[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: goju ryu.jpg (200 KB, 723x1024)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
discuss martial arts here

Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/8Vw9d7j
Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/
BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help: http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

What to look for in a martial arts gym:
>Physically conditioned, fit participants
>Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
>Sparring, "aliveness" in training
>At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
>Physical conditioning part of training
>Clean facility with mats that are frequently washed

What to be wary of:
>Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
>Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
>No proven athletes training there
>No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
>Cult-like atmosphere
>No physical conditioning
>long mandatory contracts with hefty fees for breaking

last thread: >>66410
>>
>>75654
>Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
What if I'm the only fat, physically subpar student?
>>
>>75664
Then there's a good chance if you stick with it you won't stay fat and physically subpar.
>>
is 26 too old to get an (amateur)fight in either mma or vale tudo? or should I just train for the fun of it?
>im on nofap hardmode and looking to do manl stuff to avoid thinking of sex
>>
>>75654
is goju ryu that unknown??
>>
Posted this already in the kickboxing thread but reposting here because dead board.
What are good website to buy equipment in Canada? Specifically gloves. Amazon isn't viable here.
Is buying equipment where you train generally a rip off?
>>
DK Yoo vs Bradley Scott.

Opinions?
>>
>>75654
I will never for the life of me understand the obsession with physical conditioning in a martial arts class. Just go work out, and do so in an environment optimized for working out.

I'm paying lots of money to learn a martial, don't waste my small amount of time that I could be sparring or practicing something useful, by making me do a sub par workout like burpees or push ups.

If I went to a physical trainer for weight lifting training and they had me doing pushups or pad work, I'd stop giving them my money.
>>
>>75868
there's gonna be some last minute fuckery 100%
>>
File: z0jpw1obt1r61.png (245 KB, 519x676)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
>>75654
>>
>>75793
Never really too late to train, some people are genetic superfreaks and can become world class in a short amount of time, its a matter of getting good training consistently and putting work into your physical conditioning
>>
>>75793
>Nofap
>feels a need for manly hobbies, since he's insecure from not getting laid
You're the kind of dork that gets heemed for beer money in an amateur MMA fight. Go for it.
>>
>>75830
Newfag
>>
For a complete newcomer that doesn't want to spend a ton of money, what would you recommend between Taekwondo and Judo? Or something else maybe? I feel like Taekwondo might be the juice for me just because I have good leg strength, but I'm totally new to the martial arts scene and don't really know what I'm getting into.
>>
is Kobudo worth making a long trip to(dojo is far away from my house),? of course i will do it just for fun,I wont go around with a sickle and chain in daily life.
what can I expect in a kobudo class? mainly interested in tonfa and nunchuck
>>
>>76111
tkd has some anti grappling in the more advanced belts. judo is very for sports(point system)but can be lethal on a concrete floor.
do you want to have fun or be able to kill an attackers?
>>
>>76111
Is your goal primarily self defense or is it primarily participating in a sport? Your 'leg strength' probably isn't going to help you either way so don't think you need to maximize your strengths when picking an art. You probably aren't going to be a pro fighter.

I vastly prefer Judo as a sport and think it is more practical as well. But TKD has a way bigger community in most countries, particularly in America, and it seems like you could have a decent amount of fun doing it if you don't care for harder kickboxing. One problem is that TKD oscillates wildly from straight up horseshit no-contact mcdojos to olympic rulesets which are actually competitive so you'll need to vet whatever gym you're attending very carefully. Post it here if you have doubts. Watch some matches on youtube to get an idea of what the competition and art is like. Personally, I knew Judo was for me when I first saw a killer uchi-mata.
>>
>>76116
Most basic training in kobudo is done with long staff (bo). Tonfa and nunchaku come later and don't have as much material for them. If the dojo is far away, you better have time and space to train your favorite weapons at home or outside also.
>>
>>75793
Kongo is 20 years older than you and still ranked 3rd in Bellator HW.
>>
>>75865
I would like to know as well.
I got most of my stuff from Amazon and some real good shit at venum (shipping sucks but wait for a sale
>>
>>75793
You can be virtually any age if you want to fight in amateurs. There's plenty of 30-40 year old guys competing for the first time there.
>>
>>75877
Some poeple don't have the means or time to workout at home.
>>
File: 1638094779235.jpg (177 KB, 500x374)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>75654
>have done jeet kune do since 2016 to supplement my boxing
>dabble with eskrima. Sticks, knives, nunchakus, gun, etc.
>saved my life several times
And normies said jkd wasn't effective
>>
>>75877
Okay, but consider this. Some people that want to get into martial arts can't do a single push up. If you went to a physical trainer for weight lifting training with that little strength, then they probably wouldn't have you lifting weights.
>>
>>75868
Just watched the weigh-ins. Is it normal to have the fighters demonstrate their movements like that? It seemed pointless and, if anything, made DK and Brad both look worse.
>>
>>76625
I would probably start them on the bench with a curl bar desu. The light calisthenics that begin most BJJ classes are not going to result in any significant strength gains. A little bit of sport specific warmup is fine. In judo we used to do rapid uchi komi to get everybody sweating but I've always hated the jogging and jumping jacks and shit. Just a waste of time. If you want to increase endurance, set a timer during sparring.

Worse are the gyms that do a shitton of conditioning, like 20+ minutes so that everyone is good and exhausted before class even begins and fatigue impedes learning. Unfortunately common with kids classes and totally counter productive. Physical training is going to have to be separate from sports training at the end of the day. Trying to do both at the same time is a worst of both worlds approach.
>>
>>
>>76629
In our gym we did longer warm ups for newbs in the beginning so that when we started sparring people don't go all out with the punches and so that we had some work capacity built up over the first month or two. Generally 5-15 min warm up with jogging and skipping, shadowboxing. The advanced class just does 5-10 min warmup do whatever you want. Sparring or padwork most of the lesson then the last 10 min is usually some bodyweight circuit or sprints but now we usually do 100 kicks, punches, knees and teeps on each leg/hand and then you can leave or stay and stretch for a while.
>>
>>75654
I want to start learning martial arts im 21, I have taken a couple punches in my life but I mainly just want to toughen up and become confident in my ability to defend myself if I ever am in a confrontation without my EDC knife. I am not really sure what to chose as my first since I assume its smart to learn multiple different fighting styles anyway here is whats around me:
Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, Jeet Kun Do, Krav Maga, Judo and Hapkido.

The Judo and Hapkido ones are really highly rated so I was considering those. also what exactly is a decent price for lessons? I know thats based on area I just dont want to waste a fuck ton of money and find out that the school was shit all along. Would rather take one piece of bad news than two.
>>
>>77190
Kickboxing and/or Judo. Everything else listed is bad or meme tier except Jiu Jitsu but it won't exactly help you in a confrontation like judo or kickboxing probably would.
>>
File: 1631894184569.jpg (13 KB, 238x250)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>77191
Thanks anon!
Just out of curiousness what makes Hapkido bad?
[spoiler]its literally the closest place to me so im somewhat partial for that however if it really is bad then I can happily prioritize becoming tougher rather than convince then the Judo place would be my next best bet.[/spoiler]
>>
>>77195
90% of it is like TKD+Aikido used against compliant opponents, I have only heard bad things. At a kickboxing or boxing gym you know what you're gonna get generally (unless it is a boxcercise class) but you can tell that easily
>>
>>77167
Cute!
>>
>>77202
Cheers thanks anon, I plan to email the closest Judo dojo and just asked if they were a good place to learn the art of Judo and its techniques rather than the actual sport that Judo is practiced in plus they offer 2 free weeks of lessons no questions asked so they seem pretty confident in being a good place.
>>
File: Screenshot_268.jpg (129 KB, 711x1013)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>77223
On their site is requirements for advancements this image is for brown belt and this seems way tougher than that Hapkido dojo where they actually charged money to attempt it ($60 fucking bucks) this place seems way more interested in teaching rather than profit. But who knows il do the 2 free weeks and see if I like it.

But that requires you to have been in 2 tournaments outside the dojo atleast confirms this isn't a cult kek.
>>
>>77227
Yeah, competition participation is part of shodan prerequisites in the US iirc. To be honest, I'm not exactly impressed by their brown belt requirement from that screenshot - but I'm in TX which is one of the more competitive judo regions in the US (inasmuch as the US is competitive)

>>77223
2wks of free lessons seems like desperation to me. I don't think that judo can or should be given away for free like that. One can rag on the sport of judo, but the sporting aspect and the philosophy of Jigoro Kano with respect to randori helps to keep it more legit than many martial arts.
>>
>>77274
I am Canadian and this is way better than anywhere else that is in reasonable distance to me
>2wks of free lessons seems like desperation to me.
to be fair its covid times everyone is struggling. Seems like they want people in the door.
>>
Anybody here complete and also work a white collar job? How do you balance the two, and has fighting affected your job performance at all?
>>
Kind of a weird question but are there any resources you guys can provide such as videos, books, etc for different martial arts? If not, at least where I can find shit for this? There’s a lot of “free” sources for weightlifting but not martial arts. It’s hard enough finding videos, I can’t imagine how hard it is for books and dvds
>>
>>77747
What kind of stuff are you looking for? Are you looking more into history or technical stuff? What is your goal?
>>
File: Tomoe_nage.jpg (104 KB, 1200x675)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
I'm a newfag to this board.
but i want to practice Tai Chi cuz health benefits.
I am worried about loosing muscle flexibility and muscle-pain each year i become older.
also, i'm a bit interested in juudo cuz i'm a huge weeb
Should i go for Tai Chi or other option?
>>
>>77769
Technical stuff, like moves/techniques/drills/etc
>>
>>77815
Do you have any martial arts experience or are you starting from scratch?
>>
Why haven’t they created a dummy that properly mimics the human body? I’m this close to getting those fireman dummies they use to do save training
>>
>>78053
Grappling dummies already exist
>>
so i feel dumb even asking this question but when it comes to getting into martial arts around me the online presence of all the local practitioners is pure shit but they all tend to list a phone number. I assume thats all just because most of the people running these classes probably don't know much about maintaining an online presence.

to find out about prices, times, taster sessions etc. am i just ment to call them and ask or do i just show up at a time i would assume they have a class and ask to sit in and watch?
>>
>>78197
Having a good online presence is a red flag. If their website looks like its from the 90s thats a good sign.

