i'm an instructor you either like it or not
>>
>>93808
Do you know anyone this has happened to? What has caused you to become this paranoid? I've never known a BJJ instructor to be so worried about a sexual harassment claim that he outright bans women from classes. Not rolling with women I guess, maybe, although that still seems extreme.
>>
>>93817
>Do you know anyone this has happened to?
Yes, the professor who gave me my black belt and allowed me to teach in his gym
And i dont make it clear that its a ban, i just try to make it look like the other instructors who teach at the other classes are more beginner friendly while my students are also more hardcore than the usual
So women naturally avoid my classes
I don't say to them "i don't want to teach you" or "you are not allowed" they just naturally either stop training or come to the classes that i am not responsible for
But the other instructors know
>>
>>93808
>the modern women every second of their day looking for an excuse to do a tiktok telling about the sexual harassment they suffered today
You mean the stereotype of a woman you created in your head? Lol fuck off. Anyway, found another gym with multiple women so you can die mad
>picrel
Proves nothing
>>
Best wrestling instructionals for the gi? I love doing the duck under and either taking them down or attacking the back from there but I think I'm missing details in it, any good instructionals on that specifically?
>>
>>93822
you're making a bad martial art choice, bitch. I can still rape you even if you know BJJ. As a matter of fact if we ever rolled i'd put the pace on you so hard you'd be making the same kind of pathetic groans and moans you make in bed
>>
>>93827
watch some judo videos breaking down kuzushi. I know it seems like a weird turn but once you figure out what the grips do you'll be able to use them like you would with a wreslitng collar tie. Just snap em down bapa
>>
>>93822
>>93862
You both sound like faggots
>>
>>93862
>"I am scared of being MeToo'd!"
>"I can still rape you"

I wonder why you are so paranoid of being MeToo'd
>>
>>93864
I think the guy giving rape threats to someone for wanting to try a martial art is the bigger faggot
>>
>>93887
He's a typical Brazilian monkey. The worst part about BJJ is that it's even remotely connected to those "people." Keenan was right to drop the Brazilian prefix. I bet his instructor really is a rapist and he's just mad that he got called out. Brazilians circle the wagons like no other and are literal gay rapists.
>>
>>93925
I said her martial arts choice was bad, why should a woman who is weaker and smaller than a man go to the floor where he's going to have an advantage over her
>>
>>93940
By that logic, why should a woman learn ANY martial art, or sport in general, if men will always be physically stronger?
>>93935
yea he's definitely from the 3rd world. civilized people don't talk like that
>>
>>93950
NTA, but

Woman will always have psychical disadvantage in sports and martial arts, a few weeks after I started bjj, I remember a more experienced woman that couldn't take herself from my guard, I could stall the entire sparring if I wanted to. In grappling, having less weight is a HUGE disadvantage in both sexes, someone bigger and taller could do that to me roo

You can compensate with technique, but it needs a lot of technique. I wouldn't be able to do that with a black belt woman

And that anon is right, no-gi sparring with woman feels very awkward, in bjj you have to push your weight on the person, squeeze them, carry them, sometimes I feel awkward even with males
Inside a guard the crotch may touch the butt, on side control your breasts would be on his chest, going from mount to armbar the guy would push the middle of your chest with both hands to move his legs freely, on a triangle choke your face would end pushed on his crotch, people that aren't used to it can think of sexual harrassement

Also, it can go beyond these normal movements, fights aren't a controlled process. I accidentally lifted, in an ecchi anime fashion, that women kimono when trying to sweep her, it was purely unintentional, I meant to hold her belt but it was loose, the shirt also got in the way and I saw her bra for a moment. Nothing happened because that women wasn't retarded and knew what I tried to do but imagine that happening with a beginner

