[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: front by anon.webm (1.41 MB, 1280x720)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB WEBM
Parkour thread.

Where are you at with your training? How have you been working around the limits of weather and lockdowns? How much do you apply the utilitarian Hébertist mindset of being strong to be useful to your training routines?

Freerunners can post, too. Maybe even gymnasts and trickers if you don't get your own thread up and running.

original thread >>1236
>>
>>76604
I am just starting. Going very slow. Would like to learn some basic moves on grass before moving to concrete but it's cold and ground is muddy so I won't do much till spring. For any other beginners I will link a site I use that shows some basic parkour moves and gives a conditioning workout.
https://www.survivalfitnessplan.com/parkour-tutorial-beginners/#Parkour_Exercises_for_Conditioning
https://www.survivalfitnessplan.com/daily-conditioning-workout/
I plan to do this daily workout in the morning. I also recommend full body stretching every day before bed for flexibility and better sleep. Experienced anons can comment if the given conditioning workout is solid or not.
>>
is there any point in trying to do parkour past the age of 21. It's definitely not worth fucking up your joints by taking huge falls regularly
>>
>>76689
So don't take huge falls. Despite the popular image of pk on YouTube and Instagram you don't have to do fucking huge high consequence gaps or anything. Recommend looking up someone like Minh on YouTube. Beautiful mover yet most of the stuff he does isn't huge falls or pk hype shit.
>>
File: ground.webm (2.93 MB, 720x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>76689
i'd assume even flipping regularly on ground level will wear down the body but far less than taking huge height drops.
but yeah like the person above me said high consequence gaps/drops aren't required to do parkour. ground level parkour has always been what majority of practitioners do.
>>
>>76689
The young people doing parkour aren't fucking up their joints either. Do conditioning and know your limits. You don't have to be like people who are not like 99.9% of the world's population in order to do Parkour and get the fun and benefits it brings. The only person you need to be better than is the person you started as.
>>
>>76696
I don't see why doing stuff like this would wear you down harder than playing basketball or whatever (unless you fall, of course)
>>
>>77411
you are prob right. im just basing this on my experience with flips. i had really terrible form tho so i felt it in my lower back after a couple of years. haven't practiced in over 8 years now but still have problems with my back sometimes.

i think with proper form it should be OK.
>>
>>76604
Parkour being considered an extreme sport by the retards that do it makes this thread LOL
>>
>>76604
Tragic you have next to no support in your "parkour endeavors " 'LMFAO LOSER
>>
>>76604
>>
File: 71869171.jpg (38 KB, 400x273)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>76604
JUST PLAY BETTER

I KNOW YOU CAN BUT AT LEAST TRY EVERY SNAP

Most worthless team in the AFC West Bar NONE. Chiefs have the AFC easy AF if they Keep playing the way that they are currently. Maintaining the pressure against those Making sure to tackle your playmaker in the End and 3rd
>>
>>76604
>>
>>77581
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BA A D BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAAAAAAD BAD BAAAD BAD BAD BAAAAAAAD BAD BAD
>>
>>76604
You really have your definitions and history mixed up. Parkour, true parkour, doesn't have all that flashy gymnast bullshit. The original purpose of parkour was essentially emergency running, its inception was inspired by rescue efforts the creator participated in.

Pretty much everything in this thread is just tons of unnecessary movements.
>>
>>77648
What are you on about? The OP expressly mentions "the utilitarian Hébertist mindset," Georges Hébert being the grandfather of parkour inspired by those rescue efforts during the 1902 eruption of Mount Pelée which you referenced. In pushing the limits of this practical movement the line between strict A-to-B parkour and gymnastic-floor-routine-tier freerunning can sometimes be blurred, which is why traceurs and freerunners often train together and share the same online discussion spaces.
>>
>>77651
>Makes parkour thread
>Post shit that stylistically is not parkour
>>
File: bag head wall climb.png (663 KB, 825x1100)
663 KB
663 KB PNG
>>77652
The OP video is the only parkour content I've posted so far ITT. I chose it because it's an Anon from the last thread making a quick descent with only minor flair--arguably, practicing the front flip in that context is practical because it simulates tripping, tumbling, and recovering during the initial vault. It was the only OC training video in the last thread but you're free to post your own .webm OC showcasing your own ultra-efficient A-to-B parkour.

