[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Last thread was at the bump limit.

Other jacketed wrestling styles welcome.

Link to the previous thread >>34312
>>
Found an old fight of a Judoka taking on a Muay-Thai fighter. Thought you boys would appreciate it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvXjF1oadgk
>>
>>>/wsg/3975722
>>
how do you guys set up your drop seoi nage against an opposite sided player?
>>
>>50527
your power side or lead hand pulls back from a circular step back, that square's up uke's hips and stance letting you hop and drop into your drop seoi
>>
Can short people do Judo? I think I'll only seen tall Judoka till date(sucessful ones).
>>
>>50530
how much judo have you seen cause all of the international judo streams have short tanklets hell look at MMA and all the good judo people in it like Ronda Rousey and Karo P are pretty short
>>
>>50531
>how much judo have you seen
Olympics.
>>
>>50528
more wondering about complementary techniques.
Been doing drop morote for a couple years, but entry has always been hard in LvR stance.
Thinking of working in a yoko tomoe nage to round out my game, but god that throw is hard to learn.

>>50530
A lot of the dominant japanese fighters are short, even for their weight category.
>>
Putin is an absolute cunt but he's a little bit based at the same time. real Gaddafi areas
>>
its very counter intuitive
your tokui waza must become perfect
and they must be uki otoshi and sumi otoshi

That is all. Keep these two things in mind
and achieve invincibility
>>
Waifu status: CLAIMED
>>
>>50440
entertaining fight
>>
File: Daria Bilodid Judo.webm (2.95 MB, 1280x720)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>>
My teacher has been actively discouraging me from coming. He says that I am too weak to fight and do not have the drive to achieve anything. He says that martial arts as a sport is stupid and that martial arts should only be practiced as self defense. I know that none of these things are true and feel worse coming home from the gym than from coming from work. At this point I regret signing up, I had a great time at my old gym even if I wasn’t as good as the other students I enjoyed improving myself. Im going to cancel my contract and look elsewhere
>>
>>50725
lmao you quitting proves him right you weak willed bitch
>>
>>50743
You are right, I should give up.
>>
>>50743
>paying some weird dickhead who takes himself too seriously to treat you like shit and belittle you
Why don't you just let him fuck your girlfriend too? That guy can go fuck himself, take your business elsewhere. For any sane person in the modern era martial arts is a hobby or a job. Neither justifies putting up with that bullshit at your own cost.
>>
>>50725
sounds like an absolute faggot. Go find another place that guy's a dick.
>>
>>50725
Are you training Judo? I've never met a Judo instructor who is that much up his own ass. Disapproving of the olympic ruleset is one thing, ignoring the value of competition is purely retarded and I would expect it more from wannabe hardass Japanese Jujutsu guys and Krav Maga dipshits.
>>
>>
Start with judo + boxing or judo + tennis this fall? 29 yo, not in shape or strong because I have consistently failed keeping up a lifting routine for longer than three months at a time. I spend all my time with texts and wasn't very active as a child, I want to make my life richer by experiencing sports. Did judo for a bit as a kid and went to about five boxing classes at 15. Never tried tennis but it's allegedly addicive and fun. I'm looking for

>working out in order to focus at work
>working out to keep up a celibate life
>having fun, maybe meet people, at least chat a bit after practice
>coming back consistently
>trying what happens when/if the competitive side my mother repressed is allowed/teased to develop

Thanks a bunch, sorry if this doesn't belong here, I'm a tourist from /lit/ and to some extent /fit/.
>>
>>50893
do whatever appeals to you most.
In the end, sticking to it is the only thing that matters. Your enjoyment of the sport plays a large role in that. If I was you, I would try all 3, and pick the one which you have the most fun in.
I see a lot of people come and go. They show up for the first couple of months, and look like they're enjoying training, but after a year or two most of them are gone.
I think that's often the case for grappling sports like judo and wrestling-- it's quite a tough grind, and progress is slow.
Consider only doing one thing, if you think it will help you stay dedicated. I can't speak for tennis or boxing, but for judo you should train at least 3 times a week if you want to make decent progress.
I feel the same way about lifting though, I only lift to stay competitive in judo, otherwise I wouldn't feel very motivated to do it.
>>
>>50725
How long have you been training? Do you do your best when you train or are you one of those lazy guys who allow themselves to be thrown/pinned without giving a struggle ? What made your sensei say this stuff to you?
>>
>>50893
Tennis if you like DFW
Lifting if you like Mishima
Cricket if you like Joyce
Boxing if you like Hemingway

