[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 91 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: images.jpg (11 KB, 253x199)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Discuss which combat sports are best in "da streets!" and not the cage.

TMA faggots not allowed. Your shit doesn't work under any contexts.

Which is better for street fighting, grappling or striking?

I lean towards striking as unlike the cage I have rarely seen fights in streets go to the ground.

And 9/10 rarely beyond punches being thrown so boxing would be my choice for most effective for self-defense.

I think K-1/unified kickboxing or Muay Thai would work well if you already have good boxing skills, as never met anyone who could check low leg kicks without being drilled it.

For in the streets grappling possibly Judo over wrestling as people tend to wear jackets depending on the climate where you live. Tho wrestling for the cage.

BJJ outside of standing submissions that I think Judo has anyway, I can't see having any practical use in the street. Tho obvs its the most successful style in the cage.
>>
>>84498
>Discuss which combat sports are best in "da streets!" and not the cage.
Why?
>>
>>84505

Because I have seen retards arguing about this in every martial arts or combat sports thread, so I made this thread to act as containment.
>>
>buh buh what if some other guy kicks me while im grappling
If you're up against multiple people then the only martial art worth shit is run fu. For every video where one guy beats multiple people you have thousands of unrecorded gang beatdowns.
>>
I go with boxing only.

U need ability to strike, not get hit, be on ur feet and run at the drop of a hat if cops or the opponent's boys show up.

U cant kick in jeans or tiles as falling in street is almost death.

U cant really grapple when u not sure if the mf is packing a glock or a blade or not.

U dont go for a bjj submission like a triangle choke while the other guy can bite your balls off.

Everything other than Throwing punches and dodging are irrelevent in street.

>BOXING SUPREMACY
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 275x183)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>84548

I go with powerlifting and bodybuilding. If you're a big as mutherfucker 9/10 other dudes won't even initiate violence. It's the best form of self-defence. Talk Nojutsu if you will.
>>
>>84548
"can't really grapple because he might have a gun or a knife" you're fucked if he has a gun regardless, although i agree that if you're boxing him and he pulls a knife you can still run away, where as jiu jitsu you're kind of stuck with him, or at least it's more steps to run.
"cant triangle choke because the guy might bite your balls off"
A triangle choke does not consist of putting your balls in the target's mouth. Not sure if you're baiting on that one or not, but the way a triangle choke works their head is not in position to bite you, and they cannot move their head head to move into position to bite you as you're controlling their head and neck.
"everything ot her than throwing punches and dodging are irrelevent in the street"
If someone just straight up rushes you, it is impossible that you're going to move backwards faster than they're going to move forward. If they happen to be able to take more than a few punches and initiate a grapple, you'd need some form of grappling to best counter them in my opinion.
Aside from that I agree with what you said, i guess.
>>
>>84498
boxing. simple and effective. nothing fancy. hasn't failed me.

>>84578
very true.
>>
muay thai is pretty good but i would try to avoid kicking, elbow and knees are the key to win street fights because nobody ever expect them
>>
I’m aware that a mix of boxing and grappling would be best for street self defense, but I only have enough time/money/energy to seriously practice one. I’m leaning towards boxing but I also don’t want brain damage so I’m still on the fence.
>>
>>84702
Almost literally anything you train will be fine for the streets. Moderate exercise puts you in leagues above most any “street fighter”, the important thing is to pick a martial art you like and are willing to train consistently.
>>
>>84548
>you can't kick in jeans
Maybe you can't high kick if you don't have a good pair, but really you shouldn't kick above the waist in a streetfight anyway. Unless it's 1 on 1 and you really want to get pussy that night, obviously.
>>
>>84498
>TMA faggots not allowed. Your shit doesn't work under any contexts.
Boxing and wrestling are older than kung fu and karate.

Anyway, street fighting is mostly punching and standup grappling. People rarely kick and if the fight goes to the ground it's usually over (Someone got knocken down/out or thrown on concrete).
So get your punching, headbutting, elbowing, clinching and standup grappling up to scratch and you're good to go. HOW exactly you do this doesn't matter, karate + judo, boxing + greco, weird muay thai concentrating on punching and clinching etc., everything can work as long as you have a good punch.
>>
>>84733
Also that's exactly what 19th century pugilism was, which is why those guys BTFOd anyone they fought against.
>>
>>84702
Then do boxing and tell your coach to show you the dirty clinch shit. Arm cranks, headbutts etc.
>>
>>84498
Eh I see lots of fights go to the ground though. Usually that's the end as the person on bottom can't escape mount.
>>
>>84753
That's the thing; while there are certainly tactical worries about getting kicked in the head from a guy's friends, there are way more videos of the friends being cowards and standing around while their friend gets his ass kicked - even the nigger who jump the winner the most. And usually, the guy that initiates the takedown wins the fight by finishing it with some ground & pound.

It's a danger, but it is a to a certain extent exaggerated.
>>
>>84498
>I do not like TMA and want to bitch about it in a bait thread.

