[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hotgirlclimbing.jpg (557 KB, 1280x720)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
Hot girl in OP edition

>What is sports climbing?
Sport climbing is a form of rock climbing that may rely on permanent anchors fixed to the rock for protection, in which a rope that is attached to the climber is clipped into the anchors to arrest a fall, or that involves climbing short distances with a crash pad underneath as protection.

(Formerly known as /bog/ - bouldering general)

Previous thread: >>38676
>>
>>56909
Who's hyped for the first ever olympics with climbing?
>>
>>56910
Olympics is gay. It was better when men were naked and doing manly things instead of dancing on ice and commenting on their choice of sequins.

BTW, feeling a need to chase a woman up a wall.
>>
File: 1626548266576.png (3.32 MB, 1500x1000)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB PNG
>THIS IS MY RIDGE!
>NO THIS IS MY RIDGE!
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>56957
>>
>>56957
Is that Mt Everest?
>>
I just got a crash pad and went bouldering outdoors for the first time. It was really nice to hear the wind in the forest and to be all alone instead of hearing pumping music and noisy poeple.
The climbing itself was really different, much more sketchy and tiny tiny holds, but amazing friction. The dopamine is so much better when you actually climb something. You dont just touch the final grip with two hands, you're on top of something, gives a much different and nice feeling.

Met a guy past one boulder on my way to some other boulders which i climbed on and said hi. Then he came by and we chatted a bit but i was done so I left. Now i feel bad that I didnt stay and climb with him, seems like that would've been better to do cuz i wanna meet climber people.

Anyways, buy a crash pad and go out! It's very worth it
>>
>>56967
What brand and how much?
>>
>>56969
https://www.addnature.com/ocun-paddy-dominator-crash-pad-M828941.html?cgid=238872

About $350. The guy I spoke with in the shop explained in detail that there's some pretty shitty ones which have bad padding, basically the padding would be cheap and not hold very long. It's a good one, apparently.
>>
Why did we change from bouldering general and instead of going general climbing we swapped to sport climbing and spelt it wrong? I hate you OP.
>>
>>57042
wtf I thought $200 pads were expensive. Maybe I'm just cheap.

>>57072
Who cares? There's a hot girl in the OP. Besides, /out/ apparently has a climbing general.
>>
>>57072
Bouldering is a subset of sport climbing, indoor and outdoor. People were discussing climbing in a more general sense, mostly competitive
>>
anyone watching the world cup? women on now.
>>
>>57079
The guy in shop said that the cheap ones just break. This one should be fine for like 10+ years
>>
>>57146
>Bouldering is a subset of sport climbing, indoor and outdoor
No it's not. Bouldering is a subset of free climbing. Sport climbing refers specifically a type of lead climb where you clip into the wall without placing in your own gear. Semantics is stupid.
>>
>>57146
It's not but ok. They are both subsets.
Its also not 'sports'
>>
>>57183
>No it's not. Bouldering is a subset of free climbing.
Depends on if it's indoors or not? I mean it's called "sport climbing" in the olympics, which includes speed, bouldering and lead. Hard to get more official than that.

Also, pic related is schedule for olympics

>Its also not 'sports'
True, my bad
>>
>>57334
Wasn't there something about the next olympics splitting off speed climbing? That shows how little of a fuck anyone should give about olympic categories.
>>
>>57334
olympic climbing is super new and super cringe, I wouldn't use it as a standard for anything desu

bouldering is not sport climbing
>>
>>57173
I think you might've been scammed anon. I bought two crashpads 10 years ago for $100 each and they are both holding up just fine
>>
any climbers want to meet up at niagara glen? amerishits welcome after the border opens
>>
What difficulty of bouldering do I need to reach before I can give unsolicited beta and hit on women?
>>
>>57608
v2
>>
>>57608
You can always hit on bitches beneath you. Especially the thicc ones. They crave attention.
>>
>>57608
Just wait for them to try an overhang V1 so you can campus it while they rest, works everytime, bonus point if you wear a sleeveless shirt
>>
>>57608
i have been picking up this sport for 3 months now and am getting ok

already i am sick of these "chads" who show up in rentals with a hot chick to fuck around in or just shit guys going around trying to pick up chicks. bonus when they are 6'4 lanklets who just static reach for things and feel like they are actually clearing something.
>>
>>57789
>been climbing for 3 months now
>starts shitting on people in the climbing gym
did climbing jugs for 3 months get to your head anon?
>>
>>57789
>already i am sick of these "chads"

we are sick of you gumbies flailing around on our warm ups, and yes I will spray beta at your gf unsolicited and she will like it
>>
>>57789
>have been picking up this sport for 3 months
Imagine calling climbing like that.
>>
>>57693
>campus it while they rest
>wear a sleeveless shirt
kek this is literally me
>>
>>57839
>>57840
>>57865
(you)'s there are plenty of gimps down there i'm glad they are on here as well

>>57839
i am Swiss so no I have plenty of experience with this stuff rather than the more modern inception. I see Anglo influence is already causing fun
>>
>>57969
>being swiss means you are born a better climber

oh and WE"RE the egotistical ones lmao
>>
>>57608
This
>>57693
but take your shirt off and do an ear piercing alpha roar once you do that slick dyno up past 3 grips you clearly don't need anyway. When you land, don't look at them just walk right past them so your slightly-too-tight-shorts covered crotch gets dangerously close to their faces

Then you just sit and stare at them intensely for the rest of their session, they'll come around
>>
>>57146
bouldering is not subset of sport climbing. you literally copied and pasted the definition of sport climbing from wikipedia and you still failed to understand it. maybe you meant climbing sports? whatever that is.

