[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 69 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tgmbve1ogaj41.jpg (1.52 MB, 4032x3024)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>
>>6441

Why does the scene seem so much smaller than back in 2008-2013?
>>
I have been thinking about getting a longboard. What does /lbg/ recommend?
>>
The only other 4chan longboard general thread I managed to find: https://archived.moe/asp/thread/850846/
>>
>>6539
Don't get a pintail.
>>
>>6519
Because most proponents of the scene atomized themselves over 100's of meters of asphalt? I bought my first board and promptly shattered my left leg so yeah, pain is a lesson I guess?
>>
>>6552
Greentext for shits 'n giggs
>>
>>6552

Can’t get my head around what happened to comet, used to make loads of functional shapes with cool graphics and now just make expensive retro cruisers.
>>
When does a cruiser board become a longboard
>>
>>6539
what are you going to do with it? Can't talk much about downhill, but if you're going to just push because there are no decent mountains near you - drop through. The lower the board is to the ground, the better.
Flex if you're not worried about rain, most flex boards get rekt by it. They are super comfortable to ride, the flex is not helpful for beginners though.
wheels: nothing below 75mm imo. The bigger the wheel, the more easily it clears things like sticks, stones and also retains energy through gyro mass.
bearings: best you can get. Clean every two weeks. I had a set of Bones Swiss Sixballs once, they were insane. The wheels would spin for a minute and a half if if you gave them a shove with your hands.

If I were to build a board today, i'd chose Sabre 180mm trucks, medium bushings on both sides, a Rayne drop through deck, 80mm wheels without a squared edge or 75mm Durians, the mentioned Sixballs or a similar hybrid ceramic set and dig up my old slide gloves.
>>
I’m happy as shit with my Loaded tesseract. My only complaint is that the deck is a bit too curved and lumpy for a chill cruise but I have my Loaded Bhangra for that.
Pic unrelated. Those are my old boards.
>>
>>6860
I wish I had bought a Dancer when they came out
loooongboards make my dick hard
>>
>>6766

Wheelbase
>>
is longboarding much easier than riding a regular skateboard ? feel very clumsy on a skateboard, like it's going to shoot out from under me
>>
>>7270
Kinda. Bigger standing platform helps as does a lower deck like you get with a drop-through. But balancing on the board for the first time is going to feel weird no matter the board. Just keep your weight on your front foot and learn how to push on flat ground.
>>
>>7270
Bigger wheels, larger area to move around on. I went from long -> skate and you place your feet much more by the tail on a skateboard.
>>
Is longboard dancing worth? I have a 44" but I've been pussying out too hard. Following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5O2C2iXbM
>>
>>6770
what if you just need a beater for getting around your fuckhuge college campus and need to be able to ride in the rain or through puddles/slush/mud without seizing a bearing
>>
>10 or so years ago
>bailed hard while going downhill, practicing for a race
>half of my back scraped off
>probably dead without my helmet
>just typing this is making my palms sweaty
Now I'm in a different cunt with amazing roads and hills, want to get back into riding again, will start out at small open parks to build up my confidence again and have fun all around, just sliding and going from A to B.

In the past I my setup was:
Some locally made deck, bullet shape
Otang In Heat 75mm/80a
Paris Trucks

Looking at:
Switchblade 38"
Easy Hawgs 63mm/78a
Gen 6 Bear Trucks
Spaceballs Bearings

I'm almost 30 so I won't ride without full protective gear, short of going full leathers, so I'm also looking at some Triple 8 helmet and gloves as well as knee and elbow pads.

Anything else that I should consider or look out for?
>>
>>8060
>Triple 8 helmet
I recommend the "THE Certified Sweatsaver" instead of the regular "Sweatsaver" or regular "Dual Certified" since it is both dual certified and has sweatsaver liner, and is only slightly more expensive. Also, MIPS seems to be a gimmick.
Oh and you might want to consider wrist guards. I haven't tried them but "Flexmeter" has some positive reception even though they are relatively expensive.
>>
I like this new board
>>
>>8079
He's getting slide gloves already so the wristguards are probably redundant.
>>
>>8079
Triple 8 has pic related which also includes a wrist guard, not sure how much protection they offer because the set only costs 40 USD.
I used their KP 22 before and it saved my knees from countless bruises and road rash, so depending on availability in my country I can go either way.
I used both Predator and Triple 8 buckets before, now I'm thinking about going full face.

What about the setup? Anything else I should be considering or is it pretty much as cookie cutter as it gets when it comes to freeriding and sliding down small slopes?
I was also considering the Rayne Demonseed but no one distributes them in Taiwan so I'd have to ship it internationally.