Anyways just call them you autist
>>
>>75793
>>im on nofap hardmode and looking to do manl stuff to avoid thinking of sex

Warrior mentality right there
>>
Do MT teachers know Boran or Lethwei? Those seem a lot more difficult to find than MT
>>
>>78912
Nobody does either of those outside of 20 dudes in southeast asia. Just do musy thai instead of being a special snowflake
>>
>>78209
Why do people still believe this? Is it something that got traction on mcdojo.com/bullshido years ago or promulgated on Reddit and now it's gospel?
>>
>>75654
I used to browse /asp/ up until wrestefags came, I have to ask is pipe bomb-do still a meme around these threads?
>>
>>79025
It was never a meme, nothing beats a well placed pipe bomb
>>
>>76506
holy shit your picture almost made me choke
>>
idk, but i've come to hate the martial arts community. i hate how "humble" people are, it's so fucking fake. not saying there is anything wrong with sportsmanship but their are people who do it as an act for some reason. i hate how passive aggressive everyone is, like how eager everyone is to test there skills or something, makes me uneasy. i hate how these are some of the deadliest men on the planet and yet they are insecure and easy to break mentally and then they start acting like monkeys. i also hate how at tournaments people get very intimidated by one another, it's like this if you meet someone who does martial arts outside of the gym. idk I've always tend to stick to myself, once i get my black belt and some medals i don't want to be associated with these fucking gorillas anymore
>>
>>79152
I literally I have no idea what youre talking about. Youre mad that they arent actively aggressive but you call them gorrillas? What the fuck do you expect? Do you think they ought to be challenging eachother to duels hong kong cinema style all the time to prove their superiority?

And yeah theure humble. You have to lose over and over in order to learn how to win. Theyre humble because they know theyre not invincible. I dont know why you think thats "fake"
And yeah of course theyre nervous when they go to competition. They arent fighting randos theyre fighting other trained fighters who could fuck them up permanently if they mess up.

What is your issue, exactly? The fact that you have no medals tells me you dont know what youre talking about in general already but of you have such a disdain for martial artists why do you even want to become one? Whats the point of a black belt to you?
>>
File: 1632018597879.gif (1.7 MB, 320x294)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB GIF
>>79169
>Youre mad that they arent actively aggressive but you call them gorrillas? What the fuck do you expect?
no, they get intimidated by one another for no reason i called them monkeys casue i felt like it
>Theyre humble because they know theyre not invincible. I dont know why you think thats "fake"
casue it's an act, i'll shake hands and i won't be a bitch casue you beat me but i'm not gonna be hugging you and shit because you beat me or acting like we're friends.
>And yeah of course theyre nervous when they go to competition. They arent fighting randos theyre fighting other trained fighters who could fuck them up permanently if they mess up
okay? i didn't say nervous i said intimidated as in they size each other up and shit

i have nothing to prove you or tell you why i wanna be a martial artist, you fucking retarded nigger, i have competed and have won a medal in a 20 man tournament, these are my honest thoughts and experiences. kill yourself now
>>
>>79199
>no, they get intimidated by one another for no reason
What does this even mean
>i said it cause I felt like it
So youre autistic, got it
>i'm not gonna be hugging you and shit because you beat me or acting like we're friends.
Jesus youre REALLY autistic. Im sorry you dont understand social interaction or how to bond with your fellow man.
>i said intimidated as in they size each other up and shit
Probably because they want to win, retard. Theyre not intimidated theyre sizing up their opponents to decide how they should best go about beating them.
>i have nothing to prove you or tell you why i wanna be a martial artist, you fucking retarded nigger,
Lmao, tard rage. Im guessing you want to get back at your high school bullies thats why you want a black belt lol.
>REEEE I DONT HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU REEEEEEEEEEE
>I WON, I WON I SWEAR IM A WINNER
>>
>>78053
>Why haven’t they created a dummy that properly mimics the human body?
Advanced sex dolls exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_FQpLv68KM
>>
>>75654
would there be a huge difference in training between a muay thai+bjj gym and a MMA gym? i originally wanted to get into mma but the price and distance from my house has me leaning towards the MT+bjj place. both gyms have active fighters and proven instructors the MMA gym just seems to be on another level of training though like having fighters reach bellator and the ufc
>>
>>79841
>tfw practicing my chi blasts on a sex doll
ya'll ain't ready for me
>>
File: 1631826564931.jpg (292 KB, 1448x2048)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
Is ninpo/ninjutsu a meme or legit?
>>
>>79912
>the price and distance from my house has me leaning towards the MT+bjj place
If it's so far that you might have days where you'll skip training or be stressed by the drive, it's not worth it.
Unless you want to be a professional fighter, I'm sure the MT & BJJ gym combo will suffice. If you live in a decent sized city, it's almost a guarantee that those gyms will have MMA fighters or experienced coaches that can help you work on combining the martial arts (ie MT sparring with takedowns, BJJ rounds from standing, whatever)
Do a trial class at each place and see what the vibe is
>>
>>80494
Total meme. The most legit stuff is Bujinkan, which is still martial arts fiction wrt to it being ninjutsu. But Hatsumi has a judo and jujutsu background that has clearly been incorporated making it not completely useless. Although it is still a massive waste of time.

If you absolutely have to be a ninjer then start studying Japanese and apply to the world's only existent ninja research center at Mie University. You and this guy can hang out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOjP-YBYfDE
>>
>>80494
meme
Ninjutsu is not a martial art for a start
>>
>>80494
What >>80508 and >>80522 said is correct. Ninjutsu was legit as a collection of strategies for things like espionage and unconventional warfare back in the day. Think about the things Ninja were actually doing back then, most of it wasn't hand-to-hand combat. That was just one component of their training, and I can't see much reason for following their methods for it other than Ninjas being cool.
>>
>>77468
Depends on how long you've been an active athlete. If you've been doing it a long time you'll be conditioned enough to recover for work the next day. I used to work and train daily, so did one of my colleagues, but it takes a special kind of obsession and be prepared to ditch everything else in your life.
>>
>>80538
Oh and I forgot, towards the tail end of the week when you're all beat up and ready for rest, start taking training slower and easier or you'll hurt yourself. It should be the other way round, like easy at the start and hard at the end, so you can keep it up for the week and you get 1 or 2 days rest right after the worst days. However, psychology, training and your partners' mentality exist outside your control. You can try to communicate these needs to your instructor and partners.
>>
>>77468
yeah, I work in law and work about 60 hours a week on average and am pretty active in judo competitions

I manage to juggle both fairly well, along with a bit of golf on the side. you just need to get into a routine where you can manage to fit in all your commitments and then know what you're happy to let slide at times. for me, my career is the most important thing so if I have to pull all nighters and work over the weekend, I'll let my sport stuff fall to the side. basically I don't let my job be compromised, but I do let the other stuff slip a bit.

would I be better at judo and golf if I worked less? obviously, yeah. I probably could have been a professional golfer had I got into it as a teenager and I'd be a scratch golfer if I had more time to dedicate to it as an adult. I recognise that I'm not going to reach those levels now though, and I don't let it worry me too much.

I guess it also helps that I'm single and don't have a partner or any children that I have to dedicate my time to.
>>
>>77190
The guy who said TKD was used on compliant opponents is an idiot, it's a competitive martial art it just doesn't allow for grappling.

TKD and Aikido, or the weird hybrid which is Hapkido are all okay in their own way. TKD tends to make a good addition to Kickboxing and Muay Thai, Aikido tends to make a good addition to Judo or BJJ. It's best to see them as complimentary specialist arts and not standalone systems.
>>
File: image_2022-01-13_122720.png (724 KB, 1200x676)
724 KB
724 KB PNG
Do any of you guys compete in anything else? I've always wanted to put my karate to the test in like MMA or kick boxing or something but i have no idea how to get into any of amateur stuff or if there even is any amateur stuff near me that will accept me.

Also, as someone who spends a lot of time drilling with the beginners because I'm one of the few younger guys who isn't a black belt, how do i get out of the "teaching" mindset when I spar the higher grades? Last session I was sparring with one of the black belts and his fist grazed my chin and I immediately stopped and said "hansoku", and he didn't and just landed a big round house to my chest. We were wearing gloves and sparring lightly so it doesn't matter but how do i get over my mindset of following the rules as strictly as I can and instead just focusing on fighting and applying techniques?
>>
File: unknown.png (578 KB, 612x408)
578 KB
578 KB PNG
I'm gonna preface with the fact I'm a cripple who's been wheelchair-bound since birth and I'm also kind of stupid so if what I'm asking about sounds nonsensical, it's because I literally don't understand how legs and feet really work.
I was randomly thinking about how I read some guy bitching about someone kicking "wrong" by using the top of their feet. I always assumed you were supposed to like, punch them with your toe knuckles or whatever you call them like you would punch with your hand's knuckles, like pic related, those areas. Is that not how it works?
>>
>>80777
Depends on style but ive never heard of any kicking twchnique where you try to hit with your toes because they have a tendance to break. Muay thai tends to kick with the shins, whereas a karate roundhouse tends to land with the top of the foot. Some other kicks land with the heel or ball of the foot, but ive never seen someone intentionally kick with their toes.
>>
>>80777
You usually kick with your shin, heel, ball of the foot, or instep. The hitting surface you use depends on your style of the move you're doing.

