[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

why is Krav Maga considered a meme?
>>
>>67360
Krav maga is THE meme martial art
>>
>>67360
It’s modern day Dim Mak bullshit that preys on people who know nothing about fighting.
>>
>>67360
Original Krav was formed by a guy that trained in both kickboxing and wrestling. Students were the local group of hooligans.
It was repackaged as a radical streetfighting martial art. Then it was repackaged as urban military training.
In each of these steps it became more diluted, having an instructor going ape on people. Cue the same process when they added "thai" kicking, MMA-ish takedowns and BJJ drills.
It is a meme because right now it is either a laughably thin mash of techniques, a "reality-based" series of drills, or garbage-bin MMA.
You could do better finding a JKD school, at least that has some proper kickboxing or FMA thrown in.
>>
>>67378
>Original Krav was formed by a guy that trained in both kickboxing and wrestling.
Didn't he and his buddies get their asses kicked in a bar fight where they outnumbered the goyim lmao
>>
>>67378
I'm pretty skeptical of JKD too. Has a decent fighter ever emerged from it?
>>
On most of the online community it's because the syllabi, pedagogy, and conditioning vary radically between schools without any real quality control or regulation such that the name isn't trustworthy and examples of dubious or dangerous teaching is readily available.

On 4chan and YouTube it's mostly just because it's Israeli and insulting it is a good way to express antisemitism by proxy.
>>
I did krav maga for a few months. Don't get me wrong, as a club, the atmosphere was good; the people were friendly and I liked them. But honestly it seemed more like a boxercise class than a serious means of learning self defence. Instead of practicing certain techniques, or drills until you'd be able to remember and use them instinctively without thinking, we kept jumping from drill-to-drill without really learning anyting especially well. Plus as far as I could tell, even the advanced students weren't sparring, which seemed kind of odd to me consider that it's supposed to prepare you for violence and everyone is always going on about how the street is the most violent place to have an altercation.
I also remember that a while after I'd stopped, I heard that krav maga is actually just a course that the IDF does with recruits to give them a crash course in aggressive behaviour, rather than it being a complex self defence system, which kind of made me question my time there even more.
In all honesty, I wish I'd just spent the time training in something like MMA, BJJ, or muay thai.
>>
>>67403
Not that I know of. These questions always end up with the same answers usually: a combination of muai thay/boxing/kickboxing, (b)jj and judo/sambo/wrestling make for the best fighters. The rest is negligible
>>
>>67418
I see a lot of people saying that Krav Maga doesn’t do sparring, but just last class I saw a orange belt sparring with a green belt. Don’t know about that
>>
>>67447
The place I was at didn't have belts. There was just the head instructor and a few people under him that helped the rest of us train.
>>
>>67451
I think that’s likely the problem. Like >>67408 said there isn’t really trustworthy Krav Maga instructors in the USA.
I don’t exactly know why but Imi’s most prominent students (the Lichestein brothers) both moved to Brazil in the 90s/00s and established schools here, meanwhile in Europe and USA you’re left with a bunch of mcdojos and literal whos that “learned” Krav Maga through some shady course or through the internet with no pedagogy whatsoever, and this ends up fucking up its image even more.
I don’t know if real, old-school Krav Maga as taught by Imi’s students would be considered a meme as much as it is now in general if it weren’t for it all.
>>
>>67459
Actually I don't live in any of those regions, but I'd say your point still stands. The instructor I had said he'd been to Israel a couple of times for something to do with it. I don't know if the instructors are supposed to all follow a certain syllabus and format, or if they're allowed to just do their own thing and still be considered part of some federation, but this is just what the guy did. Now I'm just waiting for lockdown to end so I can start judo and bjj, instead.
>>
>>67360
Because it goes against established martial arts memes.
Since the 90s everyone is about muh aliveness and muh athleticism while attacking anyone that trains differently, flat out ignoring the metric asston of successful athletes that don't follow those memes either (Russia, Cuba etc.).

