[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 123 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mag advert.png (230 KB, 1685x740)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
New server, new leadership, without jannie mods who love to ban people. I put a lot of effort into making this a great organised user experience unlike the old one which didn't have coloured names or categories for each different martial arts.

>AbNEdHDtBn
>>
what's your favorite striking and grappling style boys?
>>
>>66411
Boxing for striking, but only because Im doing competitions. Otherwise I'd be doing thai.

For wrestling its gotta be freestyle or sambo

https://youtu.be/bjn-y0oAB4U
>>
Ive done 36 rounds so far this morning. My fitness has increased after training 5 hours a day to where I can do 12 rounds after a fresh 12 rounds with a small break.

https://youtu.be/wbrvPGac2N0
>>
Have you ever switched from a martial art to another because the first one wasn't for you?
>>
>>66411
I like Muay Thai for striking and BJJ for grappling. I dunno if any other styles cover what to do after you've been tackled better than BJJ does. I know, I know, don't get tackled in the first place, but sometimes shit doesn't go the way I want it to.
>>
>>66445
Well for boxing i've tried near every stance and style and settled on a few Id like to keep

I went from peek a boo, to high guard, to low guard, to chin guard, to philly shell lmao
>>
>>66410
DISCORD TRANNIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>66419
Bruh...
>>
>>66415
BRUH

Your punches are okay on their own but for gods sake keep your fucking hands up. Also lose like 15 lbs for your walking around weight. Trying to cut down with that much fatty sag in preperation for a fight is going to be hell
>>
>>66411
Don't listen to me. I do BJJ but lately I've been studying and practicing sumo, and i have to say it grabbing some dudes belt picking him up and throwing him feels good. Plus you can slap some dude silly. Sumo is pretty cool. I like SUMO and Capoeira
>>
>>66419
LETS GO CHAMP!!!!!!!
>>
>>66411
>striking
Honestly, I still like Tae Kwon Do. The competition rules are awful, and as such, most practitioners are terrible since they only train for competitions. But the techniques in the syllabus are fantastic if you actually train them right. I've had some meet ups where we had friendly sparring sessions with other styles and, after a few slight alterations, it worked pretty well.
>grappling
I personally feel stand-up grappling is a better fit for me. While freestyle wrestling and BJJ are great at taking someone down and keeping them there, stand-up styles like Greco roman, Judo, and Bokh are great at not getting taken down.
>>
How many martial arts did you have to go through before finding the right one for you? I wantvto get into this world, but the fear of choosing poorly has me paralyzed. Should I just go for one and see what happens?
>>
>>66515
Yes. And try it out and see how you like it. Some arts are more fun to do than others.
>>
>>66519
How much time should I dedicate it before settling on whether I want to stick with it or not? I imagine it will be hard at first, but it might get better later, with a bit of patience.
>>
>Germans unwelcome
Is this some martial arts in-joke I'm not privy to?
>>
>>66535
No, OP is just autistic
>>
>>66415
>>66419
>this is the average martial arts larper
kek, holy fuck. please join an actual MA gym and lose some weight bitch tits.
>9 posters
>>
>>66520
Strikig its 6 months to get good and grappling will generally be a year for it to 'click'
>>
Why don’t you anons have dope ass Adidas gis yet?
>>
>>66507
In theory, sumo seems pretty good for self defense
You have:
>thrusting, especially towards the head of your opponent to off balance them
>upright grappling so you're hard to take down
>underhook grips are used quite often so it's not just relying on the belt
>variety of throwing techniques including leg trips
>>
>>66769
Not to mention the ultimate self defense technique, becoming much larger than everyone else.
>>
>>66777
Anybody that got that webm of a super skinny guy trying to fight a huge fat guy and getting knocked down himself just by kicking him?
>>
File: 1611732089684.webm (2.99 MB, 640x512)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>66777
doesn't work all the time
>>
>>66817
Did homeboy get his knee pulverized by the girth? A pyrrhic victory for the skinnys if so.
>>
>>66785
That video was literally staged
>>
>>66842
Damn, now I feel dumb.
>>
File: 1616442582098.webm (2.94 MB, 640x360)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>66820
yes, it ended his career but he was always a scrappy manlet with surprising technique
>>
What are anon's opinions on the best martial art/s for self defence? There are loads of different clubs and schools in my town, but that also becomes part of the problem because it's impossible to pick one.
I'm not looking to become a champion fighter or anything, but in the event that someone who actually knows what they're doing decides they want to hurt me, I'd like to be able to defend myself as effectively as possible.
>>
>>66894
Sambo, BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, shootfighting
Go to any of these. Check to make sure the schools near you are part of legit federations so you can participate in tournaments.
>>
>>66894
#1: concealed carry
>country where I live doesn't allow concealed carry
#2: train your 100m sprint + learn prison guard deescalation techniques and maybe parkour.
>ok but I really want to learn hand to hand combat for self defense
And also because it's great for keeping you in shape and pretty cool lifestyle, right?
My choices
>low cost + low time choice
Boxing. In 6 months you should learn enough foorwork, distance control, good form, combinations, etc to be able to defend yourself against the majority of the population.
>if you have money choice but don't want to get hit in the head
no-gi bjj. hopefully you have some accomplished wrestlers as coaches (which seems to be the norm now). if so, once you reach blue belt you'll be able to escape off the ground, submit and or subdue the majority of the population in a one on one situation, and know a few takedowns to dictate where the fight takes place.
>if you have money choice + it's a good gym + your willing to train a lot or you have a longer time frame
MMA gym. not much to say, learn a little bit of everything to become a well rounded fighter standing or on the ground.
>if you have money choice + you would like to keep the fight standing + it's a good gym
Muay thai. Learn distance control, learn to fight in the "phone booth" range, learn how to strike with the hardest parts of your body (knees, elbows), learn how to use your hands and feet, and learn some throws from that nasty thai clinch.
>>
>>66900
>Special mention
Judo. Well rounded grappling style and many dojos are cheaper than the alternatives. Learn how unbalance your opponent and use the earth to incapacitate your opponent and or also use some QUICK submissions & pinning techniques to subdue your opponent. Upright fighting and footwork makes you very hard to take you down. Also teaches you how to take a fall to mitigate damage. Cons being throws are performed on judogi so if someone is wearing a t-shirt or is shirtless, you're going to have to adapt your throws which isn't too difficult against the majority of the population. Someone wearing a suit or heavy jacket? You're taking them for a ride. With regards to Sambo (sports sambo), it's Judo with a less restrictive competion rules so Sambo trains a little differently than Judo. There's also combat sambo which is MMA with a jacket. Major cons with Sambo is that it's hard to find a good gym outside the eastern bloc.

