[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Soft wheels and good feels
>>
What do you guys think of Arbor? I've been looking into getting another board and they seem decent. I just don't want to fall for any marketing bullshit. I want a decent ride for a fair price.
>>
File: chS2rN4cmq7FWrzCCl4n.jpg (59 KB, 720x536)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>67477
Watch out for Hook and the Daggers!
>>
File: img_9916.jpg (20 KB, 700x467)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Got a new deck on the way. Have not decided on trucks.

>>67480

A full custom is going to come out to at least a couple hundred dollars in most cases. I don't mind paying more for interesting/useful deck characteristics or even just nice art from arbor/loaded/etc

If raw value is your primary concern here, maybe check out "buildaboard.com"
IDK if it is actually any good but the reviews for Ehler's boards seem to be excellent all around and there are a ton of options. The graphics don't blow me away but there are enough of them that you can probably put together something that you like - or just go blank.
>>
>>67515
I'll definitely check it out, thanks.
>>
Anybody else noticing everyone seems to be out of slide gloves right now?
>>
>>67515
Nice, what type of riding to you think you'll be doing?
>>
>>67527

long-distance flatland shenanigans. Clocking up some miles already on a drop-through, but hoping the kicktail will help with shitty curbs/transitions
>>
>>67530
Nice, the kicktail will definitely help with that. I'm trying to learn how to Ollie up curbs on my cruiser, so far I'm making progress, but it's still going to be awhile.
>>
Any opinions on Landyachtz? I keep hearing great things about them, but then also hear that they are overhyped.
>>
>>67544
almost makes me wish for longer legs
>>
My slide gloves just got delivered today, spent most of my day outside. It felt so right to me, I was pulling off shit that looked so difficult to me before.
>>
>>67515

Got this thing built and took it out for a five mile cruise through rolling hills. Def a very different ride than my previous drop-through. At 9.75 inches wide with gentle, progressive concave it is super comfy and gives waaaaaaay more direct leverage on the trucks so I'll have to play around with bushings to dial it in.

Seems like one hell of a nice deck for $50.
>>
>>67994
That sounds amazing. I take it the new deck is bamboo/bamboo mixed with maple? I've definitely been thinking about a wider board, mines currently at 8.3 and it still feels tiny for what I'm doing
>>
>>67705
Great boards especially with the new trucks. A little pricey but great value for the dollar. I have a switchblade 40 and drop hammer. The switch is a double drop and super stable and picks up speed with 75mm in heats. The drop hammer is more responsive. But after I got a pantheon pranayama they both have been sitting on the back burner. Check out Muir skate shop they do a good job customizing boards.
>>
>>68003
Here’s a pic of my model but it looks like they have a new graphic.
>>
Any major gotchas to mismatching trucks? I think I want an unraked truck/linear truck up front and a sharply raked truck in back so that I can punch the tail into slides but have it stay dead the rest of the time.

The thing I am worried about is the different axle widths and how that might effect things...
>>
>>68020
Some ldp bracket boards are built like that so you should be fine.
>>
>>67997
>That sounds amazing.

It was a nice afternoon. I went out and hit up a regional park that has a huge variety of trails for everything from mountain to horseback riding to skiing in the winter. The loop I skated was all smooth-sealed asphalt and was a bit like a pump track scaled up to a five mile donut. Three or four hills offering the opportunity to get badly hurt, but if you knew the track and were a lot better than I am you could probably string it all together and just keep going until your legs gave out.
>>
>>68106
Damn I wish I had something like that near me.
>>
>>68155

You probably do. Figure out where people are rollerskiing or cross country skiing and then correlate to strava heatmap and/or trail apps.
>>
https://youtu.be/kOO8jzA9CGU
>>
>>68598
tbqh I don't find that style of riding very interesting to watch. you could do that with anything. motorcycle, bike, wheelchair, rollerblades, unicycle. barely matters. you put your center of gravity in the right spot and shift left/right to turn.

real cruising is more interesting to do but idk if it makes good ""content"" without some innovation
>>
>>68604
Josh Neuman is my favourite downhill longboarder but I get what you mean. At least with a longboard we can see some pretty nice slides though.
>>
Just bought my first longboard (first time on /xs/). What kind of shoes do people wear while longboarding? Maybe something on the cheaper side I guess.
>>
>>68598
>hit a rock
>fucking die

these people are crazy
>>
>>68632
Any skate shoes or low profile sneakers will work. It's less fussy than shoes for doing tricks.
>>
File: 1628037817947.jpg (27 KB, 512x512)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>Loaded discontinued their kanthaka and overland series
>Only arbor hybrid/symmetrical boards available are complete decks with wheels/trucks I don't want that have to be imported from the UK
>Nothing domestically produces or stocks any decks of similar type

