[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

karate thread - spinny shit edition

previous thread: >>60644
>>
File: odifS7cM7YyYmJsq.webm (1.2 MB, 720x416)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB WEBM
>>85346
first for Kudo
>>
>>85394
i dunno i don't know any Sambo
>>
>>85394
Less time allowed on the ground I think is the main difference
>>
File: 1418360151950.jpg (7 KB, 250x242)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>haven't been able to train for months due to chronic migraines
>so much muscle and fitness lost
>can rarely teach anymore
>had my next Dan grading this year
literally thinking of killing myself
>>
>>85394
Striking isn't scored in combat sambo. You can win by KO, but striking is meant to be a vehicle to set up your takedowns and submissions.If you're not actively engaging in grappling, you're going to get penalized (regardless of how well you're lighting up the other guy).

Kudo is sort of the opposite where striking is more important with grappling being second.
>>
>thinking about starting shotokan because some of the concepts I've seen on Karate Dojo waKu can be applied to other stuff I train
>look up local shotokan club
>only hold two sessions a week
>same hours as my other practices
guess I'll have to postpone my karate kiddening until things change or I inevitably weebmax and move to Japan
>>
What’s the name of the punch you hold back to the grounded opponent? I see it all the time in competitions but I can’t remember what it’s called. I’ve searched for karate finishing blow etc but that just gets me the one hit kill philosophy instead
>>
File: voNZl93a416fd522.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
I have a knockdown tournament this year, it's my first tournament so i'll be competing in the novice category (after 3 tournaments you fight in the regular section within my org) should I look into getting contacts for it? I normally wear glasses but when I spar I take them off. Also what should I expect? My sensei says to be tournament ready I should train 4 times a week, I visit the dojo 2 times a week as we only have two sessions, and I try to find 2 other sessions during the week to work my heavy bag and workout. How do I get that fighting to win mindset?

Webm is from the 2nd kyoukushin world tournament open, which is all on youtube.
>>
Pet peeve of mine that has been going on at my school is damn near everyone there calls spinning hook kick a back spin kick.
So when I tell someone to do a spinning hook kick they just look at me confused, and if I try to get them to do a spinning back kick or turning side kick they instead do a spinning hook kick until I correct them.

This is mainly caused by the head instructor jumbling terms and names of things due to being old, and apparently back spinning kick for spinning hook kick is one of those jumbles that stuck.
I am not normally a stickler for names of stuff, but this gets on my nerves because it causes confusion.
>>
>>85651
the difference is in the name after all, the hooking motion verses the almost stamping motion of the back spin kick, dunno how you'd mix them up, wouldn't you feel odd doing a hook kick without any hooking?
>>
>>85652
It's not that they don't hook, it's that they call a spinning hook kick a back spin kick. Which causes trouble anytime I try to get them to do any spin or turn kick that isn't spinning hook kick. Since they just just mentally translated it into a spinning hook kick.
>>
After going through basics and warmup (plus a few bonus moves to keep student on their toes) and kata/forms; pulled out the mat and taught/reviewed side fall and a simple sweep/trip.
First teaching it without resistance, then in a competitive drill where they partnered up and tired to sweep each other only using the sweep they just leaned while trying not to get swept, and then free sparing while it was still fresh in their mind and allowing sweeps to be used when they are on the mat.

On the one hand I think I taught it well, but I am kind of second guessing myself since I am the only instructor that teaches anything even remotely grappling or sweep related and I am the least senor instructor. I just have exp from a style outside of karate in grappling and looking up tutorials (videos and books) of the few trips and throws that are normal within karate. Then practice them with a fellow black belt in the karate style of doing it until I feel like I have it down, then I try and teach them in that karate context to the lower ranks.
Again, since I am the only instructor who does anything related to grappling or sweeps it isn't something I learned in karate, and at times I am not even sure the things I do and teach are apart of our particular style of karate (tang soo do), so it kind of makes me feel like a imposter or infiltrator teaching stuff that isn't karate under the label of karate falsely.

I would love to hear other thoughts or viewpoints on this.
Also, if you train sweeps/trips and throws, how do you go about that training and what style of karate do you do them in.
>>
File: Lyoto Machida combo.webm (1.26 MB, 400x226)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB WEBM
>>86275
>so it kind of makes me feel like a imposter or infiltrator teaching stuff that isn't karate under the label of karate falsely.
I'd argue that learning and adding more stuff to your style is more "karate" than trying to keep it pure. Tang Soo Do is already a mutt made up of multiple martial arts combined. Most (if not all) karate styles still practiced today are as well. Even if you go back to the original Okinawan karate, they're still influenced by multiple Chinese martial arts.