simple as
>>
>>50898
Thank you, anon, I'll take what you say into consideration. Not entirely sure the local club has three sessions open every week for beginners, it might only be two, but the post-corona schedual isn't up yet. But I'd love to try many different things, it's mostly a question of avoiding injuries and managing recovery. I'm also looking at ballet classes, which would be once a week. I love dancing but haven't had any formal training and if I'm going to do something purely for fun I might as well work on my flexibility. I don't really mind women laughing at me so why not?
>>51008
'ate Hemmingway
'avn't read the rest
luv Jünger
luv Russians (don't larp as em just like em)
luv Marquez
luv Heidegger
luv Nietzsche

simple as
>>
>>50893
If you're looking for fun just then do whatever one you seems to enjoy the most. If you're looking to get good then I would say focus on one and then move to the others. If you're looking for hot chicks I would say tennis.
>>
>>51022
I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy judo the most, just want to know if either of the others is clearly retarded to start with simultaneously. Also, aren't tennis girls more insane than the average woman?
>>
>>50439
There are still many days left before the old thread dies. Convention is to link from the old thread to the new thread. I was wondering why no one else was posting there.
>>
FUCK THE OLYMPIC COMITEE AND FUCK THE IJF
>>
>>50530
Of course, some of the earliest and greatest judokas have been manlets, like Kano and Mifune for example
>>
Why isn't Judo as popular or successful as BJJ? Is it because of the UFC and obnoxious marketing or BJJ as "THE ultime martial art" the reason?
>>
>>51054
>Why isn't Judo as popular or successful as BJJ?
Judo in the US may be dying, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Judo is still the most popular martial art in the world by far. Significantly more people do judo in Brazil than BJJ despite being the literal birthplace of it. France has 600,000-800,000 registered judoka which is 3x or more the amount of people registered in wrestling in the US.
>>
>>51054
>Is it because of the UFC
No. Not anymore at least. Originally yes but currently it's just treated as any other martial art.

BJJ is popular because it's the only effective martial art that doesn't cripple your body. Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, all those arts are some intense shit. BJJ you can do it for decades just fine.
>>
>>51068
>which is 3x or more the amount of people registered in wrestling in the US
I was with you until that last part. Who the fuck "registers" for wrestling? I wrestled for 6 years. I never "registered" for anything, nor did anyone. You just show up to practice with your $20 shoes and ta-da! You're a wrestler now. There is no official process.
>>
>>51085
I'd argue the same is true of judo if you do your ukemi properly instead of hurting yourself to prevent your opponent from scoring ippon and recognize your physical limits as you get older. BJJ is literally just a specialized school of judo.
>>
>>51086
>You just show up to practice with your $20 shoes
In my town the youth wrestling club and the middle and high school coaches kept a donation bin of old shoes for kids who couldn't afford new ones.
>>
>>51085
>BJJ is popular because it's the only effective martial art that doesn't cripple your body
lolno

BJJ might be less risky, but it absolutely can cripple your body at a rate not far off from the other things. I know a bunch of guys with destroyed knees, back backs, etc. Sure you can train BJJ for decades if you go light exclusively, but you can do that with all the other martial arts you named.

>>51086
Lots of clubs/coaches are chartered/certified by USA wrestling. Gives you access to events, programs, insurance, etc.

https://www.teamusa.org/

Their website states they had a record of 233,000 members in total including both athletes and coaches. There's roughly 250-260,000 high school wrestlers and 10,000 collegiate wrestlers in the US. Even if we assume there's zero crossover between USA Wrestling and the scholastic wrestling system, it'd still only match the lower bound of judokas in France at best.
>>
>>51105
There was a meme about 10 years ago that BJJ was as gentle as yoga and you could totally just be a hobbyist and have a full time job and be no worse for the wear. Seems like that narrative is eroding now that everyone can think of 4 or 5 guys from their gym in their 30s with old man backs, knees, and shoulders. If anything strikers have by far the best longevity. With the trade off being that brain damage now enters the equation. Unfair.
>>
I think I got mild concussion today. I took a big throw face first and I was feeling slightly disoriented driving back from practice.

Am I being a pussy, or should I just chill for a couple days?
>>
>>51197
Don't take chances with your brain, rest.
>>
>>51197
I wouldn't risk it. Take some time off.
>>
>got dabbed on by an uchimata spammer
>>
>>51197
sounds like you're concussed as fuck my G. I'm no doctor though. Try and get someone to do that eye dilatation thing to you. Easy way to check.
>>
What is the are some ashi-waza to set up tai-otoshi besides o-uchi?
>>
>>
>>51197
just go light next session

>>51497
from what position?

