[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 77 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mtbwinch.png (1.19 MB, 630x1062)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
Winch Edition:

Post Bikes
Post Rides
Ask Questions
Receive answers

Threadly question:
What is the worse injury you received from mountain biking?
>>
File: IMG_20210929_142839.jpg (3.43 MB, 3264x2448)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
Bike posting
Built the most reliable/durable bike I could for 2k take to the bike park and also go for long days on the trail, as well as going and dirtjumping, and mtb trials. It has a first generation cane creek helm fork. Dartmoor hornet frame. Formula "The One" brakes, Hope pro 4 hubs laced to Halo SAS rims with Sapim strong spokes and brass nipples. It has Shimano slx cassette and derailure, with deore xt shifter. It has a Hammerschmidt 2x planetary gearbox, and I cheaped out on the tires I have the cheap continental Trail kings 27x 2.2, everything is great besides the tires, they are crap. I get a decent amount of punctures and pinchflats even while running tubeless at 35psi
>>
>>71600
Sam Pilgrim swears by Halo rims. I have BERD spokes on my mtb wheels and these are the strongest and lightest spokes available but I think traditional alloy spokes would be best for a dirt jumper since any shop will know how to work with them
>>
File: IMG_20211010_140737_HDR.jpg (2.12 MB, 3120x4160)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
/xs/, in what shoes do you ride flat pedals?
I fall in love with Five-Ten Freerider. Good pedals and shoes made me twice as confident about hitting narrow trails, jumping in gates and so on.
>>
A guy near me is selling a sick Trek dirt jumper for $1600. I would pick it up but I also just ordered a new car.

>>71678
Five-Ten Trailcross. I used to think mtb shoes were a meme because my trail running shoes work just fine, and they do, but mtb shoes are so much better and they make a real difference.
>>
>>71678
I've always just used skate shoes for biking. Never tried a shoe built specifically for flat pedals. It's probably much better.
>>
>>71678
FiveTen Trailcross LTs

Fucking love them for how light they are, but at this point I've kicked a few rocks and there's almost no protection on the toes so I might swap to freeriders.

If you ride flats, its absolutely worth investing in a solid pair of mtb shoes. The rubber they use is just grip for days and way more confidence inspiring than the shitty pair of skate shoes I used for fucking years to ride.
>>
This sport is too addicting and expensive. Help me quit anons
>>
>>71670
Yeah I would say they are bombproof. They don't go out of true even with strong lateral forces like fucking up an endo, or super big cases. And best of all they don't break the bank. I would eventually want to try some berd spokes, but they are price prohibitive
>>
>>71776
https://youtu.be/apaTlPfnR3A
No you will ride and justify the expense of mtb specific things by saying it will make you ride faster/smoother
>>71678
freeriders, saved my toes many times but this one time(1.5 months ago) I hit the a rock so hard enough to deform a bit the hard shell, it has an edge now. It was extremely painful

How to clean 5 10s though? Will putting them in the washing mashine and dryer kill them?
>>
No wonder he won, he's so fucking fast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h9xsF3f6oY
>>
>>71827
He's on a Canyon Spectral with a Pike Ultimate and a Canyon Strive but the fork switches around from ZEB to LYRIK.
He shreds that Spectral way better than I ever could mine.
>>
>>71776
Here's what I did

I own both my dream bikes. Cost me about $15k for both of them. No expenses spared, both of them are quiver killers. I still want to buy more bikes but I can't afford them anymore.
>>
>>71850
>but the fork switches around from ZEB to LYRIK.
So? Both are good forks for the strive. He's also riding both the 2020 and 2021 models of the bike, it's not surprising that the components would change. Let's hope the next video on Monday is just as good.
>>
>>71827
Raced a local enduro that he was also racing (it was awaba). He was pushing 5 minutes faster than the vast majority of riders. It is scary how much faster he can ride trails people are pushing hard on already.

>>71542
I fractured two ribs and crush fractured two lumbar vertebrae when my handle bars clipped a tree and I was thrown back first into another tree at 30km/h.

>>71901
Having rode a 38 and lyric back to back, there is minimal difference between the old and new enduro forks.
>>
>>71851
>"Quiver killers" (Bet you earnestly think downcountry is a real thing too)
>Have two bikes
Dipshit
>>
>>71901
I'm not criticizing, just pointing out that the hardware changes around in the clips. I wasn't even paying attention to his clothes so I don't know if it was all filmed in the same day

>>71923
Of course I have 2 bikes, I'm not wasting a mountain bike on pavement and gravel
>>
File: IMG_20211009_100845_HDR.jpg (3.11 MB, 3120x4160)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>71814
Haven't washed mine yet. Adidas website has no manual for 5-10s, so I would use the recommendations for their running shoes (washing machine + air dry)
>>
>>72065
>>71814
Warm water and hand scrub then treat them with a foam and water resistance spray. Machine washing shoes and trainers is an easy way to ruin them over time.

Also to answer op >>71542
Torn rotator cuff and bruised ribs, deep thigh bruise too; all from same incident.
>>
Has anyone here had to clean silicon spray from wood flooring? I'm thinking that isopropyl alcohol might do the trick, but what about WD-40 or some other solvent?
>>
>>71542
When will my Iron Horse 7Point5 be collectable?
>>
>>72179
Wednesday afternoon
>>
>>72129
Probably just methylated spirits would do it, but it will wear off after a while anyway.
Why it it a problem, slippery?
>>
>>72180
This Wednesday?
>>
>>72182
Sure, why not
>>
>>72181
Yeah, it's slippery. Not dangerous but very annoying, it also makes some noise when you walk over the area. I tried with a mix of ethanol and isopropanol and it seemed to make it better. Maybe disc brake cleaner will work too?
>>
>>72205
Yeah disk brake cleaner will definitely get rid of it. It will also probably get rid of the floor finish if you are worried about that.
>>
>>72224
Well, the floor is old and it creaks, but on the other hand I'm just a tenant here. Maybe some more alcohol and some powdery substance will do the trick.
>>
>>72066
>>72065
I'm thinking of washing them in the washing mashine with not hot water and dry them with the sun, i just don't want to ruin the washing mashine. And since I live in an apt, I can't wash them
>>
>>72129
windex, don't use brake cleaner on wood or anything finished, ever.
>>
>>72268
That one in particular or just any window cleaner? I'm not American.
>>
>>72269
Any ammonia based window cleaner. Actual floor cleaner works well too.
>>
these are my local trails, only found this vid recently but absolutley creasing that the city council got a world cup racer (among others) to hoon down two of the chunkiest grade5s in the area to promote how accessible MTB is in this city XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXDkOWusYI

(black trails in question are V and TTS on trailforks - wellington, mount victoria)
>>
>>72276
the root garden at 1:20 looks so fun. I hate how cucked mtb is in california. There are so many people using trails here that it's impossible to get hikers and horse riders off them
>>
File: 7590.jpg (481 KB, 3000x1790)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
Sup fellow mountainbike enthousiasts :)
3 months ago I bought a 2011 Stumpy fsr (https://www.specialized.com/nl/nl/stumpjumper-fsr-elite/p/23340/specs) and the cassette needs replacing. I am wanting to get a new rear wheel with 12sp hub for NX setup and was wondering if the NX dub cranks would fit my GXP bottom bracket? Current cranks are "carbon" sram with removable spider? Anyone know if I could use same cranks with single single gear upfront if I get a 32/34t and some spacers? Very new to bike mechanics so all advice is welcome.
>>
>>71542
finally a decent OP pic for this general.
>>
>>72343
I suspect there are some compatibility issues you will encounter. Look into getting a 1x10sp shimano group set, but keep the crabks and change the chain ring to a 1x specific chain ring.
>>
>>72273
Thanks I'll try it.
>>
>>72343
You can keep the cranks, you can most likely use your rear wheel for 9, 10, 11 speed just check your wheel spacing and ECT... If you are getting a new wheel make sure that you get the correct axle size and width
>>
>>72343
Your hub is already 12 speed compatible, you just need to get a 12 speed cassette that fits HG body freehubs, also you will need a cassette tool and a chain whip to remove the old one. If you want to future proof get a new wheel with and XD or Microspline driver body and they get a 12 cassette speed that would fit, with the new cassette you also need a new derailure and shifter
>>
alright fellas, time to clean off the dry lube and switch to wet lube
>>
>>72567
That's what she said
>>
Should I completely ignore my arms and just focus on moving my weight as far back as I can when I'm trying to pop for a front wheel lift for a bunnyhop?

It always goes sideways even when I'm trying to pull as evenly as I can. I don't have this problem when I'm lifting the front wheel straight up along when I'm doing an english bunnyhop.

