[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does /sp 1.1/ like sumo?
>>
File: peakwhiteman_Baruto.jpg (40 KB, 800x536)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>39285
Every American man over the age of 34 should have a body like this
>>
File: PeakMaleBody.jpg (266 KB, 800x1000)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
yes
>>
>>39285
I feel like someday this will be huge outside of jap land.
>>
>>41814
no pun intended
>>
>>39285
Yes
>>
File: rikishi milk.jpg (132 KB, 866x1390)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>41361
Most already have a body like this.

>>41814
I feel like Japan would rather be nuked again than have Sumo co-opted by westerners.
>>
>>41989
Lmao Japan doesn't give a shit about sumo, if they cared they wouldn't have a hard time filling school clubs or taking care of their rikishi
>>
>>42309
That is an amazing amount of unwarranted assumptions for such a short sentence with three clauses. There are five that are immediately apparent, with burgeoning promise that there are more unwarranted assumptions with just a tiny bit of analysis.
Extremely efficient.
>>
File: Kangishiki.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>42389
Thank you?
>>
>>42309
Doesn't means they want stupid gaijin fucking around in it.
>>
>>
File: SHODAI DAIEISHO sumo.webm (2.99 MB, 480x270)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>
>>
>>43916
What were they whispering to each other about?
>>
>>41814
I sure hope not.
Look at what foreign interest has done to anime.
Anime is fucking dead. Sumo wouldn't be any different.
>>
>>43929
>Anime is fucking dead.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: AKUA vs ENHO sumo.webm (2.98 MB, 534x300)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>39285
Sumo is pure power i love watching vids of it
>>
based OP, I've been watching Sumo since 2017.
>>
>>
>>
>>45406
>>45413
(Early) HEISEI SOUL
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: KAISEI vs URA sumo.webm (2.98 MB, 480x270)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>
Anyone know where to watch now that mbovo is down?
>>
>>45785
he said in his discord that he'll stream here:

https://picarto.tv/dosukoi

see also the other links in the Sumo Links Pastebin:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/profile/6478-totorofuji/?tab=field_core_pfield_15
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>46428
Enho is quite something.
>>
>>42623
Hakuho's Mongolian and he's the greatest rikishi of all time.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: bl5bjb_3.png (475 KB, 584x800)
475 KB
475 KB PNG
Quoting Herouth:

>So while we are enjoying (or despairing of) sumo, the tabloids are picking some more Asanoyama smut.
>According to one of them, the reason Asanoyama came to admit his deed was not the fact that there were photos in the Bunshun article. After some details didn't look right in his story, they re-questioned him, in the presence of a lawyer, who told him "If you are as innocent as you say, let us check your smartphone". So he let them. And there was location history there that matched the locations and times mentioned in the Bunshun article. At this point he went "sorry".
>Another fun tidbit is that, on one occasion at least, the beat reporter Sponichi has assigned him went together with him to that hostess bar. Asanoyama footed most of the bill. This is now under disciplinary investigation at Sponichi.
>>
>>47084
general consensus is that the punishment will be harder than the Abi one; I bet that they'll keep it simple and just add 1 extra basho suspension to the 3 that Abi got; we have to wait June to know
>>
>>47085
Almost certainly, he was supposed to be a bit of a golden child after Takayasu/Tochinoshin collapsed and Goeido retired. Now there's this mess on his plate.
>>
anyone has chiyomaru bike webm?
>>
File: 1616497749149.webm (1.5 MB, 480x852)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB WEBM
>>47089
Chiyomaru :)
>>
>>47093
thanks
>>
File: 1619212911996.png (673 KB, 850x478)
673 KB
673 KB PNG
>>47095
>>
Sumo is not an extreme sport. Where did the real sumo thread go?
>>
>>47109
It's too slow between basho for /sp/
>>
File: 1619427350528.jpg (58 KB, 600x423)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>
File: videoplayback (1).webm (746 KB, 640x360)
746 KB
746 KB WEBM
>>
File: 1621593667442.webm (703 KB, 973x720)
703 KB
703 KB WEBM
*downloads your brand of sumo*
>>
File: 1619867944824.jpg (153 KB, 608x640)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
I don't care what people say, I hope Takakeisho realizes his dream (of Yokozuna that is).
>>
File: Hirohito-1982.jpg (292 KB, 1230x1600)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
The next yokozuna will be Japanese.
>>
>>47124
not a chance
>>
>>46619
Hakuho is Japanese.
>>
>>47109
>Sumo is not an extreme sport

one of them died a few weeks ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_in_sumo#Deaths
>>
>>47138
So? People die power walking. That doesn't make it XTREME, you low IQ faggot.
>>
>>47139
>People die power walking
By breaking their fucking neck? I don't think so
>>
File: 1620891748230.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>47139
It's basically judo except:
1. You're either obese or morbidly obese
2. There are no weight classes. Manlets get to fight people twice their weight.
3. You fight on hard clay instead of the mat.
4. The clay is raised 60 centimeters for no reason other than to make you fall when you lose. There are no mats outside either. Only judges and other wrestlers intentionally placed as close to the ring as possible so that you could collide with them on your way out.
5. There is a rock-hard rope around the ring that trips you on your way out.
6. You are allowed to hit your opponents with your palm and trip them.
7. You are expected to perform 90 matches a year. Missing any of them for any reason, including injuries, counts as a loss.
8. You are not allowed to live in your own house or have social media.
9. You are expected to perform a myriad of rituals before and after the matches. Performing them poorly nets you a punishment.
10. There is a judge running around the ring and literally screaming at you and your opponent every second of the match even (especially) when nothing is happening.
11. You get to live 20-25 years less than an average person.