I had no money when I was riding years ago so I don't know about any nice gear, I was just buying used stuff from friends or winning gear on local races.
Literally glued on velcro to some old bike gloves and cut out some chopping board (glued with velcro) so I had a "replacable" slide gloves.
>>
>>8093
Ya I noticed that right after I posted my comment. I just now remembered the Flexmeter double-sided has a skid plate attached with velcro which probably is not great for repeated use but probably can be replaced with a nice puck and better velcro attachment.
>>8103
>full face
I haven't tried them but TSG Pass and S1 Lifer Full Face seem to be the go-to for DH. Pricey, but probably worth it for the peace of mind that your jaw won't break.
>>
>>8127
>wrist splint for sliding
Nevermind. Silly me. I need some sleep. Haha.
>>
>>7806
a non flex board that you can hit with some sort of clear paint so the board stays dry
drop through because few boards that are not drop through allow for 70+mm wheels
"cheap" hybrid ceramic bearings
trucks that allow the wheels to fit
75mm wheels, any brand will do. If they have water evacuation grooves cut in, you'll ride better in rain.
make sure to clean your bearings every two weeks if you rode through rain, otherwise do it about once a month, and dry down the board with a towel if it got really wet - mostly so it doesn't drip on to carpet or anything.
>>
>>6519
I think you can attribute some of the current spotlights to e-scooters/longboards/the thing with one wheel in the middle/swegway.
But really though, how much has it grown in your country/area?
Mine peaked at 2015. This was around the time when the OG folks who actually qualified for Maryhill and their cliques mingled with the younger new generation and we had regular (once or twice a month) small slide jams as well as push, slalom, and downhill races in my city.
Beyond 2015, I think it has died down.
>>
Is the precision truck thing worth it or is it just a placebo
>>
File: url.jpg (57 KB, 1000x1000)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>8196
whatever happened to these?
>>
>>8060
I can't find the Switchblade anywhere, and shipping costs half as much as the complete itself.
I've never heard of Dusters until now, but they have a 38" double drop deck. I don't know how they hold up, anyone with experience?
>>
Weird coming back into Longboarding and all the Downhill / freeride boards are all like sub 36” with top mounted narrow trucks
>>
>>9848
The next best thing I could find locally is a Sector 9 double drop deck, at least this one is a brand I recognize.
They both come as completes.

Dusters:
250 USD
Slant Trucks
Dusters 71mm 78A
ABEC 7 Bearings
I've never heard of Slant before, they also don't mention the brand of the bearings.

Sector 9:
265 USD
Gullwing Trucks
Sector 9 Nineballs 70mm 78A
Sector 9 ABEC 5 Blaze Bearings
I've used Gullwings and Nineballs before.

Which one /lbg/? Honestly the Sector 9 is much more familiar to me.

>>9849
I would have to guess it's because all racers have improved so much they don't need the stability provided by long and low to the ground decks, and they would rather have the responsiveness of short decks toget.
>>
Hey man not being a dick but we don't know shit about downhill or longboard setups. There's a longboard general that will be more up your alley
>>
>>9866
Ignore this, thought I was in /esg/
>>
>>9848
Found this:
https://old.reddit.com/r/longboarding/wiki/beginners-buying-guide
>avoid Dusters
>>
>>9863
Go with what you know unless you have 250€$ to burn.
>>
>>9895
>>9882
Sector 9 it is then. I have one more shop to visit this weekend to see if they carry any Landy or Rayne drop through as these are the two brands I trust the most.
If they don't, then I'll order the Sector 9 since their store is several hundred km away from me.
>>
25, almost 26
can I get into the scene? without immediately disintegrating?
>>
Any downhill skaters here?
Niche community but its super tight
>>
>>10407
even worse for me, i'm 34, no experience really of skating, besides a few attempts at pushing on a regular skateboard
>>
>>10407
what scene do you want to be in? I find standing on my board and going somewhere to be its own reward. If you're buying one to meet dudes, motorcycles might be more your thing. Find a bike night near you.
>>
>>10429
Longboards are far more forgiving than skateboards imo. I'd advise taking up Judo at the same time to learn how to roll properly if you fall off. Otherwise, buy a board, buy GOOD bearings and enjoy. There is a dude in New Zealand who started shredding at 86.
>>
>>10432
By scene I didn't mean the culture, oop
I just meant, can I feasibly buy a longboard and roll down a gentle, but long road?
I guess the answer is "yes" judging by your reaction
>>
>>11611
Start on flat ground. Keep in mind that your board, while not perfectly silent, is quieter than skateboards and thus you might get away with riding around in a cul de sac/ dead end near you.

