[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cyclist2.jpg (92 KB, 776x960)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Hardtail, Hard Muscles Edition

What trails are you riding?
What do you want to improve on?
When was the last time you went OTB?
Do people really love mountain biking if they hate climbing?
Why haven't you spent $14k on a Pivot with Fox Live Valve, a wireless dropper? You need your suspension stiffen automatically when you raise the dropper and open when you drop it. Those few seconds will cost you a KOM

Previous Thread: >>39090
>>
Canyon
>>
File: 20210503_170956.jpg (2.71 MB, 2448x3264)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
I last went otb a week ago learning how to nose bonk
Pic unrelated
>>
File: 1624362434409.gif (218 KB, 232x198)
218 KB
218 KB GIF
How the fuck I make my headset not to move, I relubed the bearings and when I put it back in, I have a 1-2 mm play on my headtube and I can't get rid of it. Any tips
>>
>be my dad 60yo
>can corner better/go downhill faster than me (19m)
>can ride any trail i can think of including pro lines
>has literally ridden an early 00s-tier cross country bike at a lift assist bike park
>frequently does 50+ miles in a day doing enduro
>he's not even that /fit/

what the fuck bros how do I get at his level
only thing I can do better than him is jumps/drops but as soon as rocks/flowy downhill comes around he just BTFOs me
>>
>>53256
you need to make sure the fork is firmly seated before you tighten it down. this is often the problem.
>>
>>53276
It is the Dad bod and Dad power. Impregnated a park rat girl and then get fat from drinking beer.
>>
Any other Oregon anons here? I'm hoping to knock out Post Canyon, Oakridge, Skibowl, Lookout Mountain and Ashland in the next month or so cause I've heard they all have good downhill and I wanna know if anyone here has been to any of em before.
>>
>>53276
Remove from brake and you'll be forced to be faster
>>
>>53278
I tried already, thats the most I cam get it. I will tryupside down if its not the lower heastset
>>
File: 75892017341.png (211 KB, 400x400)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>53281
>park rat girl
doesn't exist
>>
>>53256
1st make sure you didn't leave any pieces out and the bearings were put in the right way - the balls face towards the cup. If you forgot one of the parts it can cause extra play.
Assuming threadless:
>Put stem on
>Push down on it
>while pushing down rock bike forward and back, side to side to remove play
>tighten top cap down
>tighten stem bolts
If it's too loose still: loosen the stem bolts, tighten the top cap by 1/16 turn then tighten them again. Repeat as necessary.
If it's too tight: loosen the top cap by 1/16 turn and then loosen both stem bolts before retightening them. Repeat as necessary

For threaded it's similar to adjusting your wheel bearings on a cupancone.
>Loosen the locknut
>push down on the head tube while rocking the bars forward-back and l-r
>Tighten the cone nut until there's zero play but free movement. Some are knurled for your fingers and some have wrench flats
>while holding it tighten the locknut
>>
File: the scorpion king.jpg (17 KB, 381x180)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>crashed hard last season on a drop to super loose dirt feature
>been sketched out since
>hit bike park up yesterday for the first time this season
>hit that drop to super loose dirt I crashed on last season
>overcome the drop to super loose dirt feature
>feels good m8

>pic related
>it's me
>>
>>53384
Proud of you bud. I just got back into mountain biking after years of not doing it and I'm still super nervous about even small features, I figure I need to just crash a few times to see how easy it can be, and then I'll get over it. Really trying to make up for lost time here
>>
File: IMG_20210622_185803.jpg (749 KB, 2016x1134)
749 KB
749 KB JPG
I parked at the bottom of the park so I could take the flow trail back to my car to finish it up but goats closed the lower half of it so I had to climb back up. Better the trail gets temporarily closed than this section catches on fire because of all the scumbags flicking cigarettes out here
>>
File: 1613511674843.gif (1.94 MB, 500x500)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
I just bleed my brakes after a while amd they are sooooo hard OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>53276
Go practice more, and focus on improving your technique. Practice makes perfect.
>>
Just regreased headset. Cracking noise is no more <3
>>
File: sam_hill.png (136 KB, 1209x811)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
Is his career over or will he make a comeback?
>>
>>53936
Well you are talking about him so he already is more successful than at least half Enduro racers
Come on, it’s all about marketability
>>
>>54000
He's not going to be marketable anymore if he keeps getting results like those.
>>
>>54014
Didn't barely podium in the 2019 season but consistently place high enough to win overall?

Also, the dude has been racing since at least 07. Maybe it is time for him to be replaced by jack Moir.
>>
>>54018
>Maybe it is time for him to be replaced by jack Moir.
If Jack keeps riding like he's been doing he'll win the title for sure.
>>
>>54014
Who cares the dude is a household name and a lasting meme in the mtb circle, he’ll be okay
>>
Post waaaouw
https://youtu.be/XxEYHMcMRiM
waaaouw related
>>
>>54029
Of course he will, but it's all downhill from here it seems, and not in a good way.
>>
>>53186
Sup spectral bro, my fucking bb is creaking.

God damn pressfits.
>>
>buy new brakes to get off the fucking guides like 3mo ago
>finally getting in this week

Holy shit finally this supply shortage shit is killing me
>>
Who here /hardcorehardtail/
>>
>>54152
cheap hardtailer reporting in. some fags tried gatekeeping me at a trail saying "that bike aind for downhill yo" and i did it anyway. niggers can suck my hardtail.
>>
bikes are overpriced

why does bicycle cost the same as a car. dont get me started on those single speed $3000 bikes with no suspension
>>
File: 1618205934956.png (293 KB, 800x424)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
>>54165
Back to /n/ /n/og.
To answer your retarded question. Brakes, suspension, quality, weight, brand, technology, and the biggest one, supply and demand.
For a single speed at 3k you are just a city fag nignog hispter.
>>
File: IMG_20210626_073131.jpg (580 KB, 2016x1134)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>>54150
Nothing on my bike creaks and it's surprising because I almost only ride in sticky dust.
It's the Al 5.0 too so I have the cheap headset, bearings, and bb. I always check my frame before and after rides and I haven't encountered any of the usual Spectral problems. I also ride this bike hard every time I take it out so I'm hitting braking bumps, roots, rocks, and minor jumps.
I really want to get another bike just because I want something that can climb easier like an Ibis Ripley but the Spectral really does do everything and does it well. I also like how simple the suspension is because it makes it easy to service since it doesn't have any fancy pivots like Yetis or Revels
>>
File: 1619425518984.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
Bay area bros, let's shred.
>>
My first real bike, pretty happy with it.
>>
>>54378
Nice, of you ride aggressive, chunky and steep stuff and don't care about climbing pace or time get a 30-35mm stem, your stem looks long enough to be a midget dildo
>>
>>54382
I already ordered new shorter stem.
>>
>>54378
Excellent purchase

