[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rideproud.jpg (208 KB, 1000x1000)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
Ride Proud Edition!

Droppers, forks and brakes, that's what really matters in life!
Also most of us are all over at >>>/n/ because that's the proper cycling board.
>>
>>60440
first for Pivot
>>
File: switchblade.png (317 KB, 1906x679)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
>>60448
>>
File: pivot_switchblade.jpg (3.6 MB, 3000x2250)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>60451
I forgot I had a pic of mine. XT/SLX build. Since then I've replaced the tires with a 2.6 Dissector and a 2.4 Rekon.
>>
>>60455
Nice, where are you riding?
>>
File: IMG_20200112_143129-01.jpg (622 KB, 2000x912)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>
>>60440
But mountainbikes are not for transportation itself they are for shredding and having fun, so this is the proper board. /n/ is for autists.
>>
>>60470
Who fucking cares this board is slower than /n/
Slower than fucking /n/
>>
>>60472
fuck off. The only mountain bikes on /n/ are owned by poorfag commuters riding on bent frames from the 80s that they pulled out of the trash and use to get around their urban shitholes. This is for mountain biking as a sport, not using it to deliver chinese food around NYC.
I'm well aware of /n/ and I choose not to talk to them. If you want to talk to them so bad, then go back, nobody is forcing you to stay here
>>
>>60440
I wanna get into mtb and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any good hardtails under £1k?
>>
>>60476
I have like 4 mtb related threads from /n/ up at all times because this shit thread updates once every 2 weeks
>>
File: 1627481090533.gif (381 KB, 384x238)
381 KB
381 KB GIF
>>60440
No, /mtb/ is for /xs/, not for /n/iggerland. As the other guys said, /n/ is a circlejerk for 90s bikes picked up from the literal trashcans, assembled with chink aliexpress components and the city nogs then claim that its rated for mtb and everything else is a gimmick when the only time they've seen dirt instead of pavement in their miserable city insect life was when the contruction truck bringing material spilled some dirt on the sidewalk. Then they will fight you and do their poorfag cope of muuh consOoooomer for buying actual mtb gear and bikes for actual mountains they've only seen on the Ad screens in their hobo nog infested piss smelling metro station.
>>
>>60493
I mean sure whatever, have an internet race war between subreddits, but a good chunk of the people posting about mountain bikes on 4chan do it on /n/, if 2 posts a week is good enough for you, go ahead stick it out here
>>
>>60494
Alright, we will, now fuck off
>>
File: IMG_20210804_192247.jpg (360 KB, 2016x1134)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
More progress on the build. I made a lot progress today. I took the cockpit and brakes off my Spectral and moved it to this. I tried to install the BB today but my dumbass put the sleeve on the drive side instead of the non drive side so I have to remove the non-drive side cup with the sleeve and reinstall it from there. It's easy but I'm just tired of working on the bike. Once I get that and the cranks installed, then I just have to wait for the wheels to be delivered so I can put the tires, cassette, and brake rotors on them, then I install the chain and make final adjustments. I kind of wish I dropped $800 on an AXS Reverb dropper just because the cable is always a pain in the in the ass to get at the right tension. I put GX AXS on it so no fiddling around with cables. I need to trim down the brake hoses, especially the rear.
>>
>>60494
Why do you care so much what we do faggot. Like everyone else is telling you, fuck outta here, no one cares.
>>
>>60567
Because there’s only so many bike related posts on 4chan at any one given moment and it’s nice to know it’s all in one convenient place, a board practically dedicated to bicycles and also like trains or something
This is /asp/ and /out/ all over again, yeah there’s a single mtb thread every few weeks, but why bother keeping up with the board when 90% of the content is in a different place
>>
>>60493
I dunno man it seems like most of the traffic on /xs/ isn’t particularly into bikes at all, where on /n/ even if they are fucking hobos riding 1978 shitters, there’s a better chance they’ll appreciate a good bikepost
>>
I got a 26 inch full SUS bike and i'm not planning on changing!
>>
>>60622
Lots of people still love their 26ers. I want to build a 26er dirt jumper for my nearby bike park (lake cunningham action sports park) but money is tight since I'm finishing up another build. Seems like a good way to mix things up with my full squish and drop bar bikes
>>
>>60622
I rode a while back my dads old hardtail 26in which is the one I used when I first began mtb. I felt the wheel could get stuck on a pothole. It also had a very very small wheelbase, narrow handlebars, rim brakes, smol cranks, steep headtube angle, thin tire(ride 2.4) and pogo stick suntour.
>>
>>60694
Great pasta, bro!
>>
>>60575
>>60577
Have you not notice a distinct difference in cycling content on here and on /n/? On /n/ they will rage at you if your bike has disc brakes, a lot of squish, 1x12, or carbon. I use to think they were all just being retarded for lols. But they are actually retarded. The only reason to post there is to bait them into getting angry. I did it with a post about 1x12 drivetrains the other week.
>>
>>60713
>The only reason to post there is to bait them into getting angry.
You'll grow up some day, maybe.
>>
>>60713
Uhh not really, when /xs/ was made, there wasn’t really any shift in mtb content on /n/, hell, honestly I’m pretty sure mtb content on /n/ has gone up since /xs/ was made
Where do you normally go for bike related talk involving n-words? If you didn’t go to /n/ in the past, there’s nowhere else on 4chan you could’ve been mtbposting, /out/s bikepacking thread hits like 10 posts before 404 and any futile attempts of mtb posts on /asp/ immediately gets the chair
>>
>>60713
Yeah they’re insufferable hipsters but most of them actually do keep up with bike stuff, and even though it’s primarily road, there’s enough overlap and a lot of the posts aren’t road/mtb specific anyways
Carbon is also full of disadvantages and refusing carbon is a completely valid choice don’t @ me
>>
>>60716
This is the /asp/ thread now
And that’s the bottom line
>>
>>60716
But there is no MTB content on /n/, at least content discussing modern MTBing like /xs/ does.

>>60717
> Carbon is also full of disadvantages and refusing carbon is a completely valid choice don’t @ me
Spoken like someone who has never rode a carbon bike in their life.
>>
>>60726
I’ve ridden a carbon bike, the problem is paying a significant amount of money for one and knowing what large percentage of people broke their same bike within 2 years

Using a 3 year warranty on a fucking bike frame was unheard of before carbon became the mainstream material of choice
>>
>>60726
Ok, tell me all about how carbon is the wonder material for mountain biking
It’s not vertical compliance, your shocks handle that. It’s not lateral compliance, your wheels handle that and frame and hub axles are now overbuilt for high lateral stiffness so frame-wise it’s not even a point being made. It’s not lightness, a carbon version of a metal mountain bike is MAYBE a pound lighter, it needs to be overbuilt to almost the exact same weight anyways. What is it? Why is carbon so great for mtb?
Is it because you needed a reason to invisiframe your whole bike without your friends calling you a pussy?
>>
>>60728
All of the things you said are wrong and it is obvious you never rode one. So lets go through them all.
Primarily you have weight difference. Carbon bikes are lighter than you think. When you ride the same bike in carbon and alu you will understand that the carbon version accelerates faster, takes less effort to pedal, and has significantly lighter handling. The more weight you drop from the bike the better these attributes become.

Vertical and lateral compliance can be better tuned. Despite what you assume forces exerted on the bike are not completely focused on the suspension and wheels.