On what fucking planet would that not be considered extreme?
>>
>>47124
The next 3 yokozuna will be mongolians, then the JSA will implode from the seeth
>>
>>47151
Sumo is the NASCAR of combat sports
>>
who's ready for another decade of mongolians dominating Japan's national sport?
>>
>>47172
>>
>>47151
>You are not allowed to live in your own house
you can do that if you're goid enough and make enough money
>>
>>47161
the JSA is must be SEETHING right now.
>Teru might make it to Yokozuna
>Hoshoryu sooner or later will buff his body and rape everyone in makuuchi
>Hokuseiho is back on track and rising on the ladder
get ready for another 10 years of BIG MONGOLIAN COCK
>>
>>43940
>>43929
anime quality is dead,every single anime nowadays has a shitty animation and its based on some random light novel they found out to be slightly popular, but it will never die due to the uprise in popularity of anime culture in the west thanks to all the retardation from social media and the fetishization of korean and japanese culture. Every single zoomer is a mindless anime consoomer nowadays and jacks off to cosplayers whores.
There was a time when watching anime was social suicide, not anymore. The Japs are starting to realize the potential to milk western customers and soon they will start to export officially all their content to the west.
>>
File: 43662-700x340.jpg (74 KB, 700x340)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>47151
>judges intentionally placed as close to the ring as possible
It was significantly funnier when the judges were placed *in* the ring
>>
Do you have to be fat to do sumo? Like I sit in the rules that you have to be extremely fat?
Hypothetically could an extremely strong huge muscular guy enter and dominate everyone?
>>
>>47212
you do realize the rikishi are actually incredibly muscular in addition to being fat right?
the reason theyre so fat is because the extra weight gives more inertia to their charge
>>
File: 1615896662387.jpg (182 KB, 1080x1080)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>47212
>>
File: 1596867302163.png (131 KB, 848x500)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>47212
The reason they start to put on fat is because they have as much muscle as their body can physically develop. Studies were done by Japanese sports scientists and found a lot of them have muscle masses close to the maximum. So they put on fat to obtain more mass beyond that. Often their body fat is a lot lower than you'd expect because it's all over top of the muscle and they have little fat around their organs and such like other athletes (unlike fat people). You can see their VO2 max is above the average person too but not as high as some athletes obviously.
>>
>>47218
>found a lot of them have muscle masses close to the maximum
its from roids
>VO2 max
not takakeisho for sure
>>
These men are killing their hairlines with their hair pulled back like that
I'm sure it's because of some dumb "tradition" or whatever but some things should be left in the past
>>
>>47226
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>47236
>noooo you can't just insult muh tradition
Some sumo died a few weeks ago because they didn't have medics on standby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDQjyYWukk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lC1fXdaOMM
I've heard of other stupid shit too like them not letting women paramedics into the ring to help someone because the ring is "sacred" or whatever
>>
>>47244
>because they didn't have medics on standby
No, he died because he broke his neck. More than a month after he broke his neck. From an acute respiratory infection, which came as a complication from his lengthy hospital stay, while he was recovering and after he regained movement. Which had nothing to do with the speed of medical assistance.

At any rate, regardless, the medical protocol has already been changed. In the tournament held following his death, stretchers were open and available in about fifteen seconds. In the past 121 years of sumo (I have not checked references any further back), there exists no record of even one rikishi before Hibikiryuu dying as a result of injuries sustained in the ring.

>not letting women paramedics into the ring to help someone
A lone junior ringside assistant (read: 16 year old) thought that the rule mattered even in the case of a medical emergency and yelled at the women. He was chastised by every senior-ranked person in the building and later compelled to undergo reeducation.
>>
>>47245
not the retard youre arguing with but id like to see source on the ringside assistant getting BTFO since i had only heard people talking about the no women in the ring rule
>>
File: vvv.png (78 KB, 1488x379)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>47246
>>
>>47248
>2018
so why were fucking mongs saying this shit for hibikiryu's case?
>>
>>47250
I haven't heard anyone complaining about women not being allowed in for the Hibikiryu case, sounds like people conflating incidents. The big problem is not having qualified medical staff nearby like most sports do. Look at what happened with the collision in the NHL, they had a doctor right away to come on the ice. That's what they need. Someone to come, immobilize his neck, get him on the stretcher, etc. However, I don't think their delay changed the outcome in Hibikiryu's case. But in other cases they could have messed up.
>>
>>47251
rolling hibikiryu over without stabilizing his neck actually hurt to watch
if he wasnt fucked before he certainly is now
>>
>>47252
Well, yeah it's a bad move, and that's why they need proper supervision, but in this case I don't think it contributed to his death.
>>
>>47209
t. zoomer
we get it billy you’re not like the other guys you’re cool and old fashioned
>>
>>47211
Man I wish they bring that back so those shitfucks could catch a 400lb force foot to the nut sack
>>
>>47205
>Terunofuji's naked knees
l-lewd...
>>
>>47209
>shitty animation
If you are referring to 3DCG shit, sure.
Otherwise, I disagree.
>based on some random light novel they found out to be slightly popular
Those are still the decent shows tbph.
The crap I was talking about is the shit Netflix and China pay for.
>Every single zoomer is a mindless anime consoomer nowadays and jacks off to cosplayers whores.
>There was a time when watching anime was social suicide, not anymore.
What kind of world are you living in IRL? Not quite sure, if it's the Fox or the CNN bubble, but you'd do good by popping it.
>>
>>47212
You don't but being at least relatively fat gives you too many advantages.
>stronger push
>harder to pick you up
>harder to reach over and grab the belt