To take your self defense even further, consider competing.
>>
>>66898
>>66900
All duely noted. These are the kinds of options I was already considering, so it's good to see them reiterated like this. Thanks.
>>
My main priorities are getting fit, feeling more self-confidant and secure, and knowing myself ready in case a physical confrontation ever broke out. I'm considering Muay Thai, is that a good choice or should I go for something else?
>>
>>66941
Muay Thai is a great choice.
>>
>>66944
Alright, thanks. Now, I just hope I don't get a concussion and I'll be all set. My second choice is judo; I'm a bit undecided between the two.
>>
>>66741
I wanna see you and that dude spar
>>
>>66964
If you like the idea of gi grappling I would reconmend doing Bjj, not because it's better or anything but it's really economical. You're gonna be able to practice wrestling and judo and advanced ne-waza all in one place, that's a great amount of variety for your money. If you find a good gym you can learn gi'd grappling and no-gi grappling.
>>
>>66972
I wish I could, but there are no BJJ gyms in my town; not that I know of anyway. I probably would have gone with that one to get a full body workout and self defense lessons while at it. No such luck, sadly.
>>
>>66971
I'm betting it would be hilarious
>>
>>66985
where are you at?
>>
>>66991
His jabs look fierce
>>
I have ~50 days until a fight I haven't registered nor trained for yet. I'm amateur in kickboxing and had my first two fights in a tournament in late August (that I lost in both). I was feeling really down and even stopped going to the gym for two weeks, but the regret is gnawing at me. No matter what I need to get better
>>
>>66972
>If you like the idea of gi grappling I would reconmend doing Bjj
Only if the bjj gym have accomplished judoka and has separate classes for judo. Other wise it's more economical to do judo, most judo gyms are a lot cheaper than bjj gyms and you'll still be component in ne-waza.
>>
>>67023
It does not kek
>>
>>67037
no, there's judo in jiu-jitsu. Plus a jiu-jitsu guys take down and ne-waza arsenal are much bigger than a judoka.The guy should try to learn a few moves from a whole bunch of positions than go do judo get thrown for 6 years and only come out with 3 techniques he can actually pull off
>>
>>67040
I think that dude could piece up your boyfriend
>>
>>67045
My boyfriend's pretty good with the slip and counter, though, he just can't given head worth a fuck.
>>
>>67044
>no, there's judo in jiu-jitsu
Because bjj is judo, both being japanese jiu-jitsu to be specific.
>. Plus a jiu-jitsu guys take down and ne-waza arsenal are much bigger than a judoka.
Ne-waza, yes. Take downs, no. You learn a few leg techniques and sacrifice throws that get attempted poorly during the standup. You also aren't learning kuzushi & kumi kata either.
>The guy should try to learn a few moves from a whole bunch of positions than go do judo get thrown for 6 years and only come out with 3 techniques he can actually pull off
Yes, you have a small pool of techniques that you can pull off CONSISTENTLY. You aren't using every technique in bjj, either.
And why is learning to exceptionally manipulate the gi on the ground in bjj better than exceptionally learning to manipulate the gi during the stand up + competently learning ne-waza in judo better for gi-grappling? Unless someone finds one more fun than the other, of course.
>>
>>67045
Is this some gay slang I'm not aware of
>>
>>67022
Spain, but not one of the bigger cities. In a 130k inhabitants town.
>>
>>66741
>>66971
>>66991
>>67023
>>67040
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1631528402209.webm
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 961x389)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>67075
I've never been in a 1v1v1 before
>>
>>67053
bjj guys wrestle standing up that's why, nobody wants to waste time learning kuzushi and kumi kata for six years only to be able to do sukui nag, when you can get a really good bodylock in a few weeks and a really good double/single in a year or two
>>
Right now the sport of Ammeter sumo in america is very small, anons, we could all compete against each other in sumo and have meetups in muwashi. There are titles for all of you, the talent pool is small and the skill level is still low. If we all support, or start our local sumo clubs we can start a new sport in america and meme on other countries at World Championships plus normies. It could be fun
>>
>>67134
amateur*
>>
Recently, I've been thinking to join a gym close to me that offers BJJ and Muay Thai courses. How can I tell if the quality of the teachings is good enough if I've never practised before?
>>
>>67140
Look up the lineage of the instructor and make sure he falls under Royce or Rickson Gracie and not Carlos Jr
>>
>>67144
Apparently the instructors trained under and were promoted to black belts by Robin Gracie. Do you know anything about him? Can't find much on him, apart from the fact that apparently he lost a fight vs a random guy that challenged him lol
>>
>>67140
See if they compete or have former competitors amongst them
>>
So, have the olympics proven that TKD is the more legitimate kickboxing style than karate?
>>
>>67132
>when you can get a really good bodylock in a few weeks and a really good double/single in a year or two
Which you can learn by doing no-gi bjj. You can learn almost everything ne-waza doing no-gi without spending 6 years learning kumi kata on the ground for gi bjj just so you can learn different options for the same submissions.
Remember, your original point was
>If you like the idea of gi grappling I would reconmend doing Bjj
If you are interested in gi fighting, why would choose the option that is similar to the no-gi version (bjj) over judo that is vastly different
than stand up wrestling? Manipulating the gi during stand up is the most different and most interesting thing about gi fighting.
>>
>>66971
>>67023
t. that dude
>>
>>67144
>not Carlos Jr
Why?
>>
>>67158
in bjj they use the gi to set up takedowns, just because they use stand up wrestling doesn't mean they don't use gripsm Judea pleb
>>
>>67146
lineage doesn't matter for shit go to a gym that spars and the instructor competed thats it
>>
>>67166
Nigger what
>>
>>67164
in bjj they use gi to set up pulling guard
>>
>>67175
the Gracie aren't some Magick family with special powers they didn't invent jiu-jitsu, they were one of many families that learned judo from Maeda. Why don't you learn from andre galvao? Or the people with lineage from shooto box?
>>
Is there an alternative to wrestler's bridge to conditioning your neck in a dojo? I do thai boxing and I like it for clinching, but I worry about fucking my neck up
>>
>>67199
Gabreil Varga made a video about neck conditioning, i use some of thoe exercises. You could just do yes/no's too
>>
>>67175
masturbating over lineage is masturbation. it's worthless. all that matters is the quality of instruction which is not necessarily dependent on some super prestigious lineage. some people with legendary instructors make for shitty teachers. some guys taught by their local high school wrestling coach and a purple belt are incredible instructors. all that should matter to you as a prospective student is the caliber of athlete produced at that gym. and of course practical considerations like schedule, pricing, location, etc. lineage is pure fluff.
>>
File: byamba usa sumo slam.webm (2.87 MB, 1280x720)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
>>67134
>>67135
It would be a lot harder than you think.

Amateur sumo, while still a niche sport in the US, has gotten a lot tougher in recent years. It isn't random fat guys and strong men looking to win a meme belt anymore. People actually take it seriously now. I know a guy who competed internationally in sambo and he only went 2 and 2 at the US national championship.
>>
>>67210
wish they let you wear at least shorts underneath the mawashi like they do with the ladies otherwise i might consider it. also i believe international sumo has weight classes?
>>
How many hours a day is to recommendable to practice Muay Thai if you're only doing it for fun and not competitively? There's a nearby gym in which they hold classes three hours a week. Is that okay or too little?
>>
>>67212
You can wear compression shorts under homie, get on the dohyo
>>
>>67257
>it's for fun
whenever you want then, you have the rest of your life to practice and watch film
>>
>>67210
For sure, but there's still a chance. It's easy to train by yourself(doing things like shikko,teppo,suriashi,weigthlifting) and even if the people are getting better the rate of improvement and knowledge is about the same for everyone. And even if we lose and it's tuff it would be funny to see Sumo Wrestling become as big of a phenomena as Jiu-Jitsu
>>
>>67292
>Sumo Wrestling become as big of a phenomena as Jiu-Jitsu
it's 1000 times more interesting to watch than bjj that's for sure. if it does get big, I wonder if weight classes would help solve its aesthetics problem
>>
>>67299
It's actually a sport for any size.
#healthyatanysize#allshapesarebeautiful
>>
>>67301
it is, but international competition has weight classes.
>>
>>67302
yeah, that's just the slogan we use to get college kids participating and forming their own clubs. If it gonna come to america it should be as widely adopted by all the cliques.
>>
Are you into martial arts as pros or as amateurs?
>>
>>67152
No? The reason Karate has never been in the olympics is because there's never been any genuine unified ruleset between the various styles, Seidokaikan and the karatekas in K1 are more than enough proof it's more "legitimate" than TKD. ITF TKD is more legitimate kickboxing than WT TKD as well
>>
>>67472
I'm a shitty amateur that wants to be a pro
>>
>>67299
there are weight classes at the amateur level, you can even compete friend
>>
Just wanted to thank /xs/ for helping me make up my mind on practising a martial art; next week I'm getting started on Muay Thai.
>>
Why is it so fucking hard to find a decent gym? I'm looking for a BJJ or Muay Thai gym in town and most of them are run by people who never competed or look like toxic shit where the teacher believes he's some kind of divine guru. I even found a BJJ course run by a blue belt who has never competed. It's so annoying. Also, it looks like everyone wants to do either BJJ, boxing or Muay Thai, so all gyms are crammed... Fuck this shit
>>
>>67949
You can still be a good teacher even if you never competed yourself. Plenty of great boxing coaches barely or never competed themselves. John Danaher is a famous example in BJJ. See if they're producing any successful students, that can tell you more.

But yeah, I know what you mean. It sucks when there isn't anything good nearby and you can't move.
>>
>>67956
You are 100% right, what I meant was that nowhere on their websites or gyms I can see a trophy, a photo of a competition, etc. It's disheartening
>>
>>66410
I dont get mma culture. I'm easily one of the top white belts, have been there for over a year, but I get mixed messages from other upper belts. Sometimes theyre cool guys, other times they act like they dont know me. But when theyre cool, theyre cool and supportive and actually very nice. But then other times its like I'm a fresh member and they dont want to interact.
>>
>>67960
You either have to stick around long enough to show heart or you have dab on them so hard in sparring that they will never forget you. Basically you have to take your respect from them. Make those faggots bring you fresh towels.
>>
Hello, i will be unable to go to my gym soon because im unvaccinated.