If I had video editing tools I knew how to use I'd post some but here's a censored still shot instead. I like to use this spot to practice wall climbs and descents. The wall is a good height, the concrete is very grippy, and there's typically not a lot of foot traffic during my preferred training hours. I need to figure out a good tripod setup for filming myself for analytical reasons, had someone record me on their phone for this footage so I could see what I was doing wrong in terms of timing and mechanics and I made some adjustments the next session based on that information.
>>
>>77648
Op said freerunning was welcomed too tho so i thot id post a vid of a current freerunner.
Anyways here a vid of the purest of parkour.

https://youtu.be/N4GkLC6HPb8
>>
>>77668
Le parcours.
That faceplant just after the 1:30 mark is pretty impressive.
>>
>>77743
ya it looks like that hurt

here another vid. not as pure as french legion training but this guy was in yamakasi and shows civilian style of parkour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASu88gc31wc
>>
>>77411
I'd say the range of motions of parkour makes you come from stranger angles, stressing your joints in different ways, and spinning adds velocity compared to basketball.
>>
https://youtu.be/XhsexDlp3Bs

The "catpass corkscrew" at 2 min 20 second mark. Is he technically just doing a corkscrew but places hand on the wall prior. I cant imagine actually launching into the corkscrew from a kong. I confused
>>
It's been 8 months since I started working out and I still have shin splints. I discovered I am vitamin d deficient and started taking supplements so hopefully that will mend them. Would like to master my kong vaults and learn dash vaults and start relearning my front flip
>>
File: 1641664349761.jpg (209 KB, 1080x1080)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>*blocks your path*
how do you get around her?
>>
>>80363
Dive under the leg that's up and above the leg that's laying flat, somersault out and then flex on the wagies who come to kick me out of their store.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (10 KB, 300x168)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>80363
get a running start and jump and stop onto her knees like in the pic
>>
>>80363
running pre off her head and over them books
>>
>>80363
Say 'exscuse me mam' and walk by like a normal human being.
>>
>>80363
Just kick her legs out of the way. The bitch barely weighs 100 pounds.
>>
>>80577
That freerunning not parkour
>>
>>80363
A-to-B time-efficient path is to hurdle over her.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv4lg1TfKIA
new freerunning vid. i watched last night. kinda sad that phil doyle didnt do much in this vid :(. he sometime post clips on instagram showing he still got it but i guess he dont wanna go too hard now
>>
Jesus Christ, who cares if one guy things it's fun to do a cartwheel and another doesn't?
>>
>>81728
yeah parkour purists are so fucking annoying. i used to have that mentality around a decade ago back when the "high-level" freerunners sorta just did half-assed parkour and was more borderline tricking or whatever. that said freerunning has come a long way and most of the top free runners currently are also great at parkour too. i think freerunning still has another generation to go before its solved. parkour was almost solved back in 2009 w/ Phil Doyle. all that is left is for Olympic tier track & field athletes in long-jump, triple-jump, and high-jump to participate lel.
>>
>>81728
Nobody, so long as cartwheel guy doesn't claim his superfluous cartwheels are parkour. A-to-B parkour is worth developing as a utilitarian skillset; freerunning is worth developing as an athletic art form. They're distinct philosophies of movement built on similar foundations.
>>
>>83092
Utilitarian, for what? It's just about having some athletic fun with architecture. What kind of practical use has parkour been to anyone?
>>
>>76604
>Where are you at with your training?
Constantly improving and training 2-3 times a week but I would love to be able to flip and do shit just to impress my little brother. There is no place I can got to and am too much of a pussy to learn backflips and stuff. Any advice?
>>
>>83447
I learned how to do a backflip improperly within about a half hour. I had two friends spot me on grass (they had experience spotting backflips). Idk if you have access to this tho
>>
>>83867
>friends
>oldfag that does parkour
Choose one
But thanks, maybe I can pay someone...
>>
>>84187
I'm sure there are some hookers in an alley somewhere who'd love to be paid to watch you fall on your ass.
>>
do u guys watch parkour/freerunning competitions? do you guys think it reflects who the best people are or not?
>>
>>79808

i believe that might be called a reverse double kong. that one blew my mind when i first watched that too
>>
>>84759

