[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 32478403473.jpg (99 KB, 750x423)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Anyone ever tried it?
Looks really fun but is quite expensive, wondering if anyone has had experience.
Not looking to get my licence or anything, just try it out in a tandem jump maybe over somewhere cool :)

Hope this is the right board don't really know where else to post this
>>
Yea I did it about ten years ago. Partly because I was so dissatisfied with life I needed to do something 'exciting'.

Awesome but I felt sick after the parachute deployed. Either adrenaline or motion sickness or both.

Been thinking about doing it again literally before reading this post.
>>
Was doing my AFF course only a few weeks ago, only got to level 5 because the weather fucked me over, got in about 5 jumps over all. Do a tandem lad, its like nothing else you'll ever do in your life, its fucking insane.

I'm going back to the DZ in a few weeks to try and finish my course and get my license, cant wait but I'm not going to lie, I'm still a bit nervous because jumping out of a plane still isn't quite natural to me haha
>>
Skydiving is a blast, its also louder than you would expect. If you have no fear of heights its a weird sensation, the moment you clear the plane you feel like you are falling until you become accustomed to it and then you feel like floating. All in all id suggest doing it at least once in your life if you are looking for an easy adrenaline rush.
>>
Just finished my AFF course in Sydney, Aus. Shits insane. Highly recommend it. Just fairly expensive that's all. Alotta guys/girls live in caravans at the DZ and jump all day living the dream in my eyes. Pic related, it's me.
>>
>>75559
I am an AFF Instructor (teaches you to skydive) and also a Tandem Videographer

Skydiving is one of the coolest things in the world. I recommend everyone try it once in their life. Tandem is the safest way to get into the sport, especially if you think you might be a 'one and done'.

It's hard to describe it, but until you leave the plane, you won't truly know if you like it or not. I've had dudes who did static line jumps in the Army say they loved it, also hated it. I've had dudes who have done two tandems refuse at the door. I've had people scared out of their minds fall in love, do three tandems that day, change their diet to lose 50 pounds, and come back and learn how to skydive. I've had people so excited to go, and when they reach the ground say 'never again'.

It's a chemical process in your brain that takes place after you leave the plane in which your brain doesn't think it's going to live so it dumps the best cocktail of feel good chemicals you can imagine.

I personally fell in love instantly and knew there would be no replacement for me.

If you are worried about safety, go do indoor skydiving - it's the exact same feeling and we use it to train. If I close my eyes, I can't tell if I am in freefall or the wind tunnel.

Feel free to ask any questions.
>>
It’s expensive but if you start coaching your getting your jumps paid for and you can be doing that in a year if you get into the wind tunnel or a tunnel league about 400usd a month and go hard and learn good times useful skills. It’s a good way to meet people but it’s a huge money grab everything is going to cost you.
>>
File: 1609894869118.jpg (100 KB, 1080x1080)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>77513

100% accurate take

Your fortune: Krampus is coming to your house!
>>
>>77675
How much investment to become a skydive chad? From beginner to able to make money
>>
>do static line jump with friends
>this is when you still had to grab the reserve and pull it out, not even a fucking handle
>look round the plane, everybody white as fuck, can't speak
>jump first
>brain closes down entirely, blackness envelops me
>come round
>'1-2-3 check canopy' while it's already open
>beautiful experience floating down and landing, want to go up again but it's too dark
>later realise that if something went wrong I'd be a dead man, never go up again could not be paid to go up
>still remember the 20 years out of date reserve drill anyway

Like this guy >>77513 says, it's very individual, you can't know unless you do it.
>>
>>79518
Your going to need about 300 jumps this includes your aff. It's about 30 per jump now if you have your own gear. A new rig will cost you anywhere from 4500 to 10k
Aff about 3500 give or take. The key is to stay current and get your B license asap so you can go further out without having to get current again. Most coaches I jumped with were good but most shouldn't be coaching. You will know when your ready. Go take a few AFF courses to see if it's for you first fuck the tandom if it's something you think you might want to do.
It's an expensive sport and once you do it everything else will become vanilla unless you get into BASE.
>>
>>77513
Does it pay well?
>>
Just do a tandem. It's less than $300 where I went. Pay the extra to have someone jump with you and film it.
>>
>>80527
If you live in a van at the dz.
>>
>>75559
Nigger it's 200 dollars for a tandem and you're bitching about the price?
>>
>>77030
based i was considering either sydney or brisbane, what company did you do it through?
>>77513
you teaching in Australia i want my lofe to be in the hands of a fellow autist
>>
>>77513
wow, I’ve never went myself but that was the most concise explanation of it that I’ve ever heard. good food for thought. thanks anon
>>
>>80775
Not a van down by the river?
>>
>>75559
Looks like the extreme sport that requires the least amount of talent

No offense
>>
>>75559
Ok
>>
>>75559
Ok
>>
>>75559
>>
>>87067
If only you knew how wrong you were
>>
>>77513
Been edging myself through the ringer of extreme sports and I've found i have an incredible tolerance for fear tackling and just fucking doing it - plus my body just doesn't quit when it needs to. Haven't jumped before, but i woke up last week with a pounding urge to dive and i can't get it out of my head. It seems a lot less involved than I've expected as I look more into it.

