[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: shamo.jpg (98 KB, 728x1087)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Next door I have a boxing club and a thai club, what should I choose? Which one is more efficient?

Thai seems more complete to me but I'm naturally not very good with my legs, I don't use them much in combat and I have the impression that with thai it's mainly kicks and punches only for support

Boxing is more natural for me but it seems incomplete and I would never know how to place a good kick or with this

So?
>>
>>67169
a gun, op.
>>
File: shoma.jpg (129 KB, 560x800)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
What should I take to become a beast and feel safe and confident in my ability to defend myself again?

And I live in Western Europe so no I can't buy a gun, or even pepper spray
>>
Both, if not then thai. I know you don't have confidence in using your legs but fact of the matter is you'll have to learn how to anyways. In boxing footwork is everything. The term "muay thai style" is kind of a misnomer because it really depends on who's teaching. Schools in Thailand train differently; some have emphasis on knees in the clinch while others are more kick heavy. Either way you'll learn how to use all 8 limbs and it's really up to you how to utilize your tools. If you want to be more boxing heavy but still use kicks you can subscribe to Dutch kickboxing.
>>
>>67179
>Both, if not then thai
This seems like the easiest solution. Just try them both and see how you go.
>>
>>67171
Boxing
>>
>>67169
Learn grappling first.
>>
>>67226
why
>>
>>67228
It just works. People act like badass expert fighters until someone grabs them, then they act like a fish and don’t know what to do.
>>
>>67231
It's not going to do me much good in the street if there's more than one of them, and even if the guy is alone and knows how to punch I'll eat his fists and his knee before I can grab his legs
>>
>>67169
You will learn to use your legs - go muay thai and branch into boran moves just in case you like fucking people up. Your best training is situational judgement and running the fuck away.
>>
>>67231
This is why Thai works. A good wrestler has the lights go out fast when the elbows start crashing down to the back of his head in the clinch.
>>
>>67262
i do judo and wrestling, ive competed against thai fighters before (my judo teach is good friends with the owner of the muay thai place across the street so we sometimes do cross over shit) and they are a pain in the ass to fight.
>>
>>67262
Which is why strikers typically defend wrestling shots with hail mary elbows/knees, right?

Back in reality, the most commonly practiced defense to offensive wrestling is defensive wrestling like sprawling - which you learn from grappling.
>>
>>67169
>I want to be able to defend myself in the street
First, use your head- stay away from trouble spots, stay away from bad people. Know your surroundings and be alert, and leave when you sense a problem developing. If you stay you get what you deserve. Fighting for fitness or fun is different than fighting for survival. If want to fight in the street to be tough you are an idiot. If trouble starts to try diffuse and get away. You cant lose a fight if there is no fight. If you must defend yourself there are no rules, you must strike first. If you cant have a gun use a knife and slash the eyes, throat, arteries in the arm, leg and get away as fast as possible. If you are not willing to kill the other person to save yourself you are not prepared to save yourself, or you simple are not able to do it. This not mean to be a lame larp post, don't fight if you don't have to. There are plenty of vids of people getting destroyed because they thought they were tough, they were stupid, or they were just unlucky. The best trained killers in the military get killed or seriously injured all the time. Stay away from bad people, bad places, leave the area if you sense trouble. This is the best. Fighting is a last resort.
>>
>>67316
A lot people expect they're going to be able to pull off the clinchwork and knee combos that they see in MMA fights against a wrestler because they've never faced that heat. In reality a good single leg or ankle pick is going to dump you on your ass faster than you throw any strike.

No shortcuts m8s, you gotta grapple to deal with grapplers.
>>
>>67169
Running is extremely more efficient self defense form. If you truly want to be safe on the street I'd go with that.

If you still want to train any sort of sport you always go for the one you think you'll be more consistent at and if you still cannot decide you go for the one with better facility, instructors etc.
>>
>>67169
Depends on a lot of factors :

- what is your level in fighting sports, and what is your current fitness ? If you have none, choosing between boxing or muay thai is not much of an importance. It is better to master a skill (punching + footwork + evading) than to be bad in many fields combined (punch, elbows, knees, clinch), and furthermore, in the street you don't kick a lot (stability and groin exposure).