What motion should I really be thinking of doing?
>>
>>72635
The movement is generated initially with body weight to get the front up. Pulling with your arms will nearly always initiate twist. GMBN have a good vid or two and there's a bunch of other YouTube vids on it.
>>
>>72643
Oh yeah, I've watched a ton of those. I just couldn't really move my body like that for now I guess. I should've just asked about you guys' experiences on what helped you learn the movement
>>
I wish these fall/spring jackets weren't so damn expensive. I'm really tempted to buy one just because of the convenience of the way they're cut and the zippers are more convenient
>>
Is it a bad idea to buy a mountain bike off of FB marketplace?
>>
>>72699
I sold mine there. Make sure to research the model for common problems and join the owners clubs.
>>
>>72697
Just buy a waterproof windbreaker, its all you gonna need.
>>
>>72708
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sportful-supergiara-puffy-short-sleeve-vest-mens
I want something like this, but not $200. I'll be sharing it between my gravel riding and mtb kit so if I'm on my gravel bike, I'll be going much faster and I can wear my arm warmers, and if I'm on the mountain bike, I won't be riding as fast, I'll be sweating more, and I'll have elbow pads on. Specialized also makes a similar short sleeve but it's only waterproof, no insulation. Maybe I don't need the insulation since the coldest it ever gets here is 30F and that is only on a few days out of the year in the early morning. My winter riding is going to be mostly at 40-55F and my windbreaker gilet doesn't cover my biceps which is where I really feel cold. I already have winter gear but it's too hot for the current fall temps
>>
File: 20210213_125531.jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x2268)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>72744
It will be hard to find as fall is in and companies are selling all these fall equipment
Thats why I have a waterproof wind breaker only. And I put on 2 jerseys or 1 jersey and 1 shirt. The wind breaker is enough. The problem are my hands, I already got something like frost bite around this time last year on an afternoon ride.
>>
>>72763
How cold were you riding in? I have some winter Pearl Izumi gloves I used for short commutes in above freezing morning commutes but I've never felt bone chilling cold
>>
>>71678
5 10 Freeriders with Kona wah wah 2 pedals. I eventually want to try some Chromag scarabs
>>
>>72781
I don't remember but the temperature dropped out of nowhere. I climbed 1000m and it was around 5:20, dusk and I felt the cold. It might've been around freezing point. I was using normal gloves and on the descent, my rear brake had problems so I had to return through the road so the wind was extremely painful. A
I've ridden at 5°C a month ago for a race in the morning and the summer gloves, windbreaker and a second shirt was good enough. I bought some winter gloves after that kek
>>
File: IMG_20211026_113720.jpg (180 KB, 2016x1134)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
I'm nervous about tonight, fellas. My friend wants to go do some night riding and we both have high quality lights from Outbound Lighting which are proven to be great at lighting up trails, and they better be because they're expensive. We'll be on wide blue and green trails and this is more like an XC ride but what really has me nervous is the area. This forest is SPOOKY at night. One time I was here at night, an owl swooped across the trail in front of me and but the way its wings and claws were out gave it a humanoid shape so it freaked the fuck out of us. Another time a mountain lion ran across the trail in front of my friend. Another friend of mine was out in this area at night and some animal was howling like a woman, they got the fuck out of there when the sound was getting closer.

Probably nothing is going to happen. The really spooky stuff is when you flash your lights out into the brush and you catch the reflection from the eyes of several deer
>>
File: Nigkilla.jpg (15 KB, 450x450)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>72825
Take this and shoot the coon when you see it
>>
I survived my night ride. Outbound Lighting's Downhill EVO package is expensive at almost $400 but you are getting your money's worth. I could see everything. I highly recommend it for those who don't want to cut their afternoon rides short or want to ride at night to escape summer heat and hordes of walkies
>>
File: 1627097160420.jpg (123 KB, 542x543)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>It's good for keks
https://youtu.be/0z6aY_AsoRM?t=276
Bros, is he one of us?
>>
>>72889
>almost $400
Jesus Christ. I'd homebrew something before paying anything close to that.
>>
>>72932
I didn't want to pay that much either, I knew about these lights already for more than a year but didn't want to pay $365 for some lights. I've used lower quality lights before and even with diffusers, the beams aren't wide or strong enough for these trails. I'm still not happy I paid $365 for them but the quality and performance really do fit the price. I only recommend them if you're going to be riding black trails or really twisty blue trails, otherwise this is overkill
>>
I'm looking for entry level mtb and I can purchase a Roscoe 7 heavily discounted. Initially I wanted a trail bike, however I noticed that some places it's listed as an XC bike due to its geometry while still weighing 14.8kg. Also, there aren't any blue let alone red or black trails where I live. My main goal is actually fitness initially. Does all of this mean the Roscoe would be a bad purchase vs an 11kg XC bike?
>>
>>73104
If you really want a lightweight XC for climbing slopes as fast as possible and climbing every mountain, then the Roscoe is a bad choice. If you just want a hardtail that will climb up slopes and is beefier for descending, then the Roscoe is fine.
>>
>>73104
>My main goal is actually fitness initially.
Buy it unless you are willing to pay much more, in relative terms due to the discount, for a better bike. Out of strong, light and cheap, bikes can only be two at most. Besides it's just a bike to get fit and into the sport, you don't need a lot anyway. You might be able to upgrade it into something lighter later on if you want.
>>
>>72941
you can get the same off alibaba for $20
>>
>>73158
send me the link. It's too late for me to send these back but I can still get backups
>>
>>73104
The Roscoe will be fine.
>>
>>72896
Seth could be one of us or an old wow head / someone who picked up kek from reddit somewhere down the line
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B87u8mjHECk
This is my usual park. I don't shred there this hard.
Where do you guys usually ride?
>>
>>73466
Got damn that looks fun.
I live in FL so I don't have anything like that. Went to the Chuck Lennon trails today. There's some really fun stuff there. Some of the harder trails were marked "TTF"...what the fuck does that mean?
>>
>>73498
You have Alafia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsujcd43-70
I wish we had parks like this in California, it's all big climbs and big descents here. There isn't much rolling up and down
>>
File: 1629724777574.jpg (58 KB, 875x1024)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>73466
https://youtu.be/ZxqaQiq5JKg
I have 3 different mountain ranges around me. +1200m of descent and takes me 40min to reach in a bus.
>>
>>73550
I keep seeing these Michelin tires and I'm tempted to try them out but I still have a fresh set of Maxxis DHR and DHF on my bike. Also these Michelin tires are hard to find in the US, I've only ever seen them on their website
>>
What do you guys think about the Norco fluid HT 1? I've been riding for quite some time now but still stuck on a 2014 cube with v-brakes and on some trails it feels more like surviving than descending. I'm a poorfag student so don't have the budget for some of the better hardtails that I like a lot and this fluid is the only option available in my local stores that I can afford. Do you think it would manage blue and black trails well, I've read that you can raise the fork to 130mm travel with adjusting some pins. It doesn't have as progressive geo but it would still be a big upgrade I think so should I save up more for quite some time or buy it?
>>
>>73575
You can get a Canyon Grand Canyon or Canyon Stoic for less money and comparable or better specs. The Stoic would be much better down the trails. If you don't know how to work on bikes and have no desire to do your own work, then the Norco might be a better buy since the LBS should put you on the priority to service it and if you're a student, you may not have the space or money for tools
>>
>>73590
I'm very into working on my bike and the main problem would be some special tools but most of the stuff I could do on my own. Yeah I like the stoic 3 a lot but its 1500$ vs the fluid's 1350$ and the main thing is that the fluid can be financed while the stoic is a one time payment. Also by the reviews the forks are comparable and the fluid has a way better drivetrain(deore vs the sx). Stoic definitely has better frame and geo and its also sold out atleast until spring.
>>
>>73563
Michelin tires are nice, like very nice. I liked the dh22 more than the assguyand dhf. I have the dh22 as a front, the rear tire is a dhr2 which is pretty much close to die. I'll put a dh34 bike park so I can have the hard compound that lasts. I think the magic mary ultrasoft compound may be similar to it. But the sideknobs of the dh22 are more spaced out and not angled.
>>
>>73603
Then $1350 is a good price for the Norco, a quick search showed it at $1700 for me.