Military KM is very different from civilian though: Military is mostly fitness and aggression training, civilian is skill training via drills.
>>
>>67447
>I see a lot of people saying that Krav Maga doesn’t do sparring
Lots of successful styles don't do sparring. The obsession with sparring is Anglo-American, other cultures have other methods.
>>
>>67784
Yeah, shitty ones
>>
>>67360
Because it's the most Jewish thing ever. The entire idea of it is solutions to the most ridiculous fictional situations. "Here's what you do if someone is trying to kill you using the masterbation machines the Germans used to kill Jews during the Holocaust."
>>
>>67786
>Muay Thai
>Russian wrestling
>Cuban amateur boxing
>Savate
None of those typically do hard sparring.
>>
>>67810
Muay Thai doesn't do hard sparring because those cab drivers have to make a living out of it. They can't afford to get an injury in the training ring. Even in their actual matches they take it easy for the first couple of rounds so the gamblers can place their bets.
>>
>>67810
Light contact sparring is still sparring. I would even say the very light randori you see in like Cuba and Russia is still training with 'aliveness.' And even then, all your examples do hard sparring every once in a while. Hard sparring constantly is indeed stupid as fuck which is why very few gyms do that.

Styles that do not spar whatsoever all suck ass. If you all do is compliant drills and kata then you have become kung fu and will never win a fight.
>>
>>67817
According to people that have trained there, they go light in kickboxing rounds but will try to take your head off in the boxing rounds. Obviously, they take it easy on tourists too.
>>
>>67817
Doesn't change the fact they don't do hard sparring.

>>67820
Light sparring isn't alive, look at Shotokan. It was always the argument against TMA that they lack balls to the wall full contact sparring.

>>67836
Thais don't spar at all usually. In the majority of gyms, it's endless rounds of heavy bag, mitts and clinching. They only spar in western-influenced gyms because customers expect it.
>>
>>67836
They go light on the kicking shit because they know that your back, hips, and knees are the first to go. That's why you see a lot of retired Thais transition into boxing. They can't kick anymore but they can still swing and take a punch.
>>
>>67846
>Thais don't spar at all usually. In the majority of gyms, it's endless rounds of heavy bag, mitts and clinching. They only spar in western-influenced gyms because customers expect it.
Really? I always just kind of assumed they would.
>>
>>67846
Light sparring is alive because it isn't complaint or static. You're misrepresenting the OG shitflinging that went down on bullshido.
>>
>>67869
They do, but it depends on the gym. A lot of pros don't spend too much time sparring because they fight 2 times a week and their time in the gym needs to be pretty light to not destroy their bodies. But to say that all thais never spar is a sweeping generalization and a bit of a western meme.

Hard sparring happens even at pro gyms. Albeit less often. Western muay thai practicioners tend to be more willing to hard spar because they don't have nearly as much ring time.
>>
>>67895
Make sense, although it also makes me wonder which of the two is more damaging to your body and brain. I've heard of some cases in boxers where they thought that frequent hard sparring led more to CTBI than actual fighting did; although it sounds like a stretch.
>>
>>67908
That is actually the case. The Kronk Gym was notorious for hard sparring and it fucked a lot if their fighters up. One of the guys Tommy Hearns came up with was also a promising prospect but all the hard sparring burned him out. Hearns used to say that he hated sparring that dude because they would always fuck each other up. Funnily his sparring partner thought the same thing.
>>
>>67910
I guess it goes without saying that you'd need to practice moderation with some of your sparring, but I didn't know it'd be that bad.
>>
>>67908
>>67910
>>67912
https://youtu.be/-8mNbCR9ClU?t=208
>>
>>67360
Tons of shitty mcdojo schools where they teach you bad techniques and call it self defense. I got lucky that the place I go to is the best Krav school I have heard of. We do sparring and rolling. Are weapons stuff is based on getting a superior position and fighting from there so you can pressure test it. But our teacher has done Muay Thai, bjj, catch wrestling and judo, so he incorporates that into the system. For example And I have done wrestling, catch wrestling, boxing, and Muay Thai so I know when shits bullshit and when it actually works.
>>
>>67869
I've known people who have gone over to Thailand to train who mention sparring.