FTFY
>>
>>84639
>>84548
>>84694
>>84733
>>84498

>I have only watched street fights online

Go punch someone in the mouth jesus christ
>>
>>84753
I wonder how much that has to do with the proliferation and acceptance of MMA as "the most legit form of combat sport." If people's mental model for what a fight *ought* to look like is a UFC match, grappling and jiujitsu are going to be considered honorable and clean fighting - which decreases the likelihood of outside intervention
>>
>>84793
That's retarded.
>>
>>84808
It's not that retarded I don't think
>>
What's the likely hood that I die in a street fight?
I suffer from masculinity issues that stem from being meek. I was thinking about getting into a street fight and try to prove to myself that I'm a man.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8pJHFv9zt4&ab_channel=NationalGeographic
thoughts?
>>
>>84826
why didn't you fight in school anon, get to know violence early. The adults that will fight you are probably more dangerous than you are willing to face
>>
>>84826
there's nothing manly about beating someone up on the street, you'll just get arrested like a retard

do sports
>>
>>84498
Do I know you? I am turtle
>>
>>84578
this

but you need to know some combat so I say add boxing to that
>>
>>84548
You need to know how to deal with clinching if the guy starts hugging you, especially if he's strong and starts pulling you over.
>>
>>84852
The guy you're replying to doesn't even know how triangles work.
>>
>>84856
niether do I. WTF is a triangle
>>
File: UC004.jpg (39 KB, 709x919)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>84858
>>
>>84852
Clinching is included in boxing, also a suckerpunching boxer is gonna win mos fights before they even start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ2GrBRNxY
>>
>>84790
I've brawled a bunch in the past. Ground fighting and kicking only happens in the ring.
>>
>>84498
Andrew Wiltse, a high level BJJ black belt summed this topic up perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_am9Y9IvS-s

tl;dr if you do full mma hard sparring rounds consistently that will prepare you for a self defense street fight scenario.
People delude themselves into thinking they can fight, it's not the case 99% of the time.

If you want to learn true self defense, go to an mma gym and train hard.
>>
>>84505
Isn't that the ultimate purpose of martial arts? Not every country allows concealed carry
>>
>>84991
>the ultimate purpose of martial arts is to smack around drunks not to be the best fighter you can be, overcoming other fighters.
>>
>>84844
Got beat up by 3 dudes and forces to suck one of their dicks in front of the other 2. It fucked me and turned me into a little bitch. Later in life I had 2 chances to fight and I wussed out of both.

>>84848
You're right. I honestly just can't even relax when out in public because I'm afraid someone is going to attack me.
>>
File: download.png (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>85003

This pic plus start boxing or kickboxing/muay thai (as long as has sparring) will sort you out.
>>
>>85015
based broscience poster
>>
>>85015
>sun exposure
>not icing your balls
>>
>>85015
>How To Optimize Testosterone Levels In ANTS
>>
>>85015
Retard
>>85003
Anon you have C-PTSD. See a therapist and read pic related. Once you understand your issues you can find things that will help you regain your sense of self.
>>
>>84498

Lmao yes it does. If you're sparring and pressure-testing, Karate/TKD/Kung-fu will develop fighting skills like any other art. There's not even that much of a difference between those and the standard MMA framework at a high level, and you have representatives of those arts in all levels of MMA. Not to mention Judo which is as TMA as they come and is uncontroversially effective.

To answer the OP questions, though:
1v1 grappling has the advantage, against multiple opponents striking - and more specifically, boxing - is much more reliable.

If I wanted to prepare myself for self-defense, I'd take two years of boxing and a lifetime of Judo. This will give you the tools to handle any situation you could ever need.

Your analysis of Judo vs Wrestling IMO fails on one aspect IMO. I mean your conclusion is right, Judo is better than Wrestling for that context IMO, but its not because of jackets. Rather, it's because Judo has even more emphasis on standup - and remaining standing - than Wrestling usually does. You eant to avoid the ground as much as possible unless you're absolutely sure the situation will be 1v1.
>>
>>85092
>Not to mention Judo which is as TMA as they come and is uncontroversially effective
Judo is alongside Olympic Wrestling and Boxing as one of the earlier modern martial arts. It's traditional pedagogy of lots of flow-grappling (uchi-komi), drilling, and sparring (randori) separated it from other jiujitsu koryus of the time, which evidently tended to train in a 2deadly manner.

As is often the case, the "Traditional" martial arts - think Aikido, Shotokan Karate, etc are newer than judo. Being Japanese and wearing pajamas does not a TMA make.
>>
>>85160
>Being Japanese and wearing pajamas does not a TMA make

And having sparing/competition does not make them a "modern" art either. It almost sounds like you're using being non-functional as part of the definition of a TMA which would be massively disingenuous in a discussion about their effectiveness.

I can't believe I'll actually need to sefend the fact Judo is a TMA lmao.

