[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 82 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Shnoz.jpg (228 KB, 1500x1000)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
What resorts do you guys like snowboarding at the most? My personal favorite is Red Lodge in Montana
>>
>>7797
bgnbn
>>
>>7797
Sunpeaks, kinda want to leave though, been here almost a decade now.
>>
For me, it's Mammoth
>>
>>7797
Yo Arron kyro
>>
>>7797

Furano and Madarao, comfy vibes
>>
I learned in the alps as a teen, and now all I have access to are shitty "mountains" in central pa that are covered in fake snow. I want to die bros.
>>
Mostly just stick to resorts/lodges in BC and Alberta.
>>
>>7797
>tfw I grew up going to Northstar when it was known as flatstar and was cheap as fuck, economy was good and my family could go every weekend

>its now a major vale resort and will never have its soul back

it fucking hurts having your favorite mountain gentrified
>>
I've only gone to squaw cause I hate travelling.
>>
File: file.png (183 KB, 288x520)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>7797
I really like Austrian resorts
>>
>>8979
squaw is good if crowded. i like sugar bowl. this board is doomed but maybe i can make ski / snowboard friends while its new.
>>
Groß Glockner and Saalbach in Austria are pretty decent.
>>
>>9109
yeah I just avoid mountain run
I also go to Boreal cause they have night skiing and baby-tier park features I can practice on
>>
>>7834
Why you want to leave? I've been skiing there the past couple seasons
>>
How is snowboarding in Japan? Is best place hokkaido resorts?

I've been considering moving to Japan for portion of the year to snowboard all the time.
>>
>>9428
it was super fun when i went. snow was good. parks aren't as good as US. attractive girls.

>>9415
boreal is good dude. cheap + park.
>>
>>7797
I really like Kirkwood, it's got a nice variety of terrain and usually is less crowded than other resorts
>>
>>9424
Like I said, been almost a decade. While I still love aspects of the hill, it is pretty lame terrain at least compared to the likes of whistler and revy. Don't get me wrong there is something to be said about having to get creative to get loose, but sometimes you need the terrain to meet you half way and scare you a little.
>>
I'm not super good, but I like Breckenridge and Vail.
>>
>>9428

The smaller resorts are kino, leave behind all your fancy shit and focus on what matters
>>
>>7797
Mont Tremblant, Mont St. Marie and if I'm willing to drive, Mont Saint Anne. But when I lived out in BC it was Whistler and Grouse
>>
>>9543
Heard
>>
>>7797
I'm going to Glen Eden this weekend. It's a great beginner slope but other than that it's kinda boring. Looking to branch out to Blue Mountain this winter before either the season's over or everything closes back up, whatever comes first.
>>
>>7797
Crystal Mountain by Kelowna. Closed now, apparently a chair fell and hurt people. Least when I learned it was the least busy mountain I'd ever seen. Almost no crowds ever, and ninety nine percent of the snow was real since they had so much of it. Could take a surfboard on it there was so much powder. Only a tiny terrain park, but whatever, I don't worry about that shit too much anymore. Guess I've gone full boomer.
>>
>>7797
snoqualmie pass, comfy, fun park, cool people, can openly smoke weed
>>
File: 07.jpg (157 KB, 800x562)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>9758
this desu, I've gone all around hokkaido and the best places I've been were in like Furano.
Stop at an empty hut halfway down on the last run of the day and grab a hot choc from a vending machine before going back down. its good shit man
>>
I loved breck and vail when I went out there.

This year I’ve been ripping up the ice coast, killington/Loon/sugarbush had really stacked park setups this year.
>>
>>100
>>1000
>>1111
>>2222
>>
I consider Mammoth Mountain basically the home turf. Years on that shit, but my crew takes annual trips around the country to try other mountains. Hit a shitload of places in colorado, last trip was Utah Park City. It was shit, idk why we bothered.
>>
>>11331

