[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 104 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can we talk about archery here? I wanna talk about archery.
>>
>>59442
Lars Andersen, amirite?
>>
>>59468
Lars is a faggot
>>
>>59470
If you think lars is a faggot then you'd know that a thumb-hold with basically any bow worth a damn is a fucking joke.
>>
>>59473
Tell that to the mongols lol
>>
>>59473
You must feel pretty foolish considering that mongols were pulling 100+ pound bows with their thumbs
>>
File: TIM039.jpg (40 KB, 1000x1000)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>59442
Came here to start an archery thread.

I just bought some babbeys basic Timber Creek Mamba bow on melrinarchery.
Anyone got tips with asiatic style? I have a yumi so I can thumb draw ok, but this is a much smaller bow for me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjY2QrU4sm4
Heard of Joe Gibbs? he has some big bows
>>
>>61142
>Anyone got tips with asiatic style?
I'm not familiar with the technique but I assume the basics are the same. Consistent form, consistent anchor, don't cant the bow, don't torque it etc. The more consistent all of these things are the more consistent your groupings will be. It's all about removing or minimizing as many variables as you can.
>>
>>59468
Lars is a total faggot. He’s the archery equivalent of “Dude perfect”.
>AKA: Keep doing the same shot over and over again until you get it then brag about how good you are at the sport
>>
>>63295
I don't see the point of this.
>>
>>63545
Just proving that ordinary modern people can pull 100+ modern warbows. It’s for fun
>>
>>63480
Thanks dude.
What do you shoot?
>>
>>63582
Target recurve and compound. I have a cheap trad recurve for variety but it doesn't get used much.
>>
>>63588
I'm debating getting my first target boy, and I'm debating between the Samick Ideal and Avante set, both on quicksarchery.
Any experience with this site? Or Samick?
>>
>>63594
Samick is reputable. No experience with Avante. I think I have a version of that sight. It's nothing special but it works and that's all you really need to get started. Main thing I would be careful about is the poundage rating for that riser. Some of the cheapest risers are not built to handle draw weights in excess of 35 lbs. Everything else in that set is fine. If you think you're probably going to stick with it I recommend a slightly nicer riser made of forged or machined aluminum (not die-cast) as that will last you a lifetime for any draw weight you choose. Probably the next thing in this set you'll want to upgrade is the plunger.
>>
>>63606
Does the plunger really make that big a difference? I thought its more like a clicker, in that "if it works, its fine".
>>
>>63609
That is true for the most part but some cheapo plungers can produce some strange irregularities. They are supposed to smoothly allow the arrow to go through its natural flex as it leaves the bow. If they do this in an inconsistent way you get weirdness that's hard to tune out.
>>
>>59504
You say that like they could even get full draw with their short ass arms.
>>
>>64201
I’m not sure you understand what full draw means
>>
>>64210
The poundage for those bows was measured at full draw for the bow, something 5 foot manlets can't get with the 30-40 inch draws on those bows. If you knew anything about recurves, you'd know that poundage increases significantly with draw length which is why recurves are measured at lbs@length. If they can't achieve the bows full draw, they aren't going to hit anywhere close to that 160lb mark. Looking at how they use traditional bows today, and older photos of similar manchus, we know that a.) arrow length averaged somewhere between 30-40 inches which is roughly the length of the bow itself and b.) they leave 5+ inches of arrow past the rest at full draw and c.) they don't really hold. More likely, they were achieving stuff closer to 80-90 lbs on average individually, which is still good, though there were some outliers pushing well over 100. Obviously, it's just spot math given what we know about average regional height close to the time period, the bows themselves, and contemporary usage, but it's closer to reality than a bunch of 13th century midgets pulling 160 several times a day.