> Is it because you needed a reason to invisiframe your whole bike without your friends calling you a pussy?
Lol. I didn't even invisiframe my carbon enduro bike.
>>
>>60732
Bike weights are readily available online, the weight gap is closing faster than ever in mtb, metal/carbon wheels have already started hitting weight parity
In road sure, but I pointed this out specifically for mtb, carbon with reliable durability is getting to the same weight as aluminum
>>
>>60732
For the record I wouldn’t buy a steel full suspension bike either, when you have 180mm of vertical “flex” built in, and your carbon single wall ankleing wheels laterally flexing, you want the frame to be as stiff and predictable as possible
>>
>>60735
Wanna post some then? In my experience carbon bikes are always lighter than alu.
>>
>>60737
Ever wonder how guerilla gravity carbon is so tough?
>>
>>60738
>advertised as some of, if not the strongest carbon bike around
>weighs as much as the lightest comparable aluminum bike around
Wow you sure showed him
>>
>>60738
>alu rear triangle
so half the bike is aluminium.

> chain stay length that does change with size.
Fuck the geo is going to he shit.

> flipchip suspension
What a pointless gimmic.

Why don't you post a worse fucking bike to prove your point.
>>
>>60740
The flipchip can change the chainstay length you dumdum. Go back to GCN if you think flipchips are stupid they’re all positives and the only drawback is that it’s expensive to implement on CARBON. This addresses the point that the mtb world is heavily split on chainstay length, there’s plenty of scandinavian freaks crying for long chainstays, and plenty of people wanting short as possible chainstays, like myself. They’re both better for different kinds of riding
Maybe get your head around geometry differences on the bike before you start mentally investing in compliance differences on the bike
>>
File: IMG_20210805_151910.jpg (321 KB, 2016x1134)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>60566
I figured out why my cranks couldn't be installed. Turns out I'm a damn retard and I misunderstood the instructions. I didn't need the two additional spacers in the bottom bracket. So I took them out, tightened them up, and then put in the cranks now I can tighten them down properly. Feels like there is a very small amount of drag when I turn the cranks so I'll have to fiddle with it and the preload adjustment some more later.
Tomorrow I get the wheels and after I put the wheelset together and attach them to the bike, I have to make sure I don't fug up installing the X01 chain, adjusting the GX AXS derailleur, getting the dropper cable tension right, seat height, brakes might need a bleed too since I'm changing out the pads and using new rotors. I'm also putting fenders on the front and rear since these types of tires like to fling rocks up at my face and I want to keep rocks out of the crunch zone
Shortening the rear brake hose is last on my to do list but it's awkwardly long.
Am I missing anything? I've put carbon paste on my seat post to keep it from slipping. There is grease on the bb and crank threads, and on the headset bearings and contact points. This is the first bike I've ever built and I am not a professional bike mechanic, I'm just a cheap and impatient guy who doesn't want to pay a LBS a hundred dollars to work on my bike and give it back to me 1-2 weeks later. Putting this bike together has been pretty easy but only because I have a threaded bottom bracket, the headset cups were preinstalled, and I bought my fork used from a guy who already had it cut to the length I wanted and threaded for a One Up EDC.
I really hope this bike rides like how I want it to. Everything about this build is so it climbs almost as good as a Revel Ranger or Ibis Ripley, and can descend better
>>
>>60742
How do you know the steerer is the length you wanted if you’ve never ridden the bike before
Cutting steerers flush is fucking retarded, but a little room to work with is acceptable, your riding style changes and your bones/muscles change, the perfect stack isn’t something you can calculate
>>
>>60741
>The flipchip can change the chainstay length you dumdum
Not by enough to compensate for using the same chain stay lengths across all frame sizes. Also, it isn't just the chain stay lengths, it is all the other geo measurements. Flip chips are a weak answer to poorly optimised frame design and cost cutting measures (i.e. using the same rear triangle across all sizes). You are better off buying something like a Norco where they have put the resources into developing and producing frames with good geometry, regardless the size.
>>
>>60746
That’s the point, different people want different things and they’re not going to make a 160mm full suspension enduro bike model with 1cm longer chainstays to complement their 160mm full suspension enduro bike model with 1cm shorter chainstays, and they’re will always be a massive split between short and long chainstays, just like the split between high BB and low BB, the split (if any) between fork offset preferences, these are all very minor details that everybody has their own personal preference on, adjustable geometry makes sense for today’s niche and picky buyers
I wholeheartedly believe every performance mountain bike deserves replaceable dropouts with chainstay adjust, the ability to accept anglesets and BB height adjustments, if tuning your suspension (which changes geometry) is pure and normal, tuning your geometry should be just fine
>>
>>60749
I will drop you a nugget of wisdom. There is more than one MTB manufacture out there, there is a lot in fact, and they all build bike with different geometry spec's. Buy the one that has the geo you want.

> I wholeheartedly believe every performance mountain bike deserves replaceable dropouts with chainstay adjust, the ability to accept anglesets and BB height adjustments, if tuning your suspension (which changes geometry) is pure and normal, tuning your geometry should be just fine

I can think of nothing more pointless to build into bikes.
>>
>>60751
It’s not enough manufacturers lmao you don’t get it, there’s so much personal preference now that even a 100 manufacturers each with one bike per travel category, all with one different geo spec, couldn’t fulfill every persons ideal frame
The big point you’re missing here is that adjustable geometry costs almost nothing, doesn’t compromise the integrity of the bike at all, and allows more options per dollar to the buyer. I’ve owned a bike where I’ve slapped it into “low BB” for 11 years before changing it, and I own a bike where I change some kind of geometry twice a year, I own a bike with a dual position 150-120mm travel fork and let me tell you, geometry adjustment in 2007 was a lot further ahead and more wild than a fucking 4mm flipchip today that has zero downsides
This isn’t about preferences, you just want a manufacturer thats good enough at advertising to convince you that their bike is absolutely flawless now and forevermore
>>
>>60751
And on one of my other bikes (27.5 YT Capra), I really wish I could raise the BB just slightly, the rest of the bike feels great, I love everything about it but there’s no flipchips or anything, I’ve had to resort to suspension changes (+10mm travel, new airshaft to ride higher up, stiffer rear shock, fucking shortening my pedal pins for that extra 1-2mm of clearance)
People will change their geometry whether or not there’s an easy, fast, consumer-pleasing low-cost way to adjust it, it’s all benefits, the only argument against adjustable geometry is emotional and that’s retarded
>>
>>60743
I wanted it at 7 inches because it's short enough to not have a big chimney and long enough to give me plenty of room to find the right configuration with my spacers
>>
File: m9.jpg (64 KB, 800x534)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>60755
Adjustable geometry is great if you're racing, I loved my m9 because nearly every aspect of the geometry and suspension could be adjusted easily for each track. Though I think the vast majority of mtb owners don't race their bikes, so I imagine most wouldn't care much for adjustability or minor geometry differences. So manufacturers probably don't see much, if any extra profit by adding adjustability
>>
>>60832
I hate it when bikes have flip chips but they're not easy to use. The flipchip on Canyon's Strive is a lever on the handlebar you flick as easy as any shifter or dropper remote. The flipchip on my Evil Following requires me to undo five bolts on each side of the bike, literally flip over the chip, then put the bolts back in. It's not complicated or hard but it's not a lever like the Strive
>>
File: IMG_20210806_180530.jpg (574 KB, 2016x1134)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
>>60742
Here it is. Took me about 2 months of gathering up parts and waiting for them to ship. I've only ridden it up and down my street and the suspension needs some dialing in. SRAM Eagle AXS shifts almost as good as mechanical Shimano but I got it for the ease of setup and the crash resistance, I have no idea how to turn it off without pulling the battery. It doesn't really feel lighter than my aluminum Canyon Spectral but that's also because my gravel bike is a very lightweight 3T Exploro RaceMax.

