[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 99 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Silverfags should be euthanized edition

>What is HEMA?
HEMA stands for Historical European Martial Arts, sometimes also called Historical Fencing.
It's reconstructing how to fight with swords, daggers, polearms and other weapons based on old European fighting treatises

>What does it look like?
Inside the World of Longsword Fighting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zueF4Mu2uM
Back to the source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBmNVHTmNs
Martin Fabian Sparring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QlbKfX84k

>Where can I find these treatises?
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

>Where can I find HEMA clubs near me?
https://www.hemaalliance.com/club-finders
https://hroarr.com/train/clubs-gear/club-finder/
https://ifhema.com/ifhema-members/

Last thread: >>59635
>>
Reading manuscripts is actually harmfull to beginners progress.
>>
>>64965
How so?
>>
>>64967
Not the same anon but because most of the time, beginners don't even know how to read them? Don't know how they are supposed to be used and don't know the context of production so they might take them for something they aren't. Most of HEMA practitioners don't bother to do the least amount needed of historical practice to know how to do this at large too.

You shouldn't read manuscript to learn how to stand in guard and throw basic strikes, just learn from the instructor directly. After that can you bother to delve into the text itself. The instructor should talk about the text when instructing though like "fendenti goes from teeth to feet" in addition of showing the movement. If you use a text, use the actual phrasing of the text, a fendenti isn't an oberhau, even though each system can categorize it that way to enter their own system.
>>
>>64965
Reading manuscripts is harmfull for everyone. Only qualified fencing masters have the right education to work with them.
>>
File: 1613746634361.png (134 KB, 470x375)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
Pls help me, I'm stupid
I live in the third world and I can't find proper fencing shoes, I've heard that basketball and badminton shoes are a good replacement, what do you fine lads think I should get?
>>
>>64984
Actual tennis shoes. They need good grip and actual ankle support to pull the shit they do at the top level.
>>
>>64970
So then if you live in an area with no instructors, and want to start a study group or club, how exactly are you supposed to start HEMA? I don't see any other alternative besides "grab a manual and a swordlike object and start fucking around".
>>
>>65019
Not that anon but I kinda learned watching some guys on youtube, so when I joined an actual club I got the specifics in no time

To be honest, I hate when everyone try to interpret the manuals, like nigga, you just downloaded some pdfs you aren't some academic medieval historian
>>
>>65019
From what I understand the original HEMA guys trained in every weapon martial art they could get their hands on and had real academic backgrounds in history and archeology. And even then it took years to get to a point where it was a real skillset that could be taught to someone. Some rando downloading a manual isn't going to get very far. It's like downloading a jiu jitsu book and trying to learn that way. You'll have more of an idea of what to do than a guy off the street, but you'll never get good that way and you'll probably teach yourself bad habits.
>>
>>65019
You are not going to learn shit from picture books. It does not mean you have to spend your life sparring to be a master either. One of the greatest boxing coaches was Ray Arcel and he never boxed. But he watched all the pros and coaches and absorbed what they taught.
>>
>>64940
Who makes a good polish saber?
>>
>>64983
>Reading manuscripts is harmfull for everyone. Only qualified fencing masters have the right education to work with them.
t. Catholic clergy circa 1516
>>
>>65070
And looking at Protestantism it turned out they were right
>>
>>64987
Thank you, my man. I'll look up to that.
>>
>>65072
Not disagreeing just gave me a giggle
>>
>>65072
This. Education and literacy are a mistake. They should be restricted to the elite and their families.

Everyone else just needs to learn enough to do what they're told, and to learn how to do their assigned job by rote.
>>
>>65019
You can always move.
But more practically, I would start by doing any activity you can that is related, kendo, oly fencing if it's available, or any grappling art, failing that tennis or dancing (barely joking).
There are online courses made by teachers, you can somehow get an idea of the basics through videos but careful since there's no one to correct you.
You could start grabbing a manual, but I would advise to select it carefully. Don't go into Lew, Vadi or even Meyer, go for stuff that is designed to be taught to troopers, like the cutlass one page manual, Henry Angelo's military sabre or Taylor's. Select a manual which specifically has single person's exercise inside.
>>
>>64983
i hate that they're saying this unironically in my country
>>
>>65114
Which country?
>>
>>65118
Italy. Hema instructors are rushing to get a fencing master licence because it seems it is required by law, here
>>
File: SZ03HEMA.jpg (91 KB, 589x1000)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>65069
A Polish fencer and reenactor friend of mine recommended silkfencing for me for synthetics, and VB for steel.
I am Hungarian though, so that's probably why he recommended a Hungarian smith for steel sabres.
I'll probably order one of VB's reenactment sabres by the end of this week.
>>
>>65069
I'd go with the Kvetun Easton III, strong curve, Polish hilt
>>
>>64983
Please do not pollute HEMA with your olympic fencing garbage
>>
>>64970
I think it's beneficial that they read them, then when they have questions on the writings or practices the instructor can answer them, give context, ect. It builds an increase in learning for both the students and the teacher.
>>
>>65139
I'd say the better thing would be to have lectures and analysis directly at the club. At the beginning, it's important that training get through the body, you don't become a better fencer by being a better intellectual that can talk about the manual. Until you don't even know how to stand on guard, through the blows etc. There's no real use for fencing to read the text. Of course, if it's intellectual process you like, reading is needed sure.
You certainly shouldn't actively discourage people to read the text, but time is limited. Early on, it's better to work on your strikes and stances than on reading the instruction manual you might not even get right, that's why you're going to the club in the first place. It varies from person to person, but I guess it's worth it to start reading after a handful of months at least.
Reading the text should be taught as well, where to start, how to read it, what is its goal as a text, because this of course changes from manual to manual.
People often think you can read a text from the 1500s like a book of our days. In many ways you can, in many other you really can't and you should know and teach the pitfalls. The way of teaching as evolved massively, the people who read and the reason we read and fence are fairly different as well.

Even though I do think that reading stuff isn't essential at the beginning, a teacher that says don't read, let that to us and wait for our approval is really to run from. You should absolutely read the text if you want, as a beginner that most certainly won't make your stances and cuts better because this is best taught at a body level, it must comes from and through the body, not from the intellect.
>>
>>65069

Ensifer is one of the best in the world right now (for fencing)
>>
>love historical weapons
>love shorter longswords
>20-27 cm hilts
>85-98 cm blades

>Instantly at a disadvantage vs any cunt with a 140 cm SIGI or Regenyei doing the helicopter

Feels bad
>>
What's the best companion weapon for sidesword or rapier?
>dagger
>buckler
>cape
>second sidesword/rapier
>anything else?
>>
>>65292

Dagger or buckler I'd say. Capes are gay as fuck and so easy to avoid. Another rapier can do the trick if used as a dagger, but a dagger is better for that.
>>
>>65292
One of those full auto Glocks.
>>
>>65295
>Capes are gay
Absolute plebian opinion
>>
File: Alfieri-Cloak.png (109 KB, 545x286)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>65295
>Capes are gay as fuck and so easy to avoid.
Capes are underrated. The problem is most people don't really know how to use them, so they just spam cape tosses instead of using it as a flexible buckler.
>>
File: Meyer_1570_Portrait_4.jpg (2.78 MB, 2162x1420)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>65315
>>65316
based cape chads
>>
Hi, this sounds more renaissance fair than extreme sports?
>>
>>65377
Short answer: yes
>>
>>65377

Save for eastern and northern europe, yes.
>>
>>64940

When I fight I get instantly blocked and I freeze. I dont know what to do. Like I dont have any agression and second-guess myself.