>>73605
Have you used the Wild Enduros or the Force AM2s? Michelin tires are nowhere near as popular as WTB and Maxxis are in the US so there aren't many people to ask for their opinions on how they behave on the trails here. I met one guy here who had the Wild Enduros on his bike but it was his first time using them and all he had to say is they're soft and they're fine.
>>
Crankworx Rotorua is going on now. Here's the speed & style event (downhill race with jumps and tricks) from today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cveBRo-q8Hs
>>
>>73653
you can skip to 41 minutes in. there is a bunch of preamble.
>>
>>73625
>Have you used the Wild Enduros or the Force AM2s?
Not yet, i bought the dh22 as the center knobs looked/are bigger and I really wanted that traction. But the side knobs are really big, mog maxxis. Your only option would be to buy them on europe online and ship them to the US. But if you ride socal terrain or bikepark jump lines often where its rocky, hardpack or dry, you wont get much of the dh22. Its good on rocky terrain but it won't last you alot.
>>
>>73625
Ordered a wild Enduro ebike front tire. It seems the only difference between it and the regular wild Enduro is that it has a harder middle tread compound.
>>
>>73785
But how do the wild enduros handle? I don't know my way around Michelin tires like I do with Maxxis. Michelin has so many different tires and I don't know how they classify them
>>
>>73920
I got them today, I will let you know
>>
File: IMG_20211107_143809.jpg (2.52 MB, 3264x2448)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>73920
Just installed them, they are pretty darn good, they are a looser fit than continental's and specialized tires I have ran before, but they blew up a lot easier than the specialized ones. The loose cornering grip is pretty good, like in loose dirt. In grass it feels like I am velcroed to the ground, the grip on gravel is pretty good. They are pretty confidence inspiring, what I like so far is that they continue to provide grip when they are sliding on loose stuff. I am pretty tired from a riding alot at the AMBC event at Knoxville yesterday. I can't comment on their rolling resistance yet.
>>
>>73990
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear they have a lot grip on loose surfaces because that's all I ride here in NorCal. Those knobs look tall, I wonder if I even have the clearance for them, I had to chop up some old fenders to make a mudguard for my bike because the 2.4" Maxxis DHR I have in the back catches too much debris which would tear up the rear triangle otherwise
>>
Are plus tires a meme? Looking at this bike used and it's running 27.5x3. I'm mostly used to 29x2.4
>>
>>73625
I've got Wild Enduro Front/Rear in 2.4 width. Great tires and the rolling resistance actually pretty decent. Our local shop has them on sale for $50 each
>>
After putting the rear wheel back on the bike the hub makes a different sound. I was struggling a bit to line up the axle with the threads on the drive side, could I have messed up or knocked out of place something like a bearing or a side cap?
>>
>>74020
What kind of trails are you riding with them?
>>
>>74030
It's a mix of steep/loose rocky stuff and smooth singletrack. Not doing downhill shuttles or anything like that
>>
>>74019
On a hardtail they are not, good luck finding tires though, the selection Is much better for 2.4-2.6 inch range
>>
Ameature trail building post.
Building a double black equivalent backyard trail, how do you guys make catch berms in extreme off camber, where the slope of the hill is approaching 40 degrees?
>>
>>74019
Outside of riding on snow and sand they are a meme. Just a bunch of negatives without the benefits.
>>
>>74019
Like >>74173 said. You get a ton of grip but you lose out on speed if that matters to you. They're also more comfortable if that's something you want. If you care about high speed performance then they're not for you.
>>
hey guys
I'm pretty new to mountain biking and I've been riding this Trek for a few months. it's a few years old and I'm looking to upgrade. I was looking into Stumpjumpers but there aren't any in stock nearby. there's a nearby store which is selling new Treks (Marlins and Roscoe), so I was wondering just how much of an upgrade one of those would be. picrel is my current bike and here are the specs (from the guy I bought it from):

19” aluminum frame (made in Taiwan, not China)
26” tires
Rock Shox Torx adjustable air fork
24 speed drivetrain
Brand new 8 speed cassette
Brand new chain
Brand new shifter cables
Shimano SLX rear derailleur
Disc brakes
>>
>>74590
to add, the reason I want to upgrade is because I've been going on some harder trails with jumps. this bike is just very uncomfortable going over rocks and landing jumps, and the handlebars are squeaky
>>
>>74590
yours is alright, and going to be just as capable as the marlins, not so much as the new roscoes with their 65° degree head tube angle. For doing jumps, and many other types of agressive riding, at a budget price point >$1000 your wheels are going to be the weakest. At a budget price point brand does not matter just get the best deal, with good geometry. Check out some direct to consumer brands, canyons hardtail looks pretty cool, but so does the Roscoe.
>>
>>74603
More specifically, look at the canyon stoic 2, if I was to get a budget hardtail it would be it.
>>
>>74604
I second the Canyon Stoic. It's just going to be hard to get one because Canyons sell out fast

Also look for the Marin San Quentin
>>
NNN is turning me into a climbing beast bros. I never expected this
>>
>>74603
>>74604
thanks guys. I'm trying to buy locally and I don't think anyone sells Canyon around here. anyways, there's a specialized shop about 1.5 hrs from me so I'm looking at getting something there. any opinions on the Fuse lineup or would I be better off going for a Stumpjumper? I'm willing to pay up to 4k
>>
>>74619
Canyon is online only, you're never going to find one in stores unless it's a trade-in.
One other thing to keep in mind are the warranties and shop service. Bombing down trails is rough on a frame and so are crashes. With Canyon, you get crash replacement so if you wreck your frame and it is 100% your fault, you can buy a new one at a discount
>>
>>74624
there aren't any Stoics in stock for a year anyways...
>>
>>74632
Yeah, Canyon is excellent value so their stuff sells out fast. For excellent value, I highly recommend:
Canyon
Commencal
Marin
YT
Fezzari
These aren't the only excellent value brands but they're the main ones. Sometimes you can find an excellent deal on leftovers from bad value brands like EVIL and Yeti but I think they are still going to be out of your budget
>>
>>74634
Add vitus to the list of great value brands.
>>
Does anybody have experience with the assegai maxxgrip?
I have a trail HT and still run stock ardents on it, local shop has the assegai on a black friday sale for 30 bucks. Would it be an overkill for trail and light enduro riding now in the winter while its wet? I also have to pedal to the trails for a few miles on pavement and also like to pedal up most of the time and I'm worried about rolling speed and primarily that it will get worn out fast.
>>
I love mountain biking as a sport but I really fucking hate the endurobro culture that is so prevalent right now. How can we fix this?
>>
>>74752
What is Enduro bro culture, the only experience I have had with what I would call an Enduro bro is going on a lap with some guys, who couldn't climb worth a shit, we took 6 breaks on a 200 foot climb, maybe I am an Enduro bro, I just like riding downhill, so I pedal uphill. Or are you talking the guys who go for a beer or smoke some weed before riding?
>>
>>74770
>What is Enduro bro culture
This sort of guy? I don't see a problem, he's just doing what he likes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPnymDALaI
>>
Is there a reasonable alternative to the Vitus Nucleus/Sentier 2021 (want, can't buy) or the Voodoo Bizango 2022 (can buy, don't like the brand)?
UK
>>
File: Cooloakleykot.jpg (72 KB, 624x624)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>74752
Nothing. Seethe and cope, nigger
https://m.pinkbike.com/video/505193/
https://m.pinkbike.com/video/502240/
>>
File: CG.jpg (46 KB, 357x500)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>74752
The sport needs to split in two like surfing, competitive and noncompetitive. Also every fucksack should delete trailforks and stop them making money of trails they didn't build.
The corporate shiestery has gone a bit too far in riding these days.
>Yes mr globocorp sir, please let me pay $70 for a jersey to be a walking billboard for your company

Idk, let it all burn at this point, the "Industry" is a waste of space.
>>
>>74798

we should use trailguide.net instead. Would be laff if someone could rip the trails off trailforks and updload them there.
>>
>>74806
>trailguide.net
Trash.
>>
>>74806
You should use your fucking eyes you devolved welp
>>
File: IMG_20210822_074623.jpg (295 KB, 1134x2016)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
I love my mountain bike
>>
File: 20211008_180951.jpg (3.9 MB, 4032x2268)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
>>74798
>trailforks
Use strava and don't pay. Or simply don't for trailforks
>>74866
Riding in fog is comfy but as you live in california I would say thats not fog, but smog or smoke/ash
>>
File: 2021-11-15 14_01_10.jpg (268 KB, 967x1075)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
What do you guys think of this R.A.D. fitting concept?
All of the mainstream magazines are telling me to go up a size and these fringe guys are telling me to maybe go down one.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=r.a.d.+bike+fit
>>
>>74915
Answering my own question, I've found where the R.A.D. concept comes from (https://www.leelikesbikes.com/#toggle-id-4) and that there's more to it than just recommending smaller bikes.
>>
File: IMG_20210820_095707.jpg (451 KB, 1134x2016)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>74900
It was fog, this was right before the wildfires started this year. I have to starting riding before 8 on weekends at this park so I can get 2-3 trails in before the retarded walkies show up.
> warn walkies I'm coming up on their left
> they move to the left
ok, maybe they only heard "left" and thought they had to move there
> warn group I'm coming up behind them
> they either get on both sides of the trail or get right in the middle of it and make me thread the needle