chase tag is amazing to watch. theres also a really good channel on youtube for parkour competitions in america that feature some of the best athletes and worth watching
>>
I'm at the level where I slowly climb up on a dumpster, loudly and proudly shout "parkour", jump down, do a 360 swirl, jogg up to a wall, put one foot on it and push back a bit so I gain 1 feet of air, agai shouting "parkour". If I'm on grass I might do a tuck and roll. All while making my own sound effects. I also wear a skin tight sleeveless t-shirt, and very snugg and fast looking sunglasses.
I get mad pussy for this.
>>
>>85567
nice anon. keep it up
>>
>>85567
>I'm at the level where I slowly climb up on a dumpster, loudly and proudly shout "parkour", jump down, do a 360 swirl, jogg up to a wall, put one foot on it and push back a bit so I gain 1 feet of air, agai shouting "parkour". If I'm on grass I might do a tuck and roll.
Minus the shouting, that's not too far off from how I started. I was doing a lot of dumpster diving at the time.
>>
>>83447
See if you can find a gymnastics or cheerleading coach in the area who will work with you in private sessions.
>>
>>76604
Ok
>>
>>77648
Shut up, nerd
>>
>>77652
>tiny board
>Um, no we have to further subdivide ourselves to make me feel okay
>>
>>85541
>theres also a really good channel on youtube for parkour competitions
link?
>>
>>77553
I’ve been doing parkour for 10 years now and after helping coach kids over the summers on occasion I can tell you that 90% of parkour injuries stem from improper form or learning a new thing, which is pretty much also improper form. People landing short on their front tuck over and over fucks their knees up more than high drops to a good roll. Mats also psyche kids into thinking they can do back fulls into a superhero landing on hard ground outside. Even adults are hurling themselves over huge gaps not knowing how to properly bail. Learning to fall/bail mid air is KEY when you first start because you’ll be doing a lot of it.
>>
Did some people through out history even in ancient times use parkour? Apart from basic vaults, jumping and climbing, can you see our ancestors doing rolls and flips? We know about the assasins and ninjas but would average people be able to discover these things on their own as they explore what their body can do? What if we all suck today but back in Hyperborea people achieved mastery over their bodies and could move fast, jump high and fly by utilising vril like in dragon ball.
>>
>>91676
No people were too stupid back then to test the limits of their bodies.
>>
anyone in WI doing parkour? just starting, i feel like a tard doing it by myself
>>
>>91676
Rolls and flips? Yeah probably. There is footage of people doing circus acts in 1890s and they were doing flips in them.

I also seen an old black and white vid of a group of young lean men doing a tumbling session outside altho i cant find that vid anymore sadly. Ofc it is not as technical as what some people do today with doubles and twists. Heck some people rn can do a running double side flip and/or standing double backflip. I doubt ancient people did that kinda stuff desu.

If anything the really ancient people were prob better at tree parkour.
>>
File: Bull-Leaping.jpg (100 KB, 1200x630)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>93148
We were flipping over bulls at least since 1400 BCE. Depending on the environment and our need we naturally developed moves to help us get over obstacles and move quicker. There probably used to be guys who were as good or even better then the pros of today.
>>
>>91676
Front somersaults are actually useful for covering more distance with a jump, they actually banned front flips in the track and field long jump. I don't know if anyone in the past would have figured this out though but it's not infeasible.
Rolls are incredibly useful for preventing injury while landing since you're transferring your momentum smoothly rather than trying to break it all at once. Rolls are used to break falls in martial arts like judo so they were almost certainly used.
I doubt anyone was ripping double corks in the BC era but they probably did more basic stuff like aerials and handsprings for fun. I'm pretty confident that tricking is better now than it would have been at any point in the past since there probably wouldn't have been a lot of sprung floors or padded surfaces to experiment on and sustaining an injury would have been a lot more devastating than it is without modern medicine
>>
>>93172
incredible pic. maybe there were some insane dudes back then.
>>
Kie Willis' imax sideflip pre in 2012/2013 has been leveled up! wow
https://youtu.be/1BUMRgJtafY?t=418
>>
>>77668
That just looks like DRUNK parkour.
Apart from them being either very tired at this point or wearing really heavy equipment or simply being very clumsy, they show very poor technique. They do not even use safety rolls. One of them lands 2 meter jump on almost straight legs.
Terror.
>>
https://youtu.be/2Q7SQ39Omhc?t=647