Should I just leave this forever or is there anything I can do.
>>
>>65381
Is it because you're afraid of getting hurt, or because of the pressure of sparring not letting you think, or something else? There are different solutions dependind on the reason.
>>
>>65090

This is what we have now though. Elites are taught different things.
>>
>>65383

It's the pressure, I'm an autist. I use somewhat stiff and hard hitting swords ( I refuse to buy in into the sporty HEMA thing, I have very cool and varied more historical swords) but that's no excuse.

It happened to me in boxing and krav maga. I get overwhelmed and I have to go through an insane wall of blockage, then I turn into literal Jason Bourne and become a restless killing machine, but that hasnt happened that often in my life.

For example in a recent tournament I almost lose to the 18 year old noob kid but I activated my almonds when fighting the class brute, and won that combat. I dont have fun either in those situations.
>>
>>65292
Rotella or Imbracciatura
>>
>>65383
>>65381

I would like to clarify I dont literally freeze, I can feint, block, attack... it's just half assed and predictable and pathetic. I've been doing this for three years and I should be more fluent. I do the classes perfectly.

It's just that I forget how to do anything and don't believe I can land good hits, and "dont know" what to do. It's an awful sensation.
>>
>>65385
>>65387
Consider training slow. Slow motion makes a lot of people frown because it lacks in some aspects of the free sparring, but it might come in handy for some training purposes, including your case. Going slow will allow you to have more time to realize what is going on and build your own actions and reactions. Discuss and analyze your and your opponent's actions with them during breaks. You'll naturally speed up as your confidence grows.
>>
>>65381
So some parry/riposte drills to get your self accustomed to defending against a riposte and staying in the fight after as well. One person begins by throwing a slow attack, second person defends then throws a counter attack slow for the other person to defend. Keep this going as long as you can and increase speed as you both improve at doing this. Do this enough times and youll be better able to stay in the fight beyond a single action when free fighting.
>>
What type of European swordsmanship is best for a guy who likes and has done Japanese iaido?
>>
>>65425
I would assume longsword but as far as I know iaido doesnt include any kind of live fighting element anyways so it probably doesnt matter
>>
>>65425
What is available.
What did you like in iaido? Do you want more of the same with western flavor or something different that is still playing around swords?
Frankly, iaido is so peculiar that it probably doesn't matter.
>>
What feder should I buy if I want to beat everyone to a pulp without any regards to historical accuracy?

My guess is the biggest ringed SIGI or Trnava heavy
>>
>>65387
>I've been doing this for three years and I should be more fluent.
I'm in the same situation and veterans from my club says that it's quite normal thing that happens. You know lot of things and have lot of possibilities what to do but don't really know what to do under pressure.
>>
File: ron_paul.jpg (18 KB, 480x360)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>65426
There is only the possibility of paired kata at full speed with wooden swords. Sparring isn't usually considered with iaido because most practitioners can easily do kendo for that.
>>65457
I was just curious if there was any weapon and discipline that had that same focus on efficiency from draw to slash and return to scabbard while maintaining any posture as potential for using the sword. Realistically the only HEMA group near me is a Robert Silver study group, which /HEMA/ apparently thinks is the krav maga of Euro weapons.
>>
>>65090
>implying that's not how the world is today
just look at the americans
>>
>>65548
>I was just curious if there was any weapon and discipline that had that same focus on efficiency from draw to slash and return to scabbard
The first position of italian rapier is meant to act as a guard used immediately after drawing your sword to defend against a surprise attack. However i dont know of any hema groups that practice from the draw with the exception of dagger groups.

Fencing is all about efficiency of movement though. As should every martial art for that matter
>>
>>65548
>I was just curious if there was any weapon and discipline that had that same focus on efficiency from draw to slash and return to scabbard while maintaining any posture as potential for using the sword.
There's absolutely nothing like this as an entire discipline anywhere in the world. Japan is the only one who bothered to develop something like this as an off-shot.

There's some techniques like this in HEMA, but it's usually like one or two techniques in basically a handful of manuals (Fiore's, Viggiani, Sainct-Didier...).

There's this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIZmLNNS08
>>
>>65548
Wait, so there are people doing Silver unironically?
>>
File: americanbear.gif (42 KB, 193x217)
42 KB
42 KB GIF
>>65558
Interesting. I'm also interested in writing lore for a fictional character that takes up a European sword in part because he keeps breaking his katana and was researching things that would feel like a logical transition. So far the Swiss saber felt like the closest thing.
>>65586
That's basically what I was looking for, thanks. Seems like Italian stuff is the best place to pick around for curiosity's sake.
>>65589
Yes, it's the group in the nearest radius of my home. Their site summary says: "...founded in 2014 as a member of the Medieval European Martial Arts Guild (established 2006), and until 2018 focused on the teachings of German Grandmaster Johannes Liechtenauer. Beginning in Spring 2020 the Blue Ridge Sword School teaches the the True Fight of the English Master, George Silver.
>>
>>65591
>Beginning in Spring 2020 the Blue Ridge Sword School teaches the the True Fight of the English Master, George Silver.
rip another maybe good school taken by silver
>>
>>64967
You should learn from being taught. That was how it was in mediaeval times.
>>
What's wrong with Silver?
>>
>>65625
It's evidentally an American school. It was never going to be good.
>>
File: knecht-1.jpg (6 KB, 162x668)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>65591
>that takes up a European sword in part because he keeps breaking his katana and was researching things that would feel like a logical transition
As much as people meme on katanas being bad pig iron blades that break if you glance at them sideways, they're really not that fragile IRL.