So who cares if one more style gets added?
>>
>>86275
Karate means empty hand I though do Tang Soo Do and bring good shit I've learned like Kyokushin conditioning and boxing hands
>>
>>86402
>>86375
also this, Tang Soo Do is already a Hybrid
>>
Any good dojos in the Charlotte NC area?
>>
How often do you guys spar?
What kind of sparing do you typically do?
What rules to you use?
>>
>>86646
Why would you expect one of the 9 posters in a slow thread on a Mongolian basket weaving forum to happen to know specifically about the status of karate in your obscure flyover state? You don't see Kyrgyzqwperoiuasdfowicz from Bialystok asking about dojos in his area.
>>
>>85346
I found a municipal gym that offers karate classes by about $5 a month and it's the same school as my previous dojo, I've seen the installations and they seem decent (I think they even had a few trophies) but a little small. However, I can only go 1 hour a day, 3 days a week, but I can go to boxing classes in the same gym (for about $4 extra and can go an hour each weekday), but I have still to watch a class. One of the people that gave me information supposedly has a black belt in Gojo Ryu, though I didn't ask what dan. I kinda have the feeling that it might be a waste of my time but I'm not sure. Your thoughts?
>>
>>87217
At that price try it for a month and see if you can get anything out of it.
If it isn't totally shit then it would be retarded not to jump on a deal like that.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (128 KB, 1280x720)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Foe me, it is Machida Karate
>>
>>87214
>North Carolina
>flyover state
>>
>>87210
I do kyokushin, we spar mainly using the rules of knockdown (no strikes to the head) pretty light but not too light, we do no gi training and sparring on weekends and sometimes sparring with our karategis on during the week. We tend to wear gloves like MMA gloves or bag gloves for sparring, some guys just wear fist wraps, most people wear shinpads.
>>
>>87217
>>87262
went and had a trial class, adults have to go at 6PM but I have class at uni so the sensei put me with 12 year-olds, however for technique I'll be paired with him. Hadn't done karate in three years so I ended up very tired during the warm-up, we did basic kata and some kihon. I'll continue going since it's dirt cheap, I'll probably post too to keep these threads from dying
>>
>>85346
been thinking of taking a kenpo 5.0 but im not sure about it. any anons have experience with this system?
>>
I dont really do karate, I used to do TKD but quit because of some personal shit ,anyways I know of the famed makiwara/thougening training so I wanted to ask:
>is it a good idea to punch a metal dumbell,using various strikes? knuckle,knife-hand, palm,etc..I started doing it with a 7 kilos dumbell until im bruised but not fractured.
>I prefer using a tree but my skin gets cut with the surface and my parents get batshit angry over it
>>
>>88475
BTW. to clarify: I dont hold the dumbell and then hit it..I set it firmly upon a high stand(AKA my high bed),so its basically a metal makiwara. I even put some stuff to the sides and behind it,to make sure it doesnt move much.
>>
>>88475
you're retarded
>>
>>88475
The makiwara is wood, wrapped with softer material, and placed in the ground way below the actual striking surface so it has give when you strike it properly. You might as well punch a brick fucking wall instead of your dumbell. Also, don't condition your hands you retard, the week you take time off you'll develop arthritis for the rest of your life.
>>
>>88475
It's really retarded. If you can throw hard enough to knock someone out, you can throw hard enough to break your hand. Deliberately giving yourself arthritis isn't worth it, because there's a good change you'll still get a boxer's fracture from knocking someone out bare knuckle. And how often do you really anticipate fighting in da streetz/outside the gym? A handful of times in your life, if you're a normal person.
>>
Are there kyoku karatekas in the room?
>>
i just don't understand the combat in kyoku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8TnNXEDdeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQidFFBzx0
>>
Not to go too political but Russian IKO has fully endorsed Putin and his invasion. Pretty bewildering not the way of Sosai Mas Oyama at all but I've seen Kyokushin attract assholes here maybe they are warped over there
>>
>>88868
what don't you understand?
>>
>>89531
didnt mas oyama volunteer as a kamikaze at one point? japan WAS an imperialist invadir...
>>
>>89554
yeah before he trained and founded Kyokushin, he pretty much became a different person
>>
I have started changing my diet to having more animal protein and it's having a huge effect on my training and body. I don't think plant protein hits quite the same way or something because despite the calories and grams of protein being the same I am both slimming down and putting on more muscle.

This is mainly related to me training up for 3rd Dan rank. I have improved my physical fitness quite a bit but my forms and conditioning for breaks still need work.
It doesn't help that the concrete blocks used are inconsistent as fuck. Some break no problem with a normal strength strike while others from the same batch can take being hit with full body weight at full force several times and have no sign of damage whatsoever.
Probably something to do with moisture. I don't buy the brick so it feels more like a dice roll of if I will get a good brick or not rather than a test of skill.

On a unrelated note, the flier campaign worked and now classes are almost full. Seems the old ways of advertising still work, and all the online stuff of websites and social media don't really seem to do dick.
>>
>>89531
I mean if they denounced it, the sport would probably get banned so it's in the interests in the future of Russian IKO to stay alongside regime, and Russia is one of the few places in the world where karate is given government funding and the government will pay you to be a full time karateka, I don't know of any other country in the west that will sponsor someone to do karate full time. I'd rather the Russian karateka's received government funding and support than they didn't. I'd also rather the war didn't happen, as Ukraine is home to countless karateka's as well, and it's a shame for them to fight anywhere that isn't on the mat.

