[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What’s /xs/‘s thoughts on Eskrima and some other weapon based martial arts?
>>
I bump because i want to learn about the kali-related kino mutai
>also colombia has a good stick and machete art
>>
The way I see it is if I only have so much time to dedicate to martial arts I'm not going to spend it learning to swing a stick
I could probably figure out how to hurt someone with a stick on the fly. Like just smack the fuck out of him
>>
Every martial arts that can't be turned into a full contact competitive combat sport is only relevant for cultural preservation reasons. So unless we are talking about some ancient indian hoe fighting the natives used to fight the brits or whatever, the style have no real purpose to exist.
>>
>>5692
i think it was used by some guerrilla against invaders.
i dont remember if (the invaders)were USA pigs or other asians.
>>
>>4831
You can watch "matches" in the philippines if you know the right people.
>>
>>5692
>learning how to use a gun is only for cultural reasons
>>
>>5692
You are stupid.
>>
>>4831
Escrima, kali, silat, and all other Southeastern martial arts are roughly the same. They can be very practical with their weapon methodology and you can see analogues in European sword/weapon arts. Part of this is cross-pollination from the Spaniard and other empires' colonization. Another part of is parallel evolution which is sort of neat to see.

The downside is they can often have the same failings that a lot of other traditional martial arts have.

>Minimal to no sparring or unrealistic sparring
>cultural/ritualized baggage (either real or invented to make it seem more exotic to soccer moms)
>dueling focus rather than on "street" focus

There are still good schools but it depends highly on which school you end up going to. If all they do is twirly stick move drills where they barely make contact, then do a 360 and moonwalk out of there.
>>
How many sword strikes do you need to know
>>
>>6712
Learning how to use a gun is not a martial art
>>
I did balintawak arnis for a couple of years and in retrospect my feelings towards it are somewhat mixed.
Nearly all of the training I went through was basically drills to get you to respond in a particular way to certain situations. While it was good in the sense that it kind of trains your brain to react a certain way without thinking, it also meant that if someone did something a little out of the ordinary, I more than likely wouldn't have had a way to react to it, since it wasn't stored in my memory bank, or whatever you want to call it. So some of it was good, some maybe not as much. Another gripe would be that there wasn't really any full-contact sparring as a means of practice, either.
There was also no powerful striking involved, either. They taught basic punches that were meant to mimic the motions that were also used while holding weapons, so that there was a constant overlap for training and mental conditioning purposes, but none of it involved making powerful, resolute strikes. While it meant no overcommitment to a particular strike or move, it also meant that the power delivered by them was somewhat limited.
Honestly I wish I'd just done boxing, muay thai, BJJ, MMA or some shit like that.
>>
>>4831
Presumably there was a way to practice them effectively, because swords and spears were the primary ways of killing people for thousands of years. However, they seem to have degenerated into something more proximate to a dance than a combat sport.

Stick fighting might be the only exception.
>>
>>4831
looks boring
>>
>>9995
you probably havent tried it yet
>>
>>9996
it looks boring still
>>
>>5629
The biting art?
>>
>>4831
Easy to knock it off as silly but it's one of those rare MAs that is actually effective if you don't learn it in the mainstream dojos. Mainstream ones are sports focused. Don't go there. Uncle learned it when they went to train with PH army and he said he applied it several times after. The sticks are just there to show forms. They get rid of it afterwards.
>>
File: IPSC.jpg (1.42 MB, 1448x972)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
Practical shooting (IPSC/USPSA) is the best weapon-based martial art.
>>
>>5692
what is the dog brothers
>>
>>8157
>dueling focus rather than "street" focus
realfite on da streetz is a shitty awful meme and anyone that looks for martial arts with this in mind should be ridiculed as the LARPer that they are.
Any martial art that covers a portion of striking, grappling, or weapons is taught and conveyed through 1v1 drilling, coaching and sparring which can then be applied to self defence, but self defence is also largely its own thing which fighting is only a part of, alongside mindset and situational awareness.

