[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 64 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1436269169613.png (200 KB, 636x704)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>28
Am I too old to skateboard?
>>
>>76966
No. The whole invincible children sentiment is a myth. You can adapt and develop easily up until you're like 40, and even then you don't start deteriorating or anything until around 60. We think 20 is the best age because we were so weak and undeveloped back then that there was nothing we could do (barring injury) that couldn't be recovered from in 24 hours.
>>
>>76966
As long as your body allows it you're not too old for anything, cut it with this defeatist bullshit.
Are you going to go pro? No. Do you still have plenty of time to develop a solid bag of tricks? Hell yeah.
>>
Guarantee that OP is 25 or under and said 28 to be extra sure that he isn't too old.
>>
>>77008
God damn dude. Can a guy not fuck around with wheels and pavement?
>>
>>77053
maybe a little too high brow for /xs/
>>
>>77039
Sure. He can shut himself out of the life he longs for, but you don't have to.
>>
>>77008
I skated at 19 and now I'm in my mid 20s and bang 18 year old girls.
suck my cock kek
>>
>>76966
Skateboarding seems like a boomer thing now anyway, I don't thing it's big with kids like in the 2000s
>>
im 26 and i just wanna learn to skate to flirt with twinks
>>
>>77485
It's not "big" like it was in the 90's and 00's but it still trends very young and has a good sized following. If you look at skating videos on tiktok you'll see that it's 90% kids under 24 years old.
>>
>>77493
>>77485
more of the zoomers i work with skateboard than any of the kids i went to high school with like 10 years ago
>>
>>76966
no YOURE FUCKING NOT BRO go out there buy a board and fucking fall on ur ass until u learn. questioning ur age is against the whole point of skateboarding, its about freedom. 28 aint even that old
>>
>>77497
Don't know if there's any accurate statistics on the number of skaters these days but skating is definitely not as present in culture as it was 10-20 years ago. THPS, jackass, the x-games, etc were all household names. We don't really have media like that now that makes its way into the normie sphere. Skating is a niche hobby again, which maybe is for the best.
>>
I started (back) at 28 and I'm not remotely the youngest beginner at my park. Go skate and maybe do some exercises so your leg muscles don't hate you as much.
>>
>>77503
skating was literally in the olympics faggot what are you talking about
>>
>>77905
and it sucked
>>
>>76966
do it if you find it amusing.
>>
I just started again at 30, last time I skated was when I was 14. Unironically, literally one of the best decisions I've made in the past decade or so, it's just a no-strings attached source of pure joy/fun. Actually regret quitting skateboarding when I was younger, making up for lost time now tho
>>
>>76966
Yes, if you want to do tricks. If you're happy just cruising then no. Cruising is great fun at any age.
>>
File: 1639632127239.png (124 KB, 680x680)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>77053
>hang yourself
>you'll regret it
>>
>>77905
And they're taking boxing and weight lifting out, yet fight sports pull in some of the biggest viewing numbers and have some of the biggest names.
>>77503
This desu, most parks and street corners are empty these days and most people's kids are at home on games, especially due to Corona, yet when I was young you'd see people out in parks from your schools, know local kids in parks and recreation centres, house parties etc man I wish I took advantage of late noughties early 2010s London more.
>>
>>77503
Eh, social media has made it a big thing again in a different way. The "mall skater" types can actually do some tricks now. It's less normie than it was in the 00s, but it's still pretty big.
>>
>>76966
you're never too old to absolutely fuckin wreck and ruin your body for a casual hobby that's on the same level of athleticism as a wii sports game

>>77008
that 20 year old zoomer who thinks that turning 18 is le epic adulthood

>>77481
point in case this zoomer who thinks that banging girls 5 years younger than him is particularly impressive and not common

>>77493
>If you look at skating videos on tiktok you'll see that it's 90% kids under 24 years old.
If you look at anything on ik tok it's of course kids under the age of like 35 years old, it's fuckin tik tok my man
>>
>>78543
you vastly underestimate the amount of olds on tiktok. this is easy because of the nature of the feed optimizing what you watch, but it's a veritable boomer gold rush there.
>>
>>78548
I don't watch tik tok, I only know it from pop culture and when people like post webms here or even on reddit or youtube. I know what it is, you'd have to liver under a rock not to.