Or you can do what I did, I bought mine in a mall and did my first pushes right outside near a crowd and nearly fell flat on my face.

Quick tips: Its easier to stand on the board when its rolling. Don't try to balance on it when standing. Figure out which foot is your front foot, place that in the middle of the spine of the board and near but not on the front truck aligned with the spine of the board. You want to eventually balance on that foot and push with the other one, but do baby steps first. push the board up to speed any way that feels comfortable, then rotate your front foot sideways and place your back foot on the board. voila, your skating.

Practice until you feel comfortable.
Realize that the faster you go, the further you'll need to lean to get the board to take corners. You'll see what I mean, eventually you'll place your center of gravity outside of the deck to take a corner. That's when you can start going down hills imo.

learn to footbrake. At this point, you can probably balance on your board with your leading foot. Drag your foot across the pavement. Now that you've figured out how to brake, you can start hitting hills.
Eventually wou'll start looking in to slide gloves, so try this: a cutting board and some garden gloves. Heat up the board until it starts melting, put on the gloves and push them in to the melted side of the cutting board. Voila, cheapo gloves.

A lot of /esg/ dudes have noted that corona is excellent for skating because of empty parking lots. That's where I suggest you should go to learn how to ride on flat ground where you still have control.

I found that protective equipment isn't needed on flat ground when you're learning to push, but i'm also retarded and bombed a 15% incline without a helmet on completely wrong board
>>
>>11687
different guy, but helpful info.
>>
>>11690
happy to help.

One more thing: when pushing, put your weight on the part behind your toes. Keep weight on that and spin around it until your front foot is kinda sideways. Mine is usually at a ~60° angle to where the board points. my rear foot isn't at a full 90° either. The more you rotate your feet towards 90°, the tighter the turns you can make but also the more sensitive the board becomes. the more your feet point in the direction your going, the more stable the board will be. find the sweet spot.

Note: Longboards don't slide around unless you force them to or the wheels are super old. Skateboards easily slide perpendicular to the axis of the wheels. Hence longboards are easier for learning pushing. Just because you have trouble pushing a skateboard doesn't mean you'll have the same problem on a longboard.
>>
File: based or not.jpg (307 KB, 1125x1500)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
>>
>>13255
That looks heavy and UV-unresistant.
>>
is longboarding really so much less popular than street skating here
>>
File: penny board.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Are Penny longboards based or cringe
>>
>>15534
I don't think longboarding is as much of a defined subculture or identity the way skateboarding is. The different styles also split up the community (dancers are generally not hanging out with the downhill/freeride crowd). Plus most people who ride longboards are just casually cruising so don't really talk about it online.
>>
File: a.png (500 KB, 537x954)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
>>9902
Ended up with a LY Drop Hammer, can't figure out which year it is though or perhaps the shop did a custom graphic on it (which is sketchy, could be hiding indications of damage or whatnot?).
Flexes a bit if I jump on it, but I don't plan on bombing huge hills anyway.
Fun past two days sliding on nearly flat pavement.
>>
File: a.jpg (165 KB, 1108x1478)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>16722
Can anyone identify which year this is? I'm curious because there was one release where it had bamboo + fiberglass instead of 7 ply maple.
>>
>>16723
2020 I think. https://landyachtz.com/collections/all-boards/products/drop-hammer-night-fox
>>
I wanted to get in to longboarding, what sort of board shape should i get i want something mainly for crusing. i was looking at these two https://www.longboardsuk.com/bamboo-pintail-40-blank-deck.html
https://www.longboardsuk.com/36-kicktail-blank-deck.html
im a brit-fag btw
>>
>>16890
Pintails are for girls that only want to cruise and don't care how impractical the deck shape is. So I guess maybe.
>>
File: arbor.png (670 KB, 701x765)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>>16890
don't think kicktail is needed for cruising. i am looking for pic related
>>
>>16886
Damn, how'd you even find that. I could only see the Walnut/Pinecone.
Also, let's talk wheels.
The sharp lips on my 70mm Supremes are starting to get chipped just after 2 days of sliding.
I want to get pic related but just in case I can't find it here, what other 70mm/80a wheels are out there with rounded lips?
>>
>>6550
>Don't get a pintail.
Get a pintail if you're a girl.
>>
pintails look nice, not sure what's wrong with them
>>
>>17130
>pintails look nice, not sure what's wrong with them
They're girls' boards. They're too damn long, they're slow and bouncy. Great for cruising and dancing, very easy to ride. Classic look.
>>
>>17130
They're great boards for beginners (I started just a few months ago with a pintail, so I should know), and I think they're some of the most aesthetically pleasing boards.
I hardly ever see anyone experienced with one though, probably because they're designed more for form than function.
>>
File: 1507157222852.jpg (45 KB, 375x523)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
why is longboarding full of a bunch of fat lazy unskilled mid 20's who never put in the work to get good?
>>
>>17249
Female?
>>
File: 11e.png (42 KB, 199x246)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>17362
>>
>>17355
See >>16027
>most people who ride longboards are just casually cruising
So you're not looking at the right "group" of riders.
In my case, at night when there's little to no traffic you'll find several people bombing down the street under the bridge, practicing slides and racing lines.
>>
>>17099
orangatang Stimulus orange. Price may be a bit steep, iirc.
>>
>>16890
pintails suck. get something with a kicker. the moment you rest a pintail on the tail, it's ruined. the kickers are going to be fine though. There are going to be times where you want to store the board.
>>
>>17441
Oh right I forgot about otangs.
>gf's sister has an LBL Crocodile but barely uses it
>gf borrows it so she can play with me
>sister now wants to join us as well
>I'm left with a penny because my gf can barely stand on a longboard
>also have to take turns with my helmet
At least I have people to play with me now, but damn I need to get her her own board.
>>
File: fags.jpg (15 KB, 320x173)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Get out of my board you zoomer fags.
>>
>>17536
>taking turns with a helmet
lmao wat
Do you just switch every full hour
wtf?
>>
File: madrid.png (1011 KB, 1000x1000)
1011 KB
1011 KB PNG
bought this, waiting for them to ship it
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 400x532)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
What do you guys think of this?
>>
>>8208
Sidewinders feel nice for flatland cruising because they let you make deep turns, but really lack stability at speeds, and there is not enough rebound coming out of a turn.
>>
>>8103
The knee and elbow pads work well. The stitching on the wristguards is super lame, it tears quickly after a couple scrapes on the pavement. Plastic guard is also thin and will wear through in a couple years if the stitching somehow manages to survive.