A overly friendly person doing these things, even being non-malicious actions could spark some unintended drama. I mean, just the guy pointing that made you cause a drama
>>
>>93935
>He's a typical Brazilian monkey. The worst part about BJJ is that it's even remotely connected to those "people."
I bet it sucks that the brazilians mop the floor with the best foreigners of the world, damn i could mop the floor with you
>>
>>93953
>just the guy pointing that made you cause a drama
No, what "caused a drama" is him telling me that I wasn't allowed to want a welcoming instructor because I'd inevitably accuse him of sexual assault like every "modern woman." Then he sends me a rape threat but I'm the one "causing drama" kek.
>>
>>93957
lmao what planet are you on? The best schools and athletes are all American. All of you monkeys that can afford it set up a school here. No big deal. In a few generations we'll be done with native Brazilians. It'll be a cultural improvement.
>>
>>93959
>lmao what planet are you on? The best schools and athletes are all American.
Then why are brazilians winning world championships? Yeah the brazilians is being removed of it worldwide, but the thing is we are still winning
>>
>>93960
The future of BJJ is not Brazilian. This is a positive development. All the world class schools will migrate to America and their children will leave behind the shit flinging, favela dwelling ways of their ancestors. Frankly, I don't like being mean to Brazilians, some of you are human, but more typically we get people like you. Threatening to rape random women for the crime of taking interest in the sport. Clearly, primate behavior is not just limited to the Gracie clan. But is more linked to the Brazilian character. Like I said though, it won't be forever.
>>
File: heaven.jpg (138 KB, 1000x1000)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>93958
I'm pretty sure you can find a nice all women gym, where I'm from tho we only have one gym like that in my country. I was thinking about this the other night because in my gym we also have kids classes and there are girls in those classes that destroy the boys and now they will go to all womens classes I think, anyways I was thinking that their progress would slow down because they aren't sparring with stronger people than themselves to push themselves to their full potential. Maybe it's stupid idk cos I go to begginers classes too sometimes just to try new stuff on white belts and see how they will react but I wouldn't keep improving if I just sparred with them all the time. What do other anons think about this? Can women in bjj reach their full potential if they only roll with other women?
>>
>>93962
>>93958
okay but bjj literally put you in the path of my penis, also if she did judo or boxing she would be better equip the deal with my rape attack
>>
>>93966
Stop raping people
>>
>>93962
>Threatening to rape random women for the crime of taking interest in the sport
The guy threatening rape was another person, i stopped replying after the belt pic and explaining what happened to my instructor, came back just to say brazilians win championships
I'm pretty sure the guy who comented about rape is a first worlder civilized person
>>
>>93967
no
>>
>>93968
yo this is correct, but also incorrect since I'm a full blooded beaner living in califas
>>
>>93966
This man LITERALLY can't stop raping women. Truly an ape brain.
>>
>>93973
I must rape
>>
>>93963
I mean this implies that everyone who wants to get into BJJ wants to go to elite competitions or competitions at all. For all we know femanon might just want to have a way to stay active in a way she finds fun. Maybe reaching full potential is secondary to just enjoying the overall experience.
>>
>>93979
then she should do something where people don't stick her head up their ass so they can break her shoulder
>>
>>93979
Yeah i guess what you're saying is true, I didn't really think of it like that when I was asking the question
>>
>>93986
You don't get to decide what sports other people want to participate in ape man
>>93991
For sure I'm an elite level competition guy as well and love tournaments for sports I play so I get stuck in that mindset as well a lot
>>
>>93925
Im not saying one or the other isn’t a bigger gayer faggot, just that you’re both obnoxious attention whores and should quit shitting up the thread
>>
>>93963
I couldn't find one sadly
>>93979
>way to stay active in a way she finds fun
Exactly this anon
>>93996
takes one to know one
>>
I WILL RAPE YOU ALLL AND YOUR COACH AND THEI DOGS
t. Women who wants to do jiujitsu for fun
>>
>>93997
>takes one to know one
You just blow in from Reddit? You ought to go back, hole.
>>
>>94002
>Will rape dogs
>t.woman
You already fuck dogs even without doing jiu jitsu, you disgusting creature.
>>
G'morgen dear Besetzer how about we abandon the feminism and have some constructive discussions about the sport
>>
>>94027
That isn't me retard
>>
>>93254
stupid drug addict
>>
>>94145
weed isn't a drug, you steroid monkey
>>
>>94153
it literally is a drug you fucking asshat nigger, it's the patently most druggy drug there is, ask anybody to name a drug and most people will say weed, the fact you get so defensive you throw groundless accusations about any other substance or medicine just shows how fucking wrong you faggot zombie eyed dipshits subconsciously know you are