>>88858
Do you mean Kyokushin? It's pretty just a battle of wills/endurance/etc depending on the weight class, lightweights and middleweights (not every kyokushin has the same weight categories) have more technical skill and speed and so you'll see more knockouts, but the experienced kyokushin knockdown fighters can punch each other in the gut for hours.
>>
>>88858
Orange belt, currently spin kicking like crazy.
>>
>>89804
They could have just not said anything at all
>>
would it be disrespectful to inquire about learning punches/elbows to the head at a kyokushin dojo and what is the likelihood they'd be able or willing to teach them. KK would be a perfect striking art if they taught those things
>>
>>90901
Pretty sure there is no problem learning them, you just wouldn't be allowed to use them during sparing.
>>
>>90901
Kyokushin 10th kyu here. We are taught those things: punches to the jaw, elbows to the temple, shotei to the nose, eye-gouging and things of the sort. As the other anon said, we simply don’t use them in sparring nor practice them with a partner; they exist only in kihon.

I doubt it would be disrespectful to inquire about those things.
>>
what do you guys do foodwise for tournaments?
>>
>want to learn kyokushin karate
>live in australia
Is kickboxing a close enough substitute?
>>
>>91541
can u go to Judd Reid's Chikara stuff?
>>
>>91658
Nah, that one looks really good but that's in a different state to where I live. I did find a kyokushin dojo in my city which doesn't look too bad, but it is quite far (around 50 mins via public transport) so I might just learn kickboxing for now
>>
>>91658
Judd Reid's home training vids from the early corona days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL795ocpu0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlDOhc9uME
>>
>>91724
They might have a branch or affiliated dojo near you... if not, nothing wrong with kickboxing
>>
Is it normal that in my Kyokushin GYM we spar without gloves, fistwraps or shinguards? We don't go full force of course.
>>
>>92315
We train like that as well, I think it's quite varied, some Kyokushin dojo's are very modern and scientific, training with weights, heartrate monitors, bags, much closer to a gym than a dojo, others never use any kind of pads, and do things the oldschool way. It really depends on how much time and money your sensei has.
>>
>>92336
I see. I was just a bit worried about fucking-up my fingers from punching with my bare hands but I'm loving the training so I will keep up with it.
>>
>>92348
You will fuck up your fingers.
>>
>>92365
How badly fucked are we talking about here?
>>
>>92315
It's good to know how to wrap your hands, see any video by Benny Urquidez for a good tutorial, but I've never had better form with my punches since I started Kyokushin. The heavy bag used to give me wrist pain unless I was gloved up, but now I hit it bare knuckle and I'm totally fine.
>>
>>85447
Just do some taichi, better than nothing
>>
>>92383
The real dangerous thing is being kicked in an open hand. But they will teach you proper punching form, and your hands will be mostly safe, within reason.
>>
File: 86414591.jpg (59 KB, 600x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
I got a weird question...but what is sex like with a karate master? I bet it's...rough...
>>
>>92348
I'd suggest only punching maybe 60% until you feel comfortable ramping it up, conditioning your hands is a very long journey, DO NOT rush it
>>
>>92853
Most people I have met that had a rank high enough to legit be called a master were all old dudes so I rather not imagine old man sex.
>>
File: zenkutsu.gif (15 KB, 283x402)
15 KB
15 KB GIF
Aight, /kg/, poll time. I want to know the styles of anons and lurkers.
https://strawpoll.com/polls/w4nWDpx6xgA

"More than one style" assumes you studied both/all for an extended period of time. Also, please forgive me if I did anything wrong, since it's my first poll (not using a good page, few options, etc).
>>
>>94127
Style of karate I do is Tang soo do.
I have done other styles of martial arts but tang soo do is the only style of karate I have studied for a significant amount of time.
>>
>>94139
Shit, should've though of Tang soo do.

When the time comes for a new poll, I'll be sure to include it.
>>
>>94139
>>94127
there is a few tang soo do anons here, that and kyokushin seem to be the most popular
>>
>>91541
there is heaps of kyokushin in australia m8 cameron quinn mas oyama's translator was australian
>>
teaching a friend some self defence, is the gracie combatitive program legit for women or is it a gracie cashgrab they were looking into that as well
>>
>>94464
sir this is the karate thread
>>
>>94463
you’re right. I found quite a few kyokushin dojos/gyms near me ever since I wrote that reply
>>
>>94474
there are a few crosstrainers in here and I can't be bothered with the shitposting everywhere else
>>
first day back at training after being out since december, wiped after one hour of light stuff but it feels so good to be back
>>
>>93596
okay, I meant more like in their prime. Can they break my hip? lol
>>
>>87767
Yes
>>
>>94127
Goju
Taira lineage btw
>>
>>94463
upon closer inspection all the ones I found in sydney are all mcdojos catering to kids. where are you based?
>>
>>94829
brisvegas
>all the ones I found in sydney are all mcdojos catering to kids
how so? I know sydney has legit kyokushin we've had some of them up here once in a while
>>
>>94830
these are some dojos close to me
https://www.facebook com/Marrickville-Kyokushin-Karate-Club-320241784766634/
https://www.facebook com/KuroObiMartialArts/
>>
>>94830
another one
https://www.facebook com/TrifuDojo/
Am I mistaken for just looking at their public facing photos or are these dojos really just catering to kids? Like where's the actual kyokushin stuff?
>>
>>94837
GO
ASK
FEEL