Here's one of the more extreme examples of thin wrestlers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1goAMZfS8

and here's a couple of examples of why you might want to weigh a lot in this sport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-eUjbr9h7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKwWx0D9cZc
>>
>>47283
CG can look really fucking good, just look at videogames, in this day 3D animation has no fucking excuse when looking lifeless and shit
>>
>>47285
3DCG is very okay in vidya - no opposition there -, but it seriously doesn't belong in an anime's character animation.
Anime is dead either way, though, so it's a moot point.
>>
/xs/ - anime and video game discussion
>>
>>47284
Interesting, thanks
>>
>>47284
Don't forget lower centre of gravity.
>>
>>
>>47319
Thanks, that was a brilliant bout.
>>
>>
>>
>>47319
Ishiura is fun to watch when he doesnt henka his opponent
>>
>>47271
whatever you want to believe zoomer faggot
>>47283
if you think that mindset comes from news channel brainwash you are fucking retarded, clearly you havent met anyone under 20. American retard.
>>
>>47226
>dumb "tradition"
to help wearing samurai helmets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chonmage
>>
>>47205
The JSA doesn't care because they're all ex-wrestlers and there are plenty of foreigners, including Mongolians. They care more about revenue, which means having yokozuna on top that will be top draws for fans and sponsors. They'll only seethe about Teru if he ends up with a weak yokozuna reign. The YDC might seethe, but their hand has to be forced if Teru wins in July.
>>
>>47386
At this point, people should known to not use JSA and YDC interchangeably.
>>
>>47122
i lold ty
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IKVaveIuk
>>
>>
>>
>>47462
Takakeisho is pretty good at dodging.
>>
Replying to >>>/sp/108607080, the lowest mathematically possible number of kachi-koshi in the top division is three: 39 losers at 7-8, two 15-0 scores and one guy at 12-3 (or 15-0, 14-1 and 13-2 if you prefer).
>>
it's 6am in Japan
promotions to Juryo should be announced this morning
they'll also update the list of recent retirements here:

http://sumo.or.jp/ResultRikishiData/intai_rikishi/

highlights will be up later, or tomorrow:

http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoTopicsKoTorikumi15/wrap/
>>
https://youtu.be/UO-CVQ0Yp8Y
Have some pain
>>
Well, tough luck Ryuden
>>
>>47863
He's lucky if he doesn't have to retire.
>>
>>47209
its okay that you don't watch anime you don't have to make stupid excuses why.
>>
>>47113
I need to see the picture he took
>>
Who is more likely to make it back to ozeki at this point Asanoyama or Takayasu?
>>
>>47870
Takayasu probably won't manage 13 wins next basho, but given we don't know Asanoyama's punishment yet I'd have to put my money on Takayasu.
>>
>>47870
Asanoyama's younger and the break will let him heal and retrain so he can go charging up the table again when he's back. Takayasu seems to have stalled; a consistent 10 wins is strong but not strong enough for ozeki.
>>
>>47872
Yeah I don't think next basho will be it but if he can stay competitive with the likes of terunofuji i think it's possible
>>47873
Fair fair. Was Asanoyama hurt? Hopefully the break will be good for him and he will be able to rise out of the lower ranks quite quick like abi
>>
>>47874
>Was Asanoyama hurt?
Nobody in sumo is not hurt, wear and tear fucks the body and they only drop out if it's impossible to wrestle anymore. Letting that wear and tear heal for 6+ months will be great for his future performance.
>>
File: 1602989086010.jpg (64 KB, 600x450)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>47873
Yeah, Takayasu is pretty much the perfect Sekiwake, a fairly decent rikishi to stand in people's way. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
Does Ura have a chance to get into the sanyaku ranks or will his knees not be able to sustain?
>>
>>47923
i don't think he is that good, and he's already older as it is
>>
I'm always surprised that Ichinojo and I are the same age. Dude looks like he's 40.
>>
>>47923
He very well could. He has the stuff.
>>
File: sumo knee break.webm (2.93 MB, 640x360)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>47688
yikes
>>
>>
>>
>>
I caught the bug guys. I just saw some videos of this 1.68m tall midget throw around guys that are much bigger than him. How could one become as strong as that guy? I do weight training and aerobic exercises but I want to be able to manhandle people. What strength training do you suggest?
>>
>>48266
If it's a small guy throwing around a larger guy, then it's a matter of using the opponent's own size and momentum against them. Take wrestling courses, especially judo.
>>
>>48269
>Take wrestling courses, especially judo
I am seriously considering Judo. Though the only wrestling club close to my house is bjj...so I am bummed out.
>>
>>48270
Yeah that won't work out since I think it specifically avoids throws. Mostly ground fighting.
>>
>>48266
>What strength training do you suggest
No strength program will help you if you don't have technique.
>>48270
judo is the best option. greco maybe
>>
>>48302
Thats what I thought desu
>>48319
Judo seems to be the closest it seems. I ve seen some sumo do judo throws, do they specifically train in judo or is it just part of their usual training?
>>
>>48352
A lot of sumo throws are by nature the same as a lot of judo throws so they train it even if they don't specifically train judo. Some salaried wrestlers do specifically train judo, and many also come from a strong judo background.
It's similar with the Mongolians, who have their own folk wrestling that most Mongolians in sumo have a background in.
>>
File: Enho vs Akua sumo.webm (2.95 MB, 1280x720)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>>48266
>>48270
>>48352
The guy you're talking about is most likely Enho. He had a lot of success in the top division because of his technique and athleticism, but he hit a wall once the bigger/stronger guys got used to his tricks. While you won't be able to throw anybody without technical training like the other anons are saying, make sure you don't neglect strength training either. Here's a video of Shohei Ono (one of the best judoka on the planet right now) training.

https://youtu.be/K_0RQSuZ1VA

In terms of martial arts, Mongolian wrestling is the closest to sumo (which is why Mongolians do so well in sumo), but it's virtually impossible to find outside of Mongolia. Judo would be best in terms of availability and has many similar techniques as sumo. Greco-roman wrestling and sambo would also be good, but harder to find.

