[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 104 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: krot.jpg (98 KB, 1280x644)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Fitness edition
Previous: >>45088

What's everyone's daily/weekly fitness routine?
>>
Also anyone watching olympics? I didn't even know Karate was in it but jesus the "kumite" is mostly embarrassing just seems like score a point scream like an idiot then stop, imagine training like that.

Nowhere near as bad as TKD at least
>>
https://youtu.be/wjum2m-IEvI
>>
>>60657
>kumite" is mostly embarrassing just seems like score a point scream like an idiot then stop, imagine training like that.
Thats most karate dojos bud
>>
>shit kwon do
Next time you should put an actual karate pic in op.
>>
Thinking about starting Kyukoshin 2x a week, not sure about it though
>>
>>60841
they should have a free lesson or two just try it out
>>60839
I'm the only one who makes these threads and this was closest to what I was looking for so do it yourself next time
>>
I just realized now there will be some cunt faggots who will start doing karate to win the olympics, those people are going to be so annoying to deal with...
Also they might go to okinawa to train and the gyms are going to be filled with these idiots
>>
>>60903
>>60903
This can be a big problem. Right now most karate is bad, but theres wide variation and lots of places do their own thing. Unification and standardization through the olympics will probably erode the good special snow flake schools that actually teach fighting.
>>
Is this shit legitimate?
>>
>>60954
Forgot pic
>>
>>60644
God those pictures make me a bit nervous. I've heard of other tricks, guys laying on beds of nails while doing the cinderblock breaking over the abs.
Honestly when I was really in shape I thought I could deal with the shot to the abs but I was always paranoid the dude would miss with the sledgehammer and hit me in the nuts instead so I never wanted to try it.
>>
>>60955
I only found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCEYUBNwcY
And those katas are full-LARP, they almost surely come from Korean karate
>>
>>60955
>>60954
go for a free lesson and suss out the sparring they do
>>
>>60903
>>60930
No they won't (2 reasons)
1. This is the last time karate will be in the Olympics and after the reception it's gotten I doubt they'll ever think about including it in the future

2. Full contact schools are going to keep doing what they're doing, people who want to do Olympic karate will just find point fighting schools. But Goldblatt's article on the Olympics in the guardian even said that the Olympics don't even raise participation in sports
>>
>>61058
what reception has it gotten? the average viewer doesn't like it?
>>
>>60644
>>
>>61067
oh fuck
also embarrassing, why did they have to use this embarrassing ruleset some of the people seem clueless
>>
>>61068
It was a guaranteed shitshow the moment they chose WKF as the organizer
>>
>>61080
I feel like there is enough full contact karate competitions that it could have made it into the olympics instead of the absolutely pathetic WKF outdated light contact point shit, I mean that webm aside I've seen a fair few people who didn't seem to know how to breakfall in these olympics and just fell awkwardly on the ground
>>
>>61090
I mean fuck even my mum watched it and called me up saying it was lame
>>
>>61090
You don't even need full contact, JKA rules would have been perfectly fine, it's just fencing with fists, even in terms of audience entertainment it would have been way better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWXLU8vtsA
>>
>>61067
>intense breathing by two people
>sweat flying around

But a mask will surely protect you from a pandemic causing supervirus
>>
>>61100
don't derail the thread faggot
>>
>>61060
the combination of having kata competition (an actual joke even if you know what they're doing) and then the notable DQ for a knockout in the kumite has probably set back the campaign to get people to take karate seriously by fifteen years
>>
>>61112
>then the notable DQ for a knockout in the kumite
kek seriously, a fucking DQ? What a fucking joke fuck this cuck fucking karate federation
What's wrong with the kata though? I haven't really seen it
>>
>>61115
just googled, actually disgusting. Fuck the WKF
>>
>>61112
At least when people dance it looks flashy, some idiot flabbing around like a dead chicken doesn't
>>
>>60657
I haven't been able to watch it live, but I'm going to check out the playbacks. All Olympic combat sports are shit, so I wasn't expecting kumite to be anything that knocked my socks off. I would like to see some goju-ryu katas done well, however.

>>61115
There's a reason why karate has never been an Olympic sport before now, and it's that kata is both fundamental to the classical transmission of karate and core to its value as living culture, but there's too many damn ryuha. There just isn't a way to fairly standardize criterion for how to judge all of the kata, make judges with different backgrounds and styles adhere to them consistently, and factor in how the karateka's own body necessarily affects interpretation. The WKF isn't a new organization; if they'd solved the kata question karate would have been entered into the Olympics when it was more popular in the 1980s or 1990s.

It's why I don't expect karate will be returning to the games, but I'm OK with that. The Olympics butchered taekwondo and judo.
>>
>>61060
>knock out your opponent
>lose

>>61090
Then you just end up with kickboxing. That's how you ended up with American Kickboxing and K-1, karateka fed up with faggy light-contact competition.
>>
>>61156
the boxing is good
>>
>>61156
>butchered judo
t. American (whose country did worse before the leg grab ban anyway)
>>
>>60644
Calisthenics and free weights. When you're conditioning for martial arts your program should be mostly functional movements.
>>
>>61207
>he doesn't religiously train karate and then do bicep curls at the Y every day but sunday
ngmi
>>
>>60841
there is no kyokushin, I trained at 2 dojos and they were vastly different, 1st one was mostly exercise and kata while 2nd one followed a pattern each session
> run and warm up
> punch and kick the bags
> semi hard sparring
> stretching
>>
>>61232
kyokushin curriculum depends on organisation/teacher but saying there is no kyokushin is dumb
>>
>>61232
I mean where I go does everything you listed and more over the course of 2 hours
>>
>>61067
WKF can go suck major dick
>>
File: dalewithit.gif (486 KB, 500x281)
486 KB
486 KB GIF
>>61200
>the boxing is corrupt
Fixed
>>61204
t. Never trained judo. Olympics are a joke.
>>
>What's everyone's weekly fitness routine.

It's utter shit, but I don't know how to change it and make it work with the rest of my schedule.

>Wendler's 5/3/1 "Boring But Big" on MTRF
>Judo and Dutch Kickboxing W
>Iaido and Jodo R
>Jack shit Sat/Sun
>>
What are your Karate experiences like? WHen did you start? Do you do it for competition? Do you spar with others? Just wanting to get some ideas on peoples experiences after seeing the Olympics. I did TKD when I was a kid and I did BJJ for a few months, but I never really liked being stuck in such a small place with a lot of people and so I just never really enjoyed martial arts.
>>
>>61316
>What are your Karate experiences like?
I've trained in two gyms and went to a couple of big seminars, I think everyone talks out of their asses, especially the ones who talk big and try to look cool
>WHen did you start?
Around 2003
>Do you do it for competition?
We used to do kata competitions as a kid, it used to be fun until there was a bad one in which they made idiots with no form who just screamed their kiais win. Now we notice that when a kid loses one of them they stop doing karate, so we don't enter.
>Do you spar with others?
We used to spar a bit when I was young but me being an introvert I always tried to avoid it, lately we didn't do it much, and I myself brought it back since I found out it was essential.

As you probably get by reading the thread, sparring in the olympics is looked down upon by people who know more about martial arts, instead the retards who drink the cool-aid think those people are heroes

Karate never entered the olympics because it's fractured between "sport" and "martial art", and the martial art side doesn't give the approval; this was a special occasion since it was in Japan
>>
>>61316
>Karate experiences
>When did you start?
I started learning shorin-ryu at age 4 or 5 as an alternative to preschool and just kept doing it until I was about 20. We didn't follow a strictly regimented training program outside of belt tests, so we learned kata and bunkai from other ryuha as well. Our dojo had kobudo and American-rules kickboxing was available for ages 14 and up.

>Do you do it for competition
I used to before I hit 15 or so, yes. One year I even won an AAU gold medal for bojutsu. I stopped having faith in fair judgement of kata, though, and ippon kumite became boring.

We learned 5 kinds of sparring in shorin-ryu: Yokosuka kumite (paired drills), ippon kumite (point sparring), jiyu kumite (semi-contact), iri kumite (full-contact), and kakie (push hands). My teacher was a kickboxer, so we had that available too. Only tapping blows to the head, though, but we could take down and go ape on the midsections and thighs.