>So far the Swiss saber felt like the closest thing
The complex guard makes handling them a bit different than you would a simple hilted sword. Kriegsmessers would be a closer analogue, with HEMA people often joking that they're European katana.
>>
I found a tiny HEMA group near me on Facebook that does longsword and rapier. Hopefully it’s a good time
>>
What are some EXCELLENT makers of (blunt):

>Sideswords
>Arming swords
>Longswords

Should I bother with HEMA companies or should I go directly to someone like Gael Fabre or Maciej?
>>
>>65645
And yet noble commissioned manuscripts from the masters and learned from both.
>>
>>65771
>Sideswords
Malleus Martialis (Premium, exceptional in all ways, wide blade models are their best)
Pike Armory (Budget)
Kvetun (DO NOT get the Sidesword 1, it's too light)
>Arming swords
Regenyei (Barely acceptable)
SIGI ("Sporty", very safe, agile)
Malleus Martialis (See sideswords)
Albion (Their I.33 is excellent)
>Longswords
Regenyei (Affordable, old gold standard)
SIGI (The best longsword/Feder manufacturer together with...)
Pavel Moc (Equal to SIGI)
Aureus (Very aesthetic, sometimes a bit crowbarish though)
>>
Should dueling to first blood be reinstalled?
How would the average HEMAfag fare compared to the average person (remember, they are fucking useless retards who couldn't even beat a child in a fight)
>>
>>65771
Seconding this guy's recs >>65776

I have personal experience with the following

>Malleus Martialis
>Regenyei
>SIGI
>Aureus

Regenyei's are the gold standard for decent affordable longswords, but they're expensive in the US because of the monopoly Scott Brown of HEMA Supplies had. However, Purpleheart is starting to carry them at much saner prices that are closer to what Europeans get them for. If you're starting out, it's a solid choice assuming you can get them from Purpleheart. If your only option is to pay the Scott Brown tax, I'd recommend going for the SIGI. It's only a slight jump in price for a sizeable improvement in quality.

My SIGI longsword is great. My coach owns an Aureus feder and it's top tier, though expensive (if you can afford one, go for it).

As for sideswords, definitely go for a Malleus if you can afford one. I have a Malleus Meyer side sword and it handles like a dream.
>>
>>65790
>>65776

Thanks lads, but I said EXCELLENT. I know all of those and have some.

I'm looking for the very top.

Malleus Martialis too sporty. Regenyei too crude (and now more expensive). Sigi too sporty, nothing to do with the actual weapons. Albion is ok but the grip on the I33 is kilometric. The Royal Armouries version is ok but clumsy and heavy. Aureus is nice but too sporty and their model range gives me a headache.

I guess I'll ask Maciej or Gael for a sword.
>>
>>65790
>>65776

You forgot Ensifer lads
>>
File: 1630817106780.png (767 KB, 828x828)
767 KB
767 KB PNG
>>65781
>Should dueling to first blood be reinstalled?
Mutual combat up to and including death should be legalized
>How would the average HEMAfag fare compared to the average person
The average person doesnt even exercise, the hemafag has a clear advantage
>>
>>65781
>Should dueling to first blood be reinstalled?
HEMA fags would get exposed. Swinging a stick is not rocket science. You'd be surprised how many people are fast as fuck.
>>
>>65820
>>
>>65821
Okay fag. Keep reading your manuscripts. Karate Kid shit. Some dad bod boomer would end you with a baseball bat.
>>
>>65650
Silver's opinion on the rapier made him look like he wasn't able to hold one himself, and instead had to ramble on other weapons he was more comfortable with. Some of his statements were already controversial at the time he wrote them.
>>
>>65821
Based
>>
>>65823
I do martial arts outside of HEMA and work the bar scene. Tough guy boomers and gen-xers almost universally cannot fight worth a shit. Every single one them has a story about they were in a biker gang or fought off a bunch of bikers once because they still think thats what tough guys do I guess.
>>
File: secret_technique.jpg (81 KB, 540x438)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
The trick to winning every fight.
>>
>>65878
Based. The manuscript illustrators were straight up trolling you fools.
>>
>>65069
Kvetun's Easton-model blades are the best sabre sparring blades, Silkfencing's sabres are probably the best and nicest-looking overall.
>>
File: Kundt.jpg (841 KB, 1909x1163)
841 KB
841 KB JPG
>>65292
Dagger for rapier, buckler for sidesword, pistol if you're Michael Hundt.
>>
>>65893
Based cunt
>>
>>65878
>>65886
It's a "blast takedown".
>>
>>65823
>Okay fag. Keep reading your manuscripts. Karate Kid shit. Some dad bod boomer would end you with a baseball bat.
American education.
>>
>>65926
>American education.
Objectively best in the world. Deal with it, Eurocuck.
>>
>>65933
>Objectively best in the world
Scandinavia, Japan and Korea say hi
>>
>>65893
what a completely mad lad
>just shoot the cunt
>just throw your rapier at them and run
>use your trusty sack of stones
>just trick them
'If your grace wants to do a dirty trick, it is in fencing or in brawling, in dagger and rappier alike, then use nothing more than these words, "I won't fight with the two of you, rather only with one" and when he wants to look around, he comes up short, and you can thrust him through and through'
>>
>>65934
They aren't Aryan, so they mean nothing and don't count as valid data points.
>>
>>65934
>Korea
Lol you are clueless. They don't teach shit besides rote memorization. They spend like twelve hours at school just so they can pass the national exams and go to a good university and then become wage slaves for the same company for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>65933
Im literally American and had to relearn history post high school because public school actively made me more stupid.
>>
>>65925
"power double" is the expression I would use. Never heard of a "blast" takedown.
>>
>>65771
>>65809
You probably want the Balefire Blades guy.
>>
>>65936
>'If your grace wants to do a dirty trick, it is in fencing or in brawling, in dagger and rappier alike, then use nothing more than these words, "I won't fight with the two of you, rather only with one" and when he wants to look around, he comes up short, and you can thrust him through and through'
This is literally my favorite HEMA technique, all categories.
>>
File: sdfgfdssfdfd.png (580 KB, 688x1251)
580 KB
580 KB PNG
>>65781
>>65814
>The average person doesnt even exercise, the hemafag has a clear advantage

Pretty much this. Like if you gave a normie a list of weapons theyll choose a katana and swing it around like a two handed machete. If you even have basic knowledge of guards and cuts you can get an easy hit in.

On the topic of katanas, has anyone else noticed theres been a massive ramp up of weebs getting angry over HEMA lately? Is it because of that stupid fucking Shadiversity video?
>>
>>65994
>has anyone else noticed theres been a massive ramp up of weebs getting angry over HEMA lately?
No, where?
>>
>>66013

>any place where you discussion Hellish Quart
>/r/Swords
>any weapon martial art forum or community
>>64922

Id also toss it up that its popular now so people hate it too. Whats funny is it becoming popular and being treated as a proper martial art has been filtering out LARPer neckbeards who dont want to get /fit/.

But it has caused a fuckton of weebs to get absolutely assmad for god knows what reason.
>>
>>65994
Noticed the opposite, actually.
There has been a ramp up in people making fun of katana weebs, but katana weebs have mostly disappeared.
>>
>>65824
What he said about rapiers was fairly stupid, though not without a grain of truth. Rapiers can, and I speak with experience, be batted out of the way with a larger sword. Their lack of cutting power would also not help. Either way, he clearly knew how to fight, and showed up a bunch of posers.
>>
>>65994
At least on 4chan that image is pretty much the opposite of what actually happens. You can't even talk about Japanese swords without someone making bait or saying their made of pig iron.
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.jpg (78 KB, 600x450)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>66089
>>/r/Swords
>>
>>66094
>>66135

Its noticeable because its the first time you see pushback against the katana. Before HEMA got popular it was all too common to see myths like samurai being able to break sound barriers with their cuts, or that the "glorious nippon steel could easily cut through baka gaijin swords". I mean fuck, european sword myths are also finally dying too like the "The zweihander was for bludgeoning" or the "rapiers cant cut".