I remember a d*scord where some canadian anons were planning to train together. I got banned from discord but now i wish i could train with someone somehow.......i am canadian......
>>
>>67984
Get vaccinated you stupid dumb fuck
>>
Martial arts bros, I'd like some advice. I'll try to make it short.
I am currently weak and skinnyfat, since I had no PE classes in high school and never established a workout routine of my own.
Is martial arts a good way to get me going? Should I try to get fit before I try a martial art? What would be the best way to go about this? I'd like to get into them.
>>
>>68012
A lot of martial arts, especially things like boxing, bjj, mma, muay thai, etc will heavily incorporate cardio and conditioning into your sessions. A lot of them will also start at your pace, as well, so you can build your fitness levels as you progress.
>>
>>66900
Learned a lot from your post. I have more to ask if you're here or if anyone is willing to help I would appreciate it. I know that most MMA incorporate an offensive/defensive maneuver but is there an art that's meant for you to be the aggressor/instigator? The one attacking? And also from the perspective of wanting to do harm, not necessarily being limited to a certain art that's meant to be done in a sport setting with restrictive rules, but an art that's meant to outright "debilitate" the opponent, a no holds barred situation, would MMA actually help with that or is the techniques in general too limited since it is already ingrained in sports culture? Basically what I'm asking for is there an art meant for war instead of sports.

Someone said that Muay Boron is that art, can anyone confirm?
>>
>>68001
Don't listen to this fag. All you have to do is bribe a nurse so she will give you a fake vaxx card. Anyone who dies from the basedflu had it coming.
>>
>>68042
you are not a hellene warrior you are a skinnyfat video game player. even though it would probably teach you something about the irrelevance of your personality and self-image in the face of natural disasters like a virus, i hope you don't get the cough. i know too many nurses and don't want their day ruined by another corpse.
>>
>>66756
It's the other way around.
>>
>>68048
Lord please spare this retarded young man. Amen. He knows not what to think.
>>
>>67960
You need to whip out your dick and drag it across the mat to establish territorial dominance.
>>
>>68012
I've never been to a gym or dojo yet that didn't advertise it as a good way to get in shape where the instructors aren't prepared to help fatties transcend the lard. Is it the most efficient means of getting strong and lean? No, actually, but you might find it more motivating than lifting iron or P90X.

>>68015
The only real arts meant for war are weapons-oriented. As for Muay Boran, good luck finding that anywhere unless you fly to Thailand and sell your boy butt for class money.

>>68042
Polite reminder in the event of an actual reactionary reordering of society you would be mandated to get jabbed by "your betters."
>>
>>68015
I think you mean well but this exact debate has been the center of martial arts "discourse", and by that I mean primate shit throwing, for generations.

To make a very long story short. Guys who train for "war" don't seem to know how to fight. Combat sports will teach you how to fight at least one guy at a time which is better than what the 2deadly stuff can do.

This all applies to unarmed of course. If you need to kill someone, practice drawing a gun and firing it.
>>
>>66848
rip noble manlet soldier in the war against biggers o7 your sacrifice will be remembered forever
>>
File: 1632157576411.png (101 KB, 750x1334)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>68059
Ok actual incompetent cattle brain retard slave retard tard lmao.
>>68066
My betters??
>>
>>68066
>The only real arts meant for war are weapons-oriented. As for Muay Boran, good luck finding that anywhere unless you fly to Thailand and sell your boy butt for class money.
>>68068
Yeah, that's what I figured, I still think there has to be a good art out there to trains stabbing, neck breaking, etc, or just hit the gym and train farmer style since that's what I hear activates the most of your ligaments and makes you really strong as oppose to hypertrophy/weight-powerlift. As for firearms training I'm glad I live in a red state where in every corner you could learn this and much more. Either way thank you for the responses, I've always wondered about that as someone who's relatively new to the MMA scene.
>>
>>68175
Basic problem you run into is the deadlier or more injurious you get, the lower percentage the technique and the harder it is to actually train. A punch to the face is pretty easy to train and only takes some minor adjustment to do safely. If you want you can take the gloves off and find a bunch of idiots to smash eachother full force 24/7 and no one is going to die. Not very good for your hands or brain but still, you can. If you wanted to train eye gouges by contrast, not only is it actually really fucking difficult to land compared to a punch but no one in their right mind will ever go live in a eye gouging drill. This basic issue is the problem with all self-defense martial arts. Sport fighter gets real reps in and trains against resisting opponents. Self-defense guy has to do static drills and never gets to spar because doing so would be too dangerous. Consequently, sport fighter kicks self-defense guy's ass 90/100 times.

Oh and minor point, but as long as you avoid the machines you'll be hitting the stabilizer muscles and ligaments with barbell exercises. If you're worried about that just never use any piece of equipment besides maybe chalk. Or maybe take the kettlebell pill.
>>
File: 1631213392154.jpg (274 KB, 800x900)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
I'm gonna go to my first ever muay thai session today. I've only ever done a few classes of judo, what should I expect?
>>
>>68012
>Is martial arts a good way to get me going?
Sure.

>Should I try to get fit before I try a martial art?
No. Being in good shape always helps, but too many people who try to get fit first never start training because they were too lazy or burned themselves out on exercise. You may not get fit in the most efficient manner, but you'll get more hours training that you wouldn't get otherwise and have more incentive to keep going.

>>66894
Learn one good striking art and one good grappling art. The particular combo doesn't really matter as long as they pressure test and train with aliveness. You can add in other supplementary stuff like weapons or more niche combat sports after you've built a solid base.

>>68015
>Basically what I'm asking for is there an art meant for war instead of sports.
The idea that they're mutually exclusive is a false dichotomy. Sport martial arts have always been a part of the training/development of soldiers/warfare both historically and in the modern era. The Khans of Mongolia considered wrestling an essential skill in keeping the Golden Horde combat-ready. Renaissance fencing masters were often hired to act as combat instructors. When BJJ was at its biggest hype in the mid 2000s, the Army released a new combatives manual that was chock full of BJJ-moves.

Combat sports aren't a perfect analogue for self defense/combat, but they're still a much better base to learn from than the vast majority of modern "reality-based" combat schools.
>>
>>68203
Idk I reckon every gym is different. Tell us how it was, babe <3
>>
How do I become a martial arts actor for films?
>>
>>68270
You need to be more of an actor than a martial artist in most movies these days. Choreography and special effects have progressed enough that most movie studios no longer waste their time on a skilled meathead who can't actually act for shit. That's why most of those guy's careers died out at least a good twenty years ago.
>>
>>68183
I get what you mean and although I didn't necessarily mean training obvious techniques that would debilitate a person or leave them permanently injured, it was certainly close to the question I wanted to ask. I honestly think the closest program of what I'm looking for after doing more research is doing something like Navy Seals honestly. Mastery of terrain, psychological state of mind to kill someone, knowing how to survive, etc.
>>68219
>The idea that they're mutually exclusive is a false dichotomy. Sport martial arts have always been a part of the training/development of soldiers/warfare both historically and in the modern era. The Khans of Mongolia considered wrestling an essential skill in keeping the Golden Horde combat-ready. Renaissance fencing masters were often hired to act as combat instructors. When BJJ was at its biggest hype in the mid 2000s, the Army released a new combatives manual that was chock full of BJJ-moves.
>Combat sports aren't a perfect analogue for self defense/combat, but they're still a much better base to learn from than the vast majority of modern "reality-based" combat schools.
While they might share some rhizomatic tendencies, I do think the fork goes too far from what I was getting at. It doesn't matter the similarities, because you are trying for a sport instead of causing someone harm. You might think that the rules and the general way of how they teach you don't change your psychology, but it does. I am also not saying that these techniques you learn from an MMA will not help you from a real street fight, far from it, but the ability you learn is ultimately a closed form compared to someone that could use any resource at his hand to kill you. As opposed to you wanting to beat him up and hope he get either K.O or chocked out if he doesn't have any people helping him.

For sure doing MMA doesn't hurt, but it is not the final frontier, which is what I'm getting at based on what I'm researching and reading.
>>
>>68183
>Self-defense guy has to do static drills
To be fair, some schools are very drill heavy even in sports. The countries of the former Soviet Union are known to have a very drill-heavy pedagogy
>>
>>68278
Can I ask why you want to learn this shit? Are you being pursued by the cartel? Why do you want to be so lethal and wary?
>>
>>68291
Yeah drills aren't the devil. But I think some drills are more alive than others and if all you ever do is drill that's severely limiting. Self-defense class typically only involves the most static drills, you punch this way and then I grab your arm this way and then this happens etc. And sparring is absent. Can't learn to fight like that. At best it could be a complement to a combat sport.
>>
So, will the potential inclusion of SAMBO as an Olympic sport - perhaps in the 2028 summer - increase its popularity outside of Russia, especially if it becomes the "third wrestling style" like it was in the 80s?