I wouldn't knock the BJJ club either until you check it out. While many BJJ schools in general tend to neglect standup wrestling and throws, the school near you might be one of the good ones that do practice them.

>I ve seen some sumo do judo throws, do they specifically train in judo or is it just part of their usual training?
Part of their usual training, though it's not uncommon for wrestlers who originally did judo when they were young to transition to sumo.

Judo was developed from Japanese jiujitsu, which itself was influenced by sumo. It's not a direct lineage, but there are moves that are pretty clear analogues, with the only difference being the grips involved.
>>
>>48367
>While many BJJ schools in general tend to neglect standup wrestling and throws, the school near you might be one of the good ones that do practice them.
This is very true, since BJJ is popular in MMA a lot of places will incorporate other martial arts as well. So likely someone there might know judo throws and other stuff and you could still pick them up.
>>
>>48370
bjj doesn't exist.
it has faded into obscurity much faster than martial arts of the past.
Now what remains is just a generic term for groundfighting eclecticism.
>>
>>48376
Still, if it's your only option I'd go check it out. See what people there are doing and know.
>>
>>48367
Yeah I was thinking specifically of Enho when I made that post.
>make sure you don't neglect strength training either
I do strength training. I am thinking of incorporating isometric wall pushes (simulating what sumo do basically) to increase core and leg strength for that specific movement
>While many BJJ schools in general tend to neglect standup wrestling and throws, the school near you might be one of the good ones that do practice them
True, I will give them a visit then to see what's up
>Judo was developed from Japanese jiujitsu
JJJ might be the final redpill as far as japanese grappling goes. I have a friend who practiced it when he was younger and he s a beast, he knows how to snap elbows and everything (he did it one time in a club kek)
>>
File: Hakuho vs Enho sumo.webm (2.96 MB, 590x326)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB WEBM
>>
>>48422
hah nice, i was rooting for tiny
>>
>>48367
Wtf, how kind of retarded strength does one need to have to pick up a whale from such a compromising position.
>>
>>48451
For both that and that one time Enho beat Abi, he caught them while they were trying to shift momentum, resulting in them being lighter and easier to lift than normal. For Akua specifically, his left hand is actually grabbing Enho's hair giving a third point of contact for leverage, while his right hand is actually pressing down on Enho's back, and between that and Akua trying to shift he simply isn't rooted and stable at all. With a belt grip and the other hand on Akua's leg, it's a lot easier than the weight difference would have you believe.
>>
>>48455
Damn thank you for the in depth breakdown. So it was a mix of good technique and luck if I understood correctly? Still fun to watch
>>
>>48463
Luck will always play into it, but you need the strength and technique to take advantage of the chances you get.
>>
>>48367
>>
>>48406
>I am thinking of incorporating isometric wall pushes
This is dumb. just do normal strength training, and add in like Zercher carries, prower pushes, and other things like that. strongman has a good amount of events that would be beneficial to look through.
there are videos of terunofuji doing powerlifting and enho doing sand bag carries in a squat walk.
>>
File: E2jvsXXUUAIBCpn.jpg orig.jpg (420 KB, 1536x2048)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
yobidashi must be the comfiest job ever
>>
>>48671
Top level only makes 400,000 JPY a month though.
>>
>>48681
That's very decent money for a blue-collar job that you only have to perform for a couple of weeks every two months + howefer long it takes to make a new dohyo and dismantle the old one.
>>
>>48686
That's just the top rank though, most make a lot less.
>>
>>48687
I mean, it could be half of that and still be enough given the number of workdays.
>>
>>48688
Still it's not as great as it seems. You start out at 20,000 or so JPY but that's as a teenager, and 20 years later you're still not even making 200,000. Maybe you might get to 400,000 by the time you're 60.
>>
>>48689
Yeah, that's a blue-collar job for you.
>>
>>48690
Guess pay is pretty low in Japan then. More junior ones usually live at their stable though, so they wouldn't have other expenses.
>>
>>48691
A lot of sumo-related professions, including being a rikishi, are culturally perceived as means of providing a place in society for underprivileged people. Many of those guys come from poor families or are orphans. Keep that in mind and the fact that they don't put nearly as many hours into being yobidashis compared to a regular wagie and the fact that they can easily combine it with other side-jobs and all the benefits that come from being involved with sumo.

But, yeah, japanese salaries aren't actually much higher compared to the US ones.
>>
>>48646
>Zercher carries
Based, will incorporate
>prower pushes
I am working out at home, son prowler. Thats why I saw wsll pudhes as a good alternative.
>>
>>48693
*so no prowler
>>
>>
>>48697
Me on the hanamichi
>>
>>48681
>>48689
>>48692
thats not all the money they make. thats just base salary. most of the money they make is from other places.
https://youtu.be/JbgN_jTrK_Q
https://youtu.be/hyBIWmB9UqQ
>>48693
>>48694
push a car then? i just can't see the point of wall pushes
>>
>>48727
We're talking about yobidashi. They don't get all the extras.
>>
>>48729
missed that.
>>
>>48731
That's fine. Interestingly some gyoji have supporters clubs and get perks too.
>>
>>48733
i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of kickback to the top yobidashi from somewhere. similar to the other unlisted things other positions get. significantly less obviously
>>
File: Byamba sumo slam.webm (2.87 MB, 1280x720)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
>>
>>48735
>sumo world champion
>didn't even make juryo
>>
>>48721
Did your strangury suddenly disappear, or what happened there?
>>
>>43940
bro he watched cowboy bebop AND akira, he's basically an expert
>>
>>48734
getting them baller as fuck tassels and kicks
>>
>>47133
Mongoloid
>>
>>48738
virgin makushita
>destroy your body and health to potentially make it to the salaried divisions