But it's the same shit as instagram or vine from when zoomers were still in grade school. Yeah of course there's some 35+ year olds but for the most part it's people under that age range. Especially since it's a new platform it's not like the 20something year olds who first became popular had the time to age 10 years like a lot of vine kids and even earlier youtubers.
>>
>>77503
ive seen more people longboarding over skateboarding nowadays.

on the other hand, skateboards just suck for regular commutes.
>>
This nigger is still skating at his 50s

Be my guess
>>
>3 months
Am I too old to walk?
>>
I'm too old to live my life the way I want
>>
>>76966
hi op, I don't believe it's ever too late to learn! Take a look a this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXfMDDD2TI, it's a really good and simple skating tutorial that I used a bit ago to help me learn when I first started last year
>>
>>76966
Yes I've been skating for 13 years and now I'm 23 my body has deteriorated to the point I can barely do half the stuff I could literally 2 years agp.
>>
>>76966
You're not too old to leap off a cliff headfirst with every other wojacktumor
>>
>>76966

I'm 30 now, and the answer is yes. Your body will not adapt to the muscle gain in your ankles/knees that you'll need in order to progress, and even a fairly minor injury will take you right the fuck out for weeks.

If you're seriously going to start skating this old, you NEED to hit the gym. Squats and whatever fucking bullshit ankle/achilles exercises you can think of will all help immensely.

And don't even think about skating vulcs. Get a decent pair of cupsoles like Etnies Maranas.
>>
>>81168
What the fuck did you do? Fall down the stairs everyday? You should not be that beat up in your early 20s.
>>
File: sk8ordie.jpg (354 KB, 2048x1361)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
You sound old as fuck asking shit like that. Who gives a damn do what you like.
>>
>>76967
As a 34 year old man, I like your take. Not that I want to skateboard, its kinda gay. But I can confirm that older guys do pretty well in bjj, for instance. Old man strength, and they really don't fall behind on stamina either, assuming they trained for a while.
>>
I'd skate but I hate the scene, where I live every skater is some faggot stoner or a literal twelve year old
>>
I'm 26. Started at 24. Just take your time and don't learn anything too far beyond your skill level. I can drop into a bowl and carve and I never thought I'd be able to when I was younger. I'm working on 5050 stalls and lip tricks now. Just start practicing the basics like rolling and stopping. Eventually you will get bored and start trying more complicated things.
>>
If you're willing to break your arms, wrists, ankles and legs and look like an absolute dickhead and take longer to learn anything and also not get good until you're 38 and then just look awkward

Then yeah go for it
>>
>>84992
You don't even skate so why should OP listen to your opinion?
>>
>>84994
I skated when I was 16-18

Even at that age you're disadvantaged and should already know fundamentals and some tricks so you don't look stupid and hurt yourself.

Taken some bad drops on a ramp which still hurt me to this day. God knows how bad it would be if I did that now

You should know how to fall etc, best learned young

Jumped back on a board one day for the lulz again at 28

The extra weight you have on you in adulthood really makes a difference too. I'm 20kg heavier and when I fell over recently you really feel it. It's easy to break arms and twist ankles.

If you have a work from home job and don't mind looking like an idiot for a few years and nursing injuries... Enjoy.. but then you're old anyway and look like an idiot anyway. It's a young man's game unless you're a pro skater and it's your life

It's something kids with the right environment and friendship group get into In order to truly succeed at an early age

The truth hurts
>>
The truth that you are a poof hurts.
>>
>>84996
you are always going to look like an idiot starting something new. just stop being a fragile egotistical faggot and get over it. theres a risk of injury but thats true for any sport thats actually fun.
>>
>>85048
Yes, break your arms and legs because 4chan said "follow your dreams"