tl;dr
Dan Carlin is full of shit
>>
>>64221
Sounds like a lot of lanklet cope to me
>>
I’m 5’9, 26 years old and exercise regularly. What’s the best poundage to start at if I’m new to recurve archery?
>>
>>64302
Go to a shop and they'll help find a bow that fits you. Whatever you think you can comfortably and safely draw, I guarantee you probably can't.
>>
>>64305
I heard that it’s a good idea to start at like 25 pounds and move up in weight once you get form down
>>
>>64306
25 will probably be fine for a grown man, but you should really go to a shop. It does wonders for you. Are you set on recurve? Compound is a little more expensive to start, but gives you a bit more leeway and longevity starting out.
>>
>>64307
I am set on recurve, I won’t be hunting with it but I want to do it as a hobby
>>
>>64309
>I am set on recurve
Then definitely go to a shop. Samick makes decent starter kits, but you really want to get measured and preferably tuned.
>>
>>64310
Ok thanks
>>
>>59468
It's kind of amazing how much Lars Andersen's videos has influenced the image of historical archery to tens of millions of people. It's gotten to point where Lars is practically synonymous with traditional archery (or even archery in general). Have any of you anons encountered newbies who wanted to start archery to be like Lars Andersen?
>>
>>64821
My archery pipeline was
>watch Lars Anderson
>learn more about archery
>actually practice archery
>hate Lars Anderson
Many such cases
>>
>>64822
So Lars got you interested in archery, but you figured out he was a bullshit artist when you actually got experience? I figured most people would quit after the first class/practice session when they realize they aren't going to be running around rapid firing arrows.
>>
>>64825
>quit after the first class/practice session when they realize they aren't going to be running around rapid firing arrows
A tiny bit of research discredits most of Lars’s stuff, I just grabbed a lightweight bow and started practicing behind my house after watching a couple YouTube vids on form and release.
>>
>>64821
heh in my generation it was hunger games
>>
>>64822
Lars is archery entertainment. He's fine if you understand that is what he's doing.
>>
>>59442
So I got a pack of mechanical broadheads and I know they're supposed to fly like field tips, but they seem to hit high compared to my field tips. Is this normal?
>>
>>65023
What’s the weight difference between the broadheads and field tips?
>>
>>65023
Whenever you change tips you will always need to adjust your sight slightly even if they're the same weight. This is also true if you switch to a different style of field point.
>>
>>64997
Unfortunately he bills himself as explicitly not that. Lars claims to be rebuilding the lost art of real archery and everyone else is a beta virgin sport shooter. Most aggravating though, is that laymen are extremely attached to his variety of bullshit and react extremely defensively to any criticism of him or any attempt to inform them what real archery with real draw weights looks like. They fucking love the idea the jumping trick shots and consider him some kind of next level genius.
>>
>>65028
>Unfortunately he bills himself as explicitly not that
Oh, i am aware. It's quite silly. I guess it doesn't bother me as much as some. If people wanna bounce around with horse bows they're welcome to it.
>>
What recurve weight should I be working toward?
>>
>>65028
>real draw weights
Anyone know what poundage Lars uses in his videos? I'm guessing 20-25 pounds.
>>
>>65032
Whatever is comfy. For target I find 45 to be a nice sweet spot. Enough that I get good solid feel on the draw but not so much that I can't shoot full 72 arrow series before I get too tired. Depends on what you want to do though. If it's for backyard exercise and fun, not competition, you can easily go heavier. For target competition it's important that your form stays the same throughout. If it starts to get ragged because of fatigue towards the end that means you're not in good enough shape for the poundage you're using.
>>
>>65039
He's never said. But yeah probably around there. Some trick bows go as low as 15lbs.
>>
>>65025
They're the same.

>>65026
I think it was me being a retard while getting eaten up by skeeters because the practice broadhead now groups just fine.
>>
>>65438
Reporting back again, definitely was just me being a retard. I'm grouping so closely with it it's cutting the fletching off my field tip arrows.
>>
File: samick_ideal-b.jpg (51 KB, 600x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Got my first target style bow today.

Samick Ideal rider
Soul Everly Limbs (70' 36#)
Easton Jazz 2016 arrows
Sights, plunger, stabilisers, dampener, clicker.

Any tips on how to test and adjust things like the sights?

Is it going to make any difference having only one dampener?
>>
>>59442
Long-range darts ain't extreme.
>>
>>66877
Not like airsoft or roller blading
>>
>>66859
>Any tips on how to test and adjust things like the sights
If it shoots high, move the sight up. If it shoots left, move it left. The important thing is to make sure you're getting groups with it before you move the sight because if you aren't there's no point in moving it.
>>
>>66859
>Is it going to make any difference having only one dampener
String or limb? Either way, in the long term it's not good for the bow or the string. How did you only come away with one dampener? They usually come in packs of 2-12.
>>
>>66950
>2-12
how the fuck do you stick 12 dampeners on one bow?
>>
>>66974
You don't. You're supposed to put one on each end of the string or one on each limb, but they aren't permanent so they usually come with replacements.
>>
File: bowsquare.jpg (26 KB, 800x800)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>66859
>Any tips on how to test and adjust things like the sights?
Yeah youtube is your friend for this. First you find your temporary nock point on the string. Bow squares are extremely handy for this and I recommend you buy one (they're cheap). Starting nock point is going to be right on center with the square just barely touching your arrow rest or a teensy bit upwards from that (no more than 1/4"). Tie on temporary nock point but don't put any glue on it or melt it too much. This can easily be cut off for adjustment later if desired. Consult video for general basic tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_QQJj_ij9Y