Or maybe just wait someone from a different continent answers you
>>
>>94837
>>94832
some of the black belts seem a bit sluggish in that basic drill at the kuro school but the sparring seems about right. The amount of kid stuff is a bit odd in the other 2 but not an indicator of a mcdojo, as the other anon said best way to find out is to try one of them out and report back if you want. If they are part of IKO they have a standard to keep but some schools are better than others, I know for a fact brisvegas kyokushin is one of the best in aus and is a lot cheaper than sydney
>>
>>94906
should clarify I'm not sucking its dick since I went there though, I have problems with Kyokushin/IKO in general but it was real good shit and one of the cheapest I've ever done
>>
did a bunch of posts get deleted I could swear this thread was on about 200
>>
>>94664
Glad you’re back to the grind. Why the hiatus?
>>
>>95075
I've been having problems with migraine's after physical activity, even 1 hour of light training. Happened around November last year, I thought it was fine again (got sick from other shit, good times) but after that post I got another migraine but I don't care anymore I'm just going to train anyway, just can't go back to Kyokushin or do any fitness tests until I find something that works. Heard good things about some injection, but not being able to train at all has been killing me.
>>
>>85392
He had a prime full force kick to throw at the back of the knee after the first kick and punch landed, and he decided to literally run into his opponent and get flipped with his own momentum instead.

kwab
>>
Whats the best place to get a good gi?
>>
>>96094
If you know how to use a measuring tape and read a sizing chart then the internet.
If you prefer to try things on before you buy then whatever local place in your area you have access to.

Amazon is decent for basic stuff.
You can also try direct from manufacture and distributed sites like macho and proforce.
I used to like AWMA when they had free shipping for orders over $50 but they got rid of that. It was also because they were physically close to me, and had a close warehouse when I moved so their stuff got delivered super quick.
Now it's like $15 in shipping no matter what you order so I hesitate to buy from them anymore.
>>
>>96094
do they not provide them where you train
>>
an untrained literal nigger would absolutely destroy a highly trained karate guy in a street fight. Absolutely destroy.
Krotty fags have no idea what a real fight is like because they train at 50% intensity and also with pillows on their heads, hands, feet, wear mouth guards, cups, etc. Those who “compete” just play foot fencing and foot tag. No krotty guy is acclimated to doing karate at 100% intensity and having an opponent come at them with 100% intensity. They’re all self deluded wimps who simp for a sensei
>>
Was basicly told that they are pushing my next belt test off by 3 months because they never got around to properly teaching me the forms/kata I need to know.
I partially blame myself. Part of being a black belt is that I am at the stage where I can competently self train. So I should have spent time finding good reference material and practicing them on my own. But I was lazy about it since I don't like forms/kata and spend my alone training time doing basically everything else but work on forms.

It just kind of sucks because in some ways it feels like I stalled in my own development ever since I started taking teaching seriously.
>>
>>96274
like any martial art it depends what type of karate and what your instructor is like, also as if none of us have heard this shit before
>>
>>96279
No karate school does live training at 100% intensity.
Krotty fags literally have no idea what it’s like to trade blows with someone in a fight, and their biggest error is thinking that they could in any way hold their own in a fight. As far as martial arts go as products, karate is just delusion. People pay money to receive delusion.
>>
>>96279
Don't feet trolls.
Hide and report.
>>
>>96277
lol looks like your school didn’t teach you discipline and self respect. Weren’t those the things they advertised to your mom when you were just starting out as a white belt 2 weeks ago?
>>
>>96281
>t. strip mall karate studio orange belt
>>
>>96283
>>96282
is this some retard bjj white belt or something? for the record most good karateka crosstrain in bjj or boxing and most good karateka do or crosstrain full contact karate like kyokushin or some of the offshoots your point is completely moot so go shitpost elsewhere
>>
>>91333
One cup coffee, line of coke, and a cliff bar an hour and a half before matches.
>>
>>96274
Found the buck that got broken.
>>
>>96289
>good karateka are guys who do bjj
Lol
>>
>>96289
Kyoukushin karate is not full contact because you aren’t allowed to pinch to the face. Anon’s point is that the moment a karateka, kyoukushin or otherwise, has someone throwing punches at their face and takes a serious hit to the nose or jaw for the first time they will freak the fuck out and all their training will go out the window as they rapidly descend Maslow’s pyramid.
There is no substitute for training your techniques - giving, receiving, and defending - at 100% intensity.
If you trained at 100% intensity in karate you’d have brain damage within a year.
>>
>>96400
punch
>>
>tfw no full contact karate near me
It’s all either TKD calling itself karate, made up shit with old fat white guys calling themselves grandmaster, or places full of evangelicals where karate isn’t even the main goal. I’m going to give Muay Thai a shot but I’d rather do karate
>>
>>96274
any karateka worth his salt will be able to outrun whatever street nigger you have in mind retard
>>
>>96437
Stop feeding the troll
>>
>>96400
It used to be full contact and I included the offshoots specifically because they reintroduced face punching. I have boxed for years and unless you are fighting in real bouts its not 100% intensity so stop larping and go away
>>96443
>instead
no, so they can teach better karate constantly evolves like any good martial art should
>>
>>96448
he's being retarded enough that he might actually be serious
>>
>>96470
I am 99% certain he is not being serious at all.
He is a troll. Stop feeding the troll.
>>
Thoughts?
>>
>>96476
My thoughts are that you wasted your time.
Go train.
>>
>>96469
>>96470
>good karate isn’t actually karate at all, you see. It’s going to a karate class but then also doing bjj, boxing, running, and concealed carrying a handgun at all times that makes karate so effective
get the fuck out of /xs you larping fatasses
>>
>>96493
posting online can be seen as a waste of time then, dont be edgy.