Furano is one of my favourites, so fucking good and empty
>>
I liked snowboarding in Tahoe but now that I'm old I'd just like to go there and eat good food and fuck
>>
>>11331
>>12456
is it true that jp mountains are like half the size of western ones?
>>
>>12513
I've only done alps and jp but I didn't really notice that much of a difference, it wouldn't surprise me if you're right though
>>
>>7797
Black diamonds in mammoth are great for people watching, the entire slope is like a chinese fire drill.
>>
>>7797
Bridger/ Bigsky gang
>>
any midwest people here? I used to go to Cascade in Wisconsin a lot since its wasn't a very far drive from Chicago and it was a pretty cool mt with a few terrain parks. There was another one in northern Michigan I went to a few times as a teenager was like a 7 hour drive but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me but it was probably the best I'd been at other than my few trips to CO.
>>
Alpine Basin was awesome
>>
>>7834 Yoo I lived there in grades 3-5, 20 now but has anything changed? Do kids still use Rayleigh or do most of them go to that gay little 30 person school on the hill?
>>
>>13505
if it was UP you went to Mt Bohemia, super sick skiing there compared to the rest of the midwest
>>
My favorite have been Alps so far. Alps have realy nice variety and you don't get bored as fast.
It suckes that everything is closed for traveling this year and I have been snowboarding in my local "mountains".
>>
>>7797
Anything in Furano, Hakuba and Valle Nevado in Chile.
>>
>>14338
nope that wasn't it I remember now it was Boyne Mt place was absolutely top tier for the area. I'll look into Mt. Bohemia though, looks like it'd be an 8 hour drive for me so probably not this year.
I wish Granite Peak had some nicer trails since its huge compared to all the others I've been to in the MW, its still okay but I feel like they could do better with the size of what they're working with. Nordic Mt in WI will always be special to me since I learned how to snowboard there.
>>
>>14435
I also forgot but if you are rich, then french alps + swiss alps too. Furano and Hakuba are also expensive, poorfag options are either inside the U.S. or Chile in South America.
>>
>>7797
Mt Baldy in SoCal is king for off-piste, steep terrain. So glad this spot will never become popular.
>>
Why isn’t there a goddamn Snowboarding General on this faggot board?
>>
>>12513

Do people actually use the entire mountain of like, Vail or Mammoth? I mean it's one thing if you live there and go 30 times a year, but if you're just visiting for a few days do you need 5k acres or w/e?
>>
>>15403

Could make one.
>>
>>15429
Guess I’m just wondering why there are 5 autistic skateboarding threads up and no snowboard discussion whatsoever.
>>
I fucked up my kneel last year, hopefully I've be able to get back out on the snow soon but I'm not confident
>>
only started riding this season but I ride in Pennsylvania...and fucking love it. but when this dumb pandemic is over, I am going to Chile or Japan.
>>
>>15510
oops, meant last season.
>>
>>7797
Have any of you guys been to Vail?
I've never had more fun than a powder day at Vail.
>>
>>15619
Vail resorts suck cock. They’re ruining ski resorts and turning them into overpriced touristy shitholes.
>>
>>8989
>snowboard for ants
>>
>>15619
lived in vail for a while, good skiing soulless town and a corporation that is sucking the life out of the sport
cant lie though the backside on a deep day is fun as fuck
>>
Bansko in Bulgaria has some nice off piste tree lines
>>
You faggots need to check out this year's King of Corbets Couloir at Jackson Hole, Wyoming - Fucking atrocious conditions, shit visibility and everybody stacking it

Tomahawks left and right lol
>>
Went snowboarding for the first time, really REALLY liked it

Diddnt wanna start a new thread, can anyone give me links to good websites and youtube channels to learn more about snowboarding?
>>
>>16083
>tomohawks
the best part was the commentators trying to sell the riders fails
>>
>>16273
Snowboard Pro Camp on Youtube is pretty decent

Also check out the Natural Selection Tour recap footage and FWT is dope
>>
I’ve been to Sierra-at-Tahoe, North Star, and Park City/Canyons so far this year.

Any day on the mountain is a great resort, but I’d consider Sierra to be the best value for the lift ticket price I paid this season. I bought a 3 day pass usable any 3 days of the season and each ticket came out to $85 per. Excellent on the backside for little side hits. Can get very busy for lines.

North Star was alright, no complaints but also nothing of note that wow-ed me. Just a fair amount of cat tracks to avoid and I found it didn’t have many side hits which are the most fun for me while riding. Like everywhere else in Tahoe, lines can get long.