My brake hoses are too damn long and I'm going to stop by a bike shop tomorrow to pick up a hydraulic hose cutter. I have a lot of experience bleeding my brakes so I don't expect it to take long
All Evils look the same but this is a 2019 Evil Following MB(More Better'er) size medium with:
Rockshox Super Deluxe RCT,
Fox 34 Factory Fit 4w/ 130mm travel
Hayes Dominion A4 brakes, 203mm in the front, 180mm in the rear
BERD TR30 wheels
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5" front
Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4" rear
PNW Loam dropper w/ 170mm travel, probably should have gotten the 150mm but this is acceptable
PNW Loam Lever
WTB Silverado Saddle
SRAM Eagle GX AXS derailleur and shifter
SRAM X01 Chain
Garbaruk 10-50T cassette (XD driver)
Cane Creek Hellbender 70 BSA 30 bottom bracket
Race Face Atlas 30mm spindle cinch cranks
Race Face cinch 32T chain ring
One Up Components Bash guard
One Up Components EDC V2 tool+stem nut thingy
One Up Components alloy pedals
PNW Loam grips
PNW Range Handlebar and stem
I think that's it
>>
>>60969
Don’t they make a fox 34 with GRIP2 now? At this point I don’t know if I’d even go with fit4 anymore, even for XC, but also I was thinking this was 140mm or more
Idk for a medium sized person, but for me (large), I’ve been slowly raising my dropper up the seatpost as I get more flexible and comfortable being aggressively positioned on trails, you might grow into the 170mm. You also have a gravel bike so maybe you’re already used to having a saddle shoved way up your ass
And please tell me DHF/DHR is actually your preferred combo for some weird reason and you didn’t just go off of what’s been popular the last 10 years, there’s better tire combos nowadays for grip or rolling resistance
Also if I was going AXS at all I would absolutely get the AXS reverb, the dropper is probably one of the nicest places to have wireless and it removes the hydraulic line that makes all the other reverbs such shit
Cool bike, go ride it
>>
File: IMG_20210806_190941.jpg (463 KB, 2016x1134)
463 KB
463 KB JPG
>>61009
I kind of wish I did get AXS Reverb just for the easy set up but they were sold out everywhere, same with One Up droppers, and I know PNW droppers are great from experience. The reason I say I should have gone with the 150mm is because I want to drop the post some more but this is as far as it goes into the seattube. The height is still comfortable to ride because it's like you said, I am used to having a saddle shoved up my ass.

I chose the Fit4 over the Grip2 because it's more set it and forget it while the Grip2 is for people who are all about tuning. I bought the Fox 34 from a guy on Pinkbike who took it off his Yeti SB115 to put on Grip2. These Kashima coated stanchions are so slick, definitely less friction than standard black stanchions. I don't know how to service these yet and I still have a lot of gear for servicing rockshox forks with 35mm stanchions. At least the Super Deluxe RCT is something I know how to work on.

I chose the DHF and DHR combo because I have DHR front and Aggressor rear on my other bike. I wanted to try something new and I know that the DHR doesn't slip on me. I don't need Assegai or Dissector on the front of this so I went with DHF since DHF/DHR is the golden combo. I chose tanwall for the style/ I would have gone with tires from another brand but through all the shit I've been through with the DHR and Aggressors, I've never had a puncture, leak, or burp. I know Maxxis tires have my back. The One Up EDC stem tool is pretty neat. I used the chain breaker to put this chain on. SRAM's official guide for chain length sucks ass

I assume by the Lyrik that your YT is a Capra. I really wanted to get one last year but I didn't want to wait months for them to come back in stock so I bought a Canyon instead. I already made plans months in advance for tomorrow so no I have to push my riding to sunday.
>>
>>61015
Yes I know my brake hoses are too fucking long. I'm shortening them tomorrow
>>
What do you guys think about climbing?
>>
>>61027
Or is this more your thing? It also costs money you know
>>
>>60969
Looks nice, but tan sidewalls...
You could go for some michelin dh22s.
And do you have an estimate of around how much the total is?
>>
>>61029
>>61027
I can climb but my limit is at most 1000m, I do 600m700m without issue but I can push to 1000m if the descent is worth it since I sometimes take my FF helmet. What I do often is take a bus to the mountain and climb from there or start the descent. And If I decide to climb I still do like 300 or 400m.

This is the one I'm planning for next sunday or saturday. But at the beginning I'll climb to 2082m from 1349m and join the set of trails at 1200m
>>
>>61015
The Capras great, it’d probably be the first bike I’d ever sell but I don’t wanna sell it, it’s bouncy and super playful and I’ve learned a lot with it since 2019, I see almost no disadvantages with the 27.5 wheels + big travel compared to my 29” bike. The shock doesn’t have enough adjustment for me but I’m going to change that soon (to coil), the rest of the frame works as good as I’d want it to so I think it’s worth upgrading the “cheap” base model Capra.
But on the other hand steel is real, and I know my hardtail isn’t a buy and sell kind of bike, plus I can ride everything my enduro bike rides with it.
I’m soon gonna have a rigid drop bar gravel/mtb kind of bike which will fulfill basically any kind of road riding I’d ever want to do in the future (I don’t ride road), so it makes sense not to sell “the” roadworthy bike
>>
Anybody else have problems with their hands hurting when going downhill? My local trails are full of small rocks embedded in the berms and middle of the trail. Causes a lot of rattling on the bars when you go through them at high speeds and I can only do like 3 or 4 runs a day at our local bike park. Is this normal?
>>
>>61051
>ooh my hands feel like steel bars, I don’t even know if I’m braking or not I have no feeling
>pull over for 30 seconds
>continue shredtilldead
Or you could try thicker grips, new gloves, adjusting bar height/roll, softening your suspension maybe, tire pressure, lots of stuff you can do you help stop your hands from jiggling
[spoiler]none of it works
>>
File: 7689127358910.png (389 KB, 419x475)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
>>61055
I've been riding downhill for a while and never experienced it before and this is my first season at the bike park so I was hoping it was something I could fix but
>all of that
>none of it works
is there ANYTHING that will make it better? Does it go away the more you ride? Or is it something you just have to get used to?
>>
File: 113.gif (462 KB, 336x240)
462 KB
462 KB GIF
Sorry in advance if spoonfeeding is looked down upon here, but had an upgrade question.

Got a hardtail earlier this year, a 2021 Rockhopper base 29 model. I feel like I have already outgrown some of the components (the fork in particular) and want to make some upgrades. My question is if this frame is even worth building upon, or if I should just sell it and upgrade to a better prebuilt bike?