> bombing down black trail
> call out to walkie
> they're listening to music loudly through over ear headphones and can't hear a thing
>>
Why does sram specify that all their brakes should use organic pads except the codes for DH which need metallic ones? I mean, I can see the reasoning, but is there anything that counterindicates the use of a different kind of pad? What's going to happen if I have organic pads on the front brake for the extra bite and metallic ones on the back for the extra heat tolerance?
>>
>>74938
Heat. I'd wager the caliper can't dissipate it effectively. This leads to brake fade or damaging the piston/seals during heavy braking.
>>
>>74940
So should I stick with the organic pads on both calipers then?
>>
>>74941
I would, but I'm not a gambler.
>>
>>74942
Maybe I could just give it a try and see how much the rear brake fades. If it gets too bad I could just switch back to organic pads.
>>
>>74944
I'd be more worried about cooking the caliper or warping rotors. You understand that metallic pads aren't great performers unless they're warm and being used under severe conditions?
>>
>>74946
>I'd be more worried about cooking the caliper or warping rotors.
Yeah I got that from your post.
>You understand that metallic pads aren't great performers unless they're warm and being used under severe conditions?
Yes, I know that.
>>
>>74947
Well, go ride then and stop waiting around for some confirmation bias.
>>
>>74949
I just wanted the opinion of others, you've actually convinced me to stick to organic pads.
>>
>>74919
Bike fit is 100% about style and usage.
If you're doing 50+ miles in a day, you want to go a little bigger than average. If you're roasting about parks and doing short days, you can go smaller.
I'm willing to lay down money that one of the next bits of cuntery by the Nu-Mtb media that has sprung up in the last few years is going to be obsessing about bike size and producing a bunch of shit calculators.
The reality is there is an average fit that will do most things well for most people, but it really comes down to personal choice.
>>
>>74915
>>74919
Funking moronic. For example, my rad says I should be on a smaller bike despite my bike fitting me perfectly. At best, these guys are kind of right for the wrong reasons. Bike media is pushing longer and slacker bikes because only a generation or two ago bikes were short and steep. Even a lot of bikes produced now are still somewhat short and steep. But we are seeing a change from manufactures where they are moving away from tradition sizing based on height to sizing based feel. Specialised has it with their S1-S5 sizing and Merida has it their extra short- extra long sizing on their new 140s and 160s.

As the other Anon said. Buy the size for the kind of riding you want to do.
>>
>>74941
Unless you are racing downhill, just use organic for better breaking performance
>>
>>74971
Oh look
>>74915
This post is just a bunch of shit riders giving their unqualified opinions.
Youtube is a cancer on the scrotum of riding
>>
>>74941
I would say stick with what the manufacturer recommendeds, but I now know that I don't want to buy a set of sram brakes now
>>
File: IMG_20210808_095931.jpg (699 KB, 2016x1134)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
I highly recommend Hayes Dominion A4 brakes. Easy to bleed, a lot of adjustability, the best modulation, great ergonomics, strong stopping power, I ride the fuck out of my brakes and I still don't experience any brake fade, they look cool, and they work great with resin and metallic, currently using metallic brake pads front and rear. The only downsides are the price($450 for two of them, worth it though) and one piston is lower than the other which makes it so you have to get 1 or 2 washers if using shimano adapters, or you need their adapter if you want to use 203mm rotors on a 180mm min size fork. Works fine with no adapters if you're running a 180mm rotor in the back. I can't imagine using any other brakes on a mountain bike. Heck, the whole reason I was so gung-ho on building my EVIL from the frame up is to save me the effort of taking off whatever Shimano or SRAM brakes come stock and selling them on Pinkbike. I will only build my bikes from the frame up now and it's too damn bad that some of these manufacturers don't sell just their frames, I'd love to get another Canyon or try out a Pivot
>>
>>75011
>but I now know that I don't want to buy a set of sram brakes now
Why?
>>
Very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ICqChQU590
>>
>>75041
They apparently don't have metallic pads, for any brakes below the codes, organic pads are a pain in the ass, as they don't last as long and are not as good when hot. Besides noise their downsides are negligible. They are objectively better at stopping you than organics.
>>
>>74963
>>74971
>>74983
I did some more digging and found this article by someone who actually builds custom mtbs. http://www.peterverdone.com/pvd-rad-refined/ Like you guys he's quite critical of RAD and provides a more sophisticated sizing method. Also his bikes look absolutely sick.
>>
>>75076
Having run Sram Guides and Codes for several years, including Threbo MTB Bike Park, you will not be a good enough rider to overheat the brakes. All going to a different manufacturer of brakes is a different lever feel.
>>
>>75094
That is a lot more involved than the RAD method and seems like it will actually match a rider with the correct geometry.
>>
File: 1635701323793.png (119 KB, 723x677)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>75118
You don't need to be a good rider to overheat them, just drag them and voila. Resin pads just provide a good initial bite but its gone after the start of a proper ride. Metallic pads areway better, bite lasts longer on descents and have better bite during terrible conditions
>>
>>75133
I think intermediate riders tend to be the hardest on their brakes. Good enough to get some speed but not good enough to stop dragging.
>>75118
All of my friends hated theirs. All of them had to bleed them non-stop and still had trouble with them. None of them still run them.
>>
File: IMG_20211116_171100.jpg (143 KB, 2016x1134)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
I hit some singletrack last night, except I didn't have my good lights, I only had my road lights, and I wasn't on my full squish, I was on my gravel bike, and it was pitch black inside the canyon.
I was really spooked in there and I wanted to get out ASAP, but I'm also looking forward to doing it again.

>>75152
I used to have SRAM Guide Ts and I didn't like them either. I replaced them with Hayes Dominion A4 brakes within a month. They also went spongy quickly. My A4s don't ever go spongy and even if they did, the bleeding is so easy on them, I only wish I could mount them on dropbars.
Well, I probably could mount the 2 piston A2 calipers on drop bars and use SRAM hydraulic brifters but then I have to change my derailleurs to SRAM too.
>>
>>75133
Used to set new pads up rubbing so that after the first ride the bite point would be super aggressive. I would literally drag my brakes down the entire descent and there would be no overheating issues.

>>75152
>>75162
Any issues that people have with Sram brakes are literally due to them not correctly setting them up and maintaining them.
>>
>>75118
I'm not talking about overheating the actual brake, I am talking about how at higher temperatures the friction of organics can start to drop off while metallics will stay strong.

metallics work better when hot which is when you are using them. Organics work good cold, which is when you are not using them
>>
File: Giove.jpg (18 KB, 267x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>75094
>Rad only "works" for bikes with flat bars
Jesus fucking christ
Yeah his makes a lot more sense, and reads like it was written by a man who has put his 10,000 in behind a set of bars.
Yeah in terms of yt videos it's more the problem of most mtb advice these days either being given by middle aged youtubers who have been riding for 3-4 years at most, and are basically intermediate riders. Or by mtb media guys of the same ilk who have never ridden the same set up for more than 2 months and have literally never owned a bike long enough to get it 100% dialled to their style, and will follow any marketing trends in the mtb market.
>>
Anyone else really fucking bad at park features? When I see a skinny, I get about 2 feet into it and fall off
>>
took the bike out for the first time in years yesterday for a session of flatground 180s... now my lower back is killing me today because my form is really bad and im too weak.