As a Judo guy, I've always wanted to try it because the rules seem fun; but nobody really does it near me.
>>
>>68298
perhaps combat sambo but sports sambo has a minimal chance of making it in the games i believe. i would appreciate it if sambo replaced greco though
>>
>>68301
>perhaps combat sambo
lol lmao
combat sambo was a grudging inclusion on account of the popularity of MMA in Russia; the governing body prefers and promotes sport sambo. If any form of sambo is getting in the olympics, it's sport sambo.
>>
>>68301
Man why you gotta do Greco-Roman like that. It's the most distinct style of wrestling. Sport Sambo by contrast is going to look a bit too much like Judo for the Olympic committee. I'll be surprised if it sticks around.
>>
>>68298
>>68301
>>68303
>>68307
>be born in russia during the cold war
>join the kgb and work your way up through the ranks throughout your career
>end up not only in control of the country, but be a massively pro-russian nationalist and harken back to soviet glory days
>even though you studied sambo as a teenager, you identify more as a judoka and people see you practicing it everywhere
Really got my noggin' joggin' like David Goggins.
>>
>>68307
>It's the most distinct style of wrestling
going to have to disagree with that. it's distinct enough to warrant inclusion but i'd wager the views for it aren't great.
>Sport Sambo by contrast is going to look a bit too much like Judo for the Olympic committee. I'll be surprised if it sticks around.
which is why I included a possibility for combat sambo, at least that's different enough. Though if the summer games get hosted somewhere in russia sports sambo might make an appearance and then disappear like karate in tokyo.
>>
>be me
>24
>started bjj a while ago
>hot garbage
>there's this girl around my age in my gym
>7/10 qt, looks great
>everyone, me included, treats her like a bro on the mat
>didn't even think of her as a woman until yesterday
>she's way better than me and she usually submits me kinda easily
>but yesterday I was handling it way better than usual
>at one point she gets my back and chokes me
>I can hear her panting when she pretty much whispers in my hear "sweet dreams baby boy"
>pass out
>wake up like half a second later
>horny like a 14 yo
>I can't see her as a bro anymore
What did she do to me? Every time I think about I get rock hard. Why did you do it woman?
>>
>>68312
>>she's way better than me and she usually submits me kinda easily
>>I was handling it way better than usual
Maybe she was letting you get the upper hand at times, maybe she's sending signals. Maybe she's doing some female shit and fucking with your emotions, or maybe she's just training and that's her bro behaviour.
>>
>>68203
I've just finished my first two classes
I'd say make sure you get a good introduction to stance and footwork and focus on that
>>
>>68278
>doing something like Navy Seals
You know what to do, then.
>>
>>68278
>, but the ability you learn is ultimately a closed form compared to someone that could use any resource at his hand to kill you. As opposed to you wanting to beat him up and hope he get either K.O or chocked out if he doesn't have any people helping him.
Every professional mma fighter could beat to death every black belt practioner of mcmap. I would put money on this.
>>
>>68259
>>68318
It was awesome, pretty packed place but the coaches were really helpful and did a good job explaining the basics to me. I sweat a fuckton, the shin kicks feel badass to do too, definitely going back
>>
What are the key differences between Kick Boxing and Muay Thai? Is one superior over the other or are they just different?
>>
>>68348
From my limited perspective and limited time at a kickboxing gym, kickboxing has a lot of the kicks from, or based off of the ones in muay thai, but there's a wider range of punching and upper body techniques and even footwork derived from boxing. Kickboxing gyms might still teach you a wider range of thai strikes (eg. knees and elbows) in addition to the usual kickboxing, or some instructors will even be muay thai instructors as well as kickboxing instructors. The rules for a kickboxing fight tend to be more limited in so far as no elbows and knees being allowed, where as far as I can tell, there's nothing that's allowed in a kickboxing fight that isn't allowed in a muay thai fight.
Depending on the gym you go to and where you live in the world, because kickboxing is a more Westernised martial art, there can be more of a chance for hard sparring, whereas traditional muay thai camps tend to use light, playful sparring, since their guys get all their hard experience through having ridiculous amounts of fights, anyway.
>>
>>68348
>>68355
Oh I forgot to add:
Muay thai fights will also allow shit like clinching, throws and even kicks from funny angles, all of which tend to be banned from kickboxing rules.
As far as superiority goes, it's really going to come down to how well the individual is using either. If you're an excellent kickboxer, but you're fighting someone who barely knows any muay thai, then you're probably going to beat them pretty badly. But if you're facing a well trained and experienced thai boxer and your kickboxing isn't up to snuff then that guy is probably going to knee and kick the shit out of you.
>>
Should one avoid lifting the same day he trains for a combat sport?
>>
>>68369
lighter weights are preferred, you want to be flexible but if you're good at stretching afterwards then you should be ok, obviously don't knacker yourself out before training but a light all around weight workout wont hurt, gets the bloodflowing etc
>>
>>68312
You tried to compete and she had to stomp down that shit quick
You're getting jujitsucucked
>>
>>68369
You won't recover from the lifting properly and you'll tire yourself out for the combat sports and raise the risk of injury
>>
>>68278
>which is what I'm getting at based on what I'm researching and reading
Have you ever practiced a martial art or been in a fight? Honest question.
>>
>>68386
>>68395
Not the guy you replied to, but even though this makes a lot of sense, how are you supposed to incorporate a decent weight training program into your training if you're going to the gym say five or six days a week? It seems like if you can't do serious weight training on the same days as going to the gym, then you'd never really be able to do it at all.
>>
>>68512
You are fuckin up with your training. You should have enough energy to get a decent lift session at least three times a week. Don't burn yourself out little homie.
>>
>>68515
I'm the anon who originally asked. I work out 5 days a week on a home gym and then I go jogging on the weekends. I want to join three weekly hours of Muay Thai, but I don't know if that will affect my regular lifting routines.
>>
>>68515
That seems like a more reasonable compromise.
>>
>>68517
Three weekly ours sounds good. As long as you don't go full retard during your training sessions you should still be able to do your lifts. Once you advance to sparring it might get more dicey.
>>
Should I go to Muay Thai again today if I'm still pretty sore from my last session?
>>
>>68519
Alright, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>68517
muay thai > lifting, if you're working out 5 days a week you can give up some time for 3 hours of muay thai lmao
>>
>>68523
yes just warm up and cool down then eat ans sleep good
>>
>>68552
Which exercise does it substitute for?
>>
>>68568
just look up Muay Thai training and you'll see what it entails.
>>
>>68296
I'm looking at it from a pure survival perspective, trying to strip all the bullshit, gimmicks, etc, in case of a real emergency where my life is tried.
>>68322
I do.
>>68325
>Every professional mma fighter could beat to death every black belt practioner of mcmap. I would put money on this.
That's interesting, but I don't think there ever has been a real fight between an MMA professional an a soldier/warrior. Remember, this is a fight to the death, so anything goes. Obviously I'm not talking about some goofy guy starting the match with a gun, that would be silly. But someone that uses everything in his disposal to survive, using dirty tricks, etc. I think the professional whether he likes it or not will be at a disadvantage because his psychological make up isn't made to kill, and his combat abilities is somewhat hampered due to the rules of the sport. Remember, the pro is already programmed to not do certain moves/techniques due to hurting someone or getting his career destroyed. On the other hand, I have been into Marine bases and know a lot of military personnel and there are certainly a lot of people that professional MMA fighters could just dominate.
>>68479
>Have you ever practiced a martial art or been in a fight? Honest question.
I don't mind the question, I'm just here to learn and discuss this topic since it fascinates me. But yes, ever since I was born I've been in fights, I think the time I've stop fighting was when I moved to a major Western power. Ever since I moved here in the U.S and got work I just don't see the time when people could fight. I think that's why it's usually related to ghettos where blacks live, although I'm not saying that fights doesn't break out in suburbs, etc, it seems less likely. This however doesn't seem to be a societal positive because it does make whites weak in a sense. At least the Whites that live in the West, I've seen Whites that grew up elsewhere be monsters, a good kind of monster mind you.
>>
>>68693
>Obviously I'm not talking about some goofy guy starting the match with a gun, that would be silly. But someone that uses everything in his disposal to survive, using dirty tricks, etc. I think the professional whether he likes it or not will be at a disadvantage because his psychological make up isn't made to kill, and his combat abilities is somewhat hampered due to the rules of the sport.

