[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bikewash.png (729 KB, 683x750)
729 KB
729 KB PNG
Shower Sex Edition:

Post pics
Ask Questions
Discuss routes
Possible meetups?
Post stories
>>
>>77937
I washed my 5 10s that way and forgot to remove the little rocks on the tub before showering and I stepped on them. It was incredibly painful
>>
>>77937
Any Pisgah area bros around? How is the new middle black, haven't ridden it yet.
>>
>>77937
What's the most reasonable (aka cruel) way to kill a bike thief? Asking for a friend in the metaverse.
>>
>>77999 crucify him on the bike. Feet impaled and bolted on to bare pedal spindles, impale hands on the end of handlebars, light him on fire and send him down the redbull rampage course.
>>
>>77999
False saddle on top of spiked seatpost
>>
File: oneupalloy.jpg (179 KB, 1200x900)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>77999
Hit him with OneUp alloy pedals a thousand times
>>
>>77999
Can't remember the original video but same idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STI4h7NNDsU
>>
I wanna get competitive but most of the mtb scene here is 50+ boomers, and I'm only 20. Do I really gotta suck it up and play with the old men? Feel like it would be nice to race with people at my own level but I don't know where to find them.
>>
>>78122
What general area do you live? Look for an Enduro or downhill race series. Those generally attract advanced riders. That or go to a lift access bike park and and hang around people who are willing to hit the double black lines with you. If not then just have fun riding as fast as you can, time yourself and see how fast you can go
>>
>>78122
Are you worried those 50+ boomers will be above your level or under your level? Because I'm 29 and I ride with those boomers and it's obvious they've been riding for the past 30 years

Look for local facebook groups. They usually have events
>>
Where does one go to ask questions about a road bicycle?
>>
File: 1627985787654.webm (1.03 MB, 480x270)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB WEBM
>>78237
>road
>/n/
You'll grt pushed by a someone on the road
>>
Yep, 1000$ worth of damage to my bike, not epic. Sram will pay by allah for this travesty
>>
>>78247
Damn, what happened?
>>
>>78247
damn, did your SRAM universal derailleur hanger break and then it caused a chain reaction that fucked up your derailleur?
>>
>>78247
From my experience of working in a bike shop, it broke because you suck at riding and/or maintaining your drive train.
>>
There was a discussion about chain cleaning a few threads back.
Yesterday I confirmed that you can use dish soap in a Park Tool Cyclone Chain Scrubber to clean off wet lube and dry lube. You don't need to use a special degreaser or Park Tool's special compound. It also works on wax if you use that.
>>
>>78247
That sucks, what happened? Also $1k meme derailleur, what made you go for it?
>>
>>78325
>you can use dish soap
duh. I don't get people's aversion to using soap designed to be safe for cleaning flat/cookware, yet effective at removing fats and lipids. Hell, they even use it on birds when oil tankers annihilate wildlife.
>noooo, my paint, my clearcoat!
You understand paint is there to protect the metal, right? That's its job. I can only imagine that soon there will be a product to protect the plastic film people use to protect the paint on cars and bikes.
>>
>>78335
The concern wasn't about whether or not the soap would harm the bike, it was about whether or not the soap would be effective in removing the wet lube from the chain, and it was. The odd thing is that when I use it to remove dry lube, a lot of dirt comes off and suds turn brown. With the wet lube, the soap didn't change color at all and there weren't any visual signs of dirt or oil in the suds.
The jockey wheels were dirty and caked in filth. It feels nice cleaning those
>>
>>78337
>there weren't any visual signs of dirt or oil in the suds.
Sounds like there wasn't any lube on your chain, bro.
>>
>>78340
That's what makes it even weirder, the chain was too greasy which is why I wanted to clean it so badly.
>>
Can anyone recommend an alternative to the very hard to find 26x2.35 ikon rubber?
>>
>>78325
Pull your chain off and drop it in a bottle with a bit of acetone from the hardware store. shake that fuck outta it for a bit. take it out dry it and reapply lube.