Theres also more armchair samurais than there are actual katana fencers because most people who obsess over it are either oldfucks who did JMA in the 80s and 90s at some mcdojo, or some zoomer or millenial who only bought a katana because of pop culture obsession (doesnt help every convention sells them).

I see more weeaboos seething over HEMA than korean kendoka trying to make "KENDO IS BETTER THAN HEMA REEE!!!!!" videos
>>
>>66161

I hear some absolutely funny stories from people who browse that subreddit. Its like 80% katana posting and weebs getting upset whenever a non-katana gets posted.
>>
>>66264
>>66263
I'm kind of ashamed to admit, but I do browse r/wma and r/swords.
r/swords is mostly people asking if their shitty wall hangers are priceless antiques, with like 1 katana post a page, sabres might be getting more popular than katanas there actually.

On r/wma it only really gets mentioned when someone makes a post shitting on kendo or something, people in the comments then go and shit on the op, but it's usually other, well known hema practitioners who defend kendo there.
Just checked out r/martialarts, found nothing of the sort.
r/kendo, nothing.
r/koryu, nothing.

The closest I remember is that some guy said that "It's good, but not as good as a katana" on a Skallagrim kiregmesser video.

I don't know, man, I think you are seeing things that aren't there, or you just talk too much to spergs.
>>
>>66263
I literally havent seen katana sperging since the early 2000s, get with the times old man
>>
>>66277
>>66281

Its pretty damn common, youd have to be blind or choosing to pretend it doesnt exist.
>>
File: ehhehehhehehhehheh.jpg (7 KB, 184x184)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>66263
People were baiting katana elitists on 4chan long before HEMA was something anybody who wasn't a neckbeard doing it at some college club was talking about it with any audience of size.
>>66299
Like furries, the counterpoint has been just as loud, if not nosier, for many years by now.
>>
>>66299
You remind of the few dudes who were freaking the fuck out about secret nazis infesting everywhere in the HEMA alliance awhile back.
>where are the nazis?
>THEYRE EVERYWHERE! DONT YOU SEE???? YOU MUST BE ONE OF THEM!
Im really glad i stopped looking at hema fagbook groups
>>
File: Jkb645.jpg (113 KB, 1080x1026)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
How far on the spectrum are the posters here?

I would like to start posting videos of my own fencing here because I need honest, harsh and straight to the point advice to improve.
But due to the nature of the community I wouldn't want to get the club that I am a part of ostracized because of the stigma surrounding this place.
>>
>>66369
I dont think anyone here would care enough to dox you and as far as I know discord trannies dont come to this board trying to dox "fascists"
>>
>>66379
You never know how things will spread.
What I am concerned about is people using this as an opportunity for virtue signaling.
The more vocal parts of the community are desperate for any chance they can get for some internet activism to put themselves above the rest.
They believe that HEMA must reflect their political beliefs despite them being not applicable or incompatible with other parts of the world or even in the same place those beliefs are from.
>>
>>66386
Heres what I would suggest if youre really concerned, set up a youtube channel separate from any of your known emails. Record some sparring footage for person use, upload it as unlisted, then delete it entirely after a couple of days. That will minimize the risk of it heing found on 4chan.

Alternatively just post that shit to fagbook or plebbit where normies go. Theres still good hema fencers who are total normies.
>>
>>66369
>I would like to start posting videos of my own fencing here because I need honest, harsh and straight to the point advice to improve.
then post it somewhere else, 90% of posters here probably never did more than a single HEMA class
>>
>>66338
>People were baiting katana elitists on 4chan long before HEMA

The same 4chan that are full of weeaboos and japanophiliacs that obsessed over Japanese culture and still does? The entire site is a western copy of 2chan you retard. 4chan at its core is a weeb site.

>>66344

I dont get me started on this, i actually left a HEMA club because they were shunning anyone remotely right wing away from the club (despite having longtime members who were sexual predators and borderline pedos), and also rejecting new HEMA info because "its written by a "nazi"".

I agree with you there mate, but those are the people who get filtered at tournies when they realize you need to be /fit/ to do a martial art.

>>66369

Post them anyway, another good option is the reddit HEMA discord, but lately the mods have been infighting since a tranny started doxing people for remotely disagreeing with them.
>>
>>66396

Pretty much this, only share with actual fencers because youll get dumb non-fencer retards giving you really fucking bad advice.
>>
>>66369
which kind of fencing? longsword? rapier? saber? sword&buckler? some niche stuff?
>>
>>66369

It's a small world. If I see you I won't say shit in person though, lest you identify me as a chan user.
>>
>>66369
It depends on where you live. It might not be advisable if you live in some Anglo city or so, compared to most mainland Europe. Either way, I advise you to make it clear that you're only here for the critique or some shit.
But yeah, far leftists are absolute cancer in this community. They'll go after people for the mildest shit while covering for the rapiest of motherfuckers. Not to mention their uncanny ability to suck the fun out of everything.

>>66402
>Post them anyway, another good option is the reddit HEMA discord, but lately the mods have been infighting since a tranny started doxing people for remotely disagreeing with them.
Provided it's the one I'm thinking of, is it really the "reddit" discord? They have a channel that links reddit threads, but it's mostly used to express hatred for that site. Many of them openly post here, and it doesn't seem to upset the usual suspects too much.
Also, how the fuck do you dox people when most of them use their real names and have met IRL?
>>
File: mag advert.png (230 KB, 1685x740)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>AbNEdHDtBn

We made a room in MAG for HEMA enthusiasts.
>>
>>66428
>discord
are you TRYING to get doxed? why the fuck would I use discord?
>>
>>66428
>Germans Unwelcome
I'm sold
>>
>>66402
>The same 4chan that are full of weeaboos and japanophiliacs that obsessed over Japanese culture and still does?
Yes. The same pack of nerds who love to pull rank and affect elite status with contrarianism. You idiot.
>I'm an oldfag bro, I've been here all summer.
>>
what can you do about a shitty head of club?
just start your own?
switch to another one that's 1 hour instead of 5 minutes away?
>>
>>66601
Beat him up queer. Man the fuck up.
>>
>>66602
not living in a third world shithole but damn I wish I would...
>>
>>66603
>scared to catch a case
You probably are Canadian or live in a northern Euro shithole. Going to prison there is basically timeout.
>>
>>66605
>northern Euro shithole
that without the northern
>>
>>66601
How is he shitty?
>>66605
Autism.
>>
I recently got a musketeer blade from HF-armory. How should I secure the tip before practice? Would just layering electric- or gaffe tape suffice?
>Captcha: TARAD
How rude Captcha, I'm just looking out for my mates health here!
>>
>>66618
Small strip of leather over the tip then tape it down
>>
>>66618
what >>66620 says, a leather strip and duct tape
>>
>>66369
I'm coaching some fellas training for tournaments and events, if you have flaws I'll help you out, my man
>>
>>66417
>But yeah, far leftists are absolute cancer in this community.
I'm fairly new to HEMA and the amount of leftist arty types and trannys is crazy. I wouldn't care but as usual they can't help but inject their politics into everything. Without a doubt the worst aspect of doing HEMA.
>>
>>66664
And god help you if they decide you're an enemy
>>
>>66664
>the amount of leftist arty types and trannys is crazy
from the anglosphere?
afaik it's not bad everywhere else (YET!)
>>
>>66754
Australia. This country is doomed.
>>
>>66759
that sucks, but atm I guess eastern europe is the only relevant HEMA region left that's devoid of extreme leftism and tranny shit
>>
>>66612
>How is he shitty?
no motivation to improve or do new stuff but also forbidding motivated people to do that (technical training, workshops, new weapons, tournament training)
lots of interest in the club for dagger, langmesser or sidesword+buckler but it's not allowed, only longsword or get fucked.
no motivation to advertise the club or do any kind of pr, but also forbidding other people of the club to do that.