I agree though that ranking karate styles is basically useless bc the quality of the training and the style of training heavily depend on the dojo
>>
>>96274
t. spend to much time on Sherdog
>>
>>96540
Nothing in that post was edgy.
Learn what words mean.

Besides, we already got someone shitting up the place trying to start petty internet fights and flaming for no reason.
We don't need someone playing the who's style has the biggest dick contest retardation that only causes problems and is never even remotely productive.

Now, Did you train today?
If not then go train.
>>
>>96547
Chill dude
As long as its not Goju tard level i dont mind comparing Karate styles - most of /kg/ is rather civil, outside the generals its mostly shit though
>>
>tfw found a kyokushin dojo an hour away from me
>>
>>96476
Kudo is not karate
Uechi is overrated, not only for you but everyone
Sport karate is utterly shit
Kenpo/kenpo is the loose term for a bunch of not related styles, most of them aren't karate
>>
Has anyone who’s done a “hard style” here had luck in kickboxing tournaments?
>>
>>96763
Yes it’s called muay thai
>>
>>96623
Update: I start next week
This is going to suck
>>
Newbie to Kyokushin here, any tips? It is hard so far, but I like it. Still, a very rough style. Leg pain after receiving lots of low kicks was awful.
>>
>>96476
you haven't trained for a significant period of time in any of these get the fuck out my thread
>>
2nd kyu belt at Shotokan mcdojo/semi mcdojo, just the basic shit for years, zero sparring and barely sweat at this point, some ex-student tell me that in fact the Sensei only knows basic stuff.
I switch to boxing for a while and It feels so much better, I learn and exercise more in a month than years of just kick the air.
>>
>>96979
God help you, I wouldn't be able to put up with never sparing.
To me it's the best and most fun part of martial arts.
The place I go to has sparing almost every single class.
>>
>>96979
Are there any Kudo, Kyokushin, Oyama, or Goju Ryu dojos near you?
>>
>>96623
You will drive 1 hour just to train?
Based. My dojo is like a 5min drive from home and I still skip training a lot.
>>
>>97222
Based.
Training is for fags, I just karate people whenever I fucking feel like it
>>
>>97222
>You will drive 1 hour just to train?
Yes. I was about to give up and take American kickboxing because I didn’t have full contact karate near me. I moved to a new place recently and got exited to see a kyokushin place within driving distance. I’d settle for Muay Thai if I had to but karate is my favorite martial art.
>>
can I look like this using traditional Karate training?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WaFwKEzTo&ab_channel=TheHuhuhaha999
>>
>>97412
Unlikely to be that pumped up but you will get lean for sure
>>
>>97412
No.
Dude looks enhanced and also certainly does modern weight training.
Karate isn't ideal for that style of body building. It just won't easily help you put on lean mass like that.
>>
>>90894

Not happening. Everybody has to justify why they should get government money on the middle of the "special operation" and that means sucking dick.

Not to mention the huge share of true believers. Only people that aren't doing it are those that fucked off Russia entirely.
>>
>>97232
Update: I had my first class tonight, I’m worn out but everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming
>>
>>96476
>tierlist for karate
go back
>>96623
>best kyokushin dojo in my country as far as I know is 20 mins away from me
>had to stop training due to migraines
suffering
>>
>>96476
Kind of a stupid list. If its ranking combat effectiveness how likely do you honestly think it is a random uechi ryu black belt is to beat a random kyokushin black belt? How likely do you think it is that the best uechi ryu practitioner in the world would beat the best kyokushin practitioner in the world?

Sports karate should not be in its own category. No one starts training just sports karate they do shotokan or something and then get into sports karate later. And guess what they are still doing shotokan that is just the format they compete in. A similar thing with kudo actually, but less so.