That or just apply decent lube to the dirty chain and wipe the fuck outta it. Decent chain lube should have clean out the old shit a bit.
>>
>>78335
Dish soap has a habit of flogging out bearings in the hub and freehub. Same with truck wash etc. See it all the time at the shop I work at. See so many people fuck their bike from over washing. Your mileage may vary but replacing hub bearings and freehubs get expensive
>>
>>78432
My bike frequently gets covered in dust, dirt, and mud, what should I be doing? I use muc-off bike wash, rinse it off, then use an electric compressed air duster(basically a small leaf blower) to blow water out of the spots I can't wipe down
>>
>>78432
>>78442
Rinse it with water. Give it a deep clean at the end of the season or when you do hub/bearing maintenance. Yes, if you spray degreasers or let detergents/soap mix into your greased bearings you'll have a bad time. During the season you should only have to give your drivetrain a rinse or a light brushing to remove excessive grit. Wipe down your frame with a damp rag/sponge if you need it to be shiny. You don't need to autoclave parts after every ride.
>>
>>78442
I just rinse with water. And might scrub drivetrain. I am just trying to limit dirt on drivetrain and suspension. I am probably going to make a rear mudguard out of a flexible cutting board just to protect my drivetrain better, and hopefully extend the drivetrain life. Might do one up front as well to keep my fork stanchions clean.
>>
>tried on some five tens but their arch support dug into my feet
>not flat footed by any means.
Do I have to buy mtb shoes or can I get away with regular trainers?
>>
>>78462
You don't need MTB shoes, they're just much better.
>>
I used to ride my mtb everywhere as a kid but haven’t ridden since my last bike got stolen mid 00s when I was in my teens, I got into motorbikes and cars and pretty much forgot that bikes exist until very recently.
Having only ridden stuff from the 80s and 90s before jumping on a 2021 entry level hardtail feels absolutely nuts. The geo and speed of 29”! Only thing that’s taking some getting used to is the width of the handlebars but it gives you so much more control.
It actually feels like you are riding a bike instead of sat perched on top of it.
I’m still really unfit and shocked at how expensive this meme sport is but it’s the best decision I’ve made in years!
Thanks for reading my blog, merry Xmas bros
>>
>>78551
Do you notice other differences aside from speed? Like climbing ability, handling or stability maybe?
>>
>>78558
Yeah all of those. The geometry is so much better, it’s ridiculous, even with the weird stem extender thing on the front that I’m meaning to remove. The climbing can be a fun one, trying to find the right balance between wheelspinning and wheelieing. I wasn’t sure if that was the geo or whether I just have more power now that I’m an adult but I’m definitely climbing hills I would have never managed before.
The speed is the first thing you notice but the way you sit on the bike is completely different.
The suspension absolutely sucks but I’ve bought a rockshox replacement. I also bought a suspension seatpost because it’s hardtail and I’ve got a bad back but I really want a full sus and dropper post instead kek
Maybe in a year or two
>>
File: gay.jpg (37 KB, 248x602)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>78551
>unsubed
>>
>>78577
wtf is that
>>
>>78569
>even with the weird stem extender thing on the front that I’m meaning to remove
What in god's cock? Where the hell did you get that thing from? Yes please, get rid of that and cut down your steerer tube ASAP.

>I also bought a suspension seatpost because it’s hardtail and I’ve got a bad back but I really want a full sus and dropper post instead kek
Return that suspension seatpost and get a dropper instead, it will help with your back issues and it will dramatically improve your riding performance, it's one of the most revolutionary things for MTBs alongside modern geometry and tubeless (get rid of those tubes if you haven't already BTW). Don't wait a year or two to get a dropper, do it yesterday.
>>
>>78638
It came with the bike when I bought it. Removed it when I added the new fork but I’ve left quite a lot of spacers for now while I figure out the right height.
I really do want a dropper but I need the suspension seatpost at the moment while I build my strength. Ideally I would have both.
I will definitely go tubeless at some point too. Already had a puncture.
>>
>>78729
>I really do want a dropper but I need the suspension seatpost at the moment while I build my strength.
You don't need any extra strength for the dropper. Or what do you mean?

>Ideally I would have both.
That's not possible as you probably imagine.

>I will definitely go tubeless at some point too. Already had a puncture.
Just do it, the lower pressures give you much better grip.
>>
>>78733
I need to build my core strength up before I do away with it. My back is bad and I don't want it getting any worse. I'm pretty weak and I'm a Big Guy, the hardtail was fucking me up.
>>
>>78735
You need to get your ass off the seat when riding trails. If you're using a suspension seat to smooth out trails, you should be riding on pavement.
>>
>>78737
If I'm riding anything vaguely technical I do drop the saddle down and stand up.
Most of the riding I do is xc/light trails. Nothing hardcore yet but it helps a lot, it's even noticeable on road.
>>
File: 20211224_074627~01.jpg (1.45 MB, 3108x1908)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
Cant take it out for its firt ride till after Christmas. I've never wanted Christmas to be over so badly.
>>
Merry Christmas /mtb/!

Your fortune: Happy Kwanzaa!
>>
>>78773
Nice dirt jumper. I want to build one myself for the fun of it but I can find one that's already been built for much cheaper. I want one to add some variety to mtb, road cycling, and gravel cycling, but I'm not bored of those yet
>>
>>78855
Yep, jumping has been fun but ive been doing it on a very cheap hardtail and ive bent its cranks. This DJ was cheap enough to scratch that itch but also be quite and upgrade.