If I have basically no fear impulse, is it stupid for my first jump to be a static line solo at low elevation? Is that even possible? I'd trust an AFF homie to strap me in and jetprop jump at 15000', but i can't help but feel that I'd have more fun (and feel more sane) if i ran the control lines.
>Something something i don't feel comfortable if i can't handle it myself

Regardless I'm fucking jumping this summer no doubt
>>
>>87067
That's only true if you do absolutely zero progression in the sport. Swooping a cross braced canopy requires far more skill and precision than landing a student canopy with a wing loading of .78.
>>
>>86952
Thank you very much for that comment man. Chris heard that one. That shit got me.
>>
YOLO

https://64.media.tumblr.com/8b5ea3de9a5cadcf7189689f849374ce/40513707ff1a4685-16/s400x600/7a7685041713ebe8cf71b737fbd335dfb11d346d.gif
>>
>>75559

I'm on the tail end of my A license right now.... It's a lot of fun. Ironically the sport is not that hard to get good at if you just listen to your AFFIs and "practice perfect." With ass burgers I can say the social aspect of skydiving is more difficult than the skydiving itself. It's the same shit with any hobby, you're going to get people who look down on you for being new and it is very cliquey because the same people tend to jump together a lot. If you are autistic or something it will be very difficult for you. Honestly after I finish my course I'm just going to do solos to stay current. I have had perfect jumps this entire course and I still get fun jumpers busting my balls in the plane even if I have an AFFI right next to me on a coach jump. I served and I'm used to your normal ribbing, I'm talking about some faggot in a wingsuit talking to you like you're retarded 2 minutes from green light. Just some warnings for anyone else who is bad with people. The sport is 100% worth it
>>
>>94714
>is it stupid for my first jump to be a static line solo at low elevation
If you sign up for a static line course, that would be exactly what you'd be doing.

>i can't help but feel that I'd have more fun (and feel more sane) if i ran the control lines
It doesn't matter if go through AFF or static line, you will be flying the canopy yourself.
>>
>>80527
Yes and no.

Most people live at the DZ in a trailer they buy for $2-20k with low cost of living.

To do a tandem, most instructors are paid 30-50 dollars a jump, and often get tips of 5-50 bucks. Doing ten tandems a day is an easy way to earn 600+ a day. Often if you also do a handicam (gopro in a special glove you wear) you make an additional 20-40 bucks. This is where skydivers make money, but it requires 500+ jumps and 3 years in the sport at a minimum to go to the course.

Doing AFF Instructing (teaching skydiving) you make about 30-50 a jump as well, sometimes get a tip from a student (usually in the form of beer), but the most AFF jumps I've done in a day was 5, and there is a teaching and debrief portion that takes about an hour a jump. This takes a minimum of 362 jumps (6 hours of freefall) and is one of the harder ratings to get. This also puts the most wear and tear on your body and gear.

Doing outside Video for tandem pays between 35-45 a jump - but you are jumping your own rig and parachute and camera gear. Most videojumps I've done in a day is 14, and I have a second rig (Means I paid about 60 dollars that day in packjobs). I've lost a 700 dollar camera on a video jump when I had to cutaway, and I've been tipped maybe 6 times over 5 years. Most places want you to be a decently good skydiver before even trying, and then you shoot 2-10 spec videos showing you can do it often at your own expense.

Packing parachutes is also lucrative - you get paid by the packjob and during busy times can easily make over 45 dollars an hour. I've seen people make over 1k a day packing - VERY hard on the body, but you don't even need to know how to skydive.
>>
>>100332
I thought I would do the same, until I met friends and stuck around. 2500 jumps later I'm still here.

Wingsuiters can fuck off - and you can tell them I said that.

Honestly, find the group at your DZ that is laid back and likes to drink and just laugh and have a good time.

>>94714
You will have a fear impulse at the door, I promise you that. I started when I was borderline suicidal and it still got me.

Doing static line is a good way to start and usually only offered at smaller DZs

I hope you jumped anon.

>>87067
People spend 20-60 hours in the tunnel at a cost of 600-900 an hour to get decent.
>>
>>84201
No sorry, I'm in America, but I assure you there are aussie retards who will be JUST LIKE ME

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.