smoke your nigger drug all you want but you make yourself out a deserving murder victim every time you fucking retards say "I'm just self medicating bro" or "it's not a drug dude alcohol is way worse man it makes people violent frfr"

not the guy you're replying to
>>
WEED AIN'T NO DRUG MASSUH LOOKY HERE, NA SURELY THIS AIN'T NO DRUG THIS JUST LIKE DEMS COTTON BUDS WEZ BEEN PICKING FO YOUS HUWHY FOLKS

NAWSIR AIN'T NOTHIN' WRONG BOUT THIS HERE GREEN HERB
>>
>>94182
>>94184
i'm a white anglo saxon protestant, and i stay smoking that loud with my niggas you heard
>>
>>94182
so weed is a drug because other people say it's a drug?
>>
How do I go about finding a sponsor? Should I just enter as many competitions as possible and post pics to instagram or what? I hate uploading to instagram, I just stalk people on there, anyone sponsored in here?
>>
>>94278
how many insgram followers do you have? How much footy do you have? Have you won anything big? all that matters and you should make a highlight real and send it to companies. Be like the skateboarders, film a sponser me tape
>>
>>94279
I did like 5 comps and have 3 gold medals and little to not footage, however im planning to compete as much as possible this year
>Be like the skateboarders, film a sponser me tape
Pretty good idea, ty
>>
>>94278
Spread that bussy for some real oil rich araps. That's how ADCC got started.
>>
>>94240
I’m saying this as someone who occasionally enjoys a joint in my free time, weed is a drug because it objectively is you retard. It’s not good but effects the way your brain works. That’s a drug. Just be honest with yourself.
>>
>>94355
Wanna match up some time? I like smoking with people
>>
>>94385
For sure brah. You can smoke my pole after we roll.
>>
>>94429
only if you can tap me and out wrestle me bapa, i only fuck men that can beat me up
>>
Why do I always hurt my shoulder blades when I do rolls?
>>
>>90303
rutracker , btdig
>>
>>94470
You probably spike your shoulder into the ground or flop all your weight onto your upper back. It should be smooth, the pressure should be distributed across your whole back as you roll, there shouldn't be a really impactful landing.
>>
>>94470
>>94523
Adding to this it’s important to stretch yourself out and reach forward as you roll. A lot of noobs just throw themselves straight downwards which is why they end up hurting their shoulders.

Try rolling while holding onto a yoga ball, it will force you to stretch out your body
>>
>>94552
>>94523
>>94470
difeerent anon, if you have some grass and sweats you can practice your rolls on there and if you wrok it really slow it helps do it really fast :D 4
T.stripe white belt dumb ass looking for a gym
>>
How many classes till I stop being awful at everything?
>>94523
>>94552
>>94564
Thank you anons.. I have light bruises on one of my shoulders.
>>
>>88255
Virgin version:
"Can we just flow roll? Low intensity cus I'm just trying to get the moves down"

Chad version:
"Dude you gotta chill out and not crank the shit out of my neck, it's training not competition"
>>
>>94633
>How many classes till I stop being awful at everything?
Never ends
>>
>>94649
lol. this. there are probably 100 guys in the pro circuit who aren't routinely humbled in practice and competitions.