>>78866
My nearest mtb riding is an hour away. Ive really been temped to pick up a cheap road bike so i can ride during the week.
>>
>>78922
Sounds exhilarating. Id love to have features like that. Loccaly there arent any good steps between the small jumps and the 20 ft tall dirt jumps with gaps. I should move somewhere else.
>>
>>78995
I would just go somewhere to learn and work my way up to the 20 ft dirtjumps.
Then your local place is the best riding spot. I have to drive an hour for jumps unless I make them
>>
File: index.jpg (281 KB, 900x1600)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>78995
This was the feature I hit, it was extremely exhilarating but also pretty scary afterwards. I clearly wasn't thinking because I just saw that the lip was tiny and didn't think about the bombhole itself - I expected to maybe hop a foot and land to flat, not clear it, kek. I'm just so glad I didn't crash, I was on my own and not really wearing any gear...
>>
File: index.jpg (784 KB, 1536x2048)
784 KB
784 KB JPG
>>79018
...It felt amazing, I just scared myself with the size and the fact I wasn't wearing gear and was in the woods alone on Christmas morning, if it had gone wrong it could have been bad.
Went to a BMX pumptrack yesterday and sessioned it for about an hour to learn basics in a more controlled environment. I could feel my progression by the end and was starting to get the timing right and getting some consistent air on the smaller set of rollers on the right. Seems like a decent place to practise and get comfortable.
>>
File: cato.png (398 KB, 541x398)
398 KB
398 KB PNG
>>77937
long time bmx bros here.
used to compete at chenga, rye airfield, rays - you name it.
had a bad injury and can't ride bmx anymore.
i want a bike that i can cruise trails but also..i really want to get into taking my bike up a ski lift and ride the trails. i saw this at a giant ski resort over the summer and it sparked my urge to get back on two wheels.
i DO NOT want to spend a lot of money. i'm very advanced on a bike, but not so much a mt bike.
what are my next steps bros
>>
>>79061
>i want a bike that i can cruise trails but also..i really want to get into taking my bike up a ski lift and ride the trails. i saw this at a giant ski resort over the summer and it sparked my urge to get back on two wheels.
So you basically want an enduro bike that can take the descent at the bike park but can still be pedaled around.

>i DO NOT want to spend a lot of money.
How big is your budget?
>>
>>79068
i guess? i don't really know. wasn't sure if it was a hard tail or trail bike. really dont know. i just want to ride big wide jumpy trails. tight rocky narrow trails don't have my interest. just cruise natural but also take it down hill moutains.
>bidget
i have money to spend. but i don't want to spend more than $800. maybe if i really get into it i'd go 1-2k but this will literally be my first mt bike since 1998. my last bmx bike was probably close to 2k
>>
>>79071
>i just want to ride big wide jumpy trails.
Gotta go the aggressive hardtail or enduro bike
Cruise and bike park are not compatible.
>>79071
>800.
Will not get you anywhere unless its just for cruising fireroads or smooth trails. Gotta buy used for 1.5-2k at least. New will start from 2.5k
>>
>>79071
>but i don't want to spend more than $800
Unless you go second hand, you will be restricted to your basic XC hardtail with a cheap coil fork. You wont get a bike capable of what you want unless you spend a few thousand.
>>
>>79061
You can not get what you want for $800 unless you buy used. I would recommend a hardcore Hardtail as on the big wide jumpy trails they are as good or better than full suspension. But on trails that are not dh park dirt highways. They will be inferior.

A dh bike you can pedal would be called a freeride or superenduro bike, both outside of your budget.
>>
>>79018
That looks like a blast.
>>79003
Thats the plan, but unfortunately small jumps are an hour away and big jumps are 2 hours away. Itmakes it difficult to progress regularly
>>
Got passed by a smug boomer on an ebike who had a loud-ass camera drone automatically following him on a climb today. Fuck this world.
>>
>>78247
fat dude cycling problems
>>
>>79071
>i just want to ride big wide jumpy trails. tight rocky narrow trails don't have my interest. just cruise natural but also take it down hill moutains.
Define "down hill mountains" because something tells me that you have the wrong concept of a downhill MTB or what going downhill on a MTB means.

>but i don't want to spend more than $800.
This will get you a crappy used bike that won't be safe when you hit the big jumps, or a new one that will be destroyed after a couple big jumps.
>>
Shower sex is overrated. It never works out as well as you would think. Old man suction cup handles are the only thing that makes it work out halfway decent.
>>
>>77937
How do I get into this as a fat fag?
>>
File: ajonabike1.jpg (75 KB, 667x500)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>79219
You stop making excuses and ride.
>>
>>79220
This

Also went out for a ride on a "hiking" trail I was the only person there because the weather was shit. Came across this in the middle of nowhere. Sign said no bikes, I rode my bike through because I parked at the top and had to get back.
>>
>>79228
Hiking trails are some of the most fun trails to ride. Normally the "no bikes allowed" signs are on one side of the trail so I don't even find out I wasn't supposed to be on it until I get off.
>>
>>79239
This is different, “wilderness” is a federally designated area that allows passage by foot and *some* of the more wild types of recreation but not bikes, probably because it requires bike trails which requires large human interaction and/or vehicles which defeats the point of the wilderness designation