Bow tuning can become extremely precise but there's no need for that when you're just getting started. Things will come up as you gain experience, then you youtube or research how to adjust whatever it is.
>>
>>66859
>Is it going to make any difference having only one dampener?
Nah. Some people don't use any at all. They're a really minor thing. The stabilizers take care of the majority.
>>
>>67028
For the full autism experience, I recommend Jake Kaminski's series on recurve tuning. This is everything you need and a lot of stuff you'll probably never care about:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKgJAe7yjDdKqXiwGtAgymRbOXqTLJbYa
>>
Kaminski also did a series on form. This video contains excellent advice for how to position string hand and grip hand correctly. He might be the only guy on youtube who goes in to specific detail about this. When I was a kid learning archery nobody offered detailed advice for the string hand. It was a lot of just grab the string with the ends of three fingers and there ya go. I then developed nerve issues exactly as described in the video before I learned that I was doing something wrong. Do not hold the string directly on the joint of your fingers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ5CuBprQ5Q
>>
>>59442
I want to turn the poundage up on my bow. However, while the grain is in line with the new poundage, the spine isn't according to charts. Will it hurt my bow to shoot with a more flexible spine than what is required?
>>
>>67464
Bow will be fine, accuracy might drop a bit, arrow life may decrease. It depends how much you've cranked up the poundage. If the arrows are just slightly underspined for the poundage it shouldn't be a big problem.
>>
File: chrome_UpHG6k1t7b.png (72 KB, 165x188)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
Bought some cheap arrows for my longbow. The spine is correct and they feel great, by the nock is 90 degrees out of line. Like when nocked, the veins have either one up or one down, instead of a lefty and righty.

Are these meant to be used for compound, or did a cowboy make all 8 of them wrong?
>>
>>68911
I don't know how it is for recurve/longbow, but generally speaking cockvane almost exclusively goes up for compound. I would imagine it's the same for other types of bow as it creates consistency.
>>
>>68970
The norm tends to be that one vein goes either left or right in relation to the riser.
>>
If you're gonna shoot targets why not get a compound bow? They're unironically about 10 times easier to be consistent with
>>
>>68976
Few reasons.
1. Compound requires a lot more tuning, setup, and maintenance than recurve.
2. They tend to be a lot more expensive.
3. Some people find the fun of archery in the challenge rather than the results, hence why barebow is even a thing.
>>
>>68976
Why not just use a gun, then?
>>
>>68911
For longbow/recurve, one vane should point straight left (if you're right handed) and the other two will be up/down angled a bit towards the bow. For compound, one vane points straight up, other two point left/right angled a bit down. If you have the wrong kind this is easy to fix. Grab nock with pair or pliers, rotate to desired angle. It helps to hold the arrow with an arrow puller or some non slip cupboard liner when you do this. The nocks should not be glued in unless your arrows are super cheap made in china bought from alibaba type junk.
>>
>>59442
Why is modern archery is so gay? why not just grip the bow normally and not do any gay looking bow swings. I get that it's supposed to improve stability but when people explain it and demonstrate holding the bow traditionally they squeeze the bow so fucking hard and shake the bow to prove their point, instead of just wrapping the fingers around it so you wont have to do any flamboyant looking bow swings.
>>
>>68981
>just fucking turn it
Thanks, it worked. I assumed that they were glued it and didn't even try before.
>>
>>69157
Yep. Nocks shouldn't ever be glued in. The only time i have seen it was in a kid's set sold by some big box store.
>>
>>69113
The point is to reduce opportunity for your bow hand to accidentally change the angle on release. Holding it tight comes with very high risk if torque, holding it loosely means you're going to instinctively tighten your grip on release to avoid dropping it. The swing is just a product of target recurves being front heavy. Note in target compound there is almost no swing on release as those have center of balance closer to the grip even with stabilizers mounted.
>>
File: 1510333553744.png (7 KB, 230x219)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>64822
>watch Lars
>get inspired
>start practicing
>realize you're a cuck who won't ever get as good as Chad Andersen
>hate Lars
>>
>>69337
Post groups
>>
Guys, Lars put out a new video... thoughts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHlCRpS70k&ab_channel=larsandersen23
>>
>>69195
Alright then, i'm still not a fan of modern archery. I guess i hate the lack of practicality of it.