Wow this siebepk guy is insane. kinda like a more powerful verky lol (apparently they are cousins too unless they were joking). dom tomato and that jadyn clark guy couldn't stick this sideflip pre. heck jadyn clark got his pelvic bone fucked up after his final attempt. i think only 1 other dude stuck it before siebepk but can't remember his Instagram name.
>>
>>80363
Run into her full speed, trip over her legs and violently fling myself forward into the bookshelf.
>>
>>76689
My buddy is 30 and just won a local parkour competition. Take care of your body and you can keep doing the sport for a while
>>
>>80363
Get far enough away for a running start... then lose my nerve and go home without looking anyone there in the eye
>>
Today I practiced my speed vaults on wooden rails almost chest high which happened to be freshly painted (but not sticky fresh) so it was a little less grippy than the old paint.
After a few good ones on each side of my body I said "one more and go practice balance".
After about six or seven steps runup I jumped and thought "Wow that my highest ever" but when I pushed with my left (probably a little sweaty) hand to go back to vertical position it slipped and I stayed in horizontal like a big log of wood thinking to myself "that's new, why am I still horizontal position".
Landing was a lot lower than runup so adding the height I was above the railing that must have been about two meters drop (or rather flop) on gravel park alley.
I landed horizontally on my palm, forearm (close to my elbow) and got pretty deep scratches and a little swelling and on my hip that also swelled and hurt a little. I do not even remember touching the ground with my foot so I thing that palm, forearm and hip must have been the only points of contact when I landed.
Luckily nothing broke and I managed to go back home on my bike.
Tried searching youtube for similar fails when hand slipped during speed vaults but nothing. I wonder if there even is a good bail from this situation.
>>
>>100093
Guess that balance practice is all I will be doing for the next week or so after all.
>>
>>100093
>I wonder if there even is a good bail from this situation.
If I'm reading your description right you reflexively did the best bail available from the point you fucked up, kind of like a sideways breakfall in judo. If you have the skills of an artist you should draw it out.
>>
File: Jump.png (57 KB, 1680x1050)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
It looked like this. I think my palm and forearm hit first and then hip and only then my legs and feet. Luckily I didn't hit with my head but I think the bail would be better and safer if I hit with my palm, forearm and simultaneously with the edge of the side of my foot (or both feet).
>>
File: Spot.png (54 KB, 1680x1050)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>
File: Landing.png (25 KB, 1680x1050)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>
>>100122
>sideways breakfall in judo.
I think I was too much on my side and not enough on my back when I landed. Also my forearm was below my head not slightly in front of me for this to be effective judo breakfall.
>>
Man, this thread is dead.
Anyway, I found Dom Tomato purposely bailing from 2 speed vaults:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmJhxR55wvM at 5:13
That how it is safely done, but on the other hand, the fact that he was ready for bail might helped him react on time.
The first bail is beautiful: he landed feet first and rolled sideways. That's exactly how I instinctively managed to safely bail from "clipped feet" kongs every time.
>>
Man, I am glad I discovered /xs/. I didn't know this board exist and if I did I just glanced over it thinking it wasn't about stuff like this. /fit/ never liked it, when I talked about parkour.
>>
>>100783
Old /asp/ was better, before the mandrama stuntman invasion.
>>100474
Hopefully it'll pick up at some point. The original /asp/ parkour thread has some solid engagement.
>>
verky won the redbull 2022 competition thing. where tf do i watch this?
>>
>>101210
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvnTfQNwYs at 7:42 Verky was judging at the kings of concrete competition. Where tf to watch that?
>>
>>101302
no idea anon. idk why they are hard to find.
>>
how come Ed scott only got 2nd? i thought he looked the best. his live-run (linked below) looks pretty pleasant and seamless. he did get the most points out of all the contestants for it. he was also the only one to do his video run all in 1 take (the others had their movements split up in diff segments like a showreel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9goFSJhEI
>>
>>80363
In a helmet
>>
>>93172
I reckon JC could do a flip or 2 himself
>>
What do you guys reckon is the max running pre stick possible?
>>
I'm trying to learn rolls as a beginner but I can't seem to not fuck my shoulder up every time I try. Whenever my form is not 100% perfect I can feel a "squish" in the soft spot in the back of my shoulder that will give me extreme tendon pain that lasts for days. It's so bad I'm afraid to even practice again in case I might fuck up my shoulder permanently.

I can't find anything online about this so maybe you guys can help me out.
>>
>>103124
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5wmd4qXV0
Pretty comprehensive tutorial, or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BCfV6LrP3c
I am also a beginner and I know my rolls are not what they should be but I noticed that do them pretty well after bigger drop if I am not thinking about it, but when I practice only rolls on the ground and focusing on them I fuck up my body position most of the time.
>>
>>103124
>>103169
Good judo schools drill a lot of breakfalls, including the forward-rolling breakfall. If you don't have a parkour/gymnastics place nearby but you do have a judo place (or it's cheaper) it could be worthwhile to drop by for some instruction on ukemi.
>>
>>83099
I've used it to outrun missed buses, avoid crowds, cut substantial time off of pedestrian commutes to school/work, escape awkward situations, et cetera.