Park City is fuck huge. An enormous resort and had great conditions when I went. I think you’d be able to find any variety of terrain that you’d want to board there. The place is so big, crowds are spread across the resort so lines aren’t bad ever. Park City views are a little boring though, although there are scenic areas on any mountain.

I learned to board in Beaver Creek, Colorado which is very bougie. I think I might just have nostalgia but from what I can accurately recall, it was phenomenal.

I also hit Mt Hood Meadows quite a lot during high school. Really enjoyed that resort. A bit of a zoo because it’s smaller.

I’ve also been to Heavenly. It’s okay. Can be crowded with the worst beginners and people who don’t know what they are doing cause accidents all over the place.

Resorts I would like to visit this season include Mt. Bachelor in OR, kirkwood, squaw, and mammoth. My bucket list are a resort in the alps and in Chile or Argentina.
>>
>>7797
I live in the western slope in Colorado so Breck, Copper Mountain and Telluride are my personal favorites.
>>
>>16273
transworld did a whole video for beginners
20 tricks vol 1. shouldn't be too hard to find a download
>>
>>16413
Piggybacking off this, which Tahoe area resort has the best conditions this season currently? Headed there this week and not sure which resort to hit for decent powder.
>>
>>16565
They all got dumped on like a month ago, 40in of snow should be good conditions anywhere you go.

Every time I’ve gone it’s been effectively spring skiing weather. The snow gets heavy and wet in the sun.
>>
>>15419
When I went to vail there was literally too much to explore. The back bowls alone were worth the price of admission tho

Pic unrelated: Stratton a month ago
>>
>>7797
been going to park city for a long time
been going before vale bought it
I FUKCING HATE VALE
>>
>>11365
vail fucking sucks
>>
>>7797
Stevens Pass. Usually go weekdays and when the lifts are empty and the pow is fresh. I almost always go up under blizz conditions which means 7th heaven is closed but the blues/blacks at Stevens are actually really fun, plenty of spots to lean back and carve on pow or catch some air.
>>
>>8972
Just go to Sierra
>>
>>16930
Nice. Thinking of hitting up Kirkwood and Sierra at Tahoe.
>>
>>7797
burke mountain, beaver creek is p good I used to work at whitetail for 7 years so I've was limited mostly to a small ass resort with a relatively small park.
>>
>>8877
Do you go to liberty or whitetail? lol I know what you mean
>>
Bro's this winter has been a shit for SoCal. God help us I fucking hate La nina
>>
for me it's mt baker in the states and saas fee worldwide.

everyone i know that's been to snowbird ranks it very high.

for japow, hakuba and other main island mountains shit on hokkaido. slightly less snow, but waaay better terrain

as for tahoe, fuck off we're full
>>
Belleayre, it's a comfy small east coast mountain, right down the road from Hunter which draws all the Jerrys and the Crowds, keeping Belleayre usually free and clear.
>>
>>7797
>naming your favorite Montana mountain
what, do you want califags to invade more? op gay as always
>>
where the new england homies at?

living in boston the closest areas by here are as follows

>Wachusett
the ol wawa a 1000 foot mountain that feels smaller than it is because everyone from the area goes here
>pats peak
chill little new hampshire hill thats smaller but steeper than wachusett, dope parks
>mount snow
only vt mountain that i have been twice now and i honestly think its very overrated - the whole mountain is basically a couple of giant long groomers and then theres the giant park to the side
>>
New snow today in Innsbruck. Time to ditch work early and go have some fun, boys. Anyone else in this area? I will probably go to Patscherkofel today.
>>
>>9428
I was in Niseko in 2019 and we had 4-5 consecutive 20cm+ days of the fluffiest pow I have ever ridden. I swear I would wake up to a fresh 15cm, do a few side runs off annapurra and have lunch, only to get back on the lift to another 10cm of freshies. Went on like that all week. I'd live there if I could.