Also I'm very interested in basically anything non-longsword and organized the summer training by myself ('private training' instead of 'club training') with focus on dagger, langmesser/dussack, sword+buckler.
People had LOTS of progress, especially in dagger but now that official club training's starting again it's back to longsword and nothing else.

Soooo, just create my own club and do the stuff I want or live with an unorganized, unmotivated tyrant?
>>
>>66800
>just create my own club and do the stuff I want
Do it
>>
>>66800
>no motivation to improve or do new stuff but also forbidding motivated people to do that (technical training, workshops, new weapons, tournament training)
What a cum guzzling fag.

Challenge him to a duel and take over the club
>>
>>66681
If you aren't a right winger or a Nazi (but I repeat myself) then, you have absolutely nothing to fear. Crowdsourced justice - the only kind of real justice left in the world - doesn't attack the wrong people. If they come after you, then you deserve it.

You...you don't deserve it, do you? Because that would be a real shame, destroying the lives of you and your family and your kids because you had the temerity to vote for right wing candidates when literally everyone with two brain cells to rub together understands that progressivism is the way of the future? It would be too bad if you got ostracized forever from the HEMA community for thinking the wrong things, wouldn't it?
>>
>>66908
This is probably just bait but I hope you get AIDS regardless for annoying me with it.
>>
File: app.png (230 KB, 718x668)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>64940
what are some good online resources
>>
>>66908
They already suspect people of being nazi if they don't have a rainbow patch on their jacket to show they're allies
>>
>>66920
It doesn't always appear for all phone types. But I love it.
>>
>>66920
Have you ever heard of wiktenauer? There's some stuff on that site.
>>
>>66801
>>66804
Ahhhhhh, I'll wait until the end of the year and then I'll see if I'm still in the mood to create my own club.
I will not be allowed to enter the current club again I fear since I'll be a traitor for doing my own thing...
>>
>>67221
>I will not be allowed to enter the current club again
Oh no, what a loss
>>
>>67222
The people in the club are great, the management is shit...
Maybe I can convince some those who aren't just into longsword to start the new club with me, having my own club but no members would suck
>>
>>67233
Well, I don't know how clubs work at your place, but maybe you can candidate as an instructor and have club mates vote about it during an assembly or meeting?
>>
>>67237
I was an instructor for a year but quit again because 0 wiggle room.
Pretty much everyone always asks me why I'm not an instructor because they love the way I teach/train, but the head of club has complete control.
The club's a dictatorship, not a democracy. But it's also the only club in a 50km radius
>>
>>67246
>Pretty much everyone always asks me why I'm not an instructor because they love the way I teach/train
Maybe you could try to get your own study group at least, if you can maintain it, from the sounds of it people would go for it so...

Thing is how much energy and will do you have to build your own thing?
>>
>>67268
>Maybe you could try to get your own study group at least
Tried that but no, wasn't allowed outside of outdoor summer training.

>Thing is how much energy and will do you have to build your own thing?
That's what I'm afraid of, that I don't have the energy to build my own thing and keep at it
>>
>>67288
>Tried that but no, wasn't allowed outside of outdoor summer training.
What do you mean "allowed", are you an adult or what? Do your thing in another place, in a public park, outside of the club, etc.
Now if you don't have energy that's another thing entirely. If you want to train something outside longsword, why don't you try to recruit one of the like-minded fella and work on that 1-on-1, at least there's less infrastructure. It's a shitty situation in the first place because of the club leaders I can recognize that...
You don't have to do it on your own though, try to talk to the others, probe if they are motivated enough, a study group doesn't have to have a leader, you can work more horizontally. The main problem is finding a place, especially in winter, this and other logistical problem, but well, love finds a way I guess.
>>
File: Meyer-nebenhut-rappier.png (402 KB, 520x429)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
any recommendations for a budget option for meyer´s rapier/sidesword?
>>
One thing ive grown to hate is the armchair HEMAists who only play Hellish Quart then try and lecture actual fencers.

>Hellish Quart pvp discord
>Some retard claims LARPers beat HEMAists in every single tournament and that LARP is the most accurate form of sword fighting possible
>thinks Shadiversity is a great fencer
>lulwut this has to bait, no one is this stupid
>Links a video of some dude named Mark Gilbert fencing like a retard at SwordCamp or some shit.
>look him up, find literally nothing on him except for his own website saying hes won multiple HEMA and LARP tournaments.
>Matt Easton says hes pretty good (but cant tell if thats in general or just the context of that tournament he did)
>Same retard doesnt fence, just does this weird "sword club" thing where people meetup with steel weapons and hit each other.

>next day me and a mate go to a LARP event i somehow saw on FB almost immediately after i mentioned it to club friends in our group chat
>everyone in awe of my footwork and the fact my parry cape can block almost anything
>friend borrowed a flail and shield and did Lignitzer shit with it
>completely dominate matches to the point me and friend always got put on separate teams
>made new friendos

I fucking swear HEMA becoming popular in the last few years has given more headaches than the fucking videogame community.
>>
>>67327
Larpers literally dont know how much they dont know. They swing their boffers, beat other bofferfags and assume they know whats what.
>>
>>67306
Oh, I thought you meant study group inside the club.
A private study group with 2-3 other people is what I'm interested the most atm, since the amount of organizational work isn't that big
>>
>>67327HEMA is just a type of LARP anyway.
>>
>>67417
Is it really a larp though if I don't play any role?
>>
>>67427
If you say you're just yourself when swinging a sword, you're even more cringe.
>>
>>67441
t. has never done HEMA in his life and has no clue what he's talking about
>>
>>67441
>be me
>swing a sword
>identify as myself while doing it
>somehow this is cringier than identifing as Sir Faggot of Analshire and making up a backstory for my fake character
Whatever you say anon
>>
>>67483
At least they're playing a game, unlike you who think to be an actual swordsman.
>>
>>67559
>you who think
stop projecting
>>
>>67559
are you a butthurt SCAfag who got btfo by a HEMAist?
>>
>>67559
>be me
>fence as a hobby
>call myself a fencer
Is this an unreasonable chain of thought to you?
>>67569
I really dont understand why they hate us so much.
>>
>>67579
>I really dont understand why they hate us so much.
not a clue
>>
>>67336

Legit tho, my old longsword teacher used to teach LARPers every so often and usually after some basic lessons the LARPers would improve massively. Mind you these were more "combat LARPers" so they did shit like formations and semi-realistic fighting so i think they were an exception.