I've just upgraded to the killer 187 wrist guards, the rest of my triple 8 pads are doing fine two years down the road. I also highly recommend the triple 8 bumsaver. Your tailbone will thank you.
>>
File: a.jpg (365 KB, 1108x1478)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>17836
I think I can make it last longer if I wrap it up in duct tape.
I try not to touch the ground with my finger tips but sometimes you just can't avoid it.
I'll be doing the same to any exposed stiching on the knee/elbow/wrist pads.
Also these damn pucks wear out too fast, I'll be making my own pucks using chopping boards once these Sector 9 ones are completely done.
>>
>>18039
You can get gloves that have slider pucks across the fingers. They don't look too sexy but they really cut down on the finger wear.

I had some from loaded years back that cost a bit but lasted for ages.

Also, replacement pucks don't cost much (if you've got ones with velcro back). Cutting board is generally shitty nylon that won't hold up too well. If you can get slices of legit delrin round, that works out okay assuming you can attach it well (try getting it melty with a blowtorch and then stomping some thick velcro onto it), but good velcro isn't super cheap, delrin 3" round is like 70$ a foot and your time is worth something too.
>>
I propose a new combined /lbg/ + /cg/ thread as soon as one of either >>6441 >>7051 dies.
>>
File: EST8W-A1.jpg (200 KB, 1044x1500)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
https://www.redwoodplastics.com/3-critical-issues-you-need-to-know-about-these-popular-plastics/
>UHMW – Impingement
>UHMW is a great wear material at an affordable cost…Usually. The one place where it isn’t good at all is with impinging wear, that is wear from a mating partner (could be anything from grains, to rocks, to another sliding component). Impingement is when something hits that UHMW on an angle. With UHMW anything that is remotely abrasive needs to hit it on a 90 degree angle. If the angle is any sharper you risk very quick deterioration of the UHMW plastic. It simply does not hold up to impingement. Often polyurethane, which has excellent impingement resistance, is a substitute and one can be creative, for example only using polyurethane in the impact zone and use UHMW for the rest of the application.
The Powell Peralta Tail Bone is UHMW. What do?
>>
>>18092
http://downhill254.com/longboard-puck-guide/
>PU bad
>UHMW good
>>
how well do longboards handle bad quality streets/sidewalks? i watch videos and these people seem to skate in places with perfect pavement
>>
>>18697
Largely depends on the wheels.
Large (>=70mm) and soft (<=80a) wheels will chew through most pebbles and cracks, hell, even go up and down curbs.
Wheel clearance also depends on your board, you can't just slap on large wheels on any board without considering wheel bite.
https://youtu.be/unlm-Mo1las?t=75
Video shows 85mm wheels.
>>
>>18092
This is 100% wrong and also they're fucking retarded. UHMW is regularly used in rock chutes and outside of steel it's the best affordable material for abrasive loads of any kind.
>>
>>7777
Longboard dancing is exclusively for thots looking for social media clout
>>
>>6519

Probably because lots of people realized how retardedly dangerous downhill longboarding is? I had a friend that almost died because he hit some gravel that a car kicked into the road and flew headfirst down a ravine into a tree. He spent over a year in the hospital and has permanent brain damage that turned him into a completely different person.