For reference my current set up:
>SR Suntour XCE 29 fork (complete walmart shit)
>2 x 8 I think, unclutched with lots of chain slap and slips sometimes but nbd for me currently
>Ground Control Sport Specialized tires, I wan't to go tubeless and could use better grip

I am thinking of adding a dropper (even worth it with front derailleur?), upgrading the fork to a RockShox Judy Silver TK, which will at least give me a lockout and some somewhat predictable feedback and preload that actually works, and grabbing some budget tires that I can convert to tubeless. Does this make sense or financially is there a bike that can offer all of this for around $900?
>>
>>60440
>cyclists are faggots
not surprised
>>
File: 1627857252153.webm (256 KB, 640x640)
256 KB
256 KB WEBM
>>61102
Better off upgrading to a better overall bike. If you want to stay on the same kind of trails(fireroads?), the bike will be enough. The fork at most to an air one will be an upgrade you'll notice and really appreciate. A better prebuilt bike would be cheaper than upgrading the current bike.
>you gotta give terrain and trails for context
>>
File: IMG_20210529_142027.jpg (624 KB, 2016x1134)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
>>61037
just checked my spreadsheet and it's $6666 excluding the tax and shipping I paid. I saved money by cannibalized parts from my other bike which I sadly have to sell because I know I won't be riding it as much. I didn't include those parts in the total but I'm sure it adds another $800

Michelin tires are hard to find. I'll check them out someday but I'm familiar with Maxxis tires so I stuck with them. I rode with a guy on a different Evil (these bikes literally all look the same to me so I had to make sure mine was special) and he had the Wild Enduro tires. He said he liked them and that they're soft. Everyone runs Maxxis here because it just works for our terrain, I sometimes see Specialized tires. I rarely see other brands but if I do, I make sure to ask them how they like the tires.

>>61045
Gravel bikes are fun as hell, you can do whatever you want with them and go where ever you want with them on the same ride. I have 3 wheelsets for mine because the 3T Exploro Racemax is such a fast and versatile platform. It's great going on a long ride and alternating between paved and unpaved surfaces. Even with my street wheelset, I still hit light gravel on some rides. Sometimes I think about buying a pure road bike but it's much more fun being able to go wherever I want.
>>
>>61197
I’m actually buying this “gravel” bike as soon as it comes into the shop
That’ll make it my 4th bike including the one I share with my friend, with the smallest tire size between them of 2.2”
I plan to get a spare wheelset/tires for road as well
>>
What's a reasonable price for a decent dirt jumper? Being able to use it for dirt, park, and riding around urban areas, makes it really appealing to me as someone who wants to try a variety of styles.
>>
>>61029
>humble brag bragging
>Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>61062
Go slower over them, numbnuts.
>But I need to go fast
Are you training for a race or are you out there for fun?
>Fast = Fun
Ride on the road then.
>>
>>61102
You're not going to find anything like that for less than $1500, if you could even locate something in stock. You could luck out on something used. If it were me, I'd start with a new fork and a dropper. Don't waste money on budget tires, buy good ones. Keep in mind a new bike would also, in all likelihood, need better aftermarket tires too.
>>
I finally rode it today. It rips, it climbs, the wheels make it so agile. I had high expectations and they were exceeded. I'm really glad I splurged on a GX AXS derailleur because the shifts are crisp, instant, and smooth. I thought it was a gimmick but it's not. One weird thing about it is that it shifted accidentally on my 2nd descent but when I rode through chunkier terrain later and much faster, it didn't happen. I guess my finger accidentally hit it. I've seen a lot of reviewers complain about that happening but those guys also ride with their thumbs on the shifter for some reason
>>
>>61281
Thumb on the shifter is a hand fatigue thing, at least for me, gripping a bar and neutrally resting your hands are definitely different feels
I noticed this and took it a step further with “togs” so I can just kinda set my hands on top of the bars if I want
>>
>>61227
1k minimum
>>
File: gloves.jpg (204 KB, 1409x1111)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
What do you guys suggest for gloves? I went to a proper park (with a lift etc) this weekend and took some spills. Ordered these for the meanwhile because they were $20 and seem to fit the bill, but should I invest in something good? or are they just gonna get torn up and should be considered a consumable
>>
>>61392
I use these gloves for parks where I have to weave in between trees.
https://sixsixone.com/collections/evo-1They don't have padding in the palms but it doesn't bother me at all since I have great grips and don't death grip
>>
Can you rent a dj to try or just regular mountain bikes?
>>
Is there a certain degree of "in shape" I need to be to mountain bike or can I use it to go from couch potato to in shape in the first place?
>>
>>61428
Just keep riding and you'll be able to ride more. Most riders have dad-bods anyway, and that's excluding the e-bikers.
>>
>>61392
Consider gloves consumables. I probably go through a pair every six months.
>>
>>61428
You need to be in shape to do more advanced stuff like downhill/enduro or climbing through rocks, but that all comes the more you ride. I started riding as a skelly boy a few years ago but I never felt like my progression was hindered by how out of shape I was.
>>
>>61392
Gloves are consumables, around $25 is the price for name brand MTB gloves, and expensive ones don't last longer
>>
File: lowquality.jpg (4 KB, 250x250)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>61251
Going slow is boring, where's the fun or difficulty in going 2km/h? Might as well skip a step and just walk.
>>61062
I think a lot of people overlook brake lever reach, having it far out causes me a lot of pain. I usually set mine to pull to the bar.
>>
>>61428
I went from couch potato to 500ft elevation on my first ride, almost threw up, 800ft second ride and 1000ft third ride, now I’m comfortably doing 3000ft climbs a year later
I have 10 years of being a chairliftbro though, and it’s not even close to the same fitness level as any kind of sustained climbing
>>
>>61428
If we’re talking lift access downhill, no, you can go these as a completely stagnant person (who knows how to ride a bike) and have fun. Strength helps a lot though, need to muscle around the bike when you’re going downhill and you’re gonna be getting rattled the whole time (muscle mass and strong joints helps)
And of course cardio is always good stuff, but it’s really not needed for lift access downhill unless you’re wanting to stretch the day on 5+ hours of riding
>>
>>61250
I think I’ve visited the strava website once ever to put in my bike data and weight
>>
Convince me to buy an ebike mtb
My main opposition to them is that it’s not legal to ride 99% of trails with them, making them pointless
>>
File: 1613101018144.jpg (7 KB, 235x215)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>61486
>182m of climbing and descent.
Don't you have mountains near you or big hills that you can climb for a long descent?
But yes, get one if your are going to do that retarded stuff. And no if you can't ride anywhere else besides that trail.
>>
>>61497
Do you people really turn off strava when doing chairlift rides? Like is this not recognizable as a normal lift access bike park day graph?
>>
>>61596
>Do you people really turn off strava when doing chairlift rides?
No, leave it there. I don't mess with strava while I ride except when I'm lost and looking the correct trail
>Like is this not recognizable as a normal lift access bike park day graph?
No, who the fuck would create a lift just for 182m descent. If there was one, there would be one taking you higher.
>>
>>61682
Most bike parks are just off-season ski parks, which often use multiple shorter chairlifts to get around the mountain
I’m assuming this isn’t a fucking Swiss 8 mile long gondola
>>
>>61700
Checked. Also strava sucks
>>
>>60440
> Ride Proud Edition

Is this one of this LGBTIFNAHDKEHRWK references?
>>
File: jmp.png (3.17 MB, 1238x860)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB PNG
I will ride today
>>
How big is the difference in brake modulation between shimano and sram? I've only ever used sram brakes and I'm thinking about giving xtrs a go.
>>
File: nutshang.jpg (42 KB, 711x741)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>61936
Shimanos don't have dogshit modulation in comparison to SRAM, SRAM just gives you more before it locks

Even if I bought a bike that came with XTR or Code RSC brakes, I would still replace them with Hayes Dominion A4s.These brakes are so damn good that I'll keep using them as long as they're available.
>>
>>61940
So the only difference is that shimano applies more force per mm of pull at the lever? That's all?