even though im in agony now i'll be fine, right? maybe i should stick to g-turns to remember what it was like to spin WITH the bike again.
>>
Total novice here: I'm looking to get into buying a mtb but know absolutely nothing about what to avoid etc. Any brands that are known for being no-go besides the obvious walmart crap?
>>
>>75289
There are no absolutely terrible brands, but there are no real good ones either, almost all brands have mediocre frame QA, and the frame is obviously the most important part of the bike. However, since you are a total beginner, this is not so important to you. Even if whatever bike you end up getting is not that good it's not that big of a deal, because you are going to make mistakes and the bike's going to suffer due to those. So find something that physically fits you, doesn't break the bank and is in a good condition if it's used. If you give us more specific information about the kind of terrain around you and what you'd ideally like to do with the bike we can give you more precise advice.
>>
>>75289
The Walmart Viathon branded bikes are actually good. Nothing is really bad and nothing is the best but all of them are of varying value. I recommend staying away from the REI house brand, not because they're bad but because they use a proprietary derailleaur hanger(part that breaks commonly in crashes) and you can't buy extras from them.
This is a good guide to value, also watch part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_xdAi1xVDE
I personally recommend Marin and Canyon, I've owned them before. I currently ride an EVIL which is in the horrible value tier but damn is it really fun and I got a great deal on the frame.
Also don't get a bike with a ton of suspension travel, it'll just make climbing harder and that's 95% of the time you'll spend riding. 120mm-150mm front travel is the sweet spot but you can go for 100-120mm if you're looking at a hardtail(no rear suspension, excellent for beginners and still very capable with experienced riders, climbs great too since you're not losing energy to the suspension compressing every time you pedal)
>>
>>75205
And? Having running organic pads down 10-20 minute long downhill runs, you will be struggling to put enough heat through the brakes (that includes the pads) to affect braking performance.
>>
>>75291
>>75293
Thanks for the info. I live in central Indiana so mostly have flat temperate forest terrain with not much elevation at all. I was mostly intending to go for more cross country style riding with trying to have a fun way to get in shape as more of a priority compared to trying to hit jumps and do downhill rushes.
>>
>>75298
Get a hardtail for sure then, it's cheaper and has less maintenance, also better for learning the basics. And don't go over 120 mm on the fork unless you are willing to travel with your bike, 100 mm will probably be more than enough for you in your local trails.
>>
>>75300
Thanks for the info. I've been watching youtube videos etc, but sometimes its nice to just get an unfiltered opinion from a random stranger. I've only had the pleasure of trying out actually trail riding a few times in the past so gear and all that are way out of my knowledge base.
>>
>>75301
You can ask us about those too if you have questions.
>>
>>75250
Practice with curbs,
skinnies are a weird one, if you watch some videos of people riding them, you'll see them lean the bike off the skinny one way and themselves off the other side, if you feel like you're about to wander off it, do that, the key thing is keeping your center of gravity exactly central.
Other common mistake a lot of people make is going in to them super slow, braking a tiny bit on a skinny is much easier than trying to pedal.
>>
>>75294
Well I have experienced that drop off on my bike, different use case I guess. My brakes were smoking, and the power dropped off. The fluid didn't boil, because the lever feel stayed consistent
>>
>>75250
Like with every single thing you do on your bike, practice will make you better
>>
File: 20211111_160606.jpg (2.28 MB, 4032x2268)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>75201
Not fast then or aggressive enough.
Maintenace for sram brakes is more constant and delicate. Before going out with a girl, she complained about the constant purging she had to do on her guide RSC, monthly. I had been 5 months without a full bleeding on the rear at that point and done >40,000m of vertical without issues. I just did it last week as my pads were on zero and oil came out pitch black. She's going to switch to shimano, soon.
>>75294
You really feel the loss in force. And something important which you don't consider is the performance when its wet. Resin are not porous so water gets trapped and it hydroplanes over the rotor's surface, metallic is porous so water is absorbed and evaporates as the pad and rotor heat up.
And check the color of the rotor, I've seen rotors with its "leg?" purple-blue, if it has it then it has gone up to the 300°C temp area, so its possible to get brake fade
>>
>>75340
>oil came out pitch black
That's terrible, dude. Is that dot3 fluid or mineral oil?
>>
>>75346
Mineral, I use Total lhm plus so thats why you see the greenish color. I couldn't find shimano mineral oil around this time last year so I bought this and it has worked fine with no problems at all.
>>
>>75340
I am probably one of the faster riders in my area and I also do state level Enduro races. While yes Sram brakes require more maintenance, it isn't a monthly bleed. If you have set up and maintain the brakes properly it is once or twice a year and changing pads as needed to maintain the bite point. She is wasting her money switching to shimano lol. It is going to be the same braking performance with an on off lever feel.
>>
>>75340
> Resin are not porous so water gets trapped and it hydroplanes over the rotor's surface, metallic is porous so water is absorbed and evaporates as the pad and rotor heat up.

That doesn't sound right. If metallic pads are a metal then they will not be porous to water. That being said, any water that is on the surface of pads will be evaporated the moment you start braking.

I'm not saying it is impossible to get brake fad. I am saying that unless you have your brakes engaged fully on an entire downhill run, you will never get brake fade in a modern set of brakes.
>>
>>75393
They are not just metal blocks, metallic pads are made from metal particles-powder-fibers pressed together by pressure and heat. Unlike organic which are made of carbon, kevlar rubber, idk exactly, and they are held together by resin, which is why they aren't porous.
You still get the effect.
>>75391
No, shimano is better. Especially with the on/off lever feel.
>gif is my modulation

Also the material of organic pads must have way lower thermal conductivity than a metallic material would. So they get hot and hold it, getting higher temps with more use than metallic pads would. Thus more prone to fading. Get fins on them and SHIMANO ICE TECH. But as the other guys said, modern mid high end brakes would be really hard. For me its metallic, winter is here and it will be snowing in less than a month. I want to announce my presence to everyone with my brakes.
>>
>>75400
And? In modern brakes the effect is negligible. Because any water on the braking surface is isntly evaporate the moment you brake.

Having done back to back runs down a 15 minute descent on sram codes and what ever the equivalent shimano brake is, the only difference is that on off feel which is user preference.

Outside of some specific circumstances, you will not be able to put enough heat into a modern brake system to cause any kind of degradation in performance.

Ice tech rotors look cool but they warp under braking way too easy.
>>
>>75404
And yet, there's a difference between resin pads and metallic in regards to weather. Which is caused by the type of pads and not calliper/brand, not negligible.
And for me, I ride in those situations. 30-40 min nonstop descents are just 40 min away with a bus. Resin pads are a liability. Which make metallic superior. Haven't used ice tech. I'm not a fat fuck, yet
>>
Is this a reasonable approximation of a bike's RAD measurement?

>SQRT((Reach+StemLength-15)^2+(Stack+StemHeight+HandlebarRise)^2)

I had to subtract 15 to make the result fit the example I was working from.

There's a tool for calculating the RAD here
https://madscientistmtb.com/rad-calculator/
but it wants every minute detail about the handlebars.
>>
>>75391
Shimano has better reliability, the on off lever feel is up to preference.
>>
Newer shimano XT brakes don't feel as on/off as they used to feel. The modulation was improved on the shimano XT brakes of the Forbidden Druid this guy let me ride around in the parking lot.

Hayes Dominion A4 brakes still reign supreme. If they didn't exist, I could live with Magura MT7 brakes. If I ever get another mtb with shimano or SRAM brakes, they're getting replaced ASAP
>>
>>75406
An yet that difference is non-existant on modern brake systems. I can guarantee that you would never be able to put enough heat into the brake pads to make the performance of organic pads noticeably degrade.

>>75466
Shimano brakes are still very on/off compared to sram. Having run sram guides and Codes for two years each, I have had zero issues with reliability. Yet to try Magura or Hayes, but I am sceptical of the performance difference. I would rather put the money into an upgrade elsewhere on the bike tnh.
>>
>>75488
>>75466
Should be @ing this anon
>>
File: 1636494138898.jpg (29 KB, 458x458)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>75488
What do you not understand. Pad material perf (resin/metallic)its independent from what brake you are using and makes no sense to compare. There is a difference on pad material and I've felt it. I live in the alps so long steep descents are common and very very accessible(not counting bike parks). And you really notice it when its muddy/raining/snowing. Resin pads just slide over the rotor.
>>
File: ''''''fast'''''.jpg (20 KB, 600x341)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>75201
>>75391
>drags brakes down the entire descent
>probably one of the fater riders in his area
>does state level enduro races
>doesn't win anything
Yeah I'm sure you're super fast
>>
File: IMG_20211117_141630_1.jpg (1.96 MB, 4160x3120)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>75400
Some people like the on/off feel some don't. It doesn't suit all braking styles and I've noticed if people start on one they tend to have trouble adjusting.
>>75404
You're full of shit and/or a kook it's absolutely possible to cook a set of modern brakes. Don't believe the marketing wank.
>>75440
I think it's a mixed bag, I had a set of deores that where faultless but my front saint had this problem with pumping up and the bite point becoming instant, no amount of bleeding would get rid of it. Only brakes I've had that just worked(tm) where hopes but they definitely weren't as powerful. Need to get my hands on a set of direttissimas.
>>75466
People seem to really like the a4's in this thread but outside of that I don't see them mentioned all that often
>>75488
If they get hot enough the organics do have a drop off in performance it's definitely noticeable but the bright side as soon as the return to operating temp they seem fine, same can't be said for sintered where if you cook them enough they seem to permanently become shit and just need throwing away.
>>75495
yes
>>74866
Bikes are great aren't they
>>71600
Looks epic but why are your brakes pointed at the floor?