You can kick with the toes, but they're fragile and would break if you hit something hard. The only times you see people kick with toes is if

>they've conditioned to their toes to the point that they can kick things without pain/damage

or

>they practice a kicking art where they wear shoes so the risk of breaking your toe is lessened
>>
My kicks are very weak I have not grinded them out thousands of time but my form does not have any flaws that my coaches would correct. I have been reading around and people say grinding the kick for a few months will get more power but my technique would only improve a little. Will throwing thousands of kicks at the heavybag really improve the power of the kick enough to be worthwhile? I dont mean like 10% also how does this process work in improving power if it does work?
>>
>>80783
>does practicing something make you better at it?
>>
>>80784
I have practied my jab somewhat and there has been 0 difference in power the technique has been the same without flaws from the start as well this is why I am asking
>>
>>80783
Yes, practice makes you better. Take it from a TKD blackbelt though, if your only problem is power (which it probably isn't since good technique will always grant some power) then you need a calisthenics rountine. Check out Kneesovertoes guy on youtube and do everything he says to do. You probably have a tonne of muscle imbalances and deficiencies.
>>
>>80783
Also, if that pic is of you kicking then I can tell you your technique is terrible.
>>
>>80790
new here can you tell me what is wrong his technique there I can't see anything wrong?
>>
>>80787
If youre practicing and not getting better then talk to your coach. If your coach has nothing helpful to say find a different coach.
>>
>>80791
1. Right foot is 90 degrees from angle of target, should be between 120 and 160. Shows a lack of rotational power.
2. Right leg is too straight, needs greater bend at knee or it will pack stability.
3. Right foot is flat on ground, needs lift onto ball of foot.
4. Left hips is sitting behind his right, it should be vertically parallel or have turned over the right hip completely to allpw bodily rotation to drive the force through.
5. Left leg is extended completely at point of impact, which means all the power was delivered before his leg even touched the bag. His leg should be bent an the target he's aiming for should be the core of the bag itself not the outside.
6. There is no bend at his waist so he will be easily off balanced.
7. Arms are completely wrong, no defence from his left arm but no power increasing swing from it either.

If you roundhouse/turning kick thin air and your technique doesn't take you in a full 360 to your original stance, then you aren't kicking for a real fight. Just for points. As I said, TKD black belt competed in MMA, mock me if you want but it there's anything I know better that most people here it's how to kick.
>>
>>80796
Absolutely correct
>t. 8 years of Muay Thai
>>
>>79912
Learning Muay Thai and BJJ separately makes it easier to learn correct technique properly than MMA does
>>
>>80788
>Take it from a TKD blackbelt
>TKD
No.
>>
What do you think of this place?

http://www.sansooafc.com/Photos.asp

I'm looking for places where to learn a martial art near where I live and I'm not sure what to pick.

I'm 23, looking for something for self-defense that includes striking and grappling techniques.
>>
File: l.gif (402 KB, 216x162)
402 KB
402 KB GIF
>>80944
Ah the ancient art of "throw a punch thats not even in range to connect then hold your arm out while I beat you up." A time honored classic.

Just go to an mma gym.
>>
>>80945
Thanks anon, I found a good-looking one with students that engage in competitions and shit, looks great.
>>
File: 198741290415.png (305 KB, 437x310)
305 KB
305 KB PNG
>>80538
>I used to work and train daily
>it takes a special kind of obsession
>mfw used to train seven days a week even though our gym was from monday to friday and on days off (coach used to head out of state to cornerman other members) I'd cross train with other gyms
>>
>>80977
on another note the coach was mega chill, he'd only charge you 10 bucks for a month worth of training and was really lenient with payment. This was a sanda gym but we used to compete in boxing and mma events mostly
>>
>>80790
I have seen far worse for a beginner
>>
>>78055
I know some guys that claim using grappling dummies teach bad grappling habits

Does anyone know if that there is truth to that?
I am striker mostly so im asking out of interest
>>
>>80977
>>80977
Some people can manage it healthily. Gym deal sounds great. Overtraining's a real issue for people who haven't been doing something for a long time with progressive ramp up for connective tissue to adapt. I had my teenage years in my high school competitive judo team so I was fine training daily if very very tired. Friend of mine tries to do BJJ daily with a malnourished youth, tears/dislocated a shoulder from simple grip fighting in a few months. I never did much running and when I decided to in my late teens and ramped up too fast to daily 10km in 1 hours, my knees got rekt in 2 years. Now I'm old, 30 and deconditioned, jumping back into daily training will get me injured in no time.
>>
>muscles make you stiff, bro. don't lift weights!
this myth is so retarded. why is it so prevalent in MA circles? where is that even coming from? every sport where athletic activity plays a role has some form of specific weight training.
>>
>>77468
I have been training for 11 years in combat sports. I would say 12-14 hours a week, on average.
>How do you balance the two
I don't understand the question. I just do it. If you are a real one, you will understand.
>and has fighting affected your job performance at all?
I guess so, indirectly. I'm reaping the benefits of an my physical shape.
>>
>>81347
Did you compete, and in which specific sport?
>>
>>79912
Depends who is teaching the classes

>>76111
Judo for practicality

>>77780
Tai Chi is so light you can use it to recover from Judo. If only one then Judo for practicality

>>80739
Realize that you trying to teach the beginners is cope for you not being good. That time would be better spent refining your own technique. Your cope is exposed when up against those who have spent more time refining their technique. Also you're probably teaching the beginners wrong

>>81048
If you ever want to get back into cardio look into heart rate training. By staying in the cardio zones you know you are improving your aerobic fitness without overdoing it. Also look into kneesovertoesguy
>>
File: 1618177643887.jpg (57 KB, 800x630)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Muay thai Vol 1 Warm Up, Conditioning & Introduction to Equipment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwSaBkjamk&ab_channel=nashman [Embed]

Muay Thai Boxing Volume 2: Basic Footwork, Punches & Elbows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhisKSZD5Y&ab_channel=CombatSportsTapes [Embed]

Muay thai Vol 3 Kicks & Amp, Knees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW5cRcP-6nE&ab_channel=nashman [Embed]

Muay Thai Boxing Volume 4: Fighting Techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSf2uHI1Wfg&ab_channel=CombatSportsTapes [Embed]

Some more muay thai/boxing torrents here: >>>/t/1092363
>>
>>81545
>reddit spacing
>>
Having a lot of fun with Judo, feels like the first martial art I can really get invested in.
>>
can you guys give me some fights in mma where someone is getting t'ed off against the cage
Id like it to study defense here
>>
File: devillance.png (173 KB, 500x500)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>75884
>Assassination styles
You fucking mean devil lance is real?
>>
>>80796
what autism is this
>>
>>82113
Machidas ko of Rashad Evans was like that. Also a lot of Chuck Lidells finishes.
>>
>>75654
Is it possible to learn anything from just watching videos or something? I moved to a rough area and I dont want to get my ass kicked in a street fight but I can't afford actual trainers.
>>
There's a Bujinkan place near me and I honestly want to try it out just for the LARP
>>
>>82518
Technique.
>>
some people have been telling me that each race learns how to fight in their body differently. I am latino they said that because of that my first time throwing the leg kick with technique will be as good in power and speed as the first time versus a white fighter will grind that same kick thousands of times and get better at it in speed and power.

this is aided by me hearing one of the coaches of the gym I just joined saying he didn't know how to train a latin fighter. What do you think of this ?
>>
>>82579
That’s pretty retarded anon
>>
File: Combat Sports RDX.jpg (50 KB, 600x350)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>75877

Because a lot of people (like 99%) who start a martial art or combat sport simply aren't conditioned enough to do it in a pressure tested environment like on a mat/in a ring/in a cage.

So for arts that are heavily pressure tested at competition, like boxing/kickboxing/wrestling/bjj, the instructor has no choice but to include conditioning in the class.

For TMAs that have no or little pressure testing, like wing-chun/akido/eskrima/jjj, the instructor can get away with just teaching techniques.

Also ngl but you can instantly see the difference in arts that include conditioning as part of the training vs arts that don't.

The people who do the classes without conditioning look like stereotypical skinny-fat weebs and dorks man.
>>
>>81390
Yes. I have 4:2 amateur MMA record.
>>82639
In my experience, if you are actually serious with training, conditioning just in class nowhere near enough, even for an amateur bout. You need at least 3 sessions of strength and conditioning additionally to combat sports classes.
>>
>>82113
Israel Adesanya vs Paulo Costa was a masterclass of avoiding someone trying to tee off on you against the cage.
>>
>>82681

Agreed. 99.9% of people doing combat sports are either complete beginners or not doing it to compete. The classes have to include conditioning simply to bring people up to scratch for sparring/rolling and even continuous pad work/drilling needed to learn techniques.
>>
File: cd4xi635xcd61.jpg (720 KB, 1000x1001)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
>>
File: shin kicking.jpg (10 KB, 300x168)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Any shin kickers here? I'd like to give it a try but all the open competitions seem to be based in the UK.
>>
do you guys have any videos or advice on basic mma footwork? The best I can do is slowly plod
>>
>>83554

Your Muay Thai or boxing class should cover footwork on the first day. Your wrestling or Judo class should teach you about moving standing up into takedowns..

MMA classes are good to bring separately learned styles (one striking like kickboxing, MT; one takedown focused like Judo, wrestling; one ground game focused like gi or no-gi BJJ) together.
>>
File: existence.jpg (22 KB, 480x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
i'm scared of fighting a fucking 5'10 goofy manlet that walks out to D.A.N.C.E, you can't be worse than me bros
>>
File: 1630812854830.jpg (144 KB, 1077x1600)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>Wu Style Tai Chi Quan
Now that's a fucking throwback. Does anyone have his original /asp/ .gifs? I lost them on my old computer. That shit was always a fucking riot.
>>
>>83594
I’ve been trying to find that gif of his horrible sidekick since this board started but it seems like no one has it
>>
>>83592

by Justice?

holy shit that's based af, be very afraid

You should come out to Genesis by Justice
>>
File: iNyIqCt.gif (2.08 MB, 360x270)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB GIF
>>83594
>>
File: nMMRI6n.gif (2.55 MB, 480x360)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB GIF
>>
>>82579

This is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.
>>
>>83687
>>83688
Based archiver, I miss /asp/ :(
>>
>>82579
Right....