>>61935
Nice, where is that?
>>
>>60464
That was at O'bannon Woods in Indiana
>>
>>61944
Shimano brakes have a reputation for feeling more "on/off" than SRAM but they have improved a lot in this department recently. I used a guy's XT brakes on his Forbidden Druid and they felt fine. It didn't feel on off and it had enough modulation for me. The modulation wasn't as good as my Hayes Dominions but if I bought a bike with them, I wouldn't complain about them and call them dogshit. For me, a big part of it is the bleeding process. SRAM and Hayes are so much easier and faster to bleed than Shimano and Magura but you run the risk of getting DOT 5.1 brake fluid on your components if you're not careful whereas the mineral oil in Shimano and Magura brakes is non-corrosive.

And this is Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland, CA. I took the screenshot using Strava's heatmap feature. It's really useful for checking out the elevation and route of your past rides. This would be so much more useful if you could use it to see other peoples' rides so you could have a better idea of what a trail is like.
>>
>>61944
Literally just lever feel. I used Sram Codes and whatever the current generation Shimano XTs are back to back at Thredbo and there was no difference in performance. The on/off feeling of Shimano brakes is well deserved while SRAM brake have no discernable bite point but the braking power ramps up the harder you pull.

I would either buy for preferred lever feel or to match your drivetrain.
>>
>>61955
>SRAM and Hayes are so much easier and faster to bleed than Shimano and Magura
I've never bled shimano brakes, but from the videos I've seen it looks similar enough to the process for sram ones.

>>62018
>The on/off feeling of Shimano brakes is well deserved
So the difference in modulation feel is real?
>>
>>62036
very real.
>>
>>62065
OK, but at the end of the day you still have the same modulation at the lever, it's just more concentrated in a smaller part of the "travel" from the starting point to the grip. Am I wrong?
>>
>>62067
You are not understanding what modulation means correctly. "The ability to precisely and accurately control the amount of clamping force on a disc with a given amount of level travel". SRAM brakes have better modulate than Shimano.
>>
File: 1628263586118.jpg (18 KB, 520x520)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>muuh modulation
https://youtu.be/ZfAobT5F3qg
>>
File: cannondalejekyll.png (1.81 MB, 2000x1108)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
I really like the new Jekyll but this doesn't suit the type of riding I do. $6100 for this bike is a good deal though
>>
File: Wha.jpg (20 KB, 278x247)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>62498
>$6100 for this bike is a good deal though
>>
>>62516
Bro it’s got an IDLER PULLEY and a HIDDEN SHOCK
>>
File: cover2.jpg (69 KB, 1600x900)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>62518
>BRO IDLER PULLEY, HIDDEN SHOCK, ITS A JEKYLL BRO, CARBON FRAME, INTERNAL ROUTING, LOCAL IPA, MULLET SETUP, DOWNCOUNTRY, INTERNAL STORAGE, WATER BOTTLE, BOOST HUBS, PROGRRSSIVE, ANTI-SQUAT, ACTIVE BRAKING, RADICAL DESIGN BRO
kek I just think of pb comments every new bike article. Apparently this year's gimmick is hidden shocks, idler pulley seems useful for descents whIch is what I care. The 22 range and the new GT force look amazing. The firebird just looks sexy. I still want to ride a 2018 RM slayer
>>
>>62498
>this doesn't suit the type of riding I do
then don't get it. that's so much travel.
>>
>>62518

So... you're paying a premium for a bike that is harder to work on and more likely to break?
>>
>>62516
It's a good deal compared to the competition. A similarly equipped Forbidden Dreadnought will run another $1000. It's cool but not something I would buy since I don't need that much travel. I just downsized my travel because 120mm is enough for my trails
Maybe if I rode Pacifica with no brakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw0ccEYchaw
>>
>>62541
It's a good deal if you're a midwit with money to burn and no other responsibilities. It also helps if you base your self-worth on shiny expensive thing owned.
>inb4 poorfag cope
I'm not an elite athlete and I'm an adult, not to be confused with manchild.
>>
>>62560
Why are you so mad about this costing $6100? It's their top of the line freeride bike and it's priced below its competitors which is very offbrand for Cannondale. If you don't need it, then don't get it, I'm not getting it either because I don't need it. You didn't have to project your insecurities and financial situation onto a bike you're never going to see or ride
>>
>>62516
>>62560
Considering the specs and that it is a new frame, the price is fair. Stop being a poor fag who is salty that they cannot afford nice things.
>>
>>62578
>>62613
>Imagine jewing this hard
>>
I just got done with a camping trip involving mountain bikes, in a nice ass RV trailer with bathroom/shower, 1 master bed, 2 more permanent beds and 2 temporary beds, gas stove oven fridge/freezer AC, power awning, a wall pops out 5ft wider into a totally liveable space inside, very comfortable
I then found out the RV trailer cost less than the next bicycle I’m looking at
You know how many mountain bike trips you could take with that shit
>>
>>62671
What's the RV? I've been wondering if I should get one.
>>
mfw I forgot I put 3 tokens in my rear shock last service and popped them out this year.

Fucking well that explains a lot of what was going on.
>>
>>62667
Imagining being this much of a poorfag
>>
> boss gives me friday off so I can go mountain biking
> wildfire smoke is expected to blanket the 1st choice
> every other backup might be fucked too

It's not fair. I work hard for Mr. Noseberg and now he lets me take a Shabbat off
>>
>>62757
I mean I’ve been biking all week and the AQI has been 140-180 (unhealthy for non-sensitive groups/everybody) the whole time
I haven’t noticed much difference honestly
>>
>>62807
I mean difference in my performance by the way, scenery-wise yeah everything is fucking smoke and I can’t even see the mountain I’m about to climb up shits obviously on fire somewhere
>>
>>62807
I rode once last year when the AQI was in that range and I felt like shit. I regretted it so much, I wasn't even coughing, my stamina just dropped hard
>>
>>62807

(unhealthy for non-sensitive groups/everybody) is just a euphemism for, (100% guaranteed to cause lung cancer within ten years)

Fuel flees are a bitch.
>>
>>62810
>100% guaranteed to cause lung cancer within ten years
that's why I have a lot of air purifiers in my house. This shit is going to happen every year, I don't want it to end up killing me.
>>
>>62809
I’ve also haven’t mountain biked sober in a few years, maybe my body has just accepted that lungfuls of smoke can’t stop the bike
>>
File: IMG_20200913_090708.jpg (154 KB, 1108x831)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>62807
tfw you mountain biked during the Thomas Fire in CA a few years back. Tfw you developed asthma the next month.