You're correct, the TMA label is not about age. The only TMAs that are actually old are nost Kung-fu styles, and even then lots of them only go back to the 17th century.

It's about the presence of forms/"katas" as a living manual of techniques, an emphasis on self-defense, an emphasis on mental/philosophical/spiritual (call it whatever you want) development and an emphasis on doing it the traditional way, keeping the knowledge preserved for the next generation - more about doing moves the right way than just doing them in a way that works.

Judo is absolutely a TMA. As is Kudo, since we're here - another very profficient, unarguably functional TMA.
>>
>>85073

Faggot.
>>
>>85164

OP. This was my definition of TMA. Since the we're needing to establish meaning.

I honestly don't even rate BJJ as a modern combat sport, and see it as a TMA vs Submission Wrestling which is more effective.
>>
>>85171
>stop giving OP good advice!
Why around asks questions here I’ll never know
>>
>>84498
>go to the ground.
not all grappling is "going to the ground" and is more being able to put someone on the ground. grappling is much more applicable in the real world than a lot of striking as well though a blend of both with a focus on as little rules as possible while sparing is preferd, as little protective gear too. i will say that maining the ground and trying to "fight off it" is autism 101 and anyone who parrots this shouldn't be listened to
>>
>>84545
grappling is fine but ground is the problem, if you are planning on fighting off the floor and the floor is hard and the other guy gets up before you after escaping a grapple you're literally fucked. its best to learn how to fight off the ground and avoid getting in that situation to begin with, its a last resort.
>>
>>84989
this guy sounds like a fucking faggot but i have to agree mma is probably the best thing you can get.
>>
File: 0nUBr.jpg (292 KB, 1000x1500)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>85187

Psychology is for homos. That dude just needs to pump iron, eat eggs & steak, hit other dudes, and stop being a millennial/zoomer snowflake pussy.
>>
>>85197
Ok boomer
>>
>>85172
>I honestly don't even rate BJJ as a modern combat sport, and see it as a TMA vs Submission Wrestling which is more effective.

Agreed, although that's mostly due to the way *I* was thought BJJ way back when. It had that "TMA feel" so to speak, and was more self-defense focused than competition-focused (I even learned some knife disarms).

That being said I would argue nowdays BJJ has made the transition from a Traditional Martial Art to a 100% Combat Sport in the vast, vast majority of schools (which isn't a bad thing - you sacrifice certain things and gain others).
>>
File: submission.jpg (37 KB, 500x300)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>85205

Modern BJJ is even worse. They removed takedowns ffs. People just pull guard. BJJ practitioners have to cross-train Judo just to have a complete grappling skillset.

Really there needs to be a unified jacketed grappling competition like ADCC for no-gi to fix both Judo and BJJ.
>>
>>85197
History is just movies...?
>>
What even is a street fight? An escalation of a bar argument? Getting ambushed by a couple nigs/gypsies?
>>
I find Muay Thai is pretty effective for most situations, you can deescalate a situation really quick by tying a dude up in a full clinch and just controlling from there on. But also just a short, sharp elbow thrown from that is deadly and almost always fall unnoticed. Fuck the head kicks, you’ll never have the space to throw that shit in the middle of a dancefloor or whatever crowded place you’re in. If not MT just keep it simple with boxing, great footwork and defense can go a long way against some average dude.
>>
>>85018
obviously you expose first and then ice afterwards you fucking testlet
>>
>>85332
A violent fight without any rules.
>>
>>85696
That's not a useful definition to prepare for; and there are a set of loose and unwritten rules - which is what those slobby "I would just X" krabby magoo don't get.

A bar fight is not a mugging. And it's useful to build a physical profile of the kind of person you might fight as well. Which, frankly, is going to usually be male 18-30, and above average in aggression and physical ability.
>>
>>84498
>grappling vs striking
in my uneducated and biased opinion, grappling. people say that its shit if you go against multiple opponents, but honestly anything short of a gun is shit against multiple opponents. MMA also shows that a level of grappling is an absolute fundamental you have to know in a 1v1 fight. in a grappler vs striker scenario, the grappler can get lucky and tank a few hits, but once the fight gets on the ground and the grappler gets top position, its essentially over for the striker
>i have rarely seen street fights go to the ground
half of the street fight webms on /gif/ ends by a supplex, a quarter by sucker punches, and the last quarter by ground and pound.
>judo vs wrestling
i did both. and honestly i think judo is more suited for a streetfight scenario. wrestling is great in that its nogi, leg attacks are very refined, and wrestling trains great physiques and athleticism. but i think a major downside to wrestling is that the leg takedowns you learn doesnt translate well to the street (knees hitting ground during double or single leg), and that all the turnovers you learn are useless without adjustments. Judo on the other hand is immediately useful unless the other guy is completely naked.
>>
>>85724
>half of the street fight webms on /gif/ ends by a supplex, a quarter by sucker punches, and the last quarter by ground and pound.
Half of them are situations where one party doesn't even realize they're in a fight until it's too late.
>>
>>84989
Andrew is right. It's truly retarded to only pick one martial art, and the only people I know that argue about A vs. B are the people that don't train kek
>but anon, grappling is gay because their friends can kick you in the head!
If you're going to get jumped, they will probably do it before you get to the ground, so just don't get in fights.
I train with VERY high level dudes (MMA success, ADCC medals, IBJJF double golds) and none of them ever get in fights because they know the risks and how fucking pointless it is.
>>
>>85731
To become that good requires a high level of discipline and self-control, I imagine.
>>
>>85742
Everyone gets smeshed as a noob/white belt. Once you realize how difficult fighting is, even in the limited sporting context, most people don't want to do it outside of competition. Once you've been knocked down, suplexed, or whatever at the gym by a deceptively average looking guy, you get an appreciation for how badly things can go wrong in an uncontrolled environment where you might hit your head on a hard surface.
>>
>>85197
Spot on - what a fucked up world we live in now
Yep Boomer here and we know what we're talking about when the world was a nice place to live
>>
Bootleg link for ufc fight anyone ?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (9 KB, 259x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>84850