>>54345
Joaquin Miller Park today at 5:30. Meet at the ranger station
>>
File: 1621795146793.jpg (62 KB, 840x593)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Derailleur is kill and I can't find a replacement. Everything is out of stock
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASAAAAAAASASAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>54527
just 3d print one, bro
>>
>>54415
>Joaquin Miller Park today at 5:30. Meet at the ranger station
Can't get home quickly enough. I wagecuck in the city and then take BART home. I can usually ride weekends. Most of my weekday riding nowadays is commuting on my fixed gear.
>>
>>54531
That's alright. I actually forgot and completely skipped the station and rode with my friends. I'm usually here on weekdays after work now because there are less walkies but I'll suck it up and ride there on a weekend. Sundays are best there because all the assholes are at church or nursing a hangover
>>
File: glossblacksidel.jpg (56 KB, 856x1020)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I'm a lightweight fag and my Pike feels like I need to set the PSI way lower than needed, talking like 52, but I can just about bottom the shit out if I take a big enough hit. I have two bottomless tokens, tossing one in there should theoretically let me lower the pressure a smidge but also avoid bottoming it out but still have some compliance, right?
>>
File: niggatoro.png (1.04 MB, 1072x899)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>53185
Everytime I go into a bermed corner I always take the inner line with all the loose rocky shit instead of riding on the wall of the berm and I can't corner for shit because of it. Am I retarded?
>>
>>54545
Trust your tires to carry you through it, they'll do it.
>>
>>54532
I'll either ride jmp this weekend or just do laps at lime ridge hoping to see this qt teenage girl who seems to shred pretty hard.
>>
>>54538
I have a yari and I'll VERY VERY VERY light. 120lbs at 5'8. I just removed the tokens(2) I had since I never used all the travel. Now I use it all and bottom it out like 2 times per ride. I need to increase a bit more pressure. I also had a pike 8 months ago and no token.
>>
>>54151
Hate to burst your bubble anon. Unless you are riding a lot of steep chutes/downhills new brakes will not give you game changing performance over the guides.
>>
>>54551
well just let me know by friday. I'm likely going again on Thursday so I'll be doing a road ride on saturday
>>
>>54551
>hoping to see this qt teenage girl
Leave the children alone.
>>
File: nigger paints frame.jpg (171 KB, 1000x1333)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
picked up a cheap as fuck redline BMX to beat on but it's covered in this stupidly thick and shitty paint.
any advice?
I'm going to try scraping it off with a credit card or some tough plastic. also I'd post this in a bmx thread but there isn't one.
>>
>>54644
Just have it sandblasted, you'll get a nice result in order to paint it the way you want it.
>>
>>54644
There was a BMX thread early on but it looks like nobody bothered to remake it when it died. You now have the opportunity to give it your own custom paint job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtEHnnGwio4
>>
>>54566
Lmao if I was riding flat flowy trails I wouldn't give a shit. Getting to the bottom of a black line at snow summit as fast as I do is only because I have no brakes left.
>>
Going to Joaquin Miller Park again today at 5pm. Each time I start to get bored of it, my friend shows me a new trail
>>
>>54723
>Getting to the bottom of a black line at snow summit as fast as I do is only because I have no brakes left.

I have ridden similar alpine descents, Guides are more than sufficient. Again, the only real issues with Guides is in steep chutes/downhill sections. When I say steep, I mean so steep that you cannot walk up or down it.

It also sounds like you have no idea on how to set up and maintain your brakes.
>>
Going down these braking bumps is killing me. I need to fiddle around with my suspension settings
>>
>>54863
turn that rebound faster.
>>
I already have it really fast but I never really paid attention to see if I'm following the bumps or bouncing off them. It shakes the hell out of my arms and I grip them lightly too.
>>
>>54870
Remember to hang loose broseph.
>>
File: gottagofast.jpg (233 KB, 1718x1073)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>54723
Don't be a faggot, just don't use brakes

>>54854
lel guide's were absolute shit for the longest up until like '17 when they changed caliper, might as well wish you stop instead if it's older ones
>>
>>54881
Apparently the original ones had issues with expanding lever pistons. They seem to have been fixed when they updated the calliper with the bleeding edge port. I suspect they took the opportunity to fix the lever pistons. After 2017 and 2018 the complaints dried up and primary became based on "I cannot set up or service my brakes properly".
>>
Is mountain biking virtually done in eurocentric countries?

it almost seems non existent outside europe/aus/nz/USA/Canada.
>>
>>54723
but you dont even need brakes on miracle mile anon.
>>
>>54904
Well the bike industry is pretty white-centric. I know it's big in non-euro places but it's because I have friends and family from those places.
>>
>>54904
I think so but here in SF Bay, half the mountain bikers and vloggers are filipinos. All of the commenters on their videos are filipinos so they definitely know about MTB and are interested in it in the Phillipines but I just don't think they have trail networks there. Japan definitely has mountain bikers and I think it's growing in China
>>
My Maxxis DHR and Aggressor tires have served me well in loose-over-hard and hardpack conditions. Are there tires by other makes worth upgrading to? Vittoria has the Mazza and Martello, Kenda has the Pinner, hellkat, and helldiver, Schwalbe has the Magic Mary and Hans Damfe, not sure what WTB competes with. My tires do sometimes slip but I can usually tell when they're going to slip
>>
>>54989
Sponsored riders run maxxis without logos, there's no bigger endorsement in my opinion. Vittoria and kenda are just crappy maxxis with the knobs on backwards. Schwalbe doesn't have a tyre good for loose over hard, Hans dampf might fit the bill but it's a terrible tyre and you can tell they didn't have a clue what they where doing from the tread design. WTB stands for worse than bad, never had a tyre from them that sealed and they weigh about what I'd imagine lead tyres to. Bontrager G5's are the only tyres I'd take over a dhr2 for loose over hard, you can cut the dhr2 to look like a G5 though.
>>
>>55001
>WTB stands for worse than bad, never had a tyre from them that sealed
I've read about the sealing problem. Also read they have a lot of pinholes. I thought WTB would be my best alternative because they're local so their tires are tested on the same dirt I ride. Their tread patterns look more aggressive but I don't want them ejaculating sealant everywhere when I hit them with 120psi from the tire inflator
>>
File: wildcat.jpg (704 KB, 2000x1333)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>54989
I'm a pretty big fan of the Vittorias. They have plenty of grip on the sand-over-clay and hardpack trails around here, and are fast rolling. I've only used the martello and morsa, so I can't really comment on the mazza
>>
>>55001
>Sponsored riders run maxxis without logos
Sauce on that?
>>
>>54989
Maxxis Assegai front and dissector rear are the best for those conditions.
>>
>>55008
I had one explode at 60 in a tiny uni room, not fun.
>>55012
People do have good things to say about them, but they all just seem to look a little worse than the equivalent maxxis tyre. So I don't see a reason to buy them unless very cheap.
>>55028
Check out race footage or bike checks. Most of the field runs maxxis, either sponsored or blacked out.
Here's one to get you started: youtube.com/watch?v=ldhu1syXJTU

All companies make shit tyres though so it's best to actually look at the tyre itself.
>>
So my ASSGUY is kill or close to is kill. These tire were used(I'm used) in terrain similar to SoCal(dry, sand, dust, rocks, rocks, rockgardens, gravel, gravel and more gravel) and they performed exceptionally there(I still miss this terrain). But recently I moved to the alps and terrain is VERY different. What I called mud is humid hardpack here kek, and there's clay which is very very slippery and I've never ridden it. Its loamy, many more steep switchbacks, ROOTS everywhere and very few real rockgardens to the degree I haven't had real armpump like I had before where I actually had to stop bc my arms were really sore. I find myself uneasy while turning during humid terrain and loam is soft(no support, at least sand is but it gets everywhere), you can hit it with your foot and the sound is very damped. Also current tires clog up easily with clay and mud
>This what I ride now
https://youtu.be/pZjeO8jV4DY
https://youtu.be/2dOndww-zbs
>what I used to ride
https://youtu.be/7Qq3cxmbxfA
https://youtu.be/k5hGIKyXAAU

So for front tire idk if I should buy another assguy 2.5 or perhaps try Michelin(everyone rides this here). I'm between a Wild enduro or a DH22. What I find nice about these michelin its the side knobs, they are just HUUGE, but I don't know which one between the 2.
I want to try the michelin atm over the maxxis but with the assguy I just know it like the dhf and dhr2

>Picrel is current assguy, side knobs are kill but I feel inner knobs still have life. But sideknobs are important. What do (you) think?