it reminds me of something an old guitar teacher told me. people who are self-critical tend to improve more than people who aren't. unfortunately, as you get better you just become a better critic. embrace the learning process; you are never done.
>>
>>94739
Thank you anon. Took my 5th class today and felt dumb because I kept getting the movements wrong and can't see myself remembering them very well. But I'll keep showing up.
>>
>>94755
You will evetually unlock a strange 3demisional sense of feeling when i comes to grappling. It'll feel like an out of body experience while you "plan" your next move
>>
>28
>horribly out of shape and around 60lbs overweight
>haven't seriously worked out since before covid
>friend talked me into trying out bjj to get back in shape
>3 major gyms around me and all have heavy competition focus
>decide to try out least competition focused one
>missed beginner BJJ monday class so go to normal one
>it was their more hardcore class
>they were prepping multiple people for competition this weekend
>my dumb ass is there with zero prior experience in any martial art
>nearly throw up 1/3rd the way through
>have to chug watter and just watch for other 2/3rds
>instructors were actually very nice telling me to go at my own pace
>people there were also very nice, and got a ton of help from everyone
>one blue belt who was prepping for the comp went super rough with me and apologized after when he found out it was my first day ever
Well I signed up so they have my ass for at least 12 months
>>
>>94777
Proud of you for taking the first step anon! I'm in a similar place as you. Slightly overweight, was completely sedentary during lockdown. Just started as well.
>>
>>87372
Gracie BJJ bully proof torrent
>>>/t/1137455
>>
File: unnamed (4).jpg (82 KB, 900x900)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>last year
>started to do bjj
>loved the sport and the gym
>the instructor was always making me work harder
>I went from "d-don't touch me" to enduring KoB by heavier people
>the warming up was a lot of drills we had to do correctly and fast
>sometimes the conditioning were doing leg press with someones body then switching
>just a few people attending to classes
>some time passes
>a lot of new people on new year
>things start to get lazier and lazier
>instructor never did the drill thing again, only some static stretches, few push-ups, maybe some neck stretching
>everyone's terribly lazy
>instructor seems to be more and more focused on social media and getting more people to join
>one day I try to complain on a humorous matter, I want to train harder haha!
>shitstorm
>now I'm "arrogant"
>some drama and discussion with a few people in particular
>I decide it's useless to discuss, on the next class I simply act normally
>obviously there would be malice against me on the rolls
>their full malice is still less than what I felt on my first months
>even the instructor malice was less than when another black belt that frequented these classes playfully made me stop being a faggot and forced me to endure the worst positions
>now every class is the worst of both sides, laziness mixed with malice
>not even enough malice to make my heart beat faster and I feel in danger like the last year training
>now every time I go there I feel deep cringe mixed with the uneasiness of a possible relevant threat

How do I find a bjj gym where this won't happen?
It feels like I didn't learn the lesson when I went to the most social media influencing bodybuilding gym of my city and similar things happened when I started to deadlift daily

Should I go to the most unknown place, or some place already famous like those bjj associations with multiple affiliates everywhere?
>>
>>94835
Go somewhere that actually produces competitors. That way they have to keep standards high
>>
>>94835
if there a lot of gyms around you, you're allowed to shop around bro. They have trial classes for a reason. FUCK COACHES, FUCK "TEAM MEMBERS", FUCK HOBBYISTS go to class for as long as you can steal as much technique and jiujitsu as you can, fucking wreck everyone you roll with and move on to the next place when it's time. Focus only on your skill the dojo isn't some social club to be making friends at, you're a warrior aren't you?
T. retard who is mostly saying this to myself and this is mostly projection don't know of what though lol
>>
>>94845
Autism
>>
>>94835
If you don’t like your club just go to a different one. You should be conditioning yourself outside of class anyways though
>>
>>94851
that's why I'm good at fighting xD
>>
>>94872
Whatever you say, “warrior”
>>
>>94843
I know a place that made my lazy ass friend give up on jiu jitsu for trying to force him on competing, maybe that will be the perfect place for me. The only problem is that this retard is very lazy so maybe even the classes I'm doing would make him give up.....

But that's great advice, a place that wants people to compete needs to have higher standards

>>94845
Very based, but I don't know what to say when I go to other gym
>did you do bjj already
>yes, but.....
What if the owner knows the other guy? How do I explain the other place was being lazy so that's why I moved from without more drama?

>>94854
There's just a few on my city, I will try another one soon
>>
>>94920
just tell them that you have experience and the other place started charging to much, or the coach you like left, or the truth. It literally does not matter a lot of these places are just happy to have new people come in
>>
>>94924
Right, I will talk to them then!