In a barehanded fight that is not going to be as relevant as the fact that unlike a soldier they spend 100% of their training learning how to fight barehanded and the soldier has:
1. primarily training with a gun (rifle, pistol, maybe something else)
2. secondarily training with a knife
3. massive emphasis on types of conditioning that won't matter in 1-1 combat
4. maybe another job like being a radio operator or a repairman
5. and then after all of that maybe they did a six weeks hand-to-hand training course

Are you really expecting the MMA guy to lose that? When they've put so much more time into the applicable training? They've poked out as many eyes with their fingers as the average soldier has. They have a gargantuan advantage in terms of fighting experience, they are going to blast that soldier away. They wouldn't even need to kill them they would just KO or choke them out.
>>
>>68479
Reason I mentioned race was because of obvious observations I did between the countries I've lived, it's not meant to start any discussion or argument about race or anything like that.
>>
>>68697
Now that you put it that way maybe the MMA would win. Since basic training is less than a year, and even if that marine were to have comparable training as the MMA professional he would have to stay in basic longer, but yet the training in the marines isn't as good as the MMA one. And even if that marine were to go on tour it doesn't necessarily mean he would be in combat, and if he is, most of the conflict would be done by weapons/holding down a spot. Alright, I understand now.
>>
The closest gym near me does allow sparring, but it's not very frequent. Should I look for another one, or is it okay to train there to get the basics and then move on to one with sparring once I feel ready for it?
>>
>>68348
"kickboxing" is a very broad term and technically includes muay thai

american kickboxing is karate without the japanese cultural stuff. you're bouncing around on your feet in a side on stance and there's lots of side kicks. like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPSfh8U9SUY rule wise, you can only punch and kick and kicks must be above the waist. that style causes problems when you go up against someone who will chop at your legs, like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpl_7w8-jTE
muay thai has a very loose ruleset that allows elbows, knees, sweeps and low kicks and prolonged clinches. it has a front on stance to adjust to the risk of low kicks, but that substantially limits the kinds of kicks you can do. their kicks also tend to be slower, but harder.
dutch kickboxing, from what I understand, is more a combination of muay thai kyokushin karate and western boxing
savate I know nothing about other than it's french and they wear shoes
>>
>>68892
and then to add to this, you also get sanshou in china, which includes throws and sweeps, and lethwei which is essentially burmese muay thai but with headbutts and retarded rules
>>
>>68892
Savate was created by drunk sailors who had to hold on something to not fall on the ground while fighting, that's the reason it mainly uses kicks. You can only kick with the foot and not the shin.
>>
>>68348
i believe kickboxing tends to be more fast paced, as clinching is limited and the focus of the fights gravitate more towards who is more agrresive and can make better combos, muay thai is more about making single shots with all your power (as far form my experience watching fights, muay thai fighters are more about doing basic combos and avoid overextending, muay thai is unironically more defensive compared to it´s rival dutch style kickbox) and also more about distance and control.
>>
>>68917
savate seems so cool, are they any kick boxers that i can watch that have it as there base?
>>
>>68962
Jon Jones' oblique kick is originally from savate though he's not a savate fighter.
>>
why does iceymike have such an ugly wife he's not bad looking and very athletic but his wife is like a 2/10 mystery meat Dominican
>>
>>69018
She was probably better looking when they were younger, they already have 2 children or something, one of them almost on their teens. Also, you don't marry someone based on their looks only. If that was the case, people with trophy wives would have the best marriages ever and if we know anything about the world we know this is just not true.
>>
>>69018
he's a bald manlet, not really who women dream of
>>
>>68917
I thought Savate fighters were supposed to also wear special shoes with reinforced tips to help prevent them breaking their feet? Also it was to help simulate how they would normally be fighting in boots?
Correct me if I'm wrong please. Never get to talk to many Savate practitioners.
>>
>>69304
Yeah you have shoes, the reason you use shins to kick in muay thai is so you don't destroy your feet but if you have shoes there's no more reason to use them since the feet are now a more dangerous weapon.
>>
why have i never seen someone get knocked out with a low kick in a street fight?
99.5% of people have no idea how to even stop a low kick. With the default stance for brawling retards being head back legs forward you would think that anyone with general martial art training would just insta-ko them with a well placed low kick, its literally free.
>>
>>69349
Finishing someone with a low kick tends to take a while. I'm guessing most fights either de-escalate after a guy gets a dead leg or they get knocked out by punches because they don't know how to defend those either.
>>
>>69349
Same reason why you've never seen somebody die on the first punch
Breaking a human body to the point of crippling them is hard
>>
>>68962
Richard Sylla, Sebastien Farina, Andre Panza, Kamel Chouareff, and Francois Penacchio

Gerard Gordeau was a savate and kickboxing champion, but a kickboxer that transitioned over into savate.
>>
Are any knife based martial arts like systema or arnis legit or are they all memes?
>>
>>69402
>Same reason why you've never seen somebody die on the first punch
this happens all the time

here in Western Australia they had to invent a new offence for that exact situation, people would clock someone on the back of the head, kill them but get off on manslaughter because they didn't have the intent to kill
>>
>>69408
best knife based martial art is traditional epee fencing, no wacky fancy slashes just good footwork and in and out stabs
>>
How did you cope with the initial embarrasment that came out of being the worst fighter in your gym when you were a novice? I'm just starting but it's getting to me.
>>
>>69630
Have you sparred with anyone who fights professionally yet? You don't know embarrassment until you get humbled by a pro boxer with a mediocre record and realize that just because you are young and strong it doesn't mean shit if you don't have the skills.
>>
>>69636
I haven't sparred yet, but I imagine that what you describe would feel much worse.
>>
File: one puuuuuunch.webm (2.7 MB, 852x480)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
>>69402
>>
>>69671
Damn I wonder what physiological process made this happen. I don't understand how a ko punch can just up and kill you. Maybe if the victim was like 10 years old.
>>
>>69673
Looks like his neck bent back considerably; maybe that did it?
>>
>>66419
dangerously based. everyone else itt is just afraid of your power. don't change a thing.
>>
>>69671
what's the story for this? There's a good chance that the fall finished him off here
>>
>>69766
Just read on efukt that the dude died idk the specifics
>>
>>69766
That doesn't look like a particularly bad fall and it was on grass to boot. I've seen worse in street beefs.

Apparently this is not unheard of though. There's group called "One Punch Can Kill" that have recorded about 80 deaths since 2007. It's very rare but entirely possible to shut someone off for good. I wonder if there's a genetic component going on because in that clip homeboy seems to be having a seizure. Could be some rare form of epilepsy that gets triggered by being clobbered.
>>
Have you ever dropped a martial art in favor of another?
>>
>>69636
Yeah I sparred with a Romanian guy who I believe was on the IJF circuit 10 years ago. I wasn't trying to smash him, but I really felt the skill gap.
>>
>>69833
yes, i stopped doing taekwondo for muay thai and kickboxing. I might stop competition in BJJ for Sumo. I did a sumo tournament yesterday and it was rough I won one of 6 matches. Mongolians are strong and I can charge hard, need to train more
>>
>>69850
Does what you learnt previously mesh well with the new techniques and rules, or is it more of an annoying load?
>>
>>69833
Muay Thai for BJJ
>>
What's the best martial art to master to survive 5 guys jumping at you?
>>
>>69922
Puerto Rican Judo. Be advised that art is so deadly that you will catch a charge.
>>
>>69853
sumo techniques in bjj is actually really annoying to deal with, grabbing the belt prevents guard buttscooters from going to the floor and it eat up space and really messes with under/over hook dynamics. TKD and muay thai is monster combo
>>
>>69923
That when a dude grabs you and then stabs you right?
>>
>>70047
Or shoots you. Ideally the other guy would never touch you.
>>
File: hakuho v shodai.webm (2.97 MB, 640x360)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>
>>66410
I’ve wasted years and past 30
Tbh take what you can afford in your area and take what your country does best at into account.
You won’t get ideal body or life but energy should get you fit mobile active and competent to accomplish what you want in life
So easy for insomnia to take away your AM hours and in the PM you are just eating and waiting for bed again
>>
Is Muay Thai, BJJ, and Judo a good combo?
>>
>>70369
yes but YOU only ever needed 3 months in 1 to beat 99% of the average people that never trained
>>
>>70375
Ok if I wanted to compete in MMA should i replace judo with wrestling?
>>
>>70382
do mma if you want to compete in mma
>>
>>70384
This, stop fucking around with other sports and just go to an MMA gym if that's your goal.
>>
>>68697
God this reminds me of a time, a decade ago now, when I got into a fight with, and absolutely whooped the ass of some army guy at a club in hollywood. Sometimes guys from the 29 palms base will drive all the way out to LA to go clubbing. My gf was mad at me for it, and even had the balls to say I WAS LUCKY he didn't go all out because "he was in the army". Fuck I was so insulted by how little faith she had in me. We broke up very very soon after.
>>
>>70439
you should have boxed her pussy with your penis for a comment like that bro
>>
>>70439
Normies are so fucking stupid about the fighting ability of troops. Like every dipshit that drops out of community college to join the army is Nick Cage from Con Air.
>>
>>70467
so many idiots have told me Krav Maga is the deadliest martial art lmao
>>
Asking to see if anybody has the /fit/ infographic/tierlist on martial arts.
Thanks.
>>
>>70587
Second this,
Ive never thrown a punch and I'm looking for a sticky.
My buddy is trying to get me into jujutsu but its $120 a month and I can't really cut that
>>
>>70595
go box buddy cheap and just as useful as jujutsu
>>
>>70595
just do judo