Bike posting's fun. Here's mine, running double duty at the moment while bike prices are so high and I can't get a hardtail for a decent price.
>>
>>75501
>People seem to really like the a4's in this thread but outside of that I don't see them mentioned all that often
nah, that's just me shilling them. From what I've seen, Hayes has a terrible reputation from making terrible brakes in the past so not many people believe that their Dominion brakes are so good that they are better than SRAM's Code RSC brakes, Hope's V4 and E4 brakes, or anything Shimano and Magura make. I still haven't compared them to my friend's TRP brakes. I met this popular local mtb youtuber at a group ride and he also says that the Hayes Dominion A4s he runs dunk on any other brakes he's ever used. He has even tried to get away from them to try something new but they're never as good.

Back to the on/off discussion, Shimano brakes certainly do feel more "on/off" than SRAM, but they're not very on/off. If you really want on/off, then try Magura MT7s. My friend runs them on 2 of his bikes and they grab instantly and they grab hard. If you don't know what you're getting into, you will instantly go OTB like my cousin almost did on the 2 piston Magura Julies I had on my hybrid bike. I personally like them and I don't mind how instantly they grab because they're very predictable and I know what to expect, I just wouldn't run them over Hayes Dominion A4s because the bleeding process is so much easier and faster on the A4s.
>>
File: IMG_20211121_124838.jpg (2.27 MB, 3264x2448)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
>>75501
Brakes are pointed at the floor because that is where the feel the most comfortable when braking using only my index fingertip. I changed the tires dropper and got a Vittoria tire insert in the rear. I also started using clipless pedals, for fast and chunky riding they are helpful. The insert made a huge difference.
>>
File: oneupalloy.jpg (179 KB, 1200x900)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>75519
>for fast and chunky riding they are helpful
I take it that's because you're on a hardtail. I've never been shaken off my platform pedals on my full suspension mtbs. My pedals also have long studs and I'm wearing five ten trailcross shoes.
I wouldn't feel safe riding clipped in for mtb, my feet come off much more often and I pivot my feet further on mtb than the clipless pedals can go on my gravel bike. I have a friend that uses MagPeds and he swears by them. I can't see myself going clipless for mtb but I'll do MagPeds if I ever find that I need new shoes and new pedals at the same time.
>>
>>75522
I really need bigger pedals. I'm stuck on some 95(L)×98(w)mm pedals but when I look for them, its like 100€ for big not chink ones. I repostion my feet everytime since a little move to one side is enough to feel my foot falling off and/or arching too much. And I want aluminum, I pedal strike everything. But for now, I need to buy another rear tire, mine is kill.
>>
>>75495
What do you not understand? Pads are a part of the braking system, you cannot consider one without the other. Having rode both in the wet, there isn't a difference. Both grab instantly. Are you sure you are not experiencing the tyres loosing traction on wet ground?

>>75497
You set fresh pads up dragging and after two the pads won't be dragging and you will have the most aggressive bite point ever.

>>75501
Considering I done alpine descents where I have had the brake dragging (fresh set of pads and I couldn't be bothered bleeding the system to reset the pistons) it really is impossible to cook a modern brake set.

> if you get them hot enough organics do have a drop off in performance

Here is the thing, in a modern endure DH tier brake set you are going to struggle to put enough, consistent heat into it to cause brake fade. You will probably he able to do it with XC brakes and small/shit rotors.
>>
>>75522
I used to have a full sus and never had a problem with flats. When I got the hardtail keeping my feet on the bike through rock gardens became difficult even with 510 freeriders. Clipless is definitely scarier than riding flats and not confidence inspiring, but not having my feet on my pedals is even more so. Saving up for a full sus frame now, all of my riding would be better if I had a fullsus.
>>
File: 1613101018144.jpg (7 KB, 235x215)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>75525
>you cannot consider one without the other.
Yes you can. For a normal force(applied by the brake on the pads against the rotor) you are going to have a drag force. If you change pads, you will get a different frictional force under the same normal force caused by a different friction coefficient
There is a difference when wet. Resin pads suck there. There's a difference between skidding with a locked tire and the wheel turning no matter how hard I pull the level
>>
>>75524
Try Crankbrothers Stamp Large pedals. I used to use them on my previous mtb and I would have gladly used them again for my current one but I wanted to try something new. A lot of people complain that the center of them is too high and it makes their shoes slip off them, but I don't know where those complaints are coming from, I have never slipped off those pedals and I always had excellent contact with them. They can also be bought for around $40. They're excellent resin pedals and they never broke on me no matter how many pedal strikes I had
>>
>>75524
In my experience alloy pedals are more susceptible to breaking during pedal strikes than nylon
>>
>>75549
Shouldn't that be the opposite?
>>
>>75524
Kona wah wah 2 pedals are pretty much the biggest flat pedal you can find. I like mine, good for landing tricks even if my foot is only half on the pedal
>>
>>75577
I would imagine nylon would deform while alloy cracks
>>
>>75593
>120x118mm
>40$
Nice
>>
>>75606
Aluminium is relatively soft, I guess it depends on the particular alloy.
>>
>>75534
You literally cannot consider one without the other. Different diameter rotors, rotors constructed from different materials, different levers/calipers will offer different degrees of stopping power and heat management, especially in adverse conditions. Having run organic and metallic in pads in the wet on modern braking systems there is no difference in performance.

> There's a difference between skidding with a locked tire and the wheel turning no matter how hard I pull the level

Out of curiosity, what brakes are you running? It sounds like you are running xc/trail brakes when you should be running DH brakes.
>>
>>75534
>>75646
Also what rotors and what size?
FYI I run Code Rs with 220 front and 200 rear centreline rotors.
>>
>>75647
>>75646
Yes you can. If everything else remains constant and you just change pads(rotor for each pad). You WILL notice a difference. We are not talking about shimano, sram, and subvariants but between organic/metallic difference.

Literally the test is to buy 2 pairs of metallic and 2 pairs of resin pads and 1 rotor for each. Do runs in a rainy day and you will feel the resin pads missing bite than on a dry day. Then do 800m of proper( no parkrat A-line shit but fast tech) descent nonstop with resin, then with metallic then with resin. You will notice the difference. You will drag the brakes less with metallic as you are able to stop faster with less force. Also makes it less painful on fingers, reducing deathgrip(although its affected by many more factors it never hurts to have 1 less factor!)
shimano mt520s 200 front 180 back. Will switch to 200mm rear for next season to brake in MoH and DdC.
Ignore under 400m, i was going on the road as hands and legs were kill
>>
>>75659
>>75646
Also this kind of descents. Ignore under 400m asl
>>
>>75659
>>75660
>Like, super scientific, bro.
>>
File: 1620988804311.jpg (37 KB, 512x509)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>75661
>not getting sperg on everything
You'll never get a KOM, ngmi
>>
File: s1200_recumbent_mtb.jpg (187 KB, 675x533)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>75659
>>75660

You cannot consider one without the other. i.e. Codes have a larger braking surface and a greater force applied to the rotor than Levels. As a result they turn the forward motion of the bike into heat quicker. Generating heat quicker means the pads and rotors will heat up quicker and thus evaporate any water on the surface quicker. Comparing Guides and Codes. The braking performance between the two is marginal on the flat with the Codes being slightly better. But once you hit any kind of steep downhill the Codes just curb stomp the Guides with their ability to actually pull you up and control your speed.

> shimano mt520s 200 front 180 rear.
Why are you complaining about downhill braking performance when you are running a trail brakes? Having used those brakes in the past and will not pull up/control your speed when riding any meaningful downhill, especially if it is prolonged. Also, MT520s typically come paired with the worst rotors that should be tossed for a set of centrelines the day you buy the bike. What specific types of rotors have you done your "experimenting with"?

I can tell by the brakes that you run, the fact that you hands/arms are getting sore, and the buzz words you are spouting that you really haven't played around with different brakes, different rotors, and different pad compounds. Your bike came stock with some cheap 4-pots and rotors and as expected it has poor downhill performance. You are now looking for reasons why your cheap brakes and rotors are performing like cheap brakes and rotors but are not prepared to accept it is because they are cheap.

If you are serious about your downhill riding upgrade your rotors to 220/200 Centrelines and get yourself a set of Codes or whatever Sram's new downhill brake set is when they release it.