Ty. Yup agreed powerbuilding + Boxing will keep you safe in 9/10 self defence situations.
>>
>>86018
> Yep Boomer here and we know what we're talking about when the world was a nice place to live
So why’d you fuck it up so bad?
>>
>>85726
Yes, that is a self-defense situation.

Lots of people, especially part of the MMA crowd, love to point to consensual street duels as "self-defense".

It's not.
>>
>>87423
and trained people are still far more likely to make it out of that than untrained armchair street fighters
>>
>>87423
I bet you’re the kind of faggot who sees 39164627199562 videos of combat sport athletes beating the shit out of street fighters and then says “No, those weren’t real street fights. Mma doesn’t work on the streets.”
>>
>>85726
>Half of them are situations where one party doesn't even realize they're in a fight until it's too late.
Welcome to streetfighting
>>
>>87482
Ultimately this is why learning karate and whatnot doesn’t help autismos defend themselves. It’s not because the technique is bad it’s because they can’t read the room for when someone is signaling “I’m about to fuck you up,” unless it’s explicitly said.

It’s also why stupid white liberals get mugged. They ignore the warning. Signs.
>so a guy tailed you in a bad neighborhood for two blocks and you didn’t cross the street or try to get away
>”well I had to get home and I figured he was just walking too. Plus I didn’t want to look racist. You can’t just assume someone following you alone at night is going to attack you. That would hurt their feelings”
>>
>>85197
The world has submitted to the idea of woman and men as equals and that we are one in the same. We are not I don't csre it you believe the Bible or not but Jesus said that he wouldn't return until woman and man are indistinguishable
>>
>>87593
> Jesus said that he wouldn't return until woman and man are indistinguishable
Where the fuck did he say that schizo?
>>
>>85197
>Japan then
>USA then
>Germany then
>pictures from movies
pottery
>>
File: 1642094900263.webm (2 MB, 640x640)
2 MB
2 MB WEBM
>TMA faggots not allowed. Your shit doesn't work under any contexts
>>
>>84498
Funny opinion, as the "traditional" martial arts were all about actually fighting, rivalry between schools, etc.
When you say "traditional" kung fu you have sparring. When you say "modern" kung fu it is all about forms and choreography.

The McDojo is a modern phenomenon.
>>
>>85160
You've outed yourself as a larper. Uchikomi isn't "flow-grappling".
>>
>>84498
Aikido. Use your drunk opponents weight and ki against them. Aikido teaches you how to disarm knives and Katanas as well.
>>
>>88123
Especially works if you're big/heavy. Same idea of judo but with a connecting control. I've only seen one or two 6ft+ Aikido brown/black belts.
>>
>>84498
Based
>>
>>85197
C'mon man, your pasty ass never looked like Stallone, even when Stallone looked like that. Real men aren't scared of reading books.
>>
>>87716
Anyone else feel like points karate style works the best for blacks in general? Sure there are guys like Stephen Thompson or Lyoto Machida too, but I mean they have been doing it since birth. I am just speculating that having more fast twitch muscle fibers naturally makes blacks better at the whole leaping in and out style in an actual fight.
>>
>>85073
Not him, but I'll appreciate it if the book turns out to be legit. Anything that helps me put the aggression to good use is great.
Not sure about the therapist part. It might be hard to find a male therapist, and I could use that money to do something productive or fun instead.
>>
>>88298
in an actual point fighting competition probably not. if you're not built for endurance your calves would start burning pretty early on and you'd become flat footed
>>
>>85197
>deliberate oversimplification
we weren't all gifted with minds as simple as yours, anon.
>>
>>84498
Ok
>>
File: 1614016009861.jpg (21 KB, 334x359)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/aRVGKTyzo8Y

Everyone has a plan until their testicles get crushed.
>>
>not bulking
>not doing Starting Strength
>not learning boxing+judo or just Maui Thai
>not joining a gang for group protection
>wanting to have a chance on "da shkreets"

