[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: goju ryu.jpg (200 KB, 723x1024)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
discuss martial arts here

Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/8Vw9d7j
Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/
BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help: http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

What to look for in a martial arts gym:
>Physically conditioned, fit participants
>Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
>Sparring, "aliveness" in training
>At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
>Physical conditioning part of training
>Clean facility with mats that are frequently washed

What to be wary of:
>Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
>Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
>No proven athletes training there
>No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
>Cult-like atmosphere
>No physical conditioning
>long mandatory contracts with hefty fees for breaking

last thread: >>66410
>>
>>75654
>Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
What if I'm the only fat, physically subpar student?
>>
>>75664
Then there's a good chance if you stick with it you won't stay fat and physically subpar.
>>
is 26 too old to get an (amateur)fight in either mma or vale tudo? or should I just train for the fun of it?
>im on nofap hardmode and looking to do manl stuff to avoid thinking of sex
>>
>>75654
is goju ryu that unknown??
>>
Posted this already in the kickboxing thread but reposting here because dead board.
What are good website to buy equipment in Canada? Specifically gloves. Amazon isn't viable here.
Is buying equipment where you train generally a rip off?
>>
DK Yoo vs Bradley Scott.

Opinions?
>>
>>75654
I will never for the life of me understand the obsession with physical conditioning in a martial arts class. Just go work out, and do so in an environment optimized for working out.

I'm paying lots of money to learn a martial, don't waste my small amount of time that I could be sparring or practicing something useful, by making me do a sub par workout like burpees or push ups.

If I went to a physical trainer for weight lifting training and they had me doing pushups or pad work, I'd stop giving them my money.
>>
>>75868
there's gonna be some last minute fuckery 100%
>>
File: z0jpw1obt1r61.png (245 KB, 519x676)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
>>75654
>>
>>75793
Never really too late to train, some people are genetic superfreaks and can become world class in a short amount of time, its a matter of getting good training consistently and putting work into your physical conditioning
>>
>>75793
>Nofap
>feels a need for manly hobbies, since he's insecure from not getting laid
You're the kind of dork that gets heemed for beer money in an amateur MMA fight. Go for it.
>>
>>75830
Newfag
>>
For a complete newcomer that doesn't want to spend a ton of money, what would you recommend between Taekwondo and Judo? Or something else maybe? I feel like Taekwondo might be the juice for me just because I have good leg strength, but I'm totally new to the martial arts scene and don't really know what I'm getting into.
>>
is Kobudo worth making a long trip to(dojo is far away from my house),? of course i will do it just for fun,I wont go around with a sickle and chain in daily life.
what can I expect in a kobudo class? mainly interested in tonfa and nunchuck
>>
>>76111
tkd has some anti grappling in the more advanced belts. judo is very for sports(point system)but can be lethal on a concrete floor.
do you want to have fun or be able to kill an attackers?
>>
>>76111
Is your goal primarily self defense or is it primarily participating in a sport? Your 'leg strength' probably isn't going to help you either way so don't think you need to maximize your strengths when picking an art. You probably aren't going to be a pro fighter.

I vastly prefer Judo as a sport and think it is more practical as well. But TKD has a way bigger community in most countries, particularly in America, and it seems like you could have a decent amount of fun doing it if you don't care for harder kickboxing. One problem is that TKD oscillates wildly from straight up horseshit no-contact mcdojos to olympic rulesets which are actually competitive so you'll need to vet whatever gym you're attending very carefully. Post it here if you have doubts. Watch some matches on youtube to get an idea of what the competition and art is like. Personally, I knew Judo was for me when I first saw a killer uchi-mata.
>>
>>76116
Most basic training in kobudo is done with long staff (bo). Tonfa and nunchaku come later and don't have as much material for them. If the dojo is far away, you better have time and space to train your favorite weapons at home or outside also.
>>
>>75793
Kongo is 20 years older than you and still ranked 3rd in Bellator HW.
>>
>>75865
I would like to know as well.
I got most of my stuff from Amazon and some real good shit at venum (shipping sucks but wait for a sale
>>
>>75793
You can be virtually any age if you want to fight in amateurs. There's plenty of 30-40 year old guys competing for the first time there.
>>
>>75868
they both suck, I want to see the chinaman win. Think it'll be funnier
>>
>>75877
Some poeple don't have the means or time to workout at home.
>>
File: 1638094779235.jpg (177 KB, 500x374)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>75654
>have done jeet kune do since 2016 to supplement my boxing
>dabble with eskrima. Sticks, knives, nunchakus, gun, etc.
>saved my life several times
And normies said jkd wasn't effective

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.