[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 56 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: peak performance.jpg (11 KB, 259x194)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
BJJ and Muay Thai or Boxing and Judo?
>>
Wing Chun and Aikido
>>
For a street fight? BJJ is 'bad' for fighting multiple people, his buddies will just hit you in the head when you're in the ground grappling. Muay Thai is better than boxing, you have more options(kicks, punches, elbows. knee).

If it's just for fitness and the rush then it doesn't matter what you choose.
>>
File: noon.jpg (15 KB, 400x292)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
BJJ+MT for cage fighting.

Boxing + Judo for street fighting.
>>
do whatever is the most enjoyable to you, not based on some autistic "street fight" power fantasy.
>>
>>64865
Any hard striking art and some wrestling so you don't get surprised by a quick single or double. As long as you have some training and can keep a cool head in a confrontation you will be fine.. You would be surprised how many men have never been in a fight in their lives. The other day I saw two grown men fight each other over some traffic incident and neither of them knew how to a decent punch. It was embarrassing, my little sister can fight better than them.
>>
>>64865
Boxing and wrestling play nicer together than boxing plus judo in my opinion. I'd say go with MT and BJJ. Muay Thai is hyper aggressive to the point of having a slight balance issue which causes it to be weak against takedowns. This makes it play nicely with BJJ which covers what to do if you're taken down to the ground.
>>
>>65006
You suck at Muay Thai if you can't throw someone in the clinch.
>>
>>65006
Idk about the balance thing. A big part of the scoring criteria in muay thai is balance. If you land a big kick but you slip on the canvas it won't score as highly.
>>
>>64865
Muay Thai and Judo, that way you'll be learning the best striking art and the best grappling art.
Just try and make sure you find a Judo club that emphasises stand up and ground work equally - a number of clubs skew their focus on the former, meaning their student's newaza isn't up to scratch. Another thing to consider is whether the club teaches techniques that have been banned by the IJF (I.e. leg grabs), as the ban has watered down the efficacy of Judo somewhat.
>>
>>64906
Based retard getting OP beat to death irl
>>
Wrestling and Tae Kwon Do
>>
>>64974
This. 99% of people you fight are not gonna know what to do if you have a bit of skill, if you throw them to the floor or if you start kicking them.

Realistically every martial art aside from some are helpful no matter what. Even ones that aren’t full contact like Taekwondo. As soon as you start kicking they fucked lol
>>
File: 1630552394496.jpg (307 KB, 1056x869)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>64865
Is Crypt0eZbr0z an extreme sport?
>>
File: 1630740118728.jpg (263 KB, 2518x1024)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>64865
>>
>>65587
Is DC the best example of a wrestleboxer? He trains at AKA.
>>
Muay Thai and Judo
>>
>>64943
What is "good" for fighting multiple people? Assuming they aren't so inept and weak any man of average training could shitstomp them, they will swarm you and rape your ass.
>>
>>68269
If there's enough people all trying to get you at the same time, nothing other than being able to break free and run faster than all of them is really going to save you. So basically anything that will give you enough of a chance to break free and then run to safety, because fighting half a dozen people who are motivated to all get you at once only works in the movies.
>>
>>65587
>barboza
I lost
>>
BJJ and Judo
>>
>>68269
Running and boxing. Run, guy gets close, turn and throw a cross, then run some more. From what I’ve seen that’s the only thing that works for large groups of attackers.
>>
>>65593
Couture in his prime was up there. Especially with dirty boxing.
>>
>>65593
Josh Barnett
>>
>>68269
Well, Judo's Mifune took down multiple attackers once. Granted he was considered a legend in his own lifetime.
>>
>>64865
Turkish oil wrestling n naked pankration
>>
>>65015
Can’t out clinch a grappler
>>
>>64963
This is the correct answer
>>
>>68269
"good" doesn't have to be "guaranteed effective".
Only "the least bad option".
Yes, the more opponents you fight, the chances of you getting destroyed go up exponentially, but a Muay Thai practicioner against 4 duded will have a much better chance of at least getting out alive than a BJJ black belt, who can at most mangle one guy in hopes of scaring the rest (who can still easily punt him in the temple while he's busy breaking knees on the ground).
There are many 1-vs-many fight videos online, and in those cases where the single guy wins it's almost always a matter of movign around, finding the right opening, hitting, evading, repeat.
Unless you're in an elevator you can move around to make the fight a series of 1v1 rather than taking them all at once. Extremely hard and pretty much only works against untrained attackers. But still WAY better than nothing if you can't run.
How do you do that with grappling? Literally impossible.

If your attackers are trained, then the striker will have a much more diffiult time, but for the grappler it becomes a death sentence.
Therefore it's safe to say that for fighting multiple people when running isn't an option, a good striking discipline is the best.

