[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

If you had to choose only one martial art to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be?
>>
Obs: the image above is for illustrative porpuses only
>>
My own made up hybrid style where I train whatever the fuck I want.
>>
hyoho niten ichi ryu
>>
52 blocks kek
>>
>>87107
judo, provided my body could keep up with it
>>
Easy take: Kungfu. Fight at earlier age, train to be prepared for trouble or become a teacher yourself at middle age, and be able to train for health and longevity at old age.

Competitions end at some point, it would be a shame if I couldn't profit from things I invested my precious time into many years before.

Kungfu isn't famous for getting parkinson from continuous head trauma, nor for being a complete wreck like MT or Pro Wrestling (be it from fighting, steroids or painkillers). It is good enough for many aspects of MA, depending on what and how you train, and it has lots of stories, myths and ancient stuff to dive into, leaving the weak mortal people behind with their fears of tiny things while you are finding peace within yourself ;)

Yes, I fought reckless for my own safety, yes, I competed (outside the maxxed-out pro psycho scene, only within the same style organisations), yes, I teach what I learned so far (I do it for free, I earn my money through another MA-unrelated job), and I am already very content with my life so far (I achieved everything I wanted, everything else is just extra bonus, but I could maybe die today and be happy with the life I lived).
>>
>>87107
Ok
>>
>>87107
Sure
>>
>>87107
muay thai
>>
My (traditional) Japanese school.
We study sword, knife, spear and armless close combat. And all the teachings are integrated in the same principles so everything is coherent. I don't need more.
>>
>>87107
>not displaying all seven forms of lightsaber combat separately

Gay.
>>
>>87107
>>87108
It's on the picture so imma go with Hakuto Shinken if it was real
>>
>>90110
To be fair most average sith tend towards Juyo.
>>
>>87107
Combat Sambo, Sambo, Muay Thai
>>
>>87107
Sith, If i could get the lightsaber.
>>
>>87107
Puerto Rican Judo.
>>
Niggerfu, the weapon is a concrete block.
>>
>>90649
My boomer dad still thinks that joke is funny after 10 years of me doing actual judo.
>>
>>87107
MMA

Technically it's every martial arts
>>
>>87181
This nigga types like a redditfag
>>
>>95250
Your boomer dad sounds cool.
>>
Kendo. You can practice with anyone regardless of height, weight, sex, age, etc. The older you get the better you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm3CmNE72Bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myBW-ubCiU
>>
>>87107
I already chose: BJJ
I'm young enough to scrap and wrestle right now, but I can easily slow down my training and continue to develop as I age
>>
Didn't know Kendo existed. The uniforms are cool af.
>>
>>95576
How amenable is Kendo to being taken up in your late 20's? It looks cool, but I'm worried about not really being able to progress. Sort of like finding a wrestling gym in America. They're expecting you to already have some years under your belt and training/competition for adult novices doesn't really exist. Is Kendo similar?
>>
>>95250
It is.
>>
>>95602
Kendo is actually one of those martial arts you can pick up later in life. There's a Hachidan (highest rank you can get in Kendo, also the hardest test in Japan with the lowest pass rate) that started in his 40's or 50's. I can't remember which.

In the West, the average age to Shodan (1st dan) is 30-31. I started in my late 20's and been doing it for a while now. One of the best decisions I made.

If you like something that is competitive, traditional, safe, and has a lot of history behind it I recommend it. Bonus points if you actually want to learn Japanese culture (most weebs drop out after a few months once they realize its actually hard work/a rather jocky thing to do).

It's not "real" sword fighting, and honestly you won't find "real" sword fighting today because there's no use for it, but it gets pretty close to the dynamics behind one. It's taking techniques to their most efficient and logical conclusion, and in Kendo's case, without sacrificing the martial element behind it.
>>
>>95660
Cool. Sounds like something I could get into. I actually am a fan of Japanese stuff but not really anime so hopefully I'm not one of the wash-out weebs. I'll try out my local dojo.
>>
>>87107
Meme answer: MMA as it includes everything else
Probable answer: submission fighting or just bjj if no-gi included
Less common but still acceptable answer: sumo
Lasy answer: don't practice anymore just watch (that's what I'm currently doing)
>>
>>87107
sex
>>
Muay Thai, but exclusively using 4 and 7oz gloves
>>
>>97267
Or Sanda with MMA gloves
>>
>>95250
judo know if I got a knife
judo know if I got a gun
>>
>>95543
It really isn't though. Not if you're using the typical sport definition of MMA. You may as well just say "Martial Arts," and if you're going to use that broad of a definition you'd have to start including everything that falls under that umbrella term. Martial Arts are military arts. Train everything a man can do on his own, basically all of guerrilla warfare.
>>
>>95582
I highly doubt you would be able to keep up with it once you start getting old.
Every older guy I knew who was into it ended up injuring out, including one guy I train with regularly who quite literally got their neck dislocated.
Has bars in his neck and highly limited mobility due to it.
>>
>>87107
Wrestling, no wrestling no lifee.
I fell in love with that sport after my first post training puke
So im totally ready to follow it through
>>
>>95197
52 of them, right?