Pic related. It is you.
>>
>>75671
Woah. Kom on, bro.
>>
>>75679
It's hilarious you can't quite seem to grasp what the anon is saying. That or this is some of the best bait I've ever seen on this site. Either way, based bro.
>>
File: 1609775025742.png (989 KB, 1079x1097)
989 KB
989 KB PNG
>>75679
>Comparing Guides and Codes.
And who said we are comparing the normal force of brakes? Stop trying to deviate the subject.
You even agree with my point, X brake will apply Y of Force on the pads, and as you learned in HS, the frictional force is proportional to the normal force. So you may have shit mechanical brakes(same rotor and pads) applying Y force on the pads. You will have the same frictional force as X brake(or saints, codes, mt7s, xts etc) has.
>inb4 muhh lever pull codes is higher than tektro's mech brakes
Yes, and I agree, X brake will be able to apply way more normal force than the mech brakes, thus more frictional force. But guess what? We are not comparing the ability of certain brakes to do a normal force but THE FRICTIONAL FORCE DONE BY RESIN/METALLIC PADS UNDER --->Y<--- NORMAL FORCE.
Thus, you can isolate pads performance no matter the brakes you run, rotors you run etc
Ofc I know, I have the limitations of them but as I was curious between resin/metallic and I know the only thing changing in the equation is pads, I got myself resin and metallic pads. First tested with resin then metallic and stayed with metallic. I'll be getting to the Zees and 200mm rear, no sram.
By your logic brakes shouldn't squeal more in rain than dry bc its evaporates quick. But you will reply
>it doesn't get out so fast
What happens to it then? It stays on the pads/rotos. But what happens if its stays on the pads/rotor, frictional force is reduced and it makes the breakes squeal

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237477217_Analysis_of_Wear_in_Organic_and_Sintered_Friction_Materials_Used_in_Small_Wind_Energy_Converters

This will help you on resin/metallic

Where do you ride/are from?
>>
File: pyramid-refutation.jpg (48 KB, 604x459)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>75679
do realize that we are comparing metallic vs organic brake pad material?
Because that is what this discussion is about. We are not talking about brake calipers/brands/rotors. We are talking about weather organic or metallic brake pad material is better. You have failed to provide even one point that argues why one type is superior over the other. You don't win an argument by insulting a person, and using assumptions as fact to ridicule their intelligence. If want to prove that organics are better, then give a reason why they are. Don't insult the person you are arguing with.

>Pic related
higher up is a better refutation
>>
>>75684
I can anon's point is stupid.

>>75703
Way to miss my point. I am saying the difference between organic and metallic is meaningless when you consider the advancements and implementations of modern MTB brakes. Differences in brakes will have a bigger impact on performance than what pad compound you are running.

>>75686
Thanks for agreeing with my point that better brakes/rotors will give you better braking performance.

That article you linked was irrelevant BTW.

Staya you cunt
>>
SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT BRAKE PADS AND GO RIDE YOUR BIKE
>>
>>75715
I use two thick slices of salami. When I get to the bottom of the hill I have a perfectly cooked, high protein snack for the ride up. Fresh salami for the ride down.
>>
File: IMG_20211124_153323~2.jpg (1.61 MB, 3264x1284)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>75715
Did ride bike. Went to kannuga bike park for the first Time. Southeast style is BIG. But it was also very intuitive
>>
Anyone have any rides planned for this thanksgiving break? I'm definitely riding on friday, just haven't decided where
>>
File: 1625159743382.webm (643 KB, 588x720)
643 KB
643 KB WEBM
>>75710
>I can anon's point is stupid
You haven't brought a single point besides gorilla jogger blabber and not even on the point

>That article you linked was irrelevant BTW.
It is, you are just a dumb jogger incapable to infer. Also using resin pads because where you ride, there are no long demanding descents nor shitty wet weather so you have a bias
>>
>>75802
I'm b& already until the the 29th. Just scream, they move
>>
>>75794
>calling me a nigger because you have no response to my argument.

The article is discussing the friction and wear of specific braking material, which likely are different to those used in MTB, in a laboratory environment. You cannot infer anything from that to the performance of various MTB braking systems in the real world. The article is akin to me point at a hydraulic press and exclaiming about its braking performance.

During the summer I do a lot of riding in the wet because it is constantly raining and because the dirt becomes super grippy when wet. We also have a lot of mountains and alpine riding.
>>
This market place bike caught my eye a while ago: https:// FB /marketplace/item1512996676578572/
At the time I wasn't interested in spending 2.5k Canadian. I ended up buying a Salsa Rangefinder 29er with dropper for $1400 in the summer off market place. The price was pretty good considering it came with a dropper ready to go (Toronto prices in the summer were crazy). have upgraded the fork on it from a Suntour XC34 to a Rockshox Pike. It doesn't have tubeless tires at the moment and that would be my next upgrade...
I'm thinking could put the XC34 back on and sell it for 1200-1400 and get back my money on the Rockshox Pike locally... then use that money to buy the bike linked above. love the paint job and a lot of the components. The fact it comes with a set of 27.5 wheels seems like a great bonus as well.
Do you guys see any concerns with this bike? l'm going to see it in person Saturday just to takea look...
>>
>>71678
I wear Vans when I ride. The grip on the pedal is great and the flat sole is nice.
>>
File: 2021-11-26 02_19_20.jpg (14 KB, 897x50)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Which of these is the least likely to kill me?
>>
I bought a bike and some safety gear but I'm not sure what my next steps should be.
Should I be riding with a buddy my first time on trails? I don't know anybody locally who shares this hobby, but I also don't want to end up alone in the woods with a broken leg.
Any tips for a newcomer?
>>
>>75848
Use trailforks and lookup your area on YouTube. Get a sense of the area and pick the greenest run and see how it goes.
>>
>>75846
Neither should kill you, the Judy should be nicer
>>
>>75848
it's good to ride with a buddy if you're going to a place with not many people. I only feel comfortable doing sketchy shit by myself at one park and that's because if I go down, someone will find me within the hour
>>
>>75849
Thanks, never heard of trailforks before but it's surprisingly detailed for my area! Doing some research there now.
>>75851
I'm going to try and keep the sketchy shit to a minimum until I build some more confidence. Thanks for the tip though, I'll keep an eye out for how busy the park is when I'm there.
>>
>>75825
>Reads article
>Doesn't understand
>Thinks topic MUST be mtb specific for it to apply to mtb
Thanks for reading the article, but if you don't think critically to use information from objective studies. And have no knowledge of braking systems. It is pointless to argue with somebody who won't accept facts.

Here is a website explaining the difference. Mtb brakes don't get as hot as automobile brakes
>Eg glowing white/orange
But the higher temperature tolerance of metallics are still present in Mtb brakes
https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/blog/brake-pads-whats-the-difference/
https://www.buybrakes.com/help/organic-vs-metallic-brake-pad-longevity/
>>
>>75848
>but I also don't want to end up alone in the woods with a broken leg.
Listen to your fear, but don't let it make choices for you, think of it as a counselor of sorts, one that MAY be wrong sometimes but often will be right. Take baby steps when you encounter things you've never faced before.

Also, some general and important tips, the first two things you need to get dialed in are body position and balance, everything else builds on that. Small differences in tyre pressure can make massive differences in grip, play around with different values.
>>
>>75839
Is this a fair deal in Canuck dollars, yay or nay?

https:// FB /marketplace/item1512996676578572/
>>
>>75851
It's a good idea to ride with a friend. I would say prepare for the event that you break your leg, or get a flat tire...
Pretty much
Get your bike dialed in
Charge cell phone and let someone know where you are going.
With Google location tracking they can track you in real time.
For preventing the broken leg situation. Go riding and advance your skills in a more popular area, making friends comes with this. The more experience you get the better you will get at not getting injured. Learning how to bail is a vital skill.
After you have done the prep go enjoy your ride.
>>
Since we're on the topic of safety, I always carry my survival essentials on me(wallet, phone, keys, water, snacks) and keep my tools on the bike. That way if I end up in a situation where I bail and the bike goes tumbling down a ravine or a cliff, I'm able to get out of there instead of having to go look for the bike. if I lose the bike, well that's why I insure them
>>
>>75872
A first aid minikit fits in a zipper bag or small plastic box and is a great thing to carry if you are going to be riding in an area far away from a hospital.
>>
went to the rockiest place I've ever ridden today. it was rocks on top of rocks
>>
>>75872
I do the same, not out of fear of losing my bike, but because it's more convenient
>>
I hate ebikes so much it's unreal
>>
>>76006
I sure do enjoy it when they fly by, going uphill with zero peddling, and get huffy when I didn't dismount my bike and throw it off the trail fast enough (because uphill has the right-of-way).
>>
>>75861
I did understand it, a lot better than you. It is very easy to go out and cherry pick a single original research articles to support what you are trying to argue. If you are trying to make a sound argument you need to rely on review papers instead. There are three issues with the article you linked:
- The organic and metallic compounds are different to what you would find in typical MTB brake pads.
- It does not compare braking power of the two compounds, let alone in wet conditions.
- It tested the compounds in a different application to MTBs (different use cases require different technical features).

> Here is a website explaining the difference. Mtb brakes don't get as hot as automobile brakes
i.e. a reason why there isn't a meaningful difference between organic and metallic brake pads, thank you for pointing that out. Again, posting articles like that shown that you really haven't experimented with different pad materials/brake systems. You just read it online and took it for gospel.