>>69337
Imagine giving up so easily.
>>
>>69434
That's fair, but remember that people don't shoot the same guns in war as they do to compete.
Modern sporting bows are made to just be that, a sport to make the best shot possible.
>>
>>69434
It's practical for target shooting. Hunting is a different practice all together. Still a bow sure, but in the same way different genres of guitarist play differently, different styles of shooting have different goals and approaches. None of them are wrong. It seems especially fussy to me because it's a bow and arrow man, it hasn't been practical for a couple centuries.
>>
>>69412
Same as usual. Can't help but admire his skills but I really wish he'd list his draw weight on those bows. Real Commanche bows were apparently around 50 lbs. If he's firing his same 15lb trick bows then there needs to be a big asterisk mark on this "recreation" of Commanche shooting.
>>
>>64221
>Battle of the Kalka River
Salty Slav detected.
>>
File: 20211003_153440.jpg (2.05 MB, 4032x1908)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Finally got round to fixing all my knocks, applying knock points, bracing everything properly and taking a family photo of my bows.
>>
>>69817
Nice collection. I’d like to get an asiatic bow sometime
>>
File: 46-Table2.7-1.png (123 KB, 1312x1232)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
requesting help from PVC bowfags
If I were to make a PVC bow with a double convex profile how should the bow look unstrung (I get the general idea of the design but I wanna know how much flex this bow style should have unstrung vs strung) and what would be the best nock style/best way to put nocks on a bow with this profile so the bowstring doesn't come off on me
t.tard
>>
>>63295
leaning forward on each pull is poor form
>>
>>70978
It isn’t for 70+ pound warbows
>>
>>72584
Yes, it is, retard. It's bad form for any bow.
>>
>>72626
Different anon, but it is indeed how you shoot English Longbows.
>>
File: Manchu Archery.jpg (74 KB, 647x495)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>72626
Explain what's bad about it.
>>
>>72627
>>72628
It is insanely bad for you and the largest sign that your draw weight or draw length are incorrect. I don't give a fuck what you retards say. Enjoy your labral tear.
>>
>>72709
Wow, you sure showed us!
>>
>>70638
The yumi is "Renshin - Yon-sun Nobi" from Sambu Kyuguten. Probably the cheapest real yumi money can buy.

The horsebow is Timber Creek Mamba (sold under a lot of names), probably the best babbey's basic asiatic bow.
>>
Planning on buying a bow that fits and heading to the range tomorrow for the first time in years.

Initially my plan was to get longbow, but I think I'll pick up a recurve instead.

Should be fun. I want to get a 40lbs if I can. I have pretty strong back muscle so I think it will be fine.
>>
>>74738
Get a much weaker one for your first bow.
Classic mistake anyone who has done archery for a while has seen many times.
Being able to draw 40lbs is one thing, no-doubt you can do it just fine. But being able to do it, while learning good form, using muscles you've never used before, for an extended period of time, is something else.
Get no more than 25-30 for your first bow, the power can only be a hindrance to you.
>>
>>74739
Alright, you're probably right, I'll be more open to a weaker bow. Especially for a traditional bow, form is probably pretty important. Thank you for the advice anon.
>>
>>59442

OP's asshole gets more pounds then that bow
>>
damn how do i get into archery? i dont know where to start. guess ill just order a 60 pound samick sage or something off amazon.im not really sure what else to do
>>
>>74893
If you haven’t practiced archery before I’d recommend getting 25 pound limbs for that samick sage and getting your form down before gradually going up in weight. Form and back muscle engagement/conditioning is important, don’t neglect that. The muscle chain engaged by properly drawing a bow is not commonly exercised in day to day life even if you lift weights regularly.
>>
>>74893
Search for local clubs, you may be surprised what you find.
I'd recommend Nusensei for basic coaching tips, bow maintenance and style over views.
Also, I'd suggest going to a range just to try different bows out. You might try target recurve and hate it, but fall in love with instinctive asiatic archery, or something.
>>
>>74936
>Nusensei
Based, I taught myself archery completely through him.
>>
>>59442
>Get a 50# longbow
>Do everything right when I shoot
>Consistent anchor point
>Loose but stable grip
>Getting a full draw
>Engage the back
>Aim is decent
>Footing has always been consistent
>Bow is not overpowered for my frame
>Bow isn't underpowered for me either
>Despite all this, the arrows go all haywire
>From 15 to 20 meters, the arrows land 4 to 8 inches left of where I'm aiming
>From 30 meters and beyond, they always land center of where I'm aiming

It doesn't make sense. From 30 meters, to 60 meters, to even 100 meters and outward, there's zero problem whatsoever and the arrows always fly to the center area of where I'm shooting, but in the 15 to 20 meter range, they always land half a foot, or even a foot left of where I'm aiming. Are my arrow's spines too weak? Too stiff? Is it the bow itself? Have I missed something in my stance? Is that just the nature of certain longbows, where from a closer distance the arrows are bound to hit left no matter what? What the fuck can it be?
>>
>>75028
>now is not overpowered for frame
This is my go-to answer as people think that ability to draw = the right poundage, when you need to draw, anchor, constantly and consistently. I'd rec a light bow and comparing the results.

More likely though is the arrow spine.
What is is drawlength? What weight arrow heads you got?
It's possible they are off, causing them to fly to one side, and the longer distances are what give them enough time to "self right" as it were.
>>
>>75057
I assumed it was the spine too, and that the distances were giving the arrows time to stabilize their trajectory because it makes the most sense, but does it mean my arrows are too stiff, or too flexible?

It's a 50 pounder at a 28 inch draw, with I think 100gram practice tips.

