[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

We all know stories about how martial arts amsters get punked in street fights, how olympic athletes in wrestling, boxing and judo get smoked on the streets, and at the same time, how criminals train in the exact same martial arts that have been proven ineffective by these cases.

Why is this? Here's my theory: Basically, those masters and champions are specialized for the ring and the mat, that's why they lose against someone specialized for the street. Like a football player sucking at rugby - similar sports but different enough. Or think about Mayweather in a street fight: His style is made to exploit boxing rules, he wouldn't last long in a real altercation-
OTOH, The guys who are good with martial arts on the streets are those who are not overspecialized.
Thus, IMO, the most dangerous opponent in a real fight is into combat sports, but just a local champion at best, known for dirty fighting, with a penchant for street fights and violence. His lack of specialization for the ring may hurt his prospects in his sport though.

Discuss.
>>
File: 1640738009152.jpg (222 KB, 1125x1090)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
Let me guess. You'd just "see red" or "go for the nuts/eyes"? There's a reason why the good ol jab/cross is a mainstay. "Dirty" techniques are often just low percentage, very situational moves. Most of the time, if you're able to gouge the eyes, you're also able to just punch the dude in the face.
Training certain techniques like that might theoretically help you in a street fight, but they're almost impossible to practice, and very rarely will be useful.
Also, yes, certain competition rulesets can hamstring actual fighting potential if you don't adapt. Look at Taekwondo, for example. That's a big if, though.
All else being equal, the better fighter in the ring will still be the better fighter outside the ring.
>>
>>79853
Mayweather would dust most people on the street. The reason he fights so defensive is because he fucked up his hands and got lots of concussions from going hard as fuck in sparring. I don't even like him either.
>>
>>79853
>Or think about Mayweather in a street fight: His style is made to exploit boxing rules, he wouldn't last long in a real altercation-
Mayweather is fighting for a living, he has bodyguard for any "real altercation" and lawyers afterwards.
Why are you even street-fighting in the first place? Is this like a hooligans thing? What's the benefit apart from defending yourself out of tricky situations? What aren't you armed and numerous if there's no immediate referee?

And then, it's just an entirely loaded question. How do you know exactly that sporty types gets smoked a majority of time to make this sort of thread exactly?
>>
>>79853
God this board is terrible
>>
>>79853
The reason most people lose in a street fight is because they don't fight back.
Let's be real for a second guys the vast majority of street fights usually end with only a couple of punches being thrown. They usually involve far more yelling and shoving than actual violent contact and are usually between a guy who doesn't know how to fight and a guy who doesn't fully understand he's IN a fight.
In this way it's the downside for the MA because they're not thinking it's time to fight without the ring, don't want to do it really, things like this. It's why it's much much much more dangerous if the martial artist is drunk because alcohol lowers inhibitions and might make them enthusiastic about using techniques they never would have used on a human otherwise.
>>
>>79853
>We all know I'm so full of shit and pushing a myth that is literally so much the opposite of the truth that every year there is a few news stories talking about how a wannabe criminal gets a reality check

Ftfy
>>
Sage
>>
Sage.
>>
>>79853
Name one professional fighter that actually lost a "street fight"
I can guarantee you that even if you find an example it'll be through a sucker punch and not an actual fight.
You're not beating an Olympic wrestler because you see red and lose control kek
>>
>>79855
>the better fighter in the ring will still be the better fighter outside the ring.
That's demonstrably wrong.
Also why punch if you can hit more vulnerable points?

>>79862
He infamously can't even knock out his wife.

>>79864
>How do you know exactly that sporty types gets smoked a majority of time to make this sort of thread exactly?
Just read the news.

>>79898
Don Frye
Yuri Vlasko
Denis Boytsov
Dirk van Tichelt
etc.

Also
>implying sucker punches are not actual fights
lol gb2/pol/, incel.
>>
>>79853
>We all know stories about how martial arts amsters get punked in street fights, how olympic athletes in wrestling, boxing and judo get smoked on the streets

No I haven't read anything like that, if anything I mostly heard stories of them stopping muggers etc, even like D-tier nobodies like that one guy who worked at a 7-11 and he was a MMA champion back in his home country of kuala lumpur or something and he beat the shit out of the would-be robbers even though he's probably like 5'6

