[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: benyavar.png (357 KB, 415x521)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
Very forgotten by this board, freediving is an extreme sport that needs strong mental and physical conditioning.

Any anon here that does it, and if so where?

Also spearfishing thread.

Post stories, personal records, tips, pictures etc..
>>
My favorite freedive story:
>practice breath holding at home and at my local pool
>take vacation to Saint Thomas
>beach with clear water, a reef, and a sudden dropoff to 60+ feet
>tourists taking scuba lessons and exploring the reef
>I swim out, hyperventilate and dive straight down
>reach the same level as the scuba instructor and two tourists, like 25 feet
>wave to them
>instructor's eyes widen
>he starts frantically gesturing for me to resurface
>>
>>77016
Lmao, loved that, except for the part of
hyperventilating.

It can increase your breathhold for one dive but overall it increses the risk of blackout by ALOT.
>>
I thought this was going to be a joke thread about suicide by jumping. I didn't know freediving was a real thing.
>>
>>77016
do you mean meters? 25ft doesn't seem that deep, we would go to the bottom of the public pool all the time as kids and it was 40ft at the diving end.
>>
>>76983
What's the best inverted roller speargun I can buy under $300? I can't find a sight that has a good category selection setup
>>
>>77148
>inverted roller
No idea, I own a regular one OMER 100€ new.

I'm on europe too so I can't help you, but I'd say try finding an used one
>>
>>77137
It is real and is more extreme than half of the stuff posted here!
>>
this summer I cought my first "serious" fish, this grouper here. Was just the legal size (40 cm), a pretty young individual. Still had to sweat my ass off to find it again after the first 2 sightings and get it out of its burrow once shot. Made my pop proud that day.
>>
>>76983
I train with a local club, it's a fun activity that I'm happy I started doing.
I've done 140m dynamic in the pool and Currently at 35m on depth, I really should be at 40m on depth already but finding chances to get out to open sea and practice where I am is difficult.
Been training for the better part of two and a half years, not the best stats around but I've still got more growth ahead of me.
>>77139
It sounds about right to me, I'm a Scuba Instructor too and we do our open water drills at around that depth, you can't take basic OW students to 25 meters of depth anyway.
Also 12 meters/40ft is pretty fuckin deep for a public pool and that absolutely doesn't sound right, most diving pools are only 5 or so meters deep what country do you live in where that happens?
>>
>>77322
Congrats!

I only started now, been training freediving in a pool for 2 months and hoping to go spearfishing soon!
>>
File: PB180053.jpg (2.65 MB, 4608x3456)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
I live on a tiny ass island in australia with lots of rad spearfishing. Here is a blue grouper I got last year, makes a great curry.
>>
File: Umberto Pelizzari.jpg (89 KB, 500x336)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
what's your apnea record /xs/?
>>
>>79271
2 minutes when I was crossfaded. Idk why I'm in this thread i was looking for a scuba thread lol
>>77608
Ok. So I just got my open water, for free I might add because I kinda just slipped through the whole payment process because of other issues they were having with losing my theory test or whatever lol. Anyways, how much will it take for me to start earning money from this? If I stick to cheap as countries will getting to dive master allow me to make a living? Do you I need to become an instructor to make it more viable? Help me out scuba Chad, at the place where they trained me the girls were really cute and I want to get some tourist puss, plus I love the ocean. Any pointers would be good
>>
>>79519
DMs are pretty much useless and they only get hired in third world shitholes because Instructor Certifiers (people who are qualified to run the Instructor exams) are hard to come across in those places.

You need to be an Instructor at least if you realistically want to get a job, at 95% of dive shops running the basic open water courses are what pay all their bills so if you can't do that you aren't much use to them.

I'd recommend doing your Advanced and your Rescue as soon as possible if you genuinely want to pursue that path, Deep, Wreck, and Nitrox are also good specialties to pick up since having those lets you dive 99% of places in the world and gives you more credibility. keep in mind you need 40 dives to start a DM and 100 to start an Instructors course.
I would avoid places that run the Divemaster course over a short time frame like 2-3 weeks and opt for a place that does it more as a longer-term internship, reason being you will learn a lot more in practical skills and it will give you more dives you don't have to pay extra for, it's going to be pretty much the same upfront cost everywhere give or take like 20% since the Training Agency is the one jewing the dive shop for the learning materials and that eats up most of the cost.