So help
>>
>>54989
SoCal riding forever, ASSGUY + Dissector or Aggressor is basically all I run. Assagai is heavy as shit, rolls like shit, but grip for days on what after years of no rain is basically all powder over hardpack.

Alternatively I've done DHRII, front, but frankly the bigger issue is that the trails out here keep getting more and more loose as the years go by without rain.

Swear the last time we had decent rain was like Oct of last year for all of one or two days.
>>
Canyon tolerances must be shit cause I just got this fucking pressfit replaced and it's creaking again. Anyone tried those self threading pressfit bb's? Basically busted 2 bb in a year and getting worried here something else is the issue.
>>
>>53284
I am, I’m gunna go to skibowl
Never gone there during summer
>>
>>55198
Which bike?
>>
File: Manly_Tears.png (388 KB, 447x599)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
MFW no trails in Mostar
>>
new mountain of hell

https://youtu.be/mR1HPBxcaVI
>>
I need to get a new saddle, the one that came with my Santa Cruz is too small for me. How should I size up and how much should I spend? I want lightweight but not like top tier shit so it doesn’t have to be carbon
>>
>>55297
you can get your "sit-bones" measured at a LBS
>>
File: 1617573025147.jpg (197 KB, 1268x1129)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
This is a reminder to do a bolt check on your bike(s)
>>
>>55273
This was incredible.
>>
>>55273
This and Cerro Abajo have always been my favorite downhill races. The courses are just so unique
>>
File: IMG_20210705_162418.jpg (299 KB, 2016x1134)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Just got this brand new 2019 Evil Following frame today.
I want to build it as a short travel trail bike that's better at descending through California trails and is a more efficient climber.Trails here are full of braking bumps, roots, rocks, and don't have many jumps so I can spec into shorter travel. I'm stuck between a 120-130mm Fox 34 or Rockshox Pike Ultimate. The fox 34 is lighter but the pike has 35mm stanchions, I know how easy they are to service, and it will be easier to handle on descents.
The frame comes with a 120mm rockshox super deluxe rct in the back and I don't plan to change it out.
>>
File: Ohyeainsley.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>Tfw been riding a singlespeed hardtail for a couple of months and just got back on a 160 full bounce bike

>>55390
You're a good egg anon
>>
>>55390
> riding through park
> hear brake rub coming from the rear
> normally happens in the front
> go to realign caliper
> notice that my axle is loose
> tighten it
always check your bike before riding. You never know what has shaken loose
>>
>>55426
>Cerro Abajo
Which one?
>>
>>55486
I don't miss qr wheels at all

>Be me
>Ride big DJ line at a local park for the first time on the big bike
>Sail over first jump, easy money, life is good
>Take off of second jump
>Faint ping/twang noise as the suspension tops out
>Somehow in split second realise the rear wheel must have fallen out
>Ditch bike and somehow don't die

Still not sure how my brain figured that one out so quick but I thought I was a fucking gonner.
>>
>>54150
Sup, I have al6.0 2019, it's not ur bb creaking, it's loose bolts of chainstays that connect them to front triangle. Tighten them to proper torque, use good loctite, let it dry for two days. Do it or ur frame will be destroyed like mine did. Waited for a replacement for 6 months.
>>
Anyone have any experiences with garbaruk cassettes? they weigh less than XX1 and are reportedly 95% as good at shifting while costing significantly less. Thinking to put a 10-50T cassette it on my >>55440 build to save some cash and weight. My current parts list is up to $4157 excluding tax and shipping.
>>
>>55573
I forgot the link
https://www.garbaruk.com/12-speed-xd.html
>>
>>55500
Monseratte and Bogota are alright but Valparaiso is king obviously
>>
>>55595
Why do you prefer Valparaiso? Taxco is really cool as well.
>>
Where do I start with mountain biking? I live in a hotspot in northern minnesota but have no clue where to start, what to look for, and what to avoid.
Any writeups or anything?
>>
>tfw you move to europe and finally have a good job and enough money to blow on a brand new bike and NOTHING is in stock ANYWHERE

Currently riding hiking tracks in the forest on a road bike with 28mm marathons
>>
>>55650
Use trailforks or mtbproject to find trails in your area. Stick to green trails and fire roads first, then you can start hitting blues and blacks once you're more comfortable with riding and have better equipment
>>
>>55656
I need a bike to do that. Where do I start with bikes? We have demanding trails in Duluth from what I've heard, and full suspension might be where I need to focus my efforts on.
>>
>>55654
You had to move to Europe to get a good job?
>>
>>55660
You can do nearly all the trails with a hardtail. Try Hartley if you're new to riding. Mission creek is nice. I would avoid Lester and Piedmont until you have some skill or fitness. Unless you plan on riding at Spirit, I'd look for a decent hardtail.
>>
File: 324985720487727350h.jpg (88 KB, 433x577)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>54152
/hardcorehardtail/ checking in
Nothing better than shredding trails on a hardtail
>>
>>55672
I also want to add that look for a real hardtail mountain bike, not a hybrid bike with a suspension in the front. A hardtail mtb will have at least 100mm of suspension travel in the front. You should be getting something in the $700-$1200 range. I'd say check your used market first but it's kind of fucked right now with everybody deciding at the start of the pandemic that they want to be cyclists and mountain bikers now. Don't get something with 3 gears in the front(we call them chainrings), it's sign it's a cheap ass walmart mtb with a shitty drivetrain. Get something with 1 gear in the front and 9-12 gears in the back if you can. 2 in the front is fine too but a 1x drivetrain(meaning one gear in the front) is less likely to drop its chain on rough terrain and you won't have to worry about shifting troubles in the front.
I highly recommend bikes from Canyon, Marin, Polygon, or Commencal if you're going to buy new. They're great bikes that are priced so much less than those by other brands. Commencal and Canyon are online only but you can find the other 2 in stores
>>
>>55672
Sweet, I live right by Hartley, but I also do want to support Spirit somehow since snowboarding is pretty lame there. Should I still just consider a hardtail and work my way up into a full suspension?
>>55698
This is awesome information to have, I had heard about chainrings but wasn't sure what they were. Thanks much for the bike reccs too, i'm gonna start digging into them
>>
>>55715
a good full suspension will cost more. You can get great and affordable full suspension mountain bikes from Marin, Commencal, and YT but they're all sold out at the moment and again, you'll only be able to find Marin in stores. Check Pinkbike's Buy/Sell page for bikes in your area.
Full suspension mountain bikes are also more maintenance. You have two suspensions to service and more moving parts. The reason people are telling you to get a hardtail is because a hardtail is harder to ride well so it teaches you to ride better by forcing you to take better lines and riding smarter. Hardtails climb better and that's something important for new riders because everybody is a bad climber when they first start out, it takes a lot of riding before you realize climbing is the best part. Hardtails are also more accessible since people who aren't into the hobby don't understand why mountain bikes cost so much and don't see the difference between a cheap walmart bike and a Pivot Switchblade with carbon wheels and a Fox Live Valve suspension
> $10k for a bike? For that much money I can buy a motorcycle!
You could, but if you want a motorcycle with a carbon fiber frame, top of the line suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and tires, you're going to have to pay up $100k for a Ducati Panigale Superleggera of which only 500 were made and were marked up.
You don't need all that though, $3k is the sweet spot and bikes in that price range(depending on the brand) are so much better than they used to be, you can also upgrade parts as you go along and it's so easy to do.
>>
>>55715
>I live right by Hartley
>Should I still just consider a hardtail and work my way up into a full suspension?
Yes. You can always rent a full sus from Spirit or Continental to get the feel for it.
>>
>>55728
awesome. thanks, I appreciate the help. This is new to me so I'm still in the information gathering stages right now.
>>
What's the ideal way/progression to grind mountain bike skills as a beginner? Got a pretty decent bike from a relative recently and I've been having fun riding it, but I want to know how I can actually progress my skills and what the core things I should practice are. I'm /fit/ and have good cardio so that part isn't an issue. Youtube has been less help than expected
>>
>>55767
Just keep riding and use your brakes a little less each time on the straights. My biggest problem is that I don't trust my bike enough, sometimes you just have to do something that feels suicidal
>>
>>55733
I finished the info gathering stages and got my Karate Monkey....dont forget to do research on tires! My god i never knew a 27.5+ tire can feel so heavy on a bike. Also def go tubeless asap it just makes you more confident on the trails.
>>
>>55767
Age old cliche but honestly just try riding with people who are of a similar level/better than you, it's less about sponging skill of people as most claim, but more that it will get you to try stuff on the trail that hadn't occured to you, take new lines, ride new stuff etc.