you'll do the same shit as BJJ plus a bit more for a quarter of the price.
>>
>>70608
>>70603
Thanks guys appreciate it
>>
anybody know where can i stream UFC pass? I wanna watch Polaris tonight
>>
>>70625
>1m.....freestreAms-----live1.cooooooom
>>
>>70608
>a quarter of the price
Maybe in hicksville where there are 3 people in your weight class in the state

The places in the US that have survived and are in the relevant regions for judo(CA, TX, NY-NJ-MA) by running things like a real business cost about as much as BJJ places, maybe ~10-20% less.
>>
How do I join the server? What does the greenbelt mean? I'm a noob at discord
>>
>>70656
This stereotype of expensive BJJ and cheap Judo is like a decade obsolete. These days you can absolutely find a cheap BJJ gym but you get what you pay for. Those gyms are going to have practice less often with less accomplished instructors who are probably not 100% in the zone all the time because they have a day job. Judo places tend to be similar because there's not a lot of money or passion for it in the USA. But as you said, the really high quality joints are just as expensive as any given Atos or BJJ celebrity coach gym.
>>
What's the minimum cardio/stamina level I should achieve before joining a gym? Also, are MMA gyms bad for learning technique in striking and grappling?
>>
>>70705
Don't cook up more excuses for not training. Too easy to get in the habit. Go now, even if you're obese.

No, not sure I get this question. What else would MMA gyms exist to do if they were? There are bad individual gyms but as a rule? No.
>>
>>70689
>>70656
why automatically assume everyone is American or that the American experience is shared worldwide? oh right yeah, because you're american.

here in Australia I pay less for Judo in a month than I would in BJJ for a week. that's at the top judo club in my state too.
>>
>>70717
Because I would rather not preface every single statement I make with "this only applies to Americans" so I just make it extremely clear that I am American and am talking about America in my post.

Plus, it's a safe assumption on this here American website with a primarily American user base. Fuck your stupid penal colony.
>>
>>70712
Don't worry, I'm not obese or anything, I can manage a 28:00 for a 5k. I'm a strength training gym rat, and I occasionally hit the heavy bag in my gym with internet guides like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5gGu_A2b-U

I want to start combat sports, but I would like to be able to have a good gas tank and physique before I begin. What kind of training should I do, and what should be my goal, if I want to be considered respectably fit as a beginner?
>No, not sure I get this question.
I hear from people that MMA gyms techniques aren't as good as gyms that teach individual grappling and striking..but I guess it really doesn't matter now that I think about it. Please disregard the question.
>>
>>70742
Sprints are probably the best for cardio, endurance running is overrated. But really I don't know why you feel the need to do this. Any gym will take in a hobbyist at nearly any level of fitness. The best way to get in shape for fighting is to get used to fighting so I really think you ought to just hop right in.
>>
>>70742
If you're doing 5k you're already fine in regards to cardio. Having great endurance or athleticism is for the guys doing long hours in the gym.

>good gas tank
Fighting stress and adrenaline can fuck with gas tanks, it's unavoidable until you gain experience. Even then, coaches with the wrestling grind mentality will train you that way anyways.

After training for some months, ifyou feel the need to modify anything about your S&C, you can find a coach or look around for stuff like
Functional. Stuff like FMS aimed at preventing injury or training certain movement patterns relevant to training
Power Endurance. Typically low reps of explosive movements, moderate weights, up to 1min rest between sets-complexes-whatever
Endurance. Typically circuit training with low weight or calisthenics. Multiple movement patterns
>>
>starting attending martial art I enjoyed when younger
>nearly die during training because I am out of shape

h-how do I make it guys? is there a decent cardio conditioning routine I should follow?
>>
>>71201
No just keep fighting. You will be shit and suffer for a month or two but that's martial arts innit.
>>
>>71201
practice at home, don't just leave it in the gym. Practice your drills and if you have a problem with getting tired do the same movements that gas you out
>>
>gym restuffed bags during lockdown
>now hard as fuck
>bruised the shit out if my shin/foot
I'm icing and using hirudoid cream. Anything else i should do to recover as much as possible by tomorrow?
>>
File: kenny-omega-suplex.gif (927 KB, 220x124)
927 KB
927 KB GIF
Jorge Masvidal and former UFC champ Junior dos Santos set to make pro wrestling debut

https://youtu.be/CUjRF2dwuKg
>>
>>71223
massage it and soak in the bath, ibuprofen is your friend
>>
>>69922
the art of track and field
>>
File: 1615219559239.png (1.01 MB, 828x819)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
How do you tell a good martial arts gym from a bad one?
>>
>>71201
Just keep attending practice.
>>
>>71421
See if what you're learning is working in sparring.
>>
Im new to judo and have some questions

is wearing a blue gi as a level 1 slime cringe? I want a second gi so I dont have to wash mine multiple times a week, but no one really wears a blue gi at my gym and I dont want to look like a fag

how long does it take to learn a move properly, and should I just focus on 1 move until Ive got it down even if it takes weeks/months, or learn multiple at once?

I have a powerlifting background and am stronger tham most people at my gym. I find I can just use raw strength to beat people more skilled than me. but if I do this Im just learning shitty technique. how do I stop doing this?
>>
>>71519
White gi only unless you're at a competition.
>>
>>71525
thanks. ordered 2 extra white gis. what do you think about the other 2 questions?
>>
>>71526
If you are xboxhueg just own it. In fact you should focus on power moves so your dojo mates have to git gud to compensate for the power difference.
>>
>>71526
I forgot about the other question. Most competitive judoka only have three moves.
>>
>>71529
so far Ive only been shown "Ippon Seoi Nage" and something on the ground I dont know the name of. should I just practice that every session for the next several week/months?
>>
>>71533
Since you are strong I would focus on osoto gari combinations. And uchimatas bitches love a clean ippon uchi.
>>
>>71519
let go of your strength
>>
>>71535
thanks for the advice

>>71537
how?
>>
>>71539
focus purely on technique, grab and throw like you're stroking a cat or painting a small detail, your strength will still be there regardless
>>
>>71539
don't listen to >>71540 bye some resistance bands and drill your Seoi nage as explosively as you can for reps and sets, do as many as you can as explosively and fluidly as you can until you get tired, rest, then do it again.
>>
>>71550
bruh he can't even do seoi nage properly, he said he's just using raw strength, also against his level 1 bros so you're just going to memorise a bad seoi nage that just relies on power not technique, his power is always going to be there so he should just focus on technique, it wont make him weaker after all
>>
>>71551
no he should do uchikomi as aggressively as possible
>>
File: slashmagslash.png (54 KB, 961x749)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>70587
>>70595

Saved this from /fit/ like a year ago. I think it holds up.
>>
>>71602
That list is off with regards to kendo and hema. Kendo is legit in Japan since half the cops still take it seriously and hold competitions and beat the shit out of drunks using kendo. HEMA is a complete larp but the majority of the practitioners think they are Coldsteel.
>>
>>71525
If he's big and strong, he can just throw a georgian down the back and go into soto makikomi, sumi or a khabarelli, or ouchi.
>>
>>71616
Godamn Slavic Chads. Always trying to keep us manlets down. I will drop seoi nage you so deep you will have to look up to see Hell.
>>
>>71619
Within a certain range of sizes, you don't have to be all that big to access the Georgian position. I'm kinda small for -73kg, and I often use and access it RvR by getting a sleeve grip and circling out with a strong pull. When they re-establish their stance as you cut the corner, you have easy access to the back grip.
>>
>>71619
>tfw got drop seoi'd onto my face for what should have been ippon, but the ref had already called 'mate' so it didn't count

It was a weird match
>>
>>71605
That explains why gooks consistently btfo nips in kendo
>>
>>71627
Gooks are naturally violent and physically bigger than japs. Of course they are going to have an advantage at fighting aports
>>
>>71605
>the japanese police do it!!! it's strong!!
have you ever done kendo? You score points based on the nice sound your weapon makes upon impact, it's worse than HEMA as HEMA allows takedowns in most rulesets
>>
>>71656
Just because HEMA allows grappling doesn't mean the practicioners are any good at it. They are still butt blasted about that one vid where the guy tosses away his sword and just yeets the other goof.
>>
>>71605
Police kendo is a whole different beast from normal kendo. You actually have to be a japanese policeman to do that ruleset, no one else is trying to get concussed from a footsweep and beat over the head with a stick like a mad dog.
99.9% of kendo practicioners don't train that way and as a foreigner, you never will.