Take your meds
>>
>>83473
Just do judo and spam "hiza guruma"
>>
>>81345
Fighters are more scared of getting tired than getting knocked out
>>
>>83687
>>83688
why the fuck was this dude shadowboxing in his bathrobe anyway
>>
File: kata.jpg (203 KB, 1168x1600)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>75654
>>75830
I remember studying Goju ryu when I was younger. It taught me a lot but in return I only know the basics of its history. Why's it as far as it is on the iceberg?
>>
>>84137
Old /asp/ meme. Ask enough and you can summon Goju guy to the thread.
>>
IS there any absolute rolling commentary where they are going over every actions name and what is happening in detail?
>>
>>83996
>>83687 is a parody of >>83688. There was a "kick contest" of some sort and the original guy would always talk about how good of a martial artist he was. He was laughed at prolifically before that point and especially afterward when he made this .gif in response to said contest.

>>83700
I will never not be livid about /woo/, especially considering how dumb that whole scenario was. It makes me seethe to this day.
>A general banned from /sp/
>Came to the slow board of /asp/ to strongarm it
>Prolifically spammed and posted porn, jannies and mods refused to do anything
>Only response was tacking on "& Wrestling" to "Alternative Sports"
>No one could ever actually talk about said alternative sports and gave up
>Hiroshimoot's brilliant plan, rather than make an /incel/ - Internet Celebrity board and give /asp/ back to its original posters, was axe the board and make one for /woo/ while making two separate boards for the contents of /asp/
>>
>>84137
Because of a tripfag board idiot who though Goju-ryu was the most complete and self-sufficient martial art ever created and invincible against all other pure styles. He conspicuously always referred to it as "goju-ryu" and never acknowledged it as a type of karate, as if it dropped out Heaven above fully formed and fully clothed.
>>
how do I get to titan fc? is there a smaller promotion than it I have to win at first?
>>
The owner of MAG is a pedo, be warned
>>
BJJBros…t-this is a win for us right?
>>
Going for my second judo lesson on Sunday wish me luck anons

Fingers got all fucked up and almost broke my arm in the first session

How to avoid the torn fingers?
>>
>>84934
>How to avoid the torn fingers?
Tape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf74JUZcbXc
>>
>>84930
Are you the turk?
If so do everyone a favor and fuck off for good. That fucking statement is even a new low for your absolute retarded dumbass
>>
>>84933
He did the smart thing just handing over his phone, there’s no shame in getting mugged. It is weird to flex like you’ve mastered martial arts by getting fucking robbed though lol
>>
>>84956
I really hate the reddit jiujitsu soiboys who would post about this. Thankfully, they're much more likely to be weed-smoking dudebros irl.
>>
>>84933
Kek what a bitch. A huge dude that actually knew how to fight tried to rob me and my friend at knife point on the train. I think we're still wanted for attempted murder.
>>
>>84983
>things that didn’t happen
>>
>>84933
it's some reddit woman/numale seeking confirmation to cope with their traumatic experience, looking for responses like this >>84956
doesn't really relate to BJJ more than to say that despite training BJJ that person doesn't have the confidence to stand up for themselves, or that they don't have any concept of honor
>>
>>84987
Replies like this are terrible, I get them too sometimes when I post about anything from experiences in my teens to experiences with women and all it does is show that the doubters live incredibly boring or pathetic lives where they think something as basic as this >>84983 is fantasy, or you're a shit tier person surrounded by other shit tier people who lie to you a lot for no reason
>>
>>84930
Post body fat percentage
>>
>>85000

People wanted for attempted murder capable of taking down a knife-wielding well trained "huge dude" don't post on 4chan.
>>
>>84956
unironically true

heeming some bloke is just asking for legal trouble.
>>
>>85014
you have TV celebrities, murderers, famous musicians, rapists, pedophiles, pro athletes, multimillionaires and homeless people posting on 4chan
>>
>>84983
yeah mate epic
>>
>>85000
Checked

This sort of skepticism for tough guy stories like that is 100% warranted given how frequently people make them up irl. On the internet? Get the fuck out of here.

However, even if I believe you that was still retarded. It's like going all in on 2-7 in poker and lucking into a winning straight. Congrats on your victory dipshit, that was still the wrong fucking play. Your life is not worth your wallet and a knife can easily kill you or fuck you up forever even if you win the fight.
>>
>>85031

>This is what retards actually believe
>>
Fist conditioning. Is it a meme? Does punching the wall (with padding) repeatedly makes my knuckle more durable?
>>
>>85417
The best thing you can do for your hands is make sure your wrist is aligned properly and you’re using good punching technique
Aside from that, to strengthen your hands and wrists for punching you can do knuckle push ups, as putting pressure on your joints will eventually strengthen them. Impacting your fists over and over again will build callouses and damage your nerves so that hitting hard shit doesn’t hurt as much, but it’s not exactly a smart thing to do assuming you use your hands for more than punching.
>>
File: china.jpg (18 KB, 480x360)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>85417
Its not a meme you will get callouses as well as denser bones in that area as micro fractures heal. But it can also result in a loss of hand dexterity and arthritis in a later age. Like just kicking the heavy bag with your shin is the same thing. The bone in the shin hardens over time, the difference is that the shin is a solid piece of bone rather than a complex set of small bones and joints. You can do the same thing to your hand but its less consistent results and generally not worth the risk. Look at this freaks hand for example.
>>
File: 1644795455004.jpg (46 KB, 395x600)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>75654
hey guys. i'm not to sure what to do when it comes to martial arts, i want to get a black belt in judo and bjj and compete in them and win medals, i'm so tired of being looked at as a loser. my only problem is idk if i should start with bjj or judo, i know martial artists are autistic about "le style vs style" so like i wouldn't want to do judo then do bjj i guess? so i'm thinking about starting off with bjj then do judo since bjj doesn't really compliment judo i guess you could say. i definitely can't do both at the same time because i'm broke. i know this might sound stupid but i also don't want to do martial arts into my 30s, which means i might just be able to only get one black belt. i have a ton of stuff to say really but don't want to shit up the thread i guess.

also i know, that getting a black belt doesn't mean that you've mastered it, i'm fine with decent or good, and i normies think it's cool so who cares. i also notice that with normies if you talk about martial arts or even just say that you wanna do them they start acting weird, quiet or get defensive, would it be autistic to keep my hobby to myself and lie about it? do you guys have to keep track lf your weight constantly when you compete?
>>
>>85478
1. it's complement
2. why would you want to be competitive in a sport you know nothing about and have no interest in sticking to when you hit 30. Go try both and see what you like, the quality of your gym is more important than the sport anyways.
3. it would be incredibly autistic to lie about your hobbies, who cares if normalfags get fussy, just don't engage in stupid shit like "i could totally beat ur ass"
>>
>>85478
>know martial artists are autistic about "le style vs style" so like i wouldn't want to do judo then do bjj i guess?
I don’t see how these two statements connect to each other. Also the whole of the martial arts community is not /xs/
> so i'm thinking about starting off with bjj then do judo since bjj doesn't really compliment judo i guess you could say.
Wtf? Yes it does what are you talking about
> i definitely can't do both at the same time because i'm broke. i know this might sound stupid but i also don't want to do martial arts into my 30s, which means i might just be able to only get one black belt. i have a ton of stuff to say really but don't want to shit up the thread i guess.
Just do whichever one you feel you’d stay consistent with. I am curious why you assume you’ll want to stop doing martial arts in your 30s though, the people I know who stick with it end up much stronger and more mobile in their old age.
> i also notice that with normies if you talk about martial arts or even just say that you wanna do them they start acting weird, quiet or get defensive, would it be autistic to keep my hobby to myself and lie about it?
The fact that you’re even asking tell me you’ve probably got a little bit of the tism, some let me give you some advice. If your hobbies come up in conversation feel free to talk about them. If they don’t, dont. It’s the same with anything really, no one wants to listen to someone lecture them on a topic they don’t give a shit about. Some people do get defensive when they hear you’re a fighter though just don’t let them drag you into any bullshit.
>do you guys have to keep track lf your weight constantly when you compete?
Yes.
>>
>>85478
You think way too much about this
Judo is often cheaper, BJJ ground game is often better but often have lack stand up grappling in their classes

>i know this might sound stupid but i also don't want to do martial arts into my 30s

Ok normally i would just tell you to fuck off but why the fuck wouldnt you want to do it after becoming 30? If you dont want to follow through with it why start it at all?

>Caring about normies this much

Are you retarded?
Everyone i meet respects my hobbies (Multiple martial arts) if they would not i would still do them because i do what i enjoy and not what other people think is cool.
>>
anyone got that flowchart for picking which martial art to learn?
>>
>>85478
http://www.autism-help.org/
>>
>>85478
It takes like 10 years to get a BJJ black belt, and like 5 for Judo...
>>
File: 16d.jpg (18 KB, 600x450)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Where is a good, reliable site to order gi from?
>>
>>85977
What country and for BJJ or Judo?
Fuji is good for both, 99brand is good for BJJ, Scramble, Hyperfly, Origin
>>85759
Do you want to strike? Then do kickboxing or muay thai. Do you want to grapple? Do BJJ at a good gym that has wrestlers/judokas. Do you want to be good at fighting? Do MMA
>>
>>85979
US
>BJJ or Judo
Is there much of a difference in the uniforms?
>>
>>85986
Judoka are weighed with as little clothes as possible, bjj guys have to be weighed in their his. The consequence of this is that a lighter go has more value in a bjj competition when you need to cut weight whereas a thick, heavy gi is beneficial to judoka since it’s weight doesn’t matter but a thick gi is harder to grip.
>>
>>85991
Interesting, I'll ask which i need specifically when i go back to class next week.
>>
>>85986
There are differences in the dimensions of the gi, with the sleeve width probably being the most notable. The result being that a judo gi is ok for BJJ competitions but a BJJ gi is not ok for Judo. Worth keeping in mind if you wanna train both.
>>
>>75884
wtf is Dim Mak? is it a chinese dumpling?
>>
>>86044
Means “death touch” basically a ninjer autist meme where they believe if you hit someone a certain way it’ll stop their heart or something
>>
>>86004
It really depends on the level of competition; at some local judo tournaments in the last few years in my area, guys have shown up in obvious BJJ gis - between the nascar patches and tighter cut, and they get to fight anyway. But this tends to be in hobbyist divisions like masters/30yo boomer and adult novice, where the attitude is "nobody here is IJF world-tour caliber, so let's make sure everyone has fun and gets on the tatami" instead of being anal-retentive about gi dimensions.
>>
File: count dante.jpg (103 KB, 450x686)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>86044
What >>86046 said. Watch Bloodsport though, it's a cool movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urG1mhnFBjM
>>
>>84999
>getting stabbed to death by two junkies over a fucking phone
>"honor"
I would love to see how you react in that scenario lmao
>>
Does anyone know where I can find the yt channel that has a shit ton of old martial arts instructional videos? I remember it had tons of Japanese and American stuff, maybe a few European Idk. There was a wing chun video made by a Chinese American. There were multiple Japanese instructional videos. And there was a video by an American (shamrock? I think) who taught how to get out of a headlock by squeezing their torso, lifting them up, and suplexing them from the front and able to go around to lock their wrist (or elbow, don’t know if wrist or elbow)