That and go and learn to bunnyhop properly (Just practice with sticks and curbs or whatever) so you don't end up doing those fucking awful mountainbiker suspension bounce crabhops when it comes to it, honestly the amount of mtb riders who can't hop things the height of their axles is horrific.
>>
File: ranking.png (92 KB, 1159x510)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
What's your excuse for not owning a canyon Anon?
>>
>>55805
My nephew ended up with one of those for a steal, which I'm kind of jealous of. Do you think a 29 would feel lighter? Or would the larger diameter make it feel bigger/heavier?
>>
File: IMG_20210708_174647.jpg (529 KB, 2016x1134)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
>>55842
But I do have a Canyon

They're all sold out too
>>
>>55849
Nice. Why do you think Tordo chose the spectral over the strive?
>>
>>55850
I'm not familiar with the race but the Spectral is a more agile bike. Could also be Canyon wanting to advertise the Spectral 29er to add another winner to their lineup since the Aeroad, Ultimate, and Strive have a lot of wins under their belts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4m7l2DF2tI
The Spectral 29 can be ridden hard as fuck too, it's very versatile
>>
Is this a good starter bike? It's locally available and I can actually ride on it. I'm 174 CM
>>
>>55856
>the Spectral is a more agile bike
Huh, Moir says the opposite actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lymyl1E4Ld0
>>
>>55866
I was wrong, I thought the Strive would be longer since it's made for bombing down chunky trails at incredibly high speed but the Spectral has a longer wheelbase according to his description. I'm pretty sure the Spectral is the lighter bike, not sure about the Strive CFR.

perhaps all the suspension travel of the Strive wasn't needed for the run
>>
>>55869
After watching more of that video, the Spectral is very far from stock. Their Spectral has a coil shock which Canyon says do not use and it will void the warranty, and they're using a ZEB which is much more heavy duty than the Pike or Fox 36 they come with from the factory
>>
>>55869
The strive had conservative angles in 2019 after the frame was updated while the new spectral is an almost-enduro trail bike with similar geometry. The stock spectral is lighter but it's hard to know how those two in particular compare.

>>55870
Both bikes are far from stock. Aside from the coil shock, both are overforked to 180 I think, and the strive is running a spacer under the head tube to slacken it even more, it's also using a 155 or 160 shock instead of the usual 150.
>>
>>55871
Considering Jack Moir had to ride them both back to back to figure it out, I think it came down to feel and confidence
>>
>>55618
Taxco isn't technically part of the Cerro Abajo series but you're right. That course is really cool too once they get into the favelas or whatever the call those tight hilly neighborhoods
>>
>>55844
Im waiting for the 29 to come in . I tried KM with a 29 wheel and phew it feels a bit better!
>>
>>55885
In the video he says that the choice is basically because the strive is more maneuverable when riding blind or with little practice due to the steeper head tube angle and shorter wheelbase.
>>
>>55953
That's kind of what I mean. The Strive gave him more confidence for riding blind
>>
>>55954
But it's not just confidence and feel, steeper head tube angle and shorter wheelbase are objective reasons that have actual implications in how the bike rides.
>>
>>55888
Yeah, it's also pretty steep so it allows high speeds for long stretches of the course, you don't get that to the same degree in Valparaiso or Bogota. My hometown's topography is quite similar to that of Taxco and it has the unique possibility of mixing natural terrain and steep streets/stairs because it's located at the foot of a pretty prominent hill. I've been thinking about this for a while and I even have two possible courses in mind but I'm not exactly sure about what should be the next step here.
>>
>>55861
There are bikes like those(not 1x) for half the price if you want to start.
>>
>>55861
yeah that's a good place to start. If you start to love it, then you can start upgrading the fork, brakes, drivetrain, and get a dropper seat post. Doesn't seem like you'll be limited by the frame
>>
>>55861
>>56165
>then you can start upgrading the fork, brakes, drivetrain, and get a dropper seat post
Start from the dropper, it's the most important out of those because the seat post in the bike is rigid. Then upgrade the fork and the brakes at the same time, because a better fork allows you to go faster over rough terrain and you need better brakes to keep the bike in check.
>>
>>56166
>Start from the dropper
oh yeah, 100%. This has such a huge effect on riding and you feel it as an instant game changer
>>
>>56166
This, also trans-x makes super reliable super cheap droppers, they are oem suppliers for lots of different companies
>>
>>55404
>>55426
new megavalanche - it's cool how they enter the cloud-line

https://youtu.be/8mRyCxpumOY
>>
>>53276
Yeah this except my dads riding an ebike so i dont really have a chance up hill.
>>
>>56267
I watched this earlier and it was great. I can barely handle 1-2 minutes of sustained downhill, these braking bumps tire me out
>>
>>56293
Same. My fingers get all sore from holding the handlebars and brakes and my legs get tired from the pumping and crouching over the pedals. I'm not able to do nearly as much downhill as I'd like as a result.
>>
>>56295
My hands never get sore but my knees do so then I sit down to rest which just fucks up my run
>>
>>56206
If you are buying a dropper, you are better off just buying one of the nicer ones like PWN or OneUp. I have used several budget options and they just suck so much balls.
>>
>>56310
I can vouch for both of these brands. PNW and OneUp are also very easy to service and have excellent warranties
I know what your next question is going to be
> anon, why should I spend $70 on a remote for my dropper?
I had the same question as you when I ordered my first PNW dropper and wasn't sure about spending so much on a little lever. It's the best little lever and you're going to be flicking it a lot, also very easy to set up. You get what you pay for and you won't get buyers remorse when you use it for the first time
>>
>>56310
Guess who makes those.
>>
>>53185
Sold my dirt bike recently and was thinking about buying enduro mtb with something like 160/160 suspension and found a lot of nice bikes in this class but because of fucking covid bikes are insanely expensive atm. I was thinking about NS Bikes define AL 160.
>>
>>56339
Seems like a good choice. Luckily everyone is making excellent bikes so your only problem is that some brands are worse value than others. Check out the Ibis Ripmo AF if you can find one. The suspension linkage on it is amazing for climbing and you're going to want that on a bike like that
>>
>>56315
Is it the JEWS!!!!!!!?
>>
>>56449
TranzX, jackass.
>>
>>56449
kek
>>
>>56454
get your pronoun bullshit out of mtb
>>
File: 1624304450995.jpg (1.49 MB, 1944x1296)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
saw this sick little puppy posted on /n/ recently
>>
File: gear cluster.jpg (141 KB, 1245x699)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>56557
Holy based. That thing looks speedy with the blue rubber. What ever happened to coloured tires?