Whether bikes should be allowed in federal wilderness is a hot topic right now, but wilderness isn’t supposed to have much manmade stuff, it’s a preserve first and a recreation area second
>>
>>79219
Buy a bike and go cycling.
I'm a fat guy and new biker myself. No regrets, I'm getting the most exercise I've had in years and loving it even though it's winter in my country.
>>
>>79211
i grew up riding all types of trails. 25ft gaps. ive been to rays and rode the biggest trails there. this was all during my 20 years on a bmx.
downhill to me is going to killington, taking the gondola and cruising down a semi decent trail.
i don't need rocks or extra nonsense to prove anything. just smooth terrain and i would clear some doubles if they came my way. not looking to do up and down everest
>>
>>79335
Get a double suspension with 140-150 mm of travel on both ends. Less than that gets sketchy fast on such big gaps. You are not going to get that with just 800 bucks unless you find an used bargain in good condition.
>>
>>79335
I would say a new Norco shore would be good for you. Just a modern freeride bike. Not quite a huck bike though.
>>
File: Zoomerpepe.png (445 KB, 600x765)
445 KB
445 KB PNG
What should I get? Idk what should I prioritize under a 100€.
Bigger flat pedals, I feel mine are too small. Should I go aluminium or composite, composite are cheaper but idk if they'll last being bashed against rocks often.
Pants, its cold but on your legs you don't feel cold anyway. Extra protection given doesn't matter.
Making the rear rotor from 180mm to 203mm.
New stem, shorter one(50mm to 35mm)for a snappy bike
Saddle
Dropper post, short but rideable, saddle is a bigger issue.
Wait and continue saving to upgrade the damper to a charger 2.1 from a MoCo
Or buy the entrances for 4 races(like 180€ total)
>>
>>79337
>>79345
affordable? give me a brand to maybe help me steer the direction.
/xs/ are bros. thanks
>>
>>77937
so sexy my man
>>
>>77937
i wish i had such a good mountain bike, i still use my 2008 lapierre 160mm enduro bike
>>
>>79362
Composite pedals are pretty much just as good as aluminum.
Just buy some pants at a thrift store, if you are cold just wear a base layer underneath. Rotor size on the rear won't make too much of a difference. If your saddle is an issue get a better one. Ergon make some good saddles.

I would say that if your saddle sucks a good one will make the largest difference for the price.
>>
>>79391
Brand does not really matter when going for a price point. Also what you are looking for is going to be only on the used market for sub $1000
>>
>>79362
I had composite pedals(crankbrothers stamp) and now I have alloy pedals(OneUp Alloy).
You'll be just fine with composite, I bashed them so much on rocks and roots, they only had minor scratches, never even needed to replace the bolts on them. Alloy is better but not twice the price better.
>>
why are modern bikes so overpriced?

full suspension bikes about the same as buying a motorcycle and more expensive than 2nd hand cars
>>
>>79408
Because high tolerances, expensive processes and areospace materials make for an expensive product. Do you know how much it costs in machine time tooling and worker pay costs to make an all aluminum billet t6 heat treated custom part, with tight enough tolerances to press fit bearings using only a press, and to do it over and over again? It's not cheap. Go buy a dirt bike if you want it will be cheaper.
>>
The brothers sholud really look at balance and floor based martial arts. I've been skilled/lucky enough to not break any bones practising this brilliant sport and to have some brilliant saves, Stay safe lads. Thanks for beomg a wonderful community. Drunk retard out.
>>
File: mtbfd.jpg (79 KB, 716x960)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>79408
They're actually underpriced. They should cost more but they pay their techs poverty wages and bike shop techs make about $25k/yr. Go ahead and find me a car or motorcycle with a full carbon fiber frame, and the same brakes, drivetrain, tires, wheels, suspension, and cockpit that professional world class racers use and tell me how much it costs, I bet it won't be under $5k, it won't be under $15k either.
The cheapest I can find is the Ducati Superleggera and that's $100k. When Honda was selling their MotoGP bike with mirrors and lights slapped on to make it street legal, they were selling it for over $150k.
Mountain bikes have actually gotten cheaper and this is a great time to buy one since the $3k entry level aluminum models are pretty close in performance to the $7k-$12k full carbon fiber models of the same build. The only better time it was to get into mountain biking was 2019-2020 right before the dollar became worthless and prices shot up. Wireless shifting used to be $1000 for SRAM XX1 AXS, now you can get into it for $600 with GX AXS and it feels and performs exactly the same since the components are shared. The only differences between them are that XX1 uses a carbon fiber cage and better bearings while GX uses a steel cage, which is why I bought it since it's more durable and rock gardens are my shit.
>>
>>79391
Bikes are not only not affordable now, they are often not even in stock. And it's not like some brands are significantly better than others, the industry is notorious for not caring much about QA. Anyway, why don't you show us a video where we can see exactly the kind of use you want for the bike?
>>
What color tint lens for my goggles should I get if I my weather is 99% sunny. Or should I just stick with a clear lens.
>>
>>79438
I’ve tried to like a few different colors including scott chromatint whatever and I always strongly prefer clear
>>
>>79440
alright. thanks. will get clear lens.
>>
>>79438
I like to use photochromic lenses when I know I'll be moving through trees and bright exposed sections. My usual spot is all forest with plenty of shade and I'm never looking up at the sun so I use clear lenses for it.
The one thing to look out for is if your lenses distort what you're seeing, it's very subtle but if you have the opportunity to try them on, look at the ground.
>>
>>79404
What did you think of those composite stamps? I have a set of stamp 7 pedals, now, and I'm pretty happy.
>>
File: PXL_20220101_195827333.jpg (839 KB, 2040x1536)
839 KB
839 KB JPG
>>79466
I thought they were great pedals. I was going to buy them again but I wanted to try out something new. The weird thing about the Stamps is that a lot of people hate them and claim that they have terrible grip because the resin is too thick around the spindle and it keeps them making adequate contact with the bolts but I have no idea what they're going on about. In my experience, the grip has been great and I've never once slipped off them whether I riding over chunky rock and root gardens, dry and dusty trails, or sloppy peanut butter trails. If I were building a new bike, I would get the Stamps again over the OneUp alloy pedals. The OneUps are great and definitely better, but they're not twice as good.