That being said, it is what it sounds like, a "chance".
No amount of muh pressure tested martial arts can garentee protection from:
1. sucker punches and sucker grapples/takedowns
2. guns/throwable objects
3. knives/shives/even a pencil
4. baseball bats or even literally a fucking thicc enough tree twig off of a public park tree

Learn to fight so that you give off the vibe that you shouldn't be fucked with.
Actually avoid needing to fight. Even you if you do end up getting into a straight "honorable" physical altercation with some "bandit" trying to rob you, there's no garentee that you're not gona lose an eye or a tooth or that you'll ever walk away with an untouched Flawless Victory.
>>
>>89807
I saw this in action once when I was in the merchant marine. One sailor got into scrap with this Arab and the latter simply grabbed his nuts until he gave up. I couldn’t believe monkey grabs peach actually worked irl lol
>>
File: suckerss.png (2.89 MB, 1464x1244)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB PNG
>>
>>84498
I fought an intercity golden gloves champion in a street fight. He landed good on my chest and shoulder, they bruised for a week. But I knocked him out cold with a blast double and elbows until security yanked me off in seconds. I only had trained wrestling and "MMA" up to that point.
I agree that boxing is the most generally useful mainly because of movement, range, and space, but boxers tend to have problems with grapplers and bigger guys who tend to grapple even if they don't know what they're doing. Grappling is also very effective in tight spaces and indoors. Of course grappling is stupid in a potentially multi-opponent scenario so really this depends on the situation. Catch and Folk wrestling spend too much time on the ground instead of takedowns
Boxing + Freestyle or Greco-Roman Wrestling/Judo most effective
>>
>>84578
bullshit I dont know where you are from but we were always taught it isnt the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog
>>
>>91049
Hahahaha this is dyel cope. A man built like a tank will almost always win against a man that is not, regardless of fighting ability. Size matters the most, regardless of technical ability. Take the most technical fighter in the world and put him against Mike Tyson and he will get stomped.
>>
File: 34623436347.jpg (98 KB, 607x606)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>i have pent up aggression and do nothing but play videogames, so the only way i know how to relieve it is violence
>oh but i hate exercise and social interaction so joining an MMA gym is out of the question
>>
>>84498
Boxing & Jiu Jitsu
As long as you train real shit, not double leg takedown + buttscooting jitsu
>>
Wrestling + Boxing/Muay Thai.
>>
MMA fighters only learn striking because they get fired if they don't have a kickboxing match for at least 80% of every match.
>>
>>91180
Yeah, I think this is def true. Khabib dominated with five main weapons:
>Single leg
>Double leg
>Body lock
>The left hand
>And the right
>>91188
>MMA fighters only learn striking because they get fired if they don't have a kickboxing match for at least 80% of every match.
Based!
>>
While I love submission grappling, I would NOT go on the ground in a street fight. Even if it was just 1 on 1 because concrete/pavement is not ideal for groundfighting.

Ideally, if you have no choice but to fight and can't escape and you're not gonna be ganged up or ambushed by some asshole and his buddies, you keep the fight standing. Don't hit with a closed fist to the head unless you taped up your hands and wearing MMA gloves. Body punches are perfectly fine, but open palm strikes and elbows are what you should use against the face since you're unlikely to break them compared to a fist. No high kicks because you don't want to expose your genitals to a cheap shot (which is actually why old school Okinawan karate mostly had kicks no higher than the midsection). Muay cut kicks to the thigh will absolutely fuck up someone who has no idea how to check them. Knees are also good, but be careful of doing clinching/neck-wrestling because the risk of having some psycho bite your neck could happen out of a sport format.

Takedowns, sweeps, and throws are definite. Nothing will help you more than hip tossing an opponent who has no idea to breakfall on a hard surface. I wouldn't do leg picks because they can elbow you in the neck/head or even knee your face if you shoot for a double or single leg. Osoto-gari is probably your best bet to fuck someone up if you had no choice. Judo, Sambo, Greco-Roman techniques would be the ideal sources of knocking the wind (and hurting their bones from the impact) in a street fight.
>>
Boxing for sure. I practice it the least out of all the martial arts I do but it's the only thing I've ever actually used.
>>
>>84989

Kinda unrelated but
>be me
>start tkd as I’m pretty much flexible (I had a middle split before even starting)
>friend of mine joins mma at the same period
>flash foward 6 six months
>sends me a vid of thay chads raping a tkd user
>”yo come at my gym to spar your tkd ain’t worth shit you just do little foot taps and dances”
>aight fucker you asked for it
>pull up to their place
>coach is pretty cool
>”since you know eachother you can sparr”
>fake a very committed low kick
>he panic checks it
>instead I retract the leg and throw the nastiest side kick i had practiced for the occasion
>tko
>coach says I get to sparr him
>get totally raped for 5 rounds

I’m still committed to showing the mma fags that our retarded kicking CAN work and i will die trying
>>
>>91188
fucking based anon
>>91786
oh yeah?
>>
>>91922
> I’m still committed to showing the mma fags that our retarded kicking CAN work and i will die trying
I don’t know anyone who actually pays attention to MMA that would dispute that at this point. Macgregor had a TKD coach and he was one of the best strikers in the game. The problem with TKD isn’t the kicks it’s the gay rule set and scummy business tactics like handing grossly unqualified children black belts.
>>
>>91960

Nah try it on the field, is def way harder than it looks

Your kicks will get blocked by elbows on the regular, a side stance is a death sentence by low kicks and lead legs kick can lack power. Also you have to deal with kick being caught.
I have a base of boxing (1 year), with only tkd going to an mma gym is a crude awakening.