Does anyone know what the thing in picrel is called? The huge aluminum gears on my cassette are worn, but the rest are fine. I'd like to avoid buying a whole new cassette to replace 2 cogs, but I have no idea where to find just that set of gears
>>
>>56582
>I'd like to avoid buying a whole new cassette to replace 2 cogs
Normally this is not possible, although some cassettes allow this, like some of the models from e*thirteen.
>>
File: EWSCanazei19bo4i1327.jpg (173 KB, 500x333)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
Do you prefer hipacks or backpacks for enduro? I've been using a backpack since I started riding mtb but recently I got into racing enduro or riding stuff where using a chest protector is wise, and with the chest protector is uncomfortable. So I want to try a hip pack so it doesn't obstruct by back movement.
But how does the movement with it differ from the backpack since the center of gravity is shifted?
>>
>>56603
I don't race enduro or wear a chest protector but I prefer backpacks because they offer some protection if I fall on my back and they're more stable. I use a hip pack when I go gravel cycling because it lets my back breathe. I ride with people who prefer hip packs and they don't have any problems but I find that mine loosens up as I drink more or bounce around
>>
>>56454
So the jews then.
>>
>>56600
Checked. Fug, so I'm screwed if I have a shimano cassette? Is there really no way to get one of these that works with a shimano 11 speed without buying the whole cassette?
>>56603
Hip pack all the way. I haven't really noticed or thought about a weight shift, but the mobility and breathability for the back and shoulders is much better with the hip pack. For racing, going pack-less is best though
>>
File: PXL_20210702_111033767.jpg (3.59 MB, 4032x3024)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
>>56603

Depends how much stuff you want to put in there. In my experience you can only carry light weight stuff in a hip bag because when it gets too heavy it starts moving up and down too much in rought terrain. Also weight is balanced more evenly in a backpack.
>>
>>56638
holy fuck that is beautiful. BC?
>>
>>56616
>Is there really no way to get one of these that works with a shimano 11 speed without buying the whole cassette?
I don't think so, check their website because they have a comprehensible list of parts.
>>
>>56603
If I was worried enough to wear a chest and back protector I wouldn't want to store things at the base of my spine. I'd go for one on the chill short rides, backpack on long ones and just strap stuff to the bike for anything else.
>>
>>56604
That was a reason I used backpacks
>>56638
Just the 1.5L of water, hand pump, tools, wallet phone and keys and a sandwich or bars for the climb but I can just strap it with tape. Not much
>>56693
Its mainly for the chest protection since I usually lose grip, slide and OTB.

But the main problem is using both the protector and the hippack. With the backpack its horrible, but idk if is going to interfere pushong the back protector up
>>
>>56416
Climbing is the main issue i'm worried about when it comes to bikes like this so the idea of enduro bike that's good at climbing is really appealing to me. Looks like a good price for this type of bike too.
>>
Bros is tubeless a meme?.
Was riding the black at Coed A Brennin yesterday and cracked the rim on my 29er because the tubeless failed on me.
Idk if it was cause I was riding a hardtail or running a lower tire pressure (30psi roughly) but the rear smacked a rock and lost all the air out the rear.
>>
>>56805
It's obviously not a meme, had you been running tubes the same could have happened anyway, and it would have been more likely with tubes than with a tubeless setup actually. Also, 30 psi is not a low pressure at all.
>>
>>56805
>Bros is tubeless a meme?
>cracked the rim on my 29er
Shhhhh! Just run inserts, goy.
>>
>>56763
>I usually lose grip, slide and OTB
Not trying to be cheeky, but sounds like better bike handling skill would serve you better than armor m8
>>56805
>low tire pressure
>30psi
Sounds like you need downhill casing tyres. You'd be surprised how much a difference it makes. Even the pros don't run much over 26 psi
>>
What's better, EXO+ single ply or DD double ply? The single ply weighs over 150 grams less and I assume it will have better grip as well. It's an assguy 120 TPI just in case you were wondering.
>>
File: PXL_20210627_124832695.jpg (2.5 MB, 4032x2268)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>56683

no, switzerland. But the area looks kinda like bc or the rockies, especially nearby in italy
>>
>>56879

Depends on the rider/style and the terrain. Exo+ only works in the front in rocky terrain that's ridden fast. DD is the way to go for the back or even better super trail or super gravity if you are a heavier guy and ride gnarly stuff.
>>
>>56879
Really depends on the terrain. Sure you can go one of the heavier casing for increased protection, but Exo tier casing are sufficient for just about all riding you would do.
>>
>>56872
>git gud
Thats true, but kind of impossible as I become a faggot when its slippery and uncamber. But I still see riders just slidding without issue. Hoping the dh22s in the front will help a bit with confidence as assguys are kill
>>
>>55297
You can measure your sit bones at home by sitting on a piece of alfoil or something similar that will take an impression of your ass.
>>
>>56882
It's for the front tyre and there's quite a bit of rocky terrain around here.

>>56893
It's for enduro/trail riding, which is why I think the lighter one is better.
>>
>>56946
I like doubledown because it’s more supportive, my regular exo tires squirm and flip all over the place, even at higher (25) psi, while my doubledowns feel more consistent and don’t squirm even at low (20) psi
>>
>>56959
Oh, so you were talking about lateral support. I'm not particularly fast, so for me there's probably no big difference.
>>
>>56977
I mean if you’re buying assguys, you probably aren’t going super slow and need or eventually will need that support from the tire (but you can add that with inserts and pressure, I just prefer stiffer casings)
on the front I’d be more willing to try exo+, especially if it’s DD in the back, but exo+ is pretty close to exo performance and I’ve had squirming/rock puncture problems with exo in the past
>>
>>56881
fuuuuck i would kill to ride in a place like that. all the trails where i live are shit tier dustbowls. hope I can get out there someday
>>
>>56982
The assguy is obviously for the front, I run DHR IIs with DD in the back.
>>
>>57008
dhr 2 boo
>>
Admit it Anon, you are overbiked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Gk9zX-TZ4
>>
>>57027
>1h30
>>
>>57175
Precisely, and still faster and more capable than many folks on proper enduro bikes.
>>
>>53185
test
>>
>>57027
KEK
>>
>>56810

To clarify 70% of the year I'm using my bike to ride pavements around Uni or for cross country, I'm used to running high pressure for that.
With the way this failed in specific it wouldn't have failed on a tube imo (the tire hit the rock and an angle which opened a pocket for air to escape between the rim and the tire).