As a specific example in line with Hébert's vision of helping people: I used to volunteer as a firefighter/EMT. We went into a place with our bags to check on someone who was having a rough time with some chest pains and quickly realized it was bad enough that we needed to bring in the stretcher and transport. I stepped outside and a crowd of about 15 people (many old and/or fat) had congregated to gossip and block the narrow access ramp, so instead of shouting at everybody and clearing the slow fat crowd twice (once on the way down and again back) I just vaulted over the rail onto the grass ~10ft below, got the stretcher from the ambulance, pushed it at speed while telling people to move on my way over, and ended up getting the patient on the stretcher a good 30-60 seconds faster than I would have without parkour (seconds count with heart fuckery).
>>
>>76654
It's been a few months. How's it going?
>>
>>76696
A front flip on flat is much harder on the joints than even a 13 ft drop with speed. The amount of force you have to generate and then stop abruptly is absurd. That's why it's recommended to do flips and run through them as well as to get a higher vertical so you can do them slower.
>>
if I can't yet do a handstand, do I need to get that strength first?
>>
>>112054
No. There are lots of skills you can work on without being able to do a handstand so you can work on those while also learning your handstand.
>>
>>112054
>https://antranik.org/comprehensive-handstand-tutorial/
handstand is more about form than strength.
you could work on frogstands &to and get used to the feel of hand balancing though
>>
>>112082
He's a DYEl.
>>
>>112109
most 2pl8fags have pretty shit balance and mobility tbqh.
also if anything the fact that a fat redditor like antranik can do handstands should prove that you don't need to be strong to do them.
he also organized ido portal's schizoposts into something actually readable which is pretty based
>https://antranik.org/the-floreio-project/
>>
>>112082
Thanks for the link, gonna work on it. am actually dyel
>>
>>102675
Have you ever seen someone train parkour in a helmet? How common are head injuries?
>>
>>112164
How's the one-month progress?
>>
File: MirrorsEdge.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>76604
Are messenger bags actually the most practical bags for parkour? If not, what is and how did messenger bags become the meme?
>>
>>114443
>not wearing helmets around women
>>
>>80363
*wall runs on the bookshelf above her head*
Heh, nothing personal kiddo
>>
>>76696
This just looks like gymnastics on the street.
>>
>>121683
Modern parkour incorporates a lot of tricking which is just gymnastics without the rules.
>>
How big is this gap? also do you guys think it is stickable? maybe a long jumper that learns side pres cant stick this?
>>
>>123762
made typo i meant
can stick this*
>>
Hello new here I just started because of this guy
https://www.youtube.com/@stealthtechnique4399

how long and tough would it be to get this to level
>>
>>125934
idk how long it generally takes.

i think the toughest calisthenic thing he's done is here @ 2:11 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_QZHaPBrIo

lache to bar followed by a muscle-up w/ a bit of kip.
I see he also has a parkour video from like a decade ago here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKP5YJdGJS4

looks very clean and controlled to me. reminds me an ex-parkour guy called "Teghead" on youtube. I think his climb-ups will be the most difficult to emulate since they are more boring to train than jumps and vaults. there are parkour dudes with worse climb-ups that have been training for several years now. but they focus more on jumps, vaults, and tricks.
>>
>>
Motus is dead
>>
>>129603
what does that even mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJGWvXrINw&ab_channel=TheMotusProjects
>>
>>129777
they died man. giles, kelan, and blogger moving to storror.

ethan rud is soo good btw. that gainer gap is so sick
>>
>>76689
>is there any point in trying to do parkour
Do you really NEED to do parkour?
If so age doesnt matter.
If youre body is far from fit then find another hobby or get fit. Otherwise you will just fall flat on the ground
>>
>>119505
>how did it become the meme
Some shitter at EA took the name literally
Ideally you don't have a bag with you because it will fuck up your back when you roll or it might get caught on something.
That said, the meme Fastbreak Aerial is actually quite nice, as it straps really tight to your back without impeding your movement much.
>>
>>76604
Totally new to parkour. I’ve started chaining some of the basics together. I can comfortably safety vault, safety roll, precision, etc.

My question is, how do I know when it’s time for the next vault or whatever move? There’s not exactly a clear progression on any of the wikis and YouTubers just sort of show a bunch of random moves together.

>inb4 whatever get you around the obstacle

Okay, great. But how do I know which moves are the best at getting me around what obstacle? I know I can practice, but what I’m looking for is a chart that says something like “obstacle at hip height, only one hand available, use pussy-vault”

Also, I live in an area that’s really open. Like, there really are not a lot of obstacles to jump over or climb on to. At least, not a lot of stuff that you can do without getting in trouble. Honestly, this skill is fun and I’ll keep doing it, but there are so many situations where it feels like it would just be easier to run AROUND something.