I’m willing to pay $10 because that channel was valuable. I can’t find it in my history from last year and I’m in literal despair
>>
>>86695
Don't know the channel you're talking about, but I love old martial arts instructional videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZbKOQVTQU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSD1b5xQiXY
>>
>>86706
Guess I’m fucked. That channel I was talking about disappeared with all its videos from my history. Fucking Jootube
>>
>>86739
Well your description is really fucking vague can you describe more details about it? Like what martial arts, japanese and chinese american stuff is not really sliming it down
>>
File: 1644024973458.jpg (37 KB, 566x572)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>Looking up stretches because i need them
>Get to exercises for balance improvement
>Get to other martial arts techniques to improved forms
>Somehow get to mui tai "death punches"
>Get to count dante
>Get to dojo wars
>Get to black dragon society
>Get to russo-japanese war
>Get to world war 2 and japanese interment camps
Fucking rabbit holes, all i wanted to learn was some better stretches.
>>
>>86767
Nigga you are like a little baby. You still need to cultivate your inner qi and learn dim mak.
>>
File: 1629651853967.jpg (26 KB, 265x268)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I want to start doing karate but I'm a fat fuck, should I join a dojo now or should I wait until I lose more weight?
>>
>>86825
The good old excusing mindset. Do it now, bc
- you will lose weight while doing Karate (unless you join a mcdojo)
- You will move your other goal, losing weight away and then you will do neither
>>
>>86825
Now. It helps with motivation rather than work out for two weeks and stop.
>>
File: bruce-lee-kicks-quote.jpg (37 KB, 550x376)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
I have done nothing but practice the left jab for 10 years.
>>
>>86838
>Walmart inspirational quote
Bruce Lee becomes more and more laughable every day.
>>
File: 1632271409526.png (178 KB, 473x389)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
>>86838
>>86842
>Mfw i have no idea who Bruce Lee is
>>
>>86842
Presenting inspirational quotes like that is corny, but I like the quote.
>>
How frequently should you look to train martial arts? I want to do Judo again but I work shifts at work which sadly means I can't commit to lessons consistently. Sadly I am thinking of just taking up boxing which is 24/7 near me and would mean I can at least consistently do a combat sport as I am getting fat and depressed otherwise.
>>
>>86838
That’s like 60% of being a good boxer anyways so good job
>>
>>86742
This is what I vividly remember
>And there was a video by an American (shamrock? I think) who taught how to get out of a headlock by squeezing their torso, lifting them up, and suplexing them from the front and able to go around to lock their wrist (or elbow, don’t know if wrist or elbow)
No one else has a video like this
>>
>>86873
2 times a week should be minimum if you want to keep improving but it will take long.
>>
>>86893
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76D7avhB9ns

sounds like that vid but not the channel
>>
File: 1570862349953.jpg (59 KB, 592x541)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
What exercises would anons recommend to help build endurance? I'm typically spent half way though the mma classes, out of breath and muscle exhaustion that i can barely throw jabs or bob and weave, much less grabble.
>>
>>87207
running
HIIT
jumping rope
>>
File: 1641789668328.jpg (33 KB, 564x564)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
From 0% to 100%, how important is footwork?
>>
>>87236
60-80%

Unfortunately, it's hard to teach.
>>
>>87236
100%. I know it's not a popular opinion or teaching method for obvious reasons but any school worth their shit will go months just teaching you footwork just like judo drills breakfalls till you can take a bump in your sleep.
>>
>>87236
95% but 25% of the footwork is moving the feet/boddy, the rest 75% is readings and understanding what rival does.
I mean, you can practice your moves hundreds of hours and yet it can be pretty useless.
In japanese martial arts tai sabaki is teaching together with concepts like sensen no sen, sen no sen, go no sen...
>>
>>87236
Great footwork can turn shit punches into knockout strikes so it’s pretty much 70-80% depending on weight class

I need a crotch guard for my karate comp, any recs?
>>
>>87937
after watching the latest Jackass movie, get a steel cup
>>
>>77747
For books try z library, videos YouTube you have some but it's not complete DVDs of course, maybe try torrent?
>>
File: apu boxing.jpg (144 KB, 895x886)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Is there someone here that trains more than one martial art per day?
I am trying to get into a judo class but the gym have a boxing class (just one hour) in the same day, with a 1 hour interval between them.
I wanted to know if it is feasible for someone just starting (I do run around 8-10km three times per week), because this gym is my second option due to distance from my house.
>>
>>88028
It will be hard but it can also give you an edge in expierence many wont have, espically in MMA
>>
>>88028
I would do that if I had more options. I live in a rural area and only have karate and mma but both train in the same day. Other places are about an hour and a half or more.
>>
>>88030
>>88086
Thanks, but what I was looking for is experience about the physical aspect of it.
I mean, do someone train on a long ass 2 hour class or do classes one after another and feels like they can hold themselves well in the latter one?

I am asking this because this gym is not my number 1 option for neither boxing nor judo. If I end up too tired to properly train the judo class even after some few months I rather do just one or both elsewhere.
>>
>>88571
One will benefit the other
>>
Im the guy who's been using for a while, metal dumbells as makiwaras/punching bags.
Are there any styles in which its useful to be able to kick and hit trees/dumbell metal with full force?
I kinda fantasize about using my metal punching-bag background to be a powerful at boxing..the "metal pound jab"
>>
can't decide between kyokushin and judo. don't have the time or money for both sadly. kyokushin is a much shorter drive, 80 bucks a month no contract. judo gym is owned by an olympian and has a lot of high marks but it's a lot farther away and pricier. can't choose, i've weighed out the pros and cons of each and they come out even
>>
>>88669
karate has the perk youll be able/have to break wooden boards or even concrete if you get very good at it.
i dunno if judo has some equivalent..maybe doing a throw on a very heavy dummy?
>>
>>88669
Karate for the simple fact that you will go more often to training if its closer/a shorter drive - talking from expierence
>>
>>88669
Judo if you want self-defense.
>>
>>88669
Judo is a real sport
>>
>>75654
When I was kid I got black belt, I was good, but not that good, and I still I could still go, but nowhere near BLACK BELT level. Then I learn a few years later they've just said fuck it and let anyone get a black belt. I've seen fat chics who can't do a push up be deemed black belts. Kids who I used to bully in sparring getting black belts. WTF is going on Karate bros.
>>
>>79152
>>79199
A nice, even XS has schizos
>>
ive always wanted to train some martial art, my whole life been fantasizing about it like an idiot without doing it. Specifically was interested in boxing, MT, or MMA, would do something like sambo if i could but yeah i doubt it. recently got told by the doctor that because of my high hyopeia, i am at an extremely increased chance of having retinal detatchment compared to other people, and taking a blow to the head could leave me permanently blind. I am trying to stay positive here. the guy told me that i should still live my life, but not at least it seems like boxing is off the table, because theres such an amphasis on head strikes. The only gym that is near me that i could even feasably drive to is a gracie gym that apparently does mma as well as the bjj, with separate striking classes and 'bjj with striking' classes.

in a place such as that, do you think there would be much reason to worry, and do you think i could reasonably expect to be okay if i mention my health issue? do people spar lightly often? im pretty sure sparring lightly or even medium would be fine. but maybe i should just give up on all of this. maybe one day when im 45 ill find a place that doesnt do head shots like kyokoshin or whatever.
>>
for me its kenpo karate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdB5BD9cMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8nJLcABAO0
>>
>>88776
Dude, I'll be honest with you, if I had a choice between martial arts and being blind or no martial arts; I'd save my vision every time. No martial art is that fun.

As for if you really insist; yes, there will always be that guy at BJJ who tries to slam you. Any grappling art will shake you around a lot.

If you really, really want to do it but be safe as possible, do Taekwondo and tell everyone you can't do headkicks. Or maybe try Tai Chi in the park. There is plenty to martial arts beyond actually beating/choking the life out of someone.
>>
>>88781
This

TMA are often shit on but in that case theres nothing wrong with training a TMA
>>
>>79152
>>79199
Take your mediciation, like wtf are these posts
>>
Started training MMA recently. Need to pick up a mouthguard. Problem is I also use invisalign aligners. Can I use a mouthguard with my aligners in? I noticed ShockDoctor has "braces mouthguards" for people with braces, I wonder if these would be suitable? Or would a cheap boil & bite work fine? Or do I have to take the aligners out and put a mouthguard in every time I need to train (would like to try and avoid this as I already take my aligners out enough during the day)? I know at least one of you has to have some idea about this.
>>
>>88776
Maybe switch gears slightly to HEMA or some sort of sword based martial art? I also don't know if something like Kali does blows to the head but that could be an option
>>
>>88822
you use mouth guard for an hour max 3-4 days a week. Just take it out
>>
>>88776
How hard people spar in class is heavily dependent on the individual gym's culture. Better gyms are less likely to have gym wars or bullies, but they can't filter everybody. You can mitigate the risks by taking precautions (only doing light sparring, only training with vetted people, etc.), but shit happens. It's a contact sport. All it takes is one person to zig instead of zagging to break something.