I actually think >>56872
is right, because the bike is used for mostly not downhill/trails the rear tire is a cross country one.
>>
>>57414
So you mean that a tyre burp led to a cracked rim? Are you sure that's what happened?
>>
Anyone have AXS on their bike? My Shimano XT RD is great at shifting and it has a light weight but what really caught my eye about AXS is that the RDs are able to protect themselves from the type of impacts I get from slipping off angled roots that are common on my trails.
>>
>>57454
Bro anything you have to charge every two rides is wack
>>
>>57455
The battery lasts for 40-50 hours, That's a whole suspension service interval. Stop believing the poorfag /n/ memes.
>>
>>57456
Yeah with the minimum shifting amount sure, but I’m mountain biking, excessive shifting is kind of part of it
AXS isn’t something I’d wanna go bikepacking with for example, 2 or more days heavy usage without charging
>>
>>57458
I'm not going to be backpacking. I'm going to be bombing singletrack 1-3 times a week with the average ride being 90 minutes of riding in total with most of being climbing. I charge my phone every day and my Wahoo every week, charging the AXS battery once a month to be on the safe side is nothing.
>>
>>57414
>>57450
Unless the rim was on its last legs about to fail, burping your tyre is not going to cause.

>>57456
Go back to /n/ you nong.
>>
>>57557
>Go back to /n/ you nong.
>/n/
>advocating for top of the line technology that can't be bought for $7.34 from aliexpress
>>
>>57450
Im about 90% sure thats what happened. Or at least the loss in pressure from the burp allowed the rim to get damaged as i came to a stop.

The tire itself got slightly torn up and theres damage to the tire that lines up with where the crack on the rim is.
I said earlier that I was running about 30psi but i should clarify that was at the start of the day and when inspecting the tire later there was more damage that could have let air out throughout the day.

>>57557
Rim was fairly new on the bike definitely not last legs but i can't think of an alternate explanation for the damage to the rim outside of the loss of pressure in the tire.
>>
>>57632
It's entirely possible you were burping it throughout the day. This one time I did a long rear skid and I ended up burping my Maxxis Aggressor. By the time you hit that bump, maybe your pressure dropped low enough that you were able to hit the rim
>>
>>57632
Burping typically releases small amounts of air, there's something fishy going on here.
>>
>>57689
When I inspected the tire post-ride there were a few small punctures in it but those should all have been dealt with by the sealant before any major loss of air.
I had felt earlier in the day while climbing a fire road that the rear was soft but when i did a visual check both me and the guy i was riding with didnt see it as being especially low so I put it down to just mind games (and it rode fine for a good 3-5 miles at that pressure anyway)

When it finally went I heard 3 large releases of air before i stopped because there was zero air in the rear. Also it appeared that the rock i hit ripped part of the tire's side by where the rim was cracked which I figure is another reason it leaked air so fast.

I'm open to alternate explanations but for the life of me I cant see what else it would have been.
>>
>>57691

You rim was likely cracked by a significantly forceful impact. Your tyre does not have to be flat for the impact to damage the rim. I have dented rims that were properly inflated because I hit a rock in a particularly heavy G out. Also, if you pressure is high enough that the tyre does not deform the force of the impact will be transferred to the rim.
>>
>>57696
>if you pressure is high enough that the tyre does not deform the force of the impact will be transferred to the rim.
You need to be running more than 120 psi for this to be an issue, unless your rim is being held together with tape.
>>
>>57763
I mean you’re right but a lot of rims are actually joined together by nothing
>>
>>57763
What is high school physics? Even at supper low tyre pressures a degree of the impact force will be transferred to the rim, just not enough to do anything to the rim.
>>
Got an email from my wheelbuilder saying that the i9 hydra hubs are out of stock and may come back in September. I'm a little bummed but the i9 1/1 hubs are almost as good with the differences being almost impossible to feel and I save $250
>>
anyone got tips for tabletops? i can now sometimes get whips to 90 degrees, but it doesnt feel steezy doing the same trick on every jump
>>
>>57796
You clearly didn't graduate HS.
>>
>>57844
I mean, I have. I have gone as far as getting a PhD. So I understand basic science, unlike you.
>>
>>57027
I mean if you want to watch people riding stupid shit and still being better than most of the riding population, yt is all over that. That's basically all Sam Pilgrim does now for example. https://youtu.be/uUVFKa7Dnxo
>>
>>57962
Is being over biked really that bad? Riding a DH bike on anything other than shuttle/lift runs is over biked. But is there anything wrong with a little bit squish that you really dont need?
>>
File: 20210722_145835.jpg (2.04 MB, 4032x2268)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
How the fuck to I get to clean this bearings. I can't remove the seal. The blue one is "softer" and the black one is "harder". And I can't remove the blue one. I already regreased others by removing the seal and cleaning them. The one near the camera is particularly gritty and needs to be changed. I don't have alot of time, like 12 hours before I leave to fix it. Do I just ride it like this weekend and take it to the bike shop afterwards?
>>
>>57853
>I have gone as far as getting a PhD
Sure thing bro, sounds totally legit. I'm going to go eat supper now.
>>
>>57994
Those are sealed bearings. You're not supposed to take them apart. The whole thing needs to be replaced, especially now that you've torn them apart.
>>
>>58070
Bearings that don't make full rotations (linkages and headsets basically) can be rotated 90/180 degrees and cleaned and repacked with grease before being replaced later on. It's a bit of a bodge, but you get more bang out of your buck.
>>
>>58068
Not everyone on the internet is lying. Just because I know more than you is no reasons for you to get upset.
>>
>>58117
>I know more than you is no reasons for you to get upset
>>
>>57796
>Even at supper low tyre pressures a degree of the impact force will be transferred to the rim
>>
>My dad works at Shimano
>>
>>58127
>I'm a direct descendant of Shozaburo Shimano
>>
>>58124
>>58125
>>58127
>>58130
Lol. Why are so mad bro? Did you not get to go riding today?

Coop Seethe Dilate. Namaste.
>>
>>55573
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-garbaruk-12-speed-cassette-for-sram-eagle.html
>>
>>58153
Thanks, I'll definitely go "Coop'" later.
>>
>>55861
Poor value for the components (unless it's canuck bucks) but Rocky Mountain is a trusted brand and at a glance looks like the geo isn't that bad.
>>
File: IMG_20210720_123537.jpg (203 KB, 1134x2016)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>58171
I should have updated but I already ordered it and received it earlier this week. The construction feels very solid, everything that isn't the big aluminum cog is one milled piece. I'm still waiting on the wheels(Berd TR30s with I9 1/1 hubs), OneUp EDC V2 stem(PO of the Fox 34 Factory I bought threaded it for it so I may as well use it), derailleur(ordered SRAM GX AXS after hearing great things about it, I want to try it out), and I'm waiting for PNW Components to send me a Loam Dropper Post when they come back in stock in the middle of August.

>>58173
Everything is worse value right now. I always recommend Marin but their bikes are almost impossible to find because word got out to the normies that they're the best bang for your buck
The used bike market is starting to improve. There are more bikes being put up for sale from people who thought they were going to be mountain bikers when the lockdowns started
>>
>>58070
Yes, I was trying to do as >>58095 said. Did the headset and some of the pivkts already but I cant remove these at all. But I already booked with the lbs since the bearing puller is like 80€ cheapest.
>>
>>58173
Personally beat the absolute utter shit out of my Rocky Mountain Growler hardtail for years, it had the most boring geo, front suntour fork sounded like a shopping cart going down hill, brakes were lowest end deore garbage, smashed the rear wheel so many times it had to be replaced as it stopped holding air, heavy as a lead brick.