Ideally, I’d like to run through the woods like a fucking mad man. How do you fuckers climb and descend steep hills when there are a bunch of trees you’d slap into if you rolled?
>>
>>131341
>Okay, great. But how do I know which moves are the best at getting me around what obstacle? I know I can practice, but what I’m looking for is a chart that says something like “obstacle at hip height, only one hand available, use pussy-vault”
You're over-thinking it and I definitely relate. Such a chart is unlikely to be especially helpful because it will change based on your skill level, your body proportions, and a number of environmental factors. You may even find that the optimal move for clearing a particular obstacle changes throughout a session based on which muscles are most tired and what variance there was in your lead-up each lap of the course.
>Also, I live in an area that’s really open [...] there are so many situations where it feels like it would just be easier to run AROUND something.
It's almost always easier to go around the obstacle, which is why normal people just waddle around everywhere instead of climbing or jumping. But, for an in-shape and in-practice traceur, it will often be faster to make the higher-effort move.
>not a lot of stuff that you can do without getting in trouble
Out of curiosity, which part of the world are you in? I've lived across the contiguous United States in cities and innawoods. There's usually somewhere you can make work, though it might involve a modicum of social skill to secure. Good places to look are playgrounds, parks, forests, skate parks, gymnastic gyms, friends with room to build obstacles in their yards, and friends who can assure you that nobody will care if you train on the loading dock so long as you don't break anything or sue them for you hurting yourself.
>How do you fuckers climb and descend steep hills when there are a bunch of trees you’d slap into if you rolled?
Practice rolling down the hill if you're worried about it, just don't start from the top. Usually you can figure out a way to brace yourself on a tree or grab hold of one if you trip and fall.
>>
>>131341
>My question is, how do I know when it’s time for the next vault or whatever move? There’s not exactly a clear progression
This isn't quite what you asked for but it may help. It's a parkour textbook which describes the use-case for the moves it teaches. I shared it in the last thread and I think it's a good resource in general and it may also help you figure out your question in particular.
https://files.catbox.moe/89w0hf.pdf
>>
>>130903
>Fastbreak Aerial
Do they still make the L or just the M? Any other meme packs worth checking out? I usually run around with a normal backpack or a messenger bag cinched tight to either my chest or back depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing.
>>
https://youtu.be/WbRY2WatzV4
Roof Culture on yt
>>
>>132267

Very helpful.

>>132266
>chart wouldn’t really be helpful because it’s too situational.

Okay, that makes sense. It’s how I am. I like to analyze and systematize things

>normies just waddle

’Easier’ was probably the wrong word to use here. What I meant was ‘efficient’, but since you said an in-shape traceur could make it more efficient, I guess I just have to practice.

The whole thing with parkour, I thought, was about finding the fastest way from point A to point B using your body. It’s just a little disheartening to watch people waddle around a bench and be faster than you at first.

>Where do you live?

bum-fuck nowhere southeastern US. I made this thread a while ago and I did find some places that are useful. There is a gymnastics gym one of my friends works at, though it’s about a 40 minute drive.

The option I can frequent more often is the woods outside my house. Still, it’s a very open place.

>practice rolling down the hill

I figured it’d come back to this. Though, it does feel weird that there isn’t a specific technique for slanted ground.

I learned that when it’s wet enough in the fall and winter I can slide down like skateboarding on nothing, but I doubt that’d work anywhere or any other time.
>>
so is dom tomato pretty much done being one of the gnarliest stuntsman of parkour? he is already in his 30s so not likely he'll ever go back to his peak right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulx227SxeKI
>>
also what is the name of the two tricks done at 26:08 in this video? I never seen this before

https://youtu.be/Tswad8jCgaM?t=1566
>>
let's say I'm a larper and want to learn parkour so I can totally run from trouble and disappear like a ninja, where do I start?