Nowadays I do Dutch-rules kickboxing, which has some descent from kyokushin kaikan karate.
>>
>>61260
>5/3/1
/fit/ here
lmao
>>
File: masoyama.jpg (47 KB, 500x587)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>60657
>score a point scream like an idiot then stop
Pretty much what I thought about it.
It's idiotic and embarrassing that the Olympics is how Karate will be seen globally, yuppies tapping each other, screaming like maniacs and crying or quitting when they get actually hit with even moderate power.
Olympic Committee would never be okay with knockdown Karate though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDqshMSzmY
>>
>>61484
don't be a faggot, offer constructive input if anything
>>
File: 1628531772612.jpg (35 KB, 512x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>61519
>>61484
He's from /fit/, he's never heard of exercise so he's laughing in confusion
>>
>>61506
I feel like there's a halfway point between the retarded spectacle we saw in Tokyo recently and Knockdown karate.

They should give them headgear, mouthguards, and cups. No elbows or knees, but full-powered punches and kicks to be scored. You get points for how effective the technique as well as how well you execute it. You get half a point for sweeps and trips. No fucking kata.
>>
>>60644
That doesn't look difficult. More like an optical illusion to impress someone's grandmother or gf that never goes outside ever
>>
>>61538
I like that they included Kata as a totally separate event
It can be beautiful and does demonstrate an aspect of Karate
>>
>>61538
What are your thoughts on "karate combat" thing?
More in that direction maybe?
>>
https://youtu.be/A1HQDP-tkxo
I truly hope karate is never in the olympics again.
This is the most bullshit and destructive thing possible for the karate and it needs to be killed.
>>
Olympic karate should be kyokushin with face shots.
>>
>>61620
>It can be beautiful
Only to the people doing it and their families, who the fuck sees these idiots dancing by standing still as beautiful?
Saying this bullshit is "pretty" is just a huge cope to not recognize it's useless
>>
>>61653
Just make Kudo an olympic sport instead, it even counts points
>>
>>61538
no elbows or knees would suck they are an important part of karate
>>
File: 1455911673835.gif (864 KB, 500x372)
864 KB
864 KB GIF
>>61672
>who the fuck sees these idiots dancing by standing still as beautiful
>Saying this bullshit is "pretty" is just a huge cope to not recognize it's useless
Kata has a practical aspect, it's just stylized "shadow boxing"
I can tell you're underage/immature

Hating things that are beautiful but impractical only makes the world uglier
If you're taking away the form of aesthetics from Karate you might as well go to a dirty boxing gym and call it a day
>>
>>61746
You don't get it. Their grading for kata is soulless and devoids katas of the actual nuances that actually matter.
How do you even define a kata movement as being more or less beautiful? You just rationalize those judge's grading with "well they're experts, this must mean the guy who wins did more beautiful movements, hurr!"

In reality, you base whether a kata is done right or wrong on the head teacher of x federation, this in reality obviously can't happen since they need everyone to compete under the same rules;
This, for example, is the epitome of the Naihanchi kata under Seibukan, simply because that's how the head does it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sfxeWdALS0
How would a judge give that guy a rating? Based on what? The whole process is just fucking retarded and useless.
>>
>>61746 (2)
Three are the possible ways you could decide to grade a kata, 1) you go by genealogy and decide that the original way it was passed down was the closest to the real kata (unfeasible); 2) take each style head's kata as the ideal example (unfeasible); 3) decide by yourself with arbitrary rules what consists the right way of performing a kata

So who decides these rules? People who participated and won in other previous tournaments, and in origin, they were just university kids who banded together and decided that from that point on they would hold these tournaments (even though the teachers didn't approve)

So you have these people circlejerking the "right" way of doing the kata, and they vote based on their own idea of what the correct speed, rhythm and technique should be. Not based on practicality or resemblance to a real fight mind you, but based on gut feelings and "beauty"
>>
>>61624
I loterally have no idea what determines a scoring poont here. I see people getting hit multiple times but only sometimes gets scored for it.
Also,
>stupid iranian walk directly into a roundhouse
>this is the saudi arabians fault
Lmao
>>
>>61260
Perhaps you should do your 5/3/1 on Mon, Tue, Fri, and Sat if possible. That gives you only one rest day of truly nothing at all, but I don't think iaido or jodo are going to be so intense that they aren't just going to be "active recovery" on your Thursday.
>>
>>61758
>>61764
It's a form thing, you guys are thinking too literally, it's about that athlete then and there, in the moment, their intensity, their focus, their flow, their technique

compared to only the established form of the kata as it exists within previous examples from that competition, and to their opponent.
>>
my karate school is shut atm because NSW went into lockdown
i can just do it in my back yard but that sucks balls

goju-ryu
only a white belt, learning Gekisai Dai-Ichi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgA_ITNi5FM
>>
>>62288
Yeah but it implies that these "intensity, focus, flow", as valued by the judges, make your kata "better", when in reality the kata is just a pretend-fight and those performances only take it further away from reality. You can't place "realism" on a scale, they use scales they can rate and the performance adapts accordingly into a glorified dance. Fine, they can do it, but for any serious fighter these practices aren't very interesting
>>
>>62289
Learning from the greatest teachers is probably better than learning from some random one, but you really need to check yourself, ideally with a mirror, or you'll never notice your errors
>>
>>62290
It's amusing how much you pretend to understand something completely out of your depth.
>but for any serious fighter these practices aren't very interesting
According to you, perhaps, but you are nobody.
>>
>>62334
It's very amusing how being a kata champion has 0 correlation with being a fighting champion, isn't it?
And how okinawan sensei laugh at tournaments
And how university karate spawns from the thought that fighting isn't important anymore and it's about building character, all the while the character in these practitioners is abysmal and the fighting still remains a footnote
>>
>>62395
I do think Kata can be valuable for building muscle memory I kind of get your point, Anon should be focusing on practicing reliable combinations (which is kind of kata but that's neither here nor there)
>>
>>62395
>It's very amusing how being a kata champion has 0 correlation with being a fighting champion, isn't it?
Mas Oyama disagreed, but keep coping.
>>
File: jorge.jpg (53 KB, 550x550)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Again, I must ask: If you don't like things like kihon, kata, and softer kumite that builds up to full-contact and knockdown, then why bother with karate and posting in a karate thread? Kickboxing comes in four or five mass participation styles and cuts straight to the point without "the bullshit."

If your only purpose is to be a good fighter, then even old-school Okinawan self-defense karate isn't going to sharpen that unless you intend to hang out in dangerous places baiting street fights and good luck getting away with that in Current Year in any developed nation. My coach has two 4th dans in different ryuha but even he just occasionally demonstrates how his karate background influences and feeds into his kickboxing (unless you're paying for private lessons) because nobody wants to do "TRVE" karate anymore and regardless the kickboxing training is just more efficient for getting people who want to be able to prevail in a fight ready for that. Full karate is delayed gratification, most people aren't interested in that if they want to fight, and that's okay but there are dedicated kickboxing gyms and programs from karate dojos for reasons.
>>
Thoughts on machida academy?
>>
>>62485
looks pretty good to me
>>
>>62485
The school or the online virtual academy website run by the school?

If you meant the latter, I did the trial and the material was pretty good. While there was a decent amount of material, I don't think there was enough material to justify a monthly subscription though. To be fair, I did the trial when the website was recently launched, so maybe they've added more content since then.
>>
>>60710
Why did they even call it kumite. I thought a proper kumite was you getting lined up by at least 20 dudes.
>>
>>62668
The actual school I don’t live to far from this place.
>>
m
>>
>>62693
The pedigree is certainly there. The Machidas were successful both in karate and MMA and they have a few current MMA fighters training there.
>>
>>61067
What the fuck, these guys are suppose to be Olympians?
>>
>>62693
Take a trial class and see for yourself.
>>
You think this kind of backfist is usable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcT8QMRD5A
You never see it being used anywhere
>>
>>63215
Looks like a jab that comes at a weird upward angle to me. Maybe you could figure out a way to get it under someones chin in sparring
>>
>>63215
that's one of those meme things Oyama got people to do because it looked cool standing in a line on the beach
>>
As far as it goes the only way to "fix" the kata problem is to have a set number of katas for people to choose from. If everyone was doing the same kata it's easier to see who is performing it best.
As far as the sparring goes I have to say I really enjoy the Karate Combat that's going on. I think it's rising in popularity and is exactly what the fans and many others want: full contact karate. By allowing minimal ground fighting it allows these fighters to become more diverse and allows most importantly the sweeps and takedowns that make Karate different from kickboxing. It's what Karate has needed all along and my hat is off to them for putting together something new.
As far as it goes for my routines I'm old and train alone these days so I just do arms on Mondays and Wednesdays and then legs on Tuesdays and Thursdays with combination of both on the bag on Fridays.
So for weights I do bicep curls, skull crushers, shoulder press, OHP, shoulder shrugs, barbell flies, and ab work on arm days. I like doing 5x10 sets. Then I do an hour of boxing with elbows on the heavy bag.
Then for leg days I do bunny hops, frog jumps, jumping jacks, then forward, side, and back lunges. Then I work my kicks and knees on the bag for about an hour or I'll do running depending on the weather or my mood.
On Fridays I do a little bit of everything and then on bag I put it all together in combinations and try to practice varying drills to work on speed, power, or technique in each one.
I rest on the weekends.
>>
>>63215
I imagine you could shell up like a boxer and then poke at somebody like that, but I've never seen the backfist done use as an extension like that before.