Related: How do people keep getting shin strikes? I used to get them when I first started riding but I see experienced riders always complaining about their pedals ripping up their shins. My friend is much more experienced than I am and I usually see blood trickling down his shin from a fresh shin strike. I haven't had a shin strike since 2020.
Pic is from yesterday's gravel ride. I have to enjoy the greenery before it turns brown for the other 10 months of the year
>>
>>79472
The reason why people get shin strikes is because of bad technique, pedals or shoes. Choose one or more. But I also notice that when I slip a pedal I reflexively move the other leg out of the way.
>>
>>79472
>ow do people keep getting shin strikes? Idk, I haven't had one in the past 2 years
>>
>>79422
>They're actually underpriced
stopped reading right there, mtb prices are a fucking joke. I could buy coilovers for my car for the price of a decent front fork. Tires on the bike cost nearly 2/3 the amount of premium track tires for my car.
>>
>>79472
>shin strikes
when you start pushing yourself a bit harder, plus, the occasional one just by accident because you were paying attention. if this is happening every ride then idk. i ride clipless now anyway so i don't get them at all and maybe one or two in the year prior to switching over.
>>
Any fellows riding with non-maxxis mtb tires? I already know there is a guy here who really loves his Michelin Dh22 tires.
My DHF and DHR tires are still good and I trust them but I'm thinking about mixing it up when I wear through them and getting Vittoria Mazzas or possibly Michelin Force AM2 tires. I'm tempted to try running a faster rolling tire in the rear that's an xc/trail tire but I don't want to find out I needed more grip after I crashed. I find it interesting that some riders run Maxxis Dissector in the front and Maxxis Rekon in the back. I'm not hitting big jumps or drops but I love rock gardens and root gardens so I have more opportunities to slash the sidewall
>>
>>79691
I am running a Michelin wild Enduro on the front and a specialized eliminator on the back. So far despite being a dedicated rear tire I notice the drag on the pumptrack. Before I broke my full sus I was running a continental de baron on the front and a trail king on the back. The nicer made in Germany trail kings are way better than the cheap Chinese ones.

If I had to go out and get some new tires I would go get a set of front and rear specific Michelin wild Enduros.
I also don't really care about rolling resistance as I ride a 38lb hardtail
>>
>>79691
I would recommend Assegai EXO+ on the front and Dissector DH on the rear. A great grip and great side wall protection. Probably the best enduro tyre combo available right now.

>>79739
> Before I broke my full sus I was running a continental de baron on the front and a trail king on the back.
I have ran these in the past. Less grip than running Assegai/Dissector but noticeably fast rolling and still a great tyre combo.
>>
>>79743
>EXO anything
Kill it with fire.
>>
I've been reading reviews for the Michelin Wild Enduros and a lot of people have been experiencing the cornering knobs tearing off. I've heard they're soft but damn. I still want to try them out
>>
>>79391
A 27.5 giant trance? I see them for under 1k
Or wherever the local budget Direct to consumer mail order brand is (Commencal/polygon/canyon etc). Slx/gx tier minimum
Like a used car, avoid the ‘like new, sat unused in shed for last 3 years, needs service’ stuff as you’ll spend 100s servicing forks/shock dampers and replacing rusty cables and chains
>>
>>79848
Only fat fucks who cannot life the bike over anything are afraid of exo

>>79947
Previous generation Norco Range is good. But you can get ones that people have trashed. I know a guy who purchased one second hand and it was fucked beyond belief. He probably spent 1000 getting it fixed
>>
>>79962
>Only fat fucks who cannot life the bike over anything are afraid of exo
Or you live in rocky terrain
>>79691
Try magic mary and get dh casing if you like rocks. My rear tire doesn't have dh casing, its exo. I'm light(125lbs) and have 2 dents already and the tire in general has ALOT of tiny slashes and I can see the sealant leak every time I pump it. What kind of terrain do you ride and how hard do you ride
>>
Is it normal that a bike shop would not service my coil shock? I have gone to 2 shops and they say they will service my fork but not my shock, they will need to send it to rockshox for service.
>>
>>79978
If it's a standard 50hr service, that's easy enough to do on your own and a bike shop should be able to do it unless they don't have the parts available. I've done it myself twice and I can do it in under half an hour, but that was with an air can, I don't have any coil shocks. If it's the 200hr rebuild, that needs to go back to Rockshox or Fox, and I would assume Ohlins, DVO, Push, etc also require you to send it back. I think they sell 200 hr service kits but it's a much more complicated rebuild and it needs specialized equipment and materials.
>>
>>79974
Try actually riding your bike over the terrain instead of riding it through it you lazy fuck.
>>
>>80156
Heh I remember my first two years of mtb… 19 psi on exos, lofty unweighted riding style, full bubblegum softness on the tires, I felt invincible going down gnarly shit at 2mph

Unfortunately, to get faster, you gotta ride harder, you gotta magically pull more grip out your tires/dirt and that doesn’t happen with lofty, bounce-over-it-all kinda riding, it happens by smashing through the dirt, weighting yourself super aggressively, and trusting the traction response of your tires with your life. Heavy casings exist for a reason
>>
>>79978
Depends honestly. Air can service is easy, my damper service on my monarch air shock just needed an adaptor for the ifp along with a shock pump that can do 300psi some years need 600psi though. That and a set of vice blocks to hold the air piston/damper shaft to change the fluid and service the damper. As well as a strap wrench to take it apart. If they are replacing bushings/shims or something most shops are not going to touch it.
>>
>>80158