LARP should have a 30 min crash course going over some basic guards and cuts. But i dont think thatll stop the people who do that weird "rapid bopping" thing they do to knock hp quickly.
>>
>>67584
They hated us because we told them the truth.
>that a ruleset with no legal targets below the wrist and 2" above the knee on down, has absolutely no martial validity and only rewards a totally artificial technique (ie, wrap shots)
>>
>>67617
What the fuck is a wrap shot?
>>
>>67632
It's a way to strike the opponents back from the front.
You swing above your beside them and near full extension you turn your wrist down and pull back in a soda m snapping motion to generate speed.
>>
>>67634
>It's a way to strike the opponents back from the front.
What the literal fuck is that faggotry? Why would you even do it? Why would you be even close enough to try?
>>
>>67313
Pike Armory
>>
I need a white jacket, one training session and my current one has enough salt stains to season a feast.
Can't wash that shit every day.
>>
>>67632
A sturtzhauw
>>
>>67670
>whatever the fuck this shit is https://youtu.be/cVh0DagxKoo
>a sturzhau
No.
>>
>>67682
That's a Falso Impuntato, but stupid.
>>
>>67683
Other versions he shows are more like a Montante (the cut, not the weapon), but once again, stupid.
>>
>>67327
I fucking swear, 99% of hate HEMA gets is due to shit that armchair HEMAists who don't fence say
>>
>>67327
Link to this server?
>>
>>65072
This.

>>65090
Actually the reason was that people weren't educated enough so they were unable to interpret the Bible correctly, which resulted in heresies spreading.
Listening to experts > going at it yourself
>>
File: E876L3-VUAAUSCy.jpg (53 KB, 600x800)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>67779
>Listening to experts > going at it yourself
TRUST THE SCIENCE!
>>
>>67812
Isn't that what you doing? Going by studies and what doctors say? Or do you have a laboratory where you inspect blood samples of vaxxed people yourself?
>>
>>67855
Being a based schizo I rely on visions from God.
>>
>>67637
Because they can't grapple
>>
>>67881
Most hemaists can't as well
>>
>>67875
Based and revelationpilled.
>>
Is there such a thing as short term hema instruction? I don't have a group in driving distance, but I'd be willing to take a week off to travel somewhere and train.
>>
>>67913
There are stuff like events, but it'll likely be more like workshops rather than a proper primer. Or you could try to get private instruction but you'll need to find a reliable teacher first.
What is your need/desire to learn fencing short term exactly? Fencing is a social activity first and foremost and it's supposed to be done as long as you can, it's not like some sort of a quick formation for a job, it's a hobby, long-haul and all.

Find yourself someone who can teach you Dall'Agocchie quick course fencing, it's the actual historical precedent for what you're looking for, but you won't learn anything deep in even a month, just some tricks.

You might as well find another fella and unroll into online teaching.
>>
>>67913

The best thing you can do is start a group of your own. Find a friend and get to work, basically. Here are some tips if you do that:
>1. Enroll in online courses
There are some really fucking good ones these days. Which one depends on what sort of fencing you want to do. There are also some pretty good instructional videos on youtube these days, bear in mind there's also a lot of horseshit though.
>2. Attend local events
The worst thing you can do is insulate yourself from the wider HEMA world, so go to events and try to learn as much as possible to bring back home. There is such thing as a week-long fencing camp in some regions, which is pretty much what you're asking for, but I only know of ones in Yurop. Most others are long weekends and such.
>3. Focus on physical conditioning
In order to do HEMA properly, you can't get around it. The techniques require you to be fit in order for you to be able to execute them. "Technique vs fitness" is a false dichotomy. Therefore, working on your fitness is a great way to start when you don't know shit about fencing yet.
>4. Body awareness
I don't mean any sort of esoteric shit here: What I mean is that you need to have good coordination, it'll save anyone teaching you a lot of nerves. Too many motherfuckers these days can't tell their left leg from their right.
>5. Check out the sources
Wiktenauer is a great place to start. Don't try to interpret them as a beginner, you'll come up with dumb shit. Instead, explore the different styles and try to find out what you might want to study.
>>
>>67875
/pol/ isn't God and shitposts aren't visions, kid.
>>
>>67918
>Don't try to interpret them as a beginner, you'll come up with dumb shit.
As a German, most English versions of German treatises have glaring mistakes. One should try the techniques and see what works, this is usually the correct interpretation.

eg. Johann Georg Paschen:
>Text says "stoss", which means thrust or punch
>English translation says "push"
>>
>>67921
Also 90% of techniques are found in alive martial arts so you can just copy them from judo, muay thai, sambo and whatever.
>>
>>67913
>Is there such a thing as short term hema instruction?
Look up Cassani's and Monesi's fencing manuals. If you want to fight like a renaissance condottiere, there is no need to go the civilian Fechtschul route, just do some simple shadow fencing and lots of sparring, that's how men at arms did it back then, too.
>>
>>67923
Also yes, this is similar to some modern eskrima styles from the philippines. FMA began when Italian Jesuits and mercenaries serving the Spanish crown trained indigenous militias to fight against muslim pirates from the northern islands. The whole cinco teros stuff is basically southern euro military fencing.
>>
>>67916
>>67918

Thanks for the replies, I didn't expect online courses to be a serious option. I'm mainly interested in sword and buckler.
>>
File: Marozzo Collage.png (1.43 MB, 1008x798)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>>67926
You'll probably want to study the Bolognese tradition. It's not only based on sword and buckler as its main weapon set, it also has a shitload more weapons that you can expand into. Also, unlike I.33 it's actually good.
>>
>>67933
Yeah, thats the feeling I was getting about I.33, what I really want is like arming sword with heater, but that doesn't exist. I figure the bolognese sword with rotella is the closest I'll get.
>>
>>67935
>arming sword with heater
Knight wannabe detected. Another larper joins the ranks.
>>
>>67939
There is literally nothing wrong woth wanting to study sword and shield.

Unrelated, what is the best longsword source and why is it ringeck?
>>
>>67909
The difference is one group follows written manuscripts and one just figures it out. One knows that they should grapple but either stuck and don't train it and or their ruleset excludes it for safety and they other swings a stick at themselves really fast.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with hemaists wearing kilts?
>>
>>68039
why, are some of them not wearing theirs?
>>
>>68039
picture please?
I'm not quite sure what you mean
>>
>>68039
They're Scottish, anon, I'm afraid there is no known cure except euthanasia or advanced TRT.
>>
File: E7CGyXVUUAE3wH6.jpg (209 KB, 1917x1080)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
People always talk about muh strength and conditioning, but what about muh basic movement skills?
Time and again I'm fucking impressed at how many people can't move at all, they can't even tell their fucking feet apart from one-another. I'm surprised such people have even lived this long as half of them feel like they lack the coordination to even chew their food!
The entire debate about "should you just teach footwork first or bladework or both" is fucking moot when the motherfucker can't even stand or walk right.
>>
>>68069
People don't even know how to breath. In my old club I spent some time doing walking and breathing exercises to help people with that.
>>
>>68069

Yep fencing is 80% leg work. But that isnt cool like swords are and doesnt sell.

