[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: judo.jpg (7 KB, 201x251)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
I recently got interested in Judo but the closest thing in my town is a Jiu Jitsu gym. Should I consider going, I'm more interested in Judo and the only Judo places are like 30 min drives from my place
>>
>>67367
Yes, absolutely. If you are able to do Judo in the future your newaza will be way more advanced than most other Judoka.
>t. Want Sambo, stuck with Jiu Jitsu
>>
>>67368
Thanks for the input, I'll have to check it out this summer after classes, hope I don't get BTFO'd by the vax mandate
>>
>>67367
They cannot slam you if you've thrown yourself first
>>
>>67380
Wise words anon, very good advice
>>
>>67367
I absolutely love judo, but it's basically dead outside CA, TX, and the NE corridor in the US. Unfortunately, it's also the only dedicated standup grappling that recreational athletes can really learn.

BJJ is fun; probably half of judo people in the US also do BJJ. However, it's ground meta is considerably different because there are no pins in jiujitsu and because you won't return to standing if the ref is bored by your groundwork for 10-15 seconds.
>>
>>67368
>want sambo
I have my doubts because it has not helped a number of sports, but I wonder if its olympic path might increase interest in the US.

The US has a lot of gi-grapplers, and the sambo rules allow both leg-grabs and leglocks, which might appeal to BJJers, even the focus is on standup throwing like judo.
>>
Assuming that you have your own car and a driver's licence, is a thirty minute drive really that much of a deal breaker? As soon as lockdown ends I'm going to my local judo dojo and they're about half an hour from where I live.
>>
>>67399
why would ypu want to pin someone, when you smash them into the mat and then submit them? Throw them really hard, smash them with your body, choke them out with their gi
>>
>>67468
Lol, do you even do judo? Twice as many contests are won by yoko-shiho-gatame as juji-gatame, which is the most successful submission. Even then, most submission opportunities come from someone trying to get out of a pin and leaving a lapel or arm open.
>>
>>67367
Both are beautiful sports. But if you want self defense added to it, the answer is clear.
>>
>>67367
BJJ or JJJ for jiu jitsu?
>>
>>67776
JJJ
>>
>>67468
>why would ypu want to pin someone, when you smash them into the mat and then submit them?
Because its easier to get a pin than it is to snatch a submission you dumbass. Why would I risk opening myself up or losing position fighting for a submission when ive already beaten them by virtue of having good positioning.
>>
>>67386
Unless you plan on doing it anywhere other than a mat.
>>
>>67367
You can only give it a go and see how you enjoy it.

I do BJJ. It's fun as a sport, as a self defense it is obviously very limited but invaluable if you also do a stand up striking martial art or go somewhere that incorporates grappling into some MMA shit.

I'd probably say the same about Judo though, learning those take downs would be cool and I can see it being fun, but as a self defense you really need to learn how to use and defend against strikes and close quarter grappling.
>>
>>68112
>close quarter grappling.
Depends on who you train with. If you train from a school with more of a japanese style, you'll probably fight at a longer range. If you learned judo from Russians like I did, you're going to spend a lot of time in close-quarter grappling with bodylocks, over-the-back grips, and general close contact.

I'm not saying that the Russian style is better. If you look at international competition, it Japanese judo is #1, but the expression of the art varies considerably based on who you learn it from.
>>
>>68137
Is Russian style just Sambo or is there more to it?

In general all styles with very big restrictions (i.e no striking) are going to be limited as a pure self defense if they are learned in isolation from anything else.

However they also teach you really awesome stuff. I haven't been in a fight since being a school kid so for me its just a fun physical competitive activity
>>
File: maxresdefault (10).jpg (71 KB, 1280x720)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>67367
Why the fuck would you learn faggy yoga pants pretzel BJJ when you can learn judo, which will not only give you the knowledge needed to keep normies from submitting you but also allow you to slam the motherfucker on the ground and knock him unconscious? Bjj is literally gay, I'm so fucking tired of seeing balding barefoot faggots in their tight yoga pants rolling on the fucking mat and i hate faggot westernized rockabllly meathead mma culture it's tied to.

Judo is based, Fuck bjj and if you defend it youre a faggot.
>>
>>68178
>rockabilly
m8 what
>>
>>68174
Over there, a lot of guys do both and sambists and judoka often train under the same roof. The competitive circuit is kinda a place for guys that couldn't make the national judo squad. The vast breadth of the Soviet Union included a lot of cultures with jacket wrestling styles - notably the Georgians - which influenced their approach to gripping and techniques. I feel like Russians are more flexible about grips, and can throw from a variety of unconventional ones. Even if the staples are the same (ouchi, osoto, seoi nage, uchimata, harai goshi), Russians like to engage at a closer range and break down the posture to set up a throw. They also tend to have good ura-nage/suplex technique.

Judo is interesting because there are a variety of national styles. I think even a layman could tell a Korean from a Japanese based on how they move, fight for grips, and favorite throws.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.