>>75057
Yeah, when I first started, I thought I would need an 80lb warbow or something because I regularly hit the gym, but the guy at the store gave me a funny look and told me that a bow ain't no dumbbell. I started with a 25lb takedown longbow, graduated to a 40lb recurve, and now I have my 50lb longbow that I absolutely love, if it weren't for the goddamn left/center discrepancy. I've never seen anything like it with my old longbow, so maybe my new bow is too powerful for my arrows and I need new ones that are more compatible with a stronger draw weight. Hell, I don't know, I'm just rambling at this point.
>>
>>75060
Check the chart. Your spine should be about 500.
>>75060
>left of centre
Ah, if it's consistently left of centre then you are on-point.
Left of centre is what should be expected of a Med draw, right handed archer.
>>
I'm interested in branching out to horse/composite bows. I would want to start off light at around 25 pounds to work on form. Any recommendations? Price isn't a factor for me.
>>
>>75104
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>75302
https://www.alibowshop.com/ has some good starter horse bows
>>
>>75302
Most people's first horsebow is the very inexpensive Timber Creek Mamba (aka Nika ET-4 Mengyuan, or Elong Mughal Crab Bow).
It's very basic, technically a takedown if you want to do so, comfortable, lots of places sell kits with it, quite nice to look at as well.
>>
>>59468
Did this guy seriously bring Mcdojo culture into Archery?
>>
>>75104
Ah, thanks man. While I hate the idea that my shots will always be left of center from a certain distance, it's good to know that it's not me causing it.
>>
Anyone ever bought from HuntingDoor?

I want a manchu/chinese bow with the biggest siyahs possible, and this site has some really nice looking ones for cheap.
It seems a bit too good, anyone have any experience with them?
>>
>>64931
Heh in my generation it was Deliverance
>>
How easy it is to get into this sport?
>>
>>77848
As a personal hobby? Pretty stupid easy, just get a bow that fits you and some arrows suited to your draw length and poundage. As a sport? You’re going to have to find a club or local group of some kind.
>>
>>59477
>>59504
What is a thumb ring for $200?
>>
>>74742
The guy pictured there can pull 130 pounds ambidextrous thumb draw.
>>
>>63295
Joe Gibbs is a bamf
>>
>>63545
Connection to the past, research for history, fun, bragging rights etc.
>>
>>64302
Don't go anywhere near what you can comfortably pull a few times. Needs to be something you can easily pull many dozens of times.
>>
>>67464
Can drop the weight of the points as well, good rule of thumb is 25 grains per 5 lbs.
>>
I've got a used bow, and the specifications for a 25" riser with short limbs are a brace height of 8 1/4-9". The string that came with it measures around 63", but on the bow it gives me a brace height of 9 1/8" with no twists in it.

I thought strings were meant to stretch over time, not contract. Is my only option just buying a new string? I thought maybe adjusting the tiller would make an impact, but it didn't help.
>>
>>78020
Loads of other factors my dude.
Limb size, age, strength. Is it the right string?
What riser and what limbs are they?
>>
>>78169
They're old cartel fantom limbs on a 25" Hoyt. The string should be the one that was used on the bow, but maybe it's just been in storage for a decade and it's shriveled up.

I've spent another 5 bucks on a new string and some wax, anyway.
>>
I want a finger tab, should I go with the Decut Hockii/Rugbii, or the Cartel Smart tab cordovan?

The decut is probably a slightly better tab, but the Cartel has cordovan.
>>
>>77980
True
>>
>>59473
Nigga, I used to pull a 65lb bow for hours with a thumb draw, it's ain't even close to the upper limit
>>
>>61142
>>63480
Alternatively, do the opposite.
It depends on your goals, now that I shoot Olympic recurve, consistency is everything, form must be perfect. When you're shooting an Asiatic bow you have none of the advantages of an Olympic recurve. There's no arrow rest, no sight, no knocking point, and fuck all for agreed upon form. You need to experiment, cant the bow, move your anchor, put 'khatra' into the bow, twist out of the release. Asiatic bows require an enormous amount of practice because your grip and knock point are always slightly different, getting your spining right is going to be difficult enough that you're better off compensating with cant. A lot of the basics still apply, You'll need a good anchor point at first, and you'll need to find good alignment and draw form, but the real magic happens when you know your bow well enough that you're still accurate when you throw form out the window. Challenge yourself to shoot at different distances and from different positions. I used to put up 6inch grouping at 40m lying on the ground, because I fooled around constantly, and never put down my bow.
>>
>>63594
Standard advice is spend the money on a good riser. If it's your first bow, start with a good barebow and move into the stab and sight when it's more affordable. You can cheap out on most things, other than a riser and plunger, but avoid packages.
>>
>tfw you've now practiced way more than a beginner but still shoot like one