>>63300
The thing I don't like about Karate Combat is that the banlist on techniques is still longer than kyokushin sport or muay thai, but if Olympic Karate were what's in KC, then I'd be satisfied.
>>
>>61674
But with Kickboxing (what kind?) and Muay Thai now accepted by the IOC, how are you going to differentiate Karate with kicks, punches, elbows, and knees from those 2 sports? Are they going to give them padding at the kneecaps and elbows so that there's no blood or a popped eyeball?

I mean, is Olympic Karate going to allow extensive clinching with knees and elbows to the body and face? What about foot sweeps and trips? Can you toss an opponent and do a follow-up punch to the ground?

I do like Sombo being part of the Olympics since it has leglocks (something which Judo prohibits from active competition).
>>
>>63920
>But with Kickboxing (what kind?) and Muay Thai now accepted by the IOC
If they get in, the IOC will rake in all the cash leaving none for the wayward promotions and the athletes
>>
>>62476
Delayed gratification in what sense?
>>
File: jazzhands.gif (808 KB, 207x207)
808 KB
808 KB GIF
>>64718
I meant that it takes a longer time to get the same feeling of accomplishment and much of the technique is not obviously demonstrated and then drilled due to the kata abstractions. There's the obvious, the theoretical, and the original intent layers to the breakdown and it's a different type of training than something where you just get shown the technique and try to work it until it feels right. It's just another way to get to the same place and for some it's preferable to pick apart a hypothetical scenario than build up from the bottom with the techniques themselves (although kihon and easier kumite are like that too).

I'm speaking from the perspective of having done karate, kickboxing and muay thai. It took me longer to get good at karate but when I got there and things clicked it felt awesome. In KB and MT, I feel more like I'm getting an immediate grasp but the sense of independent self-discovery just isn't the same because I'm handed the motions and looking for the chance to use it in sparring rather than making a more abstracted motion my own.

I also just have better focus if I train kata independently versus just shadowboxing and doing bagwork and that if I run through a kata I know before the KB conditioning I get more out of the session. But that may just be me.

I see the advantages of both training styles and it's why I wouldn't want to just turn karate into kickboxing because some people don't see the purpose or enjoy anything except sparring when there's striking arts that'll do that just fine. I'm happy doing KB now, though, because I feel couldn't focus enough to do proper karate after judo class.
>>
>>61316
>What are your Karate experiences like?
>WHen did you start?
I started Kyokushin when I was like 13, back then I was shit cause my brain was still unable to comprehend basic concepts, trainer went on a MMA tour with a student of his for a year, so I did Shotokan at 16 for a year, thought it was the gayest shit ever, the katas were cool though. Got back into Kyokushin at 18 and felt pretty confident in it now that I was stronger and older.
I used to want to enter but now I just know that all I'm gonna be getting from it is red shins and arms. I do attend the big seminars we have with the other dojos every now and then though, they're dope.
Me and a guy usually stick around after class and spar for 15 mins or so, guy has a night shift later though.
>>
I've seen a lot of people shittalking karate, so I'd better talk to the people who actively practice it. Would you recommend it to someone who has never before taken part in any martial arts? I'm 23 and have never fought anyone in my life, even for sport.
>>
>>66465
Only full-contact karate. I personally like "traditional" karate, but only as a hobby. If I had to actually fight someone I'd go learn something else
>>
>>66465
Yes I do recommend it even to a novice. It was my only martial art for twelve years and saved my pretty face from harm in every fight I got forced into as a child and teenager. I didn't even do a "full-contact" kyokushin lineage style.

What you need to keep in mind though is that the karate experience varies wildly between styles and organizations that are a part of the style, so it's a bit harder to know you're going to get what you're after in practicing it until you investigate and spend some time at a dojo. If you just want to use karate techniques and learn how to win a one-on-one fight, you might get more out a kickboxing class since the various kinds of kickboxing all have roots in karate (things that are called "kickboxing" versus stuff that can be considered boxing with kicks ala Muay Thai or Savate).
>>
>>66465
>I've seen a lot of people shittalking karate, so I'd better talk to the people who actively practice it. Would you recommend it to someone who has never before taken part in any martial arts? I'm 23 and have never fought anyone in my life, even for sport.
Generally yes. But it depends on your country. US Karate is mostly shit. Russian Karate is really good. Just general examples, maybe you're lucky.

I can tell you that 6 months with a good coach are better than 6 years with a bad coach, but that goes for any sport I guess.
>>
>>66588
>I can tell you that 6 months with a good coach are better than 6 years with a bad coach, but that goes for any sport I guess.
This x10000000
>>
What are the pros/cons of karate vs taekwondo?
>>
>>66896
TKD gives you some cool kicks. Other than that unless you get a really baller TKD school any Karate will be better
>>
>>66465
Depends on what you wanna achieve. If you wanna get into fistfights with gypsies then you should probably just go with a combat sport or Kudo, but if you wanna get the conditioning and bare knuckle experience then give Kyokushin or an offspring a chance.
>>
>>66465
The flashy karate stuff comes in once you have good fundamental kickboxing skills. I don't think it should be your first combat sport. Like TKD, it's a useful supplement to someone that is already a competent fighter.
>>
Why are there no Kyokushin Karateka in Karate Combat? All my life I've heard that Shotokan is the sport, and Kyokushin (and the various spin-offs from Kyokushin) is the "destructive martial art". I understand the lack of kicking above the knee takes away some of the more powerful weapons in the Kyokushin techniques but with people like GSP and Bas Rutten in the production I was expecting at least a seidokaikan or Kyokushin fighter in the roster.
>>
>>61653
can i interest you in seidokaikan?
>>
>>61653
so one of the full contact Karate's that do face shots and not kyokushin at all
>>
what's the difference between world games rules for Karate and olympic karate? Considering The World Games has been the olympics for sports without olympic representation, do they have different rules regarding knockouts for their kumite category?
>>
>>60644
Just do sanchin lol.
>>
>>67778
>he isn't gripping jars
ngmi
>>
>>67508
Firstly kyokushin guys didn't really need a special full contact organisation, and most of the really good ones just do regular kickboxing.

Secondly, yes, losing thigh kicks and knees completely fucks the Kyokushin offence since you're stuck in very odd ranges against wierd kickers. it's not just that you've castrated their offense but you've also made their stance much less useful since it's built to deal with leg kicks more effectively.
>>
>>67807
More of a chi'ishi guy myself.
>>
Where can I do good full contact karate in Britain?
>>
>>68027
Shottingham innit. Don't forget to bring a knife.
>>
>>68028
:( anon pls i just wanna be a budoka
>>
>>67807
>not doing sanchin while gripping jars
>>
>>68027
Without doxing yourself what vague area are you in? If you don't want to reveal that on 4chan (good idea) I'd just look for the nearest kyokushin place.
>>
Looking for some advice. I'm a 1st dan teacher/assistant teacher and my instructor just instituted a new rule for our free fighting stance which moves the hands from near your head to around the sternum. Basically said its more relaxed and people only keep their hands up so far and hunch to look tough/aggressive and that its for show.

This is one of the most retarded fucking things I've ever heard, I was speechless. I've done boxing and kyokushin and every time I dropped my hands especially when I was a novice I got hit in the head. For a year now I've been getting my students to keep their hands up and they've finally been doing it now this. The problem is my instructor's instructor is a Tae Kwon Do/Hapkido guy who is nice but full of dumb retarded ideas. He is an 8th Dan with whose instructor is Sung Soo Lee which makes it worse I can 100% tell this came from him and for some reason my instructor (who in usually only takes something useful) thought this was a good idea. I'm not sure what to do. I've just come back after a couple of month break and have put on a bit of weight so I feel like I'm not currently in good enough standing to confront him about it.