Home mountain is Loveland which is cool too
>>
>>7797
Whistler is pretty based. I've skiied a heap of other resorts but apart from Japanese powder, you cant really beat the convenience and sheer size of Whistler.
>lift is literally in the middle of both sections of the village
>two fucking mountains
>gondola that goes between the peak of both mountains
Just dont go during high-season. from Dec until end of Feb is when all the aussies are there, but their summer break finishes end of Feb and they have to go back to university. March~June spring riding in Whistler is fucking great and the place is basically empty.
>>
>>9428
best powder snow and it falls in retardedly huge amounts.
last time i went snowboarding in Japan we had 60cm fall the night before and another 60cm fall that day.
talking to the locals they're like "meh this is pretty typical snowfall for this time of year" and they're not really phased by it.
nice dry silty powdery snow like icing sugar.

my recommendation is if you speak a bit of Japanese, go to the smaller resorts near some hot springs and avoid the bigger ones. you'll have heaps more fun.
>>
>>16421

I'm on the front range, Telluride worth going out of the way for over Breck area stuff?
>>
>3 Mountain biking threads at the top
>1 fucking Snowboard /general/ dying near the bottom

Fuck this gay ass board. I’m out.
>>
Just moved to Denver, only snowboarding ive done is A-Basin last march and some spots in North Carolina. Any recommendations? Would prefer something i could make a day trip so no Aspen
>>
>>19596
How are you going to ignore blue hills man? Everyone i know learned how to ski or snowboard there.
Wachusetts is fun but always busy when i go.
Loon is great, gunstock is overrated, sugerloaf is also awesome.
>>
>>20466
I'd take Breck and Copper over Telluride personally as they're both within 20 minutes or so of each other and I like the routes on them. I've been to Telluride once and it was nice but I'm more familiar with the first two
>>
>>23132
See
>>23427
Breck and Copper are about 90 minutes to 2 hours or so, (depending on traffic and where in Denver you are) from Denver going westbound on I70.
>>
File: 1280632404.gif (2.3 MB, 2347x2641)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB GIF
>>23331
cant say Ive been to Blue Hills, for me wawa is always a little closer of a drive anyways. I grew up in Connecticut and learned to ski at a similar tiny sized hill called Powder Ridge. i remember looking down the blue trail 747 for the first time after my second lesson being scared shitless of going down a "difficult" trail haha

>pic related, anyone else have a local/childhood tiny hill they grew up on or maybe still rip to this day?
>>
>>23132
What pass do you have? Can't really go wrong with any of the epic pass resorts, keystone is small but has the best park/good hike-to bowls, breck has amazing long green/blue groomers and the best high alpine (if it's open, I think imperial only just opened a week or so ago), vail is probably my favorite, 5k acres of anything your heart desires (minus true expert terrain, there are like three legit double black chutes on the frontside and they're never open), beaver creek is a great option for some variety but not really worth driving past vail for unless you like steep moguls for some reason.

copper has a world class park (and indoor tramp/foam pit facility), cooper is a long drive and pretty flat, eldora is crowded since it's close to all you frangers... I've heard good things about WP but never been. Sick bike park in the summer though.
>>
>>23435
Blue hills is super small and only has 1 lift but the trails are all wicked easy. Its usually a great place to learn and its cheap.
Im a terrible teacher though, like i know how i do the basics but i have a hard time talking someone through the simplest stuff. Couldnt even explain to my snowboarding friend how i stand up so easily.
>>
>>7797
has anyone tried powsurfing? i'm getting really intrigued by the idea but idk if we're too late into the season to get into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvd8BB1JfLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbnPLHgWvs
>>
>>7797
Nelson BC, checking in

Whitewater and Red
>>
>>23132
Loveland if you go on weekends or just hate the tunnel (you will learn to hate it)

Copper or Winter Park if you can get out on week days or you love sitting in traffic for 6 hours on weekends.
>>
>>24121
can't you just take a train to winter park?
>you will learn to hate it
my deepest sympathies for frontrangefags. i'm kind of glad the tunnel keeps you away though
>>
>>24123
yeah I feel bad for yall as well dealing with our normie ass drivers
>>
How much do you guys fiddle with your bindings? Theres so many ways to customize them, do you just get something that feels comfortable enough or do you really try to dial them in?
>>
sugarbush parks will always be the best park on the east coast imo
>>
I’m moving to Austria to a ski resort in November, anybody have any recommendations or tips?
>>
>>25657
Don't fuck with your stance too much or you'll strip your screws/inserts and have to douse them in loctite
>>
>>26138
I swap bindings often between boards, and remove my bindings when I clean, sharpen, and wax my edges. If you aren't a retard and don't cross thread you will not strip the threads in the inserts or the heads of the screws.