I figure being a fast runner is half of it to begin with, but what might be the top five skills to learn to cover the majority of commonly encountered obstacles/situations?
>>
>>134454
>I'm a larper and want to learn parkour so I can totally run from trouble and disappear like a ninja, where do I start?
The guy who wrote this textbook >>132267 started with the exact same motivation as you.
>top five skills to learn to cover the majority of commonly encountered obstacles/situations
breakfalls and descents, vaults, climbs, precision jumps, quadrupedal movement
>>
>>134458
Just downloaded that, it looks pretty cool. Thanks.
>breakfalls and descents, vaults, climbs, precision jumps, quadrupedal movement
thanks, I'll start with these
>>
>>133204
I imagine he's probably going to stay relevant for a while after he heals up. In terms of big stunts he's likely either near, at, or past his peak but in terms of fluidity of movement he's got decades left to refine his craft.
>>
>>132522
>it does feel weird that there isn’t a specific technique for slanted ground.
The specific technique will be determined by the specific slant and the specific ground. Your slant is somewhere between perfectly level ground and a perfectly vertical wall. Your ground could be anything from solid concrete to liquid mud with obstacles and hazards ranging from none to a hillside of dense trees and rocks terminating at a busy street. The specific technique you're asking for is actually a series of overlapping and interrelated techniques that will be applied differently based on not just the slant or the ground but also your abilities and comfort level.
tl;dr: practice general techniques and you'll find the specific technique for that specific slant and specific ground on a specific day with specific conditions
>>
File: 1676194896907618.jpg (101 KB, 673x838)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
How do you get over this obstacle? Only way I see it is using stairs fence to hold on and moving up by puting your legs in the circles or if you have the strength and balance to maybe catwalk up the fence.
>>
>>76696
So beautiful.
>>
File: bathroom_parkour.webm (750 KB, 720x1280)
750 KB
750 KB WEBM
>>
>>135672
scream, "GET OUT OF MY WAY, I'M SHITTING MY PANTS," before bounding up the stairs at the expense of the redditor's repeatedly rudely-placed collection
>>
File: image0 (14).jpg (732 KB, 2016x1512)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
>>76604
Do people have go too gloves for freerunning and parkour? I dont do it mutch, but I dabbled for a bit and used my light ironclad workgloves just incase there is some jagged stuff I didnt see
>>119505
No they flap around and effect your balance too much. If you were to carry something, it should probably be close to the body
>Become the meme
I think you made it the meme, I dont think its generally associated. Maybe bercause you and some other people associate a messanger bag with, well, messangers, who are traditionally seen as modile (ie paperboy running and throwing papers, motocycolist ww1 style rapid delivery)
>>
File: 20847.png (590 KB, 530x918)
590 KB
590 KB PNG
>>139243
I use these
i noticed my palms would get fucked up when trying to climb stuff so i started using them
>>
>>76696
I dunno man. This all looks like high consequence to me. Hope they are wearing a mouthguard.
>>
>>84187
I did my first backflip when I was 42 off of an ~18" high step in the grass. landed one my feet but fell onto my knees.

kept drifting left (or right, I forget...). After 4 or 5 of them, I tweaked my ankle a bit (not bad, but no more flips) and left. Did a few more over the next few weeks and managed to straight it out, but then never did any more.
>>
>>83099
>>
>>80363
stand directly over her with my stinky nuts in her face while looking at the books behind her
>>
>>139243
I've been using leather Mechanix Original gloves, but the seams on the fingers really aren't ideal for the abrasion from climbing rough concrete. I'll try to get a picture for your later, but essentially the issue is that the seam is exposed to wear and therefore the stitching fails long before the leather would.
>>
up
>>
>>76604
I really want to get into tricking and stuff.
I hit gym, but the best I can do is a cart wheel.
How the fuck do I start training?
I've been doing a stretching routine for the past week to gain some flexibility in preparation for learning stuff.
I want to do a no hands cartwheel and a back flip, but where the fuck do I start? Just roll up to the park in shorts and trainers and start jumping around like a retard?
Any advice appreciated
>>
>>149079
How've the last two weeks of training been going?
>where the fuck do I start? Just roll up to the park in shorts and trainers and start jumping around like a retard?
If going to a parkour or gymnastics gym for coaching isn't an option, then yes. You'll get it figured out.
>>
>>76604
Are there any active parkour forums left these days or has everything migrated to Reddit and Facebook (or TikTok or whatever else)?
>>
>>150892
Yeah haha I did exactly that, rolling out to the park.

I've got a more solid cartwheel now because after filming myself doing one I was basically just throwing myself over my arms.

Been working on handstands and kicks, I can kick to chest height now.

What I want to do next is one handed cartwheel and backflip, but I will probably have to book lessons with a coach at the local gym to get that safely. Still have a long way to go until I get actual tricking moves instead of just gymnastic moves but I'm getting there.
>>
>>153256
>filming myself
This is a really good training tool.
>>
Do parkour comps test for peds?
>>
>>101302
https://youtu.be/GVJio0WgcdY

lol here it is anon. a year later. can see verky at the judging table @ like the 13:20 mark wearing the same clothes as he did at the end of that vlog so has to be the same event
>>
>>134460
How's that book working out for you?
>>
>>139685
>i noticed my palms would get fucked up when trying to climb stuff
good way to build callouses and toughen up your hands
>>
im tryna learn...am currently on safety rolls
>>
>>76604
Where do I go to actually reasonably have a course for this stuff? Playgrounds freak out the moms. Parking lots make me look like a crook.
>>
>>160345
Based. That's arguably the most important skill.