>>79893
>>79894
same
>>
File: boxer.jpg (71 KB, 628x628)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>79902
>No I haven't read anything like that, if anything I mostly heard stories of them stopping muggers etc
this
>>
>>79914
The retired marine probably served a sentence for the beating, since bongs don’t have a right to self defense
>>
>>79921
yeah but the other dude had a knife, which made him worse than a fly-tipper in the eyes of the queen's law, so he probably gold a medal instead
>>
>>79900
>That's demonstrably wrong.
Not really no. The opposite actually. 99% of street fights I've seen are two completely untrained retards throwing wild haymakers or their version of "grappling"
>>
>>79914
lol old man strength is no joke.
>>
>>79900
>demonstrably
Demonstrate it
>>
>>79853
That might be mostly due to the lack of gloves for strikers specially, unexperienced street fighters tend to overthink and then get knocked out in one or two hits by a probably worse fighter but with the right mindset and knuckle conditioning. Bare punches hit a lot harder than mma gloves. Also many of them who get their asses kicked know an ineffective style like pure tkd or karate, wich (specially in case of shotokan) can be less effective than boxing basics. Mma, muay thai, bjj or sambo practitioners tend to have it a bit easier to win
>>
>>79914
Good thing the criminal was white, or the old lad would be in jail for the rest of his natural life.
>>
>>79914
>royal marine
>having monarchical boot-licking embedded in your names
cringe
>>
>>80347
Piss off you absolute tosser
>>
>>79853
Street fighting is just improvised mma
>>
>>79853
Street fights are rarely fair
If two people squared up for a 1v1 knowing they are going to fight than the experienced fighter will always win

OP probably just knows someone who trains and is in denial that they could kick his ass with ease
>>
Sorry to tell you ladies, but the best and only way to fight someone in a street fight is to grab your opponent’s collar with your left hand use your right fist to fill his face. When done well, your opponent will have no recourse. Look at hockey fight as examples.
>>
>>81611
That is ridiculously stupid especially if you have a height or weight disadvantage. You might win a bar fight against some drunk but that just stifles your own offense.
>>
>>81611
Hockey fights take place on ice, they need to grab for balance
>>
>>79853
Martial artists CAN defeat an untrained street fighter, but they need to be able to overcome the freeze of being in real danger, and the only way to do that is to fight. The black belt might get fucked up a few times irl, but once they get the hang of it, they're golden
>>
>>79853
It all really depends on innumerable variables. Training, conditioning, strength, tenacity, tactics, environment, luck, all these play a role. Is this a "for honor" kind of fight? Are we throwing gravel in the eyes and going for the quick groin shot? Does he have a knife? Do you? Guns? Are his friends there? Are yours? Is there a bouncer? Police? Bystanders? Concrete or bouncy castle? Too many variables.

The ideal street fighter is someone who trains heavily in MMA, has excellent stand up and also good takedown and submission defense, is in perfect shape, but has also been in real street fights and is going to fight dirty and brutally with a calm mind set. A rare specimen. Even then, this ideal fighter is subject to all of the above variables.
>>
>>79853
>we all know
That this is complete nonsense?
>>
>>79853
The problem is combat sports trains you to follow a set of rules so you don’t get DSQ’d. On the streets, there are no rules. So what happens is, Joe Karate is instinctually pulling his punches so he doesn’t get carded for accidentally breaking his oppenent’s knee, meanwhile the fuck he’s fighting is going in for the kill.

If a martial artist can overcome the ‘playing by the rules’ muscle memory, they could easily clown on some streetfighter that only knows how to flail-n-wail until his opponent collapses on the ground and tries to protect his face.
>>
>>81680
>If a martial artist can overcome the ‘playing by the rules’ muscle memory, they could easily clown on some streetfighter that only knows how to flail-n-wail until his opponent collapses on the ground and tries to protect his face.
This is really only ever a significant problem with newbies or people who dont do live sparring. building from drills to sparring to competition is how you condition yourself mentally for a real fight without risking getting your head slammed on concrete. Ive never seen anyone with an amatuer fight under his belt who couldnt knock around most nobodys who think getting piss drunk at a bar makes them tough.
>>
What is it with street fighting and complete amateurs feeling they know the score?
>>
>>81733
Same reason every 5 inch weinered dumbass who cums in 2 minutes thinks hes a master in bed, they have no frame of reference otherwise and dont want to take a blow to their own ego by finding out.
>>
>>79853
>Mayweather wouldn't last long in a real altercation

You don't realize exactly how fucking retarded you sound, do you, sport?

People get "punked" in street fights because criminals jump them from behind, or with a band of friends, or use weapons, or get attacked by someone that outweighs them by significant amounts, or because they just aren't that damn good.

Anyone can "street fight", but most don't because most people aren't retards or criminals.
>>
>>79853
>We all know stories about how martial arts amsters get punked in street fights, how olympic athletes in wrestling, boxing and judo get smoked on the streets
...no
>>
>>81757
<Anyone can "street fight", but most don't because most people aren't retards or criminals.
You make it sound as if you just want to enjoy each other body.
>>
>>81680
Or, y'know, compete in a combat sport with a full contact ruleset
>>
>>83752
You sound even more retarded than the original post of this stupid thread.
>>
File: Street-fight.jpg (22 KB, 615x331)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
I am a professional fighter, fighting in Texas today. If you knew who I was, you would be in awe of I. I lurk this board and I am extremely disappointed by the blatant retardation and faggotry I see in regards to fighting.

You get smoked in the streets because

- you aren’t trying to kill them as hard and you are reacting slower.
- you can’t counter their style.
- you can’t deal with a power advantage(strength and or conditioning to take hits)

It doesn’t matter who you are, you react slower, they can attack you quicker and win. Street niggas have killer instincts that gym fags do not develop causing them to hesitate and not execute as furiously.