I would use a fighting style that my brain could not comprehend, such that the fighting movements would become so intertwined with my regular, every day movements; beating someone up would be like making a cup of coffee, literally.
>>
>>97528
>got their neck dislocated.
How? Did he not tap soon enough?
>>
>>97552
It wasn't even submission related.
Happened in a scramble for position I believe. Stuff he did many times before when younger, but being old his neck just gave out when under pressure.
>>
>>97528
Underreported facet of the art I think. It does have a reputation as being old friendly that it doesn't deserve imo. Grappling is fucking terrible for your joints and connective tissue. Which you do not need any help damaging as you get older. At least judoka and wrestlers are honest about how bad it fucks you up. If you want something you can do into old age, become a swimmer or do kendo.
>>
>>97628
Most styles of karate can also be done into super old age. The only real adjustment needed to do it old compared to young is to just not do hard sparing, which if you aren't a pro fighter you probably shouldn't be doing a lot of in a striking art anyway.
>>
>>97641
Striking in general seems alright as long as you avoid brain damage. You will be less effective, but if you just want to keep in shape and have fun then there's nothing wrong with never taking hard shots to the head and never competing. Karate has got a handful of styles that specifically disallow head shots so I agree, that's also a good choice.
>>
>wushu
>kung fu
really more of a difference in style than a separate art entirely
>>
>>101382
depending on the group the terms wushu and kung fu can be used interchangeably. There's multiple chinese terms to basically describe the same thing
>>
>>101453
My understanding is that they’re both terms for Chinese martial arts in general, but that in the modern day “king fu” is separated into two distinct categories. Wushu, the preformative art and sanda the combat art
>>
>>101454
Sanda is the licensed mma fighting organization in china that orignated from a condensed fighting style regiment created for their military. Sanda pulls from the traditional kung fu styles, shuai jiao (which itself could be called a kung fu style), and chin na, again something that could be considered a traditional kung fu style. You are right that wushu is considered performance. That's because wushu is, once again, a result of the chinese government trying to "standardize" traditional kung fu techniques. What they did was sacrifice practical self defense applications for more showy, flashy tricks. They do super high leaping kicks and emphasize stance work. This was in done to take teeth out of kung fu practitioners. You will not find a wushu instructor teaching you how to break peoples arms and snap their fingers. You will probably not be fighting each other in a wushu class, and you certainly won't be going over combat applications with weapons on each other. "Traditional Kung Fu Styles" like wing chun, long fist, praying mantis, five animals, drunken boxing, even tai chi have many practical fighting applications. Sanda is pretty based, but I think the best chinese martial arts are the ones the chinese government haven't fucked with. You just have to have a good teacher with good lineage. If they didn't train overseas, or were born overseas, I would stay away.
>>
>>90092
Do you have to live near big population centers to be able to do this kind of thing?
>>
>>90603
Excuse my retardation but why learn Sambo when you already learned Combat Sambo
>>
MMA taught as an art in itself was mind blowing for me. The basic combination of left jab-right cross-knee to double leg takedown and a basic submission or gnp, just felt so right.

Like how had no one come up with combining these things before? It just felt like such a logical way to fight.

Failing that than Muay Thai, tho the Thai scoring style rewarding kicks unequally to punches is a bit shit compared to K1 but the use of elbows edges it out in effectiveness.
>>
>>90092
>We study sword, knife, spear and armless close combat
bro, you are riot trained
>>
>>102187
> Like how had no one come up with combining these things before?
Pankration is like 2000 years old anon
>>
>>101456
I think it's sad that you can find more legit teachers of Chinese martial arts in places like the US or Japan then you can in mainland China.
Fuck communism man. It ruins everything.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.