I just want a symmetrical 34''> freeride/technical/shredding deck with wheel wells for up to 65mm wheels, is this really such a niche market that it's not viable?
>>
>>69012
https://www.skateshred.com/wholesale-blank-longboard-decks.html

Wheel wells are harder to find but I don't think you would need them for 65mm wheels, especially if you are running freeride bushings in ~44 degree trucks or wedging to something similar. Like you can peel the wheels off the pavement long before you wheelbite?
>>
>>69015
Probably. It's almost as hard to find "high" TKP trucks here so I just have to keep slapping on risers until it feels more unstable than I would like it to. And/or tighten it too much, though I don't have that much experience on the street deck I've just been putting increasing sizes of risers and wheels onto stock Krux trucks. No wheelbite since I've been proactive about it. Have not yet gotten a variety bushing kit to try. I initially got it for bowls but I realised what I really want is an all-terrain freeride deck with double kick-tails that I can travel with. Something between it and my Dervish in size and feel.

I really wish more decks would be made with bamboo, it's such a great material. And more affordable that Loaded...
>>
File: 2021-09-27-7286.png (11 KB, 284x233)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>69015
oof
>>
>>69024

What memestate do you occupy lad?
>>
>>69027
Swedish Caliphate dude
>>
>>67477
trying to learn to cruise so i can explore places easier when i travel. when will pushing get easier? ive gone out like 10 times and every time i feel retarded because i just cant get something as simple as riding to feel smooth.
>>
>>69039

Technique problem, gear problem, or location problem.

Technique; front foot on the front truck bolts. You will shift around between pointing your front foot straight or nearly straight ahead for kicking and sideways for carving/turning

Set your bushings up the way that feels good to you, not the way they came. Barrel/cone stock bushings usually suck imo.

Good cruising isn't something you just do wherever. You need to scout for good routes and do stuff within your skills.
>>
>>69045
i feel like im doing all that stuff. whenever i take my back foot off i don't feel stable enough to do a full foot swing.
and why can't you do it wherever?
>>
>>69046

When you go to kick, compress in to your front foot by bending your knee.

>why can't you do it wherever?

You can, but you will have an easier time cleaning up your basic kicking technique if you don't have anything else to worry about.
>>
>>68979
Did you quote the wrong anon?
>>
>>69046
>>69046
It took me a week to get full powerful swings with my back foot, but that's with having several years of experience as a mongo-pushing teen, over a decade ago. If you don't live in the land of giant empty parking lots you could try to just find a bit of mellow upwards slope. Maybe tighten your trucks if you need and loosen them as you learn.

I cleared a decent area of my patio and would just ride back and forth with the one foot on the board doing kind of one-legged squats to train my stability while bending before going out to the streets to push at speed. Then it's just progressively increasing how far you swing your kicking foot forward to get more momentum into your push. The more forward-pointing and in-line your foot on the board is the more stable it is in respect to your back-and-forth wobble. Obviously don't forget to swing your arms and shoulders around too, it's as much a whole-body counter-balance thing as running, if not more. No matter how long it takes you just clear your mind and keep at it.
>>
>>69062
>doing kind of one-legged squats to train my stability while bending before going out to the streets to push at speed.

This is great advice. You probably don't even need to do a ton of reps - just a few minute a day would be enough to keep you acclimating to the board and progressing.
>>
>less than 100 miles on the dervish-sama
>decide to try some different wheels
>the wheels on the rear axles seem to have a bit too much play, even fully cranked down
>try several different sets of bearings and spacers, same result
>realize the entire rear axle is slightly fucking oval in shape