However sounds to me the more experienced fighters focus on drills, conditioning and shadow boxing and don't spar very often. I also get the impression they train to actually fight, so I guess onc you are experienced and actually fighting relatively regularly competitively sparring might be less important than if you are simply learning for self defense and not actually a combat athlete
>>
>>68114
I’ve also heard that Thai fighters have an insane number of fights a year like 30 or 40 so when you fight that much you want to ensure you don’t get injured outside of fights.
>>
>>68114
>>68118
Makes sense.
>>
>>67360

Because it's mainly taught by retards and absolute morons the likes of those chi energy masters that drop people with their mind.

The real deal is quite exhausting and straining, and you need to be tough as fuck to practice and you have to do it often.
>>
>>67400
Goyim do tend to get rid of jews after a while, yes.
>>
>>67360
jew jitsu lmao
>>
>>67360
I can’t speak for Krav Maga as a whole, but there was a new guy in my mma gym yesterday that claimed he did km (didn’t say for how long though). Mofo couldn’t even throw a jab right, held his hands up above his temples the entire time and looked at the ground while doing padwork, not ahead. Felt really sorry for him
>>
>>68114
>I've known people who have gone over to Thailand to train who mention sparring.
So they went to touristy places. Again, foreigners expect sparring so the Thais oblige. Normally, they don't do any sparring. At best, you get very light slap sparring.
They go all out in clinching though, which is mainly learning by doing. Weird way of training but that's Asians for you.
>>
>>67908
>although it sounds like a stretch.
Not really. You fight lik, what 6 times a year absolute tops? And how often do you do sparring?
>>
>>67893
>Light sparring is alive because it isn't complaint or static.
Shotokan kumite was always considered non-alive because no hard contact. By your logic, Tai Chi was considered alive because push hands.

>You're misrepresenting the OG shitflinging that went down on bullshido.
I'm not, I was part of that scene. They were really that retarded.
>>
>>68668
Not when you are a poor Thai or a Mexican. You are fighting other Uber drivers as often as you can just to make a living.
>>
>>68669
Bullshido fags were some of the dumbest people I've ever seen in martial arts. I remember a dude that was totally against steroids and tried to bury any fighter that failed a piss test. The dumb fuck was taking supplements that were chink tier oral test pills that were destroying his liver.
>>
>>68669
Push hands is alive. It's just that Tai chi still sucks and most of them don't even push hands.
>>
>>68669
The issue with shotokan kumite isn't light contact it's that it's about ending at first contact.
>>
>>68667
I disagree, they spar. It's just a different type of sparring than a lot of westerners are used to. It's the striking equivalent of flow rolling or proper light randori as kano imagined it. Even Saenchai describes the way he trains as sparring even if he denies that hard sparring is necessary.

My own opinion is I don't see how you get used to real pain and resistance if you don't occasionally hard spar or compete. You need to feel that pressure occasionally. A pro thai fighter maybe not. Not only does he fight all the time anyway but he's used to it by now. That's a different thing from a hobbyist though.
>>
>>68683
Reminder that Bullshido users, when they "throwdown", get their asses kicked by kung fu students who go to schools where they mimic the kyu/dan system with colored sashes.

https://encyclopediadramatica.online/Bullshido.net#Gong_Sau_Faggotry
>>
>>68761
Lol it was hedgehogey or whatever again. He was the only guy willing to throw down it seems. I remember he fought some kid that was literally doing Naruto class in his backyard. Managed to beat him but that wasn't even a school. There was also the no touch ko school yellow bamboo that got dojo stormed. So before bullshido collapsed they were 2/3 on challenging other schools.
>>
File: autismawareness.png (265 KB, 470x500)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>68769
>Hedgehogey
>Hedgehog
>Massive autist
Poetic

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.