>>57042
you got upsold hard. this has got to be one of the most expensive pads you could possibly buy. I'm sure it's a high quality pad, but even the cheapest metolius pad will last for many years of regular climbing.

>>57789
the important thing is that you're able to feel superior to someone.
>>
>>58046
Is this you? How many fucking pads do you have?
>>
Sup /bog/ged brothers I just got off a deload week and I'm planning to train explosive power for the next 6-8 weeks I'd like to know what you guys think of my planning :
Pull,Push,Pull,Rest,Pull,Push,Rest
Where Pull day is a bouldering session of mostly physically challenging problems, probably a grade below my projecting grade followed by a campus board session (2 exercise 5 sets 4 minute rest)
Push is just classic hypertrophy 4x8-12 3 exercises + core workout

For reference in terms of strength I can do one one arm pullup on each arm when starting at a 130° angle (can't from a deadhang and it's really traumatizing for the shoulder imo) and can hold 55kg on the middle bottom rung of the beastmaker 2000 (IIRC it's 20mm deep) on each hand, 71kg for 174cm and been climbing for 2.5 years (tho covid fucked like 6 month worth of training)
It's a lot of rest in regards to the climbing but since I'll do quite intense sessions I don't think it's too bad
Do you guys think I should tune the volume intensity and frequency differently ?
>>
>>58108
it's Matt Fultz on Grand Illusion (V16)
>>
File: nyoron.jpg (23 KB, 260x260)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>58123
>tfw never heard of Matt Fult or Grand Illusion and have no idea what V16 means
Oh, 8C.
>>
>>58129
>never heard of Matt Fultz
he's top ranked in the world right now for top 10 hardest boulders in the last year. been climbing really hard recently.

>never heard of Grand Illusion
it's a recent V16 boulder first ascended by Nathaniel Coleman. really aesthetic route. the FA vid is pretty good too: https://youtu.be/z1d0s162f30
>>
>>58141
Look at that Italian zoomer though, can't even capitalize his name.
>>
>>58141
Jesus fuck, that is one long "boulder."
>>
>>58109
Just climb, bro
>>
File: climbza_gradechart.png (26 KB, 680x640)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>56909
>"ur grading system sucks."
>"uhh no, your grading system sucks"
>"yeah but, except that ur grading system sucks?"
>"you seem to be mistaken, it's your grading system which sucks"
>...
>>
Isn't there some beginner resources bro's I would like to get into this as a sport besides just lifting.
>>
>>58207
Just go to a climbing gym and bring a friend (or don't, that's fine too), rent some shoes from the gym and go cling on shit.

The basics:
1. Look up before walking below the wall so you dont get a person falling on top of you
2. No running inside the gym (seeing that you're /fit/ im guessing you can figure that out tho)
3. Two tape marks will mark the start of the route on a grip of a certain colour, the grips of this colour is the route and you're only allowed to use these to get to the top for bot hands and feet. Usually it's blue < red < black in difficulty, rest of colours differ more widely gym per gym. Look for the grading chart somewhere and start from the bottom.
"Structure", like larger boxes and the wall itself, is okay to use for any route.
4. Don't canvas up onto the structure. You're done when you have control of the last grip (usually means holding it with two hands for ~2 seconds)
5. When climbing, use your legs. Hands are for sticking to the wall, your legs should actually get you upwards
6. There's no shame climbing downwards before jumping (be mindful of your knees..!)
7. Start slow, your muscles grow faster than your ligaments
>>
>>58222
Shot thanks man I'm exited and hope to take it outside as soon as possible.
>>
>>58222
>>7. Start slow, your muscles grow faster than your ligaments
I started about a month ago and feel this. Why does climbing fuck up your tendons so much?
>>
>>58190
England what are u doing>?
>>
>>58222
>6. There's no shame climbing downwards before jumping (be mindful of your knees..!)
I've always felt it was easier to jump down than to climb down. Jumping is what I do when I got nothing left. Otherwise, I usually climb up and down the same route.
>>
>>58190
I'm Swedish but I only see French grades here, had no idea we supposedly have our own system.
>>
>>58252
It's in the climbing books. I tried finding it online, but there's not much

t. grown up in climbing family (who has had swedish climbing grades) without caring much until recently
>>
>>58225
you're loading your tendons with your body weight

also you have a skeletong inside you and it takes some of the load
>>
>>56909
I didn't see the thread because I was searching for /bog/
thanks >>58041 for linking it
>>
>>56910
olympics is a shitshow

>>57079
>Maybe I'm just cheap
ask yourself how much you value your safety e.g. your ankles

>>57608
>not hitting on women who are better climbers than you
asking them shit is easy ice breaking
>>
>>57789
>lanklets who just static reach for things
I never made fun of someone's height at my gym, but if I saw you and knew how shitty person you are, I would do it in front of you because I know you cannot reach.
>>
>>58190
I'm in Wales and we use V grading.
>>
>>56910
I'm pretty stoked. gonna be fun to see a bunch of boulder/lead climbers struggle through speed climbing. this could have been just another international comp with the same old contenders but instead it's going to be a shitshow and I love it.
>>
>>58412
they should add ice climbing to, because why the fuck not. [spoiler]also some basket weaving too while we are at it[/spoiler]
>>
>>58339
>also you have a skeletong inside you
I have what? Get it out of me!
>>
>>58413
I don't know why they included speed climbing, other than that the Olympics are a joke so they figured they'd follow that trajectory. I'm going to watch the mens to see Ondra climb but that's it.
>>
>>56909
Post hot girls in the rest of the thread too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.