Archery is harsh discipline. One round im in the zone, The next its like ive rearranged my aim despite not touching anything.
And im not even going out further than 20m.
Feels like my progress got reset being away from the range during lockdowns
>>
>>82129
I shoot in my apartment like an insane person, but yeah it’s not quite the same
>>
What was the average draw weight of a Comanche bow?
>>
>>82131
hey faggot I'm trying to sleep here but I can hear your arrows smacking against the board
>>
>>82724
Mr Peterson? I really hope that’s the case if so.
>>
File: ishis-release.png (22 KB, 409x217)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>82281
usually about 30-40lbs.
which isn't too bad baring in mind they were known for speed, volume of fire, and it was often horseback.
Also, thus fuckass draw style gives me nightmares.
>>
>>84124
I’m sure they had a reason for it but that looks extremely uncomfortable
>>
>>59442
All Greys are blessed.
>>
File: file.png (75 KB, 653x283)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
Should I get a takedown manchu or takedown korean for my first bow? The manchu is badass and consistently outperforms in comparison videos, but the korean has nice form factor and smooth stacking.
>>
>>84365
first bow - sammick sage or similar
first east asian bow - >>61142 what this guy said
very easy bows to use, especially seeing as now you aren't comfortable with thumb draw, thumb-rest etc
>>
How tall do you have to be to do archery? I’m 5’9 and have low self esteem
>>
>>84393
Literally any size, strength and physical prowess.
providing you have two functioning arms, (even then there are easy work arounds), you can enjoy archery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8R__y9lfUA&ab_channel=NUSensei

It's a very personal sport and so you can choose bow size, arrow length, limb strength and style to fit what you want.

Note: picrelated is focused for olympic recurve.
>>
>>84476
Thanks anon
>>
Hello I shoot bows in my apartment like a fucking cockhead
>>
So how did you guys decide between recurve and compound?
>>
>>84718
I chose recurve cause I like trad/historical archery. Most compound guys are also hunters. It depends on what you want to do with it
>>
>>84718
It really depends what you're after. I really enjoy the athletic, and meditative components of archery. I'm also not really into hunting. Compound is geared heavily to hunting, requires a tonne of tuning, and has a little less focus on form and draw cycle. Compound outperforms recurve easily, is very technical, and has good accessibility because of its ubiquity. Olympic recurve is equally pricey, it's a small community, it needs more facilities, there's less money, less access, no practical applications; it's a fucking dumb sport. But, I love Olympic recurve, it's ultra chill, competitive, very athletic, and has an almost fractal depth in it's demand for perfection.
>>
[spoiler]>>>/k/[/spoiler]
>>
>>85790
/k/ despises archery
>>
>>85790
>>85792
/k/ hates anything that includes the slightest prospect of exercise.
>>
>>72709
if you don't lean forward with a heavy bow you are going to fuck up your shoulder. leaning forward directs the force down where its stable against your torso not hunching your shoulder up into your neck
>>
>>85855
/k/ only discusses archery when it’s in defense of muh anglo heritage or weebshit. Other than that they think draw weights of 70 and above are the domain of 6’6 superhumans (despite the remains of ~5’7 English longbowmen plus the fact that all English peasant men were required to train with longbows for wartime service). Midget 5’2 samurai also used bows well over 100 lbs.

Sorry for the autism but /k/ is a gun board, not a weapons board.
>>
>>85978
>/k/ has the tiniest peens out of any board
Well fucking duh
>>
I shoot a 100lbs tartar bow with a thumb ring every second day.
ask me anything
>>
>>86052
Why 100lb? 40 is plenty.
>>
>>86052
Are you any good?
>>
>>86055
because it forces you to have your form right. if you don't the bow overpowers you so its a good training tool.
>>86064
I have the Morell keep hammering target which has a deer on it. at 15 meters I get 8/10 shots in the lungs. at 25 its around 5/10. I'm more accurate if I use my lighter bow because I have more than enough strength for it whereas the 100lbs is still training me
>>
File: 1.jpg (2.3 MB, 2268x4032)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>86086
>>
File: 2.jpg (2.75 MB, 2268x4032)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>86086
this physique is pretty much only from shooting. good diet with lots of meat and milk
>>
File: 20211220_163609.jpg (2.28 MB, 4032x3024)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>86277
http://www.cinnabarbow.com/marinerbows/mrbows.html
>>
>>86276
>>86277
What was your method of working up to 100lbs? If I yanked it really hard I could probably get close, but it would definitely not be with good form.
>>
>>86280
had a 50lbs then a 80lbs then 100lbs over a period of about 4 years.
I taught my little cousin form with a 20lbs but once he had the knowledge you can skip straight to 60lbs after a week if you are male
>>
>>86280
had a base of gym weights beforehand too 1/2/3/4 plate
>>
>>86282
haven't gymed for years now though just shooting and rock climbing
>>
>>86280
This. >>86281 Just do gradual bow weight increases, but never sacrifice form for more poundage if you muscles haven’t adjusted yet. It’s like any other strength training exercise and gradual improvements in strength and technique go hand in hand. It’s like doing heavy squats with poor form: at best you’re not getting the results you should, and at worst you fuck up your body.
>>
>>86284
yep treat each and every shot like its your one chance to hit a deer and you are starving and will die without it. take you time make every shot perfect so you dont develop any bad habits. get someone to photo you with you shirt off front and back so you can see your form and put a piece of electrical tape to mark full draw length so you can feel when you have drawn to the right length
>>
https://sites.google.com/view/beyond-strength/home