Also I got ragdolled around a lot as strikers have no ground/grappling base
>>
>>84837
Just under 10 yrs in Ohio penitentiaries. Depends on what your security status is and your institution. You can bid like that if you want to. Or you stand up when necessary other wise smart convicts try to stay off the radar. But if you want to fight there will always be someone to oblige you.
>>
>>91083
Of course if the size discrepancy is massive you fucktard. But I'm 6'1” and go between 240and 260 I'm not worried most guys physical size. So go get your body building on and try your luck.ill take the boxing and grappling over your weights and suntan oil every time
>>
>>85189
>and the other guy gets up before you after escaping a grapple you're literally fucked.
Thats when i know you know 0 about grappling, getting up quickly is one of the first things you learn in all grappling arts and you will train it
A drunk attacker or angry nigger will never get up from a scramble faster than a wrestler for example
The same way boxing has footwork and head movement besides being "just punching" grappling arts gives you important skills too
Training grappling will fix a BIG hole on your striking game and not make you any worse at fighting, try it
>>
>>84548
>U dont go for a bjj submission like a triangle choke while the other guy can bite your balls off.
You had everything right until now
The danger of the submissions is being attacked by another person, you will never be able to bite someones ball inside a locked triangle choke
Submissions absolutely WILL put people down on 1v1 situations, if you are a cocky boxer who thinks "well, if the guy can fight and gets me in a submission hold, i will just bite and scratch my way out, no rules amirite?" You will be surprised if you ever get taken down in the streets by someone who can fight and you are alone
DON'T TRAIN TO FIGHT PEOPLE WHO CAN FIGHT, TRAIN TO FIGHT TRAINED PEOPLE
Learning grappling you only make you a better fighter, give it a try
>>
>>84498
You need to learn both striking and grappling
Everyone says "just boxing cuz you dont want to be on the ground" well, if you american there are a lot of highschool and college wrestlers out there, guys who can do a nice double leg and WILL take a guy who never wrestled down, so yeah nice
You trained boxing for 3 years, you and this guys escalated on a fight, you guys go at it and you aren't able to knock him out on 2 punches before he closes the distance
Thats it you lost the fight, there is also a lot of sports that will make you a better grappler, football, hockey, rugby
So there is a ton of people who could take you down
What i'm trying to say?
After a year of boxing learn a grappling style, it will only make you a better fighter even if you never go to the ground with someone, the balance and clinch it gives you is a necessary skill
Guys who can only strike have a hole on their game bigger than guys who can only grapple
>>
>>85250
>Modern BJJ is even worse. They removed takedowns ffs. People just pull guard. BJJ practitioners have to cross-train Judo just to have a complete grappling skillset.
You are a moron, they dont removed takedowns retard, most guys pull guard because they are lazy and don't want to tire themselves working on takedowns when the fight will only end after the sub, but there is always a few guys on the gym who never pull guard and you wrestle with you, every bjj gym has judokas and wrestlers, you absolutely don't need to train other martial arts
You will have 0 takedowns if you become a pussy guard puller
"They removed takedowns" jesus christ what i had to read
>>
most fights now are unexpected, before you learn anything even a slap first learn good judgement within your powers of control. nothing romantic about survival situations.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-4jGqMH0gE
what do you think about videos like this? realistic fights or just lumpens fighting each other for beer money?
>>
>>84997
Why are you acting like self-defense skills outside of the gym wouldn't be useful?
>>
>>93206
Because nearly anything you train consistently can be used to win a street fight. The average “street fighter” is likely to be drunk and probably doesn’t even exercise. Nevermind the fact that if you’re actually concerned about your safety your better off spending your money on a gun.

I’ve been saying this for years, people get into martial arts for “self defense” but they stay because they want to fight. Competition between other fighters is not only a nobler pursuit but a far healthier one.
>>
>>84545
>unrecorded gang beatdowns.
there's a lot recorded too
>>
>>85197
retarded
>>
>>84498
Mma and other combat sports are sports and thus leave out crucial elements that could be used in a street fight. Just like how in pride, lying on you back and waiting for your opponent who is standing up was not a good idea since they could stomp on your head. But in the ufc there is not much you can do besides waiting for him to get up.