Longboards are chill as a form of flat-land transportation tho :/
>>
>>18907
Wow. Do you know what helmet he was wearing?
>>
>>18912
I don't. It was like 10 years ago and I wasn't super into longboarding like he was so I didn't really pay attention. I was too busy nearly dying on brakeless fixies, lol.
>>
>>18697
Anon from a shit poor town here. They can handle some pretty poor quality streets as long as you have the space to steer around the worst of it. Just get large and soft wheels and pebbles or cracks will hardly be a problem. Extra protective gear couldn't hurt either, and don't expect you'll be able to go as fast as on a good street.
Sidewalks are a different story. Generally not enough space to steer and the cracks can be bad enough to stop your board entirely. Same with the sheer amount of debris. Try them if you want but expect to fall way more than on a street.
>>
File: notquitecali.png (1.16 MB, 1077x537)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>18923
i think i've figured out where i'll practice, on a nearby major road there is sections of a wide, mostly flat sidewalk/trail
>>
>>17802
missing hardware, although the smart move is to buy it at a hardware store anyway
>>
>>19322
Hardware stores are overpriced for fasteners. Get 50 packs on mcmaster and never buy hardware again.
>>
>>18918
sounds like you didn't need to hit a tree for brain damage
>>
saw someone longboarding here and they seemed to have no problem with the pavement, small bit of confidence
>>
>>15924
based but not actual penny boards brand, those are cringe. Dinghys and 121c rovers are cool as fuck
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXwBmGyMRo
Any1 remember this vid? Did major work getting people into longboarding back in the day.
>>
AAAAAA FUCK RAIN
>>
is there a part that could be causing a lot of push back from my board. I feel like I have to push to often/too hard to go anywhere and it's really discouraged me from really getting my start. I don't want to pour more money into my board but if there's a solid answer I'll do it.
>>
Anyone surf skate here?
>>
i put penny wheels onto my skateboard, does that cound as a longboard? and yes the wheel bite is nasty
>>
>>20441
bearings
its always bearings
Are your wheel nuts too tight? Are the bearings clean? Are your bearings just shit?
>what is too tight?
when the wheels won't spin freely. You'll know once you fiddle with them. Are the bearing spacers in the wheels? You need those.

In case it isn't bearings: Are your roads so super terrible that you need bigger wheels?
>>
Is anyone else put off by all the hippie/hipster shit in longboarding? It really drove me away
>>
>>20674
Hipsters drink water too, have you considered forgoing water?
Maybe you should just do shit because you like it instead of being a little bitch.
>>
>>20227
Rain is the worst part of longboarding in WA state. Literally can not go out for 1/3 of the whole year and it pisses me off
>>
>>20444
I havent but seem cool ngl
>>
File: cll.jpg (44 KB, 512x366)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
what wheels do you guys have on your boards ?
>>
File: bored.jpg (720 KB, 960x1280)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
got it in mail, just have to learn to ride it now
>>
>>17774
>>22530
Pretty dope. Me gusta.
>>
>all these tiny ass bitch wheels

sorry losers big boy coming through
>>
>>20674
hipsters dont bomb hills or surfskate they just carve all day on the beach with shit boards like this one >>22530
>>
>>22561
>he fell for the orangatang wheels meme

the apple of wheels
>>
>>22564
what's wrong with it
>>
>>22574
its a drop through board made for cruising/carving so basically hipster shit
>>
>>22586
alright
>>
>>22530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtsAGqo-V18
>>
>>22564
Is there really so much undisturbed flat ground in the world that hipsters can just cruise and nothing else? Learning to bomb hills was one of the first things I had to learn out of necessity.
>>
>>20674