Just do cycling or something OP. Sense of flow with barely any of the risk

Also skating looks more fun than it is. Unless you have ideal environment and upbringing to train as a kid then GG
>>
>>85044
Poofs are people asking if they're too old to skate. Self conscious poofs
>>
>>85065
ive been skating for over 4 years and i havent broken anything, sprained my ankles a bunch of times and some other minor shit but nothing really bad. you sound like a whiny bitch who is scared of doing anything even remotely dangerous. sure, people who start as kids and have good training facilities are gonna get better, that goes for every fucking sport or activity in the world. are you just gonna stay inside and whine all day because there are kids who are going to get better than you?
>>
>>85068
I did boxing and competed, mountain bike and am currently training judo

Skateboarding is another level of injury prone activity that is very high risk and very little reward past a certain age

Keep feeding him lies though
>>
>>85090
lol you are just bullshitting now. doing martial arts competitively is far more dangerous and causes far more injuries than skateboarding, especially boxing, doing boxing seriously will very likely lead to severe brain damage, sometimes even death. even top level pro skaters who are doing big rails and stairs are not taking the same level of damage as pro fighters, which most skaters dont even skate the really big stuff. that is not to say that its totally safe to do, but even shit like soccer and basketball has a lot of injuries, unless you wanna do some boring shit like jogging or cycling youre gonna have to take the risk.
>>
>>85095
For boxing knock them out quick and amateur fights arent that dangerous not like you're fighting pros

Skating is about style and showing off tricks as an adult you'll just look like an idiot and hurt yourself, have time off work, get fired .. for what..

Need to start early, ofc manchildren give oblivious manchild advice though
>>
>>85090
Further to last post.. it's also very counter intuitive, based on balance, need to be skinny and small to have advantage .. average adult will wreck wrists and ankles not knowing how to fall.

you need to do hundreds if not thousands of repetitions to master tricks make sure you're in the perfect environment and location to practice this.. wearing protective equipment looking like a moron

Enjoy
>>
>>85102
wow, god forbid you will look like a moron! cant do anything if youre gonna fail at first and look stupid. man you are such a pussy dude.
>>
>>85102
You have proven yourself to be a complete faggot.
>>
>>85107
>>85112
When the whole point of the activity is to look cool and flex with tricks then yeah lmao

Cope more though
>>
Also its kind of pathetic to say "hurr durrr follow yuor dreams" to this clueless OP because he'll end up with serious injuries and nothing to show for it. He'll give up before he even starts. Yeah he can try and prove me wrong but then you've broken several joints to learnt a kickflip at 40 lmao oh well done steeezy bro lmfao

Better to do other hobbies, it's a young man's game. Of course 4chan is notorious for the worst advice so you'll get neckbeards shout "just do it bro!!! Fuck what anyone else thinks!!"

Whilst theyre neet and walk in public with dorito fingers
>>
Won't even bother responding to the bullshit in this thread. Sure you might break a bone, you are a your own man, you can always stop then if you want. Always sad to see guys coming one time to the park, looking at a drop-in, choking, and coming home to complain on 4chan.

OP. Started at 27 about 2 years ago, can do basic flip tricks, a bunch of tranny and small drops. Hurt myself a bunch (hip bruise and such), but I am also the most fit I have ever been overall.

Skateboarding is a creative sport and it does take some balls (I guess from this thread lol) to put pads on and be a beginner. If you treat it like you should be 360 flipping 6 stairs after a year, sure you'll stop after you fall on your ass from trying to shove it.

Just try to work within your limitations, it's great fun to find ways to approach tricks and challenges. As far as what strangers think of me, the fun is just worth more (to me).

Otherwise, I love it and it is great cardio if you actually practice tricks.
>>
>>85170
It doesn't take balls. It takes autism and cluelessness
>>
I took it up at 32. Having a blast, best decision I could make. Made lots of friends, lost weight, overcame depression.