I feel like this TKD guy has just been making shit progressively worse over the years. His fingerprints are super obvious.
>>
>>68337
Wait two weeks and say that you and most of the people you see have been getting hit in the head more and that it doesn't work.
>>
>>68330
Is the British Kyokushinkai federation good? There's two I that are both 20 minute drives from me, some of the affiliated dojos I've seen online have no equipment like pads and do sessions in the foyer of a sports centre. But the two near me seem to have pads and good trainers so I will probably check out whichever is closest or has the most convenient sessions.
>>
>>68337
Challenge him and heed these dumb rules he's come up with. Everyone will see you two giving each other major brain damage and the hands will come back up.
>>
>>68337
Are you allowed to punch to the head in your ruleset? I did TKD at a place once where I was not allowed to punch people in the face but I could kick them in the head. What rules are you bound by in your dojo?
Some fighters can learn to fight well with their hands down, a boxer named Canelo comes to mind offhand. My impression is these types are few and far between honestly however. If protecting the body is more important in your particular ruleset it might make a bit of sense...overall setting up bad habits to not allow face strikes AND advise students to deliberately keep their hands down as in a real fight that will fuck them over hard.
Honestly I'd just try and explain it away honestly and factually. He thinks hands up make you look "hunched over". Well that reason is simply to protect the chin. Keeping it up and exposed means one hard shot can end the night. Has he never done competition or something...?
>>
>>68343
He is about 60 would not really work
>>68345
>Are you allowed to punch in the head
The adults are not the teenagers/kids. The logic behind the change is for self defense I believe not competition, but I might double check. Pretty sure its self defense logic though.
>>
>>68342
No place is guarenteed to be good but British Kyokushin is generally pretty respected as far as I know.
>>
how much time and training and money do you think is necessary to be able to compete seriously in Karate Combat?
>>
>>68551
A legitimately complicated question. It's muddled by the fact that the majority of fighters we've seen have been at least pretty above average in terms of attributes, especially speed and power. Very athletic.

But at the same time a lot of them have massive holes in their games technically.

If someone was already moderately experienced with martial arts I think they could get KC ready with 6-9 months of training *specifically* for that ruleset - including drills for light judo and especially boxing.
>>
>>68551
Can you afford a respectable Gi and love beating the shit out of your fellow man? Yes welcome to Karate.
>>
>>68553
I was wondering as I've done Judo and boxing, thinking of finding a good karate dojo and asking them if they'd help me train and prepare for something like that
>>
>>68551
What are the chances of KC becoming a knee and sweep fest if they had a jacket and allowed grips?
>>
>>68561
Why sweep a nigger when you can just punch him in the face. Come on my guy.
>>
>>68561
Ericcsson got swept a million times in his match and still won so I don't think the sweep meta would be there, even in standard knockdown karate with jackets it's not that common
>>
>>68564
I mean that was a shifty decision
>>
>>68573
Nah once Alberto tried to get a timeout for just being hit too much, Ericsson had won. I thought it was Ramirez fight but in the last rounds Ericsson was dominating the fight, Ramirez was clinching and throwing him to get away and get time to recover, you can hear bas getting bored of the takedowns.
>>
>>68578
It's the fact that he was basically throwing him at will that makes me think he should have won the decision, most of those weren't soft takedowns and he was landing some GNP.

Atamov basically got to his title fight on the basis of being a GNP guy too.
>>
>>68558
Then that's a pretty decent starting point for KC. But I'm not sure what their recruitment process is like, and I'm pretty sure you need to be at least a dan in karate to compete.
>>
>>68639
Atamov's GNP was him controlling the fight, he pushed in, swept etc and consistently landed his GNP. Ramirez was clinching when Ericsson was pushing forwards, and in many cases he was unable to follow up the sweep with GNP. That and Ericsson kept pushing despite getting swept over and over whilst Atamov's opponents start to run from him after getting knocked down so many times.
>>
>>68646
Here's the thing though, Ericsson, was getting thrown (again, a lot of these throws were hard) and wasn't landing consistently. It doesn't matter if you're the one coming forward, quoth Jack Slack, "that just means you're controlling the pace at which you're getting your ass kicked". If every time Ericsson comes forward he's getting smothered and thrown then that's not consistent work, Ramirez is in control of the fight.
>>
I'm 19 years old, is it too late for me to start practising karate? I've always had the impression that martial arts were something that if you don't catch up early when young it becomes impossible
>>
>>69710
what do you mean by impossible? You can learn pretty much anything at your age and 16-25 will be your mental and athletic peak for the most part. You probably wont be as good as the guy whose done it since he was 8, but if you are flexible or athletic in general you could even do that. But even if you are a couch potato you are young enough to get good at it.
>>
>>69711
then I might give it a go, thank you!
>>
>>69710
I started judo at 32. You can absolutely do karate at 19. You're like a little baby.
>>
>>69710
19 is absolutely not too late to start practicing martial arts lol.
>>
>>68337
Same anon here, another person is also concerned about this change. Another angle of logic instructor is using is that if your hands are up you will look threatening and they will expect a fight (but if in his way hands are still in a fighting position so thats dumb anyway). Here are the points I'm going to make (this is for self defence)

-Headshot much more dangerous than torso, also isn't that why we used to do body conditioning? (I've been bugging him to do it again and do it in my classes)
-Personal experience, when my hands have been down that far I always get hit in the head, prime target
=Easier to drop your hands/defend your torso quickly than it is raise to your head
=Understand not wanting to appear threatening, but having hands that high still the same effect and surely once fight is on anyway it should be hands up, not turtle like but still.
-The hands are just too low, cant guarantee you will be fast enough to block.

-It's really about percentages, nothing guaranteed but less likely to get hurt with hands up and its just a better habit.

Thoughts anyone?
>>
anyone read the Bubishi?
>>
>>69803
This seems logically sound to me, but then again your teacher came up with the retarded idea in the first place so he might stand his ground out of principle. Maybe get a few students to try both stances in sparring to show everyone your theories in action?
Also, do you guys put your hands up with closed fists or open palms facing towards the attacker? If it's open palms, then keeping your hands higher towards your head would make you seem much less threatening than if they were lowered which handles his new complaint.
>>
>>71191
>Also, do you guys put your hands up with closed fists or open palms facing towards the attacker?
Basically depends on the person, I vary personally. I did talk to him and he said it's fine to teach kids to keep hands up and I can do what I want for my stance and stuff it's more for senior adults was a quick talk but still that's better than nothing, not the worst outcome not the best either but as I said was a quick talk
>>
>>72112
Well good on you then anon.
>>
Tareg Hamedi went to the WWE after that whole DQ debacle... I dunno what's going on anymore
>>
How do i do a proper kiai?
>>
>>72112
>Senior adults.
That makes more sense. As you get more experienced, but you get older, you're going to diminish physically, but you can pull more shit.
If you're older, getting used to training with your hands at a more neutral pose then holding your arms up all the time and tiring them out could be of some interest, especially if you're used to doing fast, soft style blocks or techniques, and does lend itself to opening in a street fight instead of having to lift them.
It also opens your vision more, and keeps your center of gravity lower, meaning it's tempting to do if you want to do cool shit.
I'd still recommend keeping your arms up and just training in strength more because fancy and complex is far less good then reliable and easy, but to each their own.
>>
>>73452
Just make a loud "YAAH!" or "HAAH!" sound.
It's a mental stimulus thing to help with putting aggression into a strike, similar to Bruce Lee's "Watatatatatah!" thing.
It's about forgoing that nervousness or awkwardness of looking bad or uncivilized and just being savage.
Do it loud, hit hard.
>>
>>73452
Do it as you breathe out, it should come from deep within you
>>73868
not this
>>
Where can I get a good Kyokushin dogi for cheap? I don't want a super expensive kata gi, but rather one intended for clicker and full contact fighting, my sensei told me to look at kyokushin world but they're kinda pricey
>>
Finally started Kyokushin. Great atmosphere at the dojo, the Sensei and the few black belts are eastern european monsters, and the lower ranking belts I've met so far are tenacious. Already bruising on the stomach from the drills. I think I'm home.
>>
How many knuckle pushups and makiwara punches per day to get Okinawan-tier karate knuckles?
Serious question, i feel its a kind of legal weapon
>T. Live in shitty country
>>
>>74593
Don't they also do that bucket full of rice meme.
>>
>>74597
I knew a black belt (tkd)who said he used little rocks on a bucket in his days
Rice just seems to kill the nerves=no pain
>>
>>74471
Sounds like you got lucky. Half the black belts were arrogant assholes who wanted you to suck their dicks in mine, never ran into shit like that even in boxing
>>
want to take up kyokushin but my lower body mobility is fucked, can barely touch my toes. any advice bros
>>
>>74640
Just chose to be more flexible. This is going to sound weird but when I was a teenager I could not kick very high, but then one day I just decided I could and then I was able to force myself too. Eventually after forcing myself to I was able to do it easily. Is this healthy? Probably not, but it works.
>>
File: 1592932254274.jpg (18 KB, 400x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>74654
>>
>>74640
stretch
>>
>>60644
Hey guys
I do TKD (ITF) in my free time but the gym isn't open that often
The rules are basically sports karate rules I think, punches to the face are allowed
I was thinking of starting one of those online shotokan programs so that I could learn the shotokan kata and get some extra feedback on my technique
Hopefully it will give me a little extra boost in my TKD sparring and give me a new art form to practice in my free time
I have no intention to go to tournaments or competitions or anything like that, and this is the only karate option I can access at the moment
My question is, would it be worth it? Are any of these online programs better than the others? Will one of them get me better feedback? Will learning the shotokan kata mess with my ITF TKD forms?
>>
>>74640
watch the kyokushin encylopedia on youtube, it's full of good stretches in the warm up section that will help you improve your flexibility, there's a 3 hour video on youtube which has everything you need to develop and stretch for good form and fitness
>>
>>74757
Probably not worth doing the kata since IIRC most TKD forms are taken from karate kata. Since every style does it slightly differently you don't want to end up with bad habits. Best to practice on the stuff you already have.