>>22597
Is... is that... "hipster shit"?
>>
>>7270
in some aspects yeah. bigger and softer wheels are more forgiving on rough terrain and don't vibrate the hell out of your feet. you could always take a normal skateboard and put some smaller cruiser wheels on it. like these
> https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Slime_Balls_Mini_OG_Slime_78a_Wheels/descpage-SBOSMWH.html
longer wheelbase on a longboard will make it easier too though. the one downside is that you can get going really fast with little effort on a longboard which can end badly if you let it get to that. going down hills you will be too fast for your own skill in seconds.
>>
>>22597
Uber-gay! Trans colorway wheels too. LMFAO!
>>
>>22597
brb gonna bomb a hill just so I don't become like this
>>
File: IMG_20210308_173453_661.jpg (2.86 MB, 2956x2956)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
How do yall feel about this?
>>
>>22586
Its fine
>>
>>21137
I hate this.
>>
Downhill board recipe.
>get a deck without any gimmicks. Should be stiff and have concave. I would recommend any proper downhill board for this.
>for trucks, aera k3s and some venom bushings. Bushings a importat in downhill setups. If you wanna be cool like the new racers get some 160 mm hangers and grab some magnum wheels from venom.
And that's about it
>
>>
>>6519
Skateboarding in general started to decline after 2013. A lot of the brands went bankrupt because big names like Nike, Converse, and Adidas started to really get serious in skateboarding, and they actually bought out old school skating companies behind the scenes to let them die. Also, culture in general... most younger generations spend all day on video games of tik tok so way less kids are skating, the older generation is living normal adult life skating occasionally, the rest you can imagine. There are even less people playing normal recreational sports than before, everyone stays inside on the computer.
>>
>>23413
looks great for surfskati-
>those wheels
fuck off
>>6519
skateboarding is really dangerous for soft zoomers with their helicopter moms, fucking hell even downhill is too extreme for zoomers and longboarders used to be pussy version of skaters
>>
>Fell out of the scene in 2014
>recently getting back into it
>Paris and Cronins aren't the only usable trucks anymore?
>>
>>24939
Surely you were around when caliber were a thing
>>
>>24941
I was but the two major camps where always Paris V2 or Cronin
If any newbie asked for truck reccomendations they'd get one of those two 99% of the time and Caliber were a "get these only if you x" reccomendation
>>
>>6519
everyone died
>>
Someone stop me from getting the Basalt Tesseract.
>>
>longboarders
lol
>>
File: 3246321024839931075.png (1014 KB, 1146x362)
1014 KB
1014 KB PNG
If I try to learn to longboard with my brother's (10 year) old board am I gonna fucking die.

I want to learn to slide and shit but I'm gathering with a flexible board and with the type of wheels I got that's gonna be real hard.

....but can I do it anyway
>>
>>27588
You can slide on any wheel. I learned how to slide on soft+large+sharp lipped wheels.
You can slide on flat pavement.
You can slide at slow speeds.
Do push up slides first, they're the easiest/safest to do and will let you get of feel of what sliding is.

So yes, you can do it with that setup.
>>
>>27610
thanks bud I'm on it
>>
>>27613
Just practice in a safe area without traffic, and you don't need to go fast at all.
On flat pavement, I can do one or two big pushes then do a pre-carve then slide.
That's how I practiced.
Of course if you want to progress and hold out slides for several meters then you will need more speed, rounded wheels also help, and definitely not a good idea to go fast on a flexy dec.
Stay safe, can't wait for the weekend.
>>
>>27588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JuuF785SPY
>>
finally got my board, then two weeks of rain follow
>>
>everyone saying toesides are harder
>can do toeside 180, pendy, check
>all either glove down/stand up
>can't fucking do any glove down heelside
Kicking out with my toes is so easy, using my heel only feels like I'm pushing down on the board instead of pushing it out.
>>
Friendly reminder to make sure your rubber shields are not bent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBeeGABkB_o&t=795
>>
I just got a new job and it looks like I'll be able to commute there on a board. I'm totally new to it but I'll try to describe the route as much as I can.

Mostly a combination of road and pavement, decent, but not fantastic quality, with a combination of uphill, downhill and flat sections. Mostly straight lines, cause it's from an urban sprawl town to an industrial district.

I had a friend back in school that taught me how to push and stuff, but that's all I know. So consider me both a beginner, and definitely a function over form kind of girl.

Oh and it rains in Ireland, kind of sporadically, maybe a set of wet wheels and dry ones?

Price range wise I calculated that I could go to about 600euro and still make a profit compared to taking the bus. It'll be approx a 25 minutes or so commute, and I'd need to be able to do it back after a day of working in a factory, so it needs to be comfy enough to ride tired. No need to worry about stamina though, cause I can easily cycle 75km on the road bike my Sister's boyfriend lent me.

Any suggestions of where I should look, and how I should go about learning to ride it? I've read the stuff here about learning in parking lots and stuff first, so I'll definitely be doing that.

Also, are powered boards a meme or worth it?
>>
>>31709
powered boards are beyond your price range, if you want serious ones. Learn to ride first before you go for power gizmos.