I don't know how useful it is but it's certainly hard-core. Maybe it's useful in japan because a shinai is about the only weapon you don't need a special license for. I think even imitation swords like the type hema guys use are controlled.
>>
>>71683
all swords/melee weapons/etc are registered but there's no licenses etc lol, lots of otaku own millions of survival knives and tactical swords etc
>>
>>71684
I read somewhere that there's a lot of paperwork involved in owning a sword over 15cm and that it's pretty difficult. And that only traditional Japanese swords are permitted. No imports which means all European swords are off the table.
>>
File: yukodatotsu-eigo.jpg (177 KB, 842x713)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>71656
>You score points based on the nice sound your weapon makes upon impact
That's being disingenuous. See pic related.

That said, Kendo is useful for the Japanese police because their training is strenuous and demanding. It helps their officers maintain physical fitness and aids in keeping them mentally grounded so they can perform their duties.
>>
>>71689
worse than the olympic karate rules lmao, worse than even olympic fencing scoring techniques, get real kiddo
>>
>>66411
Muay Thai striking
Judo grappling
>>
>>71694
Given how sword fighting in the 21st century is an entirely useless skill, I don't really know how this is "worse" than any other sport. Any Kendo practitioner will tell you that it's not about realism or practical fencing, it's a sport.
>>
Shotokan and BJJ.
I'm training shotokan since 1997 and I really enjoy it.
My sensei always despised "competitions" and focused on make sure his students learn how defend themselves and knockout people just with one attack.

BJJ is something that I know just a little bit since I'm more into Shotokan. I wish I wasn't so lazy to learn it, but I have a lot of fun training Shotokan and playing with the traditional weapons from the Okinawan Arts.
>>
>>71781
>and knockout people just with one attack.
We have about 150 years of people wrapping their hands and hitting harder than is possible bare knuckle that says that the one-hit knockout is rare. You are not Mike Tyson, you are not George Foreman, you are not Mark Hunt. If you KO someone, it will be from a combination of luck and accumulated damage.
>>
>>71781
>My sensei always despised "competitions" and focused on make sure his students learn how defend themselves and knockout people just with one attack.

Anyone who thinks they can reliably knock out people in one attack doesn't know how to defend themselves and would be better off entering competitions
>>
>>66410
Dumb question from a total newbie (never have done any MA):
I have access to a Wing Chun studio. They also do Kali/Eskrima.
From what I've read, it is decent at personal self defense, especially since I am not a large guy (1.8m, 72kg, decent fitness). Is it worth it, or am I in for a meme?
Anything to watch out for specifically?
>>
>>71792
>We have about 150 years of people wrapping their hands and hitting harder than is possible bare knuckle that says that the one-hit knockout is rare. You are not Mike Tyson, you are not George Foreman, you are not Mark Hunt. If you KO someone, it will be from a combination of luck and accumulated damage.
Zoomer education I guess.

Kinda funny how people like you are so removed from violence that you don't even know how to punch people anymore. I guess you know how to get punched though haha.

tl;dr: Stop posting, honey.
>>
>>71792
One hit KOs happen literally all the time in street fights.
>>
>>72456
no they don't
>>
>>72459
bro if i hit you with a good jodan tsuki to the face my fist will go through your skull
>>
>>72471
if i hit you with a good punch my fist will go through your lard
>>
>>72459
Look up all the fight comps online. They are very common and so are people catching murder charges because they caught someone with the one hitter quitter and the other guy fell and cracked his head on the pavement.
>>
>>72445
I don't think that guy is trying to say that you can't knock out someone in one punch. But what karate guy above is implying is that his sensei trains his students to do that exclusively, whereas boxers are just fucking around I guess? You hear this from TMA guys sometimes. That their art revolves around ending a fight instantly as compared to every other striking art, which is retarded. There is no secret sauce, there is no guaranteed way to end a fight instantly. It is better to assume you do not have a cannon for a right hand and train for that. If you happen to knock him out in one punch, that's just gravy.
>>
>>72472
nah my lard is solid, i sumo wrestle hard
>>
>>72503
yeah bro I'm sure that's like 95% of all street fights
>>
>>72456
Most of the time a one punch knocks somebody out in da streetz it's because some bogan sucker punched his victim in the back of the head from behind or a nigger was playing the knockout game with a 95-lb. girl.
>>
>>72441
Fast strikes, traps, and dealing with weapons. It's an effective combination if the teacher knows what they're doing. That's a big if though.
Many cops would do a system like that because it deals with parrying an attack and then trapping a limb, which is a great segue into going for a takedown or isolating a limb further to disable the opponent. I would probably look around at the students and the teacher--are there lots of cops in that gym? People that compete?
Or is it basically nerds and fatties?
Look further, do they do sparring? Does the teacher move impressively?
Check it out man. If you enjoy the workout and the style and the teaching then great. If you do not, this is not so bad. If you do not go you will always wonder and that is always the worst option, because you're curious enough to ask about it here thus you're curious enough to walk through the door.
>>
>>72615
Thanks, anon. Will give it a go and keep your advice in mind.
>>
where the hell do i go in the Midwest to train in sumo or ssireum? i just want to honor the gods bros.
>>
>>66535

OP got thrown out of the original /MAG/ server for being an autist
>>
>>71602
Not even full contact variants? (Byakuren, ashihara, kyokushin). Fuck
>>
>>72743
check this out
https://www.ussumo.org/map
get on the dohyo as soon as possible brother
>>
>>72743
if you can't find a club you could always try starting your own, start a facebook group and meet up in the park. If you wanna use mawashi, go to a fabric store and bye the lengths you need to make 10 and sell those to your group for 10 a pop and then every time you guys meet up you just keep the keiko/warm up basic, do a little drilling and then spend an 1 and a half doing matches
>>
>>71602
>/fit/'s respect
Literally who gives a fuck? /fit/izens can't even two pl8 the bench for five reps on average. Fuck anyone care what they think about fighting styles?
>>
I'm a judo guy. I'd like to learn striking to be more well rounded. While there's a boxing gym with a pro trainer nearby, the nearest MMA gym is an hour away. However, there are a few karate and TKD places nearby.