chad sumo world champion
>beat up scrubs and get tons of endorsements, commercials, and TV/movie roles
>>
>>48422
>i was rooting for
rooting in a staged bout?
it wasn't a regular tournament
ok, there is a prize money in the end, but 90% of the bouts looked like practice/exhibition
>>
>>49137
Not treating it with the serious of a honbasho =/= STAGED PSYOPS
>>
A new Chris dropped today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfL5TNY9c0
>>
>>49189
Careful with that anon, we aren't allowed to post Chris anymore because some sumo forum posts 10 he made years ago assblasted the usual subhumans of /sp/ so badly that they collectively burst into treats at the mention of his mighty Anglo name.
>>
New Chris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEyMRdrQYWQ&ab_channel=ChrisSumo
>>
ANOTHER new Chris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4VryLwSx0&ab_channel=ChrisSumo
>>
>>49190
>burst into treats
There's a blast from the past
>>
New Chris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQhO68kbA8&ab_channel=ChrisSumo
>>
>>39285
So, if I understand it correctly, when an ozeki beats a yokozuna, he gets a gold star victory. What happens when a rank below ozeki defeats a yokozuna? Say a maegashira defeats a yokozuna. Is it just a gold star victory or something more? IIRC, Takakeisho in 2018 was not an ozeki but he went on a tear and got yusho, beating at least one yokozuna and several ozeki. Is there special recognition for this? Pic unrelated.
>>
>>49683
You have it backward, it's a gold star when a maegashira beats a yokozuna.
>>
>>49686
Ah shit, thanks. Figured I was off.
>>
>>49703

there is also a silver star when a maegashira beats an ozeki, but this is unofficial and probably no one keeps the records for if; still you can find it in the glossary:

http://www.sumoforum.net/glossary.html#ginboshi
>>
>>49776
If it's an informal designation it probably doesn't affect their mochikyukin. A kinboshi confers a permanent 240,000 yen a year (for 6 tournaments and the current multiplier) payment for each one you get (Ichinojo currently has the most I think?).
>>
>>49778
>If it's an informal designation it probably doesn't affect their mochikyukin
Correct.
>>
Anyone got footage from the previous basho with a guy doing an insane amount of tsuppari only for it all to be parried? I think it was in juryo but I can't remember who it was.
>>
>>39285
I feel like there's a massive lack of martial art content on this site. I know it's not the board but I would love to contribute to a torrent of organized sumo fights, going back to the first broadcasts in the 50s, because finding these things is hard. We could do a folder for every year and populate each yusho and others. Maybe add some folders for best examples of techniques or wrestlers. Maybe duplicate it on archive.org. At the very least we need to make this pastebin better:

https://pastebin.com/hsNuJxYu
>>
>>49859
>know it's not the board but I would love to contribute to a torrent of organized sumo fights, going back to the first broadcasts in the 50s, because finding these things is hard. We could do a folder for every year and populate each yusho and others
im guessing these will all be on youtube?
>>
>>49901
Yeah I guess so, but idk about the older ones. Might have to dig on archival sites or Japanese domains. Anyhow it would be a lot of work to find every single bimonthly basho, every 15 days, for the last 60+ years... And ideally the best quality for each one. There are a lot of playlists on YT but sometimes the videos get deleted or banned in certain countries, and the organization is shit. NHK themselves only hosts last basho's highlights until the 7th of the next month, which is ridiculous.
>>
>>49904
maybe we can start with all of hakuho's bouts. but yes, lack of an archive is really disappointing
>>
What are the NHK's archives like? Do they just have tapes of every basho going back and film reels for earlier? Were they never published on DVD or anything like that for the public?
>>
Grand Sumo app has all the makuuchi matches all the way back to 2010 in case some hacker autist can figure out a way of extracting them.
>>
>>49923
Juryo too.
>>
>>49915
>Were they never published on DVD or anything like that for the public?
>>
File: xjjxxn.png (1.33 MB, 990x1133)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>49914
>>49923
I'm gonna start by compiling all of Hakuho's bouts into a torrent backed on archive.org. I'll try to find the full Bashos as well as cuts of just his bouts, which I know fans put together on YT. I'll share any data links I find. Anon suggested just Hakuho and that's smart. If it's feasible, I'll do Chiyonofuji next because he's my favorite. It'll take some weeks for sure but I'll be around.
>>
>>49947
You can try setting up discord or something, for people who might want to help you out with that. Would also be smart to start tagging downloaded videos off the bat with things like date, rikishi ranks, gyoji, kimarite etc.
>>
>>49947
sumodb has a bunch of YouTube links to matches, but you'll have to scrawl through them manually and prune the ones that have gotten taken down.
>>
>>49949
If some of you are willing, I'll put a Discord up later. It would be great to start a small community of data archivists for martial arts, starting with sumo. Yeah, we need a metadata format. Aside from editing the video's actual metadata, a common filename format will be necessary.

>>49950
Thanks bruv. Another source to check. I'm a software guy by trade so a lot of this crap I can just crawl if it's beyond manual work.
>>
File: Umegatani II c. 1907.jpg (53 KB, 539x640)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>49904
>>49951
There are barely even easily accessible recordings of basho as recent as 2010. I think you'll need to hit up a guide to the Japanese pirating scene just to discover if pre-2010 basho have ever been uploaded online in their entirety. If not, you may be looking at years of haggling with 60-year-old otaku over Betamax tapes. An admirable undertaking, should you choose to accept it.
>>
Post your predictions how fast Hakuho will announce his retirement once he has done the
yokozuna dohyo-iri for the Olympics
>>
>>50001
Everything semi-relevant is already on youtube and nico.