If you want to ride in the rain, you'll need to make sure you look after your bearings and pick a waterproof deck.
Bad roads get tiring pretty quick, I commuted for a while on my board and was happy when I finally was able to switch back to a bike.
At push speeds, you won't need rain wheels. Haven't heard of anyone making any either, since they'd just be very soft with some grooves for water evacuation cut in to them. Just don't carve too hard in the rain.
Once you're able to push, its worth it to learn to slide in case your board does slide on a downhill bit in the rain. Landyachtz has a very good tutorial you can find on youtube. as soon as it gets wet outside, your wheels turn from grippy to slippery as hell at speed, especially if they are less expensive. My 87a globe wheels broke traction on the initial turn for a scandinavian flick in wet conditions on nearly any road after less than six months riding them.
Meanwhile my Orangatang In Heats 80a stay grippy until they suddenly lose all grip in wet conditions. That said, they grip for much longer than the Globe stuff.

So, to sum up: Get good wheels, clean your bearings after riding through rain, get a deck that can handle water. Flex decks usually can't. For ease of pushing, I'd recommend a drop through, and for ease of riding, the biggest wheels you can fit. They'll swallow the bumps. Be wary of wheelbite.
>>
>>31709
in addition: check whether powered boards are legal where you are if you decide you want to eventually move to electrify your board. There are plenty of places where it is flat out illegal.
>>
How in the fuk do you brake on a longboard?
I always need to pick up my board and just walk whenever I encounter the slightest downhill.
Are you supposed to pull off some crazy snowboard braking manouver?
>>
>>32872
see >>27649

the easy way is to use the foot you push eith as a brake pad against the asphalt.
>>
>>32873
I don't get it breh. I need to powerslide every time I need to slow down a lil bit?
>>
still trying to learn to slide ( >>27588 ) I'm a huge pussy hngg. I take too long to get into a pushup slide. Then I'm not bracing myself enough and just roll off the board after sliding for a bit. Also feels like I'm just doing a shitty turn with my gloves down and don't think my wheels are losing any traction.

Will try some more this weekend lads
>>
>>32963
between carving and foot braking, you should be fine on "the slightest downhill"

I'm
>>27588
>>33025

this guy and don't know how to slide yet but between those two things can slow down on light enough hills. from that same channel that guy linked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqaXxmb-8Q explains foot braking
>>
I have a decent cruiser board but I think it loses momentum way too fast. I need to be kicking constantly.
How much faster are these long boards? I just wanna fly with the least amount of effort possible.
>>
>>33072
Before going all in on a new board, what wheels are you on? I switch between two wheels, only for pushing and one for sliding.
70mm 78A 52mm sharp lip
69mm 78A 35.5mm round lip

These two wheels behave very differently.
A single push on the 52mm contact patch wheel goes a long way, while on the 35.5mm I constantly have to push.