What about the kimono? How easy is to remove an embroidery and put another?
>>
>>94926
Are you retarded? Just use a knife or a razor blade.
>>
>>94927
Why the aggression
>>
>>94932
He's a warrior, b
>>
>>94920
literally just say you had some experience at the other gym and leave it at that. There are a million reasons to change gyms, for all the coach knows you moved closer to him.

show up say you heard about his gym and wanted to try it out. If you like it there just tell him you like the vibe.

If you are desperate for a reason just tell the truth without being a dick. "they are pretty layed back there, I heard you have a lot of competitors and I want to roll a little harder. or Maybe you actually want to compete and you can just say you heard his gym was the place to go to be competitive.

pretty basic social navigation to be honest. Fuck you might find out by listening that everyone at this gym is laughing at the other gym and thinks they are pussys and give you high fives for figuring it out.
>>
where can i find craig jone's power bottom shit online? the usual place id go is down
>>
>>94927
>>94932
>>94949
little nigger boys
>>
File: 1649958814763.png (395 KB, 600x600)
395 KB
395 KB PNG
>>94927
Based and violence pilled??
I know nothing about sewing but it's probably like you say then

>>94951
I'm so tired of drama that I don't want to attract any more. The only drama-free place I go today is a bodybuilding gym that I love and thankfully I moved to it

But now I see, I am thinking about the worst while things could be much better. I will take a look on the other gym then
>>
>>94920
Overthinking it m8 just show up at the other gym. People start at colored belts at new gyms all the time, whether it be due to travel or wanting to move gym. You really think the new gym owner wants to look for a reason to turn down a new, potentially loyal customer?

>>94975
Be patient with seeds

>>>/t/1137917
>>
File: bunny.jpg (1.14 MB, 1169x826)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>93020
179 a month 1500 for a year
>>
>>93020
399kr per månad
>>
Anyone else following the Andrew Wiltse meltdown?
>>
>>94975
btdig
>>
>>95306
Yeah nigga, it's quite sad. Bipolar disorder sucks dick. Sounds like it might be stress related from starting his new gym and all the work involved getting it up off the ground
>>
>>95306
>>95349
Qrd
>>
>>95373
Nigga having a manic episode which he believes has ended. It hasn’t lol. Check out any of his YouTube videos from the last week for an insight
>>
>>95400
Yeah. Run into this before at dive bars and shit. Some guy comes in talking your ear off about a whole bunch of nonsense and nothing you say to him can get him off his train. A bit sad, hope those mood stabilizers kick in soon. Unfortunately, the comedown for manic types can be pretty severe as they realize what an ass they made of themselves while they were up. Hopefully he has good friends and family who understand the condition.
>>
File: haters.png (1.55 MB, 1017x592)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
>>95401
>>95400
>>95349
>>95306
>>
Can tickling be used as a tactic in BJJ?
>>
how do I learn basic jiu jitsu at home?
>>
>>95923
You dont, get on the mats autist
>>
>>95925
scared to talk to randoms
>>
>>95926
Why bother learning to fight if you’re not prepared to overcome fear?
>>
>>95932
Im hated
>>
>>95935
????????

By who?
>>
>>95923
John Danaher has a solo drills instructional for free just look it up
>>
>>95926
you'll always be scared if you don't face your fears
>>
>>95936
I have problems ..

