[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

>Hurr push through the target
NO. You slap the target with your shin. Relaxed, fast, full bodyweight behind it. No pushing, just like you wouldn't push your punches!

This shit ranks right up there with
>Raise your shoulder when punching to protect your chin

Who thinks this shit up? Crab mentality journeymen who train noobs wrong as a joke?

In b4
>But my coach says to do it like this
Then your coach sucks. Try it on pads, enjoy padholder complaining about getting his bones rattled.
>>
>>84727
Also yes, there is a snap in the Thai roundhouse. There just isn't excessive chambering.
>>
>>84727
Are you retarded? You should absolutely protect your shin with your shoulder unless you like eating overhand rights you retard. I can’t speak on kicking but the fact you think you shouldn’t protect yourself against a counter punch tells me you don’t know dick about shit.
>>
midrange quality bait
>>
File: foreman.jpg (174 KB, 1024x688)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>84751
>>84761
>They raise their shoulders when punching
Ever thought about why successful pros don't do this?

Protip: It destroys your structure and results in weak punches.
>>
>>84751
>You should absolutely protect your shin with your shoulder
Americans...
>>
>>84881
A simple google search of “pro boxing action shot” says you’re both wrong and a stupid faggot.

Stupid faggot.
>>
>>84881
Guy in your pic is tired and both of them can hardly see. It is expected that proper form and technique degenerates as a fight goes on. Faggot.
>>
>>84727
rotating the lead foot on the jab i've seen way too many people demonstrate it this way, drives me up the fucking wall
>>
>>88116
optimally you should do this no? Most range from the free movement of the hip
>>
>>88201
lol, get in the ring instead of theorycrafting
>>
>>88201
the hell are you talking about there should be little to no hip movement when you jab. and if u twist your lead foot it makes moving with the jab even more difficult which is the main tool of the jab, the jab is a powerful weapon becuase its the only strike you can do while moving in any direction and still be ready to move or fire another jab or even hook off the jab. you cant properly follow up if you're loading up on the jab with your hip everytime you throw it, it's literally pants on head retarded to teach the jab this way.
>>
>>88254
Twisting the lead foot when you jab is a product of boxercise classes who do it because it requires more work hence a better workout. Anyone teaching you to jab that way for fighting doesn’t know what the fuck they’re doing.
>>
>>88254
lol i don't box, the jab i know is just stick out the lead hand, theorycrafting is fun no?
>>
>>84727
Ok
>>
>>84727
Ok
>>
File: 1562020913148.jpg (102 KB, 931x947)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Clenched fist all the way through, or slightly relaxed on the way and tighten on impact?
>>
>>90846
clenched fist doesn't mean tension
>>
>>90848
It absolutely does.
>>
>>90848
>
>>
>>90846
Clenched but not 100%, 100% strength on impact only.
I don't know how to explain in english well but there is a difference between contacting your muscles and excessive tension, like between running at full speed and walking.
>>
>>95443
I think you did a good job explaining desu

You fag
>>
>>84727
It depends, but if you are in punching range and aren't moving meanwhile/direct after, chances are your opponent will rattle your head with a cross counter/check hook.
>>
>>84727
>Clench your fist only as you are about to hit the target.
You never know IF you are going to hit the target let alone exactly where along the punches path the strike will land. Same thing with..
>You slap the target with your shin...
This implies you know have an extremely narrow effective range and if the opponent moves slightly outside of it you will be countered easily.
>>
>>95443
Retarded. Your fist should be ready for impact the second it leaves your stance.
>>
>>95443

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XApgXMFIlU

This guy explains it best. His youtube channel is great. People are taught only to tense on impact because beginners will throw stiff strikes if they tense before they throw, but optimally your fist should be clenched before it leaves the chamber.
>>
>>98103
Do you walk around with boxing gloves?
No you don't.
What works in a real life fight (bare hands with no wrapping) shouldn't necessarily align with what's optimal in a boxing ring.
Here's an MMA coach talking about punching power, regardless of discipline (it's in the first 2 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04D1PGsDINI
>>
>>84881
>posts an unorthodox fighter that was so because of his huge frame
nigga foreman punched like that because he was a range fighter that was confident that no one could reach far enough when he threw a punch
>>
bump
>>
Does this need it's own thread? We have like generals for every conceivable martial arts discussion..
>>
>>84727
fkin retard
>>
>>88282
you're a gigantic faggot
>>
>>84727
Why don't muay thai fighters point their toes when they roundhouse like TMA guys usually do? Is there some logic or is it just not a habit? Seems like a good way to break your toes. I know TMA guys sometimes land with the ball of the foot but they do that on purpose, no intention of landing with the shin. Like Giga Chikdaze and Lyoto Machida.

On that thought, why do you personally prefer landing with instep vs landing with shin? Shin feels less powerful and snappy to me, although I understand there are some strategic uses for it. Not once have I ever hurt myself by landing with the instep, except for when I hot the elbow on a bodyshot, and even then it's just sore a few days after.
>>
>>102887
>Why don't muay thai fighters point their toes when they roundhouse like TMA guys usually do?
Striking surface.
MT guys prefer to hit with the shin so toes are in less danger so they don't need to worry so much about toe position.
Other styles prefer to kick with the instep/top of the foot so the toes are in more danger so they do need to worry about toe position just in case.

>I know TMA guys sometimes land with the ball of the foot but they do that on purpose, no intention of landing with the shin.
It's a trade off. It's harder to do, has less power in in the kick overall, and has a higher risk, but in massively concentrates the force generated into a much smaller point, so it's devastating if it hits clean at full power.

>why do you personally prefer landing with instep vs landing with shin?
I like both and use both depending on what range I am when I throw the kick almost instinctively at this point. I don't have to think about it so I modify on the fly what feels right.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.