Someone with months of legwork and two days of sword moves will be better than any autistic hemafag with no footwork
>>
>>68081
>don't even know how to breath
What the fuck and how?
>>
>>68163
A lot of beginners hold their breath at times, and on the other hand i've also seen someone hyperventilating a few times.
>>
>>68146
You misunderstood me. I meant that even trying to teach footwork is too much for such people. Basic steps and lunges are too complicated. You need to teach them to stand; not in any fencing stance, but just to stand like a normal healthy human being. Then you need to teach them to walk and what balance is and everything all over again, otherwise teaching anything fencing related is a fool's errand.
Modern people too often are office-based or couch potatos, and half the Zoomer youth seems not to have learned how to move in the first place. It's like they don't know they have bodies.

It's fucking crazy.
>>
>>68165
You don't need a healthy and fully functional body to rank up in Fortnite boomer.
>>
>>68165
My old club encouraged historical foot ware since we did most classes in the grass and if you didn't have proper footwork you would slip.
>>
>>68163
>t. Someone who doesnt know how to breathe
>>
>>68163
Be wary of who tries to teach you about breathing.
There is some legitimacy to it but there are also some people that will claim you'll get magical powers if you follow their breathing method.

If you have done some endurance training then you probably know how to breath and don't need the breath in your ass out the mouth techniques.
>>
>>68218
Its not, as far as I know, an authentic part of HEMA, but special breathing techniques are a big part of many eastern martial arts, and its not about magic powers, its about controlling tension and relaxation patterns within the body. Of course there is plenty of weird stuff out there based on misunderstandings or just stuff someone made up.
>>
>>68228
Its a part of all sports, eastern arts just making it sound more esoteric for cutlural reasons. The "kiai" is not an onomonipea, the word combines the kanji's for "gathering" and "energy". In other words, shouting as you exert yourself os supposed to be a means of gathering strength and courage for doing your techniqie. Functionally, its no different than exhaling when you throw a punch. It keeps you breathing rather than many peoples natural reaction to hold their breath and gas them selves out as they exert themselves.
>>
>imagine calling a magical power not forgetting to breath
>>
>>68233
I don't want to go into he weeds, but kiai is more than just breathing out, its not just shouting either, but I was talking more about specific breathing exercises. They are often related to kiai but not the same thing. You might do them while meditating or just in your spare time.

The description were not made to be esoteric, any more than some European manuscripts discussing the humors were trying to be esoteric. They were trying to describe real concepts using terms that educated people at the time would understand.
>>
>>68236
>I don't want to go into he weeds
Get into the weeds, im legitimately interested. Most American practioners dont even know that japanese has homophones with different kanji (I once read an article that said ki (energy) shared the same definition as tree and justified it as you being rooted despite the two words being written completely differently.) But my japanese isnt proficient enough to ask native practioners for answers.
>>
>Breathing at all instead of embracing nobreath
Fucking hilarious. I'll bet you gelatinous modernized nu-males haven't given up masturbation either. Enjoy your closed black sun access port.
>>
>>68264
>he isnt even nolife yet
I killed myself three weeks ago and have never felt better
>>
>>68249
Well its a pretty open thing. Just like their are differences between different manuals, but also overlap, there were differences in terminology and use, even within Japanese arts, and if you include Chinese methods it gets even more confusing considering the overlap. While the "ki" "tree" thing is weird, and probably wrong, there are some schools that would consider being rooted as related to proper kiai.

Many schools teach methods of breathing which are at the very least unnatural, and expect students to practice them enough that they will still use them under stress.
For instance one famous school teaches a form of breathing with a sharp inhale with the mouth followed by a slow exhale through the nose. They combine this with a physical conditioning regime consisting of repeated practice cuts. Another school goes further, with multiple methods of breathing and specialized exercises meant to increase postural integrity, balance and control.

Since each school, and in cases of big modern arts with multiple teaching lines like Aikido and Kendo, have their own training methods, goals and definitions your not really going to get one answer, ever. Its more like an area of study t hat ranges from simply shouting as you attack to physical conditioning regimes, to meditation taken from Buddhism.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1629898253618.jpg (81 KB, 680x679)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>68267
>While the "ki" "tree" thing is weird, and probably wrong, there are some schools that would consider being rooted as related to proper kiai.
If there is any japanese use of the comparison its probably a pun. From what I know about nip literature and media they love puns.

Appreciste the info though. I have nothing of substance to add
>>
What's the most based military sabre style?
>>
>>68280
This doesn't sound like a pun from a native speaker it sounds like a western guy hearing that 'ki' is the way you say both tree and energy and coming up with some ass-pull explanation for that. This kind of spurious linguistics is super common. Martial arts instructors are especially susceptible to contrived bullshit like this since they're used to people shutting up when they talk and trusting their every word.
>>
>>68316
Italian saber was practiced by mussolini which triggers the libs. On the other hand Polish and Hungarian saber have a tendancy to draw nationalistic fervour so take your pick.
>>
File: mussolini saber.jpg (55 KB, 450x948)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>68324
February 21st, 1928
>>
>>68329
looks a little . . . hand drawn
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (59 KB, 512x330)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>68338
no u
>>
>>68329
was he any good though?
>>
>>68354
According to propaganda, yes, of course.
But actually you can see him moving his legs before the arm and/or not extending the arm multiple times
https://youtu.be/fNOpVgWAWkY
https://youtu.be/l_l0fA1O46I
https://youtu.be/i3gERf2NaSw
>>
>>68249
>Most American practioners dont even know that japanese has homophones with different kanji (I once read an article that said ki (energy) shared the same definition as tree and justified it as you being rooted despite the two words being written completely differently.) But my japanese isnt proficient enough to ask native practioners for answers.
This is silly, the ideogram for "ki/qi" is 気, there's no tree in there, not even a radical. In the oldest version, 氣 there's a semblance of the tree (木) ideogram: 米, but it's another radical, for rice. There's no tree anywhere, this is just another people not getting some very very basic rules of japanese and chinese. Go look at how many homonyms there are in japanese for the sound "shin" and "ken"... If people don't get that and don't quote the kanji, it's worthless.