>>25657
With a new board, I tend to adjust my angles maybe 2-3 times to get them where I want them. Eg I bought a Rossi Sushi this year, I started out at +15/-9, moved to a +18/-3, and finally jumped to a +21/+9. I check the tension on the screws every morning that I ride, and dismount the bindings to clean, sharpen, and wax every 3-5 days ridden depending on how much riding I've done.
>>
>>7834
hows this place compare to big white
>>
>>26535
Only ever been to big white to bike, all I can say is they've got allot of rock there. From what I've heard they get twice the amount of snow and three times the amount of people, so take that as you will.
>>
>>26138
How are you striping the screws? They dont take that much force to screw on.

>>26270
Sounds like you take way better care of your stuff than i do. Ive gotten my board waxed and sharpened once in like 4 years.
I just started playing with my bindings trying to get something more comfortable but i dont actually know what im doing. Seasons basically over so i cant test any changes this year.
>>
In retaliation for sending your sperg to shit up the skii thread I am here to shit up your faggot snowboard thread. You guys are a bunch of faggots, pot heads, lowlifes and losers in general. None of you can work a slope for shit without ruining it, you think you look cool but you don't, just because you swiped your mommies credit card to buy ten grand worth of brand label gear doesn't mean you will get laid when you faceplant in front of the girls like the skill free cunts you are.
>>
>>26619
>>26270
Not the heads, worded it badly. For a few years I only had one set for two boards, so between changing boards almost daily, waxing every 3 and fucking with angles and whatnot eventually my front foot just kept coming loose. Could've been the inserts got clapped out from me overtightening
>>
>>26619
I weigh nothing and ride on the east coast, I need sharp edges to not wash out and die on ice. Keeping my kit in good shape is basically a requirement.
>>
Lol @ the ignored ski-bitch.
>>
>>14216
There's a good chance I know you dude, without doxxing myself add me on element.
>@adhdmi:matrix.org
>>
>>11060
How are the normal runs? Do they have less moguls than stevens?
>>
East Coast season is rapidly coming to an end.
Will be on my rock board in two weeks.
Feelsbadman
>>
>>24019
ex-Nelsonite here.
Whitewater is rad as fuck.
Miss that little town.
ended up leaving cuz there's fuck all in the way of good jobs there
>>
Anyone ever been to Schweitzer? I'm thinking about moving nearby next winter
>>
File: kessler2.jpg (131 KB, 720x1280)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Alpine rider confined to the ice coast checking in. my home resort, blue mountain (PA) is closing in 3 days.

On Monday I took my Kessler giant slalom board and folded the nose and was subsequently thrown over the handlebars because I put too much pressure on the nose.

Race equipment is a hoot to ride.
>>
>>23855
looks fun but seems like youd want a backyard place or somewhere to do it
>>
>>26535
big white is pretty based. big mountain, good variety in terrain, it can DUMP up there. fog can definitly be an issue but worth checking out for yourself (next year)
>>
any /park/ or /urban/ riders here?

here's some good edits/videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLdcFEKJBc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5TbSNbMXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFbFDbrHUG0&list=LL&index=41
>>
>>12825
It's a penis joke dude
>>
>>18023
Suck my dick bro the back bowls were amazing
>>
>>33195
Fuck yeah bro loon/Brighton/Killington was all time this year.

I was suprised how many different setups Woodward at killington had
>>
I live in the south of germany which doesnt realiably get good snow and has mediocre slopes at best so noone ever comes here, we have some extremely sick backcountry jumps and shit that only a few guys know about and it is absolutely kino here when we have good snow because its always just us locals, pretty comfy
>>
In terms of smaller spots, Ski Cooper is great if you're near Colorado. Breck is nice for bigger places since they've added enough terrain where the crowds aren't as bad as they used to be. For the East Coast, there are lots of good spots in New Hampshire/Vermont, Cranmore is a great place for beginners. But in general, the West just gets better conditions than the East no matter how you look at it. I learned to ride in this shitty mountain in North carolina called Wolf Ridge. Went back there a few months ago for old time's sake, that place is a hair from bankrupt judging how the rentals hadn't been waxed since the 90s and the building was about to fall apart.
>>
anyone go to an indoor snowboarding place? how is it?
I wanted to go snowboarding in the winter in the NYC area, but with no one to go with I missed my shot.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.