In case you have forgotten the original arguments was metallic are better than organic. My point was that pad compound is irrelevant when you consider how well modern MTB brakes perform and how they are typically used (periods of short hard braking followed by longer periods without braking that lets the brake system cool down). Even if you are dragging your brakes the entire way down a run you are not going to put enough heat into the system to over heat it. Even wet conditions are irrelevant when it comes to considering which pad compound you should run.

You are still yet to put forward an argument that isn't "I read this online so it must be right".
>>
File: 1635927821519.png (304 KB, 472x470)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
https://m.pinkbike.com/video/372039/
>hitler is literally me
>june 2020
>regional enduro race in local mountain
>only "rode" there 1 time in my entire year in the city
>I just slided through mud since it had been raining for 1 week straight and the afternon was clear somehow
>useless recon run since I didn't ride
>7% percentile in results as I slipped, fell, took 3 wrong turns and overall slow as I didn't knew it compared to locals
>I've been riding there exclusively for the last 4 months
>today the organizers published the regional races
>race will be on the OTHER side of the mountain
>I can no longer ride there since the trails will be new and winter is
Every time I rode, I got PRs on all the tracks with times greater than 10s on tech no matter if it was wet or not. I eveb closed the gap to 1.7 min to the KOM on the gnarliest tech longest(9 min for kom) stage. It was for nothing
>>
File: IMG_20211128_092741.jpg (622 KB, 2016x1134)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
Fun ride today. There were a lot of kids at Joaquin Miller Park today and every time I tried to avoid them, they ended up taking a different route to get to the trail I was going to. Surprisingly, there were barely any walkies on the trails today, they were just on the main trail to take to get to the other trails
>>
Anybody work in a bike shop as a mechanic? How is it?
>>
>>76085
I would like to know as well.
What are the discounts like, or are they just on shitty stuff like the crap in house brand pedals.
>>
>>72684
Maybe take a friend who knows it already and let him watch you. Afterwards, listen to him about all your mistakes.
>>
>>72744
https://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-rain-jacket/products/mens-hiking-waterproof-rain-jacket-rain-cut? this thing is enough for me. One downside is it needs a lot of layers.
>>
Anyone ever put a motor on a bike? I am thinking of slapping one in a cheap jap bike
>>
File: Donald.jpg (96 KB, 500x517)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>36pollici Announces the First Carbon 36er Mountain Bike
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/36pollici-announces-the-first-carbon-36er-mountain-bike.html

Seriously. Pic related.
>>
>>76211
Looking forward to rolling over braking bumps with one of these

They should make a mullet with a 26" in the back
>>
>>76211
How do you ride switchbacks on a 36er?
>>
>>76233
Endos and front wheel hops. I think the standover height of a 36 r is going to make it less than ideal for aggressive riding. I would like to try one. See if it sucks or not.
>>
>>76211
>>76214
Seething manlets spotted, have some more copium in preparation for a future where just being tall will be a massive advantage in the sport.
>>
>>76237
I just want to see what this would look like as a mountain capable penny farthing. Big 36" wheel up front for rolling over rough terrain, small 26" in the back for maneuverability
>>
>>76124
I worked as a mechanic. It´s fine and from start, you get shit jobs but it gets better. The worst thing for me was dealing with know it all customers and also someone who was expecting it midseason to be done in a day and a half for cheap. One time someone paid extra for extra quick repair. He always called us that he can´t pick it up for about a month. The whole time it was taking place in the shop. He wanted money back for that quick repair.
>>
>>76294
Was the majority of your job just changing inner tubes and tightening cables for people who weren't even going to ride their bikes?

Also my friend did that same shit. He was impatient with the carbon repair specialist for taking so long, and then he didn't go pick it up until a month later because he didn't want to make the drive
>>
>>76297
Usually, it´s that. Most people need that. A lot of times you changed chains. Also with that cassettes because people think that having driven for a few years on the same chain is ok. Bleeding brakes wasn´t that common because most people have cable brakes. I didn´t do any srams because my college had more experience with them.
>>
>>76298
Any perks? Like frames, buying parts at cost from manufacturer? Discounts on bike park lift tickets?
I was thinking about doing it as a part time job, so I could save on costs of biking, but I may just get a job that pays better instead.
>>
File: IMG_20200824_084930 (2).jpg (3.15 MB, 6443x3458)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>76352
Even while working there and also after quitting(because of school) I got 20% discount on probably everything. Although I feel like because of working there I am lower in the queue of customers when buying something. While working I also bought some parts from a manufacturer but you had to be there when they were making a big order. In my city there is only one very small bike park (one dual slalom trail) so no discount there. The biggest perk probably for me was that I knew about new bikes that were under embargo(Cannondale habit hardtail is coming probably). And also knew about a special finance deal that allowed me to buy a 2,5k bike for 2k(pic related)
>>
>>76237
>>76290

I work at 99 Bikes (Aussie bike shop) on the shop floor. Talking with the mechanics most of the work is fixing pieces of shit and telling customers that their bike is going to cost money to fix because it is out/not covered by warranty. Customers are generally unappreciative of the work you do. I would imagine it would be better if you were a mechanic for a high end bike shop.

In terms of perks, we get staff pricing where everything is priced at a 5% markup above cost price rather than the typical 50%. We can also get "Pro-deals" on bikes from our main supplier because they are owned by the same parent company. This brings the cost of a bike below cost price by a few hundred dollars. We also get a credit with this supplier. Every $100 of gross profit we generate selling their product we get $1 credit to spend with them. Over the course of a year it is easy to generate a credit of $1000 with them. So using the credit and a Pro-deal you can get yourself a brand new, top of the range bike for like $2000 (AUD).
>>
need a rec for some earbuds- have to crank the volume painfully high to even hear the music over the bike with the current default apple pair
>>
>>76481
Get yourself some aftershoxs. I started using them for cycling 2 years ago and would not change.

They are plenty loud. also bone conduction so you don't have to worry about sweat ears and earbuds. And super stable on your head, so you don't have to worry about them rattling around and off as you ride down the trails.

https://aftershokz.com
>>
>>76488
any problems fitting these on with cycling glasses as well?
>>
>>76493
Not with my Chinese knock off pit vipers.
>>
File deleted.
>>76481
>listening to music while riding
>using earbuds while riding
Isn't the beehive rear hub enough for you?
I like zero noise, just the sound of tire rolling over loam and rocks
https://youtu.be/oa_Uyk1r-Tk
>>
>>76508
He's obviously an overstimulated zoomer who is afraid of being alone with his own thoughts. Many such cases
>>
>>75152
>>75162
anyone have TRP's?
Heard it's like the best of both worlds, uses mineral oil instead of DOT, and are easy to bleed.
>>
>>75606
>>75612
6061 is pretty soft, unless it's a T6 temper
a 7000 series Al is less ductile than a 6000 series
I've gotten tons of pedal strikes on my nylons Chesters with no problem. The only thing I'm worried about is the pedal spindle.
>>
Anybody run a 29+ frame with non-plus tires (29x2.5)? How much am I going to lower the BB?
>>
>>76636
my friend has TRP brakes and he loves them. I don't know anything else aside from that and I haven't used them. They're definitely good performers, he always stops on time and I've never heard them squeal
>>
File: IMG_20211204_104956.jpg (731 KB, 2016x1134)
731 KB
731 KB JPG
I've watched a lot of videos on cornering technique but yesterday it finally clicked. I think Strava changed how one of the trails I ride is tracked because I definitely flew through it the fastest I've ever done it but I didn't even get a top 3 PR on it
>>
>>76817
Awesome cornering, feels the best.
Cool pic by the way.
I find cornering closer to the limit is easier when the conditions are crap, as all of the terrain is equally as slick. Right now all of my local trails are covered in slick leaves
>>
brother works at a professional mountain bike shop and carries mid tier to high end bikes. i grew up doing bmx for fun. im moving to idaho in a few months and need to get a decent mountain bike but i have no idea what to get. i dont end anything fancy my biggest thing is just reliability. i get 50% off anything but also im broke as hell cuz of school so i dont want to spend more than $1,000. and advice or recommendations are appreciated
>>
>>76990
Tell us what brands they're able to get you so we can narrow it down
>>
>>77019
seems like they mainly carry Trek and the other brand are all out of budget
>>
>>77042
order a polygon online
>>
>>77087
Polygon has shit components and geo for its price.

>>77042
Better off grabbing a trek that has thru-axels and at least an air fork.
>>
>>76508
Man I want silent hubs so bad, but I promised myself I wouldn’t spend any more money on mtb for at least a year.
>>
>>77115
I got Industry 9 1/1 hubs because I wanted the high engagement and they are fucking loud. I like the idea of silent hubs but I want the walkies to hear me coming and get out of the way if I forget to use my bell

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.