But ultimately you have to take what you can get, not everyone has the most optimal choices presented to them.
Financially it's definitely a 10K+ commitment to pursue this path so keep that in mind, and dealing with tourists is definitely not for the faint of heart.
>>
>>79558
Damn, thanks for the info m8. Where did you do most your training? Thailand is cool but I was thinking of going to Sri Lanka for even cheaper cost of living so I could get more dives in. 10,000 is pretty reasonable, I'm just on an extended vacation and I don't want to come back to America with zero new skills and whatnot, I'm living off of savings. The job seems like a good fit for me because I literally just want to live by the ocean.Also fuck PADI for not fixing there shit app and website. Does that cost include equipment? I was just gonna buy used anyways
>>
>>79588
Australia, the conditions are shit here but the people are good.
COVID shuttering the international border actually made things a little nicer ironically because now instead of getting 50% useless chink tourists that can barely swim you get mostly young locals who are keen people, those are the kinds of people who are enjoyable to work with.
You are looking at almost 10k purely in course fees to do all of that shit, the training agency really jews the shops hard when it comes to handing out professional certs, it's not so bad with recreational ones, the cost of everything goes up 5-10x once you go past Divemaster.
Equipment cost can vary wildly but obviously if you want to be a professional it's expected of you that you have all of your own equipment and keep it in good order.
>>
>>79602
Gotcha. I noticed that the courses are somewhat cheap until you get to scuba instructor level. I figured a place like aus would be good for earning more cash but I'm not really opposed to living in third-world places. Is the job good for traveling or is it better to stick to one place? It seems like the instructors at my place were used to moving around. Any tips or caveats about the lifestyle you would like to share? Do the dive instructors end up shacking up or can I score some tourists? Not really my main concern but I would like to hear about other perks of the job. Chinese tourists sound bad but I'm used to customer service jobs.
>>
>>79606
People tend to move around if they are seriously pursuing it as a primary discipline, for most people though it's a second job they do casually.
Can't speak for any other country but that's what I see here.
>>
>>79677
What type of salary we talking? Also I would think Australia would be great for diving because of the great barrier reef
>>
>>79741
I'm not up there where the reef is so I can't speak for what the work environment is like up there but I've heard from others that it's a bit of a revolving door, don't quote me on that though.
It's probably the only place in the country where conditions are consistently good so there's that.
Salary isn't amazing at a basic level, a bit above minimum wage, it's really something you have to do because you want to do it not because it pays.
However if you can get higher on the ladder of qualifications or learn how to do other things that are useful like service gear your pay grade goes up significantly just like any industry, the more shit you are qualified for the more useful you are and thus the more valuable you are to potential employers.
>>
>>79271
Static 2 minutes, dynamic (swiming) 1:40

But my experience with diving is of about 3-4 months only
>>
>>79677
>>79744
Checked
Also thanks for some info, it seems like a kino job. I'm a bit over doing hard-core labor and bullshit restaurant jobs, this seems more my speed
>>
>>80201
Definitely keep working at it, you should easily be able to get 4+ mins on static with a bit of practice if you can fin for 1:40.
>>
>>80483
Thanks, hoping to reach that before summer!
>>
>sudden urge to get into spearfishing
>live in landlocked area of the UK
>don't even like fish
>>
>>82073

The furthest from the sea you can get in the UK is about 90 minutes, you have no excuse
>>
>>82073

Alot of good spearos from the UK.. I wouldn't dare tho, water must be cold AF lol
>>
I really want to get into free diving. At my local pool I could swim to the bottom of the 5 metre deep end and swim along the floor for the length of the pool (20m)
I've been practicing my breath holds and first time doing my O2 table yesterday I hit 2:45 with no contractions
my aim is 5 mins by march
anyone got any good examples for tables to practice?
https://www.freediveuk.com/co2-and-o2-training-tables-for-freediving/
I found these, they seem okay
I plan to go to mexico for some cenote dives once I'm allowed to travel again (unvax'd in Canada, so I need the current government to get booted)
I like to travel as well so I'm interested in freedive hotspots around the world
any suggestions?
>>
>>77016
seems a bit mean to terrify the scuba guy like that. did you have a beer with him after?
>>
>>77303
>more extreme
who cares
>>
>>77139
>40ft
>public pool
>youngsters allowed in that depth
found the rping tard
>>
>>84411
Thats very good if you are just.
Keep doing tables but just one a day and inside your limits, don't push yourself too push.