Jokes aside, it was a dumb idea, keep those lungs safe. You'd think this was morning fog but this was like 11AM
>>
>>62827
I live in SF Bay. Last year we were surrounded by 3 major fires. The fucking worst part is that we were also in a heatwave so we had to keep the windows closed and it felt awful being inside choking down the same air. Luckily there are 15-20mph easterly winds every day starting at 2 so I usually managed to get some riding in until the air got shitty again at night
>>
Looking to get into mountain biking.
Budget is $1000. 6ft 220 lbs
Any suggestions on what bike- I know in this price range I will be looking at used and older.
>>
>>62934
Any used hardtail with an air fork, a dropper post, and tubeless or tubeless ready wheels
>>
File: skeggs7.jpg (202 KB, 782x521)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
I will ride tomorrow.

Hopefully there will be prime MTB coochie out there
>>
>>63178
I found a qtp2t at the top of a hill a few weeks ago but sadly I’m autistic and couldn’t make it past talk about the weather
>>
>>63178
i met one this morning. i said nothing but an awkward "hi" and went downhill as quickly as i could. might have been my fastest descent in a long time.
>>
Is double suspension truly better if im doing a lot of climbing? Im a poorfag and can only afford hardtail but might try and save to buy a used ds this winter
>>
>>63221
no? you're climbing.
>>
>>63221
Full suspension is better if the trails are really rough, uphill or downhill
>>
File: IMG_20210820_095707.jpg (451 KB, 1134x2016)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>63259
yeah, only better if you're going up rooty or rocky climbs. If the climbs are smooth then a hardtail is better

>>63178
UPDATE: There was nobody out there. No men, no women. Just me, my homie, our bikes, and thirsty mosquitoes.
I was on that trail the woman is on and it is really fun. For the most part, the trails there are smooth forest trails and that's chunky rock, I love that shit.
>>
>>63316
that's pretty cool. it's why i go at 6 am usually. the trail right behind where i live is always fucking packed, so it's the only way to get it all to myself.
>>
File: 1628641977799.jpg (71 KB, 750x714)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Well lads I finally had my first big wipe, whole left side is pretty tore up but thankfully nothing broke. The problem is I'm not sure where my head is at yet, worried I'm going to be nervous all the time now
>>
>>63389
Dont be a pussy. Just send it. Literally broke my back and I am still sending it (after it healed).
>>
>>63389
You have to go back to where you failed and get over it. I'm in the same spot as you. I recently crashed and sprained the fuck out of my ankle, I'm still taking it easy and I'm very hesitant when I see loose leaves but I'm pushing it more and more.
Also get more protection. I want to get something for my kidneys since I usually land on them
>>
File: 798764594987-54.png (164 KB, 295x294)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>63389
I read this earlier and thought "nah that'll never be me" then went otb trashed my helmet and fucked up my face on a blue trail of all places during my ride today.
>>
>>63511
>fucked up my face
Meanwhile I'm...
>laughs in full face helmet
>>
>>61051
Hands always hurt, eventually you stop caring somehow or your hands get a little numb. I'm not riding right now because my hands feel arthritis ridden.
>>
Any solution for a numb penis on longer rides?
>>
File: IMG_20210822_074919.jpg (496 KB, 1134x2016)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
Nice and foggy today.

I hate it when filipinos come through because there are always 10-20 of them on ebikes and they always cause traffic jams because they ride way too close to each other.
TRAFFIC ON THE WAY TO THE PARK, TRAFFIC AT THE PARK. IT NEVER ENDS
>>
>>63556
I suffer from this also. I don't feel my foreskin or the tip after seated for too long
>>
>>61423
Yes some places rent dj bikes.
>>
Does anyone wash their bike with dish soap? Have you ever had brake problems due to it? I've read that it can slightly contaminate rotors and pads.
>>
>>63607
It shouldn't but there are much better products for cleaning. Simple Green is cheap and works very well.
>>
>>63607
I use dish soap in my Park Tool Chain Scrubber. I use Muc-Off bike cleaner for the frame
>>
>>63556
Remove it from your body.
>>
>>63517
>laughs in X
You MUST go back
>>
>>63687
no i dont think i will.
>>
>>63608
>Simple Green is cheap and works very well.
What is that?

>>63611
>I use dish soap in my Park Tool Chain Scrubber.
Does it work as well as regular solvent?
>I use Muc-Off bike cleaner for the frame
My idea was to replace that with something cheaper and much more available.
>>
>>63717
I only use the dish soap if I'm going to apply the same type of lube. If I'm moving from wet to dry or dry to wet, I'll use their solvent. When I'm removing dry lube, it gets all the dirt and lube off and leaves the chain spotless.
>>
>>63721
Nice, never thought of that actually, sounds like a cool idea. What happens if you go from dry to wet lube using just the dish soap? Ever tried that?
>>
>>63723
I'm sure it'll work but I haven't tried it yet. I'll do it when it's time to switch lubes
>>
>>63725
Cool, thanks for the tip.
>>
i was gonna go to the bike park this weekend. i got corona and now they're putting me on house arrest for 10 days.
>>
>>63821
Just eat some aquarium cleaner and horse de-wormer and you'll be fine, bro.
>>
File: 1626712020678.jpg (42 KB, 665x665)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>tfw I will never a KOM on a segment
>>
File: 1626913841122.png (73 KB, 300x300)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>63876
>Make a new segment on your property
>Ride it
Simple as
>>
>>63821
Anon how the fuck are you still scared of the Rona. I was in the streets riding my bmx in March of 2020.
>>
>>63946
maybe he's in australia or britain or something where he'll get thrown in a camp if he doesn't comply lol
>>
>>63946
who said im scared of it? i have it already and its nothing but a slight fever. i just dont want to get auschwitz'd for breaking my forced isolation now
>>
>>64064
>he is a city fag and all basedniggers will report him if he gets out with his bike
>>
I might ride today
>>
>>64269
okay
>>
I rode yesterday. The smoke rolling this weekend is what really lit a fire under my ass to go. We sessioned this rough feature on a black diamond trail. I didn't fully get it but I figured out that even with my short travel, I can still roll everything on it
Trail starts at :45 and the part we session is 1:10 to 1:15. This trail has changed a lot in two years, now it's chunkier and drier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu4Yo6oyNFA
>>
>>64369
>that fucked up smoke all over the place near the end
my lungs hurt just from watching this.
>>
File: IMG_20210822_074602.jpg (351 KB, 2016x1134)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>>64405
I want to say it's mist because it does get misty there but the light says otherwise. I don't remember there being any big fires in march of 2019
>>
>>64428
>the climb was through a lift
I like going down, simple as
>>
>>64605
Me too, I have alsl found that I am somewhat of a masochist, as I enjoy climbing, but after 4 hours it gets old.
>>
I like techy climbs through roots and rocks. I hate fire road climbs
>>
>>64623
The max I'll climb is 2 hours. Beyond that is pure bullshit unless I get a good rewarding descent.
>>64645
Most of my climbs are through paved roads kek. I only do fireroad for connections
>>
80% of the riders on the trail today were on ebikes. Bums me out, seems like humanity has just given up on exercise.
>>
All national forests in CA are now closed due to the fires. The good news is that none of the trails I ride are in national forests
>>
>>64663
If e-bikes weren't so stupid expensive I'd have gotten one too. I fucking hate climbing hills, that's not what I'm in it for. Get plenty of exercise with other hobbies already.
>>
Anybody bikepack? I want to try it out but the recommended gear lists I see all feel like overkill. Planning a 2 night around 110 mile ride for next month
>>
>>65014
I also want to try, start out with a 82 mile gravel ride with a hot springs and camp in the middle, then I’m looking at a 53 mile hardcore singletrack bikepack loop that may be 2 nights camping, there’s also trails across Washington to try out, in a few years I wanna try a section (the more fun half) of the great divide from Canada to my hometown
>>
>>60713
1x12 is master race drivetrain
>>
Hey guys, how much do you think this Rocky Mountain Pipeline carbon 70 could be worth?
>>
>>63389
Sallight, I broke a rib last year, so far this year I’ve fractured my nose and got a face full of road rash. Kid also dislocated a finger. Not quitting…or being to stupid
>>
File: Very.jpg (145 KB, 1836x1054)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>65100
https://youtu.be/Jrg5lG90kzw
>>
>>60713
Poorfag here, I updated from 9 speed to 11 speed, so I could have a clutched derailure. Is the 12 speed good enough upgrade again
>>
>>65181
I went from 11 to 12 this year, could have saved a lot of money by putting a smaller chainring on instead
>>
>>65181
I love the 50T and 52T gears but there are ways to get around that. Garbaruk has a kit that can get you those gears on a Shimano 11sp setup but as >>65204 said, a smaller chainring is easier and cheaper
>>
Going back to Skeggs tomorrow. Maybe this time there will be MTB coochie there. We actually led a group of girls and a guy yesterday at our usual park and we scared them away because our "easy warmup" was too scary for them
>>
>>65565
wow youre so cool anon.
>>
File: so cool.jpg (61 KB, 700x499)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>65565
>we scared them away because our "easy warmup" was too scary for them
Just admit you like men and be done with it.
>>
File: IMG_20210904_110450.jpg (296 KB, 2016x1134)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
Resolution trail at Skeggs was so much harder than the videos make it out to be. I thought the chunky section was going to be easy because the guy I saw ride it flew straight through it so fast that youtube's compression hides how rough it really is. At :58 he takes an easy line through this rocky section but today, it was collapsed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPjtGaNawyU

>>65588
>>65632
It was a blue trail and it's only a blue trail because of a rock garden we went around and a short root garden you can also skip by taking the left line, otherwise it's a green. I thought they could handle it since I've seen gravel cyclists go down it and it's the beginner singletrack here, they were on hardtails and the guy was on a Stumpjumper.
>>
File: iu.jpg (210 KB, 1170x780)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>Took my hardtail to the bike park
>Cleared the jumps/drops/rock rolls/etc, but thrashed my bike to where the fork barely even squishes anymore
I've been riding hardtails for the last half decade or so, have I finally outgrown them as my primary bike? Thinking it might be time to bite the bullet and buy a trail or enduro bike.
>>
>>65735
Or buy a bike with good components designed for the riding you are doing?
>>
>>65735
>I abuse my shit until it breaks that means I must be leveling up
You sound like a spoiled brat.
>>
>>65762
Is an enduro not enough for this use case? Downhill bike seems a bit limited in where you can take it.
>>65782
It's literally impossible to experiment with riding different types of trails without risking breaking shit, there's no way to prove that you're actually underbiking if you don't experience it yourself.
>>
>>65735
>>65784
What bike and fork do you currently have?
>>
>>65735
Lol no, a fox 36 with 150 mm of travel on your hardtail is the same fox 36 spec'd on an Enduro bike. Take care of your shit and it will work
>>
File: 2019-Cannondale-Cujo-1.png (1.8 MB, 2000x1135)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
>>65788
2019 Cannondale Cujo 1 with a RockShox Recon RL. Fork was probably already the weakest point, honestly.
>>65792
Would slackening the geometry with 30mm extra of travel going gimp the bike's climbing ability? Once the frontend is squishing again, I do plan on still bikepacking with it no matter what route I end up going for bike park riding.
>>
>>65793
It doesn't necessarily mean that you've outgrown your bike, maybe you are just too harsh on it, or simply don't take proper care of your fork.
>>
Fuck me, I have broken my second frame this year. How do I avoid breaking frames
>>
>>65844
>It doesn't necessarily mean that you've outgrown your bike, maybe you are just too harsh on it
I regret phrasing it as "outgrowing" it, since I intend on still riding it no matter what. I guess I should have phrased it as, it seems like I'm spending more time with riding scenarios where it seems like it might not be the best fit.
>>
>>65857
Go to a bike park and rent a more capable bike there, see the difference and think about what you want. Also, 30 extra mm of travel is way too much, going above 20 is a big no-no, 10 should be OK.
>>
>>65855
stop casing your jumps
>>
File: fuck these wildfires.png (26 KB, 989x238)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
I just wanna ride my bike what the fuck
>>
>>66176
150-200 is still plenty rideable, don’t be little bitch
Prepare for the smoke by getting ripped af before you ride
>>
>>66176
Don't even try riding above 100 AQI no matter how bad you want to. It feels like complete fucking ass as soon as you hit your first climb
>>
>>66209
I did two rides in 100-150 the past few weeks and i seemed physically fine to me. I did go up 2000 feet and was surrounded by trees so maybe that helped lessen it.
I looked up the map and yeah the area I was riding in is a lot better quality than my house area (right now it’s 90 and my house is 140), it’s gonna get worse tomorrow though, solidly 150+ and there’s a bad hotspot right at the local bike park, I could go ride that and report back on how it feels
>>
>>60440
Just bought a Norco Storm 1 XL frame and put orange grips on it because they look cool. What am I in for, and what should I change? H2Y0M
>>
>>66302
Shit nigger, I got the exact same bike. You're in for fun and a lot of shaking around if you do some proper dh trails. Expect to change the fork and brakes soon-ish, but there's really no need to do it asap. If you're a beginner, they'll serve you just fine for a season.
>>
>>66303
Yeah when this riding season is done I'm gonna convert to tubeless, switch my fork out, and upgrade the brakes. Also planning on getting the wife one as well. Was hoping to save a little and go for a 2 or 3, but the dropper post is so nice, and a decent one is about the same as the cost difference between the 1 and 2 anyway.
>>
I can’t pop a wheelie why can’t I pop a wheelie, I need to pop one, can’t manage to get the front wheel up significantly high enough to hold it, it’s like I do a little hop but never a full on wheelie what’s the secret?
>>
>>66377
jus b urself
>>
>>66377
Are you trying to pop a wheelie or a manual? Wheelies are easy just lean back and peddle. Manuals require a lot more input though.
>>
>>66377
You have to lean back much further than it feels like you should. Easiest way is to first practice leaning way back then hitting the rear brake to drop the front wheel back on the ground. If you're rolling forward you can lean past the center of balance and still recover this way. It may also help to lean so far back you willtip over, drop a foot and let the bike scoot out the front. The key is finding the sweet spot in the middle. Currently you aren't committing to it enough so the wheel just drops back down.
>>
Hey dongles, I’ve had some poc vpd 2.0s for years and they save my shit.
Wear them every ride. However the Velcro straps I noticed in the last year have began to stretch. Fits not as good as it once was. Anyone found a good way to tighten them up?
Im contemplating sewing the upper strap after folding it over but if there is an elegant solution im all ears
>>
>>66497
What’s the difference?
>>66510
You’re spot on on me not committing. I’ll practice just leaning back then, I leaned back but nothing happened it must be that I’m not leaning back far enough
>>
File: 1630653794077.jpg (11 KB, 613x587)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>wanting to go to a race that is 40 min away
>ask in facebook group if someone is traveling there and organizer puts up a story to help me
>no answer at all
>2 days later, 3 hours ago, girl posts same thing but she is just a volunteer
>16 answers and rising
Women have it easy, fuck me. I had to cancel the race due to this. I'm going to create a woman's account and claim its my mom's acc once they see its not a woman. And it was an enduro race and the trails are god's gift for humanity
>>
File: 1555180957753.jpg (84 KB, 600x600)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
I'm new to cycling. Should the GC rider be a sprinter, climber, all-rounder, or another role?
>>
>>66630
>GC
gc?
>>
>>66537
make it shorter
>>
>>66639
General classification
>>
>>66627
I hope you meant 40 minutes by car because if you couldn't be bothered to cover that distance on your bike you need to be shot.