I'm not even going to comment on putting both kempo and kenpo on the list as if either of these have any consistency in what they practice whatsoever. That is a problem with the list in general. Are you comparing them at their best or are you factoring in the prevalence of mcdojos? Because many are greatly over estimated if you consider how many mcdojos they have, but it makes more sense if we assume that you are only considering them at their best.
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for a full contact gi? All cotton and unbleached preferably
>>
>>96476
I think if its a form of karate its in the F tier
>>
>>96476
>kenpo/kempo
are the exact same thing. lmfao.
>>
>>96274
If karate guy does kyokushin your literal nigger will suck some dicks
>>
>>96476
Shit tier list because you don't understand what high rivalry is and what it does for sport. If you'd know what it is you would put Kyokushin and Shotokan to S tier and everything else in F
>>
>>98418
>All cotton and unbleached preferably
>for full contact sparing
Why?
Blended fabrics and synthetics would be a far more practical choice.
>>
>>96274
In Saint Petersburg was situation where kyokushin guy killed with one punch assailant with gun
>>
How to prevent wrist pain when punching without fistwraps?
I can't punch hard because of this and it's annoying.
>>
>>98923
>How to prevent wrist pain when punching without fistwraps?
Use proper form when punching things, stick to only straight punches as you learn, and gain strength in your wrist with knuckle pushups as a regular part of your workouts.

Here is a video going over correct karate punching form for power, as well as why you don't need wrist wraps if you learn to punch correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6by6LBfo6g
>>
Ashi barai (sweep) can even work?
>>
>>98926
Thanks based anon!
>>
>>98812
Synthetics make my skin itch.
>>
>>99001
Fair enough.

I don't have any particular recomendations since the diffrence between one decent uniform from another as far as I can tell is fit.
The construction seems fairly standardized in quality accross brands once you get away from cheap stuff.
Since fit is such a personal preference kind of thing I would strongly recomend that if you can, try to go to a physical store with a good selection to try stuff on and get a idea of what companies have cuts and fits you like the most.
If you can't then use a tape measure and learn how to measure your self as well as you can, then go with a company that includes good fit information and has a track record of having proper QA. One of the tricky things about 100% cotton is that it shrinks irregularly and that can effect the final fit and finish of the gi even in the same batch of uniforms, which complicates things. Then there is is a breaking in period where the fibers sort of find their final feel/stretch.
All that said, if you aren't really picky then just getting something that generally fits right, as in not too small or big that it gets in the way then you should probably be fine.
Beyond the suspiciously cheap stuff you aren't likely to get one that will just start falling apart on you.
Cotton uniforms are at the very least pretty durable if taken proper care of.
It's the washing of them that tends to destroy them rather than training.

Probably not super useful but whatever.
>>
>>96400
Full contact refers to the level of force allowed not the legal striking areas. Football is a fullcontact sport because they can tackle with full force it doesn't matter that they cannot hit eachother. Likewise for wrestling etc.
>>
Stuff like this is why I am sometimes skeptical that kyokushin is even much better than points karate ror the average person. Let alone comparable to muay thai. Obviously kyokushin has a great legacy in martial arts and many famous fighters have xome from it but I really feel like its a worthless black belt if you haven't also done lots of boxing at which point why not skip the line and just do kickboxing from day 1.

https://youtu.be/78314zZFq30
>>
>>99833
>one old vid of two nobodies
There are enough pro-fighters that have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that kyokushin/full contact karate is effective.
There have been enough kyokushin fighters to beat muay thai fighters and boxers to prove it is just as effective if not more effective then those two arts at producing good fighters.

Honestly I think you are just trying to bait and being inflammatory.
>>
>>99834
>nobodies
I think it's Matsui in video
>>
>>99833
>I really feel like its a worthless black belt if you haven't also done lots of boxing at which point why not skip the line and just do kickboxing from day 1
I really feel you anon. This question has been raised many times on russian karate forums and the answewr always was something like "But karate has katas which you can practice even if you 90 years old" or "But muh spirituality".
I think the only big pro of kyokushin is systemized bare knuckle conditioning.
>>
>>99834
>>99842
It is Matsui and honbu dojo black belts. Video is from the 80s. Point is this is what people who only do knockdown training look like vs even meme martial arts once you add face strikes. Someone like Andy Hug have done much training to transition to kickboxing its not like he just jumped right in.
>>
>>99843
Yeah I mean if you are into kata and that kind of history then sure its got that, but that is a funny response when the point of kyokushin was to be more practical than other karate. I guess the really good thing though is it facilitates a way to have full contact competition with less risk of cte but then the kicks to the head anyway.

Personally I am tempted to do kyokuahin anyway just because I am a weeb and did other karate before, but I can't see a functional reason to do it over muay thai.
>>
>>99833
Vid is blurry and boring as fuck but from what I can see the clicking around the karate guys throw strikes and get hits in, the taikken guys tank the hits and go to a standing clinch as soon as they get in engagement distance otherwise they try to hang back passively.
I really don't understand how you could have come to your conclusion watching the video. Seemed rather one sided in favor of karate in every place I clicked to, unless you think clinching and not landing any blows means they won the exchange and are better then the karate guys because as far as I can tell no one got knocked out or anything in whatever this gathering was.
>>
>>99867
Corrected for typos