Loved that piece of shit, I still have it but haven't bothered to replace the rear wheel again after smashing a second one. Rocky Mountain's build quality are solid despite trying to destroy one.
>>
Guys, might have the opportunity to pick up a Giant Stance 27.5+ tomorrow. They will be getting some 29s in but who knows when they will show up. Anyways, should I just grab what I can? I'm 5'9 and was told that a 27.5 might be better for my height because of lower center of gravity.
Side question: are droppers worth it?
>>
>>58377
>Side question: are droppers worth it?
>asking this question in the current year
They are the single most important upgrade to a bike that doesn't have one.
>>
>>58377
Droppers are so damn good and a real game changer to mountain bikes. It's not even close to being a meme. I can't even imagine how much it would suck to not have one on an mtb.
>>
>>58379
>>58384
fucking solid, I'll see if this shop has the right size in stock tomorrow. Thanks
>>
This is my mountain bike. It's a 1989 specialized rockhopper. What do you guys think?
>>
>>58377
>27.5+

I cannot think of anything worse. I would get the 29ner instead. Also, plus tyres are a meme anything other than aggress hard tails.

From memory stances don't come with a dropper. Buy one the same day you buy the bike. Riding without a dropper fucking sucks. You might as well not ride if you dont have one.

>>58410
1. Why ride that thing?
2. Fuck you for posting the photo sideways.
>>
File: 20210724_120015.jpg (3.77 MB, 4608x2592)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
Where are you riding this weekend /mtb/?
>>
>>58444
>1. Why ride that thing?
Being underbiked on easy trails can be fun. Also, old bikes are good to sharpen up your skills because technology is not there to save your ass.
>>
>>58377
>>58379
>>58444
Any reccs for a dropper? And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the 27.5 because of availability, first bike in a long while, and I just want to have fun for now.
>>
>>58480
Depends on you what you want and what's compatible with your bike.
>>
>>58476
I have a CX bike is ride on easy trails sometimes. While it is fun, all I think about is how much more fun I would be having on a real modern MTB. The skills argument is point less because what you can ride a modern MTB on verse some 20-30 year piece of shit is completely different.

>>58476
Unless you are planning to upgrade in a year or so, I would wait for a 29ner. It is just going to perform better than 27.5+.

I would recommend PNW loam dropper or a OneUp dropper. Also, grab yourself an aftermarket dropper lever (e.g. wolftooth).
>>
well everyone, I got my first MTB in forever. 2021 Giant Stance 27.5. Immediately upgraded the pedals but the droppers they had there were like $300 so I'm shopping around for something more affordable to pair with this affordable bike.
>>
File: IMG_20210724_102113.jpg (357 KB, 2016x1134)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>58466
Monte Bello Open Space Preserve
>>
>>58466

Italy. Where were you riding in France? Can you recommend some epic alpine trails?
>>
>>58630
What lake is that? I've been meaning to do something in Italy lately, what would you recommend? The closest to Brenner Pass, the better.
>>
>>58632

Northern part of Lago die livigno. I think Sella Ronda is close to Brenner but pretty crowded this time of the year. But it's easy and lift assisted Madritschjoch is epic if you are comfortable riding long alpine descents.
>>
>>58630
It was Oz en oisans. There were some steep and fast and rocky sections if you start from L'alpette. To oz en oisans.
>>
>>58636
Its En9 and the other doesn't show. Its for a race though. I'll get the strava once I pass there. First time in the alps though
>>
>>58635
>Madritschjoch
Seems like just the thing. Grazie anon.
>>
3 hours until Hardline lads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuL0xmWdeE
>>
Is upgrading the damper from a yari RC MoCo to a charger 2.1 worth it? I have no problems with big stuff or slow tech stuff at all but when I go into repetitive rocky fast stuff, I just feel it does nothing. It left my wrist is fucked after 2 days of riding in a bike park, I can barely move it. Do I need to git gud, workout more(don't think so since only legs and hand(fingers)were failing, the arm pump was minimal and only sore thing are my triceps), or it will be unnoticeable be more of a placebo? I had a 2015 rct3 pike and remember riding rocky stuff without having my wrists sore after 2 runs, only arms due to actual arm pump
>>
>>58958
Charger 2.1 certainly is better than what the yari has. But I would look into aftermarket cartridges for the air spring side (e.g. DSD Runt) to more fine tune the air spring.
>>
>>58958
Yes absolutely, motion control damper is very old and basic cost-prioritized damper that honestly shouldn’t be in high level fork chassis, I have charger 1 and it’s way better than the last cheap fork with motion control (I do my 50hr services, it wasn’t because the moco fork was old) also im pretty sure my motion control damper also stopped working after keeping my bike out all winter, idk what happened there, springtime came and it was like 80% pogo stick, I ended up just removing the moco damper, I was also much younger.
Charger 1 is a lot softer in corners compared to fox GRIP damper no matter how much LSC you give it, but this makes it great for bumpy high speed downhill tech, I’m glad I have the rockshox charger on the downhill bike and fox GRIP on the bike that climbs
I haven’t tried charger 2 or 2.1 but I’ve heard they’re a pretty significant improvement from charger 1 though
>>58984
I still think upgrading MoCo is a bigger priority but yeah airspring upgrades are usually pretty cheap and make a reasonable difference, if he has a non-2021 debonair fork he can upgrade the debonair airspring for $40 to have a bigger positive airspring that equalizes at top out, it’ll ride higher in the travel and fix that “5mm auto-sag” thing that original debonair does, he can change the travel at the same time if he wants, it’s pretty easy to install yourself, I did it watching an episode of avatar talking to my roommates
>>
File: 1595261195333.jpg (6 KB, 250x214)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>58444
>Why ride that thing?
I'm poor and i really wanted to try mountain biking so i picked up this cheap bike, it's a good bike though, i like it
>>
File: IMG_20210726_204758_317.jpg (155 KB, 1080x1920)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
So does anyone have any tips for a noob riding an old rigid on single track? I've riden dirtbikes for a while so I am not a total retard and understand the dynamics of braking downhill and it seems to transfer over to mountain bikes. I've also realized that I need to keep my grip on the bars loose enough that i don't get vibrated off the bike
>>
>>58984
>>59001
So upgrading the damper is a priority. I have a 2020 yari so I'll do the airspring upgrade later on since I had some big mtb related expenses recently and I can't just throw more money.
>>
>>58958

If you can get it if you are not from europe try the MST cartridge for the yari. People say its better thatn the rock shox stuff.