>>160352
Really depends on where you live, what kind of movement you're trying to train, and what your tolerance is for weird looks from moms.
>>
>>160352
registered sex offenders b like
>>
File: basketchad.gif (209 KB, 500x500)
209 KB
209 KB GIF
parkour circumvalation ...Is there anyone who has done this\tried this? I think I just invented the concept; travelling the world, or a country, or a big distance (300KM or more) but abiding to certain rules\regulations such as: Only moving in handstand pose, or doing long jumps, or rolling or doing backflips. Every time you come across a monkey gym in a public park, spend 30 minutes doing calisthenics.
How can we create a formal challenge\set of rules for this? I think it could be a pretty fun challenge
>>
>>161030
I haven't paid attention to "the scene" in years but traceurs used to tour locations with famous obstacles (e.g. a particular gap or set of stairs known for its difficulty or for being iconic in parkour) and clear them. What you're describing sounds more like those exercise circuits they put in public parks but bigger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcourse
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq0mWxeTIAs

a song for the older traceurs here
>>
https://youtu.be/-QQVB5Mv4tw?feature=shared

Damn this guy has to be the best freerunner rn. The trick at around 2 min mark was insane imo. Also noticed that Ed scott didn't place this year for style at spl omg
>>
File: parkour stance.jpg (219 KB, 999x1500)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>76604
Besides the traditional gym pants, harem pants, and shorts, do you guys have any pants that you like for parkour? I'd like to figure out something that looks normal enough but fits comfortably and facilitates good movement. Best solution I've thought of so far is getting something a couple of waist sizes too large and having a tailor bring it in for baggy legs and a tight waist. Looking at the Duluth Foreman Pants right now but I'm not 100% sold on them.
>>
what the trick at 9 minute mark called?

https://youtu.be/UMC4Csd1XDw?t=540
>>
>>160352
Many cities have groups that train semi-regularly, but it's often very disorganized. The best way is often to find one of those lame indoor courses and look for people who train outside there
>>
>>160345
How's your progress?
>>
>>139739
Once you learn to fall properly you can substantially mitigate the risk of severe consequences at those heights.
>>
File: ampisound_santa.jpg (88 KB, 640x800)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Merry Christmas /xs/
>>
There was ice on a bar I tried to do muscle-up on

>>180856
Happy Christmas anon
>>
Parkour is based. Cant recommend it enough. Surpised so few people do it. I want to build some outdoor spots. I will probably just modify natural spots that already exist and stuff
>>
>On line parkour class
>all pages for reading are blank
Well at least the videos work
>>
Thinking about starting parkour.
27y old.
Not entirely new to stuff but I haven't practiced anything for a long time
When I was young 12-14 I was climbing everywhere, doing wall runs, and running inna woods.
After a bit of skateboarding, building house on improper scafolding and a bit of forestry I feel like doing more self destructive stuff
Biggest problem is winter
>>
>>133205
touch down a twist or touch down b twist which ever
and the second is the same but doubled
some even call it a speed twist but I think thats wrong
>>
>>182922
Do it to challenge yourself and overcome fear. Don't do it be self-destructive - that's weird. But do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTc_b-W1IZM
>>
>>161030
Have you heard about straight line marathon challenges?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIardpnDlo
>>
Here's a new A-to-B video from Canada for the purity spiralers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sul_o_S5ND8
>>
>>183999
Beautiful digits, beautiful video. Best parkour video I've seen in a long time.
>>
How do guys deal with doing this in public, I am to worried about being looked at in public to do this.
It would probably be easier to do it if you're in a group.
>>
>>185039
If you wear athletic clothes and train by a sports field or something, it’s pretty unassuming. I don’t like attention either so I usually do stretches while people pass by. Sometimes they say “parkour!” but it’s all good.
>>
File: wallclimb.jpg (81 KB, 588x459)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Pic of me and friends doing parkour
>>
>>185139
>stretches while people pass by
You have given me better advice than anything on youtube
I will finally start
>>
>>185782
I like exploring spots on a skateboard for this reason. It's more inconspicuous to be hanging out at the spray park if I'm kicking a skateboard around
>>
>>185779
Être fort pour être idiot utile.
>>
File: 1709341060553672.webm (3.69 MB, 372x360)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB WEBM
>>76604
>>
How far do I have to dive for it to be a "dive kong"?
>>
How can something as physically impressive that requires as much balls as parkour does still be kinda lame? Is it the type of people it attracts?
>>
>>193675
It's non-competitive, non-combative, and generally not a very good spectator sport unless the traceur is or has a talented filmographer.
>>
>>193675
The coolness of World Chase Tag is hamstrung by the fact that British accents suck for hyping sporting events.
>>
>>193675
Why are they lame from the videos I saw on YouTube they seem like really cool guys. Just cool guys having fun, wish I had friends like that growing up desu
>>
>>185039
Wear a balaclava or face mask
>>
>>193675
Because it's the art of running away. If you can't fight, there's no use in knowing how to chase anyone
>>
Can someone define or describe 'functional parkour'
>>
>>194879
I assume it means traditional utilitarian parkour, as opposed to flamboyant freerunning. Do you have an example of where you saw the term?
>>
>>194955
no
>>
How do I do parkour without drawing attention to myself or getting arrested?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.