They aren't better than the karate guys. There are maybe 2 matches in the entire video where I would say the kyokushin person lost. They are landing hits though and they are bascically just swinging wildly. Sorry if you thought I was trying to say takien or however it was even spelled is better than kyokushin. All I am saying is kyokushin doesn't teach people to protect their face. Like these people are nobodies who basically do a wing chun tier joke martial art and you see Matsui (world champion) sweep one of them once and land one solid punch. Other than that he is super stiff and awkward no distance control footwork etc all the basic problems you would expect based on the way knockdown karate is fought.
>>
>>99833
>just do kickboxing from day 1
This is the only thing you must do if you want to do real karate. I read Jon Bluming's book about his life in Japan and early days of kyokushin and how he trained. He wrote that the best kyokushin fighter and real kyokushin gym coach who taught fighting was Kenji Kurosaki and Kurosaki founded japan kickboxing.
The spirit of kyokushin lives in muay thai and kickbosing now.
>>
File: kur-2.jpg (46 KB, 271x548)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>100026
>Kenji Kurosaki
Behold the Kyokushin Bull
>>
>>99854
>Yeah I mean if you are into kata and that kind of history then sure its got that
But even in this case kyokushin is probably the worst style for learning kata, goju is probably better.
It's funny how dome kyokushin guys want to add face punches to sport rules and protective gloves and they don't understand they will get another shitty variant of kickboxing. This strange no face punches rule is what keeps kyokushin different from other styles.
>Personally I am tempted to do kyokuahin anyway just because I am a weeb and did other karate before, but I can't see a functional reason to do it over muay thai.
Yeah, me to. I also like that retarded One Punch Man mentality that kyokushin gives to you.
>>
>b-but w-we have shinken shobu rules and sometimes sparring with head punches!
https://youtu.be/Ppt8NuY1LV4?t=101
>>
https://youtu.be/ga_lYfXXxD0
>>
>>100163
How do I get my knuckles hard enough to break those blocks without hurting my hand?
>>
>>101056
Slow low intensity consistent conditioning over a long period of time.
It's very boring but it works and is the real answer.
>>
Head instructor just sprung on me that he wants me to do a weapons demonstration as part of me next test.
When I asked what he had in mind or wanted to see he basically said whatever. When I asked if anyone was going to teach me any weapon stuff that I should know he said no and would be fine with my previous training or what I learned solo.
I don't really see the point of this added requirement if he doesn't care about it.
Whatever, just tuning up my sparing, rasing my cardio, and beginning conditioning for doing breaks again.
The only thing that has the potential to messing me up is if they don't get around to teaching me and going through their version of Jin Do (which the head instructor calls chin do which confused the hell out of me when I tried looking it up to practice it on my own).
I maybe get to do it with guidance once every two weeks, so it's hard to tell if it will be any good in the 2 months to my test.

I really am not sure what to do for the weapons stuff since the formal stuff I learned was mainly two person hapkido stuff involving throws and weapon defense rather than flashy spiny stuff or actual weapon kata. The throws and weapon defense is out because using throws on people I haven't properly trained in falling is just asking for someone to get hurt (which is a instant fail) and I don't think they are reliable enough that I can teach them in such short time.
So that leave ether making shit up that looks flashy, modifying a existing kata I know to use weapons, or demonstrating fundamentals in a almost lecture format.

Just had to bitch. Sorry for being boring.
>>
>>101500
Pocket sand is the best weapon.
>>
File: 253d6b4754c9b23f.jpg (20 KB, 768x768)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>101528
>>
>>101610
Ok, let me be a little less joking about it and tell you to do a class on unconventional weapons. Threw salt packets at a dudes face to show most people try to protect (close) their eyes, brooms, yoyos, and so on.
>>
>>96274
Warriors of antiquity never trained at 100% because they knew it was fucking retarded and would leave you in a condition where you couldn't use your skills when you really needed to. Samurai & Gladiators trained with wooden weapons. Greco roman wrestlers trained in sand pits and literally invented the concept of tapping out. By your faggy logic they should have been using real swords and breaking limbs. It doesn't work there and it doesn't work in striking either.
>>
>>85392
nice
>>
>>101500
your instructor isn't preparing you for success but I would say

>modifying a existing kata I know to use weapons
do this

The principles of effective striking, distance management, and footwork while unarmed translates a lot to striking with weapons. If I were you, I'd also take some drop-in classes for weapon arts like kendo, fencing, HEMA, SEA stuff, etc. to try to extrapolate it to your karate stuff.
>>
I'm lucky enough to live near to a kyokushin dojo and a kudo dojo.
So the problem is: i can't make a decision, i don't know what to choose. I want both.
So, what is the relationship between both styles? Is it welcomed a student practices both, or there is an old conflict still kicking?
Maybe I'm thinking practice kudo and goju ryu so i have full contact and a taste of traditional karate.
What do you think?
>>
>>101856
>kudo
Low rivalry rubbish, total shit for adult amateur, you will learn nothing (striking or grappling). Mixed styles only good if you have strong base in something
>Maybe I'm thinking practice kudo and goju ryu
They have absolutely no connections stylistically, also goju ryu is rubbish
>kyokushin
More or less good. Decent rivalry in sport, strong orientation on competitiveness. No head punches rules annoying though, but this is only how you can ditch gloves
>>
In the case that I'm a sensei and a "member" of the JKA I can't use meme-mma tools like rashguards, pads and non-WKF gloves?
>>
>>101909
Isnt it possible to counter that with gloved sparring though ?
>>
>>101959
>Isnt it possible to counter that with gloved sparring though ?
No. Here is the thing. When kyokushin karatekas say they counter that by doing one sparring with gloves and head punches per week, they don't understand it's even worse.
Just putting you to sparring with head punches with no prior work and drilling is the way to give bad reflexes and teach you shit things. No one puts beginner boxer in sparring with head punches and says he now learning to hit and protect the head. Because beginners will learn from that only leaning back, closing eyes, fear of head punch, bad distance management and etc.
You better do 2 kyokushin sessions and 2 muay thai/kickboxing/boxing sessions per week, or learn kyokushin for 2-3 years and then switch to muay thai/kickboxing/boxing, or just go straight to muay thai/kickboxing/boxing from the beginning.
>>
>>101856
>kudo
Do you live in Russia or something lol.
The relationship between kudo and kyokushin is some kyokushin guys decided to compete with both judo and punches to the head and wear stupid helmets.