And of course if you add grappling knowledge you're gonna be even better, just like adding good awarenss, carrying yourself in a way that doesn't make you look like a target, having a good size/muscle mass, etc. but we're making a comparison between the two here, and striking is the most effective (or rather, the least uneffective) one.
>>
>>64865
Whatever fits your budget
>>
>>64865
The latter is almost definitely going to be the cheaper option. If budget isn't a concern then which ever has better coaches in your area.
>>
>>64865
BJJ and Muay Thai if you're built small and light.
Boxing and Judo if you're a bigger, bulkier dude.

Muay Thai and BJJ are both designed for smaller, lighter dudes to use. Muay Thai relies on a lot of dexterity and fast, powerful strikes. When the dudes get bigger and heavier and bulkier, that kind of thing goes out the window. Try imagine Butterbean doing Muay Thai.
Similar with BJJ, it's designed to use the other person's energy and strength to aid your own, and emphasizes doing things as easily and efficiently as possible. It's a gentle, soft style of wrestling.

Boxing, while lacking the multitude of strikes, excels in what it does, and the basic science is so fundamental that they're barely impacted by changes in weight class or body size. It's simple and proportionally devastating.
Judo, while often labeled the peaceful way, imo relies a lot on just raw strength wrestling. At least, a lot moreso then BJJ, and will suit a bigger fighter more due to increased strength and less chance of an error due to less complexity.

Complexity of martial art is not ideal. Versatility is, but complexity just makes it harder to pull off reliably.
>>
>>64865
wrestling and sambo. See the guys with 100% win rate in mma.
>>
I thought Muay Thai was strong..... when did people start hating on Muay Thai?
>>
>>73519
Internet contrarianism
>>
>>73521
The weirdest part about the phenomenon to me is that people will start praising obscure shit like dutch kickboxing or catch despite the fact that they themselves almost certainly dont train it. Fuck there were people on this board talking about lethwei as of theres more than like 30 people in some unimportant south asian country that actually do that.
>>
>>73488
>smaller, lighter dudes
Does that include tall but lanky guys as well?
>>
>>73532
I broadly agree with you but dutch kickboxing isn't obscure.
>>
>>64865
Boxing and Judo:

