[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: KARATE.jpg (48 KB, 579x900)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Give me one good reason why i should start doing karate.
>>
>>83051
You’re a fat faggot and need the exercise, any exercise, before you have an obesity and homosexuality related heart attack
>>
>>83051
there are none, get in the dojo yesterday. Practice your kata and really participate in kumite
>>
>>83051
But there isn't any, karate is shit
>>
>>83051
Best way to train striking form and get power into your punches and kicks. Most Karate dojos lack sparring though
>>
>>83051

The girls that do the knock down styles of karate like Kyokushin are super hot. Like tightest bodies have seen man.

Bonus reason: the knockdown styles are a legit practical combat sport/fighting style, and not stupid dorky weeb bolloks like wing-chun or traditional okinawan karate.
>>
You're less likely to meet people who act like /xs/ posters IRL.
>Captcha: GAYPM
>>
>>83051
Wouldn't know, I'm bjj/muay thai, but I reckon it would be fun, and so long as it's not a meme style/McDojo it could actually be an effective fighting style, but assess your goals first, wanna compete? Maximize self defense? Just get fit? Find a hobby you enjoy? Honestly the goal you have and figuring if the style/dojo are compatible to that goal is probably more important than the martial art you choose actually is, I think that probably goes for all martial arts though.
>>
>>83289
Meh, agree to disagree. It really depends on your gym/dojo. In both TMA and MMA I've known some pretty shitty places that we're basically every bad idea from this place condensed into a business model. But yes, op should get out to socialize if nothing less.
>>
>>83051
Because Karate is fucking awesome faggot
>>
it's fun
>>
>>83051
Because you watched too much Cobra Kai and want to be like Stingray.
>>
>>83051
Because you are in your thirties and want to get into it before it's labelled midlife crisis.
>>
>>83051
Fun. Exercise. Meet new people and be part of a community. Eventually you'll be able to impress average pencil pushers with spiny shit.

If you want to get good at fighting then go some form of kickboxing and bjj/wrestling. You waste most of your time learning stupid shit in traditional martial arts. Source: 12 years kyokushin
>>
>>83051
Billy Crystal
>>
>>86684
bro you have the power of karate though, you are way more formidable than you give yourself credit for
>>
Just do the martial art that you find fun. Worry about "efficacy in a real fight"is stupid if you are not expecting to become a professional fighter. Even then, there is always some use of tradition and discipline.
>>
>>83051
an old friend of mine posts photos of his dumb ass karate sessions with their long ass belts almost touching the ground. Everytime I see another pic I just imagine how one of our 3 day trial white belts in bjj could destroy him
>>
>>83051
there isnt any start doing muay thai or (dutch) kickboxing
>>
its literally the most powerful form of fighting
>>
File: SenseiMacDonald.gif (1.19 MB, 250x339)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB GIF
>>87148
>BJJ is the ultimate martial art, three days in and I've rendered striking arts obsolete
>Hey, why are you standing up? That's not fair since my gym doesn't teach takedowns, here let's start in closed guard
Knowing how to shrimp and rear naked choke won't help when you get kneed in the chin as your fat ass waddles over for a double leg.
>>
>>83051
You'll get out of your house and off of 4chan.
>>
>>83051
Fighting
>>
>>83051
Bully people
>>
t....e...s..t
>>
a####g$$$a%%i^n
>>
>>89476
Lol
>>
>>83051
Proper karate, past all the esoterica and history and cult shit, is basically a more formalized form of MMA that's been polished and perfected over hundreds of years.
Yeah being one of the older martial arts known in the modern western world it has its fair share of crappy places. It coined the term and concept of a McDojo, but if you find a genuinely good Karate place, you'll learn tons of shit that you won't find anywhere else, and you'll be way more familiar with open MMA then those coming from wrestling or boxing alone
I've been to five different Dojo's. I've seen one where everyone screams "OOSU!" at the top of their lungs to answer everything, and aggressively knuckle up and make big shows of aggressive bowing and shit, where the Sensei told me "Oh, I'm really surprised you want to spar, normally we don't let people spar until they've practiced for a few years", and the combat was replaced with ritual sequences of dance moves.
And I've been to places where the Sensei's train regularly under Morio Higaonna himself, and have a party trick where the strong fit one punches the older guy so damn hard he gets thrown off the ground, and keeps doing so for two minutes while the older guy yawns and goads him on.
I have taken my knowledge of Karate, and fencing, into MMA gyms, and outboxed people who do MMA competitively. There's a reason people compare it to MMA, and why a lot of people say Karate is one of the better martial arts to go into MMA from. Yeah it's not the best at everything, but it covers everything in one system, you get bloody tough from the right training, and the mental side of things it cultivates is underrated as fuck and goes miles.

TL:DR. Karate can be seriously shitty, or fucking incredible, and the easiest way IME to tell, is look at how ritualized the class is, against how punishing.
>>
>>92134

If it's capped either end with some bowing, a minutes meditation, and thanking instructors or peers casually, while the classes are punishing enough to make you throw up, pass out, or get to muscle failure when you decide to try and match your instructors from day 1, that shit will take you far, even if you move onto other styles.