Sounds like cope for not having the fitness/skill to actually ride your bike.
>>
>>80148
>>80160
Coil shocks do not have a 50hr service because they have far less bath oil loss due to not having 200psi on the seals, at minimum, at all times. Generally you have to send a coil shock in for its regular damper service at 125/200 hours. And of course any bike shop, assuming liability for their work, wouldn’t risk doing it themselves when they could charge you extra and make you wait a week longer and dump all the blame on fox/sram when you inevitably do some retarded shit and break it
>>
>>80161
I think it´s just being a pussy. Used to do something similar and when my friend notices there were some changes. I started to run my tires harder and worked on having my butt in the right position in corners. Now starting to making my suspension rebound faster so I can bomb down the trail faster. My times have improved. Have to also work on properly timing jumps so I don't case them. The leg extension on the lip is better but there is still room to improve.
>>
>>80156
heh, it blew my mind when I realized I could roll over obstacles instead of going around them. It made my usual trails feel new.

Anyone recommend a lightweight chest protector or a kidney protector? I'm riding faster now but the trails I ride give me plenty of opportunities to catch a rock and get flung off a cliff or into a tree, or like what happened to my friend, flung off a cliff into a tree.
>>
>>80194
>Anyone recommend a lightweight chest protector or a kidney protector? I'm riding faster now but the trails I ride give me plenty of opportunities to catch a rock and get flung off a cliff or into a tree, or like what happened to my friend, flung off a cliff into a tree.
I use O'neal holeshot roost guard. The back is well protected. The padding on the back is thicker than on the front. I have taken some hits. The back is dented and scratched so I've used it and I can haven't felt anything. You can't use backpacks though, only hip packs. I climb with it, I just unlock the side straps though. And on hot weather its not to hot, just by taking my jersey was enough to cool me and I rode just with this sometimes
>>
>>80197
>>
>>79978
Other anons have stated most of the reasons for this, the other fun one is that it's basically like what's been going on in farming with the "Right to repair" law, some companies refuse to send the parts needed to shops that aren't "Authorised service centres" (Who pay them shekles for that) That and also some shocks are fucking retarded, e.g. you need a heat gun to service DVO coil shocks, 99% of bike shops don't have a heat gun.
>>
>>80210
>99% of bike shops don't have a heat gun.
I went to a few shops trying to find a hydraulic hose cutter so I could trim my brake hoses. Ended up buying some shears from Home Depot. BAKA my head. I tried to support the LBS and not buy from Jensen or Competitive Cyclist like I always do, and they failed me.

>>80197
Thanks for the rec. I'm looking for something lighter like the Fox Racing Baseframe SL, Leatt Airflex Stealth, and Dainese Trail Skins Pro. I have the Dainese trail skins knee and elbow pads and I've crashed in them but not on anything rocky. They held up fine and they're great for pedalling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvp-kSk-1Y
Here's a vid of one of our local expert riders riding a trail I'm extremely likely to crash on again. I'm on a short travel 29er so I'm not hitting big jumps or drops so if I go down, it's likely going to be a low speed OTB going over rocks/roots, or poor technique/too much speed in a turn.
>>
>>80218
What the fuck kind of shop doesn't have a hose cutter hah?
The heat gun thing made sense because it's not like anyone sold much DVO shit since the suntour buyout, but yeah, lacking basic tools is pretty bad.
>>
>>80229
I went to two shops, and called 2 more. 4 shops in my area didn't have hydraulic hose cutters.
>>
>>79061
Get a full suspension mullet mt bike. Aluminum frame. Used. 150mm travel +/- you should be able to find something for under $2k
>>
>>79228
>>79239
There are apps where you can look up mt bike trails. Please observe all trail rules. Don’t give the sport a bad name.