>>95979
Only going to do it if I move

>>95953
Will do thank u
>>
>>95988
I don't hate you anon. I hope you can build up the courage to go to your first class. I have aspergers and social anxiety but I have survived a few weeks of classes so far!
>>
>>96126
> few weeks
Every time, this ought to be a board meme
>>
>>96204
I don't know why you expect BJJ blackbelts to be on a 4chan board retard. Go to an academy if you want to talk to one.
>>
>>96204
I've been climbing since childhood but when I see newbies in the rock climbing threads I'm friendly and encouraging instead of weird and elitist like you
>>
>>96204
nobody thinks you're good because you're an elite buttscoot player pleb
>>
>>96211
>>96233
>>96250
Seething white belts
>>
>>96253
buttscooter that cant fight
>>
>>96253
You were once a white belt.
>>
>>96253
chad blue belt
>>
I am a jiu-jitsu man. Nobody can give me the death penalty.
>>
>>96263
Nothing worse than a bitchass blue belt.
>>
>>96278
but you can't wrestle
>>
gyms are so fucking redundant
I train at a top MMA gym and every class regardless the sport is the same and not thought through at all
the only reason some people from the gym are on the international stage is because they go beyond the instruction offered by the gym and teach themselves through seminars, private sessions with pros from other gyms
there's literally no point to a gym if you're not just a hobbyist who wants to slim down
it's a waste of money
going to drop my gym and just start drilling shit from instructionals and visit clubs for rolling aside from comps

people don't even think about what they're doing, it's all according to idiotic conventions
>ok lets do some fucking meaningless group warmup for 5 - 10 minutes and then maybe I'll let you do 1 - 2 minutes of warming up yourself because you don't know your own fucking body! LETS GO RUN IN A CIRCLE AND LAZY SHRIMP UP AND DOWN THE MATS OKAY GUYS?? don't forget the cartwheels!
>now that you're warm, let me show you some technique I saw online for 5 minutes so the warmup can be rendered useless. What, you'd rather be devoting time to get really good at something you've noticed is missing in your game during competition? Oh well tough luck you're going to be doing this dumb shit that's incompatible with your body type and game for the next 30 minutes anyway, nevermind that you'll forget this shit the moment class is over and next class we're doing something completely different so you don't get a chance to repeat and engrain it in your long term memory
>okay technique drilling is over LET'S ROLL! we're going to be rolling for 30 minutes with random round times and changing partners between every round
>okay guys time to cool down with running around in a fucking circle again!

this is one of the worst ways you can structure a class yet it's the only way anybody does it
90% of time in class is wasted, you'd be better off staying home watching instructionals and only going to open mats
>>
Cute girls in class and their slightly loose gis w/ wizard sleeves are a gift to humanity
>>
>>96263
Chads don't bully newbies
>>
>>96291
You're right. Pedagogy is retarded in 99% of gyms if you're trying to get really good. The current system is easy to oversee and is basically all hobbyists are asking for. Some structured workout combined with sparring. It keeps the lights on. The inner circle at any gym, where the real competitors are, are always doing extra-curriculars. It's very common for brown and black belts to jump in at the end for rolling only because that's the only thing worth doing for them. And even then they tend to just roll continuously with another brown or black belt. Only occasionally jumping in to wash some newbie as a way of "paying their dues" or just working on the muscle memory for a fancy technique that they currently can't pull off against a higher belt. Such is the way of things.

If you join a real competitive gym you might be able to weasel your way into the inner circle and get the real stuff. But membership is usually all about being friends with the guys so hopefully you don't have autism.
>>
I got hurt today and now my gi pants are all bloody.
>>
>>96372
What happened? Post bloody gi.
>>
>>96392
Nothing to bad teebeeatch. My gi pants are made out of a rough material and as we were practicing a takedown my knee kind of slid along the ground as I fell and skinned my knee and shin real bad. Im not seriously hurt, it just bled a lot.
>>
I've only been bjj for a couple of days my legs feel exhausted, is this normal?
>>
>>96439
What was your fitness like before starting BJJ?
>>
>>96439
buddy i would like to recommend 1 exercise to you, do sumo shiko, they will help you build a stronger and more flexible lower body. From your hips to your hammies you will become stronger
>>
>>96439
Dude same, my left leg had been jelly since I started last week. I need to rest it but I dont want to miss class. I already quit once two years ago and I know if I skip im gonna have a hard time going back.
>>
Looking for advice.
I've been training (bjj) for along time. YEARS longer than I'd like to admit

I'm a purple belt.

i also have a full time career so i dont compete.

precovid my coach told me I was on the way for brown. He said keep up the work, give it a year and i'll be in there. well, two things happened. I tore my acl, had surgery and covid lock downs happened.