If you are a trophy winner grappler fag, you can get smoked by a street nigga that throws a lot of combos at you if you don’t know how to react to them.

If you are a gym boxer olympic bitch, you can get smoked by that same street nigga if he is bigger than you and his face has been conditioned to take more punches.

Most of the people who get smoked are people who train to win points, but don’t train on how to counter different styles and deal with more powerful people.

Boxing and Kickboxing give you a sense of what to do when someone is throwing punches at you and can condition you to take hits, but they don’t teach you really how to take hits from bigger people nor how to deal with grappling. This is why even though BJJ is fucking horrendous for the streets, it still gives people who train in it, some sense of what it is like to have to deal with someone stronger than you.

You never hear much about MMA fighters losing street fights because a lot of them have killer instincts, know how to counter different styles, and know how to deal with people who are conditioned to take hits. If they do lose it’s probably to someone who is just bigger and stronger to them and blitzs them.
>>
>>84426
That makes a lot of sense, not training multiple arts causes development of style blindspots

Which arts would you recommend an absolute beginner learn to avoid this?
>>
>>79929
>99% of street fights I've seen are two completely untrained retards throwing wild haymakers or their version of "grappling"
That means you are American, ie, stupid. Stop posting anytime, boy.
>>
>>84426
So basically, the most effective style is being big, strong and fast - with this, you have a fair chance even against absolute pro fighters. Am I getting this right?

So, what kind of training ia one to do for becoming this big, strong and fast? Surely, bodybuilders and powerlifters wouldn't qualify.

ie. how to turn into a nightmare for everyone, regardless of level.
>>
OK Go fight prime Fedor in a street fight see how you do
>>
File: nice pete killing.gif (26 KB, 700x481)
26 KB
26 KB GIF
>>84937
>bring gun
>shoot him
easy win
>>
>>84939
Street fight implies hand-to-hand usually
>>
>>84887
What a dumb fucking post. Don't know about the dude your replied to, but I AM an American, and I worked as a doorman in college, and served as a military member in a variety of locations ranging from Panama, Italy, Germany, France, north Africa, the U.K., and places in between. I have seen quite a few "street fights" in my time from all around the world, and the statement that 99% of them are between two untrained retards throwing haymakers and "grappling" is 100% spot on, except in some nations outside the U.S. where they kick more often, or slap at each other like bitches.

You would know that if you weren't such a pathetic little BITCH that never leaves the safety of your whore of a single mothers public housing apartment...
>>
>>84889
>the most effective style is being big, strong and fast

Spirit, technique, then body. Being big, strong and fast helps, but without having the balls to fight, or the techniques to apply properly, you'll still end up losing to those that do have those qualities, regardless of your size.
>>
>>79914
We need more of his outcomes including giving niggas the same trestment
>>
>>79914
>"SHEEEEIIIIIIIIITTTT"
>>
>>84940
Usually, but not necessarily
>>
>>79853
Ok
>>
>>79853
>starts theory on being wrong
that's funny, i've seen that phenomena so often
>>
>>79853
Lol what bullshit. A cross dressing boxer killed a would be rapist in one punch.
>>
>>79853
Kinda true aggressive fighters do well in the street. Tyson or Diaz bros are good examples.
>>
>>79853
Krav Maga techniques are generally ban from martial arts, but are some of the most effective fighting techniques.
Also ban moves like kneeing a downed opponent.
There's tons of super effective street fighting moves.
Considered unsportsmanlike due to chance of death or severe injury.
But if there was a Mortal Kombat type tournament it would be full of it.
>>
>>79898
BJ Penn
>>
>>79853
You're right, but not in the way you think you are. Jorge Masvidal put it best
>The best two moves in a street fight are a sucker punch and the 50 yard dash
>>
>>79900
if you can't even hit a jab, what chance do you have of hitting those vulnerable places? without footwork, timing, conditioning, and good fight sense your cheap shots are worthless. The trained fighter can hit all of those same weakspots and has probably poked more people in the eye by accident than you have on pupose drilling.
>>
>>81680
It's just as likely the martial artist doesn't pull his punches and enjoys the freedom to fuck someone up without a ref to get in the way.
>>
>>90820
a trained fighter has been in the right position too knee the shit out of a downed opponent and disappointed by the fact they aren't allowed to end the fight immediately more often than any non fighter has actually trained the technique. Most of the fighters I know would be far more effective with no rules.

you have to be a good fighter for those "dirty" techniques to work in the first place.
>>
>>84426
Ok LARPer
>>
Shit thread
OP should an hero
>>
>>90820
I'd hate to burst your bubble but there is no shortcut for being good at fighting.
>>
>>96842
There is, take some speed. Aggressiveness is usually the game changer.
>>
>>79853
>Why is this?
>study the Hawaiian martial art of street fighting
You'll learn to actually kill men in real combat situations

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.