If you want to do it, do it. Just be intelligent about it
>>
>>76966
No but some people will give you shit anyway because they can't do it and that's how they feel ok about it by giving you shit

Skating is easy it's the tricks that's are difficult
>>
>>85152
The point is to have fun you moron. Jfc
>but I can’t have fun if even one person looks at me and thinks I look stupid
Your mindset is extremely unique. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t have a blast putting together some scuffed ollies just because they had to fail a couple times to get there.
>>
I got back into skating in my thirties and am better than ever before. It's easier than walking and when you do go big, it's not much more dangerous than just jumping off 7 stairs without a board. All the ledges and rails at skateparks are slappy-height so you can progress quickly and it's really amazing how cities are spending millions on giving us free skateparks now whereas we used to have to fight for a crusty curb back in the day
>>
>>84059
Kinda gay because you suck at it?

That makes you kinda gay not skateboarding
>>
>>76967
>>84059
yes and no... youth is always a benefit... but 30-35 is technically your "prime." however... that is your prime if you are very active up until that age. you start to get stiff and deteriorate once you stop being active. I skateboarded until I was in my mid 20s, stopped for 5 years, and when I started back, I could feel my age... despite being way better with aging than the average joe. eventually, you can get back in shape, but it's much harder to get to that plateau without injury or just extreme fatigue in general, stuff that wouldn't happen as commonly when you were 20. with that said, doing something late is better than doing nothing because you feel you are "too old." just remember to do things for fun and take it slow. trying to "git gud" fast is only gonna get you hurt, and also blow you out mentally. the whole reason i stopped way back when was because i was at the point and skill level where all i cared about was improving and "keeping up" with my peer's skill level, and I got blown out. now after starting again, it wasd humbling and I actually enjoy the process of "getting back" or learning stuff over again.
>>
>>85095
completely different type of "injury." skaters have way more types of injuries that can happen. you can snap an ankle or an arm easily on any given day, those are freak accidents even in mma. you're a retard.
>>
>>77905
that doesn't mean shit. how popular is curling? or shotput? those are in the olympics. most kids these days stay inside on the internet or video games. skating started to taper off pretty hard around 2013-2017. I worked at a skateshop in a decent sized city and we had to close down because every year less and less kids came, the kids that did grew up and slowly disappeared.
>>
>>82471
the most common injury a new old skater will get is foot or ankle pain. not necessarily anything "messed up," just some tendonitis or other aches, and it's usually from pushing. new old skaters need to do short sessions every day or every other day instead of long sessions just on saturdays. the long sessions fuck you up bad if you aren't used to it. slowly build on those session lengths over time. gotta reach that plateau.
>>
>>76966
Noooooooooooooooo
>>
>>76966
Nooooooooooo
>>
>>76966
Technically you're "never too old for anything". However............. I'll be that honest friend nobody wants to hear because they'd rather be fed Disneyesque happy endings.

How healthy are you compared to when you were 14? What's your cardio vascular system looking like? How much do you weigh? How much free time do you have? How good are you planning on getting?

Realistically you will look autistic to younger skateboarders regardless of what encouraging comments they may give. Adults will look at you like a straight up retard going through a quarter life crisis. You can choose to ignore it but I'm sure we've ALL seen that one old guy slowly "skating" to work. Its not a good look. Skateboarding takes a lot of time and dedication to advance in anything. At best you will look less retarded after 2 years of skating 30 hours a week. That means learning how to Ollie over things like curbs and smaller obstacles. Shuv its, kick/heel flips, and probably varials. However they will look slow and uninspired. Go see for yourself. Go to reddit or YouTube and look up ANY skateboarding progress from people similar in age.

What I would recommend is setting up goals for yourself. Write down what you want to learn, and how much time you want to achieve it by. Again, skateboarding takes YEARS AND YEARS to get decent. If I were you I would start with just riding, and feeling comfortable. That will take about a half of year to a whole year to sort of look normal doing that. Most people would disagree but I wouldn't even worry about tricks until you are totally comfortable riding. Turning and speed will help you progress faster. Watch older footage of street skating from the late 80s and early 90s. Watch Surfing films and emulate the movements on the asphalt. Good luck man.
Skating can be lame, a fad, a use of transportation, a gimmick, or really fun. It becomes "a way of life" when you start looking at thing's differently.