I'd reccomend getting some kind of heavy bag if you have the room and learning how to safely practice the kicks you already know on it
>>
>>74757
To be honest I feel taking Shotokan kata in your position would be completely pointless.
>>
File: pepefroggie.jpg (35 KB, 780x438)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>61067
is there anyway to reliably prevent injuries like this? Fighting/grappling sports interest me but snapped and contorted limbs creep me the fuck out. Not even gore and guts makes me recoil as much as snapped bones.
>>
>>75010
he didn't break fall properly, just practice break falling, spend like 10 minutes on an exercise mat or on some grass and practice break falling
>>
How the FUCK do I work through the bunkai/practical applications of a kata if there's no one willing to train it with me?
>>
>>75550
You put yourself in situations where you be assaulted for real
>>
>>75558
I don't really like trap music and malt liquor, but thank you.
>>
>>75550
Are you the tang soo do guy with retarded instructors
>>
>>75569
This how to practice bunkai
https://youtu.be/JkODztZebJc
>>
I'm moving from somewhere with a legit Muay Thai gym to somewhere with just TKD and Karate. Which one is more likely to have actual kickboxing? I don't mind kata and formality, but I'd appreciate things at least on the level of a judo class where most of the focus is on drills and fighting.
>>
>>75639
Probably not TKD unless its a super rare exception, what type of Karate is it?
>>
>>75641
I have no idea. I assume they're both daycares with third rate kickboxing, but maybe I can find one that at least does drills and pitter patter. The only reason I'm even considering TKD is that afaik you can't lose a match by knocking your opponent out like karate.
>>
>>60644
Still in the process of working that out. I work a lot so if I wanted to lift/run, it’d have to be really early in the morning. Been doing BJJ for a year after work I really want to add kyokushin as well. It’s a shame there’s no morning classes anywhere nearby.
>>
>>75655
That olympic karate bullshit was embarrassing and karate schools like that are a disgrace, does this karate place have a website?
>>
>>75720
There are a couple in town of both TKD and Karate. And the TKD spinning back kick is legit, so I'd like to learn to throw it. I may just have to call around and ask each about what their classes look like. If they're all kata and no sparring, I might just switch to entirely to grappling since there are -of course- bjj gyms and even a judo club.

But when you hear a generic 'karate' and a generic 'TKD', which is more likely to train fighting instead of just sterile choreography.

>That olympic karate bullshit
From the outside looking in, I think it's done irreparable damage to the reputation of your sport for any prospective student that wants to learn kickboxing.
>>
>>75720
>>75721
Most karate schools in the USA are bullshit, but they aren't even the Olympic type of karate. Think more clownshow multi color gis and a mixture of boyscouts and daycare atmosphere. Tkd is exactly the same and most tkd schools just call it karate.
>>
>>75655
>The only reason I'm even considering TKD is that afaik you can't lose a match by knocking your opponent out like karate.
you'd be surprised what kind of rules TKD has, very restrictive and almost zero punching if it's WT
>>
>>75721
>From the outside looking in, I think it's done irreparable damage to the reputation of your sport
Good. Karate is not and never was supposed to be a damned sport. Hopefully we can put that bullshit behind us for good and return to our roots.
>>
>>75926
This. i might add that karate was originally kung fu. white crane style and incense shop boxing i have a theory that there may have been other styles included from other foreign countries such as silat or kali. all you have to do is look at the movement to see where it comes from from my understanding it seems to be a purely self defense style the kicks were low, modern karate started doing it because the french traded with the japanese and they copied the kicks from savate. not to mention kobudo was allways apart of karate. Why? the Filipinos allways started with the weapons first to train villagers quickly how to fight. in karate's case there was a shift in that philosophy they do empty hands first then the weapons. the whole point is to look at this objectively instead of throwing it out as useless. instead ask the question why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBcittvxgOk
>>
>>71187
i haven't read it i just look at the kata and what the patterns might mean and other people's interpretations. i do need to read it though.
this guy is very fucking good at explaining the bunkai it just makes perfect sense to me.
https://youtu.be/BNCYvmXlnOU?t=178
>>
as said before there is a lot of bullshit out there but i do have to appreciate kenpo karate which seems to try and fill in the gaps some do and some really don't it all depends on who knew ed parker personally because a lot of the moves were heavily modified. at the same time its important for kenpo to evolve that and adding speed into the mix all this stuff are important ideas we have to parse through in terms of effectiveness but i feel like some of it could work mainly building fine motor skills and eye hand coordination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8nJLcABAO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfxhPyWhLtk
>>
on a unrelated note.

There is a guy who trained with tony blaur who created his own system called "senshido" which is funny because when asked about it he said "i just thought it sounded cool" to set himself apart from tony. is it good? yes. in fact i would say its one of the most realistic fighting systems ive ever seen. it is essentially tiger or dragon kung fu but its just that he rips your face apart and you cant even tell whats going on it tricks the brain into fight or flight but cant process whats even happening. he did this on Brazilian jujitsu black belts and didn't believe him then by the end of the class eating there own words saying it was legit as can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDc3K6Dh1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G2hY_GUK_k
>>
>>75926
>Hopefully we can put that bullshit behind us for good and return to our roots.
Seething in the shadow of judo?
>>
>>75926
>Karate is not and never was supposed to be a damned sport.

Any time people complain about a martial art being sport they always end up encouraging the behaviour that they hate
>>
>>76038
Even greco-roman with its myriad of arbitrary restrictions is more legit than most non-sport martial arts. It's just the difference between good rules and bad rules. Frankly, formal sporting rules are less pernicious than the informal rules of non-competitive martial arts.
>>
>>76051
On top of that if you don't have a sporting ruleset your students are just either going to get a reputation for complete ineffectiveness (aikido) or look for street fights to get into so they can try their moves
>>
Anyone else think the oldschool jka point sparring actually looks kind of cool? Why is the olympic karate so much gayer?

https://youtu.be/W7ZF7yd4hhM
>>
>>76466
is JKA a cool style?
>>
The head instructor to the school I go to really wants to retire and put me in charge.
I don't know how to run a business and I am only a second degree black belt, so not only do feel unread and unsure on a business front but I feel under qualified to be the head instructor. He really wants me to take over by the end of the month, saying he doesn't feel like he can make it to march like he originally planned, which would have been his 80th birthday.

So I guess what I am asking you guys here is and advice on how to run a karate school?
I am freaking out but don't want to let the school die just because I am afraid of responsibility.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>76466
JKA point sparring is like high level fencing. Olympic karate uses a terrible ruleset and gets all the bad parts of points fighting without the benefits.

>>77511
Owning a school/gym is a big responsibility. Two of my coaches who both used to own their own gyms said owning a gym is a big headache and working at a coach under somebody else's gym is a lot less stressful. I know you don't want your school to die, but you might be taking the wheel of a sinking ship and going down with it. Let your instructor know you're not sure and see if you can do a trial run to see what actually running the school entails.
>>
File: pepe ryu.png (12 KB, 633x652)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>After many years of speaking about it, I finally decide to start a martial art in late 2020
>Interested in MMA, but everything is far away and expensive
>Find out my local gym has Kyokushin karate classes for a measly 15€ a month
>Reluctant because I fell for the "karate = bad" meme
>Go with it for convenience, only reference being "that one style practiced by Dolph Lundgren"
>Shihan is a 4th Dan; first woman to referee internationally, first woman to break through two baseball bats with a shin kick.
>One of her pupils ranked 7th in a recent worlwide kata tournament, others even have their own dojos
>Just this week, Japanese overlords promoted her to a weird title that basically means "Kyokushin president of the whole country".