>Fights typically start in punching distance, then go to standing clinching if punching didn't lead to a result
>One good throw on asphalt -> fight over
>Groundfighting and kicking are not common in street fights
Basically boxing + some kind of standup grappling will be exactly like most actual street fights.
>>
>>73519
When they realized it's just a meme martial arts.
Interest in MT started with Bas Rutten, who actually did Dutch MT, which is karate + boxing larping as Thai.
>>
>>73565
>meme martial art
As if the best kickboxer p4p didn't just get starched by Superbon
>>
>>73556
Ive never seen a school that practices dutch style kickboxing in my country. Maybe its more popular in europe
>>
>>73577
You are not Superbon.
>>
>>73597
You never know nigga
>>
>>64943
More options isn't necessarily better. If we're talking about fight 1vX I'll always bet on a good boxer over someone who does Muay Thai. A good punch simply has way higher knockout rate than all the other tools Muay Thai allows. Leg kicks can fuck people up but they don't knock out like a real good punch.
>>
>>73613
I agree and disagree. Punches should be the primary weapon, but in a street fight scenario having control in the clinch is important. I think about that boxing kid in the bathroom that opened with a sick double lead hook before getting slammed on his head by the much bigger kid.
>>
>>73565
How is it a meme?
>>
>>73613
Punches are strong in almost any martial art, MT has strong punches, they just don't scare as well, and most thais are not knockout artists, but boxing foot work and head movement only works against other boxers, and even now boxing has devolved into strategic hugging because after contact, some form of grappling or clinching will happen, this is common after kicks, punches, elbows, knees, etc, and if you dip your head like any classic boxer, it brings you much closer to taking a blow from an elbow, a knee, or else. Boxing is the most efficient within its own ruleset, arguably most people in a street fight will punch or tackle, but even simply slamming someone will defeat some of the most seasoned boxers.
>>
>>73708
>A good punch simply has way higher knockout rate than all the other tools Muay Thai allows.
evidence?
>>
>>73711
>>73613
>>
>>73711
Punches are easier to land more accurately and more often. I'm a kickboxer myself, but it is true that punches should be the primary weapon that sets up everything else.
>>
>>73717
I had a muay thai coach who tuaght that I should practice entering and exiting every exchange with a kick since those have the furthest range.
>>
>>73718
Not saying he's wrong necessarily, all coaches have different philosophies and methods, but entering in with kicks all the time can be risky. Catching a counter cross as you're loading up a kick is a possibility. There's no right or wrong though, even jabs can be punished.
>>
>>64865
Boxing and judo.
>>
>>73717
>I'm a kickboxer myself
nice proof
>>
>>73754
Shit dawg idk then. I'm just one guy and that's my take. If you disagree then that's fine. From my personal experience and from watching tape, punches are easier to land and throw more often. They can also be harder to see coming when in combination. Generally these factors lead to a higher KO percentage.
>>
>>73724
Fair enough. Im not really a striker, almost all my martial arts training is in judo. For the brief time I was in SC I took a basic "mma kickboxing" class from a muay thai coach and thats how he structured it.
>if youre in range to kick him, kick his ass
>if you cant punch him because hes running away, kick his ass on the way out
>>
>>64963
This is agreeable
>>
>>65015
A clinch is really all you need unless you fight someone good at grappling. Imagine this, you put a collar tie on your opponent, they chain wrestle from a russian two-on-one (could do kosoto gari here) to an over/under hook ((whatever they do) many options for them here) to an uchi mata (any takedown really if you only do striking) to an armbar/kimura (maybe even pin to punches if they are mainly a wrestler).
>>
>>68812
Yes I’ll train 60 years to beat 5 people at once instead of getting into that situation in the first place
>>
>>73508
Alternatively if you don’t live in Russia, this means judo+boxing which is basically combat sambo and wrestling
>>
>>73532
Lethwei headbutts means total victory for the Burmese, thais can't even compete
>>
>>73791
>instead of getting into that situation in the first place
It's not your choice but the 5 people's choice.
>>
>>64865
Sambo is the one mate. Kickboxing+ Judo
>>
>>73508
This
>>
>>73532
The hate for muay thai stems from the fact that clubs with the name are overpriced to hell and the fact that it is kind of larpy to even call it muay Thai in the west to begin with. So many competitions do not allow elbows, but still call themselves muay Thai and its not like anyone is doing those faggy dances before the match. IMO unless you are in Thailand or training with the this just call it kickboxing.
>>
>>73847
There are also those cringe Westerners who open up a gym and give out belts like it's karate or bjj just because they trained in Thailand for a summer. Sure thing, Kru William please take my 300 bucks a month.
>>
>>73847
Japanese boxers are just larping as real american boxers because... t-they just are ok!! Unless you're in america training with them and eating McD every day don't call it boxing just call it gloved karate.
>>
They all have their place. It's all personal preference. Only faggots who don't actually do any martial arts talk shit on other martial arts
>>
>>73847
yeah muay thai seems to be expensive for some reason. Too much conditioning and not enough technique. Ill do my own shitty workout routine on my own time
>>
I've been able to join a Muay Thai class, three hours a week for a monthly fee of 33€; perhaps I got lucky.
>>
>>74527
>three hours a week for 33 euros
>tfw doing 2 hours a week of full contact kyokushin for 5 euros with guys who trained with Filho and Hug
anon.....why is MT so expensive?
>>
>>74534
Karate is that cheap? Fuck, you're right, MT is pretty damn expensive.
>>
none of the BJJ people at my gym close the door when they pee so i assume its some kind of a male sex cult
>>
>>74544
Why would you close the door when you pee unless you ain't packing. I lift up my shirt and drop my trousers when I'm at urinals just to flex on dicklets.
>>
>>74549
to hide my squat plug retard
>>
>>74537
I paid the equiv of 100 usd for a year of training. I think you need to keep in mind health insurance and other stuff is a factor because a boxing gym costs very similar here
>>
>>74577
kek
>>
>>64865
All memes aside, all of them.

>Boxing for hand striking
>Muay thai for feet striking
>Judo for throws and sweeps
>BJJ for submissions and locks

The more martial arts you learn, the easier it becomes to learn another. If you've already learned judo and BJJ (and oddly enough, boxing), you can start challenging 5 year wrestling veterans after just a year or two of training. If you've already learned muay thai, you can become a taekwondo blackbelt within just 2 or 3 years.
>>
>>73508
That's because Sambo pretty much IS just MMA. You punch, you wrestle, you attempt submissions, and you ground and pound. The only thing they don't really emphasize is kicks, which is why the only time I've seen Khabib Nurmagomedov show fear on his face is when Justin Gaethje started leg kicking the shit out of him.
>>
>>75026
A dude won a international sambo comp with a spinning wheel kick recently
>>
>>64865
There are dedicated MMA gyms now. Just go to one of those.
>>
Manlet: Wing Chun and Freestyle wrestling
Skellington: Savate and BJJ
>>
>>75822
>Skellington
>BJJ
Have fun having none of your techniques work on anyone because they can just break out of your submissions.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.