I personally think bjj puts you in a lot of situations that would be good if no rules were allowed. Its obviously really good to an extent but some stuff is there just for competition. Same with how boxing isnt the best for learning how to punch in a street fight with no gloves.
>>
>>97563
Friend, watch Sakuraba vs Goes.
Sakuraba spend 1/3 of the fight standing while Goes has his back on the ground. Yet, he manages to do nothing at all.
The problem with "streets" is that more than one guy might come. Trying to give a stomping against a guy that actually knows how to fight and is on his guard is not something so simple and a missed move means they have your leg and in two seconds you have your own back against the floor.

First half of the fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_CH7hfybc

Another interesting sequel is when Sakuraba fought Victor Belfort.
Belfort got his finger broken early in the fight and spend nearly the entire match on this same situation. Sakuraba basically kicked his legs the whole fight. Find me a boxer, kickboxer, wrestler, whatever that get a broken finger early in a fight against a top tier fighter and somehow still manages to last 15 minutes in.
>>
>>97563
>muh hecking low blows
Retard.
>>
>>87716
Lol, white shirt literally could have ended it faster if he was a boxer instead of lifting his skin jeans leg to the guys head. Hell, the punch is what got lardo discombobled.
>>
>>84702
Bruh, just do basic wrestling, learning how to sprawl, single, double, and generally getting a vague understanding of the grapple will do wonders. Dont got to learn a double swerving suplex or anything, just what to do when someones got a monkey grip on you.
>>
>>85092
Isnt greco literally all stand up?

Also, I always found judo too sensitive. don't get me wrong, throwing people around is fun, and it can usually work great on the unprepared, but I feel like you get a higher success rate, especially when you arnt spot on in your technique (see a street fight) with wresting maneuverers. I agree that a normal fight would have a lot of stand up cloths holding though. I just feel most judo is too fiddly.
>>
>>91922
You shouldn't have fought the master anon, the proper etiquette would be to respectfully decline because of his position
>>
>>99511
Greco gives you enormous core strength to turn bjj kids to ragdolls. Half of grecoroman wrestling is lifting the defending opponent from the ground and throwing him, or get him on the back where his loses the game. I cant see a wrestler losing a fight except if he gets kicked in the head or get a strong punch in the sweet spot.
>>
>>85250
>Really there needs to be a unified jacketed grappling competition like ADCC for no-gi to fix both Judo and BJJ.
Would be cool to have a grappling competition with jackets and belts mandatory that allows both pants and shorts and wrestling shoes
>>
>>84498
They all suck because a street fighting martial art should train you to win vs several untrained but potentially armed opponents. All martial arts train you to fight 1v1.

Boxing + some kicks + fast above the waist throws. You need to keep your distance in case someone has a knife. Focus on liver shots so you don't wreck your hands or ko the opponents because they will fall and hit their heads and die from brain injury and you will go to jail.

Kudo would be a great option, better than boxing, but it's inaccessible to most.

Finally go turbo aggressive because street retards are weak and you don't really have to worry about a ko too much.
>>
>>91083
you sound like a complete moron. Mike Tyson was one of the most technical fighters in the world in his day...
And you never saw Marius Pudzionowski(?) get gassed and picked apart by Tim fucking Silvaa lmao
>t. sexy ottermode whiteboy that can tear your ACL via heel grip
>>
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 168x300)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>91049
>>91083

Both of you are absolute retards. A trained fighter will beat an untrained fighter, regardless of their size 9/10 times. Tyson was an incredibly technical fighter and relatively short & small.

I am an IPF regional champ and every big guy I know who thinks they're all that from my powerlifting gym gets absolutely destroyed even by well-trained women when they have been to my MMA/BJJ gym.

But being a big ass powerbuilder means people think you can fight so don't start shit. It doesn't mean you actually can fight. It's a simple psychological trick to defeat people without fighting., just don't believe your own shit if a fight actually happens, make sure you know basic boxing.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (10 KB, 259x195)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>102040

Kudo is legit. Tho it's just MMA in a Gi and astronaut helmets. Which is great to be fair.
>>
>>102048
That + very limited ground time yeah.

>tfw headbutt into osoto gari IN SPACE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_guOyDPs1g
>>
>>93065
You don't go for submissions because the other person will be in a position to stab you. You might not even feel it because many men perceive stabs as punches when high on adrenaline. I know a story about two guys getting into a fight with a drunk. One of the guys chokes him out and they leave. Five minutes later the guy starts blacking out because he got stabbed and bled out a bunch and nobody noticed (it was winter, he was wearing a jacket).
>>
>>84997
>Fight sports' goal: become the best fighter
>Martial arts' goal: become the best fighter + philosophy

Oh well
>>
File: 3500.jpg (25 KB, 930x558)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>102119

Martial arts goal is absolutely not to become the best fighter. Objectively Aikido and Tai Chi aren't effective fighting styles vs modern MMA. They are however martial arts

Fight sports aim is to win the sport. They just happen to make the best fighters because when they have well structured flexible rules they lead to a lot of pressure testing that you don't see in TMA.

See Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA, freestyle wrestling, kickboxing, amateur boxing as fight sports that produce capable fighter due to flexible rules and amount of competition.

Fight sports with stupid rulesets that don't produce capable fighters would be Olympic Judo, WT Taekwondo, point Karate.
>>
>>102168
>Fight sports with stupid rulesets that don't produce capable fighters would be Olympic Judo, WT Taekwondo, point Karate.
Add boxing in there as well.
>>
>>102046
BJJ is highly technical. MMA is very grappling dominant. When I started judo I could brute force throws but on the ground I simply had no idea what do.
>>
File: mgrz0chdtf4gtdldnxwu.jpg (481 KB, 3200x1800)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>102213

I mean boxing by every statistic has produced multiple capable fighters in nixed art competitions. Even with minimal cross training you have seen guys get to the top rankings.

You could argue Amateur Boxing is limited in rules negating it's effectiveness, but again since the top pro boxers were almost all amateur/Olympic champs that argument doesn't hold water.
>>
>>102286
>I mean boxing by every statistic has produced multiple capable fighters in nixed art competitions.
Nobody does "boxing" in an MMA ring. Almost nothing you learn there applies. Do people really not remember all those pre-UFC era discipline vs discipline exhibition fights where boxing consistently got clowned on by every variety of grappler and kickboxer?
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 258x195)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>102288

Agreed. Tho with limited cross training it still seems to have produced some great champions who have it as their primary style such as Ngannou and Lewis no?
>>
>>102301
I think that's because even though it's not the most effective martial art out there, it still instills the roots of athleticism that are directly relevant to fighting.
>>
>>102168
>judo
This is because you just watch North American MMA, where it's a dying-dead sport. Many of the Rizin and ONE fighters have judo backgrounds. And even in NA, Ronda Rousey and Kayla Harrison have had dominant runs.
>>
File: Ayaka-Miura-DUX-9629.jpg (119 KB, 1200x800)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>102303

Western boxing & wrestling show just how critical hard conditioning is to being an effective fighter, in both the streetz! and the cage.

It seems to be something TMA especially Chinese Martial Arts as taught in the West neglect in favour of complex techniques and kata at least when I have done Wing-Chun and Shotokan Karate.

>>102318

Agreed it's debateable. I absolutely respecxt Judo as an art and effectiveness in a street fight or MMA. Just going what I have read about people online complaining Olympic Judo which much Judo conforms to now has lost effectiveness.
>>
>>102325
there is a push to bring back traditional Judo over Olympic Judo, thankfully
>>
So I know self training is a meme but I at least want to do something. What do I need for self training? I guess specifically conditioning.
>>
>>102344
Lol maybe on the internet.
>>102348
Same things you would if you wanted to get in shape. Run (a lot) and lift.
>>
>>102348

Classically striking conditioning is a fuck load of cardio and bodyweight exercises. E.g. my boxing class does a lot of running, skipping, push-ups, planks, squats, and stretching.

Grappling training was strongman type exercises, sandbag squats, pull-ups, weighted dips, dinnie stone lifting.

And honestly, although /fit/ will tell you otherwise, I.e. to do the big 3 compound lifts and HIIT or something. As a powerlifter, like I actually compete, I think the classical combat sports athlete conditioning works better than the big barbell lifts.

If you really want to do barbell training there is 531 for MMA and Practical Programming has an MMA strength routine in it. Tho obvs for either you need to run something like starting strength as memey as it is first.
>>
File: adcc-worlds-2019.jpg (105 KB, 726x960)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>102344

Ron's Rousey's mother was promoting Freestyle Judo, but it doesn't seem to be a thing. For this thread its still super effective since even Oly Judo is arguably better for da streets! than wrestling.

There is certainly no unified gi grappling competition that rewards takedowns as well as submissions in the way that Submission Wrestling/ADCC competition has made a whole bunch of folk wrestling styles relevant and kept BJJ relevant when despite dumb shit like BJJ people relying on pulling guard.
>>
>>102351
I live in the UK and there's quite a few traditional judo places here, even a whole foundation around it. founded by a jew, sure, but you can't win em all.
>>
>>84498
Anyone have the pic of the australian manlet vs tall spic?
>>
Learn as many combat sports as you can as you can, which means anything involving punching, kicking, grappling, throwing, etc. Now you have a bunch of tools in your arsenal to use at your discretion for when you believe is the right time and place to use them.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (11 KB, 300x168)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>102807

I love BJJ but modern BJJ which is almost entirely ground focused is next to useless in 9/10 fights in a bar/street/wherever.

There are objectively more useful style for the streets. Primarily bare knuckle boxing.
>>
>>84793
>>84808
>>84821
No, that's a serious concern if you're surrounded. It may be psychological, but if there's a certain way of defeating the other guy that won't result in getting jumped, and a certain other way that will, it's better to use the former method.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.