I just returned to training 2 weeks ago and everyone was thrilled to see me.

rolling feels good again. everything is feeling welcome.

i feel torn about the promotion stuff though. because i was out for so long i feel like i dont deserve shit. but, if i make it through the year and passed over (having ocd) will also suck.

should i talk to my coach asking him his expectations or what I can work on to get back on track or is there no real way to address this? I know in bjj even talking promotion is frowned on
>>
>>96517
I get you, but you should probably deprioritize getting promoted. It doesn't really mean anything unless you're trying to open your own school or something. Some gyms have a very clear pathway to promotion where they list exactly what techniques you need to know and how much time you need at your current rank. It sounds like your gym is more informal and your instructor just promotes you when he thinks you're ready, which is completely legitimate. Just keep training and try to enjoy yourself. Especially for a hobbyist like yourself, the belt color is totally unimportant. Just get better. You are not a jiu jitsu pro so it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get your black belt. It barely matters there.
>>
anyone have the link to the danaher mega?
>>
>>97108
https://www.terabox.com/sharing/link?surl=ZA_3b5FY1MzVe3dSHS6yNA
>>
>>97119
>https://www.terabox.com/sharing/link?surl=ZA_3b5FY1MzVe3dSHS6yNA
thank you anon
>>
File: 43.png (64 KB, 600x704)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
Question
Why would our muscles evolve to tense up in fight or flight when we fight better when our muscles are relaxed?
>>
Anyone got Craig Jones power ride or power top?
>>
>>97125
Because the monkeys we evolved from were too retarded to come up with efficient systems of combat, for them just going tard rage and using all your strength is the best option. Humans have not been around long enough nor been evolutionarily selected to develope anything different.
>>
>>97125
Muscles tense up because it makes your hand stand on end and that makes you look bigger to intimidate your opponent.
>>
I took boxing for a few months a couple years back when I was 18 or so. Loved it, wanted to get into sparring so bad (did spar a couple times a year or two later with friends), but life happened, school, job, the gym was a bit too far and I didn't have a car, etc. Now that I'm a grown-ass man, I've been wanting to go back, but I always heard about the "Boxing + BJJ" meme browsing here and wherever else. Not only am I a big Brazilaboo, but I just really enjoy combat sports and fighting other dudes who also wanna fight you in a controlled environment. I think it's fun and it's nice to have a physical skill that satiates a sense of accomplishment through hard work. Therefore, BJJ sounds like an awesome fit to me, and I guess it's been getting popular over the last few years. What's some beginner advice/resources? Any exercises or anything that would prepare me? I really wanna get into it.
>>
>>97411
just go to a class
BJJ doesn't need conditioning if you're not competitive
>>
>>
>>97484
Last one should be
>learning jiujitsu to defend nazis
>>
>>97125
To brace for impact
>>
>class is cancelled today
FUCK
>>
File: 1653220993390.jpg (225 KB, 750x651)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Is it normal if i can't train consecutive days because I get so tired the day after training because of how out of shape I am
>>
>>97853
I mean, if you’re new and coming from a sedentary lifestyle it’s going to take time to adjust to a rigorous training schedule. One of the biggest mistakes people make getting into fitness is making these super intense 6 day a week training plans. Inevitably they fail to maintain it and just give up altogether.

Take it slow, one day a weeks I better than no days a week. When you’re more comfortable with what you’re doing build onto it.
>>
>>97857
That sounds about right, I am new and have a sedentary lifestyle. Thanks
>>
>>97858
What is your training schedule right now and what do you want it to look like in the future?
>>
>>97859
Mon wed fri currently but I would like to four or five days a week
>>
>>97900
Just keep going anon, you will build endurance :)
>>97726
NO!
>>
>>87372
BJJ general on robot 9000
>>>/r9k/68777612
>>>/r9k/68777612
>>>/r9k/68777612
>>
>>97411
Your story is similar to mine. I'd strongly advise you to build up a good cardio base or work on in it in parallel. Having a good gas tank makes a big difference on how enjoyable sparring is. You don't need to go crazy, just do some runs in heart zone 2 every week.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.