If you go to a place where the Sensei sets up props like wall mountings, shrines, swords, tapestries and shit, makes a big show of bowing aggressively with knuckles on floor instead of exercising moderation and gentleness when bowing, you have a limited range of shit that gets taught over several days, and there's little sparring past 'joint Kata' (which exactly defeats the point of Kata, it's like having joint shadowboxing where it's all choreographed), you probably won't get much use from it bar some flexibility training, and maybe some fitness.
>>
File: avatar_1572662607.png (47 KB, 200x200)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>87202
BJJ only works if your opponent isn't trained in Gōjū Ryu.
Which ai am.
>>
>>92139
*Goju Ryu Karate
>>
>>83051
Feet
>>
>>83056
That's a pretty good reason.
>>
File: Cobra Kai.png (822 KB, 1000x667)
822 KB
822 KB PNG
>>83051
Because you are ready to learn the way of the fist.
>>
Karate world is really diversified.
From kyokushinkai to an hobby for your mama
From k1 to (((olympic))) karate.
From tang soo do (only strikes) to wado ryu (jujutsu)
A lot of flavors.
You should start doing okinawan karate, these styles are all-around and all-in-one styles. Not only they are a mix of hard and soft styles, they usually also inherited from China the chi/ki training.
This knowledge is lost in "japanese" styles.
>>
>>83076
The funny thing is my school is the total opposite. Form and power is bad and isn't stressed as much as it should, but you can be damn sure we spar every single class.
If it wasn't for my autistic level of training outside of class odds are my form and power would suck too.
I think it's the problem of having mixed classes with little kids to adults, from low ranks, to black belts, all training together doing similar stuff at the same time.
It ends up being a lot of lowest common denominator, and limiting things to little kid attention spans, so the technical details end up falling by the wayside.
But my school is odd in a lot of ways if I think about it.
>>
>>83051
You get to see sweaty feet
>>
Just do boxing instead, head movement and good feet work put it miles ahead of karate.
>>
>>83070
Teach me how to time travel sensei muthafuggah!!!
>>
File: feet frenchee.jpg (313 KB, 866x1000)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>93318
>>94211
sniffffffffffffff
>>
>>92134
>>92136
Good post, thank you Sempai.
>>
>>87202
I like how the guy genuinely didn't have a reply for that lmao
>>
>friend does a charity boxing event
>undertrains and doesn't take event seriously, arrogant as all hell because he's a black belt in karate (hasn't been in a dojo in 5 years)
>fight begins, gets hit and reverts to karate punching
>every time he jabs left, the guy slips and hits him square in the chin because he reverted to karate form and isn't protecting his face
put me off it for life to be frank
>>
>>83080
Traditional okinawan karate is the proper form of the art you client, and they teach you grappling and bunkai. Unfortunately there aren't any judo schools where they teach you proper ju-jutsu with striking.
>>
>>87202
So much this. So, so much this. Who in their right mind goes for a double leg in a street fight?
>>
File: 1651036263753.jpg (39 KB, 735x704)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
What can I do if I don't want to hump or get humped by gay men, if I want to get beaten up by cute girls, don't have to do gay kiyaaa shouts like a retard, don't want to do retarded katas, and don't want to become more of a braindead idiot than I already am?
>>
>>98597
What do you mean by karate punching?
Less snap and more push through(sort of a side effect of bare knuckle training), or do you mean your friend is a idiot who kept dropping his hands when he punched, which is a thing that is punished in karate fights as much as it is in boxing.
>>
>>98695
his arms would go to his side on muscle memory, completely away from his face and they had absolutely no snap to them
>>
>>98777
So he is just a idiot then.
Even in karate, during sparing if you get in the habit of dropping your hands you will repeatedly get hit in the face until you ether learn to stop dropping your hands or you quit.
Even in mcdojos with no contact pseudo sparing they still tell you to keep your hands up and protect your head.

Dropping arms to the side is only appropriate when solo training stuff and punching air, because you are isolating and focusing on other aspects. It is totally inappropriate to do when there is the expectation of being hit back.
>>
>>98785
he probably had a mcdojo and was way out of practice, it was complete hubris on his part. nevertheless it still put me off karate, even if his kicks are still pretty solid.
>>
>>98643
Go to a bdsm dungeon and pay a dominatrix for a session.
>>
>>98798
Sounds good to me, anon. Are they expensive?
>>
>>98643
>wants to get beaten up
you're the fag
>>
>>98899
>you're the fag
not if it's by cute girls, retard.
>>
>>87120
Besides, whatever martial art you are doing, the biomechanics of power are the same. It's about efficient kinetic/kinematic chain.Part of that is relaxation, which is one reason TMA focus on breathing and meditative aspects (forget the mystical bullshit). The looser you can be the more efficiently you can use your whole body to generate power.
>>
>>98606

Literally never met anyone who did Okinawan Karate (i.e. "too dangerous for da streetz!!" with no sparring or full-contact competitions) who wasn't a total dork or seen classes of it that were anything but hairy gross dudes who fap to anime and couldn't actually fight for shit.

Kickboxing and full-contact karate classes had actual hot women and taught you how to actually fight.
>>
>>98643
I am so fucking tired of masochists
>>
>>98606
>grappling
They teach you """grappling""" aka total rubbish that don't work on real people. Judokas work their asses off to make some throws work, BJJs work on takedown sometimes and they still known to have shit stand up and you think your laughable throw from kiba dachi that you do like once per week for 10 minutes will do something?
>bunkai
First of all, if you have bunkai, you don't need kata. Second, techniques from bunkai are fantasies
>>
Therapy =)
>>
>>98606
>they teach you grappling
This is what okinawan karatekas actually believe
>>
>>83349
two incredible legends.
also kinda funny that it took some random korean immigrant to Make Karate Great Again (Mas Oyama, Baedal Choi
>>
Distance management (side kicks too)
>>
>>83051
People who do karate are really easy to beat up.
>>
>>102924
The problem here is that you think grappling is only sports ground grappling, which was rare even in Europe. We had Pankration groundfighting, some allusions to ground grappling in renaissance Germany (in Monte for example, but no surviving treatises) and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>103838
There is no any problem with me and you don't know what I think. No way jodan uke can be used as choke, person who wrote it never grappled in his life, this is complete nonsense and that's it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.