read all of that, its the base of my training and knowledge
>>
>>86286
Justin Ma is pretty legit
>>
>>84718
whynotboth.jpg
Compound is cool cause its pretty much the highest tier bow you can get without going into crossbow territory.
Recurve and traditional is cool because its simple, reliable and easy to use.

Honestly, as a novice, im glad I went for both from the start cause my compound has annoying little issues that crop up and id be out of action a lot more often if i didnt have a recurve to shoot.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (215 KB, 1280x720)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>86780
compound bows are easier to use, it does all the form work for you.
look at how unbalanced her arms are yet she can still hold it easily because the leverage of the cams is removing the need to have a proper strong stance to your arms
>>
File: 2022-03-06_21-03-56.png (467 KB, 3825x1799)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
>>86802
compare to this
>>
>>86802
A ready compound bow is easier to shoot and be accurate with yes. But a compound has many parts that require setup and adjustment before the bow is ready to use.
Whereas a recurve is just string and shoot. Thats what i meant by easier to use.
>>
>>87123
you can put a compound in the hands of anyone and have them on target hitting 8,9,10 @30metres in 20 minutes.
hand anyone a trad bow any they wont even be able to hit the target butt. yes its a more simple item but the complexity is much larger because there's about 15 things you have to drill into muscle memory compared to just lining up a peep and sight post
>>
bump
>>
how do I into archery? is 60 ft of space enough? what kind of equipment is enough for a novice who has never done it?
>>
>>88745
I'd say view a local range and have a try-out to se what it is you like about archery before committing to buying.
60ft is plenty, but it depends whats behind it. Fence, boxes, net or is it a neighbour's garden, say.

