[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 86230421.jpg (38 KB, 463x580)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I have done kyokushin and boxing before and excelled at it. Due to the pandemic, training had to stop for a while and I want to this a shot . Im 30 so nothing serious, just improve ny technique and strength. Am I too late?
>>
>>68110
If you're in the US, yep.

Your last chance to learn the sport of wrestling was in high school, and you blew it. The best you can get now is "wrestling for MMA"
>>
>>68110
just do BJJ you;ll learn Judo and wrestling at the same time
>>
>>68116
Unless you live in a dirt town there's definitely still wrestling clubs that take adults lol
>>
>>68119
Those are really not very common and there isn't a culture of adult novices like there is in BJJ and Judo. Most of those dudes wrestled in school and their bread and butter is teaching kids. As an adult you will not have a competitive circuit for people around your skill level and the coaches are frankly not used to teaching adults. You are going to be treated like a dumbass kid because that's how wrestling coaching goes, which will feel very weird unless you're looking for a daddy figure.

I mean if you love wrestling and are coming into it at a bizarrely late age then that's your only option. It's just that BJJ and Judo are way, way better at attracting and retaining adults hobbyists.
>>
>>68119
>still wrestling clubs
The adults those are generally intended for are off-season HS and college guys to sharpen their skills - not to teach 30-y/o's that know nothing the sport of wrestling.
>>
>>68117
OP here
I like how Wrestling teaches you how to move and attack around the opponent while standing compared to bjj where they just defend. Judo is cool but I like the rawness of wrestling better.

>>68123
I live in Northern Europe but thats kinda retarted. GSP comes the same back ground as me and he started late, he is now regarded as the best wrestlers in ufc.
>>
>>68125
>GSP
Like most pro fighters he started training in his teens and his wrestling skills revolve around MMA. Maybe things are different in Europe but here in the good ol USA adults don't learn the sport of wrestling. The only adult wrestlers still active in the sport started in high school.

If you want to get in MMA and learn takedowns and sprawls, that's totally possible. But olympic and collegiate rules wrestling is not aimed at people like you.
>>
>>68125
As we've said, you can learn "wrestling for MMA" - this is distinct and different from the sport of wrestling, whether that's American folkstyle, freestyle, or Greco-Roman

Things might be different in Europe. I've heard that judo is pretty widely practiced and subsidized like other olympic sports. Wrestling might be the same way where they have judo classes one day on the mats and wrestling on another.

However, the American experience with wrestling is like judo in Japan or Korea, where it's something you mostly do in school.
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (4 KB, 256x197)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>68117
No you won't, you'll learn BJJ.

The pedagogy, strategy, and sport-specific intricacies are different from BJJ. Sure, you might learn how to do double leg or an osoto gari, but that won't make you a good wrestler or good judoka because the context of how those moves are used is just as important as the technique.
>>
>>68117
You are so retarded it hurts. BJJ fags are delusional. The butt scoot and pulling guard are still a thing which shows how bitch made BJJ is.
>>
I want to do the same but im 18,is that a good age to start or still too late? And right now I can't really start due to the situation I'm in but in about a month I can look for a gym and see what happens, is there anything I should be doing to prep myself before I start?
>>
>>70302
>hi I'm barely an adult is it too late for me to start anything
>>
>>70310
He's at a weird age for wrestling desu. Adult clubs are rare and are still generally expecting that you've wrestling before, not walking in as a total novice. Obviously it's too late for high school and college wrestling programs don't take total newbies. Not to be discouraging but it's genuinely hard to get started in the sport of wrestling if you didn't grow up doing it. Luckily you can do Judo or BJJ as an adult and there's nothing weird or difficult about it.
>>
>>70314
>college wrestling programs don't take total newbies
Junior colleges are more open to people with less experience being able to practice, at least in my experience with the local ones in my area. While he'd be more likely to find a no-gi BJJ place, he's still young enough that it's worth a shot to try.
>>
>>70314
>college wrestling programs don't take total newbies
LOL, wrestling is dying. They're taking anybody who wants to commit to the training.
>>
>>68166
those people are trying to attack the legs and love newaza, a lot of other people train standing
>>
>>68148
big whoop
>>
>>70366
Not that I've ever seen or heard of, brother. If you walk up to practice with no experience you'll get turned away. It's one thing if you just kinda suck, but they'd really have to slow class down to accommodate a novice.
>>
>>70378
my reaction when bjj guys say they "train" standup
>>
>>70420
i'd still choke you out
>>
>>70449
you're going to have to take me down first
>>
>>68116
>>68124
correct
>>
>>70461
no, I'm gonna ten finger choke you when you shoot on me dumbass
>>
Unfortunately yes there's no wrestling but hypothetically if you went to a bjj or judo or even mma club you'll find a lot of people who did wrestling in school and maybe they would be down to changing up the rules completely sometimes

Wrestling is weird and not like the other sorts of grappling. There's the pin which is meaningless elsewhere and there is no submitting, but there is pain. Wrestling is a dirty intense sport. You can half ass it if you are actually really good but you'll still get murdered sometimes. Actually being a good wrestler is good but it's not about going to practice and rolling with your buds and having a good time and improving technique. It's about having better cardio, being more explosive, being stronger in general, and making your opponent hurt. And also starving yourself
>>
>>70774
you dont know anything about wrestling huh? riding and tilts and pins apply to MMA, get good at riding and tilting and you are able to ground and pound an opponent. Get good and riding and pinning and learning to readjust your grip to hit submissions, learn how to scramble and funk and you can snuff out people's offensive and defensive scrambles. wrestling's catalogue of techniques is as vast as the other grappling styles and is as meaningful
>>
>>70775
but i can't like choke you or rip your arm off, sounds a little bit like kiddie shit to me
>>
>>70786
you can choke
the refs in wrestling have no idea what chokes are and the most elite wrestlers do choke holds all the time

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUknbZbJVGm/
>>
>>70787
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSAWYs7Qtw
>>
>>70787
In highschool I was in a wrestling match where I shot for a double leg and the guy sprawled on me then started torquing my neck while scooting around me. Like how you would to forcible crack it but repeatedly lol. It got stuck looking to the left for like a week.
>>
>>70766
>shoot
>>
>>70909
we'll never tie up like that lol I would choke you to death till you tapped
>>
>grown men in tight lycra shooting on each other
>>
>>71007
getting stuck in turtle and stack happens a lot in BJJ scrambles, most BJJ players dont know what a gut wrench is but teach a wrestler to stack pass and how to truck and you can get hit with gut wrenches left and right without risk of some choke. Hell most wrestlers instinctly hit back takes because of how their rules for the sport play out
>>
>>71096
thank you i'm going to gut wrench everyone now wrestle bro, when you graduate college you should go try jiu jitsu
>>
>>71121
Not that anon, but as a judo guy, the gut wrench is a useful turnover for my sport.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.