[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I wish to start my children with BJJ from 6-12, then fencing and horseback archery from 13-18.
I swear I’m only mildly autistic.
What sports will you be teaching your children /xs/?
>>
>>71124
Judo to develop their throwing and footsweep skills, and then wrestling probably.
>>
>>71124
Whatever is cheapest, most, popular, and accessible in the area so probably basketball and football.
>>
File: 5e78829e15e9f92d7d743bd6.jpg (483 KB, 1300x1981)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>71124
In Russia/ex-Soviet countries, it's common for them to put kids into gymnastics until they're around 10-12 before moving them into martial arts. This gives them a base of athleticism, flexibility, and body awareness.When they start learning judo/wrestling/sambo/etc. they can jump right into learning technique without needing to do heavy conditioning like a totally raw prospect.

It makes sense to me. Prodigies aside, most kids aren't developed mentally enough when they're 4-9 years old to understand the nuances of what they're doing. Physically they're also still in that awkward "uhh how do I move my body" phase. It's more efficient to teach them technical stuff after they've hit puberty and their brains/bodies have developed enough to actually comprehend what they're doing.

So for sports my hypothetical kids would do
>gymnastics until they're around 11 or 12
>grappling (probably wrestling through school or judo) until 18
>striking (boxing and/or muay thai) until 18
This should put them in great shape and give them the skills to be able to defend themselves in a confrontation.
>>
I'd need to be able to attract a partner before I even planned anything to do with having children.
>>
>>71156
Yeah no thanks, gymnastics makes you small because to achieve better maneuvers you must be lightweight and underfed.
Fuck that my children will be 6’6”+ for the men and 6’ minimum for the woman.
>>
>>71124
your kids can get herpes from grappling
>>
>>71231
How?
>>
>>71124
You should obviously push your kids into athletic pursuits but they will never go the way you want. My dad wanted me to go into baseball yet boxing was my bread and butter.
>>
>>71124
Early on? Whatever has them using their entire bodies. Climbing, parkour gyms, even capoeira.
If kids are no longer going out into the field and parks, artificial ventures are okay.
>>
>>71124
BJJ for the ground game.
Judo for the stand up grappling.
Muy Thai for the stand up striking.

Kids have to learn not to be afraid to take a punch or go to the ground alike.
>>
>>71494
My nigga.Those little shits have to learn how to take a back bump.
>>
>>71124
Boxing
>>
>>71124
>horseback archery

why though lol
>>
>>71520
Maybe he's a steppenigger or a rednigger.
>>
>>71520
That's Ghenghis Khan's 3 manly arts plus fencing for some reason. Maybe he thinks his kid is going to be a warlord.
>>
>>71248
Are you stupid?
>>
>>71671
Yes I am. So what, do wrestlings become serial boy kissers on the mat or what happens?
>>
>>71675
Herpes spreads by contact with the fluid from the sores. There's even a version commonly called "mat herpes" that remains viable on surfaces (like a wrestling mat) longer than the others. This (alongside other skin diseases) is why it's important to wash mats, do skin checks, and shower immediately after wrestling.
>>
>>71731
Interesting, can I avoid this with powders and such?
>>
>>71745
There's a lot of snake oil for grappler's skin health. Anti-bacterial soaps are popular in the BJJ sphere but these are actually counter-productive since they eliminate the natural microbiome on your skin, which is kind of like wiping out your immune system before traveling abroad.

Anon above has the right of it. The most important thing is for everyone to shower beforehand and immediately after and the mats should be disinfected thoroughly after each practice. There's a particularly nasty variant of staph that can lead to paralysis that likes to settle into the dank corners of mat space that often goes unwashed, so its really important that your gym cleans the shit out of the floors. Also people need to stay home if they have any active sores. You would think most of this stuff would be common sense but you'd be surprised.
>>
>>71544
>manly arts
>BJJ
pick one