>>51316
lol
>>
>179 cm
>120kg
>sukashi’d the fuck outta Teddy

Chad
>>
>>
File: teddy and vladdy.gif (563 KB, 300x321)
563 KB
563 KB GIF
>>51535
>Teddy
I thought he died a century ago.
>>
Feels bad for Deguchi to have a dirty drop seoi spammer get the 57kg slot, but Klimkait seems to have a hot hand recently
>>
>>50589
>>51576
>>
Why is uchimata the most popular throw in international judo?
>>
>>51717
Japanese international team help set the meta an their head coach is like the guy to learn uchi mata from. Rest of international community emulate an hence shape the meta
>>
Judo > BJJ
Fight me brah
>>
>>
>>51745
>Judo vs Judo
?
>>
>>51745
yes, the entire category "judo" is greater than the subset of the category "judo" called "bjj"
>>
>>51054
To add to what the other anons said (and assuming your coming from a perspective of american judo) is that a major demographic for BJJ is the adult hobbyist population where there is more focused placed on children in Judo. Add that to the fact that BJJ schools are for profit thus significantly more sustainable then a lot of Judo schools in America where they rely on older adult volunteers to teach in addition to not receiving money from the government like a lot of other countries do. Culturally, you also have wrestling competing for it's share of students.

Personally, I'm somewhat optimistic about Judo's future because it seems that bjj is starting to figure out that they have a takedown problem among other issues. This applies more to no-gi than gi but bjj "becoming a more complete art" turns it into catch wrestling and judo respectively.
>>
>>51861
People forget that Judo has always been open to outside influences. Even the Japanese adapted from Sombo in the 1960's and 1970's when the Soviets entered the world stage. Now they're assimilating BJJ into their newaza and transitions.

Besides Judo's future is never in doubt. It's been popularized and spread throughout the 20th century and still growing.
>>
>>51922
Wish Judo would adopt the Sambo jacket.
>>
>>51975
What's the difference?
>>
>>51992
different jacket
>>
>>51992
Sambo jacket has a little slit that keeps the belt in place. You don't have to worry about the belt being undone.
>>
>>52011
>You don't have to worry about the belt being undone.
I already don't because I tie my belt properly. Just take the extra 5 seconds to dress your knot and it should hold.
>>
>>51992
In addition to the slits for the belt, there are also epaulets that allow for different grips.
>>
>>52018
BJJ/Sambo spar a lot more than Judo since Judo sparring involves one of the participants getting hit with the planet. Belt comes undone a lot more.
>>
>>52088
Whenever I've visited BJJ schools in my judo gi I've been fine. My judo school used to have dedicated 2hr ne waza practices on Saturday and I was fine for that, too. My gi gets untucked all the time in judo and BJJ, which the belt loops on the sambo jacket would fix, but the actual knot itself holds.
>>
>>52088
>Sambo spar a lot more than Judo since Judo sparring involves one of the participants getting hit with the planet
bro what do you think sambo is
>>
>>52088
Are you retarded? Sambo loves those Georgian-style deep, down the back throws
>>
File: 1504495962585.jpg (17 KB, 284x285)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>that moment where you see the opening and know you're going to land the throw
>>
this is my waifu
say something nice about her
>>
>>52284
>tfw no central asian judofu gf
>>
>>52284
i watched this. during GS Antalya
>>
>>52182
Is it true that in Georgia they just call it a grip
>>
>>51846
You meant: "Jiu Jitsu lite" vs "Jiu Jitsu lite"?

>>51847
Kano stole from Jiu Jitsu everything he knew.

It is like Floyd Mayweather starting to call his specific style of fighting as "Maydo" and saying it isn't boxing.
>>
>move to new area
>only judo gym in the area closed down the past year
What do bros? I guess I could try to join a BJJ gym and see if anyone wants to drill throws during open mat, but not sure how much I'd improve just doing that.
>>
>>52352
>stole
He reinvented the pedagogy and added pholosophical guidelines. Thats not theft thats dorect succession. In fact, despite his insistance on his art being called "judo" it was most often called "kano jujutsu" by his japanese contemporaries which is why the term survived overseas as brazilian jiujitsu.
>>
>>52360
Yeah no reason to do half ass judo. I would just immerse yourself in the BJJ game and expand your skill set. You can worry about adapting it later.
>>
File: 71cIdMCYGzL[1].jpg (193 KB, 1600x904)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>52360
Take the opportunity to git gud at ne waza.
>>
>>
>>46076
>>47067
What's the throw called?
>>
>>50743
Simply correct. You can continue to show up and prove him wrong. Just get good even tho you don’t wanna fight competitively.
>>
>>51505
Fuck that look like it hurt

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.