Japanese love to make puns about that, there are many kata names that are puns in that regard, and getting them can help you understand some of the stuff better somehow.
>>
>>68358
Anyway he also fought and won five duels before rising to power, so he was not too bad at fencing
>>
What HEMA style would be most applicable to tulwars?
>>
>>68490
dussack or messer I guess?
Maybe cutlass
>>
>>68490
You can probably use linear styles like sabre and cutlass but I imagine that passing footwork is more suited to it, so as the other anon said, messer / dussack is both the best and only answer really...
>>
>>66800
Why are you even at this shitty club? Of course change clubs, or start a new one.
>>
>>67579
SCAfags are assblasted about HEMA because we surpassed them in every way, is the short answer. This is amazingly not even shitposting, it's literally true. They're not systematic in their practice, they don't train historically and they still mainly swing rattan around in armor with a completely absurd ruleset a decade after HEMA made safe and historical steel weapons widely available.
>>
>>68233
>onomonipea
>>
>>68623
>Why are you even at this shitty club? Of course change clubs
There are no other clubs within 100km

>or start a new one
Will eventually do that
>>
>>68624
>they don't train historically
Neither do you lol. Mainly because we don't really know how Fechtschulfags trained, let alone actual men at arms.
>>
>>68358
>But actually you can see him moving his legs before the arm and/or not extending the arm multiple times
Technique that works is correct technique. He was a successful duellist so what he did was by definition correct, just unorthodox.
>>
>>68316
Singlestick. Easy, fun, cheap, proven in countless engagements.
>>
>>68490
Saber. Tulwar is curved, needs a special technique.
>>
File: d90.jpg (11 KB, 200x177)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>68672
>be me
>going to the afterwork club after a 10 hours shift at the cannon shells factory
>just want to get a glass of wine which saved for the whole week and chill
>mussolini himself shows up with the journalists and cameras
>demands a volunteer to have some sparring with
>everyone else steps back, i get chosen as the volunteer
>put on half the gear, can't let him wait
>have to let him win in front of the camera or me and my family will be exiled or worse
>mfw
>>
>>68673
>Singlestick
very based, easy and cheap is always best!
>>
>>68720
Yeah but virgin rattan or chad ash?
>>
>>68742
I'd go with rattan if you have no protective gear except for mask and gloves
Otherwise go maximum chad
>>
>>68791
Be a real man, ash with no further protection than the wicker or leather basket and first to bleed loses
>>
>>68799
>first to bleed loses
Might as well just use sharps at that point.
>>
>>68802
>>68799
My bad, first to bleed from the head loses

And the point is that one hit to the head doesn't often cause bleeding.
>>
>>68804
With an ash club? I think you underestimate your weapon.
>>
>>68804
>first to bleed from the head loses
based Fechtschul chad!
>>
>>68805
You underestimate how hard are singlestick players skulls
>>
>>68249
Kendo practioneer here, I was taught that kiai and shouting are two separate things.

気合, Kiai, is a state of being. You are are in unison with yourself, what you are doing, your opponent, and what your opponent is doing.

The shouting, or kakegoe ( 掛け声 ) is simply an expression of kiai.

As for the whole "tree" "ki" thing, >>68280
>>68360 have it down. In a language that doesn't have many sounds, comparatively, you are bound to have a ton of homonyms (and puns). It probably stems from some old white boomer throwing their own bullshit eastern mysticism into the mix because they don't understand the language.
>>
>>68821
Isn't the term for everything in unison Kikentai no Ichi
>>
>>68821
That's correct. "Kiai" and "Aiki" are basically read the same way even though the kanji are transposed. It's where focus and harmonization of mind and action have become natural and effortless, which is why it's talked about as some lofty martial arts goal. All of the kiai in setei iaido, for example, are supposed to be silent and knowable by watching the swordsman.

The idea that a kiai is a "shout of spirit" comes from that being the first and only instance where the word was conveyed to the post-WWII foreign karate students in the occupying military forces.
>>
>>68826
Yes, although Ki-ken-tai-no-icchi is more centered on the practioneer's spirit, sword, body in unison and is a more about physical coordination of the body with the sword. Kiai is more of a meeting of spirits/minds between yourself and your opponent.
>>
>>68838
>>68821
What I have been told is that the shouting part of kiai is mostly a beginner's tool to make them breath at the proper time (meeting of swords or delivering a blow). Because it's a strong element, beginner's are less likely to forget it than just to breath efficiently. Also, there are many beats in a kata so that helps to set them up.
I've also seen first hand that if you want your partner to remember to shout/breath, you just have to do it yourself and they'll copy you/remember to do it.
The shout is mostly a training tool that is not needed to express the kiai. Although in a fight, if the opponent doesn't expect it, it also absolutely can make them freeze for a brief moment and allow you to sneak a strike. The trick only works once though, after that you have make it a feint.
>>
>>68856
>Kiai is more of a meeting of spirits/minds between yourself and your opponent.
Now that seems to be one only interpretation. I have largely heard that Kiai is internal to yourself, hence how it can be displayed in iai (you could say that you could represent teki yourself and unify with it but come on...). Kiai is the harmony inside oneself. As of how Ueshiba was using it under "aiki", there is definitely an idea of unifying both partners, but there's a difference between "unified harmony" (kiai) and "harmonious union" (aiki).
The idea of meeting the opponent (in order to surpass him) is referred to as "ai-uchi" (striking union), but really at that point it's just internal semantics.
Every school has its own way of using common words, that's another very japanese thing to do. Pretty much every single school as a technique called tsubamegaeshi or empi (swallow strike), because of how common the swallow is as a bird connected to martial arts. Of course, none of the styles empi will be the same, except if they are of the same lineage (Shinkage-ryu's for instance). Just because you use the same word doesn't mean it's the same understanding of the concept, that's another deception (damasare) which is a very normal thing in japanese martial arts. Hopefully we can just talk about it to make it clearer.
>>
Man it's really confusing when you're a manlet and you finally face someone who out-manlets you
>>
>>68883
I honestly love being pretty average, regularly fighting bigger and smaller opponents.
Keeps your fencing sharp (if I wouldn't suck that hard)
>>
>>68888
Bruh, are you me?
Also nice quads
>>
File: oh no.png (45 KB, 789x750)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
I want to join my local HEMA club because they're a Liechtenauer longsword school, but they're all either scruffy, rapey Hell's Angels looking guys or onions bug people with nonce eyes, and I don't really feel like getting raped. Doesn't help that they ONLY meet at night in the middle of nowhere.
>>
File: Screenshot_142.png (520 KB, 644x644)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>>68958
You think normal people practice HEMA? Where do you think you are?

Youll be much happier when you come to terms to the fact that youre a weirdo too.
>>
File: uh.jpg (33 KB, 317x311)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>68960
I'm a /cgl/ weirdo so yeah I'm used to being around other spergs, but not creepy rapey ones who want to meet in the middle of nowhere at 7:00 pm.
>>
>>68973
>7:00 pm.
>late
That's when almost everyone trains shit, people have day jobs you know

>>68960
All (non-zoomer) members in my club are what I'd describe as normal people, but maybe that's a yurop thing
>>
File: It's_All_So_Tiresome.jpg (68 KB, 1022x731)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>Teaching classes today
>one guy only speaks English
>an other guy only speaks the local language
Gee I sure love saying everything twice
>>
>>68973
The first club i went to started at 10pm an like Monday or Tuesday

After I moved the nearby club was 1pm on Sunday and 8pm Thursday

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.