If you can get in a pool with people practicing apnea too that would be great, if not there are other exercises you can do before hitting the ocean. (apnea walks for example)

About spots I can't recomend much, only dived at my hometown.
>>
File: P1150056.jpg (2.11 MB, 4000x3000)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
>>78714
same guy, got this kingfish recently too. was a wild ride
>>
>>79271
Static ever was 3:18, but my dynamic is shit so probably like 45 seconds.
>>
>>76983
What
>>
>>89042
Ok
>>
>>76983
Fuck yeah. I recently got into swimming after a severe ACL injury and as I’ve healed I’ve worked my way up to 5km of freestyle a week, just bought my own snorkel gear and want to take it to the next level. Where does one start with freediving? Do the apnea exercises and repeated increase of deprivation tolerance have any adverse long-term effects on the brain?
>>
>>90980
>Where does one start with freediving?
See if you can find an entry level course to do and if you are serious about performance building see if there are training clubs/groups near you, but ultimately availability of both of these is going to vary wildly depending on location.
>any adverse long-term effects on the brain?
The honest truth is that we don't really know definitively what long term effects extreme Apnea training has on the body.
There doesn't seem to be any serious adverse effects that people have noticed but It's not an activity that has been extensively studied.
>>
>>90980
There shouldn't be any long term effects if you don't frequently push your boundaries.

I know some 50+ year old spearos who have been doing apnea all their lives and they are fine
>>
>Thread about freediving
>Scuba normies invade the thread
Freediving is a based sport and not enough people know or talk about it.
Sadly I live in north queensland and unless you are in a major city on the coast, good luck finding courses or people to actually do it with. You could probably count the number of people who regularly freedive on two hands.
>>
File: 1409021275540.gif (885 KB, 250x189)
885 KB
885 KB GIF
ignore all these retards telling you to shill out $$$ for diving courses etc etc

If you want to learn how to freedive, just go freediving
Hold your breath, dive down, clear your ears BEFORE you feel pain, don't spaz out and waste energy

Free diving is easy as fuck, cheap and fun
>>
>>91713
>north queensland
Where specifically?
There are freediving groups all up and down the east coast unless you live in some literal who town.
>>
>>91976
I live in Townsville, there was a group who did shit on magnetic island but they dont seem to anymore
>>
I haven't been free diving in years but the memory of standing on the sand 20 feet down looking up at the surface is one of the most peaceful in my life.
>>
>>77139
What public pool are you going to that's 40 feet deep?
>>
You did do your weekly co2/o2 tables, right anons?
>>
>>95163
ofc. I am having trouble finding resources on why you should limit training for 02 and co2 to different days, also why you shouldn't do them multiple times per day. Anyone help me with this? the regime seesmm weak af
>>
>>97851
Because you will end up in the hospital when you deliberately put bubbles in your bloodstream
>>
>>97860
you can get an embolism from holding your breath?
>>
>>76983
What depths do I need to equalize my ears at?
>>
>>98010
as soon as you duck dive, then at least every metre.
>>
is david blaine legit in this breath holds,or is it just a trick?
>>
>>98371
Anything beyond 15 mins is 100% someone using enriched air (more than 21% oxygen), sedatives, or both.
People who have been training all their lives and are the best in the world at statics struggle to get much past 10 mins doing it clean, even getting 8-9 mins is incredibly hard to achieve and only people who have been training for a really long time can do it.
>>
File: apu_rotfeuerfisch2.jpg (1.49 MB, 2754x8158)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>
>>99525
never tried a polespear, they seem fun as hell but can't find any for sale here.