>>66630
Bait.
>>
>>66726
Car
In bike its like 18km of flat terrain then a 12km of climbing(1km of elevation).
>>
>want to ride today
>go after work with friend
>traffic is terrible
>get to trailhead around 6:30
>get to top of trail around 7:30
>Dark as shit on the downhill
>Gets darker as we near the bottom, might as well have eyes closed
>Didn't die

ngl, was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever done, but was fun either way.
>>
>>66768
get yourself night lights anon. Well worth it.
>>
>>66768
Outbound Lighting's lights are expensive but they're worth it from everyone who has used them.
>>
>>66630
Go back to r/cycling
>>
> want to to talk about cycling
> go to /n/
> literally everyone there lives paycheck to paycheck and rides around their shithole urban sewers on rusty mountain bikes from the 80s
> extreme sour grapes if a carbon frame with more than 8 speeds and a modern shimano, sram, or campagnolo groupset is posted

Well at least I can talk about mountain biking here.
Is there really no legal singletrack in Yosemite? My friend says he's getting us a campground at Curry Village for a week next year and Trailforks just shows me a bike path around the area. It's a disappointment that as close as Yosemite is to Mammoth Bike Park, it's still a 2.5 hour drive because you can't take a direct route to get there. None of the people I'm going with are mountain bikers so that's the closest place I can crash where people will find me alive. I'm still going to bring my gravel bike too
>>
>>66976
Don't forget your ebike, road bike, and fixie, too!
>>
>>66976
It blows me away that people don’t expect to see dozens of rascal singletrack trails when riding on a forest service road
Like fuck guys, you really think those big green empty blotches on the map are just trees and nothing else?
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (38 KB, 554x439)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Can't get that bb to stop creaking.
Fucking pressfits, gonna kill myself.
>>
File: 20210901_182414.jpg (959 KB, 2000x1500)
959 KB
959 KB JPG
>>60622
26" aint dead
>>
>>60481
Marlin 7 is okay
>>
Thought while watching Seth:
The Diamond looks like a nice fame and Seth is always killing it with that frame. It seems playful as hell but Carbon is notorious for being STIFF as hell, when I looked into downhill longboards some pros like wood still due to less stiffness, so that makes me wonder. Does it really make sense to get a carbon hardtail?
I'd imagine aluminum and sometimes steel can be a lot less stiff feeling than carbon and really make a hardtail feel right where carbon could easily make the hardtail experience really off-putting.
>>
>>61102
A dropper is worth every penny, I use it all the time even on my local trails.
A new fork from retail us stupid priced and you can find AWESOME deals used, so I recommend you monitor the local classifieds for a used rockshox.
Other than that handle bars, grips, brakes, saddle may be a better experience than a derailleur.
New wheels can be a game changer too.
>>
>>61374
Why?
>>61227
I see reasonable used ones between 400-800 cdn but the $400 ones are usually thrashed.
>>
>>67724
>Carbon is notorious for being STIFF as hell
This is a myth pushed by the uneducated. While carbon can be extremely stiff it can also be extremely flexible, see the soft tails where they use carbon tubes as the flex points. The stiffness of carbon comes from the design of the carbon layup. A carbon tube can be stiff in one direction and flexible in another.
>>
>>67782
Yeah, my carbon gravel bike is both stiff as fuck for power delivery and flexible for comfort. It is flexible and stiff where it should be.
I can't really gauge the stiffness of my carbon mountain bike because I have the pivots and suspension doing the flexing.I have my Rockshox Super Deluxe RCT inflated to 210psi when my weight with gear is under 180 and it's still compressing too much when pedalling so I'm thinking about replacing it with a DVO Topaz 3 but it doesn't bother me enough to really replace it, it's great on descents though
>>
>>67840
I would say the benefit of a carbon frame on a dual suspension MTB isn't stiffness of flex, rather it is weight. Dropping the weight makes the handling much more nimble and acceleration faster.
>>
>>67871
definitely. I feel it on the trails where I weave through trees. My 29er feels way more agile than my 27.5 er did
>>
File: 20210919_215558.jpg (3.45 MB, 4032x3024)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
Picked up a second hand bike for a great deal, considering all of the components and condition.
It's kinda overspec'd for what it is: commencal meta ht am w/ mostly xtr and some xt group bits.
I shit bricks thinking about the $250+ derailleur hanging off the back.
Should I sell the derailleur (+ others?) off, now while it's in near-mint condition, and pick up an xt or lower to replace?
Or, enjoy some nice components I'll likely never buy again.
Not in need of the cash from flipping, but it'd be sweet to have made the whole purchase an even better deal.
Thinking of keeping the xtr shifter, even if I downgraded the derailleur, to keep some nice shift feel

Thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>68211
>Not in need of the cash from flipping, but it'd be sweet to have made the whole purchase an even better deal.
Stop jewing and ride.
>>
>>68214
fucking lethal, anon. But you're right
>>
>>60440
i cant find another general for this question, so i'm just gonna ask here.. I'm training for a triathlon and I'm confident i'll complete it and actually be competitive. Only issue is I've never cycled on an actual road bike before. I dont have fun and idk where to get one cheap. i know they are buttfucking expensive but does anyone know where i could get a budget road bike or even rent one? tell me im a faggot and to fuck off if theres another place for this question that im just not finding.
>>
>>68255
>>>/n/
>>
>>68256
i never wouldve thought to look there. thanks dude.
>>
I think I prefer the look of external cable routing on mtbs. Gives it a more rugged look like a tank covered in reactive armor.

I still want internal on my drop bar bikes.
>>
>>68290
>Gives it a more rugged look like a tank covered in reactive armor.
Your trains of thought must work in weird ways.
>>
>>62516
i have a cannondale habit and its a great bike got it for 2k€. Super playful and better absorbs some bumps than new 160mm bikes
>>
File: IMG_20210711_102933.jpg (2.22 MB, 2560x1920)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
Me
>>
>>68569
Nice landscape anon, but you should always carry some water with you.
>>
File: 2020.jpg (3.18 MB, 2560x1920)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>>68587
I use Camelbak MULE, it has a 3L reservoir
>>
>>68211
Looks like a killer bike, what did u get it for?
>>
>>68593
Nice. How do you like the remote lockout thingy? Do you find it useful?
>>
>>68628
It's very useful on smooth climbs, like road and fine gravel. Climbing on asphalt in these 2.8" tires is not fun with open suspension.
>>
>>68211
Enjoy it. Idk I would just ride the nice stuff. Depends on how many rear Mechs you break
>>
>>66768

Giant Recon 1800 is really the only light worthy of consideration.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.