Also there's a bunch of ancient makuuchi footage hidden behind the membership paywall on the official sumo kyokai channel.
>>
File: 1422946395667.jpg (114 KB, 691x953)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>50001
Yep absolutely. I'll be compiling what sources I find, building up my local copy and I'll lurk in the JAV coomer threads on /t/ (pray for me) for tips and advice. As for downloading, most likely I'll write some extension of youtube-dl which is a pretty good command line interface for downloading videos from websites, probably use a batch file or two. Or Jdownloader, that program is dope.

I will start with all of Hakuho as a sort of "depth-first" search, just seeing if it's feasible to compile it all. Then we will see about the breadth and depth, trying to get all Bashos ever. That will require many autists working together. I'll post in a sumo thread at some point with more links, surely. In the meantime, keep posting cool webms and suggestions, hopefully we have some Japanons here with data sources.
>>
File: Hakuho-wins-final-new.jpg (342 KB, 1600x1051)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>50006
>Also there's a bunch of ancient makuuchi footage hidden behind the membership paywall on the official sumo kyokai channel.

>>49923
>Grand Sumo app has all the makuuchi matches all the way back to 2010 in case some hacker autist can figure out a way of extracting them.

See it's little nuggets like these that are important. If every anon could post one of these random sources, and one among them is autistic enough to sit down and sort it all, we'd have it freely available and well organized... Which is the goal.
>>
>>41361
Is that Marlon Brando?
>>
>>50003
same day
>>
>>50071
nah, all the attention will be on the Olympics, not on him
he'll announce it on a quiet day a couple of weeks after the Olympics
>>
>>49923
If they were freely accessible, I could have seen myself doing that, but they are asking for a paid subscription.
In which case: What the fuck is that "near real-time" supposed to mean? Stream it real-time! This is 2021 for fuck's sake.
>>
>Hey, guys, I've got a dream and it's archive every single piece of ozumo footage there is!
>But I am not going to do it myself.
>Also two single-time $5 subscriptions to access and download the lion share of the matches is too much.

Ah, business as usual I see.
>>
>>50135
Well done anon, you've exposed hypocrisy in the 4chan sumo fandom once more. Here's your medal, wear it with pride.
>>
File: yep (1).png (150 KB, 795x1126)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>49949
>>49914
>>50001
Hello anons. I made some progress on compiling all of Hakuho's bouts (pic related). I scraped his Wikipedia page and got all the info for building a folder structure. My code can be used for any wrestler with a Wikipedia page (I tried Chiyonofuji and it worked the same). So creating a folder structure and saving metadata is now trivial. Each folder name has, at least: year, month, basho name, basho city, rikishi division and number, number of wins/losses/absences, and if it was a playoff or not. Now just need to find the videos to match the folders. Let me know if I should add more, the code is simple and takes milliseconds to re-run. If I could scrape that godforsaken paywall shithole of an app for Grand Sumo, the metadata would be able to include things like winning technique, referee name, etc.
>>
File: videos links.png (52 KB, 693x566)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>50179
just put links to videos in the sumoDB like a normal person ffs
>>
>>50184
Sumodb is a decent resource but I'm looking for persistence... I like to have shit saved locally. YT is a shit website and things get deleted regularly, so I bet half the links on sumodb are dead. My intent is to make a torrent backed on archive.org. Normal or not, it's what I'm doing. In the end you can either torrent and spread or just download a fatass zip file off archive.org.
>>
>>50184
Also, what you sent has interested me. I think it would be cool to align with sumodb. I can probably crawl that site too and, at the very least, match up my folder structure with their URLs, so all their data can be opened with a click. I gotta check their source code more. Thanks for replying.
>>
>>50179
You should set up a torrent or something.
>>
>>50179
godspeed anon
>>
>>47328
holy shit what a good match
>>
>>50185
Indeed, the vast majority of sumodb video links are defunct. But what are you planning to do to acquire the videos? Are you taking what you can get, ripping youtube uploads? If so, Kinta is an easy source for the last decade of sumo, minus one or two basho.
>>
>>50179
Set up a public discord and let's talk over the details about tagging, public listings of all the missing matches and means of sharing of all that stuff.
>>
>>50283
Yes. I can use the metadata from my Wikipedia scrapes and, when I do it, the metadata from SumoDB (assuming sumodb has a good URL structure), to align the two, from which I can then use the titles (since I just need year and month) of Kintamayama or Nattosumo videos to rip what is missing from SumoDB. Past this I'll probably have to investigate to Japanese Torrenting world... I guarantee some Japanese have put together a torrent of this stuff, they love sumo.

>>50284
Okay will do. I'll post a link tonight.
>>
File: 1605436354983.jpg (152 KB, 1029x608)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>50307
Are you taking broadcast language into consideration? Because Kinta flipped to the English commentary on his vids in I think 2018.

Here's a channel you probably wouldn't find that has a random assortment of individual matches.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVegGSapr0iZeLsSEqz8XVQ/videos

And here's a channel with a fair amount of early-00s basho days (with English commentary), but very unpleasantly edited, + a large mishmash of individual old matches.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SumoParis/videos

To be clear: you're not looking for all divisions, are you? Just makuuchi and maybe juryo, right?
>>
>>50411
Yeah as far as language I don't really care. Just having footage is enough for me, and I doubt anything before 2000 has English commentary. Ideally, if both Japanese and English can be found, that would be great.

As stated earlier, right now we are focusing on Hakuho alone. If it is possible, I'd like to have footage of all his matches, as far back as Maezumo even. But yes, in the end, if we can get all honbashos ever, I don't anticipate going below Juryo.
>>
>>49914
>>49949
>>50001
>>50191
>>50192
>>50284
Discord link down below for anyone who is interested in compiling sumo bouts or just helping share links to sumo matches. We're starting with compiling all of Hakuho into a Torrent backed on archive.org. Folder structure has been programatically generated. Now looking to download videos. Sumodb and several YT channels will be the main source.