Can I learn to kick effectively from sport TKD or karate? Obviously, I'm discarding the non-competitive clubs/gyms.
>>
>>72798
tkd will do the job of teaching you to kick mix that with that boxing place and hey you got some kick boxing
>>
>>72800
So you would suggest that the rules of sport TKD promote a more legit form of kickboxing than those of sport karate?
>>
>>72802
they are both pretty awful. if you absolutely want to learn kicks, than tkd. sports karate is more "well rounded" of the two. i would honestly stick with boxing
>>
>>72802
the tkd place might also train harder than the karate place, not in there general drilling but their sparring is a lot more intense. It can be like boxing with you feet or it can be basically jazzercise depending on where you are at. The karate place might be really staunch and traditional and legit so go check everything out near you. They will probly all give you a free class or two
>>
>>72832
>The karate place might be really staunch and traditional
Which usually means that they don't spar and suck
>>
>>72864
i meant like they did bare fist kumite and practiced on wooden floors
>>
>>72767
the closest one to me is 3 hours away…>>72770
i would get jumped but ill consider it
>>
Bros I'm doing taekwondo just for fun, but when I try to kick high or kick several times in a row (only round house kick) I get a little soreness and pain in the hip and glute, speccially on the right one (left foot is my main). Is it lack of flexibility or just poor Technique or sth else?
>>
>>72883
Sounds like you're not stretching out enough. If you're doing TKD there is no way there aren't some guys there that can show you some good ways to stretch your hips out.
>>
Soooooo..... Is this general dead? I wanna ask a question.
Would it be weird to wanna do Judo till I get a black belt then move on to BJJ and hopefully get a blackbelt then too? I wanna compete aswell. Also how long would it take to get decent at muay thai? Like 4 years? I don't wanna master it or get good I just wanna learn defense against the average joe, but the Judo/BJJ thing is for a hobby not self defense.
>>
>>73260
You should do both at the same time assuming you have the money, time, and motivation. Also a Judo black belt just means you are finally decent. A BJJ black belt means you have trained forever and paid off your instructors new car or you are a highl skilled and knowledgeable grappler. Depends on your instructor really.
>>
>>72883
1.) Lay on your back, knees bent
2.) Put right foot across left thigh
3.) Reach through the hole in the middle and slowly pull your left leg towards your chest
That is one of my favorite stretches for hip/glute.
>>
>>66410
I'm considering joining one of those online Shotokan Karate groups for three reasons:
>1. To get a little more forms training when the taekwondo school is closed
>2. To learn the Shotokan forms and get feedback for form performance
>3. There is not a karate school in my area, only taekwondo schools
Hopefully adding just a little more practice each week in a different system will add a bit to my main practice.
My question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these online martial arts groups? What was your experience with it like? Will adding on practice with one of these online groups be of any benefit, even artistically, or will it just be a total waste of time and money?
>>
>>72775
/fit/ was the home of MAG for a while.
>>
>>73333
checkd, thanks bro I'll try it.
>>
>>71602
What about Wing Chun?
>>
>>68962
ernesto hoost competed in savate and said that he liked the style a lot and that he took inspiration from it
>>
>>72798
Do Muay Thaiif you can it meshes with judo very well
>>
Is it possible to kick-jump off of someone? As in, land a kick, then spring off of them to put distance between you? Or is this Hollywood bullshit?
>>
>>73544
KEK what do you think?
>>
>>69304
The style originated to be used while wearing boots. This is especially true for the transition period during the French Revolution where a lot of noblemen picked it up from sailors they paid to teach them self-defense, as they were often accosted by zealous peasant mobs. Higher class shoes had a pointed or rectangular tip at the toes and thicker heels, which made liver kicks, etc. even more dangerous. The general consensus from the start was only kick with the toes and heels, or you'll break the small bones in the middle of your foot and near your ankles. Then it moved to kicking with these parts of the foot because the footwear makes these parts extremely dangerous. Savate picked up a lot of cane fighting from this time period too, as nobles often carried one. In modern times, the combat boot, especially reinforced toe boots, are exceptionally overpowered when used with Savate. French anti-terror police are often trained in it, and are more likely kick you to death than pull a sidearm in close quarters because of how OP it can be in modern boots.
>>
I decided to get into Muay Thai and I'm a month into it. The days I have practice I dread the idea of going there. It's my first martial art. Did you have to deal with similar feelings when you were just starting out? I'm tempted to quit, but I feel like that might be a hasty decision I may regret.
>>
>>73727
what do you not like about it?
>>
>>73735
I think I feel nervous about exposing my weakness and ineptitude in front of other people. Like I'm dragging down whoever has to practice with me. It takes me a long time to grasp basic moves and I can't even keep a good stance yet, which is quite literally the first thing they teach you. I started off with another batch of new students and I feel like everyone has left me behind already. I haven't gotten in a serious spar yet either. I feel very lost and like I don't belong on a gym. I also lack the aggressiveness that is usually required of combat sports. I don't know if these are things that can be corrected or not.
>>
>>73739
why did you get into MT, to become strong? To learn a new skill? to get fit? If your choices aren't helping you accomplish your goals then it's best to re-think your plans and pursue other avenues. However I do think you may simply need to spend more time doing the basics, do you practice at home? In front of the mirror? Do you watch any professional Muay Thai? Everything you do in the gym you should do at home as well to keep it fresh
>>
>>73739
You're the one paying money for it. Stop caring about others.
>>
>>73742
It was to learn a new skill and to get fit with a sport; I already am in pretty good shape thanks to working out at my home gym. I admit that I don't really practice at home, nor do I watch pros. I've been restraining Muay Thai to the gym.
>You're the one paying money for it. Stop caring about others.
You're right. But I do wonder if this is something for me? I was hoping I'd know by the end of my first month but I still don't feel really comfortable where I am.
>>
>>73760
Combat sports are a terrible way to get fit/healthy, there's a ton of inevitable injury involved and it all adds up. You're either in it to compete or to learn how to beat the fuck out of people. Stick to lifting and running for general fitness.
>>
>>73760
the next opprotunity you get to spar, spar with someone you think you can beat and is smaller than you, and hit them really hard in the forehead temple region when they come back at you swinging at the the end of the round you'll know if it's something you want to keep doing
>>
>>73765
I am actually interested in learning how to fight. I think that's a useful skill to have when put in practice, and even if you don't ever needed having the sense of safety that comes with being able to defend oneself seems really appealing to me. I was hoping that fighting would enrich my life and make me a better person.
>>
>>73787
that's a meme, people that know hoe to fight are just as big pieces of shit as people who don't know hoe to fight. Just look at Badr Hari.
>>
I've been sparring with dude at my gym, I want to knock him out. Will people get pissy with me if I put him out?
>>
>>73683
bump for reply
>>
>>66410
in which martial arts being muscular would give me advantage?
>>
>>73792
Not a better person in a moral sense, more in "being more capable of handling difficult situations" kind of better person.
>>
>>73787
Then just keep doing it. What you're experiencing is normal.
>>
>>73687
I genuinely don't know, that is why I'm asking.
>>
>>73823
none of them
>>
>>73830
sure thing retard. a bodybuilder would kill you with one punch
>>
>>73838
reckon that was the joke
>>
>>73795
best way to end up without sparring partners
>>
>>73844
it didn't end up happening anyway we just laughed and punched each other playfully, sounds kinds gay
>>
why doesn't this thread get put to the top of the board
>>
>>73896
bump limit m8
>>
>>73907
oh we're too good makes sense
>>
Anyone here from upstate NY know good fight gyms in Broome county??
>>
>>73838
sounds like you need to do some reps at the library
>>
I wanna go up from 63kg to atleast 70kg as that's the most popular weight division in my sport, should i just keep lifting and eating more protein for this or?
>>
>>75157
or what?
>>
>>75173
i unno, do you have a better idea? Currently i'm maxxing out on shit like full fat unhomogenised un pasturised milk, and yoghurt etc every day especially on days i train
>>
>>75179
it's either make the weight or cut to the next one that popular
>>
>>66410
How do i punish people overcommitting to punches? Context is MT sparring
>>
>>73895
just wear appropriate safety gear?
>>
>>75443
Kick them in the ribs
>>
>>75443
use their strength against them and move in to get them off-balance
>>
>>72615
Same anon again. I've been to their training for 5 times now and not only do they really power you out, they take detailed care about forms, building up stamina and giving practices that you can do at home.
They're also really nice and despite a few bruises, I have decided to stick with them for a while for now. Thanks for your input anon, you did push me a little more to trying it out, and I enjoy it a lot.
>>
>>75443
Have you tried punching them back?
>>
File: 1638006081284.png (38 KB, 210x255)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>66570
>No, OP is just autistic
>>72747
>OP got thrown out of the original /MAG/ server for being an autist
>>
File: 1637791579197.jpg (10 KB, 215x255)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>68001
>Get vaccinated you stupid dumb fuck
>>68059
>Lord please spare this retarded young man. Amen. He knows not what to think.
>>68046
>you are not a hellene warrior you are a skinnyfat video game player. even though it would probably teach you something about the irrelevance of your personality and self-image in the face of natural disasters like a virus, i hope you don't get the cough. i know too many nurses and don't want their day ruined by another corpse.
>>68066
>I've never been to a gym or dojo yet that didn't advertise it as a good way to get in shape where the instructors aren't prepared to help fatties transcend the lard. Is it the most efficient means of getting strong and lean? No, actually, but you might find it more motivating than lifting iron or P90X.
>The only real arts meant for war are weapons-oriented. As for Muay Boran, good luck finding that anywhere unless you fly to Thailand and sell your boy butt for class money.
>Polite reminder in the event of an actual reactionary reordering of society you would be mandated to get jabbed by "your betters."

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.