Dumbest luck ever. First place I pick and I get the best teacher possible.
>>
File: andy.jpg (44 KB, 480x360)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
About 2 months into Kyokushin and excited to take my first belt test, but my knees are starting to have a dull ache. I'm flat footed so it's painful in my feet doing forms and I've learned to deal with it, but this feels different. Kin geri's snapping motion might be getting to me, I don't know. Are there any stretches / exercises to help my knee strength? Or should I just be icing them after a session?
>>
>>77688
>Knees are starting to have a dull ache
That's not good at all, have you told your instructor? Maybe you aren't doing the techniques properly or are putting too much pressure on them
>>
>>77688
Are you rotating through your mawashi geris correctly?

>kin-geri

You shouldn't be doing kin geri hard at all if you're throwing it at air

There are lots of exercises to strengthen the quads though. Do you have a gym membership?
>>
>>77688
Where is the pain located? Depending on, there are different stretches and exercises you'll have to do.
>>
File: pepe karate.jpg (64 KB, 750x1000)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>77688
Another kyokushin white belt here. Also enduring knee pain, but luckily I am doing rehabilitation exercises.

I have my very first test today. Scared shitless that I miss an order because I have trouble with the terminology or that I can't endure the knee pain that some positions cause me after some time.

I hope you pass with flying colors.
>>
>>60644
Kind of a weird question but are there any resources you guys can provide such as videos, books, etc for karate? If not, at least where I can find shit for this? There’s a lot of “free” sources for weightlifting but not martial arts
>>
>>61043
>suss out
????
>>
>>77744
I only teach in person.
I have published no books nor have any instructional videos.
>>
>>77744
Because weightlifting is a solo activity that you can reasonably improve at by yourself. Not so for martial arts. Japanese martial arts in particular place a lot of emphasis on being instructed in person and having partners for drills and sparring, so karate in particular will have fewer of these. About the only thing resources will help you with is kata. You could always read about the history of karate, that's fun.
>>
>>77757
I mean books and vids that reach drills/stretches/techniques/moves
>>
File: SenseiMacDonald.gif (1.19 MB, 250x339)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB GIF
Update here, my knees are feeling much better. It felt like my knees were a little weak on sunday / monday, like when I got out of bed or out of my office chair is when the dull pain appeared. I've been icing and elevating them after workouts and I'm going into the first belt test today without any pain.
>>77711
I have, my instructor told me to show him a squat and I seemed to do it without causing him concern. I feel like I'm doing Zenkutsidatchi a bit unnaturally to keep my front foot and knee straight so I'm going to keep it at a natural angle from now on.
>>77725
Yes to the Mawashis, at least according to my sensei. The kin's I'll be doing lighter, I try to snap hard during class. I don't have a gym membership, but I do have a dumbell that goes to 25 pounds at home if there's something I can do with that.
>>77727
It's area surrounding the kneecap.
>>77729
Thanks for the kind words anon, I've been studying hard and I'll be posting results tonight.
>>
>>77744
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Karate-Masatoshi-Nakayama/dp/156836413X
Dynamic Karate is one of my favorites. It goes into detail on everything, the section on stances really helped me starting out.
>>
>>77729 here. Today I finished my first test (half of it has Tuesday, the other half today), so I want to blogpost.

It went pretty well, but I am slightly bummed failing at things that I should know/do better even at my level.
>Doing gyakku tsuki instead of oi because I was so focused in punching I didn’t hear the order properly.
>Doing Taikyoku Sono Ni before everyone, I slipped a couple of times; didn’t fall, but I feel stupid since I practiced it a lot.
>Doing kumite I accidentally hit my partner in the spine; not too hard, but I should be more careful.

I will know the result in a week.

>>77857 What about you? How did your test go?
>>
File: savate.jpg (26 KB, 300x241)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>77975
I was gonna blogpost again when I got my orange belt but I think I aced it. I screwed up on one of the group forms (gedan berai - > jodan uke -> gyaku tsuki broke my brain) but when they tested me individually I killed it. I did get to see our yellow belt fight about 7 people (including all the black belts) after like an hour and a half of forms / kata which was pretty incredible. One of the other white belts who'd been there longer than me got mawashi'd in the face during his last fight too. Overall very proud and excited, everyone there fights extremely well and I can't wait to get in there. Good job on your test bro, we'll kumite one day.
>>
>>77975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7b8zq6gx0
Also, an orange belt friend of mine was doing Sono Ni too. It must be really tough in the moment, cause I saw him do it perfectly without any counts and still screw it up a few times day of, so don't be too hard on yourself.
>>
>>77859
Thank you anon, this is exactly what I’m taking about
>>
>>77744
https://youtu.be/Il9ObsFHjVM
this video is pretty fantastic
>>
>>61316
>WHen did you start?
I started near 2003 when I was 13 years old. I watched Matrix and wanted to do taekwondo but there was no taekwondo in my small town and I went to karate shotokan (WKF). I was shit and didn't like kumite. I also was weak child and depsite we did lot of push ups and conditioning I didn't get much stronger. But I liked all the cultural background of karate. I did it for two years, dropped it and switched to tennis. But overall my first experience with karate was disappointing, I wanted to fight good at streets but I was shit at it.
When I was 18 I was preparing for university admission. I had physics tutor, young strong looking man. I said I did karate, he said he also did. We started conversation about styles and he said he did kyokushin and if I didn't like shotokan I should try kyokushin when I move to bigger city after admission. I did as he said, found kyokushin club and liked it much better than shotokan. I did kyokushin for two years and dropped it because got interest in grappling.
I competed once when I did shotokan. My opponent knockdowned me with liver punch (it was contact free competition, I remind you), I felt absolutely shit after it and lost the match. I was super disappointed.
I also competed once when I did kyokushin, it was much smoother, I did lot of lowkicks, tried to open my opponent for liver punch, but overall I was mostly moving away from my opponent and I lost by decision. I felt very good after this.
Yeah, we sparred both in shotokan and kyokushin. Didn't like shotokan sparring drills though
>>
>>77744
Just search on YT and set the filter to "longer than 20 minutes".
>>
My sensei wants us to start moving to gloved training, what are some good gloves for karate? The only gloves I know of specifically made for karate are those blitz gloves but most guys at my dojo seem to use what look like bag gloves or MMA gloves. The other options are to go all out and buy like £70 gloves from Karate Combat or Seishin but I don't want to look like a cunt
>>
>>78437
What is your budget, what are you actually using the gloves for (bag, light sparing, hard sparing, regulation gloves for comp, etc), and how soon do you need the gloves?

Personally I mainly light spar so I have some cheap MMA gloves I got from aliexpress that work fine, but I also got heavy bag gloves (they were deeply discounted) that I use for extended sessions on the bag. In the past I have also had great value out of those cheap cloth karate knuckle guards with matching shin protectors with light sparing. They are REALLY cheap yet last for years if you take care of them. Best value for the money if you only do light sparing. I still use the cloth shin protectors to this day. You can find those at damn near anywhere martial arts gear is sold so it's pointless to list particulars. Just order from whatever fits your shipping time tolerance with those. If you order from ali, they might be cheaper but it will take close to 2 months for them to get to you. So a local store or company would be a better bet.

If you are doing comps then get something that conforms to the regulatory standards of whatever you are competing in. You want your training equipment to be very similar to what you will compete using.

If you just needs something that is durable enough to beat on pads and bags then bag gloves or boxing gloves picked up at a place like walmart are good enough and should last a few years.

Really I would only get really spendy with training gloves if I did comp and wanted something fitting the regs while being high quality, or if I needed/wanted something highly specialized or custom.
Don't drop $80 bucks on gloves due to a brand. Get something that fits your practical needs first, and if you really want to spend the extra cash on gear then get something unique to you.
>>
>>77729 + >>77975 here. Last blogpost of the season, I swear won’t become a tripfag.

I passed my test with flying colors. But before the good news, my shihan gave me some stern love and went on a needed sermon about the hindrance of my constant tension in everything I do. I even feared I failed given the seriousness of her speech.

Funnily enough, my problems with (physical) stress have been a concern for a lot of time, and trying to flow better in karate is always on my mind, but bad habits are difficult to overcome. I suppose I’ll get there eventually, but for now I’m just happy to reap small rewards of my effort.