GZ6Uy6sm
>>
>>50446
discord is for retards, talk about it here
>>
>>50553
Yeah I agree. But all my shit is organized there now, including what links you anons have sent. Join if you'd like. It's temporary, I hate discord.
>>
>>
>>
>>50600
epic
>>
>>43916
yoo wait who on that. that was intense
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPz7HQ3FDTg
>>
>>
Asa decision today?
>>
>>50987
I love this hairy bastard like you wouldn't believe
>>
>>51011
i really miss rikishi social media...
>>
Takayasu could hypothetically get ozeki again with 13 wins, but that would be his best performance in his career. His previous promotion came after 11/12/11.

And in the absolutely unrealistic and laughtrack worthy scenario that Mitakeumi gets a fucking zensho, that would also be enough for a promotion.
>>
File: 1616195220795.jpg (72 KB, 589x900)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>51120
He's ready for promotion.
>>
>>39285
Do they have sex looking like that?
>>
File: 1595476645374.jpg (51 KB, 600x672)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>51126
yes
>>
>>51123
>mita
>ozeki
hes due for a demotion
>>
Asanoyama intends to retire? I thought his punishment was just supposed to be suspension. Is this just for show?
>>
File: 91 (2).jpg (76 KB, 800x529)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>51191
He has submitted his retirement papers, but the NSK is under no obligation to accept them. They didn't for Abi, but this is an entirely different deal with Asanoyama being an oozeki. In theory, maybe it could be a formality they demanded in exchange for letting him stay, but that's doubtful. We should find out the answer shortly. I personally expect that Kinta's prediction was right and that they told him he would have to make a comeback from Sandanme or Jonidan, and he balked.
>>
>>51193
Damn, I didn't think he was a great ozeki, but I didn't want to lose him entirely. But if it is as you say and he doesn't have the will to fight back then it's for the best. I just hope it's his decision is all and not forced on him.
>>
>>51191
They take your retirement papers as means of precaution and can randomly "accept" them months later if you fuck up again.
>>
One year suspension. Barring any more covid cancellations that's six tournaments, so he'll likely end up lower than where Abi ended up. In addition to a 50% salary cut, this means he'll also be completely unsalaried from February until he gets repromoted.
>>
This is a rare time where Chris is actually a good resource since he's pointing out how this is tying into last year's botched Takasago handover, and how pretty much everyone but Asanoyama is benefiting from Asanoyama's stupidity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4dKMMghGbo&t=70s
>>
>>51237
Yeah, I'm kind of tired of pretending that Chris sucks. I watch every one of his videos and haven't been pissed off at any of them for months.
>>
updated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_in_sumo#June
>>
>>51227
Holy fucking shit.
>>
I think it's amusing some people seem to be expecting Asanoyama to get back to ozeki, they sure have a lot of confidence in him. He wasn't even that good of an ozeki. I think he'll make it to the top division but probably just be mid level for the rest of his career. If he does get back to ozeki though I'll be happy, it'd be a good thing to see. I don't think he has the determination for it though.
>>
>>51319
I'd say 12/10/injured/11/10 was pretty good ozeki performance before he shot himself in the foot. On the other hand, he barely squeezed in the first time and they'll be less lenient on him the second time. On the other other hand, from a performance standpoint he's basically getting a year to heal and train with no worries about matches or other distractions, and then spend another year perfecting his techniques beating up lesser competition before he finally gets back to maegashira, let alone sanyaku, and the only top-level threats will be yokozuna Terunofuji with busted knees, Takakeisho, Shodai who has actually been bad at ozeki, and maybe an old Takayasu if he can get back.
>>
>>51321
I know he's capable of it. I'm just not convinced he has the drive to do it. If he dedicates himself and trains hard and heals well then by all means he'll make a good comeback. I'm just skeptical. Like I said though, I hope he proves me wrong. I like to see strong contenders.
>>
>>51319
>they sure have a lot of confidence in him. He wasn't even that good of an ozeki.
He made ten or more wins in every tournament he finished since September 2019. he will make it back if he doesn't get injured
>>51322
>I'm just not convinced he has the drive to do it.
money.
>>
>>51126
Endo is a sex symbol in Japan
>>
What day does the banzuke get released?
>>
>>51689
Generally about two weeks before the tournament starts.
>>
>>51690
So in about a week then.
>>
>>
>>39285
yes
>>
Who's going to be O1e? Takakeisho?
>>
>>52000
Teru is guaranteed it
>>
>>52000
I was about to say yes until I remembered Teru isn't actually yokozuna yet.
>>
>>51689
June 21

https://sumo.or.jp/EnTicket/year_schedule
>>
>>52022
>>52000
debatable

banzuke prediction by BBM-Japan:

https://www.bbm-japan.com/article/detail/19305
>>
>>52048
Happy to see Wakatakakage at sanyaku, but he's missed out on racking up the kinboshi. Now he can't get one.
>>
>>52048
What do you mean debatable? Their prediction is Terunofuji at O1e, and that's how the Y-D situation is resolved since 1997
>>
File: 12.png (23 KB, 449x349)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>52076
there is no precedent of an O2 with 12 wins + Y being promoted over other ozeki at O1 with strong records
>>
>>52077
I don't quite follow what's the pic is supposed to convey.

The question is, who takes the O1e slot when we have 2 ozeki with identical 12-3 records, one with yusho and the other with a playoff loss.

The answer is the one who won the yusho, as per the rules: 同地位で優勝決定戦を行った場合、優勝者を上位とする.