I've been skating for over 15 years.
>>
It's not age I worry about. It's fitness. I'm fat as hell and tall besides and when I fall off my board I feel like I died
>>
File: 1633873795294.jpg (63 KB, 897x897)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>85208
(you)
>>
>>91364
>you will look autistic to younger skateboarders regardless of what encouraging comments they may give.
Honestly not true and what adult should care what kids think of them anyway?

Also, a half a year to look comfortable riding? Maybe 3 months max if you just push around most evenings.
>>
>>87126
yeah because of online shops, not because the hobbies dying, a bunch of people watch youtube channels like Braille and buy from said youtube channel
>>
My advice is if you can't even do basic tricks like ollie or shuv it to always do downhill first

1.you look cool without having to do any tricks
2.you get used to skating on high speeds, this helps later on with tricks
3.Its fun and will give you more adrenaline rush than most tricks

Seriously OP, if you're just starting to skate just push yourself off a hill, even most pro skaters out there are afraid of downhill
>>
I knew an engineer from work who was in his 40s and skateboarded daily. Always wore flannel and skate shoes to work.

>28
I'm 28 and by this age you no longer give a fuck what you can or cannot do. I rode for transport until 25 and would still do if I lived in my old place and had no company bike.
>>
I'm 32 and I still skate multiple times a week. The older you get the less you care about what other people think. The only real downside is that I have to be a little more careful not to wreck myself.
>>
>>76966
you probably trying mountain biking or rollerskating instead. skateboarding really sucks at a beginner level
>>
kicking and tricks are for kids, get an esk8.. u need half a brain to build one without having to look like a fucking retard, u can rip down trails and jump like a mongoloid, and if offroad isnt ur thing then street wheels and running from cops at 60 mph trough narrow streets is also fun.. done both, would recomend.
>>
>>83172
omg sexy furry niggas
>>
>>77490
>Commander Twink has left the chat
>>
>>78364
Y'all hatin' on Eric over here, but peep those shades, though.
>>
>>79002
Yeah, but he has Zuckerberg eyes. That is to say he might be immortal!
>inb4
>>
>>83172
steets
>>
>>82487
I think they mean they are addicted to skating. It is a warning message.
>>
>>77053
>believe a woman, you will regret it
Yes
>don't believe a woman, you will also regret it
lol
>>
Similar boat to OP, but I'm really fucking fat and 27
Should I learn to skate or rollerblade? Both sound pretty fun
>>
>>97259
Skate bro
>>
>>91364
lol this fag typed out all that shit
>>
File: tailslide.jpg (86 KB, 635x649)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>76966
No. Cardio slows down the aging process; skateboarding is the best cardio. Go to the park and take it slow for an hour a day until you get your skills up. Ignore all distractions; focus on yourself and your happiness.
>>
>>76966
I just turned 31 and haven't skated in 15 years but I'm getting back into it myself. Also don't worry about what others might think of you, the people in my skate community are super helpful. Always wear a helmet too.
>>
File: you too.png (93 KB, 575x343)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>76966
Yes. If you're over 18 and trying to start in a sport, it's over. Don't even try it.
>>
>>77503
I know exactly what you mean. I noticed skateboarding peaked around when COVID was in the middle of everything and everyone was just bored and thought, "Oh I guess I'll try skateboarding, always wanted to give that a go." Only for people to realize it's actually way more of a patient and time consuming thing to even learn a basic Ollie. So a lot of people just gave up on it. Skateboarding has always been this small thing, and with things like social media and Zoomers just following how every other "influencer" does there content, skateboarding is gotten to this level of some what"cringe" depending on who you talk to
>>
I started when I was 22 and don't regret it one bit. I'm 24 now and so far I've sprained my ankle, twisted my wrist, dislocated my knee, and I don't regret it one bit. You may have responsibilities but like any sport, you get hurt the more you do it. Remember your not trying to go pro or get sponsored, your just having fun. Even learning the basics down can be very fun
>>
>>99090
What about skydiving?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.