The only way to be completely risk-free would be to do something without any contact like cardio boxing or tai chi.

>>88828
HEMA is a terrible choice if he wants to avoid blows to the head. You're swinging bars of steel at each other's heads. Even with masks/helmets/padding people still get concussions.

If he wants to do a weapon art, olympic fencing would be a better choice since you really only have to worry about freak accidents than percussive impact. Foil would be ideal since you can only target the body.
>>
File: 1631936380140.png (389 KB, 680x660)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
What's the differences between all the most popular martial arts? All i know is boxing is punches and tai kwan do (spelling?) Does a lot of kicks and for some reason there are people treat karate and kung fu as sub par or a joke for some reason. Could anyone give me a very quick summary of what some of the benefits of everyone and weak points, or point me in a direction?
>>
File: p1.png (168 KB, 1000x1315)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>89036
Well im bored so lets do this:

Boxing: Only punches with the fist, its strength is it footwork and simplicity. Boxing has one of the most used techniques in a lot of martial arts: the jab, straight , hook and uppercut. The jab and straight can be found in almost every MA there is but only boxing delievers it to its highest level. There are ton of strategies for boxing and sub styles to work with.

Tae Kwon Do: Split into 2 lineage, WKF (olympic) and ITF which is closer to Kickboxing. Both are known for their great kicks but WKF is losing quality each day bc its olympic.

Kickboxing: Kicks and Punches to the Head, Body and depending on the ruleset, legs. Similar to Boxing its strength lies in its simplicity.

Karate: MA with rich history and multiple styles - semi realistically trained nowadays, Karate strength lies in its Kihon (basics) and concepts of fighting (Distance managment for example). Also has good kicking techniques that were the basis for TKD kicks. Each style of Karate has its own quirks (Goju-ryu: toughness, Shotokan-footwork and timing, Wado-ryu: minor grappling and joint manipulation etc to name a few)

Kung fu: Umbrella Term for all chinese martial arts. Most Kung fu styles are split into northern and southern, many also suffer very unrealistic fighting concepts/and or applications. To not make this too long some famous styles:

Wing Chun: Main Martial art of Bruce lee before he developed JKD. Has a lot of weird concepts that just dont really work in a fight if they are applied as taught. Often used in Cinema for its flashy appeal.

Shaolin: An umbrella term for different Kung fu forms/styles. Most Shaolin learn acrobatics that they combine with punches, kicks and weapons. The strength of their practioners seems to stem from extreme training routines (do or die kind).
>>
File: p2.jpg (195 KB, 800x800)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>89073
Part 2:
Hung Gar: A more hard style that focuses on attacking the vitals directly. Personally looks to me like a mix of Tiger Kung fu and Karate. Also has a bigger focus on what is considered uncoventional in other styles, like hammer fist, double palm strikes and what not.

Tai Chi: Soft style and an internal style (style that focuses on the development of Ki/energy. Often has positive effects on the mind bc its basically moving meditation). Has some combat applications too but most of it is closer to Pilates nowadays and for eldery people to stay in shape somewhat. There are variations for it that are more centered around fighting like Tai Chi Chuan but even these are focusing more on the "soft" aspects these days.

Thats just a small part of Kung fu and these are more famous styles i described. It has 1000 of styles and different approaches to fighting.

Muay Thai: Similar to KB in looks and feel, its often considered to be the pinnicale of striking along with boxing bc of its frequent sparring, non nonese techniques and ruleset. MT allows, Punches Kicks, Elbows and Knees to the Head, Body, Leg. Unlike KB it also has a focus on clinching and allows throws to the ground. Its weak point is often considered to be the punches that look a bit less "clean" then Boxing and KB but thats turning into a thing of the past.

Thats the most famous for striking. Next is Grappling:

Judo: One of the martial arts for stand up grappling, it focuses on throws, chokes, locks and pins. Basically all fields of grappling. Sadly it also is kind of getting castrated by being in the olympics. Its also kind of hard to find decent training for it in western europe bc most schools focus on kids training and dont offer adult training.
>>
File: p3.jpg (106 KB, 791x960)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>89076
Part 3:

Wrestling: Important, PRO-WRESTLING is not Wrestling in the traditional sense. It has nothing to do with the two main styles of wrestling.
The two styles being Freestyle that allows all body part to be attacked and Greco Roman that doesnt allow attacks below the waist.
Espically the stand-up grappling part of wrestling is at the summit of the stand up grappling mountain along with Judo.
Wrestling is in my opinion, the martial art for Grappling besides BJJ.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:
BJJ probably the most well known and hyped up MA in modern times thanks to MMA. BJJ main focus is newaza, aka ground grappling. (Anyone who tells you BJJ is more then that is bullshiting himself) Ground grappling is incredibly important in a MMA context and a skilled BJJ guy can break someone bones in under a minute. Good BJJ schools include some basic stand up grappling in their class.

Aikido:
I cant really tell much positive stuff about this one. Aikido focuses on stand up grappling with mostly wrist manipulation but the training in many aikido styles is so unrealistic it mostly falls apart unless you have some expierence in another grappling art. It has a rich history with a controversial founder (controversial in a martial sense, Ueshiba in his later life did shit like stopping attackers with his Ki) and its often considered to be useless in a self defense context. There are some Aikido black belts on YT that swear on it but most of these guys have extensive knowledge in other MAs.
>>
File: p4.png (409 KB, 1075x931)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>89082
Part 4:

Thats the most famous for grappling. Next is hybrid/mixed:

Similar to Kung fu Jiu Jitsu has a ton of styles and Jiu Jitsu is more of an umbrella term with each style focusing on something else like Striking or Grappling but unlike Kung Fu most JJ styles are well, dead. Judo came out of 2 (or was it 3? i forgot) JJ styles that he combined together, its incredibly hard to get a concrecte grasp on Kanos training. Nowadays, there are some Jiu Jitsu styles that survived, most of them often taught under Japanese Jiu Jitsu in the west. In Japan the situation looks a bit better with some styles surviving by doing that one student and one teacher thing that some Kung Fu styles also do. Japanese Jiu Jitsu in the west is mostly grappling specific with few schools training striking.

Hapkido:
Developed from the same parent style as Aikido but the founder added kicks, now dont ask me if these kicks are TKD or Taekkyon specific. I personally consider it the most realistic of the "Aiki" styles. Hapkido focuses on Stand-up grappling like Aikido with a lot of wrist manipulation but it is a lot more acrobatic + like i said, kicks are trained.

Sambo:
Russian judo plus boxing and some kicks. Thats it. In my opinion its probably the best MA you can train for MMA, next to MMA ofc. Sambo is pretty hard to find in the west and outside of Russia but i know people who say its even better then the average MMA class bc its more focused on specific techniques.

Jeet Kune Do:
The style that was developed by Bruce lee, i bet it would look a lot different nowadays if Lee would have lived longer. Some call it a proto-MMA. JKD focuses on a mix of WC and Boxing tactics. I dont know a lot about this style and afaik its often used by self defense gurus.
>>
File: p5.jpg (57 KB, 640x529)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>89084
Part 5:

Krav Maga: Adding this one bc its pretty famous. A self defense system based on Boxing, judo , Wrestling and Karate but most of these orginal influences seem to be long gone from the style. Most of it seems to be replaced by weird scenario drills. You can find a lot of critique on Krav online and styles that market themselves as self defense only are another deep-dive into a can of worms.

MMA:
A style born from contest. MMA exists in its current form probably since the late 80s. It combines striking and grappling into one field of training. Modern MMA is still a young MA that sometimes has trouble to differentiate itself from its competition part. MMA training quality can vary wildly but good MMA is in my opinion the pinnicale of unarmed combat sports training.
>>
>>89086
Taking a break here. If you want to know about weapon focused MAs or a martial art i didnt mention please say so.
>>
>>89087
Damn bro, i didnt realize it would be that much. Thanks for your time!
>>
>>88856
>>88781
>>88828
thanks for the insight.
i returned to that doctor to try to get him to tell me specifically how careful i need to be. he refused any specific criteria for whats okay and what isnt, but he seems to have changed what he said to 'you are slightly more likely' to have detatchment. the only things he specifically mentioneed as being a no no were boxing and mma. ill keep... hoping that i can figure something out. weapon art is an interesting idea
>>
>>89100
Don't be a weaponsfag, just do BJJ. The only impact would be from standing (maybe), which can be avoided if you're really trying to be careful
>>
>>89036
>>89082
Here's an ammendment for Aikido, mostly because I feel the original poster doesn't really understand it and has probably seen too many McDojos.

Aikido is a grappling style that transitions fluidly between standing grappling (with mostly pushes, pulls, trips, disarms, the ocassional throw) and kneeling position where joint locks and chokes are applied to restrain the opponent.

It's founder Ueshiba was a well regarded war veteran who went completely pacifistic in his old age and so developed this system solely for the purpose of defense. The goal is to dodge attacks and escape being grabbed. Arresting techniques only used where necessary, so aren't trained as often.

It's good for getting out of a fight, not so much for winning one though.