You can also modifiy the motion control pretty easily for more small bump sensivitiy:

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/yari-tuning.907864/
>>
>>59001
I am not talking about the actual air spring. I am talking about after market add ons that allow more fine tuning to the air spring. For example the DSD Runt as a second air spring that screws into the top of the left leg.
>>
>>59084
>MST
I'm in France so its an option
But I don't know about servicability. Bikes shops I go charge depending on fork and I bet they will charge me more when I tell I have a charger 2.1 or a niche MST.
>>
>>58444
I guess 27.5+ is wrong, it's not a + it's just kinda fat at 2.6, so it's 27.5x2.6. Not fat, not skinny. We have tons of single track, wooded trails here where I am. I've gone out a couple of times but it's definitely more bike than I can handle at the moment.
Those droppers you recommended are all sold out right now, so I'm gonna keep shopping around for something affordable.
>>
>>59085
Once you screw a runt on, it becomes part of the actual airspring
>>
What does /xs/ make of the olympic MTB event?.
>>
>>59036
Pick your lines wisely
Lower your saddle height a few inches for trail riding
Your legs are your shocks, use 'em!
There's a sweet spot in speed, too fast and you will be rattled to death. Too slow and every feature (roots, rocks, etc) will become a chore or even catch a wheel and send you over the bars.
Sometimes you just have to hold on tight and ride through some nasty shit.
Don't do any epic sends, unless you want to break yourself or your bike.
>>
>>59123
That XC circuit was lame as fuck. It looked more like a minigulf course. The olympics are trash unless you see womens volleyball, women's pole vaulting or the death march which is kino
>>
>>59131
I'm working out of the office right now and caught the womens XC and agree with your assessment that it looks liek a minigolf course, then they went to mens volleyball. I'd rather see men chooch quickly XC and then womens volleyball. Luck of the draw I guess
>>
File: frame-primal29_0.jpg (288 KB, 1172x600)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
What do you think of dartmoor frames?
I am thinking about buying a 29"Primal Al frame for a budget downcountry hardtail build.

https://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/enduro-trail/primal-29-2021

Yay or Nay?
>>
>>59095

I heard that MST is more easier serviceable than the charger due to not having a bladder
>>
>>59119
The runt is a self contained air spring. Thus, two air springs.
>>
>>59103
2.6 is the start of the + tyre category. You are better off running 2.5/2.4 sized tyres. Sold out where? I can go online and buy them right now.
>>
>>59143
but people never do their 200hr damper services anyways, and any tinkering outside of damper disassembly is all really straightforward
>>
>>59154
Gotcha. And none of the droppers in my size are in stock. 30.9/125mm travel. Thinking about getting a PNW Ridge and the remote for it.
>>
>>59374
The PNW Loam Lever may seem like a meme at $70 but I have bought 3 of them for different bikes because they're so good.
The Wolftooth remote is great too but costs the same so it's up to you if you want a cool, solid metal lever, or a cool, solid metal lever with rubber on it. I've never found grip to be an issue with levers but some people will put grip tape on their levers
>>
>>59453
It's $20 more than the one I was looking at so at that point I'll just go for the loam lever. I just don't wanna put too much into this entry full sus
>>
>>59131
It gave me golf course vibes but they did have some decent obstacles.
Olympic sailing is okay.
>>
>>59374
Literally found one in 5 minutes on CRC. Also, 125mm of drop? Are you a manlet?
>>
What is /xs/ thoughts on short travel enduro bikes?

I currently ride a Norco Range (2020) and it is a great enduro bike, but it is a tough bigger and heavier than what I would really like for the trails I normally ride and race.

I have been considering building up a Norco Optic (I can get them cheap) but switch out the pike out for a shortened zeb, med neg can on the super deluxe, codes and big rotors, and some EX511 rims. I am hoping to get a lighter and more nimble bike out of it that can still smash downhill.

Tell me this isn't a retarded idea /xs/.
>>
>>59544
How short are you talking? I've thought about going with a short Pike Ultimate or maybe a Fox 36 but I ultimately decided to go the other way with the fork to build a beefier downcountry bike instead( >>55440) that's more like a manlet trail bike since I chose a Fox 34 Factory Fit4 with 130mm of travel
I like your idea but the ZEB might be overkill. It's only been around for a year but it's possible someone already tried your idea with a Fox 38. I think your idea might work out better for me since it'll absorb the shocks better but I specc'd for Berd Wheels to get extra damping, durability, and to shed weight for the climbs
>>
140 front and 125 rear (the stock Optic spec's). I have rode, nothing too crazy, in the past and it rode well. If I am going to loose some of the plough-ability of an enduro bike, I might as well get a beefier fork to compensate. I have rode a 38 in the past and it certainly stiffer than my lyric. I am again the Zeb is the same.

I am not too worried about weight since it will be a carbon frame, but I might run a carbon rim on the front with the EX511 in the back for those marginal gains. I ride the rear wheel pretty hard so I want something that will stand up to the abuse.
>>
>>57816
Bar turns, as big as you can go, after that, 1 hand off, one foot off ect.. suicides where you put your hand behind your back and then back onto the bars
>>
>>58070
They are sealed bearings and the seals are removable for cleaning/regreasing. Even if he damaged the seals they would still work fine, it will just be a shorter time untile he needs to clean them again
>>
>>59544

makes no sense. The bigger diameter forks were designed for longer travel. If you have more stanction overlap you will just carry unused weight around, especially with reduced travel which will lower your speed.

For the money of an additional bike I would shave weight from the enduro or if it is too much settle for your ideal travel bike.

Personally 160 mm is ideal for a do it all bike if you mainly ride faster trails. And I wouldn't go much lower than that, even on mellower trails because if you are going fast you'll need the travel there too.

I can't really imagine a scenario where I wouldn't blow through 125mm of real travel on almost any trail.
>>
>>59544
EX511 is overkill, lowered zeb is stupid just get a fox 36 or even just a Lyrik/pike, rest of the plan seems reasonable, short travel is fun, don’t expect the weight savings to do much for you though
>>
>>59544
Also be careful tinkering with the shock on those shorter travel bikes, they seem to be more particular about their spring response, and if the bike has a naturally linear suspension response, you might not want to make the shock even more linear with a bigger negative spring, those lighter weight bikes are usually designed around a really progressive air can
>>
>>59553
When you shorten a fork it becomes much stiffer, I noticed a stiffness loss going from 160 to 180 on my Lyrik (the zeb was requested a lot specifically because the Lyrik at 180 could use more stiffness, that’s kinda the upper limit of rockshox’s 35mm single crown travel, I don’t think the zeb is a “better fork” than the lyrik, they’re identical except the size of the tubes and once you knock 50mm off of the intended travel, there’s just a lot of wasted stanchion never doing anything, being heavy
>>
>trail closed last week due to professional race, most racers likely running strava
>ride trail today, 2nd place global time on strava
Should I start racing or what?
>>
>>59681
For the record it’s a month old trail and has 300 people on strava with times, 1st place is 10 seconds ahead of me (2 minute track) and 2nd place is 3 seconds behind me
>>
File: IMG_20210729_181317.jpg (241 KB, 2016x1134)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
I went down today. I tried to take a turn faster by taking a wider line but I ended up passing through a patch of dry oak leaves on loose dust and I slipped and went down on my new Dainese Trail Skins Air knee pads. I got one of those indian burn type scrapes on my knee but it's fine aside from that. I ended up really hurting my ankle so I'll be icing it for the next few days and not riding.

Shred hard for me this weekend. I'll just be doing bike maintenance. I'll see if I can find an NX eagle chain at a bike shop since I'm due for a change anyway
>>
I got a Specialized Turbo Levo last year and this year I sold all my other mountain bikes. I will never again be able to torture myself uphill for 10 minutes of downhill trails. I mean when I go snowboarding I use the lift and don't climb the mountain on foot. E mountain biking is the future.
>>
>>59718
you will also become an out of shape piece of shit. congrats.
>>
>>59723
Not really, I ride three times as far as before and downhill is exhausting too. Also I'm doing calisthenics.
>>
>>59682
>>59681
>Should I start racing or what?
Go for it, it's pretty fun.
>>
>>59725
Yeah, but you did that distance on an ebike where all off the hard riding (i.e. riding up hills). So congrats on becoming an old fat fuck
>>
>>59725
pusseh.
>>
> hating ebikes
> not tying a leash on an ebiker and using them to pull you uphill while you enjoy the lighter weight of your bike for the descents and flats
>>
>>59762
I'm going to bike park tomorrow bros, I'm exited

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.