Whats the biggest diff than a speagun?
>>
>>97851
I read that you should only do one of a kind per day..

And if you think about it when you do the tables properly your lungs will be burning up by the end of it.

The table shouldn't be much larger than 8 rounds.

Don't push yourself too much and if you can do some pool training or apnea walks with a buddy etc..

(obviously nothing beats going to to ocean frequently)
>>
>>99648
>Whats the biggest diff than a speagun?
much simpler
much quicker
but also much less range

also you can build one yourself all you need is a stick and a rubberband
>>
>>86208
Beautiful fish! Great catch anon!

Whats your setup if I may ask?
>>
>>99525
>Not spearfishing with his autistic neet gf
Its over for Apu
>>
>>99525
>>
File: apu_rotfeuerfisch.png (1.89 MB, 1754x2158)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB PNG
>>99806
he's gonna be fine, he's a frog...
his static is like 4-7 hours
>>
>>76983
I'd like to learn free dive and maybe get into spearfishing.
Where do I start?

Also I smoke cigars/cigarettes sometimes, is that a big problem?
>>
File: kreterapu4.jpg (474 KB, 500x10000)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>
File: kill fish.jpg (42 KB, 564x564)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>76983
i had no idea it was a sport, but i live on the ocean and i have a little dinghy for myself. i like to go out to this part where there's a rocky sandbar with a crevice and swim into it, i have absolutely no idea how deep it is, i'll never reach the bottom, but it's cool to see the weird plants and tiny animals and fish. i was thinking about bringing a hammer and nails and chains to try to make a chain line that i can use to pull myself deeper faster, do you think that would work? i could probably put a buoy on the end to give me a location on the surface too.
>>
>>99986
Use a buoy and preferably diving leads.

There are buoys with long plastic tubes you can attach to breathe through if you don't really care about free diving and only want to see below
>>
>>100016
>diving leads
looked this up, is it just weight to pull you down? isn't that kinda wasteful since you can't really bring them back up? results turn up LEAD the metal instead of lead as in leader, which is what i originally read that as.

buoy with breathing tube might be cool, less for like breathing all the way and more for being able to get air at the top of the crevice, not all the way to the surface
>>
>>99888
See if there's somewhere near you that can do a basic course for you, and see if there are people around you that do trips and training, as much as I hate it the best place to look for that stuff is probably facebook.
>Also I smoke cigars/cigarettes sometimes, is that a big problem?
Your performance will be worse but not even close to enough to fail an entry level course, this will only be relevant if you want to really try and get good at this.
>>
>>99888
If its only sometimes you should be fine, I smoke weed everyday an average of 2 joints and I can freedive to 12 meters, 3 minutes static and maximum dive time was 2 minutes 10 seconds.

Altought I'd recommend you quit it anyway..

I started practicing in pool, and I will keep on doing it because you can't always be in the sea.

You will notice a great increase in performance when you start practicing, and a fast decrease aswell if you stop training. Thats the magic of apnea anyone can do it with proper conditioning.

Safe and happy dives anon!
>>
Anyone has used one of these when spearfishing?

Is it confortable and can you equalize just aswell?

I use regular Cressi goggles, they are super confortable on my face but the field of view is very low.
>>
>>100174
Problem is the volume of such mask so you need a lot of air to equalize them
>>
Are there apnea excercise I can do alone?
Do I really need an apnea class to go spearfishing or is apnea learnable alone?
>>
>>101184
well
you can learn to hold your breath longer
when you're sitting on your couch it's basically 100% save to do CO2 tables or just breathholding in general
the closest you can get are apnea walks
when you pass out you probably won't die but knock some teeth out or hurt yourself really bad
but... it won't really substitute training in the water, and that i would never do alone
>>
>>77139
Anon, we are not talking french feet.
>>
>>76983
Anyone done underwater photography but only freediving not scuba??

And overall what would be a good budget underwater camera?
>>
>>101851
Don't many freedivers/spearfisher carry a camera on their masks?
I think a GoPro with underwater armor is alright, you won't go deep enough for pressure to be a problem
>>
>>77148
Mako will be the closest to $300 you’ll get . If you spend more, it should be only for titanium.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.