I wonder if it was just me overhyping their first test or if it happens to everyone.
>>
>>78647
Congratulations mate. I'm glad you passed your test. I'm sure the stress will go in time, you just need to work on not overthinking everything (something I struggle with too)
>>
i just got my first belt as well, what did you have to do? Ours was pretty grueling, more than 2 hours of work
>>
File: Bild_2021-12-26_225605.png (788 KB, 728x1107)
788 KB
788 KB PNG
what are the exact six moves my boy is trying to train here? I know that are many home training karate videos and such to find, but I find it difficult to be motivated if I am not following in the footsteps of a japanese cartoon character
>>
>>78879
did you try googling them?
>>
>>78879
He's practicing strikes with different parts of his body at different angles. Seiken means he's punching with his fist angled out slightly so he can aim with the middle and pointer knuckle. Shuto is the blade, which is the bottom of your hand to the tip but stressed so it's hardened. Reken I'm not positive about but I think its his fore-arm, so he must be doing Soto-uke. Mae-geri is the thrusting front kick, I suggest practicing with the heel. Mawashi-geri is the roundhouse kick, turn your hips while you snap kick so you hit with the top part of your shin and not the wider, flat part of your shin or you'll break it easier. Not sure about the 5th one. It's dumb to start training it without a sensei though, since you'll fuck up and keep your inevitable bad habits as muscle memory.
>>
>>78914
thx. I think theres a kyokushin institution in my area (ichigeki academy or something), but iirc all contact sports are currently banned here or are otherwise subjected to severe restrictions
>>
>>78914
Riken is another word for Uraken
>>
File: image_2021-12-27_180122.png (421 KB, 848x1040)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>>78914
And Sokuto refers to the blade of the foot, a kick only good for katas desu and looking fancy, unless you spend ages developing this part of your foot, it will break when you kick with it, normal side kicks or even side kicks with the ball of your foot are much better
>>
File: image_2021-12-27_181117.png (1.03 MB, 808x1185)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>78879
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9ObsFHjVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbq7BMR9wM
You have to live it
>>
File: feels_seppuku.jpg (189 KB, 600x809)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>Judo gym owner is trying to get people to rent out the place on days where he isn't teaching.
>Kyokushin Kaikan Russian Boomer stops by querying about a possible deal.
>Hyped to get back into some form of karate.
>Apparently he changed his mind.
>Instead there's now a Xing Yi Quan class and Qigong for the type of women who buy stuff from GOOP.

So close and yet so far.
>>
>>
>>78968
To be fair Qigong is good for breathing and general health, wouldn't be a bad supplement unless the instructor is some crazy person all about chi
>>
Harold Howard did better than I remember

https://youtu.be/h2Cc0ZCPt18
>>
>>78968
Oyama studied (xing) yi Quan, give it a go.
>>
>>79032
Beautiful
>>
>>79094
I've got no issues with Xing/Hsing Yi Quan, but I would've been excited to have reasonable access to karate is all.
>>79039
Qigong itself I've also got no beef with. It's just that the teacher is a middle-aged white woman who I overheard talking with another woman about mommy blog content.
>>
anyone have any good karate books?
>>
>>79174
Haven't read them yet, but What Is Karate? and This Is Karate by Mas Oyama seem worth checking out.
>>
>>79174
I have This Is Karate by Mas Oyama and while not a Karate book the Tao of Jeet Kune Do which is pretty good. The philosophy of the book is basically take what works
>>
anyone have a good daily routine? I've fallen behind with my fitness and get some bad fucking migraines when I try to do a big session so need to build up
>>
File: zenkutsu.gif (15 KB, 283x402)
15 KB
15 KB GIF
>>78749
Ayy, congratulations on your first belt.

My test was divided in two sessions of 1h and 30 minutes (I'm told it should be one continuous session, but the coof measures make impossible to extend the usual class time).

First was techniques and kata according to grades, from 10th kyu to 1st kyu, everyone doing everything. Additionally, we were surprised by the order of presenting a kata of our choice by ourselves in front of the whole class, which is gonna become a standard. Between repeating Taikyoku Sono Ichi and half-assing higher katas, I went with Taikyoku Sono Ni.

Second session I don't know what to call it in English. Fitness test? Teacher checks how many push-ups, squats and crunches you can do in 30 seconds, handstanding and holding a foam noodle and jumping over it without letting it go. Then kumite, which I was warned by colleagues that it was more about technique application and combinations than trying to score a point or a knockout. We all fought each other.

Also, we were supposed to do a written text about some basic stuff: history of Kyokushin, promises, protocol... but it didn't happen. Probably because of the lack of time (not only classtime, but calendar, since a lot of people would be missing during Christmas).

I may be forgetting about something. Was it much different than yours?
>>
>>79262
>>79180
I was looking into something with maybe guides into the more complex hand forms and strikes, especially the open hand techniques, and the conditioning for them
>>
>>79279
Oh cool that's pretty similar to what we did, but since only one guy at the grading was going for 7th Kyu we just did the first three Taikyoku Kata. Yeah we had a similar endurance/general fitness test, that kind of stuff as well as 20 Mae Keage's with each foot from Zenkutsu Dachi, then 20 uchi and soto mawashi with each leg (the hardest part honestly) we don't have any written tests, which is for the best we don't have any "history lessons" so to speak about Kyokushin, except for when I chat to sensei after class. We had a fair bit of sparring as well, first with dojo rules, and then with "clicker" rules which is this weird light but full contact rule set. So that sounds pretty similar to mine
>>
>>75952
Nah
>>76038
Hmm, no, not really. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the sport environment given the thuggery I frequently read about whenever /heem/ gossips about the latest prize fighter to beat up his girlfriend or kids.
>>76063
False dichotomy. People can spar and "compete" with their peers within and between training programs without degenerating into a vain sport.
>>
>>79292
Beware some of the conditioning for the weirder hand strikes. You basically have to fuck up the striking surface with deadening to feeling and inflexibility.
"You cannot master karate and help your grandchild with a jigsaw puzzle in the same life."
>>
>>79294
Bullshit. The MMA fighters who beat their wives are almost invariably drug addicts. It's not like traditional martial arts are free of their own serious issues - lots of instances of karate teachers turning out to be nonces.

Having a sport format leads to more advanced and better training methods as well as giving people something to aim for. In a real fight I'd take a karateka who's done a year of training for a full contact sport format ahead of anyone who's only done forms and conditioning.
>>
I know plenty of complete fucking assholes in Kyokushin who don't compete
>>
>>79361
Most of them are on drugs, bro. You don't think seriously there are any natty athletes at competitive pro levels right? Right?

But honestly, yeah, martial arts in general have a pedo problem. Like half of bullshido today seems to be discussing which BJJ coach got booked for groping students or putting cameras in the women's bathroom toilets.

>Having a sport format leads to more advanced and better training methods
Hmmm, gonna need a citation for that one. "It's just common sense" won't cut it.
In a real fight I'd take a karateka who's done a year of training for a full contact sport format ahead of anyone who's only done forms and conditioning.
Erm, yeah, no shit? What even is your point? What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>79478
>But honestly, yeah, martial arts in general have a pedo problem
Its a problem anywhere adults are in close contact with children. Schools, scouts, churches, what have you. We ought to bring back public hangings for child molesters instead of just moving them around to do more damage. Theyd cut the shit real quick i bet.
>>
>>79478
>Hmmm, gonna need a citation for that one
Not him but being forced to compete at a high level causes adaptation. Everyone at the pro level is looking for a new edge over their competion. Ironically a lot of mma fighters are going back to traditional arts to see what kind of new stuff they can add to their game that others arent prepared for.

At the end of the day, the human body can only move so many ways, but at the same time conflict and competition breeds innovation. A lot of traditional arts may have been born at a time when fighting for life and limb was common, but if all youre doing now is forms in front of a mirror youre stagnating and your art is going to regress as you get further and further removed from pressure.
>>
G
>>
>>79484
I can believe this as far as "competition" goes, but pursuing sport also leads to training for the rules of the sport and the meta of the sport.
>but if all youre doing now is forms in front of a mirror
Not advocating this.
>>
Advertising question.
I am making new fliers for my school as the current ones are kinda information overload and not very effective.

What would something in a flier that would make you interested in checking out a karate school?
What do you look for most in a karate/martial arts school in general?
What do you think is a good way of attracting adult students (right now the classes are mostly filled with kids and teens)?

Do any of you guys run a place and if so do you have any general advice or tips?
I am pretty new to the business part of all this stuff, and the head instructor that is trying to get me to take over is kinda a old hippy type who insist I will just figure it out automagicly or something.
>>
>>79580
Post instructors credentials and accolades. Thats my number 1 thing when picking a new instructor. I want to be sure he knows what the fuck hes doing.
>>
>>79594
>Post instructors credentials and accolades.
Such as? We are all hobbyist so no one has a professional record or anything.
Besides, That stuff is already all over the walls of the school.
>>
>>79580
Free lesson, how many adults do you have? Show one of them doing something impressive
>>
Graduated college and moving to Los Angeles soon, any recommendation for school?