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Paris Truck Co. and Loaded boards for a $300+ complete that was never inspected by anyone. Classy!
>>
Anon who asked shoes recs here. It's impressive how everyone focuses so much on gear on 4chan rather than in other aspects of whatever people are talking about. It happens on /g/, on /mu/, it kinda happens on /p/. Really interesting phenomenon.
>>
>>69076

gearfaggery is human nature, but /g/ is probably the lowest utility board on 4chan. possibly anywhere.
>>
>>69046
if you're doing it right, you should feel all the fatigue in your front leg on the thigh area... because your front leg should be bent and your body weight over it. it's gonna be hard at first, no way around it. it can be harder though if your bushings are really soft(loose trucks) for your weight. still possible to overcome even that though. once you are good enough to get about 5 hard longstroke pushes in, I'd say you have gotten it down. everything after that is just athleticism/endurance building.
>>
>>69039
do you have your front foot at the right angle? do you have your shoulders facing forward? if your shoulders are sideways it will fuck you up. your foot should be at a 1-2oclock position just behind(or toes on) the front truck..
>>
File: IMG_14241.jpg (1.38 MB, 3264x2448)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
Anyone else here use a "hybrid" street/cruiser? I just like it. I can roll for so much longer and smoother with minimal effore compared to a normal street setup, yet still ollie over shit. I'm thinking about going up in wheel size even more though after seeing how efficient even a 62mm maintains speed. I'm not afraid to stack riser pads and for some reason the board doesn't even feel as high as you think it would. I almost don't notice the risers and bigger wheels or at least don't think about it. I wonder what some 75+mm wheels would feel like.
>>
>>68974
I use hiking boots...
>>
File: IMG_20210609_045724.jpg (1.67 MB, 4000x1800)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>69108
I used to ride pic related when I was a teen (70mm). Surprisingly nice except for the oversized trucks that would cause me to eat shit when my foot hit the wheels. Also the hard wheels suck for cruising. But hey, what was a poorfag to do?
>>
>>68974
Vans Slip-ons. They always have some colorways on sale for like $30. good grip and flat for skating.
>>
>>69108
Same, but really wishing I could have a 16'>' wheelbase.
>>
anyone do long distance skating? there is a bike path that's really smooth and goes for miles. I have to skate about 2 miles to reach a part that's a nice hill as a reward. lol. it's a good thigh workout that's for sure.
>>
>>69584

I've been doing eight mile sessions on a nice flat trail, but I recently found a 3 mile slight downhill track that switchbacks to follow a creek descending in to a major river basin. There is also a road + sidewalk that bisects it in to a half circle, so I can potentially downhill the switchbacks and then just walk up a much shorter, steepish hill back to the top. You could practically install a tow-rope and sell lift tickets. Pretty pumped to try it, although it is pretty tight and the pavement isn't the best.
>>
I skate about 4 miles every morning(if it;s not wet from rain.) Takes me about 45 minutes if I try to do it fast instead of cruise. I like how bike paths are being built everywhere these days, they're super smooth.
>>
Got some questions about trucks, Paris in particular. Are they always a pain in the ass to put on with risers? I *really* had to wrestle and drill them on and the shop gave me Paris' own pads which seemed to be holed a little shorter apart. I also noticed one wheel axle was shorter than the other--just so the nut will barely go down to the rubber locking ring, with bearings featuring built-in spacers. Apparently the shop missed a bushing on one side too, so I decided to just use the one bushing on the hanger side (in hindsight I should probably put it on the nut side so spin influences the nut less...) Now the nut can just about lock. I wonder if their QA is just like that >>69071

I really wanted to try Caliber IIIR's but they're unobtainable here so far. Any other recommendations for a 9.5'' topmount with double tails?
>>
>>71107

I think we just have to wait for caliber 3s to become generally available
>>
Just bought a tan tien.
Used to ride a dervish in my navy days.
Trying to get stand up slides down again.
>>
>>71150
Kinda wishing I had gotten one instead of a dervish now, or could trade it in. Seems like the smaller size would fit me a lot better since I'm not really feeling the dancing thing.
>>
File: LAOTZUFBCOVER.jpg (167 KB, 1200x628)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>67477
>just bought $100 bones ceramics
>put them on my ancient speed board
>it has to have like 5k miles at this point
>stress cracks on deck
>goes so much faster than before
>previous bearings were not slow, lubricated Bronson G3s with ~500 miles which are now my backups
>mfw i can sprint at like 25+ mph with small wheels
Im literally going to die
>>
>>69947
>4 miles in 45 minutes
Sounds about average pace to me, but my board is really tuned and it does all depend on locale
>>
File: IMG_20211017_162458.jpg (452 KB, 1280x720)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
wish me luck dudes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.