Newbs: uphill riders have the right of way over downhill riders.
>>
>>79362
Take your bike to a shop and get professionally fitted. Having the proper fit and ergos will reduce injury and increase your comfort and enjoyment on the bike. Its money well spent! Even better if they will help you do a suspension set-up for your weight and style. Then just save up as you go and buy new components periodically. I usually upgrade a few times each season. Bars, grips, saddle, tires, etc. Find what works best for you. Don’t listen to the fads.
Eventually you’ll want your own tools so you can do the work yourself. Only then will you be zen with your whip
>>
>>80252
Is bike fit just a road cyclist thing? Can't see why I would pay for someone to look at my inseam and then adjust my seat height.
>>
File: 20220108_144521.jpg (3.75 MB, 2073x3686)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
>>80252
>Take your bike to a shop and get professionally fitted
I don't think so. There's a store that does the personal saddle thing but I'm considering getting a bmx saddle as mine causes the tip of my dick go numb. They will tell me: your foot is too big for your pedals, you need a shorter stem, a new saddle and we'll move brake lever's angle.
The suspension, I can do it and I tried mixing presure/compression/rebound to help the yari get better at high speed chatter for rocky places but it either good for low speed stuff or rebound max increase pressure which will kill me. And my wrist/fingers hurt. So thats why I'm saving for a charger 2.1. Only coil advice will be useful as I don't know to what extent I should increase or keep it.
>>80218
In that case I'd go with a spine protector but I don't like having anything underneat which is why I use the oneal protector. I only use it in park/ 1 mountain where I take the bus up(I still climb 350m to connect trails but do 1300m for descent)/ jump trails near me.
>>79239
Hiking trails are very fun. I pushed a bike up a mountain, it was steep and rocky but O didn't do the descnt since there were alot of peole hiking and didn't want to kill someone by letting rocks fall. So I took a trail which was supposed to go down the mountain. I encountered >picrel. I stopped on the red cross, to view it. The landing was flat/going upwards(its half a meter from me in the picture) and I wouldn't have time to pull up the front wheel. I don't the skills necessary for this and spent like 20 minutes getting the bike down. When I finished and started going down I encountered a girl hiking and she told where to go to descend without issue and bit later an old bitch with her dog started insulting me to get off the bike to pass her as it was a hiking trail. She mentioned the yellow circle means only pedestrians but how the fuck will I know when the sign its only at the bottom of the trail/mountain.
>>
>>80285
>Can't see why I would pay for someone to look at my inseam and then adjust my seat height.
Bike fit is about much more than just that. In fact, precise seat height is only relevant for XC, in enduro and DH it's not a big issue and there are other parameters of bike fit that are much more important.
>>
>>80294
Stay off hiking trails, asshole.
>but how the fuck will I know when the sign its only at the bottom of the trail/mountain
Look at an area recreation map. Being ignorant doesn't make it OK. There would be less mtb hate among trail users if selfish jackasses, like yourself, put a bare minimum effort in checking trail acceptable use.
>inb4 I'll do whatever I want
>>
I went for a new stem and new pedals. FUNN equalizer 35mm with 10mm rise. Did the geo and it'll move my handlebar 17.76mm closer to me and 2.56mm up. And stamp 2 pedals, 114mm L- 111mm W. The ones I currently have are 94mm L - 99mm W. Descents will more comfy now.
Charger 2.1 and new saddle will wait a bit more I think but its not spring to ride alot yet.
>>
>>80294
W A L L R I D
>>
>>80308
Please Explain I am interested,but it just seems like a load of BS to me
>>
>>80365
For example, having too thin grips and a steep brake lever angle can lead to excessive arm pump and/or numbness. The placement of the cleats on your shoes might lead to knee pain. You can modify the reach and effective seat tube angle by moving the saddle along the rails, and the angle of the saddle can also cause you pain too. There's loads of information out there.
>>
>>80368
Cool, so it's nothing that I didn't already know. Roadies make it sound like magic.
>>
it hasn't rained in almost 2 weeks. Looks like next weekend is going to be prime mtb time with less peanut butter trails and more hero dirt. Forest trails might still be pretty bad but the rocky exposed trails will be perfect
>>
>>80447
Roadies are in the same position for hours, and they need that to be biomechanically efficient as well, so to them it is magic. The MTB equivalence would probably be good geometry instead of bike fit.
>>
>>80453
>rains thursday and friday all day
>>
>>80368
Mtb is very different too in that what affects your comfort will be massively different person to person, on road it's basically about positioning for maximum efficiency/power and just posture aside from that.
Case in point, I've got a really short body, really long limbs and massive hands, so I tend to ride a smaller bike with High bars and my levers angled reasonably far down as my riding position is far more over the front that most folks, equally though if you have short limbs and a long back you would likely want a lower bar and your levers closer to flat as your riding position will likely be further back.
>>
>>78579
stem extender
>>
Anyone ever used Formula brakes? I've never heard of them before and I just learned about them while building a Propain Hugene on the website(not going to buy, just curious). Looks like they're compatible with Magura master cylinders and their Cura 4 brakes are priced under the Magura MT7s.
>>
>>80751
I have formula R1’s from 2011, they’re kinda annoying to bleed
>>
>>80751
The newer ones are mineral oil based I think. They have incredible power and modulation is above average. I tested my friends propain with formulas. As a guide rsc rider I would probably upgrade to them next.
>>
>>80453

I hate that I live in a region were most trails in winter are almost unrideable
>>
File: 1602876069246.jpg (374 KB, 2014x1342)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
Propain Spindrift 2018. Any superenduro riders in here? seems like a rare bike-build-up-type
>>
>>80751
cura 4 front and rear. best break i ever got. you should also check out the Formula forks and the rearshock called MOD. i dont know how the shock rides but i have a Formula Selva fork wich is by far the best fork i ever had. same league as high end FOX parts and easy to tune.
>>
>>80879
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know why I only found out about Formula components yesterday. They make so many products and they completely slipped under my radar.