>>101909
Don't listen to this guy. Its correct that kudo has a lower level of competition than kyokushin because it is smaller but unless you are in your early 20s and a rop tier athlete I really don't see how that would matter. For the average Joe your decision should almost always be based on the quality of the individual club not the overall style.
>>
>>101909
>>102025
There is nothing worse then someone who is both arrogant and ignorant in equal measure.
>>
>>102064
Yeah, and here comes your post, both arrogant and ignorant in equal measure
>>
>>102214
>Butt U
>i know what you are but what am I
it's almost is like karate is for children or something.
>>
>>102215
>another fart instead of an argument
>>
>>102219
>implying there is any argument in the reply chain
>>
>>102222
Yes, there is two posts with more arguments than your shit from ass or whatever you call your posts. You have below 60 IQ that's why all you can answer is
>lmao u arrogantXDDD
>>
>>102223
>petty insults
>still acting like a child
>I totally have a real and valid argument
>take me seriously sempi
>>
>>102226
>noooo you are wrong BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!
>but I will not right where you mistaken because you now... you le child!
>>
>>102331
>right
*write
>>
File: 1655908120331.jpg (188 KB, 1060x562)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>85346
Do any of you anons lift weights? Been thinking of getting a gym membership but not sure if it's the right thing for martial arts or if I should just stick to calisthenics.
>>
File: 1G1A0496-scaled.jpg (782 KB, 2560x1707)
782 KB
782 KB JPG
>>102764

Yes. As even if you could literally kill someone because of how well trained you are, 9/10 people in the street/pub/whereever will start shit of you are not built and won't buy you are a fighter.

It's stupid as most semi pro strikers in muay thai, kickboxing, whatever are shredded. But even I have heard people make fun of how skinny my own kickboxing coach looks in the pub thinking he is weak and unable to fight, even tho he's a competitive fighter with a bunch of wins under his belt.

If your doing grappling on top of striking, like Judo, BJJ, or wrestling you straight up need to be strong and lift anyway.
>>
>>102770
Interesting, I was thinking it was necessary since old school martial artists did some form of weight training anyway (like those old fashioned kettlebells.) Makes sense though if your doing it for self defence that you would want an intimidation factor.
>>
>>102772
Its also one of the main differences between training for sport and for self defence. To optimize your performance for combat sports you pick the weight class that best suits your body, but for actual self defence being bigger will almost always be better. Statistically you aren't going to be jumped by a 5'5 guy who is 150 lbs even if that is what you are so pack on some meat.
>>
>>102764
Yeah, but my home gym is super limited and I mainly stick to "light" weights instead focusing on high volume to make up for not being able to lift heavy.

like I have a 50 pound kettlebell, two 25 pound dumbbells, and one barbell with a max I can load the bar being 100 pounds.
I also have two baby 5 pounders that I use for things and reasons.
Really wight training is only a supplement to my martial arts training rather then a fundamental part of it, so I don't feel the need to buy a gym membership or go fully into body building. Mainly because dieting sucks ass and lifting heavy has a higher risk of injury which would mess up my progress in martial arts.
>>
I do MMA and our instructor is an old karate guy. He mentioned makiwara boards were used to help strengthen your knuckles, hands and wrists. I came home and started looking online but there seem to be a handful of different types. He's going to be out of the dojo for the next two weeks so i won't see him to ask him, but what makiwara board would you recommend? Is there a middle ground between quality and price? I apologize for being a brainlet on the matter.
>>
>>103628
>Is there a middle ground between quality and price?
Building one yourself if the middle ground.
They aren't exactly complicated. It's a relatively fun and relatively low skill woodworking project that only takes at most a afternoon of work.
Cheap and fast is to use a phone book+duct tape. Doesn't hold up long term but it's pretty good for when you are just starting out since it's relatively safe and starts falling apart about the time you are ready to move on to something else.
By then the karate instructor should be back and he can give in person suggestions.

Alternatively you can get leather garden gloves, turn them inside out, and punch heavy bag for condition. As long you practice moderation and take things slow with good form it should be fine.
>>
>>103628
https://youtu.be/eY3uO23jTxg
>>
>>103680
>>103920
Neat, thanks anons.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.