First bows get thrown around a lot, but most people get a sammick sage as their first because there is nothing really wrong with it.
Save your money on getting decent arrows for the love of god, especially make sure they match the bow for their spine.
>>
>>88751
the sammick sage seems appropriate for my casual interest. at the end of the 60ft is a 6-ft vinyl fence and neighbor's driveway on the other side. I definitely want to avoid damaging the fence or worse, shooting into a window or something. not sure if I need a giant net or if I can diy something. how do I determine an appropriate draw weight and what are decent arrows?
>>
File: iridium.jpg (53 KB, 1000x1000)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>88761
If you are a beginner, your appropriate draw weight is 20-35, maybe less depending on build/ability.
A very very common mistake is for people to get a high weight at the start, this just leads to bad form and bad endurance for a long shooting session.
Decent arrows are matched with something called Spine, which is a measure of stiffness.
There's many charts online and ITT that say what spine you should use for your bow.
You will need to know your draw-weight and your draw-length. At the start, these things can be a little rough numbered but as you progress and you know these things better, you can get better kit.
Avoid Ebay arrows. get a brand like Avon, Cros-X, Easton.
Carbon is better than wood in almost every respect. Get carbon. And get a glove/puller because handling carbon can lead to micro splinters.
Also, use a glove/tab when shooting.
>>
page 10 bump
>>
>>82281
What's up with the cord wrapped around the nocks? wrap nocks or excess bowstring?
>>
>>89978
excess bowstring. they didn't know how to make Flemish loops or splice rope
>>
How do I shoot my bow in my apartment?
>>
File: 1645930949992.jpg (29 KB, 368x368)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>91134
By shooting bow in apartment
>>
>>61142
I shoot compounds for hunting but its all the same. Stretch and work your shoulders and back. Do practice pills without dry-firing or better yet get some resistance bands to warm up or condition. I started on a Matthews and put it to around 40lbs and trained with it 3x a week starting in November with the goal of being ready for the next deer season. By July I was easily pulling 70lbs and was probably ready for a heavier bow.
>>
>>75607
if your arrows consistently behave the same way at a specific distance even if you change things up, the first thing you should be doing is checking your arrow spines.
>>
>>91134
Have high ceilings, good soundproofing, and a thick target to shoot at. You can get foam target blocks anywhere they sell archery equipment. They have different grades that guarantee no pass through at a certain poundage.
Also don't tell anyone. People get really testy about firing a bow inside an apartment. Also, be practical and safe; shoot at a wall, not down the hallway, don't do it anywhere someone could possibly get between you and your target.
>>
>>84365
Go Manchu. The Korean bows are neat, but they're very small. Any small bow will stack early, the manchus all have draw for days.
>>
Honestly stringing a recurve is such a pain in the ass for me. I can pull back more than the bows poundage one handed but its impossible for me to push the string up. I may unironically need to ask my mummy to do it while I hold it up, am I retarded?
>>
>>93411
use a stringer.
for an adult man, using a pull-through technique is only really viable up to about 25lb. After that you are just adding a risk of hurting yourself, breaking the bow with torque, or just letting it ping off.
It takes about 15 seconds to use a stringer, so there's no excuse to not use it.
>>
>>93414
yeah I have a stringer. i think i have brain damage i don't know.
>>
i just shot my first bow for the first time today. its a red oak longbow, 44#. my left 1st finger knuckle is getting demolished, is this because im nocking too high?
>>
>>94888
I usually wear a glove when shooting bows without an arrow rest
>>
File: 1624199476628.png (1.15 MB, 927x955)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
ive been shooting for months and ive only started going out to 30 yards where i can barely get anything resembling a grouping
meanwhile complete beginners post fist size groups they've managed after 2 weeks of practice
>>
>>94935
It's amazing what very good and directed coaching can do
>>
>>94950
Sadly the only coaching offered in my area is intended for small children. I usually just post my form online for people to critique
>>
>>94935
>>94988
Do you have a consistent anchor point?
>>
>>94888
If it's the feathers cutting your knuckle up, your nocking point is probably a little low. A higher nocking point should help the arrow make less/minimal contact with your hand.
>>
>>93414
Stringer is more about avoiding twisting the limbs but yeah it's good practice anyway. With stringer: will never twist limbs. Without stringer: may accidentally twist limbs.
>>
>>95255
That is a part of is, avoiding uneven pressure on the limbs.
But more so, with a stringer you are basically in control the entire time. With pull-through it's easy to accidentally let go and have it ping of, likely breaking something.
With a stringer, you can't really "let go" moreso you just drop it. And it's a lot easier to avoid dropping it.
>>
>>95049
yes, ironically i realised myself during the week that my problem was trying to anchor it too hard. This was putting tension in my grip and fucking up my release.
Now im back on more proper form, actually carrying the pull with my arm/shoulder and keeping the hand loose down to the finger tips.
Funny how the easier shots feel better and land more true. Now i just have to hone it in to keep everything consistent without going too loose or too tense.
>>
>>95345
>carrying the pull with my arm/shoulder
You mean your back right?
>>
>>69817
Sweet Collection. Looks great
>>
>>69817
I really need to order some more decent arrows, mine are disintegrating
>>
>>59442
Two weeks ago, i was bored and went to an archery club arround the corner. I only had two sessions so far, but i must say that i have a lot of fun doing this. Never thought of doing this sport in my life.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>95756
Thanks man.
Since that picture, I have added an Alibow Tinybow and a big sexy Manchu bow here >>77641
Should try and get a new group pic at some point.

>>95759
best advice I can give is to spend money on good brand arrows.
I have broken so many of my cheap shitty ebay arrows and it's not worth the hassle to fix them.
But my Eustons and my XCrosses I ram into the metal sheet behind our target, and they are fine. And they are easy to fix if I did break them.
>>
>>95763
I am glad you are having fun, my dude. Welcome to the sport. What do you shoot?
>>
>>95778
I used a 25lb recurve bow on 9m so far from the club. They allow me to use it as often i want. They also told me, that there is a shop, where i can lend a full set for 60€/6 Month, which sounds promising
>>
>>75607
The chart is for a centershot recurve bow. Not for shooting off the hand. Use that as a basic guideline for the spine of the arrow then get a test kit with different point weights. 100 125 150 etc.

Generally you need a less stiff spine for shooting off the hand "around" the bow.

I'm shooting 30 inch 400 spine arrows with 200gr points for instance from my 72# horsebow.

If i shoot the same arrows from my 70# centershot recurve bow I switch in 125gr points.
>>
>>95778
>>95807
I fucked up
> 15 Lb 6'2 Recurve Bow
not 25 Lb
>>
>>85788
What's the athletic component to archery like? Do you have to do weight training to pull or is shooting enough to build up the strength?
>>
>>96019
>is shooting enough to build up the strength?
Shooting is how you train the very specific back and forearm muscles necessary to shoot bows well. Most basic weight training programs do not really target the muscles required. Most people start at around 25 pounds in draw weight and gradually increase the draw weight as they get stronger. Never go up in draw weight if pulling the bow with proper form is a struggle. Form is your foundation and the most important part of being a good archer.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.