[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (11 KB, 299x169)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Will Slater surf in Tokyo? edition
>Any summer surf plans?
>Opinions on competition structure?
>Anyone surf Tsurigasaki beach?
>>
>>54855
Yeah
>>
If he does he wont win. Some brazillian air guy punting full rotations on 2 foot waves probably will. And im okay with that. The spot isnt exactly perfect for guys with a lot of power and flow. Need proper tubes and fat walls to unlock the beastlynes.
>>
>>54855
I've always wanted to try surfing how do i start? Any of you bros in Los Angles? Can you bring me up bro
>>
hey oz lads, looks like I'm heading to Lismore for a 2 week project (30minutes inland from byron bay/balina), what are the good spots for a kinda-intermediate surfer?
>>
does surfing help you get laid a lot more?
>>
>>55165
Me? yea. You? nah.
>>
>>54942
brazzos grow up surfing shitty tiny beachies, they surely will win
>>
>>54855
Any wind surfers here? I've been paddle boarding and kayaking all summer, which, while fun, has gotten to be more of an /n/ thing to me than an /xs/ or /out/ thing.
Wind surfing sounds like the right change of pace. Surfing also sounds fun as hell, but unfortunately, I'm far from the coast and the closest Great Lake has dick for waves/swells, so wind surfing is the natural next skill to pick up.
So, question: is it worth taking a class on wind surfing if I'm already a semi-experienced paddle boarder? I like to think I'm decent at balancing while standing and know when the wind will fuck me over like a sorority slut, but I still haven't done wind surfing before. Should I spend the bongo bucks to learn that from an instructor or just rent one for a day and fall on my ass a couple times?
>>
Anybody from here Florida here? I was thinking about getting into surfing but I heard that it isn't that good here since the waves aren't that big. Is that true? I'm in fort lauderdale if that matters.
>>
>>57006

I'm in the exact same situation and have been researching this a lot, so I can tell you that there is almost no skill transfer from paddleboard to windsurf or vice versa. I was on the lake yesterday watching a couple of newbs getting their first windsurf lesson and even with personal instruction they were really struggling. I think you could learn to get up and sheet in without instruction but learning to tack and jybe on your would be miserable.

You might also want to consider learning to wing instead: you could use the board you have and add a skeg or center-fin.
>>
Wow how new is /xs/? Are there lots of surf threads?

>north county san diego
>decent south swells so far this summer
>water is warm af tho at least
>>
>>57016
Dont worry about it. Learn on the small waves and when you get the bug youll be willing to travel anywhere for some good action
>>
>>57016
The waves are small everywhere here in Florida, doesn’t mean you can’t ride them.
>>
>>54942
I hate that kind of surfing. It’s like boogie boarding. I want to see a guy shredding 10ft + waves. If I want to see tricks I’ll watch skateboarding
>>
File: 1627173513090.jpg (23 KB, 680x329)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Anyone else absolutely baffled that they didn't get a surf pool setup for the Olympics? Surely with the wave consistency you'd start getting the best of the best surfing for the non-surfers to see, and you'd get fairer scoring too
>>
>>58576

None of the surf pools actually work on an energy budget that would cost less than flying everybody to Nazare or whatever. And neither Japan nor anyone else wants "fair" Olympic scoring.
>>
File: italo.webm (378 KB, 640x350)
378 KB
378 KB WEBM
this is the best we will get for today
the forecast predicts big waves for the next 2 days
>>
Why are they even running? Just wait a day?
>>
>>54987
>being in los angeles
>asking the internet for help to start surfing
>>
>>54855
>Slater

You mean Chuck Schuldiner, guitarist and founder of the band Death?
>>
>>58576
>Anyone else absolutely baffled that they didn't get a surf pool setup for the Olympics?

Absolutely nobody but you, shill.
>>
>>59199
I don't know where is good to go, fool. I'm vato from the barrio, I don't get to beach much
>>
Is there such a thing as a bad length for a surfboard?
I’ve been using an 8’6 66 L “performance” board lately and although I can catch waves on it I feel like it’s a weird length. Like it doesn’t want to hold speed or paddle like a longboard and often I’m walking up past the middle of the board just to hold the speed I have. I guess this is just making me better at surfing, but sometimes it’s a real bitch in mushy Florida surf that I’m used to. At the same time it turns really well and makes me wonder if I should swap the single fin for a three fin setup because it’s not really a nose riding board anyways.
>>
>>59388

seems like a meaningless question

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.