It works the same way with yokozuna:

2001.01: Y2e Takanohana (next basho -> Ye) defeats Y1w Musashimaru (-> Yw) at 14-1
2002.01: O2w Tochiazuma (-> O1e) defeats O2e Chiyotaikai (-> O1w) at 13-2
2009.01: Yw Asashoryu (-> Ye) defeats Ye Hakuho (-> Yw) at 14-1
2009.09: Yw Asashoryu (-> Ye) defeats Ye Hakuho (-> Yw) at 14-1
>>
>>52081
I think that an O2 with only 12 wins can't pass an O1 if the O1 has a strong record and a promotion for him is available (to O1e); 13 or 14 wins are different stories, especially if those few losses are to Y or to other O; Teru won the basho with no yoko around, and has two losses to M4 and M8
>>
>>52096
Re-read >>52081
>同地位で優勝決定戦を行った場合、優勝者を上位とする.
>"In the case of a winner-takes-all match, the winner shall be the highest ranked player."
Teru will get O1e by virtue of being the yusho winner, having beaten Takakeisho in the playoff.
>>
>>52116
>being the yusho winner
I don't get why this is hard to understand.
>>
File: Tenryu_Saburo.jpg (33 KB, 242x400)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>52146
Sometimes it can be difficult mentally reconciling that, despite almost everything in sumo being based on feelings, there are occasionally actual written rules.
>>
>>52149
fair point. one thing thats plainly obvious is that the winning advances positions. this happened all the time with the yokozuna.
I could understand this question of Oe if the situation was the same, but terunofuji was going from sekiwake to ozeki and there were no other ozeki but takakeisho.
does the new ozeki come in at the lowest rank ozeki, or would he get evaluated for ranking after promotion with his last record tacked on?
>>
>>52152
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=s&form2_rank=o1e&offset=50

Happens, but these seem to be mostly exceptional occurrences.
>>
48 hours to the new banzuke
>>
File: mitakeumi.png (763 KB, 616x800)
763 KB
763 KB PNG
>>52623
>>
>>52661
Mitakeumi looks like a generic old ugly bastard in hentai.
>>
>>
File: banzuke_640.jpg (465 KB, 640x1839)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
Akiseyama enters the top 8 in the popularity poll

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/election/
>>
>>52680
He's a komusubi in our hearts.
>>
NSK video about Ura yusho in Juryo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8051MOkE90Q

>>47610
highlights on the official website will be deleted tomorrow
but there are several on the yt channel too:

https://www.youtube.com/c/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E7%9B%B8%E6%92%B2%E5%8D%94%E4%BC%9A%E5%85%AC%E5%BC%8F%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8D%E3%83%AB/videos

original video source with clean audio, which is a huge bonus
>>
>>48735
Those two guys in the audience on the right are absolutely loving this lmao.
>>
>>52680
THEY ALL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME LMFAO
>>
https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo
classics
>>
>>52819
Wish it were a real time replay. It's weird watching just the actual fighting itself.
>>
Good ol Kaio. The eternal ozeki.
>>
There is a good channel on it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonsinJapan
>>
The banzuke is out.
>>
J7 for Akiseyama...
>>
>>52976
https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/
>>
>Ichiyamamoto in makuuchi
WE'RE DOING IT BOYS
WE'RE FINALLY GETTING THE FABLED 0-15 MAKUUCHI DEBUT
>>
>>52981
basically Abi needs a zensho yusho to be back in makuuchi: not going to happen

Hokuseiho at Ms2 just needs not to fuck up his tachiai to land in juryo: doable
>>
>>
Ikioi retired

https://sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=487
>>
File: abi_last5.jpg (15 KB, 189x226)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>53010
>not going to happen
In the last 5 tournaments, he either won it all or lost it all. hes coming in off that back to back yushos. going to crush juryo
>>
>>53057
Zenshoing juryo is extremely rare. I wouldn't be surprised if he yushos, but with a 14-1 or 13-2. The gap between upper makushita and juryo is still vast, both because of the doubled number of matches and the fact that the juryo veterans specialize in negative sumo so they don't get demoted.
>>
>>53024
I hope he keeps singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJFYX8SRj8s
>>
>>53010
>Abi needs a zensho yusho to be back in makuuchi
Well, he'll make it there. Just not in the basho after this one.

Hokuseihou is probably a lock for promotion unless he completely collapses.
>>
>>
>>53113
This tournament is honestly one of the best convergence of top-level storylines in a while. Teru and Taka are both contenders for yokozuna, in Taka's case only the second Japanese yokozuna in over 30 years, and in Teru's case a miraculous comeback after his two years of hell dealing with injuries that sent him all the way back to division 5. And then you have Hakuho, the literal greatest of all time, coming back for potentially one last run, trying to cockblock them from yokozuna and trying to prove time hasn't caught up to him yet. It'll be disappointing if Taka chokes and one or both of the Mongolians bows out to injury again, but right now this is the most I've looked forward to a tournament in a long time.
>>
Just been thinking about all the loose clay that gets kicked around during a match and how diligently they sweep it all back smooth between.
Have rikishi during a televised bout ever disturbed the surface clay enough to create any noticable shapes in it, i.e:, has any shuffle of feet managed to draw kanji/faces/a giant penis on the dohyo?
Legit question.
>>
>>53060
i wasn't serious. i actually hope he gets stuck in juryo. hate his style of sumo
>>
>>53135
No dick painting, but last year (?) someone managed to fall off hard enough to demolish part of an edge of the dohyo.
>>
>>53114
>Takakeisho ... contender for yokozuna
a literally false statement
>>
>>53160
No way in fuck they don't give it to him if he yushos this tournament.
>>
bump limit reach, i think we should go on an make a proper sumo general. /sumo/
>>
>>53168
Bruh /xs/ is slow, this thread will still last until /sp/ makes their basho thread.
>>
>>53169
yeah, i mean make one when the thread is close to dying
>>
>>53167
You have no idea what you're talking about. The YDC never even mentioned him.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.