Also, Ki just means energy in the physical sense.
>>
File: Shoto4DTilt.gif (3.76 MB, 1170x790)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB GIF
how possible is Mishima Style Karate being actually useful and feasible?
>>
>>89127
You are completely disregarding the fact that Aikido has zero sparring or pressure testing amd many of the techniques fall in the water in many cases. Ueshiba in his later years did demonstrations were he stopped attackers with his ki. Its on Youtube. You are brainwashed if you believe Aikido is a functional martial art on it's own.
>>
>>89130
Mishimas are based on different eras of karate. Heihachi uses plenty of double strikes and headbutts, so I'd place him firmly in the old Okinawan style street fighting karate. Kazuya's the Japanese Kyokushin representative, which is shown especially in his multi-hit combos where he punches and kicks from close range immediately after strikes land. Jin is a kickboxer, he uses boxing combinations with higher percentage snap kicks. I've always really loved Tekken's attention to detail regarding their martial arts and the Mishima's are a perfect example. For your original question, you could do most of what Kazuya does. Even that stupid spin kick is just a modified Hug tornado.
>>
>>89151
>I've always really loved Tekken's attention to detail regarding their martial arts
They've always gotten legit martial artists to help them out. Tatsuya Naka from the JKA did the mo-cap for Lidia who's a point style karateka. Minoru Suzuki did the mo-cap for King.
>>
why do people call jujutsu "jiujitsu", how the hell did the word get like that in the west?
>>
>>89249
It was brought over when Japanese romanisation hadn't yet been standardised. They kept the name to differentiate it
>>
I've just started MMA training. We had a pretty intense sparring session last night and I am fine with that, whoever we have one or two guys that are just going a bit too hard during sparring. Nt sure if it is just with me or with others at the gym too. Should I just let these guys know I would like them to go easier on me when we spar? I don't get what is going on in these guy's heads. One in particular really just goes for it, bit of a weird guy I feel like maybe he feels like he is getting revenge on the "normies".
>>
File: 1632283372218.gif (336 KB, 600x430)
336 KB
336 KB GIF
>>89151
I remember doing mishima swipe kicks from ground to up when I was kid. Namco used real mocap for Tekken 4 or 5 and modified them for in-game fluency. That blew my mind especially seing Hwoarang's sick moves.
Envied Feng the most because he was literally perfect.

I'd love to learn and practice those disciplines because the fun will be %105 and also would actually work for a good routine. Thanks for the explanation and tell me if you know more anon.
>>
>>80777

Just adding to >>80778

That I thought the same but I recently heard in a Muay Thai video that you can actually hit with the foot but only as you aim well at specific areas (head kicks are mostly foot, and body kicks like under the guard of your opponent in the soft parts)
Though if you catch an elbow or knee it will hurt like a motherfucker

For foot kicks I tend to hit with the biggest bone like, not the knuckle part just a bit below what you circled
>>
>>89258
From my experience it's the black belts and most of the browns going easy on newbies, usually just trying to work you and teach at the same time. It's been good with some of the others going full retard on me because it's helped improve my blocking speeds and watch for better openings.
>>
>>89284
I'm just trying not to have a headache after every sparring session.
>>
>>89301
Drink more water and take a few alieve. Just ask them to go easier on you then.
>>
>>89284
i come from a tkd background and shit like this is why I prefer sparring with tkd/karate guys. They actually have control with their head kicks, that's something others have a hard time learning starting late while punching quick but light is way easier
>>
>>89151
Neat, thanks for the breakdown. I know jack shit about karate and figured most of Mishima karate was fantasy. I mean I know ewgf and hellsweep are, but I guess a lot of the other moves are down to earth.
>>
>>89272
It depends on the fighter you'd want to emulate, for example usually just going to a dojo for Kyokushin will teach you Kazuya stuff, kickboxing for Jin, Feng is a special case since he's taking from a lot of different Kung fu styles. Decide whether you like the grappling or striking characters better, then try to find a gym near you that teaches an effective style (Muay Thai / Kickboxing for striking, Wrestling / BJJ / Judo for grappling). Once you do a few years and understand the body mechanics better try taking it to a more specialized gym. I did it for kickboxing -> Kyokushin, there's a lot of silly karate stuff but they also focus on a lot of blind spots kickboxing ignored.
>>
if you can't end a fight in under 30 seconds and/or with 5 hits or kicks max,you're a useless fighter and your sport's multi-round fights are useless
Just break the leg or arm of the opponent(with your trained Iron Shirt )and then go for the kill
>2022
>not having a concrete cylinder as punching bag
>>
File: 1627325782297.jpg (102 KB, 1110x1239)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>89326
thanks a lot. Golden advice
>>
>>89408
Heh, as an Eskrimachad myself I don't understand this feeling.

>unsheathe my knife
>stabbity stab it
>nothing personnel
>>
is it true that in legit krav maga schools,theres no uniform but you practice with the clothes you wear in daily life/IRL?
It makes senses to me,in a real combat situation you'd be using office clothes(belt, formal pants,shoes)etc..
>>
>>89496
Sounds gay, i enjoy the gi because it's thicker and hotter, causing you to train under slightly harder conditions.
>>
>>89326
>not training in based boxing to emulate STeve Fox
ngmi
>>
File: angrykot.png (498 KB, 622x621)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
I just want to say how much I hate Tae Kwon Do. It's just such a colossal pageant where you barely learn anyhting that helps you in a real fight, and I deeply regret spending time in the dojo when I was a kid. Maybe it's just that the school I(my parents) picked was shit but it was still a joke on a fundamental level. A belt didn't mean shit, it was just a participation trophy, a complete and utter joke.

It didn't help that there was almost this cult like atmosphere where you had to bow and recite pledges and do stuff like that.
>>
>>89596
yeah theres a huge push to make martial arts an exercise in building discipline in hyperactive kids whiel making them just as harmless as when they walked in. kind of genius actually. I dont blame ya though it was the same way for me but I always always combat minded and made it work (i still mostly punch people though, it was obvious that having kicks be your main weapon is pants on head retarded) but i guess it works for what it's made for that is dropping your kids off to tire them out so u dont have to deal with them at home
>>
>>89605
I guess.

You know, despite dropping it later I'm glad my parents also signed me up for Ju Jutsu, at the very least it showed me that martial arts could be useful and practical. I didn't enjoy the "discipline" parts of it and I burned out somewhere around green belt but it was far better than Tae Kwan Do. And I still remember some techniques to this day.

Really, my time with Ju Jutsu is the only reason I started to look back into learning a martial art, but this time I'm going to stick with what I like and learn something like Boxing, MMA or MT.
>>
>>89629
I'm actually a bit embarrased about my Ju Jutsu days. I did not put in enough efforts and dodged work despite one of my instructors being this really passionate guy that obviously loved the sport. It's a shame that he had to teach our (mostly) ungrateful lot. He deserved better.
>>
File: 1648501051890.webm (2.74 MB, 480x480)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB WEBM
What would you do in this situation?
>>
>>89677
Pull out my gun.
>>
>>89629
Tkd helped give me some great flexibility that lasted till adulthood without me having to continually stretch, so I can do some nice high kicks and question mark kicks just to show off but I find it hard to make kicking a mainstay in my style cause of how vulnerable it leaves you. Just pick up boxing and transfer over to MMA later
>>
>>89677
pull guard
>>
>>89677
Did the black kiss him?
>>
File: 1647462645025.jpg (67 KB, 540x564)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Hey guys, posting here to get your opinion on this. I used to be really into Judo but haven't had a chance to practice it due to the pandemic. I want to take up a new combat sport for fitness, some self-respect and because I enjoyed it a lot before. However, I have moved cities for a new job which involves shift work and I sadly can't find a Judo gym which accommodates shift work. As a result I am torn between either joining an MMA gym or going back to boxing. I did boxing for a while as a kid and I loved it but I am not sure I'd ever want to compete in it sadly. With that said I loved the actual training side of it and the actual art behind it so I'd be definiitely open to training again. I'm not hugely into MMA as a sport but I appreciate that the grappling the MMA gym I've found may be good for my Judo going forward. The MMA gym seems to offer freestyle, submission and olympic wrestling all times of the week so I'd look to focus on that rather than doing BJJ (which I've also tried and didn't enjoy much sadly).

Anyway I'm trying to decide whether to go for the MMA gym and focus on their grappling or go to a boxing gym. I really need to get into another combat sport as I've missed it a lot during the pandemic.
>>
>>89793
Not sure about your MMA place, but we hit a little of everything. So you could possibly still get your striking, block and weaving, kicking, and grappling training all in one if it's like mine anyways.
>>
File: 1647295584704.jpg (173 KB, 1184x1361)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
What's the etiquette around wearing MA uniforms/fight gear outside of the dojo? Specifically, will other martial artists look at me funny if I wear BJJ shorts in public?
>>
>>89985
No you'll just look like a fag
>>
>>89798
It does a combination of all of them. Apparently it's one of the best MMA gyms in Europe, though I wouldn't know if that's true.
>>
>>89985
Why would you dirty up your training gear in public?
>>
>>89127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8GmPEshx4

