[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

I always thought it was similar to sambo (Wrestling/Boxing hybrid with some kicks).
>>
>>72141
It incorporates enough to be effective. Punches, kicks, knees, takedowns, ground fighting and submissions if I remember correctly. With all jack of all trade styles it comes down to the skill of the teacher and the skill of the fighter. You'll see a broad range from garbage to impressive if you look around.
If there was a good Pankration teacher around me I think I'd give it a shot.
>>
>>72141
What's the difference between pankration and MMA?
Looks like a shitty version of MMA
>>
>>72141
Kiddy glove MMA
>>
>>72149
It is basically safe space MMA. No real reason for this format besides being scared of full contact.
>>
>>72150
>He trains MMA without gloves
lmao
>>
>>72150
Retard
>>
>>72141
How does it differs from ancient greek pankration?
>>
>>72474
They don't fight naked or kill each other
>>
>>72147
Oh
>>
>>72141
Bump
>>
>>72476
Gay
>>
File: bfd546fbdcd5.jpg (33 KB, 442x541)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>72141
Talking about hybrid martial arts
What do you guys think about Kudo?
>>
>>75012
Interesting but not many clubs to practice.
>>
>>72141
Idk
>>
>>76315
Based
>>
>>72474
Probably no nut shots allowed
>>
>>72141
its gay shit. you get disqualified for hitting too hard
>>
>>72152
Full contact sparring is fucking retarded unless you're am/pro. The rest of us live in the real world where you can't call off work or get special treatment cause you've been injured during a hobby. Don't believe me if you like, but it happens. You get a sprain and can't perform your duties at work, your boss isn't going to give a shit about how dedicated you are to full contact sparring.
>>
>>72141
Bump
>>
>>72476
in ancient pankraton if you died you were declared the winner because you had so much grit you refused to give up
>>
>>72141
DJs fighting style
>>
>>72476
Cross train in oil wrestling
>>
Bump
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>72141

Modern pankration is a recreation of the ancient Greek art. No idea if legitimate. Probably more a 1970s attempt at MMA that borrows heavily from modern boxing and wrestling I would guess.

I would personally just train boxing and wrestling separately to a higher quality in each, than risk learning shitty boxing and wrestling from a single coach.

Pancrase was a Japanese sports promotion that did shoot wrestling, I.e. pro wrestling for real. And was a legit art that produced some great fighters and directly contributed to modern MMA as well as the UFC. Afaik it's been abandoned in favour on the unified MMA rules.

Pancrase still survives as MMA grappling, notably Eric Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling which adapted submission wrestling techniques to have striking to the body and other pro wrestling moves.
>>
>>77673

If you don't do full contact sparring then you're just doing a fitness class (which is fine, I only spar in my kickboxing classes and use my boxing classes to work on technique & conditioning) or larping.

You're not a fighter or martial artist unless you actually fight even if just full contact sparring, but preferably full contact competition.
>>
In Japan theres an mma promotion called Pancrase that's been around since the sport started. It's still around today. So there's that.
>>
File: wak.png (511 KB, 672x654)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
>>
>>72141
What about Sanda?
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 281x179)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>86976

That's just Chinese kickboxing with some more trapping and throws I believe. Similar to Pankration i.e. stand up striking plus some grappling.

It's definitely legit. But questionable how high the standard in the West is or if it has much point. Like unless you live in China just do Muay Thai or MMA striking which share like 99% of the techniques and are easier to find.
>>
>>87020
Even in China, everyone serious just does MT and K1 rules.
>>
>>72141
Ok
>>
>>72141
Ok
>>
>>83203
>You're not a fighter or martial artist unless you actually fight even if just full contact sparring, but preferably full contact competition.

that's exactly what the other anon was saying bro

>The rest of us live in the real world where you can't call off work or get special treatment cause you've been injured during a hobby.

no one with a full time job and life can or want to be a "martial artist"
>>
>>92337
>>83203
Good thing you faggots aren't the gatekeepers of martial arts because that would disqualify the majority.
>>
>>72476
Sad
>>
>>87020
Kicking boxing/judo hybrid with a few wushu kicks. It's legit. One of the good thinks about it is that it constantly drills you in how to close the distance from striking to wrestling take downs and leg sweeps.
>>87099
Not true.
>>
>>96196
Meant to tag >>86976 you as well for >>96196 since you asked
>>
>>96197
Oh
>>
>>72141
>>72152
>>72149
I guess if you want to go for a greco-roman aesthetic like some people ike the jap aesthetic of Karate I guess...
>>
>>83201
god i fuckin loved pancrase
>>84153
bas is the dutch personification of pepe, change my mind
>>
>>72149
Pankration is an attempt at reconstructing the ancient Greek art of fighting with both strikes and grappling. MMA has no cultural ties and theoretically just worries about using what's best - although realistically it worries about what's best within the competition rules. But regardless the point is to be effective. Pankration wants to be effective but also wants to be faithful to its roots.

It's MMA with a bit of HEMA to it. Sorta like pugilism.
>>
File: bas-rutten.jpg (51 KB, 780x438)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>83201
>>83832
>And here comes the liver shot!
>>
>>75012

Pointless in the West now there is MMA.
>>
>>92341

"Most martial artists in the West are under 16 children at McDojo karate classes in used as cheap childcare for a couple of hours a week."

Great argument you have there faggot. Fighters fight. It's literally in the word. If you don't fight in classes it's just a fitness class. Which as I said is fine, I don't spar in my boxing class and treat it as such, compared with kickboxing and MMA which do have hard sparring.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.