Try large wheels first, either way if you're interested in a new board you're bound to get new wheels.
>>
>>33072
That's probably the result of bad bearings.
>>
>>33155
this
>>
File: skatebort.jpg (199 KB, 1504x2016)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
new bort
>>
>>33390
nice bort
>>
>>33390
That’s pretty sick
>>
>>33072
For sure bad bearings. Bones red are prob best bang for your buck. Also may want to get wheels with a hardness rating around the mid 80’s you can ask any shop selling them for them and they’ll know which ones meet that criteria.
>>
>>33390
for pool or a cruiser?
>>
>>33581
just going to cruise it for now
i just moved to a new town and it's still kind of winter here and i don't know the skate scene at all
>>
File: 20210405_225118.jpg (611 KB, 1523x1603)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
Hey /lbg[spoiler] t [/spoiler].
Recently I have a lot of tasks that require a dash for a short distance, like 1-2 km. Too little to grab a bicycle, a bit boring to walk, so I've decided to try a longboard as city transport. Pavements are mostly fine where I live so should be good idea.
So, bought my first board yesterday, gave it a try today. Watched few videos before and read this thread. Got also wrist protectors in the boardshop, decent kneepads didn't fit my giant legs so I've used shitty ones of foam. Won't prevent a bruise, but at least may protect a knee from being grazed to blood.
So, first try wasn't that bad, I didn't even fall. At first it was hard to make it moving longer than 10 meters, but then I figured ot how to use my fat butt as a counterweight and ride in flat sine curves. I felt certain pain/stress in ankles but after some time they became more relaxed.
I've got few questions. First, is there a butt protector? I have a feeling, that I will fall on it someday soon. Fracturing tailbone must be not pleasant. Second, can this thing make sharp turns? It feels, right now I can turn it about 30° max. And third, is it OK that it makes a bit unhealthy sounds? Occasional creaks while maneuvering happen. I am a big boi and though picked board theoretically should be able to carry my [spoiler] over [/spoiler]weight (in fact, I didn't have a choice in the shop - the salesguy said it was the only one they had that suited me), I'm bit afraid to break it practically.
PS: I grab it just by bare hand and now my phone can't recognize my fingerprints because the finger is scratched by abrasive tape, lol.
>>
why are drop throughs so popular now days?
i rode one and i did not like it
can't grind it except when you don't want to because the ground clearance is so short
and you can't stand on the trucks if you want which feels more unstable imo
>>
>>9863
I'm buying that exact sector board.
Putting sidewinders on it though.
>>
>>33774
They're great for good pavement and sliding.
They are closer to the put the board closer to the ground so pushing is less intensive, and they often have a large platform to stand on.
>>
File: 5.jpg (72 KB, 960x540)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Key points to consider:
Corrosion is one of the most common failure modes of chrome steel 608 bearings in skating. Calcium sulfonate/sulphonate(?) naturally is an excellent corrosion inhibitor for steel.
Tackiness seems to be a quality possessed by the vast majority of high/extreme pressure greases available on the market. Apparently this one at least has no tackifier additives.
>>
Why are all the images in this thread broken?
>>
>>34359
they work for me
>>
>>33767
skater's thumb. had it for 20 years. if you skate at least everyother day for a good amount of time, you will get to the point where your risk of falling from simply cruising will be pretty low. can probably get to that point in less than a year.
>>
>>33767
noise you hear is probably just the bushings on the trucks, pretty normal.just inspect them every so often for cracking. as for butt pads, I'm sure there is something specifically for your tail bone only, but you could think outside the box and get ice hockey pads. they look like marshmallow padded shorts though, can't really wear them under pants. you don't feel a damn thing if you bust your ass in them though.
>>
Still learning to slide, broke traction for the first time on a glove down front side.

I must just be wussing out of putting my weight on my hands/far enough out on a push up slide I still can't start actually sliding
>>
>>32963
>I need to powerslide every time I need to slow down a lil bit?
No just put your foot down and drag it along the ground to slow down
If you're asking how to footbrake I doubt you're going fast enough to need a slide
>>
>>33774
Why are you grinding a longboard?
>>
>>33579
I'm ride or die for Zealous bearings personally
>>
>>34720
why not?
>>
>>34722
You are retarded
>>
>>34728
you have no skill
>>
>>34732
Post a video of you grinding on a longboard or shut up mongoloid
Not sure why you think it’s ok to shit up our threads with this dogshit
>>
>>34732
>>34764
I'm okay with you shitting up our thread

you grind that board buddy, fuck that guy
>>
>>34768
I don't really understand what the issue is..
This one looks made for grinding>>33390 but I guess it's not really a longboard? idk
>>
>>34774
no yeah I think he was just being edgy I dunno man.

like I said, fuck that guy, grind that shit anyway brother
>>
File: grinded longboard.jpg (1.92 MB, 3264x2448)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
I grind my long board :^D
>>
>>34774
>>34779
You can’t grind most traditional longboards, unless you are riding a cruiser in which case that isn’t a longboard. Idk what’s so understand, I am literally just stating a fact. If you want to link a video of you grinding a longboard like a pintail or a popsicle or any actual longboard deck, then by all means do if. But you won’t because your just a troll and somehow the other guy hasn’t figured this out yet
>>
>>34988
you've gone from
>why are you grinding a longboard?
to
>you LiTeRaLlY cAnT grind a longboard
in 24 hours
just admit you don't know what you're doing or talking about
>>
>>35018
Link the video and your pain will end
Because we all know you can’t do it
>>
>>35018
>>34779
>>34774
>>34768
>>34732
>>34722
>>33774
Still waiting for that video of you grinding a longboard. I hope you try and end up snapping several decks before crying and ripping your dick off in frustration
>>
did my first stand up slide, are you proud of me dad
dad?
>>
>>35100
>>35356
why do you think anyone cares for your approval this much?
>>
>>6552
Same. Its been 10 years and my knee is still a ruined corpse of what it once was.
>>
Has anyone tried folding longboards? They seem pretty convenient but I'd not be sure how they ride.
>>
Total noob here, saw Madrid boards for 70% off are they worth it? Talking about the more expensive ones.
>>
>>6552
Fellow shattered knees bro myself
>>
Why are longboards so short now? doesn't seem like you see any over 40" anymore?
>>
>>35943
I imagine they'd be horrendous
Compromising the structure of the board like that and adding a point of failure like the fold would mean there is 0 response or flex from the board
At least that's what I would imagine it would feel like

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.