Anyone ever used Trickstuff brakes? Apparently they're great...but so are less expensive brakes.
>>
>>80751
I Have some 2011 formula "The One" brakes front and rear. They work awesome. They are also reliable given
the age, never had any problems with them. They are light as an xc brake with the stopping power of something like a hope 4 piston. I have heard that the new curas and cura 4s are even better from a guy I talked to at kannuga bike park who was running the gold cura 4s. I would recommend them to anybody.
>>
>>80878
Long travel enduro bikes are like the single most popular genre of mountain bikes right now what are you on

I think the reality is that most of 4chan is too poor for “a super____ bike” of any kind
>>
>>80953
didnt knew that. most bikes i see in parks and on my hometrails are either 200mm dh-bikes or 150-160mm trailbikes. nothing between. maybe the 180mm is more popular in Canada/US.
>>
>>80956
If you’re talking all modern bikes it’s probably just the local preferences, you’re probably seeing that because the riders are either full into DH or full into local rides with climbing, a DH-class mountain bike with a big cassette and a dropper (some of the heaviest bikes out there) is honestly a niche bike, maybe even more niche than full DH bikes.

I don’t know what you’re comparing things to but yeah you’re right, 180-190 enduro is a lot rarer than 160-170 enduro, but it’s really a small difference when these bikes are often overlapping in components, geo, weight, basically all aspects, not just travel. 160-180mm enduro bikes are super popular in America at least, but 140-160mm trail bikes just make more sense to people who aren’t actually doing DH, they probably want the light weight and playful nature of less travel if they don’t need 8 inches of rock-gobbling abilities
>>
>>80957
read:
>The most popular bikes are the highest price bike the user can afford, that was available in a local shop.
90% of the time the only style of bike considered will be road vs. mountain. The other 10% are pros or pro-sumers.
>>
File: PXL_20220115_192323201.jpg (608 KB, 2040x1536)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
Great day to ride my fellow /xs/tremists. I can't believe this park has all 3 of its black trails next to the parking lot on reasonable climbs. Too bad it's a 30-40 min drive but that's still reasonable
>>
>>80956
Yep, Right now I am riding a modern Enduro/downhill hardtail, it's not good for the back. I would totally go for a super Enduro/mini downhill bike if I could. They do 95% of what a dh bike does and pedal good enough.
>>
File: PXL_20220115_193112626.jpg (808 KB, 2040x1536)
808 KB
808 KB JPG
>>81005
Fun trail but it's nervewracking getting to the parts where you have to navigate between tight rocks. It feels like I'm going to clip a pedal or wreck my derailleur then fall onto pointy rocks
>>
File: 1640954595990.jpg (60 KB, 999x1125)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>81008
>imagine doing an OTB with the chest towards the rocks
>>
>>81006
thats the reason i bought mine 4 years ago. best decission ever! bought some hope fortus rims yesterday in a mix setup. 35widht in the front 30widht in the back. will see if this brings some extra grip-performance. but when i get it right the frontwheel should have some nasty-ass grip while the rear is a little bit faster dough to the lesser rolling resistance. what do you guys think about mixed wheels? im talking about rim width, not circumference
>>
>>81008
that look pretty chill to ride..no hard steepness and much space to evade the nasty rocks. 6/10 would ride
>>
>>81005
>evil bike
>melon optics
i can tell you have good taste my dude
>>
>>79137
>boomer films himself going uphill with an e-bike
>"h-hey guys, wanna watch me beating the steepest hills on my own?"

who the fuck is doing shit like this?? someone remember when going for a ride was about fun in the woods/self improvement and not for showing everybody in the world how badass you are with your bike? boomers by side, i see a lot of young riders doing 50% riding and 50% insta posting..kind of sad to watch.
>>
>>79391
>Propain, Norco, Canyon, rocky-mountain, nukeproof, Atherton-bikes (affordable)
>Specialized, Santa Cruz, Alutech, Evil, RAW, Trek (expensive)

maybe this will help
>>
>>81046
It's because pros have to do it to make their sponsors happy and everybody Else copys the pros.
>>
>>81036
Out of view it gets tight and rocks get bigger so you're threading through some tight spots and the rocks are really hard to roll over in some cases. Some people built table top jumps on it but it doesn't seem like you can pick up enough speed to jump the whole thing. The wideness of the trail really is nice. It's popular with hikers so there are always several of them coming up and they have plenty of time and opportunity to move out of the way. It's also easy to avoid people riding up it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH7GhxGrP9U

I'm tempted go back again tomorrow for MLK day but it seems like the forest trails have drained so I'll ride somewhere else. I just really love this chunky rocky stuff
>>
>>80751
I had them on my gt sensor 2014. but were simple 2 pot and I had to use more force than the shimano slxI 'm using now. I prefer the shimano's one.
>>
>I'm tempted to try running a faster rolling tire in the rear that's an xc/trail tire but I don't want to find out I needed more grip after I crashed
I had x king tires on my gt then switched to hellkat kenda 2.4 I notice a little bit more drag but that's what you said, i'd rather have a bit less speed and more drag and way more grip and being safer.

>>79739
>I was running a continental de baron on the front
That's the next tire i was thinking of having after using mine, i'd use both front and rear though
>>
File: PXL_20220117_224506684.jpg (707 KB, 2040x1536)
707 KB
707 KB JPG
Great day mountain biking at the birthplace of MTB. Fuck I love these techy climbs at Camp Tamarancho.
>>
What happens if I refold tyres to store them for the winter and leave them like that until I need them again on late spring? Will the beads, the rubber and the carcass be damaged by spending all that time folded? I imagine that a similar amount of time goes on from the moment they are packed until they are installed on a bike, but I want to know if anyone has had any negative experiences with this issue in particular.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.