I'm not saying that SEA martial arts are all shit, but don't make aikido with bamboo shoots and straw hats your primary goal.
>>
>>5692
>combat sport
>sport

Sorry but martial arts won't return to their true form until people have a need for it in life or death situations. I get what you're saying, though.
>>
File: doug marcaida.webm (851 KB, 480x270)
851 KB
851 KB WEBM
>>12656
I'm not saying combat sports don't work outside of the ring/cage/mat, but I totally get the kneejerk reaction since a lot of krav maga/aikido/RBSD shitters actually believe that. What I was trying to get at was more that they often train in an unrealistic manner.

In an actual knife attack, someone's probably going to bumrush you and stab the shit out of you. It's typically by surprise and before you can draw a weapon. Meanwhile many FMA places will have both guys stand with their knives out and do flowy Doug Marcaida shit from 20 paces away. In a real life self defense situation that would get you killed. In a sporting context like fencing, that would still cost you the match.
>>
>>12930
>getting killed would cost you the match

hmm, yes. I see
>>
File: peopledie.jpg (38 KB, 800x450)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>13135
>>
>>12930
You have to consider the area where it's from. PH is a country where guns amongst civilians aren't that common. A lot of people actually carries machetes and knives around. In their scenario FMA makes sense. Plus, historically speaking their sword style has been proven against the japanese. Guerillas who knew how to use this style was able to defend their areas from them.

Obviously, FMA doesn't have much use in the USA considering the high gun ownership, but it's not pointless.

Apply what you can depending on the area and situation you're in. Why the fuck is anyone gonna use FMA when it's a gunfight and why would you accept a knife vs knife challenge when you have a gun.

The problem with Doug is his flashy moves makes people think that the drill is what makes it works. He have other videos where he was honest about the real consequences of machete/knife fights though so I'll give him that. I don't have much of an opinion on him but I certainly don't appreciate his endorsement of karambit and butterfly knives. Those are just trick toys. You can use them but they're not the best for actual self defense. Even in PH.
>>
Flow drills like fma/wing chun style flow drills are best considered an proprioception and spatial training.
They should be understood as a specific kind of almost academic study and incorperated into sparring in an abstract way, not using the exact same movements - but using the ideas of force and opening that have been discovered in the intensive focus.

If it looks the same in sparring as it does in the drill, you're not using the drill correctly.
>>
>>5692
The American and Japanese soldiers have nightmares of what went down in Filipino jungles. Guns and long swords didn't matter much in the deep jungles. This style was a perfect fit with bolos and guerilla tactics. Look more into its history. This isn't a mcdojostyle, though, there are new mcdojos turning it into a fucking sport in recent years, in that case be wary before joining one.

If you see the goofy looking armors, run the other direction.
>>
>>5643
This but unironically. I used to take HEMA, and like 80 percent of it is just "have fast reactions and foster good instincts", the same way 80 percent of stick fighting with your older brother as a kid was just "follow your instincts". Technique, combos, footwork, and what-have-you are literally not as important as just reacting quickly, parrying quickly, and attacking quickly. It's all pretty much instinctual.

And when technique DOES matter? It's all just grappling and throws. You might as well learn wrestling or judo, and you'll be better than 90% of all sword fighters out there.
>>
>>13451
Lmao. You don't know what you're talking about. Then again you are a HEMA fag.
>>
>>4831
More like eskrHEMA lmao
>>
>>4831

Youre an absolute moron who prolly stopped doing HEMA because you got called out for treating it like LARP.

HEMA is complicated as shit and its made even harder because its basically mixed weapon sparring. Its not limited to being the same style like other weapons martial arts.

Ive taken up Arnis recently and its really only 30% technique and 70% learning how to swing really fast and dont stop hitting your opponent.
>>
>>4831
once these idiots get into a barfight they'll get their asses kicked because they will be confus without those lil chopsticks lmao
>>
is carrying around a balanced stick more common in SEAland? street fights in america don't tend to involve carrying weapons unless someone is trying to get lethal. i've never seen someone reach for a stick or have one on them besides grabbing a baseball bat and chasing someone off with it.
>>
File: tandem4.png (798 KB, 1600x900)
798 KB
798 KB PNG
>>14272
No. We use illegal guns.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.