Mongolian wrestling stops when someone hits the ground. Genghis would call you a faggot for rolling on the floor like a BJJ player.
>>
>>71124
>getting your kids choked out repeatedly during critical brain development period
Retard. Judo or actual Jiu-jitsu are obviously better options.
>>
>>71156
the fall of the USSR was a global historic tragedy
>>
>>71767
Genghis is fucking dead I would have triangled his bitch ass anyway, you can enjoy your moral victory of being the one to shove us to the ground but i will be the one that remains conscious
>>
>>71124
I don't think I'll teach them anything. I'll just brag about how much fun I'm having with mountain biking, cycling, and bouldering so they want to do it. I don't want to force them into something just for them to hate it when they get older, I want to trick them into it
>>
>>71809
>you can enjoy your moral victory of being the one to shove us to the ground but i will be the one that remains conscious
you won't be conscious after you're spiked headfirst into the dirt
>>
>>71124
Boxing, wrestling, weapons depending on what's legal at the time. Also track.
>>
>>71520
Archery is fun
>>
File: bjjcuck.webm (1.16 MB, 720x404)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB WEBM
>>71809
>Genghis is fucking dead I would have triangled his bitch ass anyway
>you can enjoy your moral victory of being the one to shove us to the ground but i will be the one that remains conscious
>>
File: mogged.png (2.26 MB, 2560x1440)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB PNG
>>71156
This is pretty interesting but I don't think it always applies.
Khabib is one of the best MMA fighters and he started wrestling YOUNG. Dagestani culture produces some of the best fighters and they compete and fight with each other from a young age. Toddlers can get into street fights or wrestle each other.
>Prodigies aside, most kids aren't developed mentally enough when they're 4-9 years old to understand the nuances of what they're doing.
It's not necessary to have a high level of intelligence if you possess experience. Experience and memory fills the gaps that intelligence cannot.
Bears and lions do wrestling, even as babies. "Roughhousing" is a natural instinct ingrained in many animals, most of which are even stupider than the average 5 year-old.

>>71124
Why fencing? You should start your children on archery and riding earlier as well, getting a headstart would be great for riding and for shooting a bow.
>>71767 >>71816
Mirin.
My kid will slam adults who do BJJ, he will be bokh champion of the village as a 10 year-old.
>>
>>72992
the gay shrimp
>>
>>71520
Well if the demonstrators interrupt my fox hunt, I don't want the police to take my custom-engraved double-barrel as evidence when I call them to clean up the bodies from my property, so the hippies get the bow.
>>
>>71124
Judo long before BJJ. I want them to be accustomed to, and have the understanding of throws and being thrown before they engage in pure newaza.
I'm a judo coach myself so I'll probably teach them.
Maybe olympic weightlifting for conditioning and that awesome mobility under load.
>>
>>71124
Have the people in this thread maybe not considered that taking your kid to do 15 different sports may be a massive drain on your own and the childrens time, and that by doing so many different sports they are unlikely to actually get good at any?
>>
>>71350
This
Even add swimming and soccer for cardio
Even gymnastics is good
When they are teens they can box fence lift whatever
But kids need cardio flexibility and good body strength
>>
>>75464
There is also the very real possibility that your kids won't like any of the stupid shit you're into and will come to resent both you and martial arts if you force them to do it anyway. Many such cases. A classic blunder.
>>
>>71124
As far as "hardcore" pursuits go:
>MMA from 12 to 18
>Lifting from 15
>Driving from 15
>Guns from 16

As far as regular life skills go:
>Cooking from 12
>Fashion from 12
>Music from 13
>Dance from 13
>Business and finances from 17

They don't have to be in AP Calculus or anything, and I'm not going to work them so hard that they don't know what it's like to be a kid, but I'm talking more like 1 or 2 lessons a week just so that they're familiar with the concepts and won't be completely clueless by the time they're 21. If they end up liking it to the point that they want to take it seriously, I'll let them.
>>
>>71809
>Spar with this bjj kid who kept going on about how bjj makes them King Shit of Fuck Hill
>We stand about 3 feet apart from each other
>RIGHT OFF THE BAT I can tell he doesn't know how to take me to the ground
>He just awkwardly stands there waiting for me to make a move
>I give him a tentative leg kick
>Zero fucking response, doesn't even TRY to check it
>Leg kick him again, but harder
>He does that thing where they pretend it doesn't hurt and plants his feet harder, even though it's obvious to anyone with fight experience that he's hurting
>Distract him with jabs to go high, and leg kick him again and again, which he absolutely refuses to check
>He eventually calls for a time out and says "no more leg kicks"
>I think it's bullshit, but he's technically my friend, so I say okay (he's more of an acquaintance, but you get the point)
>We stand 3 feet from each other
>I decide to throw a light combo with my fists because I get the impression he'll turtle up and clinch with me, and I want to give him a chance to at least showcase his grappling skills in front of everyone because I'm actually a pretty nice dude
>He doesn't even turtle up or clinch, he just takes the punches
>They were light punches at 10 percent power, but it's still weird as fuck that he didn't even try to do ANYTHING about it
>Eventually I just decide this is stupid and shoot for the double leg so that he'll finally have a chance to show off his impressive grappling abilities
>He sprawls and we break apart on the floor
>He tries some weird "baseball bat" choke on me or something, but my neck is tucked in so I'm not actually getting choked
>He doesn't realize that it leaves my left hand completely open, and I just pepper his face with light 10% blows
>He taps on my face and says "You would have been choked out by then, but good try, buddy"

What the fuck? If I had ACTUALLY been punching his face as hard as possible, his face would have looked like mashed potatoes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.