Would love some guidance as I'm a beginner
>>
>>79622
>LA
lucky bastard, think there is world class shit there
>>
>>79622
Are you actually living / working in Los Angeles or are you commuting from the surrounding area?
>>
>>79811
Even in the suburbs there are a ton of gyms of all sorts of styles. Karate, Kung fu, taekwondo, muay Thai, boxing. The world is your fucking oyster in la.
>>
>>79832
That's what I was saying, if you're closer to North Hollywood I would strongly recommend Hayastan's MMA Academy, only place around I know that teaches Sambo, but more importantly for this thread Benny Urquidez teaches Kickboxing there. His assistant coach is going to be explaining a ton since he has some brain damage, but they're great teachers.
>>
>>60644
>metadoom
>no metakarate
>>
>>76466
You do realise that all the old school JKA fighters are now just olympic style (WKF) coaches. The rules are the same but people have just moved away from the robotic semi contact stuff and more towards the stupid screaming full extension front punch on one leg bullshit
t. Does WKF karate and my coach was one of the old school no mitts fighters
>>
Do knuckle pushups build those super bruised karate knuckles?
does hitting punching a sturdy tree replace a makiwara?
>>
>>79604
>no professional record
go get one then RETARD
>>
>>80179
yeah, start on soft surfaces, move to harder surfaces, you'll feel the difference
>>
>>80172
>Does WKF
but why
>>
>>80179
I think knuckle pushups are more about keeping your carpal joint in proper alignment for correct muscle engagement during the movement.

I'm honestly not sure it's worth it to fuck up your hands with a makiwara, though, when you could just wrap your wrists and work a heavy bag.
>>
>>80323
you wont fuck your hand up on a makiwara if you do it right, the same goes for using the heavy bag or anything similar desu
>>
>>80172
>>80172
My question is why is it so much gayer not a statement of the way it is gayer
>>
>>75010
Proper Judo style (all Japanese martial arts desu) breakfalls. Basically is train yourself to not put your arm out to break your fall.
>>
>>77688
>>77729
If you're having knee pain from Kata read this

https://www.karatebyjesse.com/knee-pain-karate-solution/

Early Kyokushin kata are Shotokan kata and the deep zenkutsu dachi is hard on heavier or taller people. If you look at the body structure of an Okinawan in 1890 and compare to yourself it's a big difference.

knee pain from general training I foam roll my hamstrings which helps relieve pressure in my kneecaps and check out Kneesovertoesguy on youtube.
>>
>>79174
Sabaki Method: Karate in the Inner Circle - Joko Ninomiya
The Young Lions - Judd Reid

Besides comprehensive guidebooks of a specific style the most helpful karate books are usually biographies by past masters.

>>79292
Stick to knuckle conditioning with a makiwara unless you have a teacher to guide you, and even then be cautious.
>>
I been boxing for several years and Im looking to get into shotokan karate as there is a ska dojo right next to me.

Is my boxing experience going to get in the way?
>>
>>80841
Not at all. The footwork is different but you should be able to hold your own since most karatekas have atrocious punch game.
>>
>>80841
Boxing makes you better at most martial arts, with shotokan you might be told to put your hands down in the Shoto stance during kumite but otherwise you’ll be good.
>>
>>80841
no, it helps. That said, in order to learn the style properly don't use boxing techniques for a while when you do karate. You will just get muddled. You will get to a point where you are comfortable enough in Karate to merge your boxing into it.

Once I was sparring in Karate with a guy and got swept easily because I was in my boxing stance

t. Did Boxing for a few years and currently teaching Krotty
>>
>>80848
>>80850
>>80855

Thanks I’ll try to go and be a blank slate. I was just afraid of my muscle memory kicking in and hurting someone or being disrespectful
>>
>>61506
WKF style sparring is an okay tool to learn sparring distance or if you want to train sparring without any damage. It doesnt replace real sparring and in my opinin should have stayed a training tool and never the taekwandoish olympic bullshit it has become. This sort of sparrring style had his high time in the late 80s by the JKA
>>
meant to post this in here desu
>>80739
what sort of level of karate should I have before I can start "testing" myself in places like MMA and kickboxing? also how do i get that "killer" mindset, and focus on striking and scoring on guys during sparring?
>>
>>80921
You need to start cross training to learn the additional skills necessary to try either. Visit an MMA gym or kickboxing gym and try a few classes and see if you like it.
>>
>>80923
oh I've done them before, my sensei also does 1 on 1 kickboxing coaching etc, we do knockdown karate on tuesdays, and kickboxing on sundays, never trained any grappling etc but I hear all these stories and see all these videos of guys who've only done one style doing cross style fights etc, wondering how I could test my karate
>>
File: goju_knuckles.jpg (101 KB, 771x500)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>80391
So why do all of those 90-year-old Okinawan hachidans have fists that look like the surface of the goddamn moon?
>>
>>80926
Grappling is very important in MMA or really just anything where it's allowed. To stay in the karate realm, you would need to familiarize yourself with the throws and sweeps from a grapple that may be trained from kata bunkai and practice them with somebody determined not to let go if you want a prayer of countering good wrestling. Even that just might not be enough if you're testing yourself against somebody who knows that body chess grappling logic.
This is an issue in karate because grappling wasn't viewed as something a student had to be taught. In part it was because nobody wanted to encourage tussling on the ground in a self-defense scenario or even upright if your enemy had a shank. Mostly though it was just taken for granted that a young Ryukyuan man already knew how to wrestle by doing "tegumi" since preadolescence.

I don't think you can really "test" pure karate like that without picking street fights, so I'd encourage you to do like I did and pick up judo (assuming it exists where you are).
>>
>>80841
Having boxing on top of your karate is going to make you a better fighter in the long run.

One of the problems with Shotokan (speaking as a Shotokan guy) is the lack of a boxing game. Lyoto Machida is the most famous modern day Shotokan fighter and he's a textbook example. His superior sense of timing, footwork, and distance control got him the UFC belt. He'd always be at the range where his opponent needed to take an extra step to reach him. When his opponent would enter into range, he'd slide out of the way from any danger and have them hitting at air. When his opponent finally committed to chasing Machida (expecting for him to run away again), that's when he'd counter and knock their lights out. Machida started losing once they figured out that he has no head movement whatsoever. He'd throw his picture perfect reverse punch, butwould leave his chin out on a platter before moving out of punching range. Machida's footwork saved him against less competent strikers, but savvier boxers would catch him cold during the in-between time after Machida would counter but before he re-established distance.

Kyoji Horiguchi (former Rizin/Bellator champion and UFC title challenger) is a great example of someone who's mixed his boxing and karate together. Kyoji fights similarly to Machida in that he stands at an exaggerated distance and blitzes in to intercept his foe with a thunderous counter punch. Unlike Machida, Kyoji incorporates a lot of ducks, weaves, and frames from boxing so that he's safe when his opponent tries to counter his counter.

Like the other anons are saying, you want to empty your cup while learning, but once you've established your karate game, start incorporating it with your boxing.
>>
>>80926
I'd probably say just try kickboxing and ask you coach about it, and if you want to try MMA as well you should look for a dedicated MMA gym to train grappling as well. If you haven't trained any takedown defence you'll just get taken down immediately by whoever you face
>>
>>80939
They make look pretty messed up but they also basically cheese grate their skin using all sorts of tools, they spend like every day smacking the back of their hands into walls etc, if you just work the makiwara like a heavy bag, it'll definitely improve the strength of your bones and your wrist, your knuckles might start to become quite rough and calloused but they only look like that if you go too far. Goju guys condition the entirety of their hands, they do stuff like hitting their toes with little hammers etc. If you just work a makiwara with enough force to make it move but not enough to hurt yourself, you will be fine.
>>
Who here practices Bunkai, who has a teacher who knows/teaches Bunkai?

Ever tried making up your own?
>>
>>81181
Tired, but instructors were clueless and the other blackbelts lost intrest after awhile.
Now I just go through the motions and use forms/kata as a teaching tool for training basics to uncoordinated people as well as a method of preserving tradition. I don't think it has much function at making someone better at fighting once they already got a solid mind-body connection, nor do I think it has any self defense application.

But I could just be a ignorant idiot who doesn't get kata because I had shit teachers. Whatever the case I tried to do bunkai but didn't really get anywhere with it.
I rather just do active drills or sparing games for something similar but useful.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.