When the former Glory featherweight kickboxing champ flat out says that he thinks Aikido is a waste of time, i think Anons perspective is quite right. But for some reason we have a lot of delusioned Aikidofags like you running around here
>>
>>81897
>calls out reddit spacing
>not one instance within the post
Lurk moar faggot
>>
I bought some open handed gloves for mma off amazon but it feels like they are shrinking around the fingers the more i use them, rather than loosening and stretching as they get broken in. Any suggestions or should I just get a better pair?
>>
>>90147
Go back to redd*t faggot
>>
>>90795
You’re retarded
>>
File: c-crossu counta.png (1.5 MB, 3028x304)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>
But that doesn't explain why you should do aikido instead of BJJ or Judo?
>>
>>89127
After researching aikido for most of today (and rewriting a bunch of replies I never sent), I don't think I would even classify it as something to use for any fight, it seems more like a spiritual and philosophical thing, like iado.
There's a youtuber called Hein's Approach to Aikido who has an interesting philosophy for it (he also uses it practically, but I haven't looked into that because I don't think it's what I want anyways).
It does seem like it'd make a good program to teach schoolchildren, that way they're not beating the shit out of eachother or lying about some stupid recited pledge/oath about self defense or something, but they could still learn basic philosophy and structure/culture of martial arts.
>>
Kyoukushin tournament this weekend, my very first, what do you guys recommend for food and drink etc? My coach says to eat a full breakfast because they're long and it'll probably be a while between getting there and my category starting and then my fight, with probably a fair bit of time between my fight anyway. I was thinking I'd bring some high calorie sugary stuff like mars bars or something for between fights, light on the stomach but high in easily digestible energy. There's kids and other weight classes etc so it'll definitely be a whole day affair, any advice from anyone whose competed, karate or non karate etc?
>>89249
Brazilians like being different, they heard it wrong and kept it that way. Also Romanisation techniques for Japanese have changed over the years, but no one can be bothered to change the name of their German Jiujitsu school because that means new trademarks and branding. Imagine how much time and money would be necessary for the Gracie's to rebrand it to Brazilian Jujutsu now.
>>
Reminder that the best defense is avoiding a situation and de-escalating. If you're training solely for the purpose of self-defense: you are LARPing.
>>
any shorinji kempo practicioners in this thread?
>>
>>84307
>Hiroshimoot's brilliant plan, rather than make an /incel/ - Internet Celebrity board and give /asp/ back to its original posters
I think it was because the autospamming there was so bad, rangebanning wouldn't have done anything so they had to nuke the board completely, this is just hearsay though
>>
>>91336
>What to eat
I haven't gone to any to any tourneys, but depending on how many matches you're fighting, id say a full breakfast and maybe pack a cliff bar for extra carbs and eat that about an hour before your first or second match.
>>
is krav maga a meme?
>>
>>91481
Yes. Only reason it gets an ounce of attention is because "muh Israeli special forces use it".
>>
>>89151
Where does the dashwave come from? Wado ryu or uechi ryu?
>>
>>75884
Why is "drunken boxing is legit" said twice?
>>
>>91726
The creator was drunk
>>
How do I enjoy martial arts? I used to love fighting people in school and I joined a muay thai gym hoping it would be like that, but I can't enjoy it and I don't know why. It seems like a really good place. I might have just lost my fighting spirit.
>>
>>89127
The only thing that Aikido offers is tai-sabaki. Most of its standing locks don't work because they don't train resisting like judo, BJJ, sombo, or wrestling does.

In fact, the only Aikido school that sorta resembles actual randori is the Tomiki or Shodokan style. That's because the founder was a student of both Jigoro Kano AND Morihei Ueshiba so he made damned sure that aliveness was in his blend of Kodokan judo and Aikido. However, the current quality of Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido varies since the founder's death in 1979, the standards haven't been kept up. One of the major rifts that Kenji Tomiki had with Ueshiba was over the issue of applying Aikido into a combative sport like Judo.
>>
>>91770
>The only thing that Aikido offers is tai-sabaki.
its tai sabaki is not specially sofisticated. Daito and aikido masters go STRAIGHT to uke, you can see dozens of videos of Ueshiba where he went straight or even not moving at all
irimi/tenkan are educationals tools that let the students learn how connect their bodies and redirect energy
same for yoshinkan and their kihon dosa, they are exercises to build coordination and teach your body.
How many times did you see Shioda moving like that?.
When you master aiki you don't need them anymore
What aiki arts offer are internal work in the japanese budo context the same way neijia arts offer internal work in the chinese martial arts world.

>Most of its standing locks don't work because
Aikido standing locks work well. But you need nullify your opponent first, so that he loses all his energy, kuzushi.
When he is at your mercy is when you can apply a projection, luxation or whatever you want. Tickle him?. It's up to you. It's like a dummy.
>they don't train resisting like judo, BJJ, sombo, or wrestling does.
An interesting bunch of aiki groups do.

>However, the current quality of Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido varies since the founder's death in 1979, the standards haven't been kept up.
Do you know how they work? I've never found a shodokan aikidoka so i can't make statements like yours.
> One of the major rifts that Kenji Tomiki had with Ueshiba was over the issue of applying Aikido into a combative sport like Judo.
Incorrect.
Ueshiba didn't give a flying fuck. He also didn't give a flying fuck if his students mixed aikido with other styles (mochizuki) or they decided focus on other styles (sugino).
Kisshomaru didn't like the sport way but he couldn't nothing since Tomiki was absolutely free to do whatever he wanted with his dojo.
>>
>>91805
>legit thinks Aikido works

Lol
Lmao
>>
I think my knees are too slow and weak to ever be used as a weapon is there anything I can do
>>
>>91902
>hitting with articulations
What a GREAT idea
>>
>>91902
practice the running man dance
>>
can i call myself a nak muay if i’ve been doing it for about a year consistently
>>
>>75654
This scale if martial arts is a joke. Aikido is bullshit and weak. and what would make you think Tai chi is one if the best martial arts? Taekwondo is great but not the best. Shotokan karate is not the best form of karate and overated here. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the best martial art hands down. Greco roman wrestling is decent. Wrestling is good but underrated here. Kyokushin is the best form of karate by far. San shou is shit where's Muay Thai?
>>
>>92086
Follow up of here. Savate isn't that bad, sumo is trash, shuai jiao why? Floppy Chinese judo rip off, what the fuck is defendo?, how is kenpo karate that bad?, vale tudo that doesn't make any sense at all explain OP, you're right about krav maga, why would you even put chess boxing on here? Just regular boxing, sambo is one of the greatest martial arts ever retard? I don't understand goju ryu...
>>
>>75884
What are real martial arts then??
>>
What about lethwei
>>
>>92086
>>92087
It's an obvious joke list, like a lot of the iceberg images.
>>
File: iceberg2.jpg (2.41 MB, 1580x3480)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>92097
Also it's not supposed to be best to worst, but shallow to deep knowledge of a subject. See another example of the meme.
>>
>>89100
Can tell you now, fencing is fun as fuck, and if you don't want to, you don't need to jump and dash around to score points. I did it at uni and my trademark move was basically a more compact version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z4xrs0ypaQ
Which is entirely useless in foil or epée and mostly actively works against you, but fun as fuck to do to tryhards.

But if you're looking for punchy-punchy, I've heard certain kinds of 'brawler' karate don't allow blows to the head, so that's something.
>>
>>79152
>i hate how these are some of the deadliest men on the planet and yet they are insecure and easy to break mentally
Let me guess, by your edge-fu?
>>
>>82579
>some people have been telling me that each race learns how to fight in their body differently.
Real life isn't Avatar the last airbender
>>
>>83592
Only way to be even more based is to blast out Stress by Justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWaWsgBbFsA
You can't tell me you wouldn't shit your pants while listening to this
>>
>>89677
I would never be in such a situation in the first place, as I don't associate with roidmonkey psychos.
>>
>>89677
What the hell happened here?
>>
>>89699
Unironically. People on this board clown on BJJ for self-defense but if you get taken off guard like the white guy did, you would really want some ground game.
>>
>>75654
hey bros, I want to get into a martial art purely for self defense reasons. my options are JiuJitsu, Judo, and Kung Fu. I'm kinda interested in Kung Fu, but does that fall behind in self-defense compared to the others?
>>
>>92294
What school of kung fu? “Kung fu” is not a martial art in and of itself
>>
>>92294
Unless you are in mainland China and are talking about a sanda school, don't do kung fu.
>>
>>89319
>ewgf
if those are your only concerns then get a fucking tekken glove with auto electrocharging on impact.
>>
>>92086
>>92087
filtered, lurk more or never post again
>>
I want to get into martial arts, but I'm not sure what to get into.
My main criterias are: let it be relatively cheap equipment vise and should be something you can practice at home.
So far I'm settling for boxing, because you only need the gloves and a bag, and next to visiting a coach from time to time you van keep on punching said bag at home.
What do you think?
>>
Is Judo or BJJ better to start out with?
>>
>>92603
Cheap and effective? Karate. You can do the "jail house" style exercises for fitness, don't need extra gear and can do kata at home with no additional equipment needed.
>>
>>87236
Probably like 80% at the highest level. Alexander Volkanovski is a good example but THE Belal Muhammed won vs Luque mostly with footwork.
>>
I'm trying to decide between mma or bjj as complete beginner and as a hobby/recreational sport.

I have no idea how mma tranings look like, i guess bit of everything and it depends on the gym? Both gyms are at the same place here they just share the place and both teams are ranked top in national championships. Of course the pro groups, but trainers are the same.

Anyhow, why I'd prefer mma is because i wanna do striking as well and not just grappling and ground game. My worry is tho that mma gets hotheads that just wanna go apeshit and can get hurt while bjj is more chill (tho im aware of all the injuries that can happen there too).

I'm also looking to build stamina an lose some weight so thatsa factor too, been building up strength in the gym for past 6 months after my car crash.

Also bjj is 2 times a week plus 3rd on saturday morning which can be a problem for me to attend so not sure if 2 x a week is ok. They also have open mat sundays.
>>
>>92754
MMA will teach a lot of elements from BJJ. Most people who have been there for more than a minute will not go balls to the wall on you and a lot of times most training places will avoid having white belts training white belts because that tends to be where most problems occur. So i doubt you'll have to worry about a hot head going full retard on you.
>>
>>92811
That's what I thought, I'll go and observe training tomorrow and see if it's what Im looking for, can do the same for bjj i guess
>>
Just had my first boxing class. Is it normal that the warm up takes 60% of the time and the actual training part only takes up about 20 min?
>>
>>94539
What did the warmup consist of? It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes, and the rest of class would be bag drills, mitt work, calisthenics, and such.
Do people at that gym compete? Is the coach a former fighter himself? If not, then you might be at a gym more focused on boxing as cardio rather than combat competency.
>>
File: 1652608464517.png (1.34 MB, 2066x1440)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
This is probably cringe because it's a movie but it's a genuine question, for someone with no /mag/ experience. In this scene, how can Bane punch his mask with a close fist, without breaking is hand?
Is it just pure fiction, or is it actually possible safely?
Reminder his mask is supposed to help him survive a fall, and take punches, survive a hammer smash, so it is presumably very tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ
At 2:45
>>
>>75884
>no Wumei
>no Five Ancestors
>no Xingyi Quan - Metal Branch
>no "Flor de Ciruelo Japones"

shit list

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.