- "trivial considerations" : which club in the closest to you geographicaly ? In which one will you fit in the more with the members? Which one is the cheapest ? Who are the people who go there (professionals, amateurs looking to just have fun, people like you,...?)

Check both clubs if they allow "free trials" and choose with your guts.
>>
>>67316
Street fights are different than MMA fights. You don't functionally understand why shots to the back of the head are banned to begin with (short answer THEY WORK) or how open the back of the head tends to be while shooting, especially if you can get back up against a wall. Hell look at that last Adesanya fight versus the Italian guy, Vittorio or whatever. He effectively used strikes to the side of the head just to prevent takedowns once his back was to the wall, and that's against a prime wrestler without using the best spot to aim.
>>
>>67469
Which is true if you know how to keep your balance during a takedown. Izzy is good at it because he uses the fence and keeps a wide base. On the streets, unless you know how to sprawl (defensive wrestling) you are probably landing maybe 1 or 2 elbows before landing on your back.
>>
>>67169
The first principle of legitimate defense is avoidance, OP. If you're doing something that needs you to fight to defend yourself you did too much of dumb shit.
>>
>>67169

exercise romanticized by movies. you can do martial arts for 15 years and still be a pussy.
try do at least enough exorcise so you dont end up dying of heart disease. or strong enough that your women doesn't think youre a total cuck
>aim for achievable goals then exceed them
>>67170

Conner mcgregger,d the rock, maywether batman , joe rogan on pcp cant and horse de-worming agent cant beat a gun
>>
>>67469
>You don't functionally understand why shots to the back of the head are banned to begin with
Because wrestlers would get people into a turtle position and wail on their heads; in fact, it's something you see very often in street fight videos. It's primarily to nerf ground-and-pound.
>>
>>67169
muay thai because they teach countering with grapples. a more realistic scenario where you will have the upper hand. anyone can punch
>>
>>67276
Your coaches sound based as fuck. That's a fantastic combo for self defense.
>>
>>67170
>>67170
>>67170
>>67170
>>67170
>>
>>67169
Boxing is better but you will probaby not get trained correctly if you aren't talented enough to make it.

Thai boxing is inferior but more easy to train in.

I'd say go for Thai boxing and try to concentrate on punching, elbows and clinching. Kicks aren't important in street fighting.
>>
>>67231
t. hasn't roughhoused as a kid

What is it with you Americans? In Europe, everyone wrestled as a kid, on the schoolyard.
>>
>>67780
Kicks are very important in street fighting. I'm a boxer but my friend who does Muay Thai coached me on doing a good low kick and it was a game changer. You can maintain distance and since most people have never conditioned their legs it's almost always a fight ender.
>>
>>67785
Street fights almost always start from punching distance. You must be a teenager who thinks "behind school at noon" is a street fight.
>>
>>67811
If you let someone who is agressive get into punch range you are stupid as fuck and you already fucked up.
>>
>>67811
Yeah basically what >>67815 said. If you let someone inside boxing range you already fucked up. Not to mention you could always move back into kicking range lol
>>
>>67815
>>67832
lmao called it.
Duels on the schoolyard aren't street fights. Street fights start suddenly, often without any warning.
>>
>>67847
>Street fights start suddenly, often without any warning.
Maybe if you're an autist. There are almost always social cues that someone is about to get clocked. It usually starts from two tipsy guys getting into an argument about something, and emotionally escalating until they start fighting. Needless to say, it's pretty obvious when a fight is about to go down.
>>
>>67847
In that case it's not even a one on one. I'm at bar or in the streets you are getting jumped by me and my goons. You can consider yourself lucky if you don't get shanked.
>>
>>67856
Yeah that's why sucker punches don't work, oh wait...

>>67857
You're American lol. You haven't ever fought.
>>
>>68679
I've been in riots and had cinder blocks thrown at my head. I spent my teenage years in the California Youth Authority. But of course I don't know how to fight lol.
>>
>>68686
Sure, anon. And i'll have you know i'm trained in gorilla warfare and graduated top of my class in the navy seals, have over 300 confirmed kills and you're nothing to me but another target. You're dead, kiddo.
>>
>>68728
To be fair is not that unbelievable if you look at current events lol

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.